Sports

Utah Jazz: Deron Williams says he'll miss team, fans

Comments

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 11:40 a.m.

It seemed to me like the rest of the team was just standing around on offense watching D-Will play most of the time.

Once in awhile the other players would move to get open, or if a play was called that involved them being a decoy or setting a screen. But there wasn't much improvising, or attempts to break down the defense and find their weaknesses, going on most of the time. If you weren't required to move on the play... just stand there and let your defender cover you without expending any effort and even be free to double somebody if needed. The defender knows they don't have to worry about you. You're not moving... you must not be part of the play.

D-Will wasn't getting much consistent effort from his supporting staff. Now and then yes... but consistent all out effort... no. I can't blame him for being frustrated.

I hope fans don't boo him when he comes back to play us. He's a good guy.

• amgolfer Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:28 a.m.

I cannot lie as I have been very bummed since I heard about the DWill trade...man will I miss him and his game...Top notch in my opinion and I will ALWAYS follow his game no matter where he lands..He deserves to be surrounded by winners and for a change to win a championship. DWill, again thank you for all you have done for the MAJORITY of us fans. There will always be the few minority that will bash you but again they are the minority and without class. I salute you and your family and I sincerely hope you find peace.....I look forward to watching you in the future buddy. Now, I am not fair-weathered but I appreciated a STAR when one comes around.....You are one classy dude and thank you for the kind remarks about being here and Jazz nation...

• amgolfer Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:22 a.m.

@CJ Miles--buddy I can't lie but at first I couldn't stand you but that has all changed as I really appreciated your last post and others. You are making a lot of sense and sorry for doubting you.....I'm not fully on the same page as you are regarding CJ but I can be patient as I know he has major upside. Again, thx and let's get Memo the heck out of here

@Bugoff--I appreciate your insight as well. I am not thrilled about Greg--you seem to be praising him a lot and I feel he has had absolutely no backbone (not his father for sure)....only time will tell whether he can function at a higher level. I am not a fan and I thought how he handled the DWill trade was classless.

I will miss DWill a lot and we should all be appreciative of what he has done for us...CLASS ACT how he left as I can't say the same for the Jazz Org. Only time will tell what direction we will go. We have a lost a star and great person....SAD..

• ohplease springfield, il
    Feb. 24, 2011 7:37 p.m.

Deron has displayed nothing but class since this surprise trade. The Jazz organization, however, exhibited no class whatsoever in how it was handled. Deron found out that he was traded while watching a report of the trade on ESPN. Furthermore, the Jazz could have waited until AFTER the Mavs game to inform Deron of the trade. He was in Dallas, his hometown, and his mother, high school coach and many friends had been provided tickets by Deron to attend the game. He didn't deserve to be embarrassed like that. To his credit, Deron has had only positive things to say about the Jazz organization. I don't know that I could have been so generous.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 5:49 p.m.

We all make mistakes. When I was 25, nobody could tell me I was wrong. Maybe Deron will mature somewhat once he finds a place he will like. Deron appears to have a mentality of your are blessed to have me rather than I am blessed.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Players come and go...we'll miss Sloan. Thanks D-Will for being the straw that broke the camel's back. Enjoy your championships with the Nets.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 24, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Dwill will become an international super star in NJ or move on to Dallas or another franchise that is committed to winning.

The Jazz could trade Millsap after Favors develops. I suspect they will keep him as long as his salary is reasonable.

Moving DWill had several motives. Money was a major one. Lowering the Lux tax (plus 3 mill cash) helped a lot.

Do the Jazz need a Max Money PG? Why not get a good PG and put the money into the RIGHT wing?

AJ, Millsap and Favors are relatively cost effective. As AK and Okur's salaries adjust the Jazz have a lot of resources to buy a championship.

The big money was in the wrong contracts/positions.

Greg is making changes. He may make some wrong ones but he will be quick to fix mistakes.

If DWill can be moved anybody on this team can be moved.

Greg could have waited for the new CBA. He moved now to get Favors,picks and save money.

This year was a bust. No outside shooting killed the Jazz. Sloan was gone and the stubborn continuity went with him.

Greg didn't want DWill to become a Boozer saga.

• overtaxedinUT Draper, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 2:46 p.m.

