Sports

Comments

• jzzlvr Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:32 a.m.

WHOA!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:32 a.m.

Not good, not good at all.

• TallGuy1970 Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:34 a.m.

If it's true, I will be sad to see Jerry go. One of the last old-school coaches!

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:36 a.m.

This would be a horrible thing. It is apparent that even a player's coach such as Coach Sloan can't get his star players to play like star players. So what do you do? Trade them away. Build for the future. Keep Jerry Sloan.

• MPetrie Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Wow... now THIS is a surprise. I don't know what to say right now...

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:40 a.m.

If it's true, thanks for a great run Coach!

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:42 a.m.

WOW!!!!!!

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:42 a.m.

all you idiots who called for his job got your wish. hope it works out for you.

• Brad Peterson South Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:43 a.m.

Noooooooooooooo

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:47 a.m.

Thanks Williams.

If Williams wasn't the slowest PG in the world and could have defended Rose and Westbrook, Sloan would still have a job.

D-Will is way overrated. He is a good PG, but not an elite one.

• GOUTES! Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Sloan and Johnson will be missed. Is it time? Probably. But, all I can remember in my 30 years is Sloan and Johnson side by side on the sidelines. Crazy.

Here's hoping Ty Corbin gets the nod.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Who's next? Jim Boylen at the U of U?

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:48 a.m.

I hope he gets a ton of accolades after being snuffed by the NBA for so many years.

Cheers for Coach Sloan!

• rjpkp Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:48 a.m.

This just feels wrong. It shouldn't end this way for Jerry. Not in a dramatic fashion like this. Does this mean that Corbin or Layden is now the coach? I'm hoping this report is wrong, but it probably isn't.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Coach Sloan...we wish you the best. You have brought a lot of fun and excitement to Utah over the years. I believe you have done more with the limited talent you have had than any other coach in the NBA. Phill Jackson is not half the coach you are...he just had/has the benefit of great talent at his disposal.

• holt56 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Well, all you Sloan haters out there get your wish. I'd sure like to know who we're going to get that will produce the consistent success that Jerry has provided. This is a shock, and truly and end of an era.

• sports fan Provo, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:51 a.m.

We will miss you coach. sorry it ended this way. you gave us some of the best basketball in the country and it is a credit to you and the success you have had that our expectations are so high.

Good luck in the future coach i really cant see us doing any better with a new coach but if you think we can than i believe you.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:52 a.m.

What the?????????????

• bryHunt Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:53 a.m.

Very sad to hear this news. Coach Sloan is such an icon of hard work and toughness. Will really miss seeing him on the bench and in the official's faces. I will miss the dry humor in pressers and the John Deere cap while wearing a suit.
    Especially sad he, like John and Karl never got a ring.
    I am sure he feels like it is time, and hopefully the players respond well to whoever steps in.
    Best Wishes coach. Since I am sure he is reading this. Enjoy the tractor time on the Farm!

• SoCalJazzFan San Diego, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:55 a.m.

With all due respects to Jerry and Phil--and I have lots of respects for them--perhaps the coaching change will be good.

Good lucks, Jerry and Phil!!!

• CoUtegar Universal City, TX
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:56 a.m.

Shocking...I don't like it, they will both be missed terribly. Not good, not good at all!

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:57 a.m.

A huge shocker. I thought the game ended badly (poor play calls and poor play making by Williams...it happens, even to very good players), but expected nothing like this.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:58 a.m.

If it is true, thanks Coach for a great run! Fixtures like you are missed.

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:58 a.m.

bummer.....

should have won coah of the year multiple times during his career

sad way to leave the organization after all he's done...

wouldn't be happening if Larry was still running the organization

• three11stu Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:59 a.m.

I have heard many Jazz fans say that Sloan is the problem, and that he is the one that needed to go. But my question is this? Who is going to replace him? One of the assistants probably, and they have all been in the system so long that the only way they know how to coach is how Sloan did it. If the coaching was the problem, the Jazz need to clean house, along with the GM and change the philosophy of the team.

I hate to go off topic, but that is what RSL did, and they won a championship after that.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:59 a.m.

:( Beginning of the end. In a year DWill walks too.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:01 p.m.

Jerry always said that if he felt he was not good for the team, he would step down....

Maybe he is feeling that the players are no longer listening to him and maybe a change is in order....

WHo would replace him? Phil will be gone as well.

• jp3 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Larry is rolling in his grave.

• SnipeHookyoFace Farmington, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Absolutely awful! Thanks D-Will! Happy you got your way now???????

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Good for Jerry and Phil. Guess they got sick and tired of trying to coach a bunch of lazy, disinterested, underachievers......

• Mctejman Farmington, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:05 p.m.

could things get any worse?

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Alright all you Negative Nellies, you got your wish, now what?

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Yayyyyyy I am sooooo happy now!!!

• CanYouHearMeNow Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:06 p.m.

and thus... the beginning of the end.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:07 p.m.

I guess their comes a time when the Coach says enough is enough. I am tired of trying to make professional players out of spoiled brats who think they only have to come and pick up a paycheck.
    These players should spend every week day in the off season keeping their bodies in shape so they won't continue to have so many physical problems. I would have been laid off if I missed as much work as Boozer does and as does Kirilenko.

Players if you want to make millions then I suggest you better start playing like millionaires, because what I see, you have been taught and coached, but it is not sinking in. You claim you have pride in winning and doing well, but it sure is not evident on the floor.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Jerry Sloan = Top 5 coach in the league for the past 20 years.

Are there any other Top 5 coaches ready to be hired?

Jazz are done. DWill walks in a year.

All you spoiled fans who were so upset that we made the playoffs every year without winning a championship will now realize what its like to go to the lotter every year.

It's over!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:10 p.m.

This is VERY BAD! Coach Sloan is one of the top NBA coaches of all time and if this is the end of his tenure in Utah it's a sad day in Jazz history.

Thanks to Coach Sloan for his dedication to teaching his players to play the game the right way and for being the type of role model our kids growing up in Utah could look up to.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Can't say I blame him. Thanks for the memories coach. You will be missed.

On another note, Jimmer for Coach!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:11 p.m.

If Sloan wants to retire then that is fine and he has certainly earned it. But if he is being forced out in any way then I am done with the Jazz. The Jazz need a new GM A LOT more than they need a new coach!!

