Sports

Utah Jazz: Deron Williams says he argued with Sloan, denies pushing him out the door

Comments

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    Feb. 12, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Deron, eat a Snickers. You're such a diva when you're hungry.

• Al Bundy murray, ut
    Feb. 12, 2011 1:55 p.m.

Say what you will? When D-Will leaves the Jazz are are not going to be good!!!! He is an All-Star, Firts team all NBA selection and an Olympian!!! He will be pursued by every elite team out there!!! Remember this, all the top players have that mean,ticked off look and sometimes attitude! Jordan, Kobe, D-Wade, Lebron, Shaq, Larry, Stock and Karl!!! They are stubborn and want to win!!! D-Will wants to win!!!

• BYU Grad Alpine, Utah
    Feb. 12, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Enough already. I am guessing Darin is humble enough right now. How he does moving forward will determine how the franchise does in the near future. Now is his chance to either show some character or show that he is like so many other sports stars who let their success go to their heads and focus on themselves instead of team chemistry and winning.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Feb. 12, 2011 10:33 a.m.

DWill deserved the boos he heard last night. It's unfortunate but Deron not only makes it so miserable for the coach that he decides it's not worth it anymore, but Williams will be gone at the end of his contract because by then the Jazz will be horrible; Sloan was the reason this team was special, not Deron.

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    Feb. 12, 2011 8:31 a.m.

I agree. Deron didn't push Jerry out the door. He just stood his ground as the man who thinks he knows more than the coach and has the ball in his hands on the court.

Jerry, IMHO, just decided that it wasn't any fun, nor worth the effort, to fight against the lead player. It's one thing to constantly try to cajole effort and intensity out of Fez, or discipline and defensive effort out of CJ, but it can't be emjoyable to try and convince the lead player your system of 23 years still works.

Deron didn't push Jerry out the door. He just stood his ground, held the door open, and Jerry choose to leave. I, for one, am uber-sad.

I wish Ty the best. Coach Corbin will take some time getting used to. I just hope Coach and Deron can agree on enough things to get the Jazz back to the top of the Western Conference, if not the NBA.

Best of Luck gentlemen!!!

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    Feb. 12, 2011 12:00 a.m.

It is so obvious that Willams had some thing to do with Jerry's departure. Sure he did not demand a trade or say its me or him but look at his stats the last few games. Look at his lack of gratitude for Jerry helping him get his chance to learn and grow. It seems to me that Willams decided to not play up to par until he got his way like a spoiled child. He forced management to choose for him like a coward he is. He is no Stockton nor ever will have his heart. Just like the Loozer he cares only for his stats and his check. True champs go out and take criticism and come out stronger Willams caved in.
    Look at our great hero of our team can even man up to his actions.

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 11, 2011 9:45 p.m.

Ty Corbin is a terrific guy, a great dad to an exceptional son who will end his hs career at West and go onto Div 1-A basketball. It's going to be very hard to come out of the very dark cloud hovering over the Jazz, the heartbreak of losing a guy who was the type of man we all would wish to be. Ty may have the patience to do so, he has interviewed for other vacancies to lose the job to less qualified men, yet keeps moving on. I wish him the best.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 11, 2011 9:43 p.m.

And D Will wonders why he can't get anybody to help him move. I think there are several people will be willing to help him move now.
    Give me a call D, I'll help ya move. Try Cleveland.

• rabbit1 delta, ut
    Feb. 11, 2011 8:20 p.m.

wow a lot of speculation. so most of you think miller, sloan deron and whoever else are not telling the truth. i think sloan had enough, he is 68 almost 69 years old. i think that itself says alot. it does bother me how d-will never said one positive thing about sloan. at least i haven't heard one. so that to me says volumes about their relationship and that to me is sad.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Feb. 11, 2011 8:01 p.m.

Deron is obviously "twisting the truth". He has a "cat ate the canary" written all over his face. He has O'Connor, Rigby, and Miller all eating out of the palm of his hand. Sloan "took no prisoners" and Williams "took him out" and then crawled back "under his rock". He is "going to beat up" anyone who calls his bluff! That is Midwest street talk and now he "runs the town". Williams refused to be a leader under Sloan. Now, he is the leader and has Corbin already under his control.