If Deron really wanted to extend his contract and play with the Jazz, he has a great opportunity. Keep his wife and kid here in Utah while he "temporarily" plays in NJ. Next year he opts out and signs with the Jazz. Not only does he get to play for the Jazz and the Jazz fans, but he will be returning to a team that has been strengthened by three lottery picks (Favors, the potentially top 5 pick we just got from NJ, and Harris).

Unfortunately, Deron didn't want to remain with the Jazz and that is why a trade had to happen.

And by the way, why isn't anyone talking about the $5 million or so that the Jazz just saved. It's still a business and I believe this was yet another factor Greg Miller and O'Conner considered in deciding to make this trade.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 24, 2011 2:32 p.m.

Bugoff:

The Jazz will not be trading CJ. The next trade will be one of the pf's Millsap or Jefferson. I don't think Jefferson is moveable. Millsap is very moveable.

Unless the Jazz want another max contract, AK is not going either.

No one wants Bell unless packaged with Millsap.

Elston and Price are a waste. I can't beleive we didn't move them with Dwill. I found it very strange that the Jazz only traded Dwill when they could have moved a few others off the bench in the deal.

Hopefully the Jazz can rid themselves of Memo's contract next year. What a waste of money he is.

• Utah.sports.fan Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 24, 2011 2:28 p.m.

It still makes me just laugh when a typical Jazz fan or a subjective outside observer claims to know what happened in the Sloan/Johnson resignation and/or the Williams trade. No one but the individuals involved will ever know exactly what transpired unless Sloan/Williams/management, etc., comes out and tell us straightforward (and even then, it would be hard to know if they're holding back or sugar coating the facts), so please stop with your speculations. How would you like it if everyone started critizing how you run your household, raise your kids, or manage your finances without first-hand acknowledge of your situation. I applaud all the opinions about what has transpired or what you may believe should happen next, as long as it is just that, your opinion, but please don't profess to know why or how things happened unless you happen to be one of the few insiders that do.

• jp3 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Thanks D-Will, it's been a great ride. Best of luck, we'll miss you.

• cedar Holladay, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 1:48 p.m.

i was so glad when we got deron but in the last while i could tell he was getting to hate being here and when he threw the ball so hard at the rookie and was mad at him i thought oh oh. we have the fifth or sixth pick and with the new picks as we had none this year we could trade to a team behind us in the draft and still their next years number one and get jummer. nothing to lose but i think jummer might be a great scorer. the new rookie kid we are getting is possibly compaired to dwight howard only younger. fun fun. the draft day is so fun when we get high picks.
    thanks.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 24, 2011 1:44 p.m.

OKC and POR just got a lot better. OKC got Perkins for the middle and POR got Wallace for a song. They are fixing their weaknesses.

The Jazz will take longer to rebuild. It looks like AK will be one of the wings of the future.

They have to have one, preferably two more complete game wings who can run the offense, shoot and play D.

Hayward and Bell are going to have to improve shooting efficiency. CJ is pretty much the player he is. Hayward has another year to develop.

Bell and CJ could get replaced by complete game wings who can shoot, set picks and play D.

Since Greg has taken over he has shuffled a lot of players. It is a new era and I strongly suspect that he will continue to try to fix the weaknesses of the Jazz.

Favors is a good start.

Greg may make mistakes but he is making moves.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 24, 2011 1:37 p.m.

The Jazz have to have wings who can shoot, and who will set picks and play defense.

It is not just a matter of the Jazz getting better shooters. They also have to do the dirty work, make the offense run and play D (Hornacek).

AK is pretty close but needs to be a better shooter.

Bell should be ideal but has struggled.

CJ is a sporadic shooter/defender.

Hayward so far is not a shooter.

The wing problem is front and center now with the loss of DWill.

The offense will not run they way it has to because of the lack of shooting in the PG/wings. The paint will pack. The bigs will have no room. PG can't penetrate.

However, getting wings who can shoot, set picks and play D is a lot more problematic than just finding chuckers who can shoot or non shooting wings who will do the other stuff (Brewer).

The Jazz now have the picks to fix this problem. It will take time.

They do not need big names. They need efficient shooters who will do the non shooting tasks required by the Sloan offense/defense.

This takes time.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 24, 2011 1:36 p.m.

There have been several variations of the Sloan offense.

In the early days they ran with a traditional BIG defensive C and mostly ran the offense thru Stockton/Malone.

Last year with the Boozer/Millsap small ball they ran a 2 PF offense and 2 wings and a shooting PG. What was run on the left side was a mirror of the right side plays. The defensive match ups dictated which side.

