Sports

Utah Jazz: Deron Williams scores 5 with 7 assists in West's win

Comments

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Feb. 22, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Memo to CJ Miles:

Fesenko is an imposter in the league. He has no NBA skills. Quit pretending he has. It is not about desire; it's about lack of ability. I truly believe Deron has made a paria out of himself, as in persona nongrata, by participating in seeing that Jerry Sloan is gone. His trade value has diminished considerably. Who wants someone who bellyaches, cries and moans and gets dinged up all the time. This team is on the verge of folding the tent. They might as well shut down Okur for the year. AK is histoie, as they say in French. Take a look at the rest of the roster, and man for man the Jazz do not stack up favorably with any of the contending teams. No defense against the bigtime teams. The team is laughable...take a look at the faces of Kobe, Labron, Wade, and the rest of the elite players when they play the Jazz. That says it all.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 21, 2011 9:43 p.m.

To the DWill Bashers.

You could always trade him to the Clips for Barron Davis. That ought to fix all that ails the Jazz (tongue in cheek).

NOW stop and think about that. That is just what you are likely to get for running DWill out of town.

I find myself agreeing more and more with CJ. He is making a lot of sense.

27 mill buys a lot of talent.

If there were a decent Big available HOU would have already grabbed him. Fes have veto power over any trade. He just has to get his head together and make it with the Jazz.

DWill has a bad leg and a bad shooting wrist. That will fix. However, the Jazz offense need BOTH AJ and Millsap playing well together at the same time.

The Defense needs a major adjustment. It was effective early in the year. It is rather poor now.

Sloan had a reputation for D but the Jazz have not been a decent D team for 5 or more years. The best D they have played was in Nov of 2010.

AK is the only trad chip. What can you get in return (salary dump)?

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 21, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Fes has the size to be a very productive center. The question is does Fes have the desire to be a productive center? He is young and immature and could grow into something over time. But he doesn't seem to care to be an NBA player.

I hope it was Jerry that made him a bad player. If so, he should start to show his true colors soon.

CJ would be a more consistent scorer if Jerry hadn't have turned him into a headcase with his lack of minutes. Corbin gives CJ his minutes, CJ will step it up. He just needs his coach to stand behind him and allow him to grow into a star for the Jazz. CJ has all the tools to be an elite player in the West.

I like AK for 8 million. Not 17 million. But if I were AK, I wouldn't waste my talents in Utah.

AJ needs to learn how to play with better players and pass the ball and re-post. His decision making in the post is suspect at best.

• gazelle Murray, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 6:17 p.m.

I guess I am different. I think these players that make millions bouncing a ball are the ones who should appreciate what they have.

A chance to play for the best fans in the NBA priceless !!!!

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 3:44 p.m.

Miles: I agree that with money available we have options but I like AK and hope they resign him for about half of what he is making.
    We do need some outside shooting to support DWill and CJ (CJ needs to become consistent), Hayward hopefully will step up.
    It would be nice to get a center with Fes's size/bulk/length that could score but there isn't a closet full of those kind of centers waiting to be snatched up. Fes doesn't look that good because he rushes/hurries all his moves and shots. If he would calm down & slow down he would be able to contribute.
    CCoaching could be a factor in whether or not he develops. Sloan, IMO, was one of the reasons he didn't develop, plus Fes's immaturity. I hope he is maturing and can start to contribute. I wouldn't care if he contributed like Eaton used to, clog the middle, intimidate, block a few shots and rebound.
    IMU we don't have a 1st rnd draft pick this year, so KOC needs to make some trades/moves that can bring in some players to fill our needs.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 21, 2011 3:26 p.m.

Fes is not the answer. The answer is finishing the year out and AK's 17 million contract going with it. Next season, Memo will be in the last year of a 10 million dollar contract and will be trade bait.

27 million will buy you a lot of good to replace the bad. 10 million gets you a descent center. 10 million more gets you two descent shooters.

• Al Bundy murray, ut
    Feb. 21, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Another note

We lost Brewer, Mathews,Korver and Boozer. All are doing well in Chicago! And Mathews is a Stud in Portland! Give D-will a chance with the new guys!I think the old crew is stonger? Maybe that added to both D-Will and Sloan's frustration? I will however give the new crew a chance, when healthy they may suprise us? GO JAZZ!!!!

• amgolfer Provo, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 2:31 p.m.