• Mark from Montana Aurora, CO
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:53 p.m.

I do not believe that Williams said "me or him". I do believe that the relationship had become like trying to ride a disagreeable horse. You just reach the point where it isn't worth the battle to get on the horse day in and day out. You either sell the horse or quit riding.

I also believe that Sloan was getting pressure from Gregg Miller to change to the type of play Williams wanted....more run and gun like so many teams do. Free styling that gets you on the highlight shows.

For me this is the same situation I had in the mid-80s when the Cowboys changed hands and Landry was let go. With Sloan gone, Stockton and Malone history, all the old style guys that care more about winning than whining, my passion for the Jazz is about gone as well. If I cannot respect those on the team, I cannot root for the team. I have little respect for those left, Bell and few others certainly, but that's about it.

Good luck and farewell to Jerry. I will miss you as I do Stock and Malone.

• FlatlanderCougar Doniphan, NE
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:47 p.m.

The toughest defender, one of the hardest workin' players and coaches to have ever played and coached....one who would never say "QUIT"......would just quit??? Okay, say it "...was time....", you think for one nano Jerry Sloan would, on his own, just quit? HE IS NO QUITTER! He may have hated the way all these over-paid pampy scampies seem to think they have rites and privileges beyond what their contracts allow them, you can also believe there are no carp in Utah lake!!! Tough guy Sloan would have never just QUIT! .....certainly the JAZZ allowed this to go down the wrong way! Huge step backward!!!

• He-Man Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:31 p.m.

Jerry Sloan is a real man. He is not going to leave a team because of a conflict with a player. There are many players who have had much worse conflicts with Sloan.
    It is not going to be because of one player that Sloan leaves. Sloan did not leave when John Ameachi played and was a problem for the Jazz.
    John Ameachi remains the greatest embarassment in a Jazz uniform to this day and attacked Sloan in his book.
    It is not because of his gender preference but how he approached it to play victim and to make exagerated false accusations about Sloan to assasinate his character.
    I hope the NBA never has an experience like this again. It does not belong in sports.
    Stop calling Deron Williams a punk or you will be just like John Ameachi was.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:30 p.m.

The biggest story about Coach Sloan's resignation is how the media plays it all up.

Both broadcast as well as print media (which are the same thing for DNews and KSL) thrive on building a story to the biggest proportions possible.

Enough already!

The friction between Sloan and Williams is absolutely nothing as compared with happens with other players and coaches throughout the NBA.

I for one look forward to the time when all the hyperbole created by the media dies down and the Jazz get back to business, which hopefully, will come much sooner than later.

Everybody realizes the media have to sell their product to keep the advertisers buying air time and display ads.

So, media guys, you've had your flash in the pan; now let's get back again to reporting true sports stories, rather than stirring up controversy, okay?

Please.

• Andre Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:18 p.m.

Stop blaming Deron Williams. He is supposed to be strong-willed, fiery and to have strong opinions about basketball. It is the coaches job to deal with that. In fact that is mostly what coaches do. It would be much worse to have a player with no fire, no strong opinions and no will of his own. Those guys win nothing. Competitors will naturally challenge their coach. They're like racehorses and it takes a strong hand to manage them. A few years ago Jerry Sloan would have met the challenge head on, but when he said he didn't have the energy anymore, this is what he was talking about.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:18 p.m.

The question isn't did Dwill lobby for Jerry to go. I believe him when he said he didn't and that if he didn't like Jerry's system he could leave after next year. My question would have been--"and in that next year and a half, would you have continued to defy your coach and undermine his actions?" This is what Dwill is guilty of and to say that this had nothing to do with Jerry leaving is childish. This kid is a spoiled pampered brat who hasn't accomplished much of anything yet. Dwill, when you reach "time for me to take over the running of the team" status--someone will let you know.
    For now, good luck to Tyrone Corbin--but don't make the mistake of thinking you are the one who calls the shots. If Jerry quit for that reason--your chances are slim. If we could only really clean house (GM and current owners included) and start over with only Paul Millsap, Gordon Hayward and Jeremy Evans. I'd endure losing seasons to pull for good people.