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:12 p.m.

Well Todd,this what many of you have wanted,lets just hope they have someone in mind to replace him.I can`t imagine who,Hosni Mubarak,? rumor has it he`s available

• We the People Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:13 p.m.

Thanks for the memories, Jerry!!

• J in NY Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:16 p.m.

Sad, sad day. I am a huge Jerry Sloan fan. HUGE! I cannot imagine what the Jazz are going to look like without him. I'm very, very disappointed! Jerry Sloan is the Utah Jazz.

• MESOUTE Albany, NY
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Deron William is most likely behind this trash and I do not like it. First he blows up our coaching staff, next we should look to him signing as a free agent with one of the high-marquee teams. Not good at all. O'Connor put these scrubs together, drafted Hayward, etc. He should get the axe.

• chiefbrady Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:19 p.m.

Anyone reading the quotes from D-Will lately could figure out there was tension between them. I believe the tension grew into animosity and I'll bet anything there were talks of trading D-Will. One thing is certain: the Jazz will never be the same.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:21 p.m.

• 4D Provo, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Why now and not and the end of the season? Disappointed in Jazz management. Sad day!

• jonjon Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:25 p.m.

Tons of Respect for Jerry Sloan. Nobody was ever allowed to talk in my house while he was doing an interview. Good luck to him

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:25 p.m.

So sad to see this old warhorse and icon have to go like this in the middle of the season. I cannot believe it...and believe it is a tragedy.

• MN_JazzFan Coon Rapids, MN
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:26 p.m.

this is shocking and sad... hope they are melting the bronze for his statue overlooking Stockton's and Malone's

• dforth79 Orem, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:33 p.m.

If Jerry wants to retire, I dont see him walking until the end of the year!! If he is forced out, I am done with the Jazz!!! After last night best point guard in the league my foot!!

• Samwise Provo, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:35 p.m.

This is absurd. Maybe after the season it would have been good. Maybe it was about time for a change. But changing the head coach in the middle of the season. I hope I am wrong, but I think the Jazz can kiss the playoffs goodbye this season.

On another note, apparently D Will called Sloan's offense too restrictive? Well, it was not too restrictive for John Stockton. I used to respect D Will, but not anymore. I would not mind if they trade him. He is going to leave when his contract is up anyway. May as well get something for him.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:37 p.m.

The Jazz's problems are caused by one thing, and one thing only. Guaranteed contracts. It's time to bust the players "union" and make these overpaid schmucks actually earn their money by giving them year to year contracts. Boozer was the poster boy for that. Get rid of Kirelenko, Okur, and several others. Without guaranteed contracts, people would actually play. That's why the college game is so much better than the pro game. Go Jimmer.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Is this for reals? Seriously? I can't believe it. In the middle of the season??? Never thought it would end this way. Jerry has been the coach almost my entire life!

Sometimes I criticize his use of time outs and subs but Jerry is a GREAT coach and this is a sad day!

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Unbelievable and unacceptable. I refuse to believe that Jerry Sloan would quit on his team during a playoff run. This is one of the greatest coaches the game has ever seen and one of the best coaching tandems ever. 95% of the NBA world calls this guy one of, if not--the best. Only a few x box playing haters would say anything different and even they would probably have not blamed Jerry for ANYTHING that has happened on the minus side this year. Look at the players we replaced this year! How could we have not expected to have major highs and lows (which has happened). Please please please, all sides--act like adults and reconsider this insane move. These guys are heroes in Utah.

• apa salt lake, utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:42 p.m.

I will miss Jerry. Utah was lucky to have him for so long. Its sad it ended like this. Alot of former NBA greats have said they would have loved to play for Jerry. Lots of respect. Hands down the toughest coach in the NBA. A couple of years ago Charles Barkly said Jerry was the toughest person on the Jazz team. Players are different now and maybe it is time. Players don't want to out "tough" there opponents like John and Karl did. Blood and guts. I think this group never totally bought into Jerry's system. It might be a good thing for this team? I can't say enough good about Coach Sloan. What a man, What a stud, What a legend. Were's the statue boys!!!

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:42 p.m.

checking the bible....

yep.

Sloan retiring has been added as a sign of the apocalypse

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Wow. I had a feeling something was going to change, but I didn't expect something so abrupt. I hope they do make a trade as well.

Jerry has been a great coach and it'll definitely be WEIRD not seeing him on the sidelines. He's one of the greatest coaches in the league, but you know, it was time for a change. I hope this will take us in the right direction.

Who do they get to replace him? I like Ty Corbin but would his coaching style be comparable to Jerry's? Fundamentals are necessary, but so is flexibility.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Wrong coach retired...

• JNA Layton, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Yep for sure its the coach's fault (sarcasm) Those multimillion dollar cry baby players have nothing to do with the losses, only the wins (sarcasm again)

It would be great if the NFL and the NBA had a lockout to teach these spoiled brats a lesson in humility. (no sarcasm intended)

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:44 p.m.

What a travesty for the Utah Jazz. Coach Sloan is a great coach and it is sad to see him go. He is an old school basketball Coach who wanted mental toughness of his players and if you didn't want to give it your all you would sit on the bench. He is a great coach and its too bad the NBA never saw it that way and give him any accolades as a coach. The NBA's criteria for coach of the year is someone who is hip not someone who can take castoffs and journeymen and mold them into a team that almost made the playoffs like Coach Sloan did after the Stockton and Malone era. Good luck Coach and you and your style which was a trade mark in Utah will be missed.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Like I said when Larry passed away, things will never be the same. If Larry were still around, this would not be happening. Greg is NOT Larry. This is just the tip. I would be shocked if the Jazz are still around in 5 years. The Miller kids will take the money their dad made and sell out.

• Thomas Dawkins Layton, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:45 p.m.

I can't speak to whether or not this is the right move, but it's sad that it's ending this way in the middle of the season after a losing streak.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:47 p.m.

I think this person has hit the nail on the head. It was posted on ESPN's website:

"He's resigning due to his "superstar" player giving up on the team. Deron hasn't believed in this team the entire season and it's started to show. Great player, but TERRIBLE leadership skills. "

• Adam12 Roy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:49 p.m.

