Sports

BYU basketball: Colorado State needs signature win at BYU

Comments

• Hedge-hog Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 8:28 p.m.

2 out of 3 not bad:

No - Did not beat spread, 'cause CSU wanted to make it a foul fest instead of playing straight up.
    Yes - 4 in dbl figures, 1 w/ 9 (call that 5).
    Yes - Jimmer 30+.

Must really bug Kewg fans when I'm right about how GREAT their team is.

• WinSum Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 23, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Signature Win Needed.....for CSU or MWC & their future??? Seems a bit like MWC officials may be pulling a bit too much for those remaining in the MWC ... ??? Just curious, as for years I have been a supporter of the MWC.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 23, 2011 6:39 p.m.

Cougs should win this, but to think they would easily win without Fredette is, in my opinion, a silly concept. They are Fredette +4. Nothing wrong with that, a team can go pretty far in the Big Dance with that kind of set-up.

Also, if there's anything worse than a troll it's an imposter. llegehog, hedgelog, and Hedge-hog: try gaining your own identity and following like the real Hedgehog of Ann Arbor.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    Feb. 23, 2011 6:12 p.m.

One word to describe Hedgehog's posting abilities: G I M M I C K. It could also apply to how the Yewts have slipped by UNM and CSU.

Ironically the best thing for the trolls would be to root for Jimmer to play tonight, so they don't have to come up with an explanation as to why BYU beat CSU without him.

Go Cougs!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 23, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Love the Hedge-hog! Finally a hog that has some sense.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 3:28 p.m.

hedge is the Lloyd Christmas to chris b's Harry Dunne

Mark it Down!

• Hedge-hog Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 3:24 p.m.

Attn: All tds fans,

You should be optimistic! Tonight you'll easily beat the 13.5 pt spread, 5 kewgs in double digits, and Jimmer will be hot shooting for the home crowd w/ 30+. What's to follow? All wins to end the season in heartwarming fashion.

MARK IT DOWN!

• stokethefire The Planet, Earth
    Feb. 23, 2011 3:11 p.m.

heg is a sideshow to the Jimmershow. Sideshows attract momentary interest due to their weirdness or strangness. Still we are really here for the main event and that is another BYU win.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 23, 2011 3:00 p.m.

lledgehog

That was too funny!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 23, 2011 2:39 p.m.

POY--Who wins the prognosticater of the year award?

Hedgehog vs Chris B.

Mark this down--neither.

• lledgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 23, 2011 1:56 p.m.

@fresnogirl
    What? Exactly half of the comments are by me or reference me. (I know. I count them. Always.) If I were a troll, no one would even ack, awk, acknowlege that I exist.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 23, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Hey Everybody,

I marked down Wedgie's last "Mark It Down" prediction which finally filled up my paper of Wedgie's "Mark It Down" predictions. The amount of predictions was ponderous indeed!

Since I don't want to waste paper, I ceremoniously placed it's proper place:

Lining the bottom of a birdcage.

• Delmar the Amazing Las vegas, NV
    Feb. 23, 2011 1:45 p.m.

No chance for CSU. With or without Fredette. But Fredette won't be out. What dorks are doing the game on the mtn?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 23, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Based on H-hog's prediction tonight is a guaranteed win. Re: G I M M I C K - H-dog is the biggest gimmick known to man.

Re: Trolls - H-hog-dog is the only troll here.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 23, 2011 1:33 p.m.

When you are ranked in the top ten there is no place for childish fear of an opponent you already beat 94-85. You get them at home and in looking at the CSU schedule they lost to Hampton for crying out loud, some of you(mostly Utesie trolls of course) are acting like this is some top 25 powerhouse coming to town. Yes they may be desperate but that won't guarantee some kind of miracle win.
    The SNOT is a desperate team and they just keep on losing. BYU will rout CSU tonight and Hedgiehogg will be the first one to post a pointless comment followed by Chrissy B. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

• stokethefire The Planet, Earth
    Feb. 23, 2011 1:12 p.m.

If the Rams were a threat, they would be winning at home against teams like UNLV. All the angst and hand-wringing are unnecessary, the Cougars will win this thing running away with or without Jimmer.

Hedgie will start predicting a blow-out against SDSU and so on. Mindless ranting from a small, insect eating mammal.

Heg, try running those stats for the season and see if they are still in your favor. I thought not.

Go Cougs.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 23, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Hedgehog,

Actually ... since you are on the BYU boards spewing negativity, that make YOU the Troll. But thanks for playing, better luck next time.

• IBleedBlue Provo, Utah
    Feb. 23, 2011 12:13 p.m.

I sure as heck hope that you are all right. We definitely should beat CSU. I'm just worried that a desperate team with nothing to lose and everything to prove coming in against a team with a monumental matchup looming ahead and an injured Jimmer could be upset alert...I'm very hopeful and think that we will pull it out, I just think that the Rammies are definitely going to come in with some fire.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:57 a.m.