• Foss Murray, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:00 p.m.

In the middle of a season, in the middle of a game? There must have been a straw.

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Why don't we all quit acting like Deron is an angel and had no involvement in Jerry leaving. There is no way in this world that Jerry would quit mid-season on his own. Clearly, he was forced out.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 5:02 p.m.

I was sitting with a trained military specialist during the press conference. When Greg Miller said that nobody had pushed Sloan that man looked at me and said "that man is lying".

Deron who has been so busy whining all season in the press now says he had a couple of discussions and issues with the coach?

Seems to me like the Jazz are putting the best spin on this mess they can cobble together on short notice.

But now making the survivor out to be without blame will not help the team, nor will hiring an ineffective shooting coach to be an assistant.

Chances are Jefferson will still not understand the pick and roll, Raja will still miss his shots and Cj will still be spotty.

Sloan knew what it took to win, and with this group what it took to win might be walking away.

Good job Jerry you are in better shape than the Jazz.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Great points Bugoff. I couldn't agree more.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 11, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Corbin has 16 years as a player and 7 as a coach. He knows all of the other teams offenses and defenses. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of the Jazz system and how to run it. He may know how to fix the current problems.

I think the players will play for him and themselves. The same fundamental weaknesses are there but maybe collectively Corbin and the players can find a way to fix some of them.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 11, 2011 4:34 p.m.

@BigBen actually Sloan was a lot more flexible in the last 2 years. I may have overstated the case.

However, I would love to see a change in pace. I would love to see the flex utilize more kickout plays (by design, assuming the Jazz have good enough outside shooters.

I felt Jerry insisted on pounding it inside when the paint was packed. That usually resulted in TOs or random jump shots.

Designed plays to break the paint pack would really help. I do not think Korver ever had designed plays.

I think Corbin has to find a way to tweak the flex so that it does not stop cold when the ball goes into AJ. I think some special AJ plays can be developed and added with time.

I am hoping the Pick and Roll defense strategy is improved.

I actually think Sloan was a very good coach. His overall record proves it. But like D Antoni and others he had some unique ways.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Im not sure that I totally agree with Bugoff (in fact, im still sticking by my response to you under the Ty Corbin is coach article), I don't think that Jerry was as stubborn as you are making him out to be.

That being said, I completely agree that the coaching change will no doubt allow Deron more freedom to "do his thing", and I think that will pay big dividends.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 3:47 p.m.

I just hope he can find a way to motivate the players to KEEP MOVING on offense.

Watching the Jazz lately is just so BOOOOORING (win or lose). They all just seem to stand around and watch the guy who has the ball, like they don't have an assignment. It just makes it so EASY on the defense to cover them. Then don't even have to move or defend their guy. They know right were he'll be and he won't be moving until it's time for him to get involved. If he moves... WATCH HIM... the ball's coming to him 100% certain (or he wouldn't be moving).

It's just so predictable and boring. Sometimes the defense even falls asleep. That's about the only time we score!

Seems like if the JUMP_SHOT isn't working for us.. that's all she wrote... because we aren't getting anything bug garbage going on inside.

Whenever a player unexpectedly penetrates the interior... it seems to freak the defense out and something good always happens. I don't know why we can't get a player to run through there once_in_a_while to shake_things_up.

• H2OSKI Alpine, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 3:33 p.m.

I heard Derons response yesterday afternoon about Sloan leaving and Corbin being hired.

My personal impression? He was less than greatful to Sloan and not near appreciative enough.

Then with regards to Ty he was less than enthusiastic in his response. He said "ya, Im excited" and that was the full answer.

Sound like a ringing endorsement to you?

Sure Deron is sour with the media and I hope that was all it was because mentally he sure did not answer like anything that has or would be happening was good enough for him.

Best of luck Ty.

I believe one thing many people will realize real soon. Winning with this team was hard for Jerry with 23 years under his belt. What do you think it is going to be with Ty.