So, I think it's obvious who the new coach should be. Jimmer.

• Eliper Farmington, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:49 p.m.

Larry Miller ought to be spinning right about now.

• 9er4life Provo, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:50 p.m.

I'm one of those who thought Jerry should have retired a few years ago but not like this. I think he's a great coach but I just think the game has past him by a bit. I rather see him finish the year but the players he have are not good enough to finish in the top 4 in the west. We wish you the best of luck Jerry!

• Hurricane Roberts Ranch, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:51 p.m.

Stupid people who were trying to run coach S outta town. Now the Jazz will never be good again. Deron is in trade talks. I wanna cry.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Can't blame the guy, he's coached his life away with the Jazz and its finally time he took off and got away from these rich spoiled babies.

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:57 p.m.

The timing is very suspect. I can think of a few possibilities (I am sure there are more):

1) Jerry was given choice after game last night to "resign" or be fired. Given his relationship with the Miller family and their longstanding faith in him, this seems almost impossible.

2) He was informed that a trade will go down that he just can't live with -- so he is resigning. Also seems improbable, but not as much as #1.

3) As suggested by some earlier posts, he has been unable to get this current team to work with him and mesh with each other, and he has finally decided it
    is not likely to happen in the future either -- so he is resigning for the good of the team, to see if some other coach can make it work.

• EddieEagle Cabot, AR
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:59 p.m.

For all those Sloan haters out there, maybe you can get your way and win a trophy. Sorry it will likely be the won Cleveland owns right now

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Sad day. End of an era. The League, game, and players changed. It could be worse though.

Signed,

Seattle Supersonics

• Democrat Provo, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:00 p.m.

Wow, this is too much to take. No real signs of this coming. And Johnson too? What is going on. I hope everyone's health situation is OK and that there isn't some drama uncharacteristic of Coach Sloan or the Jazz. I wouldn't have expected this to occur during the season.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:00 p.m.

This seems so abrupt and strange.

I also wonder what AK going out of the Jazz coach room has to do with this resigning....strange turn of events indeed.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:05 p.m.

I think they ought to bring in the wizards of knickdom and east coast fame, Scott Layton and Isaiah Thomas...that will set things straight.

• mfed Layton, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Breaking News:
    Peanut butter has announced it will resign from the PB & J sandwich...

To many of us, Jerry has been the only coach we've known and it's hard to imagine the Jazz without him calling the shots. I'm not about to argue whether or not it's time for Jerry and Phil to step down, but talk about big shoes to fill.

• Fuzzbrain Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:06 p.m.

Thanks Jerry, you gave it your all & never asked for anything in return but hard work from your players. I really wish the Jazz would move Coach Sloan into the front office & let him finish his working years still in the organization. Also, changing coaches is only part of taking the team forward--they really need to make some trades & develop a team that pushes the ball up the court. Every team that has ever won an NBA championship was known for it's tough defense & it's fast break.

• Capt. Smash Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:08 p.m.

Not good Sloan was the best coach in the NBA. I hope he goes to a better team and organization. He was the very best!

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:08 p.m.

How about Sloan stays and we send Kevin O'Conner packing? He is the genious who let Mathews go to Portland and drafted Hayward with a top 10 pick.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:15 p.m.

I think Jerry just got sick and tired of trying to coach a bunch of lazy, apathetic, underachieving crybabies.....

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:15 p.m.

I hope Williams did not have something to do with this....but has their ever been a softer twerp, then those to Euro Charmin Okur and Kirilenko...BB47.
    This team did it....Evans is the only old school guy left...I don't know what happened to the Jerry Sloan clone..Raja Bell. Now they will get some stiff like
    Layton to take over.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:20 p.m.

WOW! Looks like the Bulls have something to do with Jazz history...AGAIN. If the Jazz won last night, we're not having this discussion.

Thanks coach Sloan for some wonderful years.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:21 p.m.

"The Jazz will continue on after today, but they won't be the Jazz. I don't know who they will become, but they won't be the Jazz."

They should rename themselves...

Wait for it...

The Jimmers.

• louisiana jazz man Dubach, LA
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:24 p.m.

it is time for a change but not this way at this time. not going to the championship game with him or without. should have left him alone untill the end of the season. little odd to sign him to a extension then run him off. either kevin was trying to tell him how to coach or telling him they are trading kirlinko. was reported kirlinko came out of the coaches office not the locker room looks like ak gone. wouldn't think sloan loved ak enough to resign

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Yahoo sports reports that "the coach had tired of dealing with the teams best player. The frustration escalated on Wednesday night when Sloan and Williams clashed in the locker room at halftime."

HHe decided right there in halftime that he was done," a league source told Yahoo! Sports. "He felt like ownership was listening more to Williams than they were to him anymore. He was done."

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:31 p.m.

Its about time. Sloan is the definition of average. He is a good enough coach to make players better, but not good enough to get them to play at their true potential.

• TMung99 Bluffdale, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:31 p.m.

This is either going to be a horrible move... or one of the greatest moves ever... not going to be in between, will be interesting to see what happens. Time will tell if they are still the Jazz or end up being the Spazz.

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Sloan reportedly had a heated conversation with Kevin O'Connor last night. What could that have been about? Maybe trading away our best shooter, Korver, letting two of our best hustlers and quintessential Sloan players ever get away, Matthews and Brewer, tying up all our money on one of the most under-performing and psychotic max money guys ever, Kirilenko, and failing to replace a seriously injured player, Memo. Sloan is a guy who speaks his mind, and if he thinks that things are going downhill because the front office is destroying his roster, so be it; it's either time to get rid of the GM or the coach. But who is right? My money is on Sloan.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Houdini..That was pretty funny.

This is the best day of CJ's life. Now maybe we can run and gun and get 40 minutes a game.

Jerry's system is too much old school for today's game. I think Jerry made the right decision for him and the team long term. He couldn't coach the punks of today's game. CJ included. It will take the Jazz about 4 years to recover from this change or they will immediately rise ot the top. Should be interesting around here.......

I think you are going to see some major trades in the next week.

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:35 p.m.

now if Deron can find a way to get rid of David Locke calling the games on radio, this situation could be made a little less painful

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:37 p.m.

