BYU football: Former MWC rivals TCU, BYU to play in Cowboys Stadium

• glenrd3 South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Patterson how does that crow taste, Good move for BYU especially wih all the players TCU is losing.

Feb. 19, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Yes, BYU has a bigger national following due to two things. They have a long history and tradition of dominating the WAC and MWC. They also have a lot of fans who are fans simply because they are members of the Church. The Church following is similar to Notre Dame and there is no way Utah can compete with that. We have to rely on the more traditional fan base for college teams which is our alumni.

However, I remind you that not to long ago ESPN was trying to get the annual rivalry game played on Thanksgiving Day to go head to head with the NFL teams. Even though both teams turned ESPN down on that one, you can't ignore the Utes role in that. So we have been involved in discussions of so called made for TV game.

I think it's time for me to move on so just let me reiterate the good luck wish that I started with and hope it goes well for BYU.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 8:45 a.m.

Howard S. | 8:46 p.m. Feb. 18, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT
    @Veritas Aequitas

"KWhitt can only take you so far, then, again the Utes will be unranked..."

Reality babe.

It can only take you so far....

Ranked #5, then what was your final AP rank this year??? (Others getting votes).

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 19, 2011 8:35 a.m.

Here is one question that seems to be at the root of this whole debate: Would any of the major networks ever arrange a game like this for the Utes?

Maybe...but they never have. Utah hasn't been included in a made-for-tv game because there is NO national interest in Utah Football, even if they have been invited to the Pac 12.

Hence, in 2011 most Ute games will be broadcast on Fox Regional...except when they get to play on National TV for their little trip down to Provo!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:02 p.m.

Re Independent 2:54

I show BYU playing La Tech on Nov 5 in LA, and 13 games total. The article indicated there were 13 games. Have I missed something?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:46 p.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

"KWhitt can only take you so far, then, again the Utes will be unranked..."

So, VA are relating your "back from the future" experience?

Or are you just expressing a hope, wish and desire that the Utes fail in the PAC 12?

Oh, and if you're really "back from the future" should I go short or long in the market?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:13 p.m.

Dutchman | 8:00 p.m. Feb. 18, 2011
    Murray, UT

And that has what impact on the University of Utah football team?

It's like saying that the BYU faculty intrepation of the Dead Sea Scrolls will influence Jake Heaps chances of gettin the Heisman...

Let's look at reality, for just one second.

The Utes had the respect to go to #5, then dropped out of the AP.

What are you looking at for next year. KWhitt can only take you so far, then, again the Utes will be unranked, and looking for the NC????

Give the rest of us a break.

Earn it on the field, and not on an invite.

I expect BYU to earn it on the field.

Do you expect less from the U???

Like basketball?

Do it on the field, and stop the hypotheticals....

Both you and HowardS.....

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:05 p.m.

I say go dutchman... Your points are valid in your mind... You rock....

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:00 p.m.

Funny, and I am still waiting for you to tell me how you and/or people in Marysville have never heard of the University of Utah when Seattle dentist Barney Clark was the first recipient of an artificial heart at the world renowned U of U Medical Center. Oh, and a recipient of the Nobel Prize in Medicine comes from this unknown university. A few other things you must have missed since never hearing of the U:

2002 winter olympics since the opening and closing ceremonies where held there

1979 national ncaa basketball final four and national championship game with Larry Bird and Magic Johnson held at the U

1998 national ncaa basketball title game between Kentucky and Utah

2009 sugar bowl game between Utah and Alabama

Just a very short list of things you must of missed and your friends too who never heard of the U. Barney Clark heard of it though. Silly him.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:48 p.m.

Mormon Ute

Are you done writing your essays yet? Seriously, the DN server only has so much storage space.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:45 p.m.

If we are all arrogant, then you would have fit right in.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:23 p.m.

I get a kick out of how to some Utah fans, being a happy BYU Cougar puts you perpetually on the edge of a Nephite pride cycle. I remember entering BYU and finding out how bafflingly arrogant I was by the more-broad-minded-than-thou Utes. I might have been acceptable to them if I began to be ashamed of BYU. If I had only told myself that I am an island of sanity in a sea of self-righteousness which is BYU, I might have overcome my pride. But alas, I am a lost cause.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 6:28 p.m.

Counter Intelligence:
    Have you ever listened to U fans? "I am better because I dont think I am better therefore I really am better".

That has to be the best comment ever. Love it.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 6:12 p.m.

I also travel to away games. I have been to Oregon a few times, Arizona and UCLA. Every time Utah's allotment of tickets from the host school has been sold out. That was true of Notre Dame and the sugar bowl so I don't know where the assertion came that Utah turned back tickets to the sugar bowl. I have friends who bought $130 tickets to the sugar bowl and then had no way to get there from Utah. If you don't believe Utah travels well maybe you can use your influence to get Oregon or Washington to release more tickets to the visiting school. I used Notre Dame as an example of what all college football fans should aspire to regarding hospitality and sportsmanship including Utah and BYU. I am truly thrilled that the church is at a point in membership that BYU fans can be found close enough to most major sports venues. That being said it is a major hit to travel a 1,000 + miles to watch your team and fork over all the expenses involved. Please have some respect for that. That was your smack down on me.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Feb. 18, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Please stop talking about BYU everyone. They are irrelevant now that they are independent. No one cares about them. No one wants to play them. They weren't the flagship of both the MWC and the WAC. Oops, my fingers were crossed.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 5:11 p.m.

Counter Intelligence:

because the Moderator is a Ute.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Feb. 18, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Interesting how the comments to every BYU sports story ends up being taken over by "Ute fans" (or is it just BYU haters?).

Perhaps one of the psych PHD or an MD candidate at that vaunted medical school would consider studying the perrenial BYU envy on the local newspaper's comment boards as the basis for a dissertation.

I'm sick of hearing Ute trolls yapping about how BYU and UU are rivals. Utah is a regional school. Except for medical students and gymnasts, who from outside the intermountain west *ever* selects UU as their first choice school? Meanwhile BYU turns away thousands of applicants from all over the world, and well more than half the BYU student body--and fan base--is not from the I-15 corridor.

Rivals? Im still looking for that one person who applied to both the UofU and BYU and was accepted at BYU but *not* at UU. Still waiting . . .

• J1234 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Feb. 18, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Hedgehog telling BYU fans that BYU doesn't match up against TCU is classic! Haha

Can we all say:

Utah 7
    TCU 47

Thanks for worrying about us so much Hedgehog...

@Mormon Ute

Why are you wasting your time commenting on the BYU board? Is it getting too boring listening to the same old thing on Utah comment boards?

• eagle Provo, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Good schedule shaping up for next year but will BYU get some good games at home. Next year's home schedule with the exception of Utah seems pretty ho-hum. Will this be the case in the future, a lot of good games against quality opponents on the road while playing basically the WAC at home

Feb. 18, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Again, I'm not discounting anything BYU has accomplished, but you also can't deny the Utes have earned what we've gotten and only were held out of the national title picture by forces beyond our control.

Alpine Coug,

Oh no, I'm not playing word games. You said BYU has accomplished far more than Utah ever will. That's not tearing us down? Telling someone they cannot succeed at a higher level than they have before? How is that a positive? How is that wishing us well? If I told my teenager that, I'd be setting her up for failure. Apology accepted.

Yes, many Ute fans are a disgrace to the teams and the school. I wish the administration and the coaches would do more to change the atmosphere. As far as the pre-game stuff. I'd ask the BYU players to abandone the haka. In polynesian cultures it is meant as a challenge to your enemies and many Utah players are polynesian as well. If the BYU players don't want to provoke anything, leave the haka in the locker room.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Mormon Ute

Actually, an anti-trust, restraint of trade lawsuit is a very viable option, and you can be sure BYU wouldn't be going it alone. The Cougars would have lots of financial supporters and friends of the court filings to aid them.

btw, I'm a Utah graduate as is my father and many of my uncles, cousins, and friends; I've attended many Utah-BYU basketball and football games dating back to the 70's and I've been a strong supporter of both schools for years.

Unfortunately, the classless, boorish behavior of a sizeable portion of Utah's fan base (mostly just BYU haters) has made it very difficult to continue supporting the Utes in sports.

I still have great respect for the academic institution, but little respect for Utah's football and basketball teams.

The near pre-game brawls initiated by Utah's football team the last couple of years and Utah fans kicking snow on Bronco and shouting profanities during his post-game press conference this year simply confirm the classless nature of many Utah fans.

I was a big supporter of Utah's 1998, 2004 and 2008 teams, but, lately, not its fans.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 4:04 p.m.

Have to give BYU a lot of credit, they've put together a very good schedule in a short period of time. It's great to have so many top caliber teams coming onto Utah and BYU's schedule with the PAC 12 and independent moves they've made... a great time to be a football fan in Utah!

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 4:02 p.m.

@ Mormon Ute

Better re-read my post again brother. Note very carefully that I did not tear down the Utes-but continue to wish them the very best. Still playing word games I see. Perhaps I owe you an apology and came down too hard on you when my thoughts were aimed at some of your fellow Ute fans-who I suspect are not really Utah fans-but BYU haters and trolls.