People lay off DWill. You are all running him out town. Be appreciative of his play-YES, he is one of the best. Can anyone find me a quote that said, "I want to got o NY?" No you can't. I will continue to believe or hope that DWill will want to stay if we ca pick up some talent to surround him. Be patient as we have AK coming off the books.....you know what we could get for 17-18 mill?? I didn't even mention Memo. It seriously worries me that we have so many fickle fans. Again, lay off DWill and hope/pray he stays aboard b/c we WILL not find a better replacement anytime soon. Also, lets get over the Malone, Stockton and Sloan era. WE cannot change the past and dwelling there is pointless. Go JAZZ and DWill......
    @ scodyshootfight-- you serious? Who wouldn't take a top 5 PG? You say he's not that good but in the top 5???? Very confused buddy. Anyone would take a TOP 5 PG....think about it before you make such a comment.

• ankleBreaker Sandy, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 2:20 p.m.

It has been a frustrating year for D-Will and Jazz fans. But with all this going on and the Jazz in a "slump" they are still in the playoff picture. They've been in a slump just like this and bounced back just fine. They'll be fine and prob get a 5 or 6 seed. You all act like your world is over...it's really not.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 2:18 p.m.

I would love to see the Jazz be able to trade Okur, but I don't see that as a real possibility. I love AK when he is healthy, he isn't a good shooter but he does so many other things well.
    I think we need to give Corbin a chance, he will communicate better with the players, and hopefully they will respond, I have seen good effort the last 2 games, defense is a problem though. We need more size in the middle than AJ and Paul give us. They need to play Fes more.
    Ten more games and we should have a better idea of what's going on.

• Al Bundy murray, ut
    Feb. 21, 2011 1:07 p.m.

D-Will is that good!!! He will probably leave because of all the bad Sloan press? The problem the Jazz have is they don't have enough outside shooters to spread the floor, and we aren't very big. A healthy Memo would help a ton! I may be wrong but wasnt Deron player of the month the first two? Also we as fans need to move past Sloan, he wasn't going to coach forever!

Cheer the players that are there and give the new coach a chance! Jerry,John and Karl are gone!

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 1:06 p.m.

AMEN CJ!

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 21, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Losing Dwill would be the worst thing this team could do. He and CJ are the only two legit players on this team along with Millsap off the bench.

AJ is fine if the Jazz add another big. But AJ and Millsap together is a bad news.

Bell needs to come off the bench.

With AK contract gone and trading Memos expiring contract, the Jazz have plenty of room to add a big and another shooter. But they need a legit center who can score and play defense.

• Dolly Sandy, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 12:32 p.m.

If Deron is going to go when his current contract expires, then he is going to go. That will be his decision/right at that time. These "what if's" are going to drive everybody (me included) crazy. We can't go back and change anything that has already happened...regrets, yes, but that's it. All of this negativity is not going to help anything. This Jazz team/coaching staff/owners/etc. have their challenges cut out for them. If they lose the fans as well, then what is the point? As long as the efforts are there (with some wins thrown in), what more can be asked of them? They are not trying to lose, I don't believe. Perhaps some moral support will help the situation. I don't know.....

Go Jazzboys in their remaining games! Just do your best, and I will as well.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Feb. 21, 2011 11:41 a.m.

I think our cancer's were called Andrei Kirilenko and Carlos Boozer.

• scodyshootfight KC, MO
    Feb. 21, 2011 11:32 a.m.

Newsflash...D-Will isn't that good! People right now shouldn't refer to him as a superstar. He is maybe the 5th best PG in the league, and it is dumb to pay PGs max dollars anyway. If you're gonna pay a PG max dollars, he had better be in the top two. Combine this with his attitude and body language and bad leadership skills, and I'm confused as to why "Jazz nation" wants him to stick around. I have been watching for the past month and I just thought to myself, "Dang, I have no confidence that any shot he takes is going to go in." I still haven't gotten over throwing the ball at Hayward either.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 10:12 a.m.

NEWS FLASH: This team was in trouble before Sloan quit. Dont blame Deron either.

The Jazz know that they made a mistake with not matching Mathews, not bringing Korver back, trading Brewer and Maynor for cap space.

I think they have broke even with replacing Boozer.

Not having the talent in the back court has been a major problem all year long, Bell is not the answer.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 10:06 a.m.

I have to admit, those who speak so negatively of Sloan and/or D-Will remind me of what the nay-sayers did to the Denver Broncos a few years back. So many Bronco naysayers now say they would have been better off with Shanahan.

Lay off D-Will. He brings his best effort to each and every game. He has done a great job running Sloan's offense, and not some strange derivation of Sloan's offense. He is working hard at improving his defense. He is working very hard to help his teammates work within the offense. He is helping his teammates bring intensity and enjoyment to every game.