From Marc Stein at ESPN:

"Two sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that Sloan reacted angrily during Wednesday night's home loss when guard Deron Williams called his own play on the floor different from the play Sloan called from the sideline.

That led to an emotional dispute at halftime, sources said, which was followed by Sloan's closed-door meeting with O'Connor after the game.

But one source stressed that the play-calling flap was just one incident among a number of flare-ups in recent weeks, indicating Sloan's relationship with Williams has been deteriorating."

• Bulldog8 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:38 p.m.

Can't wait to hear more details about this as they come out. Is Jerry being forced out or is it his choice to leave? And why right in the middle of the season? I want to hear more about what is going on...and why is Phil leaving with him.
    No matter what the case is you will be sorely missed coach.

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:42 p.m.

Jerry needs to finish out this year! He deserves to go out a hero and a legend, and not walk out the back door. The Jazz front office needs to do whatever it can to keep him around until the season is over and then give him the send off he deserves and has earned. Anything short of that would be a travesty.

This is one Jazz fan that will miss him, and I want to tell him thanks.

• Jim987 West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:42 p.m.

I have long waited this day that Jerry Sloan would leave the Jazz orginization. He was good back in the day, but times have changed, the NBA has changed drastically. The only thing that has not changed about the NBA is Jerry Sloan. He still coaches the same way. He does not evolve for the better. He wants to run "Stockton to Malone" style of play. While other teams have gotten faster and more athletic. The Jazz stay are slow and run half court sets. The jazz cannot defend run and gun teams very well or teams with any height advantage. I hope the Jazz can get a young coach that will mix things up and put the right combination of players in at the right time. When D-will was recently sidelined on the bench for injury Earl Watson ran the point, and he pushed the ball up the floor. When Earl did this the Jazz broke their 7 (?) game losing streak. The next few games Jerry had Watson "slow it down", this resulted in poorer team performance. D-Will can now be rightfully placed as "Team Captain" and run some plays his own way, I beliveinyou Dwill.

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Well, it was going to happen sometime. Better it happen now in a year when the team is going nowhere fast. Did anyone see him coaching the team to a title any time soon?

I'm a huge Jerry supporter, but I have to admit I'm intrigued to see how things will change once the new staff is in place. Is Corbin the answer? Who the hey knows?

The guy gave over two decades to the same employer in a job that normally chews guys up and spits them out in as little as two years. He wasn't a little flirt like Larry Brown or a Phil Jackson prima donna. Tyrone or whoever will have a large shoes to fill.

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Wow, how sad! I guess the greats of the NBA are about done. NBA will never be the same. Such babies playing anymore......lets give them all a wage cut, and pay them what we all get paid for working hard, then lets see them cry. Here's to you Jerry Sloan! Enjoy some relaxation! You have definitely earned it!

• LSDBasketBall Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Thanks for the memories coach. The Jazz!
    The only problem with the team is: They have been missing free throws and three pointers lately. Therefor we need Jeff Hornicek to be one of the coach's. He could teach them how a 2 guard is supposed to shoot. And teach jump shooting. Then we need to do what the top teams do.. Do what we already do... win. We are a top team and will continue. Everything will work out fine. 22 years is long enough. just as 2 terms is long enough for any senator or congressman. And, One term for our current president.

• KK Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:51 p.m.

This is a day that will live in my worst memories as a Jazz fan. This is as sad as seeing Stockton retire. I guess enough is enough for Sloan. He lasted so long in the league because he was one of the ELITE.

• Ashtrash Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Well, D-Will, I hope you're happy!

It's all on you, now, buddy...

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:06 p.m.

I was a Jazz/Sloan Fan. I have not been a player fan since Stockton/Hornecek.

Best of luck to Coach Sloan and thank you for all the memories!!

• J1234 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:08 p.m.

I blame D-Will.

• Reed23 Layton, ut
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:20 p.m.

Can anyone explain why Sloan is considered one of the best coaches ever? If you coach long enough, you will win a lot of games. If I am not mistaken, he is the only coach in NBA history to have 2 hall-of-fame players on his team for 12+ consecutive years and not win a title. He clearly has no respect from his players and cannot motivate the players. So glad to see this change!

• gazelle Murray, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:21 p.m.

This is very bad. Deron Williams is a joke. Yeah I said it !! A complete JOKE !!!!!!

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:27 p.m.

Jerry just signed a new deal which means the organization did not plan to fire him.

Clearly we are learning that Deron derailed the whole thing with his ignoring coach and Sloan is sick of it.

Clearly Sloan is tired of players ignoring his calls when they are playing poorly and losing games.

Sloan is about WINNING and when he has players calling their own plays and losing games because of it like Deron did down the stretch then I can understand why he would have no more tolerance.

This shows what kind of player Deron is. It also shows how selfish and what a poor leader Deron is. Deron is the leader on the team and yet what has he led his team too this season?

Clearly Deron has been ignoring coach for a while and where has it gotten them? Losses.

Sloan is tired of these sissy, soft, selfish players and who can blame.

Unfortunately we are left with the soft, sissy, selfish players now and no Hall of Fame coach.

Deron will get his wish.

Coach gave Deron all kinds of leash and now Deron hung the coach and the team with it.

Nice Deron!

• cval Hyde Park, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:28 p.m.

If it is true that DWill was ignoring him, then my respect for him just went way down. When one player thinks he is bigger than the team, losing will shortly follow.

Hmmm, what has been happening lately?

I hope Corbin gets the job, but whoever it is, I predict it will take 3-4 years to get back to what this team was at the beginning of the season.

• Idahoan Burley, ID
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:32 p.m.

Wow... 5 months the 3 longest tenured Coaches are now gone. Cox - Atlanta Braves, Fisher - Tennessee Titans, and now Jerry Sloan.

I will miss old school coaches.

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:34 p.m.

23 years is plenty of time to rule the kingdom without a title.

The game has changed, for better or for worse. Keeping and developing hot talent is the name of the game. Jump shooters are a must. 3 point specialists are a must. Defensive centers are a must. A coach who can put those together and adjust are a must.

While his resignation won't solve everything it is a start.

• Big Daddy Ute Logan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:35 p.m.