@ Dutchman

Who said anything about hospitality of Notre Dame fans. They were absolutely some of the very nicest people anywhere. And after the Oklahoma game in Dallas in 2009, nothing but genuine niceness from their fans to ours. No smack talk or yelling-nothing but respect. Something that I have felt almost everywhere I have ever attended a BYU football game. With one glaring exception-RES.

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    Feb. 18, 2011 4:01 p.m.

re: WA_Alum&Dad

Well said.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 3:36 p.m.

Mormon Ute

Utah deserved a shot at the 2004 and 2008 titles, but to say that Utah would have won the NC except for the BCS simply ignores history.

In 1979, BYU finished the regular season undefeated, but the Cougars were only ranked #9 in the final regular season polls. None of the national media even mentioned undefeated BYU as a possible national championship contender.

It tooks a series of 1- and 2-loss Top 12 finishes, with a couple of big bowl wins over SMU and Missouri thrown in, before BYU earned enough national respect to warrant consideration as a serious national championship contender.

Even with an 11-1 record and two road wins over Top 15 teams, BYU still only finished #7 in both polls 1983.

Utah, with no previous track record didn't even crack to the Top 20 in 2003 and was unranked in 2007.

Compare BYU's record, year-by-year, from 1979 to 1984 with Utah's record from 1999 to 2004, and from 2003 to 2008, and you'll see an enormous difference in overall record and Top 25 finishes for BYU and Utah.

Feb. 18, 2011 3:33 p.m.

Alpine Coug (continued),

So quit tearing down the Utes. I have never torn down BYU or disprespected their tradition. I have always wished them the best against everybody but the Utes. Be careful about generalizations, because they will come back to bite you. I have no doubt BYU will continue to do well, but I also have no doubt BYU will continue to struggle like all schools outside the BCS conferences for recognition. Until the NCAA has the guts to take control of what they should.

Yes, I am fully aware of TCU's graduates. I also know that many people predicted the demise of their defense a year ago only for them to be even better and finish the season ranked number 1 including stopping the best running team in the country. Gary Patterson has built a solid program, not just a team. Again, sincerely, good luck. I hope you beat them as soundly as the beat us. It would be fun to have another crack at them, but sadly I don't see that happening in the near future.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Feb. 18, 2011 3:31 p.m.

I've come to the conclusion that way too many college sports fans are cheering for the wrong teams. If winning is your only priority, and getting the absolute best athletes is how to do it, then you should really be cheering for an NFL or NBA team, and there are lots of them out there to cheer for. I'm sorry the state of Utah doesn't have its own NFL franchise. Root for the Broncos for heaven's sake.

The BYU Faithful I know root for their school first, and the particular sports team on the field/court second. We expect the athletes who currently wear the white and blue to be ambassadors for our alma mater. BYU is why the Cougars fans come out, win or lose, home or away. Seeing our team members be good men and women & examples for our kids is way more important than any particular final score. If the team wins while living the standards, that's frosting for the cake. Why does that send so many of you non-BYU sports fans around the bend?

If winning the national championship is The Most Important Thing, cheer for The Packers!

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    Feb. 18, 2011 3:27 p.m.

Dutchman Dude. Take it easy (methinks thou doth protest too much). Smackdown? My point was simply Utah does not travel that well. Sure the numbers are great in the 3 biggest games in their history, but whose isn't? Like I mentioned, I've seen Utah play at Oregon and at SDSU and their fan support was very underwhelming.

You proved my point in your post, BYU fans only need to travel 100 miles because they have (wait for it....) a NATIONAL presence. Congrats on sending lots of fans to ND. Now, will you show up in force at Pitt next year? Will we see huge fan support week in and week out in Pullman, Seattle, Corvallis, Tuscon, SoCal, etc. I'll be there when Utah plays the Oregon schools (but since I live less than 100 miles away I guess I don't count).

And fyi, ND fans were gracious to us too, and OU fans, and Penn St, and Florida State, etc, etc. Your point? I'm surprised you'd bring up "graciousness" after that tantrum of a post.

Feb. 18, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Let's be honest, the only leg to stand on with a law suit is that taxpayer funded schools are being treated unfairly in the BCS system. If BYU wants to have a legal team plead their case, that would be their right, but Congress will not fight the battle for one private school. BTW, if that's all it takes for the smoking gun, why wasn't TCU's situation this year considered that smoking gun?

Alpine Coug,

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... You come down on me for your perception that I am tearing down BYU's tradition and not giving them their due and then you claim the Utes will never reach similar accomplishments. A prediction you cannot possibly make and which tears down the Utes far more than anything I have ever said. I have on many occaisions wished BYU well and said independence was the right choice for them. You see my caution about TCU as a put down, but take note I sat there in our stadium and watched them take apart a previously undefeated team that had only had one close game all year.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Alpine Coug and Oregonian,

Nice try at a smack down. I graduated from BYU but left your fan base because of arrogance like yours. Yes, I am still very active in the LDS Church. I say that because I know what you are thinking. Every inbound flight to New Orleans for the sugar bowl was sold out. Ute fans were flying into neighboring states and then driving over to attend the game. The airlines admitted that they should have added more flights but it was the beginning of the recession. How were we supposed to get there, answer me that since you both know it all. Unlike most BYU fans the fans at Notre Dame were gracious and super friendly. I am surprised that with all the experience you have with Notre Dame that you have learned nothing about their hospitality. Many Notre Dame fans told me after the "beat down" that they were astounded how many Ute fans were there. Unlike BYU fans who many come from maybe 100 miles away, almost all Ute fans come all the way from Utah. I was told Utah brought the most visitors that season.

Feb. 18, 2011 2:48 p.m.

I agree 100% about the opinion polls. I am and always have been a proponent of a playoff. It always bothered me that so many questioned BYU's title, because they said it was based on opinion. So why do you put down what the Utes did in 2004 and 2008? Don't we deserve respect for stepping up to the challenge? Our 2004 team had the longest active win streak going into the Fiesta Bowl in the country. It went back to the prior year. Kyle Wittingham did nearly the same thing spanning the 2007 and 2008 seasons. I know some BYU fans who are still chapped by the fact the Wittingham chose the U over BYU and that is why they refuse to acknowledge what he has done. I hope you are not one of those.

I didn't slam BYU, but sincerely wished you luck and expressed a warning based on what TCU did to us last season. I cheer for BYU against everyone but Utah and I hope you win. As for my display name, that comes from having my religious allegiance questioned too many times by BYU fans.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 2:48 p.m.

MormonUte, are you aware that TCU is graduating 20 of 22 starters from both sides of the ball? The 2011 version of the Frogs is going to be vastly different than the last 2 or 3 years. That includes their qb, Kerley, and ALL of the offensive line. They will reload, but not without some growing pains. BYU lost very few starters and most of the impact players were freshmen. I like our chances with TCU.

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 2:37 p.m.

@ Mormon Ute

C'mon man, we appreciate your ardor/passion for your Utes, but you're tilting at windmills and playing mind/word games about who is better. Bottom line: BYU has a long four decades plus tradition of playing excellent football and it has gained them national recognition.

A ESPN article published this past year listed BYU as #25 on it's list of the All-Time Top 50 Football programs with Utah lingering at #43 as a johnny come lately.

For one I applaud Ute for its recent success and love Kyle Whittingham. I wish you nothing but the best in the new PAC-12. Truly wish that you could do the same for BYU as an independent.

But, for the love of heaven will you and your fellow (minority) Ute fans quit trying to tear down BYU and its tradition of excellence. We have been places and experienced successes that you will never see. It is an absolute fact to say that Utah has piggybacked on BYU's long trail of excellence.

Trust me when I say that BYU will continue to excel in Athletics until day Trustees pull plug and say enough! Probably sooner than later.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Have no fear.

I'm sure ESPN will help the BCS rethink their "rules" if BYU finishes high enough in the polls.

At the very least, the last thing the BCS wants is a Top 5 ranked BYU team getting passed over for a BCS game in favor of a lower-ranked at-large team from a "BCS" conference.

Calls for a class-action lawsuit and congressional investigations against the BCS would start the moment the BCS selections were announced.

And this time, the anti-BCS forces would have the smoking gun they've lacked in the past to make their case.

Feb. 18, 2011 2:31 p.m.

I agree, going independent was a good move for BYU. The MWC was breaking up, the TV deal stinks and the revenue was not enough to compete with the BCS. No argument there. BYU will be better off on their own than staying in the MWC. Too bad the WAC deal didn't work out for the other sports.

All of you who are touting the Big East invites, let's remember the Big East the conference barely alive in the BCS. They keep sending non-ranked conference champions into BCS bowls to get slaughtered and they finally invited TCU to elevate their level of play and hopefully stay alive in the BCS. Their conference RPI has consistently finished below the MWC, WAC and Conf. USA for the past 5 years.

As I have said before, good luck with TCU. With the team we had in 2008 it wasn't a problem, but with the team we have now and the team you have it doesn't look promising.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Mormon Ute, you tell Veritas that you are not Yning, but just defending your school. You were the 11th comment on this article, and you need to read it. I did not see you defend your school, but I did see you slam BYU that they would get exposed by TCU.