For the most part this year they continued the 2 PF set but it tends to bog when the ball goes to AJ. Lately Corbin has modified it some.

With a non shooting PG (Watson/Harris) the shooting of the wings is crucial to success.

The wings have to have shooting capability to open the inside for the bigs and also to allow the non shooting PG to penetrate.

Sloan was reluctant to get wings who could shoot as they tended to shoot instead of set picks and run the offense. He could get away with that to some extent as long as DWill could shoot well.

It is a new game now with a non shooting PG. Favors is perfect for the 2 PF set.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 24, 2011 1:31 p.m.

OKC and POR just got a lot better.

• Al Bundy murray, ut
    Feb. 24, 2011 1:19 p.m.

I wonder if the Jazz could have kept him if a few moves were made? I also wonder if he might have considered staying if so many fans did't throw him under the bus over Sloan??? Maybe he was a bit surley this year due to the fact the Jazz have made some dumb moves???

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I'm glad to hear D-Will is not bitter. Now I can only hope the fans feel the same way.

I know it's going to be hard for the fans to move on... but I hope we can all do it. Dwelling on the past is good for nothing.

---

I'm not mad a D-Will personally, but I am a little upset about this. Not because he dissed us or anything (after all... the team traded him... he didn't quit on the team). The thing that bothers me is the ongoing fact that star_players (with few exceptions)... won't play in a "Small Market"... like SLC.

That's sad. People in small_cities who wholeheartedly support their team deserve to be part of the REAL_NBA... not some sub_NBA_league that is allowed to play season_games... but the playoffs and the finals are reserved for the elite_cities where the real talent is consolidated insuring the small_market_teams never stand a chance.

I guess I have big_market_envy... Nothing I can do about it... LA, Boston, etc will always have 3-4 all_stars and we will struggle to keep ONE.

Heck... Even_if_we_DRAFT_ONE... They leave when they become a star.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 12:22 p.m.

I love the drama of those "I'm done with the Jazz after this trade!"... seriously? You'd have rather Deron came back, we win 45-50 games next year, lose in the first round, and watch as he leaves for Dallas and we get nothing in return? At least now we have a chance to build something again.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 12:08 p.m.

I wish Deron well and think he showed class in this interview. I doubt if he is that sad as I am betting he planned to leave Utah after next year anyway. NJ could lose him then also so I am thinking this is a big gamble for them. I think Jazz management should be praised for this move. It avoids a "carmello" type distraction next year, gets some good return talent and the two draft choices will likely be lottery picks which could be HUGE for the Jazz.

• gcp52 Lehi, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 12:00 p.m.

Deron might have been very out spoken while playing here, but he has shown some class in his departure. However, I do think this might be the best thing for the Jazz organization and for D-Will.

Good luck in Jersey (you will probably need it)

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 24, 2011 11:50 a.m.

To all BYU fans:

This is a Professional Basketball article. Not your lowly Cougars. They have their own pages on here. Please stay over there because no one cares about your Cougars on here!!!

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 11:45 a.m.

This is the best Jazz trade of all time...I still cannot believe it!

DeRon is a great player with a poor attitude & would have never resigned with us...I do not think he will resign with NJ either.

NJ will be left with nothing...we will have 4 lottery picks and 3 million in cash!

Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

I feel bad for New Jersey...I Really do!

DeRon says that he will miss the fans...I just want DeRon to know we will miss Jerry Sloan very much and I hope DeRon enjoys Joysey!

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 11:39 a.m.

D-Will you are missed already you were great to us in Utah, its a sad day but we fans will have to move on.......

God speed #8, go show the the East how its done

Thanks for what you brought to the community, dodgeball will never be the same :)

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 11:35 a.m.

re:Draft dumbie Let's not go and get crazy and try to do what Bronco has done for BYU. First of all, BYU and the Jazz are two totally different ball games. One being pro and one being college. And second, we don't want the Jazz to become a Bronco program and I will just leave it at that.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 24, 2011 11:06 a.m.

The Jazz just lost their best player. One of the best in the NBA. They are not going to be a better team next week because they traded Dwill.

However, Dwill was not going to stay in Utah after next year or he would have been more vocal about staying. What Dwill didn't realize is the Jazz would trade him to a worse team. Dwill thought he was in control like LeBron was in control of his new team. Greg outsmarted Dwill. Great business move by Greg.