Keep Sloan and Phil. Trade that cry baby Williams. Williams, if you happen to read this, please so away. You are the embodiment of everything that is wrong with the NBA (National Baby Association). You could not carry Stockton's gym bag. I am so disappointed in his actions lately I could puke. Coach Sloan, we will miss you, stay close.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:37 p.m.

I was hoping Boylen would get fired this week!
    It is sad it is ending this way for Jerry, but he really does need to go. He is tired and bored with the game now. How about the utes make a trade Boylen for Phil!!!

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:38 p.m.

Good luck Sloan. Thanks for all you have done for Utah and the NBA.

I apprecaite the coaches, management, and players for not playing this out in the media over the last few months. This comes as a surprise to everyone outside of the organization. It has become common for players to speak publicly about these issues.

I anticipate an inernal promotion to head coach until the end of the season. Management will evaluate the market in the off-season. Would not be surprised to see Hornacek come in as temporary assistant coaches.

• Cedar Jazz Fan Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:40 p.m.

This is a disaterous day for Jazz fans and the franchise. I wish Sloan and Johnson the best! No offence to coach Corbin, who I have always liked as a player and assistant, but it will be a miracle for him to even equal Sloan as a coach. I like Williams a lot, but if it was a choice between him and Sloan, management made the wrong decision. What a string of disasterous decisions in the last year (wasting our #9 pick on Hayward, letting Korver go and now letting Sloan go). O'Conner should be the one resigning! At this rate we will be finding out what it is like to be a Clippers fan.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:41 p.m.

Deron you nailed the wrong guy.

You bought into the Jefferson hype when you had Boozer now you have a shadow of an allstar and the weight is on you and it does not fit you well.

With this single stroke of genius you will have the achieved the pr prowess of Boozer. Now the fans will perhaps be slow to rally behind you when you turn the ball over 3 times in 2 minutes or get outscored 3 to 1 by less of a player.

Perhaps the Jazz should have supported the coach, benched you and let KOC trade in the unemployment lines. It would have been a lot more palatable.

I imagine that it hurt when your old team mates come to town and beat you with a lower caliber of team.

Shows me that even though you think you know things, winning is not one of them.

Sad day for the Jazz operation.

• UtahToad Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:41 p.m.

I'm betting we see a revolving door of coaches here at Utah like the Clips and the Warriors. There will never be another like Sloan.

• Mark Benson St George, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Thanks DWill, Thanks Kevin O'Conner. Now you will reap what you sow, enjoy the 'Cleveland' like territory you just led your team into. Nice, very nice.

• Casey*The*Decoy Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:46 p.m.

First of all I would liek to wish Jerry the best but I also need to say I have been waiting for this day since I was a kid. Sloan has been coaching way too long and his players dont show any heart are any hustle because they dont agree with his style.
    Yes, he won a lot of games......well guess what...my grandma would win those games with the players he has had. He has never once thought about guarding the 3 point line or has never thought bout leaving someone in when they are on fire. He sticks with his system and he has given him zero championships.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:49 p.m.

I love coach Sloan and am saddened and shocked to see him leave. This however could be the right time. I'm not sure Sloan has very many years left that he could be a good coach. If it comes down to losing your star player or a great coach that might not come back next season anyways, you have to go with the player.

I just hate how this ended.

All intelligent Jazz fans will deeply miss having Coach Sloan on the sidelines.

• Casey*The*Decoy Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:51 p.m.

And for you you D Will haters out there you apparently dont know anything about basketball. He doesnt get along with Sloan cause he tries to control every aspect of the game. He plays certain players certain minutes based on his own decided plan. Things change in games and you need to adjust and Sloan doesnt know how.
    The Bulls stole the ball at the end of the game from D Will casuse korver was screamin on the bench the play we were running because we run the same play every time, Change it up Sloan.
    We should all thank D Will and start realizing he is gonna get us closer to a championship than Sloan ever would have

• Mike in Texas Allen, TX
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:59 p.m.

Maybe Dwill should be made a "player coach". Wouldn't that be a hoot. Maybe then he will learn for Coach Sloan.

On second thought I should'nt have made that suggestion. The Jazz brass are just dum enough to try it.

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:05 p.m.

Congrats Jerry on 23 good years with the Jazz. I thank you for your work ethic and consistency. And even though I'm not a huge fan of yours, they should still put a statue of you out there somewhere with Stock and Malone!

Clearly it takes more than one person to make a mess. Your GM didn't help you this year by getting the Jazz into this salary cap /player issues by letting go of talent due to the luxury tax. Clearly the current state of the Jazz has been weakened by recent moves.

Having said that, it was interesting to hear the bulls say that they knew at the end of the game after a time out, that the Jazz would run one of two plays and they quessed right. Change is never a good thing, hopefully it's good on you and the Jazz!

• Andrew J. Marksen Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:06 p.m.

I have canceled my season tickets, burned my Jazz flags, and trashed all my stuff with a Jazz logo on it. The ownership has sacrificed their integrity and their soul by puting the values of a spoiled, diva player (who wasn't staying here anyway) over a coach who made this franchise so good for so long. Larry Miller must be turning in his grave. In 2 years the Jazz will be the Cleveland of the west if the players are not put in their place. Disgraceful treatment of a hall of fame coach. What a terrible black mark for a once proud club.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:09 p.m.

Trade D-Will....he has turned into Allen Iverson~

• The B.I.V. Centerville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Out with the old, in with the new, I say. Sure we might lose for a few years, and we might not, but hopefully we're done with the maddeningly grinding mediocrity year after year! Anything is better than that...

• sportsjazzfan Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:18 p.m.

good job D-Will hope your happy. Now you can go screw the team over the rest of the season and get what you want. go pull a lebron James in 2012 and win your championship. great job just great(sarcasm)

• Mark Benson St George, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:28 p.m.

Casey*The*Decoy the definition of a 'Coach' IS to make the decisions. What don't you get? Are you KOC's brother or what?

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:31 p.m.

Jerry is right up there with John Stockton in toughness, class and principle. Good Luck Jerry and good luck Phil. It may be that it is time for something new but I am sad it happened this way. Jerry deserved to go out on his terms and I guess, in a way, he did if the rumors are true about the clashes with Williams and the Management siding with Williams. I never have liked atletes that put themselves before the team, don't listen to their coaches and think they are bigger than the game. Deron will likely be gone after next year if not before. That will be his big thank you to Jazz brass for siding with him.