Don't play like you are on the defense when you are the one who is talking smack about BYU first. If you don't like the comments made about the Utes, then maybe you need to stop talking smack about BYU. By the way, "Mormon Ute" says all we need to know about U.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Mormon Ute

In 1944, the NCAA tournament was the new kid on the block, playing second fiddle to the more prestigious NIT. That's why Utah turned their NCAA invitation and accepted their NIT instead.

Not only that, but do you really think that a team that only played 3 regular season games deserves a shot at a national championship? Especially when the few remaining teams were made up almost entirely of Freshmen and Sophomores because all of the upper classmen had been drafted into the military?

Utah's entire 1943-44 regular season schedule

Idaho State (twice)
    Colorado College

In 1984, BYU finished the season on a 24-game winning streak that included two road wins over Top 15 teams. With most of the 1983 team returning in 1984, BYU had already established its credentials as a very good team, despite the fact that BYU's biggest name opponents, Pittsburgh and Michigan, both finished with less than stellar seasons.

btw, as much as BCS supporters like to pretend it's not, the major college football national champion is still determined by the opinion polls. That will never change until we have a playoff.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Feb. 18, 2011 1:50 p.m.

Mormon Ute

There's always been a big boys club in major college football.

Go back and check out the pre-season Top 20 polls from the 70's and 80's and you'll find the usual group of suspects, in slightly different order, were ranked every year.

BYU stepped into a perfect storm in 1984. A great team preceeded by several other great teams, and enough blemishes on all of the other contenders that even the big boys club couldn't justify not giving the national championship to BYU.

Washington and Nebraska were both invited to play #1 BYU in the Holiday Bowl, but they both chose money and playing in more prestigious bowls over a chance to play for a national championship.

All you have to do is go back to 2003 to see how an undefeated, PAC 12 champion could be left out of the BCS championship game.

Oregon wouldn't have played in the BCS championship game this past season, if Ohio State or Texas had won their conference championship with only one loss.

The big boys club still exists, even within the BCS.

Feb. 18, 2011 1:44 p.m.

The State of Utah and Salt Lake City did. Yes, that was Governor Hunstman on the steps of the City and County Building standing next to Kyle Wittingham.

You need to review the BCS rules. The only way BYU gets in is if the BCS bowl slots cannot be filled by the AQ conferences, the non-AQ conferences (MWC, WAC, Conf. USA, Mid Am, Sun Belt and WAC), or Notre Dame. Only after all the teams in those conferences and Notre Dame fail to rank high enough to fill the BCS spots will any other independent team be considered no matter how highly they are ranked.

Feb. 18, 2011 1:33 p.m.

I was responding to a BYU fan who claimed a national title was won by BYU in 5 different sports. So that has to be more than football and that makes my claim just as valid. How does BYU getting the national title by beating an unranked team in the Holiday Bowl rank higher than the Ute basketball team winning a national tournament endorsed by the NCAA? Help me out with that one. At least a tournament is one on the field not by opinions in the polls.

C'mon any realistic sports fan has to acknowledge that the position all non-AQ football teams are in now is infinitely more difficult than what BYU was in in 1984. This has been proven by 3 teams (including Utah) going undefeated no less than 5 times over the course of 5 years and not one of them even getting a shot at the title game. Even when some have been the only undefeated team left in the country.

Feb. 18, 2011 1:25 p.m.

I'm not whining, just defending my team and my school against unfair and untrue statements from the Cougar faithful who seem to have the need to build themselves up when their team is down by trashing us.

No salivating here. I am very happy with the Utes situation going into the PAC-12. I have no illusions of going undefeated next season, but have hopes of finishing in the top half of the conference and going to a nice bowl game. Then building on that as the recruiting, coaching and competitveness improve.

There was no big boys club when BYU won it all in 1984. Had there been an undefeated team from any of the big 6 conferences there would have been no argument. The big boys network was formed after that happened to make sure it won't happen again. You say the Utes could finish undefeated and be kept out of the title game? That would cause more of an uproar than if the same thing happened to an independent BYU.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 1:22 p.m.

Ah! the sound of jealousy and obsession from the BYU and Mormon haters. You always know something good has happened for BYU when they are Yning this loudly and this much. I will enjoy watching BYU on ESPN 5 or 6 times this year and will catch the rest on BYU's national station. I think they could win 10 or more this year.
    Keep the laughs coming haters? Your desperation makes it that much funnier.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Feb. 18, 2011 1:15 p.m.

September 10th, 2011
    (Utah's big PAC 12 debut)

BYU and Jake Heaps play at Texas

Utah and Jordan Wynn play at USC

Which game will be hyped more by ESPN?

• The Jimmer Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Great schedule change!

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:50 p.m.

It seems only yesterday that the Utes were putting the Cougars in their rear-view mirror, never to be thought of again, as the Utes were heading off to PAC 12 country.

Yet, here we are 8 months later and the same "Utah fans" are still obsessing about BYU.

After seeing what's already happened in basketball with Jimmermania, even with BYU still buried under the MTN, the haters are rightfully scared of what's in store once BYU's exposure through ESPN really starts to kick in.

A couple of big games by Heaps on nationally televised ESPN games against teams like Texas and TCU could completely steal the thunder from Utah's first year in the PAC 12.

After all of the hype, the BYU haters are rightfully concerned.

The fact that they're here, is proof of that.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:48 p.m.

TrollPolice, very true. In fact USF played their first football game in 1997 and became a member of the Big East in 2005. Now we all know why hedgehog's opinion carries no validity.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Well, it's finally time to pay for cable TV, something I have never done before. And I plan to tell my cable company I only need KBYU and the ESPN stations.

To the ankle-biters out there who say Friday night games are a step down from what we had in the MWC: Let's see, trading Saturday games that nobody outside the I-15/I-25 corridor can watch for games I and every other BYU fan all over the nation can watch in our own homes nearly every week? Gee, if you can't figure that out, you truly are dumber than we thought.

It's also ironic that BYU will be playing the reigning Rose Bowl champion long before the UU will. Ha!

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:35 p.m.

"Utah once again takes the crown as being the FIRST non BCS program to be accepted."

Sorry hedgehog, but several non-AQ teams were invited to the Big East long before Utah was invited to the PAC 12.

Utah was simply in the right place at the right time.

Utah's invite had very little to do with the quality of Utah's athletic programs, which except for a declining basketball program and a johnny-come-lately football program haven't even been competitive in the MWC/WAC conferences.

btw, there is no crown for finishing 2nd.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Not true wedgie. I believe Louisville was the first. You are right that Colorado was already a BCS school, but so is Washington State, Baylor, Iowa State, Duke, Kentucky, etc.. You get the point.

Personally, I am happy that Utah got the invite. It is a good move for Utah, just as going indy is proving to be a very good move for BYU, and if you disagree, that is fine because really the only people whose opinions matter on the subject are BYU fans. Which you are obviously not.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 18, 2011 11:59 a.m.

"Me: Your argument loses some of its luster when you consider that the first school invited to the PAC was Colorado"

Cougar in TX,

Colorado was/is a BCS member prior to accepting the nod from the PAC 10. Utah once again takes the crown as being the FIRST non BCS program to be accepted.

All luster, all luster.

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 11:41 a.m.

I'm just jealous and hateful because I know BYU will go undefeated and win the BSC title game this year, getting loads and loads of national EXPOSURE along the way. I'm also more than a little anxious that Jake Heaps will win the Heisman trophy in his sophomore year! Not to mention that Jimmer is going to single-handedly win the NCAA tournament!!

• Cougar in Texas Houston, TX
    Feb. 18, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Mormon Ute: We won two outright conference championships between 2004 and 2008 both with undefeated seasons and both ending in BCS bowls. We were the first team to bust the BCS and the first team to do it twice. That's only a few of the reasons we were invited to join a BCS conference.

Me: Your argument loses some of its luster when you consider that the first school invited to the PAC was Colorado.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 11:15 a.m.

@Howard S

Its not silly its FACT.

You know whats SILLY is what the country and ESPN call the original BCS BUSTER... they say the BSU Broncos not the yewties from the hill.

Thats how irrelevant you will be in the conference of champions

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 11:10 a.m.

"Nobody throws a parade for finishing #2"

Well that isn't exactly true. Most of us wouldn't throw a parade for that but we only have to go back a couple of years ago in Salt Lake City in January to find someone that did just that. LOL

Not only that they were actually having a parade for finishing #4.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 11:05 a.m.

"What world are you living in to possibly think your [COUGS] could go undefeated and play for the BCS championship next year."

Been there, done that. Going undefeated and playing for a national championship, that is.

It might not happen in 2011, but BYU's schedule, which is what the article was all about in the first place, makes it a possibility.

If two or three of BYU's opponents finish in the Top 25, a definite possibility, BYU has a strong enough schedule to be a serious national championship contender with an undefeated season.

Especially with BYU's new television partner hyping BYU like they have Jimmer.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:47 a.m.

IF BYU were to run the table as an independent and be in the top 6, I am confident they would get a BCS invite.

I don't think they will run the table next year, but hypothetically, if they do in the future and were not be invtied to the BCS, there would be a national outcry from all media outlets and the BCS would go down in flames.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Re: True Blue

You have got to be kidding!!! What world are you living in to possibly think your Zoobs could go undefeated and play for the BCS championship next year.

You should be a comic with jokes like that!! You'll be lucky to be .500 next year.

• CG Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:43 a.m.