• holt56 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Thanks, media of Salt Lake and elsewhere. YOU drummed up the connection between Deron William's argument with Jerry Sloan and Sloan's sudden resignation. Now it's seen as the truth by JazzNation. Plus Deron is injured, is in a shooting slump. Fans are ready to run him out of town on a rail! Just like they did with Karl Malone when he wanted to leave his last year to pursue a championship. Despite the 18 years of dedicated service he gave to the franchise. Now fans are willing to get any hack player from a loser team in here just to get rid of D-Will. It's pathetic. Utah fans do not deserve to have a professional team in their state, if we're going to be a bunch of ingrates and fair weather supporters.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Feb. 21, 2011 10:01 a.m.

There is one area that I agree with Williams...Sloan's gruff persona, while it may have worked for him. He was tired, uncommunicative, and
    not as enthused on the side line. I look to Popovich and how he spent time this summer working with his players. I just do not think Sloan would have done that. I wonder how many pizzas he shared with Williams or cappacino's. Maybe a different approach might finally get the Jazz to the promised land.

• Dalew Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 9:36 a.m.

I'm so sick of Utah fans raggin on D-Will. He's super competitive, plays hard, at his best is one of the top 3 point guards in the league, and WINNING IS HIS TOP PRIORITY!!!! Sure, he's slumping a little right now, give the guy a break. Should we just start running every player out of town as soon as they hit a little slump?

Free agents won't ever want to come to Utah when they see so called "fans" turning their backs on a guy who's given his all to the franchise since he's been here.

Wake up everybody.

• Utes001 Magna, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Looks to me like the "writing's" on the...arm... er the wall here. The Jazz need to get rid of Ill-Will, No-Will, Living-Will, whatever you "Will" call him. I think his poor demeanor started about 2 1/2 years ago, when he made the Olympic roster. Until then, his game had been improving every year. He was more humble and he played with a lot of fire in his belly because everyone doubted him.

However, I firmly believe that that summer of hanging around and being influenced by the likes of "Black Mamba" and "King Traitor," etc., have tainted this kid. They opened his eyes to a different path and he's chosen to go down it. If the Jazz are not careful this franchise will end up just like Cleveland's; in the toilet. The evidence is already there that it is heading that way.

I think that this kid is showing his true colors; slowly but surely, and if the Jazz don't do something to address it, they will get burned just like the Cavs. I hope that the Miller group, etc. and our fans will not be as naieve as they were.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Feb. 21, 2011 8:43 a.m.

Assists in an all-star game where absolutely no defense is played is a big deal? I watched about 2 or 3 minutes of each half until I got so nauseated I had to quit. What a sham these all star games are. Williams re-tweaks his wrist late in the 4th quarter, and now his whinning will continue. I'm sick of this ink splattered whinner, and now would be a super time to trade him to a real bottom feeding team and not let him do the choosing. I agree with Tomo's comment but would sweeten the pot to get the job done including C.J. and anyone else needed to complete the deal. A.K. better be re-located within days or he is just another loss without compensation in return, because he "is" headed to the Nets through free agency if not traded! Get something done Kevin!

• Oklahoma Ute Oklahoma City, OK
    Feb. 21, 2011 7:56 a.m.

D-Will, you rock. Great performance. Hope to see many more in SLC in years to come...

• tomo keystone heights, fl.
    Feb. 21, 2011 7:35 a.m.

Since D-illwill wants to go to the knicks, why don't we thwart his wishes (he already got one wish) and send him and a #1 pick to the Pacers for Granger and Collison. Bump illwill!!

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 21, 2011 6:15 a.m.

Coach "I'll Decide" Williams Didn't use his plan A or plan B to light up the classic. Wonder how come??? I thought he was the one who knew more about winning than mere hall of famer's. Heck I guess since it was only an all star game..."I'll Decided" decided not to be a showboat and save himself for the remainder of the season.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2011 12:16 a.m.

I guess he should of been MVP huh?.... NOT!!!!

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 11:39 p.m.

Deron would have had about 12 assists if his running mates would have finnished some easy shots.........

Go get um D-Will in the second half don't give any of the nay sayers out there any more reasons to doubt you..........

Put the Jazz on your back and carry them you are the man you have been for the past 4 and 5 years so go get um........

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 11:39 p.m.

If Williams wants to go to the Knicks, the Jazz should trade him for anybody else on the Knicks' roster tomorrow.