• Ztothek Santa Clara, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:37 p.m.

Much love jerry! Much love!

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:46 p.m.

Admiral Hyman Rickover once stated that "we are all doomed to ultimate failure". With hopes for "fair winds" to Coach Sloan. So what else is new in the modern world. He had trouble with a "cottled star" and management backed the star. O'C will now name a "black coach" to work with a black player who is not really black. Ty Corbin is a great guy from DePaul. However, is that really the problem? Was it a racial sensitivity issue or just a "spoiled brat" who already has his bags packed wanting more and more? Bill Russell could not coach overpaid black players and Corbin won't be able to either.

• Reed23 Layton, ut
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Can anyone explain to me what "toughness" Jerry has brought to this team? No defense? Anyone seen Sloan yell at a player lately and call them out? Jerry is S O F T SOFT. And for y'all calling D-will out, you don't get it. Just because Jerry has 10000 million wins and 0 championships doesn't mean he knows better than D-Will. Williams is entitled to his own opinion and it is perfectly ok to voice opinions contrary to the coach. So you can all get off williams back and start recognizing that just cause Sloan was a decent coach in the Stockton and Malone era doesn't mean jack about him now. Loved the change.

• Brettski2024 Concord, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Thanks for the memories coach! Best of luck to Jerry. Dwill is out of here as soon as he can and the Jazz will move to Seattle or San Diego.

• Mark Benson St George, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:15 p.m.

Reed23, question, DWill is a player, one of 12, Jerry is the Head Coach. You have obviously never played OR Coached, I have, both. You don't get it.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:21 p.m.

DWIL had the guts to challenge and was tired of the same ol thing. I respect DWIL more than I ever have to challenge the way this franchise has been falling apart. You better make moves and get players, or you will lose DWIl and then you will really complain

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:31 p.m.

this is a sad one for me...he is the only coach i respected in the NBA...there aint a lot of coach like him...its very sad to see him go like this...he didnt even finished the season...

• gazelle Murray, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Re: Reed23

We do not get it? You do not get it. Your same arguement. Just because Deron Williams was good at the beginning of the season or past seasons does not mean jack about him now. Because lately he has been horrible.

You obviously have been missing these masterpieces he has been painting the last month or so. And you know what ? It is not his playing bad that really bugs me. It is his attitude. Oh everyone time out Deron Williams does not like to lose. Please

The only good thing at least in my opinion is the signing of corbin. I hope he lays into these guys. Sure seems like he has the energy watching him jump all over the bench..

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Its time for Williams, Mr. Turnover, to leave...I am sick of the organization pandering to this grumpy,
    cry baby.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:45 p.m.

There is a time for all things to come to the end. It was time 6 years ago. Is there still time to send Williams packing too?
    There is a coach in Logan that can coach big guys.
    Just some random thoughts.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Wow.

Not good.

Not.

Good.

At.

All......

• UtahDerek sandy, ut
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:56 p.m.

D will most go coach killer

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:58 p.m.

In the future, if we are a CONSISTENT playoff-bound team like Coach Sloan had virtually EVERY year, I'll be shocked.

Sad. Terribly, terribly sad.

Coach Sloan deserved better than this.....

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:12 p.m.

i sure hope this means an overhaul change...i hope koc gets replaced...i hope the entire team gets traded for multiple first round draft picks...and get those players who are coming off the books...and rebuild...if you are going to replace a legacy...make sure you leaven no trace of it...sucks jerry has to leave...i think his system works...he only has mediocre players at his disposal...heck...during the stockton and malone era...other than hornacek...everyone else was mediocre...and they still went to the finals twice...the rockets...who have 3 hall of famers...got eliminated game 6 by stockton's three...Jordan's bulls who has pippen rodman harper and kukoc is a far better team than what we have...but we took them to game 6 on our second trip to the finals...and in recent years...he managed to get us a trip to the western conference finals...players are just students of the game...coaches are the teachers...i sure hope they blow this team up...and start rebuilding...

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:13 p.m.

This is a sad day in Jazz history, but maybe this might kick start something.

Trades now need to be completed - a fresh start

Ty Corbin, does not have long see what could happen this season , or we blow part of the team and build for the future - which might cost us DWill

Who knows what the new collective agreement holds for all parties!
    As for Jerry Sloan & Phil Johnson - Thank you for all your years of service - it was appreciated

• holt56 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:27 p.m.

JBQ, this is not a player or race issue. Sloan decided all by himself that it was time to go. Corbin is the man for the job, regardless of his color. You should be ashamed.

• Nevada fan Washoe Valley, NV
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:30 p.m.

The way this has played out is not good, but the game has changed and Jerry hasn't. When they picked Hayward at the 9Th pick that's was the last straw and not only picked him but started him, got more PT than Fes and he does not really help this team as much Fes. Guaranteed the pick was his call, also he has never went after a quality center he would rather play PF at the center spot. IU got respect for the man but it was time.

• Peter Coyotl West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:37 p.m.

Good luck and best wishes. Enjoy the farm. You were the toughest hard-working player I have ever seen. I was fortunate to have seen you play in person at the old Chicago Stadium back in the early 70s.

We will miss you Coach!

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:39 p.m.

Let's stop the finger pointing and play basketball. That's what Jerry would do.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Well I sure didn't expect it to end like this. I would have liked it to have been on a much more positive note. Jerry was a great coach. I hope this infuses some good things into this Jazz team.

I was at the Bulls game and I sure didn't like the way it ended but I think that was much more the fault of our star point guard then old coach.

Good Luck Jerry and thanks for the hard work.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:49 p.m.

One thing we should all remember about Sloan...he preached staying between your man and the basket, even if you were gonna get creamed with a pair of knees to your sternum. I hope we see now more of Fez, Gordon, and Jeremy...they all can play good D if given the chance...and one day they all will be decent scorers, too.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 10, 2011 6:25 p.m.

There really are only two people who could have made this happen.

Sloan and Greg Miller. Since Greg just resigned Sloan's contract that implies that Sloan quit.

KOC does not have the power to dethrone Sloan. DWill gets the blame but he does not have it either. In fact DWill is less valuable to the Jazz without the Sloan system. He is more replaceable in with a different system.