#1 is better than #2

no matter how you spin it

Nobody throws a parade for finishing #2...

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Again, I don't like to rest on former laurels, but BYU was the original Bowl Alliance (BCS) buster in 1996. No offence to UU, BSU, UH, the Natti, or TCU, because the BCS raised the bar and nothing less than an undefeated season would get you into the BCS. Again, the 6 AQ conferences keep the cash.

The Big East and PAC fell behind in revenue to the Big 10 and SEC, so they invite non-AQ schools to get more revenue. Hence, UU and TCU now get a chair at the table. Good fortune for both schools. UU also increased its institutional stature (which was not done for an athletic benefit) and that appealed to the PAC.

I have heard of no such instituational transformation for TCU. It looked like the Big East needed a strong football program to shore up the conference.

The big 6 schoools find a way to keep the cash always. BYU knows the path it must trod to get to the BCS-No. 1 or 2.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:38 a.m.

"National Championships - try 10 for Utah in two different sports."

How many have the Utah men won by themselves?

Hint: It's less than 1.

Before you start tallying, remember to leave out that bogus 1944 NCAA championship.

Winning the 2nd best tournament of the day doesn't earn you a national championship, especially when most of the country was busy fighting a world war instead of playing basketball.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:25 a.m.

Mormon Ute

The glaring weakness in your argument about the BCS is that even within the BCS there is a pecking order of elite teams.

Utah could go undefeated, win the PAC 12, and STILL get passed over for the BCS championship game by a one-loss Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Florida State, Miami, Oklahoma, Penn State, or Notre Dame.

If it could happen to undefeated USC in 2003, ranked #1 in both polls, don't for a second think it couldn't happen to Utah.

An undefeated or one-loss SEC, Big Ten or Big 12 champion will always be ranked higher in the final BCS poll than an undefeated PAC 12 champion, especially if that champion isn't USC.

Despite the odds against them, BYU busted the college football "big boys club" long before it was called the "BCS".

Don't be too surprised if BYU does it again as an independent.

It probably won't happen, but an undefeated season against Ol' Miss, Texas, Utah, Oregon State, Central Florida, TCU, and Hawaii would make the Cougars very strong candidates for the BCS championship game this year.

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:22 a.m.

Look at all of the BYU obsessed Utes salivating at every movement we make.

Kind of sad, isn't it?

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I don't generally cite successes that happened earlier than 5 years previous. Why? Well, they have no bearing on what we are doing now. Look, I adore BYU, but I don't like to cite 1984 when I talk about what a great team we have. Nobody involved in 1984 is on the field now. Enough. It makes us sound like an old "has been" waxing nostalgic about the "good old days". We are not "has beens". It is fun to reminisce, but shall we not move on? We have good reason to be cautiously optimistic. Nuke 'em, Cougars.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:20 a.m.

5-There were still comments about BYU being included in the PAC-10? Really? BYU in the PAC was never and has never been a consideration. BYU does not have to change to fit into to PAC, nor does the PAC have to change to accept BYU. It is ok. Both will flourish.
    6-Niether ASU or UA have either regretted going to the PAC-10 for a second even though they have gone to a combined two Rose Bowls. The Utes will not regret it either, even if they go 7-5.
    7-The road to the BCS is harder for BYU, but getting to the BCS was not the reason for going independent. An ND exception was not expected. A non-AQ top 6 exception would have been nice and will probably come in the future if BYU makes it to the top 6.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Come on Utes.

Stop whining.

You're in the PAC. Congrats...

But coming on and talking smack just goes to show how insecure you are with the way your team finished last year, getting blown out in the Vegas Bowl by a WAC team. Embarassed and exposed on "ESPN Game-day". Your team dropped from #5 to unranked AP.

Your basketball team has trouble with the last place team in the MWC, and lost to the bottom team in the WCC.

RES and HC are smaller than LES and MC, and are loaded with empty chairs.

All this is going on while BYU has POY candidate Fredette selling out every game at home and on the road.

So Utah fans come on here, Howard sounding like Eeyore, MUte talking about hanging banners for Bowl Games, like that's comparable to BYU's NC and National awards.

Impress me. Hang a banner for last years Vegas Bowl at RES.

Utes are invited to the PAC, and it's killing them with jealousy the reality of "why" the invite, and that BYU once again is coming out ahead.

Time for Ute Fans to curl up like a Hedgehog, and just hide.

Feb. 18, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Just one correction to your comments.

National Championships - try 10 for Utah in two different sports.

How about #1 draft picks at BYU? We had two in one year in the two biggest sports.

Be careful about saying never. At this point we are in the drivers seat of the car ahead of BYU for a shot at the National Title in football.
    Yes, you draw more fans around the country, but that has nothing to do with your success and everything to do with the Church.

Going independent has more to do with being able to play all over the country to give those fans a chance to see you than it does getting a chance at the national title.

As far as big brothers go, remember we were here before you, will be here long after you and are the only university actually founded by your name sake. We are also the only university to graduate a couple of prophets. So get off the big brother wagon, because BYU doesn't have the clout to carry that off.

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:00 a.m.

BYU, with a true Freshman QB, played TCU tougher on the road last season than Utah did at home with their Poinsettia Bowl MVP QB.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about how Utah is going to be able to compete in the PAC 12 when the Utes got torched by two non-AQ teams last season.

BYU didn't even score a TD in that game.
    Utah can say what you just said in 2009. Utah played TCU a whole lot closer @TCU than BYU did at home against TCU. Utah scored 28 points @TCU with their freshman QB, and BYU scored 7 points @home with their Sr. QB.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Mormon Ute

"[Utah] won two outright conference championships between 2004 and 2008 both with undefeated seasons and both ending in BCS bowls."

And still, the Utes never finished higher than 4th in the Coaches poll (the official BCS final poll).

The reason the Utes didn't get a sniff at a championship in 2004 is because prior to 2004, the Utes hadn't done anything of significance since the early 90's. Utah had absolutely no national cachet entering 2004.

The reason the Utes didn't get a sniff at a championship in 2008 is because the Utes once again did absolutely NOTHING between 2004 and 2008.

BYU 1984, on the other hand, finished 1983, 11-1, ranked #7, on an 11-game winnning streak that included two road wins over Top 15 teams.

By the time BYU played Michigan in the Holiday Bowl, the Cougars were ranked #1 in both polls and were on a 23-game winning streak.

Utah has never even come close to matching BYU's 6-year 1979-1984 record and Top 25 finishes leading to BYU's 1984 National Championship.

BYU has the cachet to that again as an independent.

Much to your chagrin.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Whew! Read the vitriol comments. I guess we really have not gotten past this.

1-BYU's schedule will be a true barometer. If they go 10-2, there will be no question of the validity of a top 20 status. SOS won't be an issue. If they go 6-6, it will show how much the Cougs will need to improve to play with the top tier of the AQ conferences.
    2-The same can be said for the Utes in the PAC next year. I wish you the best. The only time I want to see you lose is against the Cougs.
    3-It is interesting that Gary Patterson stated he did not want to play the Cougs, yet here they are. Patterson is eating crow and it will be extra motivation. Patterson will have the Frogs frothing at the mouth. BYU had better strap it on that day.
    4-Independence in football is getting BYU exactly what it wanted-exposure. 6-8 nationally televised games? That is quite a statement.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:42 a.m.

All that glory and no major conference invite and no BCS bowl invites.

It's like major college football doesn't care what happened 20 years ago.

• cougar76 Provo, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:17 a.m.

Mormon Ute | 2:49 p.m. Feb. 17, 2011

You're right!!! The yewts should know everything about being exposed by TCU. The season really went south after that game.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:15 a.m.

@Howard S

You prove our point....

"Even Bottomfeeders, can once in awhile, break through and play in a BCS game.

After all, 10 Teams a year play in the BCS games, including a 4 Loss U-Conn, a D-2 school just 10 years ago.

It's Political, Einstein...

Only One Team is voted Number 1. (rarely two)

Things we will never see on the Hill at "Eccles U"
    (aka U of U).

(1)National Championship (5 Seperate Organizations)
    (7)Sammy Baugh's
    (4)Davey O'Brian's
    (1)Doak Walker
    (7)College Hall of Famers...more to come
    (16)Consensus All-Americans (60)+ All-Americans
    (2)NFL MVP's
    (1)Super Bowl MVP
    (1)Hall of Fame Coach

*65 Thousand fans attending Home games

*Every game Nationally Televised.
    (Football and Basketball)

*And the biggest name in Sports.....ESPN.....
    willing to pay:
    "MILLIONS" for your "BRAND".

BYU has already achieved these things.

Utah has not, nor will they ever.

The U has gone from having One Big Brother(BYU),

to now, having (11) Big Brothers.

How is your National TV schedule coming?

Make way Washington State, there is a new Bottomfeeder in Town.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:06 a.m.

Mormon Ute,

Well said.

Feb. 18, 2011 9:00 a.m.

anti BCS,

Sorry, can't just sit here while you spew lies about the Utes. We won two outright conference championships between 2004 and 2008 both with undefeated seasons and both ending in BCS bowls. We were the first team to bust the BCS and the first team to do it twice. That's only a few of the reasons we were invited to join a BCS conference.