With the draft picks and Favors being so young, the Jazz have potential to improve the team over the next few years. If Jefferson is truly their center, then Millsap will be the next to go or he will come off the bench.

AK will not be traded. His 17 million in expiring contract is great for the Jazz to keep.

Now Dwill has to get used to losing because that's what happens when you are in New Jersey.

I love the fact that an owner turned the table on a NBA allstar and traded him away.

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Thanks for your hard work and effort D-Will. You will be missed. Godspeed and good luck in your new venture with the Nets.

You are truley a class act!

• blauch Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 10:47 a.m.

Losing Williams makes this team a worst team on the field. All Stars are very difficult to replace. Anyone who says it was a good move is wrong. It was a necessary bad move. Necessary because I think that he would have been gone so now is the time to rebuild.

As far as when this started it was when the Jazz signed Memo to that 2 year contract. Had the Jazz let Memo and Boozer the Jazz could have kept Matthews. The Jazz would have been 5 million less in salary.

Going forward - The Jazz will need trade Memo

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Superstars might be done in Utah for now, but only for now. We'll have others, and who knows who on the current team will step up now.

Good for DWill for not bashing the team, but it was time for a change. Especially when the Jazz got so much for him. It's been obvious this season that he didn't want to be here, his play has been slightly off and his game a step slower. Good for the Jazz for making this change and for making it now.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Fair thee well D Will. I think this trade was in everyone's best interest.

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 9:46 a.m.

he was going to leave anyways. smart move in my eyes

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 24, 2011 9:38 a.m.

This was Greg's decision. NJ inquired about AK and did not come up with a deal. KOC ask if there were anything else and NJ laughed and asked if Williams was available.

KOC said they were serious if NJ were serious. It was fast and unplanned on NJs part.

Greg needed to dump the Lux Tax (losing team). He was not getting AK moved. Greg felt he needed to go in another direction at PG in the long run.

AND nobody wanted a Melo Circus. NJ was motivated and Utah always wanted Favors.

The Jazz are rebuilding with a PG who does not shoot as much.

They fixed the front line (pretty much) and now will concentrate on the wings. The wings have to shoot more.

The Jazz appear to be comfortable with AK unless something moves today.

MN is still talking but the move may be at the end of the season. Flynn may replace Harris depending on performance/salary cap etc.

The shooting wings and defense are the next 2 moves. The wings are easier.

Greg is not afraid to shake the box. He is somewhere between Mark Cuban and continuity Sloan.

• Dreylon Yuba City, CA
    Feb. 24, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Well I guess I am done following basketball since this team isn't going anywhere and somehow we end up keeping Kirilenko of all players and Okur when they should have been the ones getting traded before Deron Williams was a consideration. I don't expect to see the playoffs for a long, long time since it will take a miracle to get us back to being respectable and able to compete ever again given the general aversion to playing in Utah. I can only imagine that Larry Miller is rolling over in his grave with the way things have gone

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 8:02 a.m.

As Jerry Sloan used to say, it's about this year, not next year. Owners have to maximize their team results every year, not say we are going to put together the pieces together and make a legitimate run every 7 to 10 years. That is baloney. If teams draft a premier player in a small market, that player is prone to leave for greener pastures these days for the megabucks in a bright lights bigger market; and Boozer and Williams are not two of those players in my judgement. Neither one of these players is good enough to take a team to the promised land. It takes multiple players. Even Wade and Labron are going to find it difficult. The diehards in this market will just have to realize that it continues to be a business that has tilted over the years to the players moving around for the bucks and bright light markets, and that's the way it is. The new players coming to the Jazz will not be happy over the long, or even the short haul. They will be looking for greener pastures if they are even good enough to elevate the Jazz results.

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 7:53 a.m.

Class act, Deron. He didn't have to do any interviews but he did. He seems at peace. Good luck DWill. Thanks for all you've done for the Jazz and this community. We will miss you and keep tabs on your career from here.

DWill is a competitor but always one of the good guys with class and a big heart. We love you Deron!

• Draft dumbie Farmington, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 7:50 a.m.

I think the Jazz would do well to imitate what Bronco Mendenhall did down at BYU, in order to perpetuate the Jazz culture. The Jazz could bring in Stockton, Malone, Eaton and "Big Dog" Carr (and maybe Harpring) to hold clinics for the Jazz players much like Hornacek has done the past two or three years. Along with teaching the young Jazz the Jazz system and tricks of the NBA to maximize their talents, these Jazz legends could teach the young players the Jazz attitude of hard work and toughness, as well.