CSU is going to be G I M M I C K E D tonight
    Mark it down!!

And the Dukies will pommel the Owls!! #1

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Please give us more Utah Troll predictions to "Mark Down". Can't get enough of those!

Oh, and since the leading scorer in the nation on a team that is 25-2 is called a G I M M I C K, why don't other teams use the same G I M M I C K? It would appear that the G I M M I C K works quite well, doesn't it? Every team should be wanting a
    G I M M I C K of their own.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:41 a.m.

Attn: All tds trolls,

Enjoy your last few days of optimism. Tonight you'll some how slip by CSU - even though jimer will need to "jack" up 40 shots to get 21 points.

What's to follow? 3 straight loses to end the season in heartbreaking fashion.

MARK IT DOWN!

• "Stalwart" North Salt Lake, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Questions and answers?
    1. Will BYU look past CSU looking at the bigger game Sat. with SDSU?
    Answer- No. Fredette's injury may limit his minutes. Guys will step up. It's at the MC.
    2. Does CSU have the talent to beat BYU?
    Answer- Yes, although I was disappointed they couldn't beat UNLV at Ft. Collins. CSU has to play their best game of the year.
    3. Who has a big night?
    Psychic Stalwart says look for Davies to shine along with Rogers and Emery.
    4. Prediciton- BYU 74-60 in a CSU slow down game.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 23, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Hard winning in Provo. Cougs hedging to a high seeding.

Except for being annoyed by a couple negative ute fans, congratulations to the ute basketball team. I believe Boylen is a good coach working with new players in a tough league.

Go Cougs!

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Without fredette this could get scary.
    Cougs by 4 without him.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 10:24 a.m.

A bunch of us fans sitting in the west side near the basket enjoy seeing the colorful posters brought by the student section. We have a great view of the byu offense in the first half and their stellar defense in the second. We anxiously await our teams performance tonight. Play relaxed and drain the 3 ball. csu won't know what him them. Cougars by 15. Fredette goes 30+.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 9:53 a.m.

It should be a hard fought game, but still a Cougar W. After all, the Rams aren't the mighty runnin' utes so the Cougs will actually have to show up to win. The ute trolls must be ecstatic after their monumental win at home over the feared TCU Frogs.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Feb. 23, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Re: "Delmar the Amazing"-- Amen! Tonight's game should not even be close and one that allows Jimmer to rest more and be ready for Saturday. This will be the game of the year for the bench. FYI-- Steve Fisher has gone on record to remind "The Show" students to be loud & proud on Saturday but be classy-- for them not to cross the line. As an SDSU alumn who long ago left the Red & Black to cheer on my adopted-Cougs, I'm glad Fisher and other SDSU athletic officials came out on the record to remind the students.

Hey, Hedg: Still waiting for some indepth analysis of your Utes on the hardcourt. They're simply dominating the MWC this season and should do even better in the Pac 12, huh? Thanks for your continuing support of the Cougs and our Jimmer!

• Jakeplays Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 23, 2011 9:48 a.m.

You read my mind orem fan.

• Jakeplays Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 23, 2011 9:43 a.m.

Oh Hedgie...I love the smell of envy in the morning.

I wish Jimmer had more to his game than what you claim. It would be awesome if instead of shooting 35%, he actually shot 46.6%. It would be even more awesome if he could shoot like say...41.7% from 3 range. Just imagine if he could average over 4 assists per game. But oh well...even so he's averaging 27.2 ppg by just running into people and jacking up balls. I hate gimmick players. He's so one sided. He can't even shoot the ball.

• fan in orem Orem, Utah
    Feb. 23, 2011 9:30 a.m.

No, hedgehog, you are confused. TJ was talking about an average game for Jimmer (50% shooting, 27 points, 5 assists). He was *not* talking about an average game for a player for the School North of Town (snot). It is the utes who average 35% and have to struggle to score 50 points at home against the worst team in the conference. Thanks for playing, though.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 23, 2011 9:09 a.m.

"Should be a hard fought game. If Jimmer plays an average game I predict a BYU double digit win"

TJ,

Shooting 35% and averaging more turnovers than assists? Just imagine if jimer had more to his game than running into the opponent and jacking up balls.

G I M M I C K

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 8:09 a.m.

Should be a hard fought game. If Jimmer plays an average game I predict a BYU double digit win. If Jimmer does not play or shoots poorly, it could be very close.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 23, 2011 7:55 a.m.

There is more pressure on the Cougars to win than CSU because of BYU's home winning streak and the race for the MWC championship. CSU is playing for pride and a possible NCAA tournament bid. BYU is playing for that and much more. BYU by 11.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 23, 2011 7:21 a.m.

We'll be there supporting our team!

Go Cougars!