With one or two losses we can be an automatic selection in the BCS as long as we win the conference championship game. With one or two losses BYU has failed to get an at large selection to the BCS how many times in the past 10 years? I've lost track. Now, with one or two losses BYU will be lucky to sniff the top 20 let alone the top 5 it will take to even get the BCS to glance at you.

Feb. 18, 2011 8:50 a.m.

To continue, I sincerely wish BYU has been invited along with Utah into the PAC-10. By not inviting both schools the PAC-10 tipped their hand and revealed their true motivation. They don't really care about keeping natural rivals together anymore. They care about preserving the BCS. They were under pressure from the other BCS conferences to take us out of the mix to help calm the rising chorus calling for a national championship. It is the same reason TCU was invited to the Big East.

BYU going independent has only helped the BCS cause, because it will be infinitely more difficult now for BYU to get into the BCS mix. Boise State is left in a nuetered conference that should serve the BCS purposes. As much as I hate playing into the BCS hands, I have to say we couldn't pass up the chance. Until the NCAA has the guts to stand up to the conferences that control the BCS, this is the only way we have a shot at the title.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:48 a.m.

The MWC is not sad to see BYU go, I guess that's a typical reaction from schools who don't know how they are going to financially make it without the BYU purse.

Maybe instead of being mad at the Cougs, they should call out the real source of the problem...Craig Thompson.

Feb. 18, 2011 8:41 a.m.

No, it is you who are confused. I have been following both BYU and Utah since the late 70's. I am well acquainted with the teams, the players, the records and the history. You must have put your head in the sand after 1984 not to know why Utah, TCU and Boise have never been able to do what BYU did.

It has nothing to do with winning or losing games and everything to do with a system designed to keep us out. That same system is also designed to keep BYU out and was created because of what BYU did in 1984. The complaints about BYU being declared National Champs in January 1985 were loudest from the Big 10 schools who had all seen Michigan that year. Those same schools and their Presidents are some of the most influential in the BCS today. Right now the only path to the National title is through a BCS conference and Utah has done what we had to do to get that opportunity.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:31 a.m.

The reality of Utah being invited to the PAC 12 is the conference needed two teams to act as fillers so they could play a conference championship game.

The Utes were only invited to help pad the win totals for the PAC 12 elites.

With one or two losses, the Utes will never be an at-large BCS selection, and winning conference championships is something the Utes were only able to do about once a decade in the weaker WAC/MWC conferences.

In the PAC 12, the Utes will be lucky to win a conference championship once every couple of decades.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:22 a.m.

"BYU has nowhere near the talent to compete against the TCU's of the world."

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:53 a.m.

"Yes, we know USC cannot play in the CC or any bowl game next year, but what was said is after one loss to USC, what will the Utes be playing for. They could just as easily said "after one loss to UW or ASU,"

I know you're stuck in the Non AQ mind set but the reality of being invited to a BCS conference means you don't have to win out to go to a BCS bowl game.

Outside of USC, I don't see any Souther Division team going undefeated. Infact I see even 3 or 4 loses can get you to the title game..... Utes have a lot to play for throught the ENTIRE season.

Can the tds say that?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:48 a.m.

When just the announcement stirs this much interest, I'd say reality looks pretty good for BYU!

Side note, I live in SE Washington, don't have the bucks to jet set, but within hours of learning the schedule, I had a car load of commits to drive 6 hours one way to see BYU @ Oregon State (although one of them IS a beaver) and even the trip to Pocatello in winter is a no brainer.

BYU football is now way more available than ever before, which apparently ticks some of you off beyond reason, but leaves us giddy with anticipation.

I think some of you have been pushed past the edge of reason. "BYU is nuts for scheduling games it wil probably lose (like Oklahoma)". "BYU is nuts for scheduling WAC patsies (like Utah State)"

Crazy all the way to the bank, and in my back yard. I can live with that!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:41 a.m.

This will be the biggest game ever in that stadium.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:34 a.m.

Re: CocoNutzz

Washington State won the PAC10 in 2002 and played in the Jan 1, 2003 Rose Bowl. Look it up.

BYU had no bowl game in 2002 after losing to Utah.

Also look up that Utah is 11/9 over BYU in the last 20 games and 6/4 over BYU in the last 10.

Also look up that Utah has 2 BCS bowl victories while BYU has yet to be invited to a singe BCS game.

Utah not in the discussion with BYU?

Don't be silly.

Oh, and scoreboard...

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:32 a.m.

So did BYU hose La. Tech or is the game scheduled for @ La. Tech just being rescheduled for a later year?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:27 a.m.

Re: skywalker

If WAC/MWC conference championships were so important to BYU why would they abandon that fabulous glory for independence?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 18, 2011 7:18 a.m.

BYU has nowhere near the talent to compete against the TCU's of the world.

Somehow beating a 6-6 SWAC team in the NM bowl ( which no one watched) has given the tds trolls a sense of false bravado.

What is going to be painfully obvious in the coming years is just how big of talent gap there is between BYU and its BCS competition.

• byu_num_1 Holladay, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 1:21 a.m.

I don't know why we scheduled this game, last few years have been really ugly:
    31-3, 38-7, 32-7.
    Yes they did lose Dalton, but does it matter when we can't score on TCU?

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:19 a.m.

Howard S.

In 1979, Arizona convinced Arizona State to bolt to the PAC 10 with them.

As of today, Arizona and Arizona State, COMBINED, have played in two Rose Bowls, both of them by the Sun Devils.

The Utes have only won 6 WAC/MWC conference championships in the last 50 years.

Winning conference championships is not something the Utes do very often.

So, you may want to hold off on buying your Rose Bowl tickets for a little while because it could be two or three decades before the Utes get there.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:08 a.m.

You're confused.

Beating #1 doesn't win you a national championship.

BEING #1 wins you a national championship!

If you really want to know how BYU finished #1 in 1984, see 1983.

If you really want to know why Utah didn't finish #1 in 2004 or 2008, see 2003 and 2007.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 11:49 p.m.

@Howard s

Yeah that 2002 rose bowl game was really fun to watch. Washington st. was at home enjoying the game as well with the Hurricanes playing Nebraska.

Stop posting lies just like how the yewts think they compare or even remotely in the conversation of BYU athletics. You never will impact sports as how BYU has done for decades. Keep the hating and the jealousy because that's all you will ever have as a yewt fan.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 11:45 p.m.

Howard S.

Unlike some who like to pretend that college football history began in 2004,

BYU has hundreds of thousands of fans who experienced BYU's incredible 1984 season,

from opening kickoff of the first nationally televised college football game ever played on ESPN

to the wire services breaking the news that BYU had been voted #1 in every poll.

Thousands of BYU fans, like me, were at the Miracle Bowl, when BYU won its first bowl game in miraculous fashion;

were at the Holiday Bowl, when Steve Young caught the winning touchdown pass;

and were at the National Championship game, when Robbie Bosco, on a leg he could barely stand on, lead BYU to the go ahead touchdown that clinched BYU's first major college football National Championship.

The memory is just as bright and clear today as it was in January 1985 when we first learned that BYU had been selected concensus National Champions!

There's nothing better than finishing #1.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 11:33 p.m.

Interesting about the comments of 'Good Luck since it is a home game for TCU.'

I was at the BYU/Oklahoma game. Looking at the sea of red there, it was a home game for the Sooners. We know what happened there.

I'd have to say all the doubters about the difficulty of scheduling can go back to their corners now. Texas, Mississippi, TCU, Utah, Hawaii, Oregon State ... not too shabby. And 2011 was supposed to be the difficult year to schedule. Looks like the plan will work just fine. Not only that, but 7 home games, 4 road games, and 1 neutral. Awesome!!

• Veritas Bountiful, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2011 11:33 p.m.

Its a lovely day for Gary Patterson to be seen eating his words... again.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 10:48 p.m.

uteBusters -

"...experienced the absolute pinnacle of major college football..."

Like a distant memory I'm surprised anyone can remember.

But perhaps your Daddy told you all about it.

Feb. 17, 2011 10:46 p.m.

Going into the PAC-12 gives us a better shot at it than BYU being independent. For the record, the Alabama team we beat in 2008 was ranked 3rd when we beat them. What was Michigan ranked in 84? Oh, that's right, they weren't ranked. You can't fault the Utes for a system we have no control over that prevents us from doing what you did. All you have to do is compare the caliber of teams we beat going undefeated with the caliber of teams BYU beat in 1984 and that tells the story. Stand on that 84 title all you want, but I'll take the team we've got and the conference we're going into any day.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 10:44 p.m.

I love it when BYU supporters point to Washington State a bottom feeder of the PAC 10.

Fact: In 2002 when BYU struggled with a 5-7 record in the MWC Washington State was in the Rose Bowl...

You know... the BCS Rose Bowl.

Maybe you wouldn't know... whenever the Cougars go the a BCS game they have to buy tickets.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Mormon Ute

Utah fans like to spin their BCS propaganda, but the BCS didn't prevent the Utes from winning a title in 2004 or 2008.

USC won the AP National Championship in 2003 without playing in the BCS championship game

So you'll have to find another excuse.

The Utes just weren't good enough to be voted #1 in any poll.

In fact, in the Coaches Poll, the poll that officially crowns the BCS champion #1, the Utes have never finished higher than #4!