I think Ty is a good guy. I hope he can reign in Derons insubordination.

I guess my question is this, where has Deron's insubordination got the team so far this season? We know he has been bucking Sloan more and more and yet where is the team at?

Players always know more than their coaches, just ask them.

• Idahoan Burley, ID
    Feb. 11, 2011 3:21 p.m.

@Bugoff - I agree

• Idahoan Burley, ID
    Feb. 11, 2011 3:18 p.m.

We have to be idiots to think DWill or any other player (Malone etc) could push out Sloan. It's Jerry Sloan, not Westphal or some other C list coach. I wish it had gone different but yet, if you have listened to Sloan over the years, it's always been a day to day thing. I think there were enough consecutive days that he finally said, "It's time". I even think he caught himself by surprise a bit with it when you go back and look at the Bulls post game interviews.

Ty Corbin is the new coach. I hope it's a spark that turns around the Jazz this season. They are in desperate need of some kind of spark.

I have a tough time thinking someone in LA or NY knows the details better than any local media. Certain people are looking for national headlines kinda like ambulance chasing lawyers. Report facts, do not make up facts.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 11, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Correction (because they had NOT worked all night).

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 11, 2011 3:04 p.m.

If DWill did not run a couple of plays called by Sloan it is most likely because DWill knew they were not going to work (because they had worked all night).

Sloan was famous for stubbornly running plays that were not working and insisting on continuing to try to run them.

At that point DWill (who wants to win) has nothing to lose by calling an audible when he sees an opportunity.

You all are making DWill out as the bad guy here. I know you revere Sloan but you all know he was stubborn to the fault of losing as long as it was his way.

A little more creativity and flexibility would have produced a more wins.

Increasing the pace and giving the PGs more flexibility some of the time should pay dividends.

Persistence can be a virtue. Stubbornness is not.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 2:19 p.m.

I don't know the specifics of how it went down, it doesn't really matter.

It's been said that a team takes on the personality of it's head coach. Well the Utah Jazz's personality much of this season has been old and tired with a little apathy mixed in.

It was time for a change, some new blood, some new ENERGY! Good luck coach Corbin and the Jazz going forward. And good move to get Hornicek on the bench as well.

• Gottabelieve highland, utah
    Feb. 11, 2011 2:11 p.m.

CC, nailed it. Has nothing to do about Dwill running him out or not. The fact is, Sloan is the Coach (Boss) Listen to him, what makes these NBA players yhink they can argue with there coaches in the middle of the game and if you do than you better put skills and talent where your mouth is..

• rs12to32 Nampa, Idaho
    Feb. 11, 2011 2:07 p.m.

@bluto. Amen. Get that Sloan statue in the works. It is at least as deserved as Stockton and Malones were.

As bad as I feel about how this all went down I hope Corbin has great success. Loved him as a player, perfect Sloan player, strapped it up and went to work. I hope this chance works out for him.

As for Dwill, only time will tell. I am still almost positive he is gone after next year. Lets see how he handles the reactions he is going to see from the fans. He will either go hard and play better than ever or he will pull a Lebron and quit on the team. I hope for the first option and I hope I am wrong and he re-ups with the Jazz.

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Nobody, ever, could force Jerry Sloan to do anything. If it wouldn't have been this it would've been an exceptionally bad call, inappropriate media question, heckler, something. I think he's been wavering since the bad end to the '08 reg season.

68 is up there and 23 years is an unreal amount of time. It's not the job itself, it's all the little things that go with it. If Sloan really had a problem with DW he'd've taken a swing at him. Other than that, he lets it all go.

Both have handled this well, no spin or sugarcoating, let's move on. A three game winning streak heading into the break would work wonders.

Good luck, Ty! And pleasepleasplease move CJ into the starting lineup in place of Raja, and give Fes regular shifts.

• EgbertThrockmorton Layton, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Sounds it has more to do with Greg Miller's "style" (or lack thereof) than any player. He's not a "chip-off-the-old-block" realist like his father.

• G-mac highland, utah
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:48 p.m.

C-mon D-will

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Situations are cumulative.

I'm sure that Sloan had much bigger arguments with other players over time.