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    Feb. 24, 2011 6:34 a.m.

Funny, Mailman . . wasn't doom and gloom the prediction when Stock and Malone left? Didn't happen. Every franchise will have lousy seasons now and then, but lousy decades are the result of short-sighted, illogical management (Minnesota) or a narcissistic, penny-pinching owner (Clips). The Jazz have neither.

I've always liked that the Jazz are buyers rather than sellers when it comes to trades. When you trade a player like D-Will when he's playing as well as he has, you get value. When you wait until it's clear he's gone as a free agent or is coming off a down year or injury, you get table scraps. His value is not going to get higher than it is now, and that's why they got a borderline all-star and a retroactive #3 pick in last year's draft. I give them a B+.

It's the same mentality that has prevented them from trading AK when fans and media have been yammering on about it. If the perception is that you're "dumping" a player, you'll get hosed, and good owners/GM's know it.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 6:13 a.m.

Those comment from Deron are the comments of a classy guy. He may be surly, but he's a winner. Best of luck to you and your family Deron! you will be missed here.

• What's up? Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 5:59 a.m.

Look for D-Will in Dallas next year.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Feb. 24, 2011 2:22 a.m.

Deron is the best PG today...there's no doubt about that...and im still a huge fan of his...but with how management not getting into the thick of the deals...and grab pieces that would essentially make us better...i think D-Will deserves better teammates to win...if we have the roster that we had last year and add hayward and evans in it...or some other guy and evans on the team...we would have been top 3 in the west...if the management were more active chasing free agents and getting into trades...we could've had a decent team that could rival any other team out there...im also sick and tired of fans saying that...no player would want to come to Utah...if you keep saying that then no one would ever will...come on people let's be positive...and show them that this team has the most awesome fan base there is...im hoping that D-Will gets a solid future and hoping that the jazz could rebuild and get solid pieces to bring the franchise back on its feet....

• carpediem Holladay, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 2:04 a.m.

D-Will, hands down was and still is the funnest player to watch in the NBA. My second favorite team just became the Nets.

• concerned jazz fan Park City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 1:26 a.m.

D-Will should thank the Jazz for the trade, it will help him to move on, I think he is struggling mentally after what happen regarding the resigning of coach Sloan, I think he is distracted on that issue, I think he will have a hard time moving forward if he still remains with Utah, so for the best interest of both parties, a trade must happen.

• cactusflats American Fork, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 12:08 a.m.

Wishing Deron the best. He has always been a class act in Utah, giving many hours and dollars to charity. His dour demeanor at times was no worse than John Stockton's. Deron wants to win, and he will. Sad to see him go. Let the rebuilding begin.

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:51 p.m.

He is a great star just not a good fit for the Jazz organization. I hope that he can continue to do well.

• the Mailman Melbourne, Victoria
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:34 p.m.

Similar sentiments to the previous comments. Deron was always all class.

Too good for this organisation in a sense. He is a winner while the Jazz are only inerested in being competitive.

The Jazz and its fans are now gonna know what its like to support a team like the T-Wolves or the Clippers.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:24 p.m.

DWill will be an international super star. That is something the Jazz could not do for him.

He will have to put up with Avery Johnson's coaching style. The Nets will have to buy a better supporting cast but DWill will do fine.

Thanks for 6 years of playing hard and pushing the Jazz to get better. I will keep on eye on how you are doing.

You have a lot of Jazz friends who are grateful for your contribution.

Best Regards

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:15 p.m.

Cool of him to talk to them about this after he was traded.

He didn't have to give this interview to Boler, but he did. He could have left and said, nah im traded, see ya later.

But he didn't and he reflected on his time here. GL Deron!

• Dustin Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:06 p.m.

It hurts even worse to see how classy he is about everything. I will always be a DWill fan. Not sure this was the best trade. Now we have four capable Power Forwards (if you include AK). That is a lot of talent to be sitting the bench.

Re-building is the way we are going I guess.

• ohplease springfield, il
    Feb. 23, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Blessings and the best of luck to Deron. He has shown a lot more class than the fairweather Jazz fan base.

• TonganNinja Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 10:28 p.m.

D-Will wish you well just not against the Jazz.

And thank you for not throwing the franchise under the bus