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Mormon Ute

Just a reminder to you Utah fans that the Cougars have already done what the Utes can only dream of doing:

Win a National Championship!
    Win a Heisman Trophy!

BCS games are fun, but until you've experienced the absolute pinnacle of major college football, you'll never fully appreciate the chasm between finishing #2 and finishing #1.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 10:18 p.m.

Howard S.

How do you like all of those road PAC 12 games Utah has scheduled?

You do know Utah hasn't had a road win over a PAC 10 team with a winning record since 1996, don't you?

2009 at Oregon 17-24
    2007 at Oregon St 7-24
    2006 at UCLA 10-31
    2002 at Arizona 17-23
    2001 at Oregon 10-24
    2000 at Cal 21-24
    1997 at Oregon 13-31
    1996 at Stanford 17-10

Utah seldom wins road games against good teams, especially ranked teams.

But, I guess the Utes won't have to worry about any of those in the "conference of champions" will U?

double oooops!

At least you'll have your new "rival" to console U in your grief.

Washington State is going to enjoy the company!

Meanwhile, when you see highlights of Heaps' big games on ESPN, be sure to turn them off quickly. We wouldn't want you getting too depressed.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 10:12 p.m.

Glad to hear BYU was able to get a deal done to play TCU. This rounds out the schedule very nicely for year number 1 as an independent. Looking forward to the upcoming season, I hope BYU gets revenge on TCU. Im glad they play a good variety of teams from a number of different conferences, should make for a fun and exciting season.

Feb. 17, 2011 10:08 p.m.

Just a reminder to you Cougar fans that the Utes have already done what you hope to do. We've busted the BCS twice and were the first team to do it. We've twice done what you did back in 1984, but thanks to the BCS didn't have a shot at the title. So, we know what it takes to get there and I for one wish you luck (as I already said). You will need some luck, just as the Utes did.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 10:04 p.m.

Re: fresnogirl

"Greg Wrubell does a nice job and all ..."

I know what you mean about Wrubell.

I especially liked his call of the video replay in the Utah game.

"No... that's not possible..."

That was great.

• Gilligan West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 9:49 p.m.

Go to Bleach Reports and read a great article on BYU and independence.
    Go Cougars!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 17, 2011 9:42 p.m.

Some of you are calling this a home game for TCU. As a Cougar Fan who lives in Texas, I will guarantee you that at least 1/2 the fans will be for BYU. When we play OU in Jerry's house, almost 1/2 the fans were BYU.

The series is tied at 5 games a piece. I'm picking the Cougs in this one.

BYU was very smart in scheduling these two games in Texas next year. This will open some recruiting doors to them.

Go Cougs!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Re: deductive reasoning

I love all these games scheduled in the central and eastern time zones.

BYU has winning percentage of about 30% back east.

I think it's the Cougars who should be scared.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 9:28 p.m.

Howard S.

"I love it that BYU is independent. I especially love it that they are a non AQ independent.
    In a few years, and even starting next year you'll see why."

Yes, we will. I'm glad to hear that you are excited to SEE their games on TV too. Greg Wrubell does a nice job and all ... but it's not the same.

• tantheman Lindon, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Gonna be a great year!

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Feb. 17, 2011 8:52 p.m.

What's painfully obvious is the trolls are scared to death of how successful independence could be for BYU and deep down they're extrememly jealous because they know this something Utah could never do.

• Dee J Portland, OR
    Feb. 17, 2011 8:47 p.m.

Permit me to play the part of Hedgehog's math tutor:

Fixed factors:
    - Program foundation
    - ESPN contract
    - Core fan base
    - Big-time games already scheduled
    - Current bowl affiliations

Variable factors:
    - On-field success
    - national TV ratings
    - Future big-time games to be scheduled

- Recruiting success
    - Financial success
    - Bowl success (including potential BCS)

The sum of all the outputs is BYU's level of EXPOSURE - a winning program with all its games nationally televised should logically have a high level of success in all three areas mentioned.

The greater the variable factors, the greater the outputs. And one big fixed factor that's been eliminated: MWC affiliation, which negatively outweighs the variable factors, putting a cap on the output, thus EXPOSURE. Even a 7-6 BYU team in this new model gains more EXPOSURE by far than a 7-6 team toiling in the obscurity of MWC.

But perhaps that's way over your head, so I'll answer the question differently: BYU plays to win. And for the past 40 years, they've done that waaaaay more often than not, and there's no reason to expect that not to continue.

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 8:35 p.m.

@ Dutchman

Thanks for playing, but as with most of your premises you are totally wrong. Over many years as a Cougar fan, I have been privileged to attend games at each of those venues (although game at Superdome was not Sugar Bowl) and many, many more.
    BYU games at Wisconsin, Naval Academy, Boston College at Meadowlands, Cotton Bowl vs Kansas State, Florida State, OU at Cowboys Stadium, UCLA at Rose Bowl, USC at Coliseum, Washington, Holiday Bowl in SanDiego, Arizona, Arizona State, etc., etc.

From my first BYU away game at UW-Madison, I have always been amazed at the sheer number of Cougar fans in attendance. While Utah managed an estimated 5,000-6,000 fans at your beatdown in South Bend last season, both BYU-Notre Dame games I have attended in South Bend has averaged 14,000-16,000 BYU fans in attendance. BYU has sold out it allotment of visiting tickets in almost every game that I have attended. Many local BYU fans resort to buying tickets from the host school ticket offices.

Imagine only having 12,500 Utah fans at the most important game in their history. Shameful. This is not a new phenomena.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 8:22 p.m.

You know these Ute fans just might be right about their chances in the PAC-10.2 for a championship... if they had a QB! (sniff, sniff)

This TCU game is just more proof of how relevant this independent BYU program is.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 8:04 p.m.

Re; fresnogirl-

You must be talking about someone else.

I was begging for BYU to go independent.

In a few years, and even starting next year you'll see why.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 7:47 p.m.

What are they playing for!?! Grammar aside, they play for the love of the game...we play for the love of the game.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 7:41 p.m.

You care enough to read the article and write comments.... Meanwhile, mine was the only comment on the Ute board regarding last night's (then upcoming) bball game for hours and hours. Seems like the team you don't really care about is your own. Too bad. They could really use your support.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 7:33 p.m.

I think it's funny to read the predictions of Howard etc ... the same guys who predicted that Holmoe would be fired for going Independent, that ESPN would have no interest in being our partner, that no one would want to schedule an Independent BYU.

How do those sour grapes taste?

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    Feb. 17, 2011 7:21 p.m.

I find most of the comments funny but I have to respond to one, Dutchman, I wouldn't bring up the Sugar Bowl for Ute attendance. Official figures were 12,500 tickets sold. That's a good number but you also realize you had to give back 5,000 tickets that didn't sell. The biggest game in the history of Utah football and you had to sell tickets back. Contrast that to BYU vs OU in Dallas. A game BYU was supposed to get creamed in and they sold out of their 17,500 tickets. And most of those tickets were distributed by lottery because the demand was so high. Utah doesn't travel. I went to the Utah vs OU game a couple years ago and very underwhelmed by the Utes in attendance. Washington State road fans triples that of Utah. I'll also be at the BYU vs Oregon State game this year and the stadium will be 1/4 or more BYU fans.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 17, 2011 7:11 p.m.

Dropping LA Tech and grabbing this game with TCU is a great move by the Y.

I would caution Y fans predicting a "one-sided" win just because TCU loses a few seniors. Coach Patterson can still coach with the best of them.

Should be a great game. Gotta love college football.

September can't get here fast enough...

• Mrclark Leesburg, VA
    Feb. 17, 2011 7:05 p.m.

I hope BYU fans show up. I went to the BYU vs. Oklahoma game (which was fantastic of course) - I would say only 5-10% of the fans were BYU fans. Yes, it was basically a home game for Oklahoma, but BYU athletics is going to really need to get the word out if we don't want to see an empty stadium. Another tough one is that BYU is already playing in Texas (Austin) this season.

Lucky Texan BYU alumni. They get all the fun.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 7:05 p.m.

Alpine Coug,

"Has there ever been a Utah away game with more than a handful of Ute fans in the seats?"

I-15 construction keeping you locked up in Utah County? Ever hear of the Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Notre Dame at South Bend to mention a few. I attended all of them and more along with many thousands and thousands of red clad Ute fans. Please take the opportunity to get out more.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 17, 2011 6:55 p.m.

Again I ask

What are the tds playing for???

• Dee J Portland, OR
    Feb. 17, 2011 6:52 p.m.

Our dear friend, Mr. "hedgehog:"

You ask, "What exactly are the tds playing for?"

Exposure - E X P O S U R E...

Everyone knows this, it's been well documented in the dozens of articles in this newspaper on which you invariably comment, in the SL Trib, on ESPN and other national sports media outlets - and if you still don't get that, perhaps your remedial math tutor can explain it to you (or the typical 6th grader, take your pick).

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Feb. 17, 2011 6:52 p.m.

Sorry, you couldn't be more wrong. There's a large segment of Utah's fan base that is totally obsessed with BYU. In fact, they wouldn't even be Utah fans if it wasn't for the BYU-Utah rivalry.

See mirror for who I'm talking about.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 17, 2011 6:36 p.m.

Nothing more than cannon fodder for the elite programs.