Then comes the time when you just realize you have enough money.

I have no idea what was said, but I know that both D Will and Sloan wanted to win.

No bad guys here. Just part of the game.

Thanks coach for all you have done.

Good luck Ty.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:47 p.m.

All good things must come to an end. Sloan was good, never great when it came to winning the whole thing, but i think that things happen for a reason and I for one am looking forward to turning the page and letting Greg Miller and Ty Corbin follow a path that was paved before them by Larry Miller and Jerry Sloan. Hard work, dedication, loyalty are the foundations on wich this team was grounded. I am looking forward to see how this team responds to such a big change.

LETS GO JAZZ!!

• CC Saint George, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:47 p.m.

I don't care whether or not the argument was the reason for Coach Sloan leaving, or not. Whatever happened to "OK Coach, I'll do that?" Overpaid, over pampered, over coddled, selfishness...Gone are the days of "Thanks Coach, I'll work harder. I'll run the play better next time. I appreciate you trying to make me a better player and person."

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:45 p.m.

One thing you can count on from both Jerry and D-Will: honesty. One thing you can count on from the media: spouting intrigue based on innuendo. Williams challenged the sources who say he pushed Jerry out to come forward and he'd confront them (another thing you can count on from D-Will: combativeness). One thing I'm hoping to see is better team chemistry. We'll see if D-Will can be the kind of leader who will pull the team together. The coaching change can reignite and refocus the team, so I'm hoping to see a stellar first quarter and a 20 point win tonight.

• SnipeHookyoFace Farmington, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:40 p.m.

Hornacek and Corbin will be dynamite together!

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:38 p.m.

You've got to believe both Williams and Sloan here. They are both saying the exact same thing.

Sloan is 68 years old, there is a reason why most people retire between 65 & 70. Most people don't have as stressful of a job as being a head coach for an under-performing NBA team too.

Ultimately I think this will be a learning experience for DWill. He is still young, hopefully he comes out of it more mature and focused on what's most important.

• bikelehi Lehi, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:29 p.m.

What Williams said is true. No one could force Sloan to leave. This was Jerry's choice. He's old, has been doing this a long time and was sick of the crap and didn't feel like he could help the Jazz win anymore, so he retired. End of story.

The rest is just a media frenzy for a story and to sell papers (figuratively speaking).

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:22 p.m.

The press always likes to present a good guy and a bad guy.

There are no bad guys in this story.

Sloan always said; "One day or moment I will just decide it is time to go".

"Don't know when or where".

It's not any more difficult than that.

Like Sloan said; "arguing with players is normal every day process".

Thanks Sloan, for all you've done for the Jazz and this State.....

And D-will, we're all behind you and know you're one of the good guys and you had nothing to do with Sloan retiring, it was just his time.

He's 68 years old, has millions in the bank, a younger wife and his Farm. Like Lavell Edwards he wants to do something more with his life.

My only request? Jazz Management... Get the statue done for him, (should have been ready for this moment) and get the guy in Alpine, who does all the NFL hall of Fame busts, to do it.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:22 p.m.

Wow looks like Ty gets to start his head coaching career with 9 healthy guys. Good luck Ty! We will be cheering for you.

I have to believe that DWill didn't push Sloan out the door. I saw another quote that he would have asked for a trade way before asking for a new coach. I have to believe him about that.

At the same time I think the argument was the straw that broke the camels back. Its' certainly not the first argument Sloan has had with a player, but sadly it was his last.

It's sad the way it happened mid season, but I hope Jerry left on his own terms and has no regrets. After 23 years Jerry has earned the right to do pretty much anything he wants. No one will ever question his dedication.

• Serenity Now American Fork, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:19 p.m.

I believe him. Sloan's too strong to be pushed out by a player, and Williams too smart to want to be known for having pushed a legend out the door. The two argued about things, and the most recent disagreement may have convinced Sloan it was time to quit...nothing wrong or unhealthy about that. My own belief is that Sloan simply ran out of the energy it took to captain the ship, just like he said.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:13 p.m.

Seriously? I find it hard to believe.