The truth is the Sloan system (5 different versions) only worked about 1/2 of the time. It was very hard to implement consistently. When it worked well it was a thing of beauty. But it stunk when it did not work.

D'Antoni and Sloan are very similar. Both are very good coaches. Both would rather do it their way than win.

The Jazz were going to miss the playoffs if something did not change.

Sloan consistently made the playoffs but his way also insured that the Jazz could not go farther.

BYU replaced good coaches in a bid to get better. The Jazz can now get better.

Corbin will get replaced if the Jazz do not produce the rest of the year.

Greg is committed to winning.

• jimmer65 el dorado hills, ca
    Feb. 10, 2011 6:29 p.m.

All Sloan does is win regardless of his personnel. Its rare to see defensive effort every night in the NBA and Sloan is one of the few coaches ever to control big egos and get that effort most nights. Sacramento got rid of a good coach in Adellman and look at the lowly Kings. I think Utahns maybe took his winning for granted.....Look at the poor Cavaliers, Pistons, and Kings---I get the feeling that Miller, Utah, and Jazz nation might finally see what losing is really like.

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 6:44 p.m.

I hope that Corbin takes the Job. I hope that things are not made worse. I hope that each player realizes that they must hold them selves responsible for there actions and can no longer blame it on the system or not knowing the system. Fresh page and time for every player to prove there worth.

• MisterPhillip Murray, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 7:05 p.m.

Jerry Sloan resigns?

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!
    Any other coach in the NBA would have been sacked YEARS ago with a record like Sloan's. Romanticizing about is 'long illustrious' career is like longing for the good old days when we were guaranteed to catch cholera or scarlet fever.

With a NEW, FRESH coaching staff, perhaps we can look forward to some WINS next season! GO Jazz!!!

God bless you Jerry and enjoy your richly earned retirement. Pity you couldn't be selfless enough to do this 5 years ago. Or even TEN. X-P

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 7:09 p.m.

One of the sad days in sports history.

Sloan is an Icon!

One of the greatest coaches in Basketball, and all of sports history!

A true Warrior!

A Great Man!

A Legend!

Deron Williams couldn't pack John Stockton's Lunch bucket nor Chris Paul's, Steve Nash's, Derrick Rose's, Russell Westbrook's, nor Rajon Rondo's among many many others.

Sloan was in Utah for about 30 years and accomplished many significant triumphs...Deron will be gone in a matter of months & his most significant accomplishment in Basketball will be (the kid that was involved in Jerry Sloan's Resignation).

I salute you Jerry Sloan...along with Larry Miller, John Stockton & Karl Malone!

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 7:14 p.m.

Jerry Sloan, Larry Miller, John Stockton, Karl Malone and Hot Rod Hundley will always be remembered as Jazz Legends.

• one day... South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 7:33 p.m.

"His most impressive qualities were his leadership and his extraordinary ability to encourage his players to subjugate their individual games for the benefit of the whole"

THAT'S the reason why I always like the Utah Jazz, Classic, Basic, Team play based, and the beautifull pick and roll!!! I'm going to miss that!

And for all those who are in their 20 or under, I'm sorry but you will never understand how's to lose a real an true basketball coach!!!

Best wishes to Jerry and Phill!!!

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:04 p.m.

Sloan is a legend!
    Now that Sloan is gone what is Todd From Santa Ana going to do with his time?
    Corbin is going to rock!

• JazzyMan Meadow, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:09 p.m.

Hey fans ,two wrongs don't make a right. By booing Dwill,we hurt the overall team.Lets not poke our eyeballs out to spite our face.Sloan has obviously been here a long time,and in my observation of recent games it clearly looked as if more players on the team other than Dwill were not happy with Sloan.i repect Sloan and all he has done for the team,but I thin k it was time for him to move on whether we are worse for it or not.Sometimes you have to take a step back to take some steps forward. Lets support this team and our new coach Corbin.They will need the fans support.Dwill is an emotional player who wants to win badly ,and I think that's what Jazz fans want also.

• Jzzfan South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:22 p.m.

I love the Jazz, I have always been a die hard fan, even when the seasons were not so good I still loved watching because Larry Miller, Jerry Salone and Phil Johnson made this such a stand up orginization. I will miss that, if Greg doesn't spend some money on players and learn to manage the way his father did it will be very hard to continue to support my favorite orginization.

• Jzzfan South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Greg Miller and Kevin O'Connell have done nothing to help out Jerry and his staff. They tie up all their money in AK and trade, Matthews, Brewer, Korver. Unreal

• Bond Mc Lean, VA
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:43 p.m.

Tis sad that Larry is not still with us. It is doubtful that this would have taken place on his watch!
    Thank you, Jerry, for your dedication and patience and leadership.
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:50 p.m.

I want to see a Bronze Statue of Jerry Sloan right in front of the Delta Center or whatever they call it now!

He deserves it...and it better be at least 10 feet tall!

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:12 p.m.

I check the papers every day in hopes that the headline is Utah Basketball Coach Resigns or Utah Basketball Coach Is Fired......but not Jerry Sloan. This should be Jim Boylen the worst coach in the history of the state of Utah. Why oh why did my wish not come true, I guess you have to be more specific than "I hope and pray Utah fires it's basketball coach." I should have said JIM BOYLEN. Ugh! Thanks Jerry Sloan for all the memories, you were a class act! Now come on Chris Hill let's keep the changes coming, FIRE BOYLEN!

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:47 p.m.

so its leaking that dwill and sloan didnt get along .. i met dwill one time and he acts like he is royalty .. (sorry dude all you can do is put a ball in a hole)... well i always thought we should have taken cris paul .. he is looking like he was the class guy .. not williams..the jazz just made a huge mistake(if this was in any way them choosing dwill over sloan or not backing sloan) williams is not blake griffn or k. durant,there are literally on only 5 or 6 players who i you would choose over sloan .. and thats only bc sloan would retire in a few years anyway regardless .. williams definately isnt one of them i would have traded him in a heartbeat and gotten sloan the right type of players that wanted to play hard..point guard is the easiest position in the nba to replace. and i cant stop fantasizing about all the players we could have aquired in a trade for dwill..