What exactly are the tds playing for???

It's a forgone conclusion that the tds will be playing in the Kraft Hungry man bowl from now until eternity.

The BCS is laughing at Kewgs. Never will they EVER again have the chance to crash the party.

Well played BCS, well played indeed.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Texas Stadium again ! The frogs will be graduating almost every single starter, the cougars only losing one it could be a one sided affair. There are fun times ahead !

Bring on the " Independent Season " this is going to be a blast !

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:51 p.m.

One other thing. If BYU beat nationally prominent teams at home, all we would hear is "Yeah, but until they beat them on the road..." So now BYU has the opportunity to beat nationally prominent teams on the road. What happens if BYU wins? "Oh, well... umm, they were having a down year." Gotta love it. The only way BYU gets any respect is if they have a crystal ball, schedule the top 12 teams every year, play them at home, but beat them on the road. Physically impossible. Defies all reason and logic, but absolutely necessary to get any respect, because... you're BYU. Oh well. At least their fans get to see the games now, and they get to keep their revenue.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:42 p.m.

I am under no delusions that BYU will run the table next year, or any time soon or that WAC teams are quality opponents. But the fact that they will be playing Texas, Ole Miss, Oregon State, and TCU all in the same year is so much better than watching them play one or two nationally prominent teams plus a bunch of MWC teams. Yes, they will probably lose a bunch of games, but it will be so much more fun to watch. Just think, they play Texas and Idaho State in the same year! Now that's entertainment.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:38 p.m.

The Utes have always had only one game on their schedule...

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:32 p.m.

"After the first loss, at USC, what is Utah playing for?"

Surely by now you've realized you're attacking the wrong guy? I'll forgive you for the oversight.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:11 p.m.

"if they go 12-1 or 7-6 they still go to that fight hunger bowl)"

This is a great point. What exactly are the tds playing for?

Those home games against WAC dormates are going to be a real snooze.

"After the first loss, at USC, what is Utah playing for?"

Tru blew,

You do realize USC can't play in the title game...right? Utah has a more the legit chance of getting to the CC game.... and the just kills the kewgs..LOL!

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:06 p.m.

BYU's "filler" games on ESPN will be more watched, better attended and produce more revenue than any game Utah plays in the PAC 12 next season.

As far as the PAC 12's cadre of bowl games, there's a good chance that a team that can't win road games against PAC 10 opponents won't even qualify for a bowl game.

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Ain't it a great time to be a Cougar!!

You can bet that Jerry Jones is not counting on TCU to bring a lot of fans-who are a lot like Utah fans who just don't show up if they are losing. Even this amazing Rose Bowl year, TCU fans could not fill Jerry World against Oregon State where the stands were only about 2/3 full. With the departure of Andy Dalton we can expect that the Horned Frogs will be down a bit and being the fair weather fans they are, we can expect that there will be far more BYU fans in the stands than TCU fans on October 28th.

Been to two different BYU @ TCU games at Amon Carter stadium over the years and both times found the stands at least 1/3 full of Cougar faithful. You can rest assured that Saturday's 'sell-out' in Fort Worth against Jimmer and the boys will be driven by BYU fans buying tickets.

This my dear Utah friends is the attraction of scheduling BYU. Fans everywhere! Has there ever been a Utah away game with more than a handful of Ute fans in the seats?

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Uh williary seeing as though you just read an article about BYU's football scheduling, then read the entire comment section of the article, then went ahead and posted in the comment section, I would have to say your assertions are less than convincing.

Actually I would have to say they are hilarious. If you truly don't care then we will never hear from you again as you have moved on and will never read another BYU artucle right? We both know that isn't going to be the case.

Silly foolish ute "fan".

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 17, 2011 5:03 p.m.

The utes playing the Cougars on national television. That will be the only national exposure they get next year. Thanks Cougs!

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Excuse me for posting the same message twice, but it seems like a good idea since the Yewet fan seem to be struggling with schedules...

John Valentonic of the Bleacher Report ranked the 25 worst BCS teams for 2011No. 24. Cal, No. 23 Univ of Washington, No. 19 Univ of Arizona, No. 16 Oregon State, No. 12 Colorado, No. 9 UCLA, No. 5 Washington State. In other words, 7 of the worst BCS football teams are in the PAC-12, all are scheduled to play the u. Can you say the Conference of Cupcakes!

I still believe the u can play for the conference championship in 2011. They have one OOC game and two conference games that will be football. BYU, USC and the UO...all other games should be a give me. Nice scheduling...and a good year to be moving to the PAC-12.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:57 p.m.

mt. olympus;
    Who are you trying to convince and of what? It just sounds like jealous ranting and raving. Playing 6 WAC teams? They will have the toughest SOS of all Division 1 teams in Utah. TCU doesn't have to provide a return trip? This is about getting chosen for a nationally televised game because they are a nationally relevant team/school and the organizers wanted the biggest name / draw they could get. After their first loss they will no longer be playing for a national championship. Who is? Even BCS Schools have gone undefeated and NOT gotten into the NC game. It is a mythical championship anyway and will be until there is a playoff. Ute fans should be well aware of this. BYU has some great games and a solid schedule this fall and it will only get better next year. They are getting exactly what they want and how they want it. Play good teams on national tv in places where many BYU fans(this is all over the country by the way)can see them live. What is your issue with that?

• IDC Boise, ID
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Tough schedule. Some of the "big" teams should be down a little. If BYU gets a few bounces, could be a historic year and a great kickoff to independence. Go Cougs.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:51 p.m.

Truth is...rocky long would kill to play us too! Sorry rocky, we don't need you!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:50 p.m.

they've all moved on, except you. A good spokesman for the University of Utah, you are.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Whoa Gary Paterson. What is this. You said you would never play BYU again. I guess the University President told Gary if he wants that big fat paycheck they are paying him he will play BYU in this game because of the big fat payoff. Good ole hypocrisy is alive and well at TCU.

This will indeed be an interesting game.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:23 p.m.

FYI to all the Cougar fans on here. Utah fans no longer care about BYU, it's true. Outside of trying to get a reaction from BYU fans, Utah fans could care less. You guys need to learn to deal with the trolls who want nothing but to get you going. BYU is now just a team on Utah's OOC schedule, that's it. We could care less what happens to BYU. In fact, if it wasn't for sharing a media market and having to hear about the Cougars on occasion, the term BYU would be wiped from the Univerisity of Utah dictionary.

Just go about your day and let the trolls be. They are not Utah fans.

This is an article about BYU football, quit bringing Utah up in the discussion. They've moved on, so should you.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:21 p.m.

"BYU still has to go undefeated to get into a BCS game,"

Who says?

If they go 11-1 some year and lose to an undefeated Texas, for example, who is to say they won't be ranked top ten and get into a BCS game?

Many years even if they don't get into a BCS game BYU could still be one of the top earners in the country with their independent deal and their own network. The $ and exposure will keep them a perennial top 25 team -- as they have been for four decades.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:20 p.m.

May the recruitment battle begin! This whole schedule is so exciting. LDS athletes all over the country will be seeing BYU in their own backyard over the next few years. To be able to play on ESPN in almost every game will surely get recruits to be more serious about playing at BYU. Two games in Texas, also in Mississippi and Hawai'i...how awesome is this??!!

Let's just drop the USU's off the list and we'll have a killer schedule!

Feb. 17, 2011 4:19 p.m.

All you BYU fans who try to jab at us Utes for commenting on stories about your team are funny. We see just as many of you commenting on stories about our team. It's a natural part of the rivalry and happens everywhere. No shame in it at all.

I was sincere in wishing you luck. I really do think you will need it to beat TCU. Especially with their home crowd on hand. You're playing a program at it's peak having just completed an undefeated season including winning one of the top 5 bowl games in the country with the best defense in the country. And you've got a completely revamped coaching staff with an offense that struggled most of last season. I will be pulling for you, but it could get ugly.

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:16 p.m.

This is great news!

With the addition of TCU that makes BYU's football schedule loaded with 5 BCS conference teams. Notre Dame regularly has games against no more than 7 BCS conference opponents. So give it a couple years and BYU will get the same deal as ND as far as being an AQ as long as they are ranked in the top 8.

And those who think BYU will be playing for nothing with 1 loss need to check out the schedule. With such a strong schedule a 1 loss BYU team could easily still go BCS bowling. (Depending on who the loss is to)

This is about as good as you can ask for only six months after the announcement to go Indy.

Things are falling into place for a great future in BYU football! Cant wait!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Ya gotta admit, Pac-12 was a sweet deal for the Utes...

But, independance for BYU is just getting better. (How much of this deal does BYU need to split with the conference again?)

In-state sports are just getting to the fun stage.

Now, if the NCAA-Gods will look out for Utah State...

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:08 p.m.

True Blue,

"After the first loss, at USC, what is Utah playing for?"

A whole cadre of top bowl games that I won't bother to list here but they are all significantly better than that bowl game BYU has signed on to. By the way, USC can't play in the PAC 12 championship game in 2011 so Utah can play for a conference title. What conference is BYU in again? Oh yea, independent in football providing filler games for ESPN and other sports in the WCC that has a current basketball RPI of # 14. Those are steps in the right direction.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 4:07 p.m.

