Sports

Randy Hollis: Utah Jazz fans owe Jerry Sloan a debt of gratitude

Comments

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Feb. 14, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Another proud Sloanaholic here,oh and btw Matthews 26/7/5 last night just another typical game for the guy that got away

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Feb. 14, 2011 10:26 a.m.

I agree with most of the rest on here, I was a Jazz fan before Sloan was here, but the pride of being a Jazz fan over the past 22 years has come from the way Jerry Sloan coached the Jazz. I loved hearing announcers, other coaches, and opposing players all praise the Jazz and their style and especially their coach. Many, many times after a more talented team lost to the Jazz they would give Sloan's system and style the credit.
    We'll miss you Coach Sloan, thanks for making us proud to be Jazz fans.

• artinnature Payson, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 6:44 p.m.

ST, The article said Utah Jazz Fans owe Jerry a debt of gratitude. You said you are not a fan . . . nobody said you owed him anything. I think, however, that you are too short sighted to realize that all of us, even you, benefited from what Jerry and the Jazz brought to our community.

• ST Layton, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 4:51 p.m.

I don't owe Sloan anything ... I'm not a fan. but I do wish him well.

• jedivan Ogden, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 2:58 p.m.

Well said, Randy. Anybody in any field of employment should emulate Jerry's work ethic. Do the job as best you can; work hard at it. He will be sorely missed.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Feb. 13, 2011 1:30 p.m.

I was told that the same thing happened with Larry Brown and Paul Silas. There is a pattern here. It is all about sociology. As far as Mark Jackson 's comments are concerned, the NBA did "Slaon by". This is a new day and it's all about a new sociological paradigm and political correctness. If the "new guard" surpass the old in integrity and loyalty, then so be it. Neverthless, it just ain't so and the "new Miller" philosophy is to use socilogy to survice ang go on. However, how many fans will show once they realize that they are just "pawns in a Skinner box" to remake society into a utopian paradise of political correctness.

• rjpkp Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 12:01 p.m.

While watching the Jazz-Suns game on Friday, I realized just how much I missed Sloan and Johnson, and how I really watched Jazz games a lot just because I liked watching Sloan and Johnson coach. I love watching Phil hold Jerry back from the refs. I love Jerry clapping his hands and encouraging the team during a timeout even though they were down by 10. I loved how he stood up for his players, and unfortunately it seems they didn't stand up for him. My enthusiasm for the NBA was already waning, and losing J Sloan may have put this fire out.

• apa salt lake, utah
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Old school doesn't work anymore????? Somebody better tell the Spurs.

• Beverly Eden, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Thanks, Coach Sloan, for all the years! We have always admired you from afar. Good luck with your future endeavors.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Coach Jerry Sloan grew up in a family of 10 children raised by a single Mother - got up 4:30am to do chores and walk 2 miles to school for 7am basketball practice - need any other information?? Most great men I have known come from a similar background.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:20 a.m.

The main reason I am and maybe was a Jazz fan is Jerry Sloan. For the Jazz players, it is still about money and me, me, me ...... as much as it may be denied. And Jazz fans, you got what you asked for. Good Luck

• Basketballogy Orem, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:15 a.m.

Jerry resigned because he's smart -- smart enough to know a bull dog without teeth can't be an effective guard dog.

In Larry Millers day, players either had to shape up or ship out. Larry stood by Sloan, his system and his tough love, and when the Jazz had players that could man up, such as Malone, Stockton, Hornecek, Harpring, etc., the Jazz had success.

Not so today. The Miller family, so afraid their pouty point guard might be too unhappy as his contract expires, have let Williams show up Coach Sloan again and again without impunity.

By all appearances, loyal Jerry Sloan realized the loyalty was no longer reciprocated, leaving him with no teeth, no authority to right the ship.

So what choice did Jerry have?

DWill, who loves to be hard on everyone but himself, didn't force Sloan out. Instead, Williams and the Millers just let Jerry know over these last months that this is no longer his team.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:29 a.m.