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Feb. 11, 2011 12:25 a.m.

Hee hee...Zeppelin and Houdini, I will be as always fair and critical as need be. Life does not end, the Jazz will go on and maybe prosper with new leadership. This now really puts the pressure on o Connor. He is the loser in all of this. Now he will have to not rely on Sloan, Corbin may have his own mind. O' Connor may be forced to be creative and do something to try and improve the Jazz this offseason. Now with this turmoil, even less likely any deal will be done. That is the one negative in this, but would not have happened anyway.

• jazz4ever San Mateo, CA
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:20 a.m.

Quite interesting comments here.
    I for one, loved sloan's way...and at my level play the same. picks on offense and hard D as much as I can.. jazz will never be the same.
    As someone mentioned, dissing d-will over this will ensure he will move elsewhere very soon. One has to support their team as long as they play hard, win or lose!
    Having said that, I give it about 10% d-will will stay on. If jazz show promise this yr, end up 4,5th and get to west semi's, maybe.
    lastly, here's my take on what happened.
    I doubt d-will whined or anything like that. I think, they always disagreed on offense, maybe since a few years....against the bulls, willaims forced the issue by ignoring coach and calling his own play and probably defied coach in front of other players at the half..
    knowing sloan..once that happened and he realized mgmt was not going to back him on any suspensions..he walked away!
    Jazz fans should be thankful that fate put stockton and sloan together in Utah.. anybody else.. I doubt Sloan would have lasted 23 yrs!

• the Mailman Melbourne, Victoria
    Feb. 11, 2011 2:36 a.m.

@ Dr J

Dont be afraid of change. The sun will still come up tomorrow and who knows, the new Jazz coach may end up with more titles than your man Jerry - he certainly can't end up with less.

Some people are in it to win, and others are happy just to compete and make up the numbers. The Jazz have fallen into the later category now for far too long. At least this change gives some of us fans who set the bar a bit higher reason for hope..

And oh yeah. I've always had massive respect for D-Will and nothing has changed. Speculate all you want but none of us know why Sloan decided to pack it in.

• From Utah Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 8:50 a.m.

I hate to see Sloan go. I got to know the Jazz in the 80s with Stockton, Malone, Sloan, Larry Miller and many others (including Corbon). The Jazz were often and underdog. There was magic going 7 games against the Lakers. Sloan is the last of My Jazz. I wish Corbon the best. But the Jazz is just another big business now. Players are a market commodity. I guess coaches are too. What I hate most is the Sloan's last game wasn't a W (or can we chalk that coaching up to know-it-all Williams?), and that there is a cloud and so much bitterness about him now. Jerry Sloan is a great guy, the kind of guy I'd be honored to hang with any time anywhere.

Best wishes, Jerry,

DB

• pat1 Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 9:11 a.m.

As retirees, my husband and I know what it feels like when it is time to leave. You just get tired of the rat race and the rats in the race.

Yes, we didn't have jobs in the spotlight nor did we have to deal with famous athletes. But when that time came, we knew and we left.

When everyone was speculating upon the "whys," Jerry just said it was time. We admire this. Sometime you just decide and then to. The stuff is what it is and doesn't need to be explained to anyone.

Thanks, Jerry, for all your hard work through the years, your loyalty, your integrity. It was a class act. And you left in the same way.

• It's Been Fun South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2011 9:38 a.m.

Wonderful. Just wonderful...My Jazz are falling apart. Larry Miller is upstairs looking down at all this drama and saying, "What are you idiots doing?!" What's going to happen to us now?

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    Feb. 11, 2011 9:41 a.m.

dwill was becoming a cancer we needed to trade him .. every one of these trades was possible i checked on espn's trade machine .. we needed to support the most proven and winninest coaches in nba history and do a quick rebuild.. we are never gonna win with dwill anyway..or koc for that matter

D will for ... steph curry , Ekbe Udoh, and (andres biedrins..

d will for .. aaron brooks,kevin martin,and j. hill

d will for .. nene hilario , ty lawson. aron afflalo

dwill for.. D. Favors, devin harris, anthony marrow

dwill 4..j prizbila,a miller,n batum,rudy fernandez

dwil 4.. r. sessions,jj hickson,a parker,d gibson

dwill 4.. rodny stucky,ben gordon, greg monroe

dwill 4..luke ridnour,wesly jhonson,michal beasly

dwil 4..gerald wallace,s. livingston,dj augustin

dwill w..michal dunleavy,deron collison,brandon rush

• SoCal Roger Costa Mesa, CA
    Feb. 11, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Some say that Jerry Sloan was old guard, old school, and outdated.

I am very sad to see Jerry leave. I saw the news conference live yesterday. I could see the emotion in Jerry's eyes that it was very painful for him to leave the game that he has put his whole heart and soul.

I would hope that the people of Utah and most specifically the people of Salt Lake City realize that many of principles that Jerry hoped to instill into all of the players that he coached were timeless principles not old guard, old school or outdated.

I am going to miss Jerry, I am going to miss his determination to win, to work ethic, and most of all his love of the game.

I wish all of the luck and happiness to Jerry and his family.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Sloan has been a class act from the beginning to the end.

It takes a great human being to recognize when he just doesn't have the energy anymore, and to step aside so as not to be a hindrance to the team.

He will always be one of the greatest coaches in the game. That is why he is in the top 5 winningest coaches, and is in the Hall of Fame.

Thanks for the memories, Jerry. We love you more than you can know.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Feb. 11, 2011 12:01 p.m.

For all you player haters, DWill wasn't the problem it was father time.

I agree with John Stockton, a fighter like Salon would not quit because of a player. My gosh the man coached while his wife was dying with cancer because he loved the game. I just don't see that same passion on the sideline. For example, I can't recall when was the last time Salon was called for technical.

John Stockton:

We had our share [of rocky relationships]. I think that goes with the territory sometimes, [with] point guards and coaches. Youre kind of an extension of your coach, and youre going to have disagreements and battles. I dont know if thats the root cause of all this. I would hope not. I think that if Jerry resigns, nobodys going to run him out, I dont care who it is. I think its just a sign that it was time, hes fought a lot of battles. Maybe he doesnt want to argue with his point guard or anybody else any more. And I think hes earned that.