Yeah yeah yeah. Everybody wants a shot at the national championship. Until we see playoffs, it's just a big scam anyway. So forget about it. What's wrong with just watching some good, entertaining football? So, c'mon over. Grab some chips and a soda, sit on my couch in front of the big screen and shut up about "independent this and Pac 12 that". Just watch the game! Geesh!

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:52 p.m.

Don't be fooled; even the haters will be watching.

They're so obsessed with all-things BYU that they couldn't stop themselves from watching even if they wanted to.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:48 p.m.

Ah yes! The jealousy oozing from the home of our little brothers on the hill is palpable.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:46 p.m.

I love it. BYU goes independent. Who will play you? Umm, lots of teams will play us. Okay, but you don't have any bowl tie-ins. Bowl tie-ins announced. But they're crumby bowls, and all your good games are on the road? And? You mean the same bowl tie-ins that the PAC-12 has? What will they say next? Sure, BYU has a ways to go with scheduling good teams at home and getting some better bowl tie-ins, but this is a far cry from the doom and gloom scenario presented to us by the naysayers who said that BYU would never be able to play in a bowl and nobody would play them. BYU still has to go undefeated to get into a BCS game, only now you can see their games on TV. How is this any worse than what they had before? Seriously, what's with all the negativity? BYU Football has a bright future.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:44 p.m.

Howard S.

Get used to what?

Winning big games on national television in state of the art football stadiums?

I'm sure BYU fans will enjoy getting used to that!

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:33 p.m.

"October 28th, one of those ESPN schedule fillers for a Friday night. Won't be many people watching."

Who cares? I can watch. Which is infinitely better than the game being carried on The Mtn., which I do not get.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:31 p.m.

The new agreements, Ga. Tech, Texas, Oregon State etc. are all Home and Home.

The only exceptions to this rule is Notre Dame, first 2 at South Bend, the last 4 are Home and Home, two here two there.

Texas IS a home and home, the 1st game was a one a done game, scheduled before BYU declared Independence, seperate contracts.

BYU fans are Patient and know the schedule will take a few years to beef up.

Now rest your little heads Ute fans.

You just go and see if you can manage to get one or two games on Fox regional.

Your competition is not BYU anymore, their future is secure, your "kin-program" and equal, is another group of Cougars, from the land of Pullman.

BYU will work it out and with ESPN at their backs we look forward to decades of playing great teams, with Home and Home series, Storied Programs, all over this Country and in Provo..

On a given Saturday, this Wasatch Front could have a BYU-Notre Dame...Texas... matchup and 40 miles up the road a Utah-USC..Oregon etc.

Aside from partisan rooting sections, that is still pretty Kool.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:29 p.m.

Mount Olympus, who cares?

What was BYU playing for after one loss last season? A MWC championship and the Las Vegas Bowl? Big deal.

Sure, independence has its flaws, and they have to play a lot of road games against good opponents, but it beats the flaws of the MWC and a lousy TV contract any day. At least they are free to play more good teams on the road. In the MWC, they couldn't even do that. And no BYU fan is going to be broken up about playing in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl when they could have been playing in the Las Vegas Bowl. In the grand scheme of things, the difference is very little. They will be equally disappointed that their team didn't make it to a BCS bowl whether or not they are playing in Las Vegas or San Francisco. My point is, BYU is not going to have trouble filling their schedule. If they have to play most of the good teams on the road at first, so be it. At least BYU fans will get to see the games on TV.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:26 p.m.

October 28 is a nice date for this game. BYU's schedule was front-loaded so that nobody except die-hard WAC fans would watch after September. This will be BYU's last good national look, before people start focusing on conference races and title games.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:26 p.m.

@Mormon Ute, H-dog, etal:

Things are looking up.

Thank you for all your interest and support. You are some of the greatest BYU fans, ever.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Mt Oly

Six WAC teams for next season is an aberration.

The true advantage of independence will become clearer when ESPN starts pulling the strings to schedule big name programs from across the country to play in LES.

Snicker all you want now, but negotiations are already happening behind the scenes.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Sounds like a one and done against a soon to be BCS team in their backyard. Get used to this Cougs.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:13 p.m.

After the first loss, at USC, what is Utah playing for?

The Utes will be hopelessly out of the division race with no chance of playing in the PAC 12 championship.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:08 p.m.

BYU will replace the Lousiana....
    (Tech..A&M..State, NorthWest-Quadrant ??, or whoever) with the TCU game.

Still just 12 games.

Nice upgrade.

Now, Holmoe needs to swap the San Jose St. game for the first Bye later in the season.

Not too bad for the first year. The power of ESPN is evident here.

That's Three games already scheduled for National TV on ESPN's family of Networks.

And we have not even talked about the Ole Miss, Texas, Oregon St. Hawaii or Utah games.

BYU could be looking at up to 6-8 Nationally televised games on just ESPN's Family of Networks, with all others on National BYU-TV.

Also, all ESPN games can be Re-broadcast, same day, and beyond, on National and Inter-National BYU-TV.

Again, ESPN3.com, ESPN-U and ESPN Game Ticket, games, can be simulcast live on BYU-TV.

Oh yea this Independence thing really stinksNot!

Notre Dame games were once repeated on Sunday Mornings by NBC. The power of Access and Exposure cannot be lost on Recruits and Fans.

Utah? How is your TV schedule looking for next year?
    Seen Washington State lately?

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:07 p.m.

Mt. Olympus

"Patterson was right. Had BYU stayed in the MWC, they'd be hosting Utah, TCU, and Boise this year..."

on The Mtn! ugh

Instead, BYU's games with Utah and TCU will be televised nationally on ESPN.

As will all of BYU's home games and most of BYU's road games for the next 8 years.

• warnason Provo, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:01 p.m.

ESPN reported that this game will replace the Louisiana Tech game that they had scheduled for Nov. 5th, that should go a long way for SOS.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:00 p.m.

Mormon Ute

A home game for TCU in proximity, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see more BYU fans than TCU fans, similar to BYU's game at TCU this Saturday, only in a neutral arena.

Weak home schedule for BYU, with the exception Utah and an interesting Utah State matchup, but a dynamite road schedule.

In a couple of years, that will even out as Holmoe has more time to negotiate future schedules.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 3:00 p.m.

October 28th, one of those ESPN schedule fillers for a Friday night. Won't be many people watching. Friday night is for high school football especially in Texas. And I thought BYU did all this for exposure. I guess TCU can get a few recruits to the game. I don't believe BYU recruits Texas anymore since the Crowton debacle.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:54 p.m.

I stand corrected. 12 games, as this one replaces Louisiana Tech. So in other words, BYU had more teams willing to play them in their first year of independence than they could handle. Doesn't sound like scheduling will be a problem in independence. Next complaint?

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Re: Independent

Instead they just get Utah.

Patterson now gets to play BYU, without having to make a return trip to Provo.

Independence has shown that BYU can play some good teams on the road, but they also have 6 WAC teams. To get a good team to play in Provo, they have to play 2 road games to get 1 game in Provo. Also have a poor bowl tie-in.

After the first loss, what is BYU playing for? Not a conf championship, not for a bowl, they already have signed with that fight hunger bowl (if they go 12-1 or 7-6 they still go to that fight hunger bowl).

Should have stayed 1 more year in MWC, hosted Utah, TCU, and Boise, and prepped for independence when TCU leaves the MWC. Then the first year they might not be playing 6 WAC teams.

Feb. 17, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Good luck BYU. You'll need it against TCU. Keep in mind, this is basically a home game for TCU. I'm sure that had something to do with their decision to play the game.

The Cougs will get plenty of EXPOSURE all right. Gary Patterson knows how to EXPOSE every weakness in an opponent.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:47 p.m.

From a Utah guy, congrats Cougs! Maybe independence is the best road after all! At least for scheduling games. It may be a 6-6 season, but at least your strength of schedule won't be lacking! Also, I like that the poster above actually mentioned Utah as a "significant" part of the Y's schedule. See, we can all play nice if we try!

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:46 p.m.

If BYU wins....glory hallelujah.

If BYU loses....glory hallelujah.

Bring it on!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:45 p.m.

Everyone wants to play the Cougars because we are so good.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:44 p.m.

I seem to remember folks telling BYU something along the lines of "good luck scheduling anybody."

13 games, including Texas, TCU, Oregon State, Utah, UCF, and Ole Miss, in the first year doesn't look too bad. In fact, it looks better than any BYU schedule I can remember.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:42 p.m.

Good idea for the Cougs. I'd love to get a shot at TCU this year with them losing what they are losing, especially starting over at the QB spot with zero experience. Next year is the time to get the Frogs. Good timing by BYU on that one.

• Naked Truth Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:29 p.m.

So Gary Patterson is on record saying he has no interest in playing BYU again, I wonder if Rocky Long would change his moral stance too if invited to play on ESPN game in Jerry's World...

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:25 p.m.

Announced on ESPN.com about 1.5 hours ago...about time it hit DN!

Go Cougs!!!

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:22 p.m.

Jerry Jones likes to have the BYU fans filling up his stadium.

BYU has a significant schedule next year...
    @ Ole Miss
    @ Texas
    vs TCU
    @ Oregon ST
    @ Hawaii

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:19 p.m.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 17, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Another big money, big exposure game on the schedule. This is excellent.