@netmaster

While I think you and I have similar visions of how basketball and any sport should be played, I do not think you understand the mentality of most of the world. Yes The NBA is about entertainment, and there really isn't a place for Jerry Sloan in the League anymore. I personally think every coach should be like Coach Sloan and I despise that "ball hog" bad fundamentals style play but I just don't think that is the style of play people want to see.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:23 a.m.

I agree with everything in this article. I also think I'll listen to Karl Malone rather than some of the no talent talking heads on ESPN. To all of the Sloan haters (who probably looked at the 27 point second half against the Suns and found a way to make Jerry responsible for that too), I want to say that you too owe a huge debt to Jerry Sloan. He probably taught your son more about toughness and character than you ever will. Maybe even made you look at your own character a bit, right?

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:14 a.m.

All i can say is thanks jerry ans Phil. You gave the Jazz all you had. Some nights it wasn't good enough but you gave it 100%. Jerry can leave when and how he wants. So just say thanks and move on.

• valhas5 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Jerry Sloan was, is and will always be the best coach! The NBA should be ashamed for never awarding him with Coach of the Year! He has deserved it more than some that have been given it more than once. We have lost a GREAT man! I am sad. And have gotten teary eyed a few times the last couple of days. We really do need to show him our love and appreciation. Thanks Coach! You are the best!

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 8:08 a.m.

You go Jerry! Gods Speed

• netmaster Farmington, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 12:26 a.m.

To Mark Jackson, one of the worst color commentators I've had the misfortune to hear and see:
    So you think the NBA passed by Jerry Sloan? That Sloan's old-school method of winning games won't work anymore?
    Then I'm guessing that you think rebounding is not that important. And that the newer Isiah Thomas coaching style of hiring a ball hog and letting the insane run the asylum is the way to go. That good, hard screens, crisp passes, running plays to get your better shooters open looks, putting pressure right at the rim and playing tough defense are all sure ways to long-term failure. And I'm certain you think that team defense is overrated, that the way to go is to put the ball in the hands of your best offensive player and let him create on the fly. And that the old school style of passing, keeping to fundamentals, placing the ball in the receiver's hands at chest level and close to the basket is a waste of energy. You obviously prefer the fancy passer who entertains at a high level trying to thread the needle while making turnovers.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Feb. 12, 2011 10:59 p.m.

Dr J; You said it all...for a lot of us sloanaholics.

Thanks

we

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    Feb. 12, 2011 10:57 p.m.

Coach Sloan was nothing but loyal, to Utah, the fans, his players, other teams, the sport of Basketball. Some say the game passed him by, but anyone that truly knows the game of basketball knows the game has been the same for a long time. How many Coaches out there still Run Coach Woodens stuff? The last time he coached was almost 40 years ago. The Lakers run the Triangle Offense that Coach Winters learned in the 40s. There might be different rules but the game is the same. The thing that has changed is the entitlement of the some of the players, these players now days are very talented but with that comes an attitude that they are bigger than the concept of the team.

Coach Sloan is one the last of the right way to coach, people complain that he didnt call time outs enough; the old school way of coaching is on the floor if your team gets itself in trouble it should get itself out. That is why his teams always won he gave them the power to win or lose. When they lost he owned it.

Thanks Coach, you are already missed.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Feb. 12, 2011 10:36 p.m.

I agree. I also think the national media owes him an apology for all the stuff they said about him being forced out. Sloan tells it straight. If he says it didn't happen that is good enough for me.

• Michelle Ann Midvale, Utah
    Feb. 12, 2011 8:55 p.m.

Great article. I have adored Jerry Sloan for almost 23 years. I think it so hard to say goodbye to him without the proper goodbye that he so deserved. When I heard Jerry was resigning it almost felt like somebody close to me just died. When it comes down to it its all about money, money, money. I think Karl Malone said it best last night. Shame on some Jazz players and some of upper management of the Jazz. I am happy for his wife, step-son, Children and Grandchildren.

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Feb. 12, 2011 8:25 p.m.

I would rather have Jerry Sloan for 30 years than win a title!

Pride