Sports

Utah Utes basketball: No. 6 Aztecs leave little doubt, drub reeling Utes

Comments

• game on Centerville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:32 a.m.

I'm soooo glad you guys have Boylen, it takes all the pressure off us. What a jewel, he says "we didn't respond well", well who's fault is that. He recruits underachievers and hasnt a clue how to coach or motivate them. Maybe the Basketball team can apply for the WAC conference, wouldn't win it but maybe move up one slot in the standings.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:34 a.m.

Sounds like Utah was in this all the way to the opening Tip....

I'm sure Boylen will turn it around in two to three years, don't be so hard on him... He's got a lot of things going for him....

1).He doesn't have to play in the MWC anymore after this year and goes to the much easier PAC 12...

2). He's only going to have to play BYU once a year.... and,

3). It usually takes his players a couple of years before they decide that they don't want to play for him anymore, so he can start recruiting now for the batch that will quit on him from the current team next year and I am feeling fairly certain that they won't be any worse than what he has... So it should be a step up.

• Stay the Course Provo, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:05 p.m.

Hey Chris B and Hedgie. you guys OK ?????

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:55 p.m.

@Hawaiianaggie

I don't think he would either but there are some things about the utah job that are an upgrade over the USU job, that is just the way it is. But are they enough? Probably not. Stew has a great thing going on at USU and can probably keep that job until he falls over dead. He's pretty much a hero in Logan.

I would compare his situation to Whittinghams. Other, seemingly better, jobs have come along and he has stayed put. There is a reason for that and my guess is it is because he likes where he is at and simply doesn't want to leave.

I wouldn't worry about him going anywhere but that doesn't change the fact utah should try.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:09 p.m.

Hey... according AP Sports writer Bernie Wilson there is some consolation in this loss.

He writes:

The way that SDSU blitzed Utah early the only thing that was in doubt was whether the crowd was going to get curly fries.

It didn't...the only bummer on a night when SDSU raced past the hapless Utes 85-53 on tuesday night...

If SDSU holds opponents under 50 points fans get free curly fries...

Way to go Uteys...there were 12,414 hungry fans in Viejas Arena last night.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Feb. 9, 2011 6:21 p.m.

Only one thing to say....OUCH.

• HawaiianAggie St.George, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 6:17 p.m.

Duckhunter,

There's not a chance in Hades that Stew would ever go to the train-wreck on the hill at the capitol. Brad Rock gave a pretty good reason why that is the case.

Good luck Utes. Go Aggies!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 9, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Maybe wyoming with no coach, and maybe tcu who doesn't play basketball...but no other chances to win this year.

Do I hear players packing it in at the end of this year too!

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 9, 2011 3:58 p.m.

8 more games, less than 35 days until the day I have called for since 2007, Boylen will be fired. He has destroyed this program. For the first time in 32 years I am ashamed to say that I turned the TV off after the first 10 minutes of the game. I would have never thought I would not watch a Ute game LIVE or on TV, and I have not missed any in almost three decade's. Winning and losing happens. But this is it, this is so beyond pathetic. I can't wait for the press conference. What I don't understand is how Yner fans will come on this board and pretend to be pyschic with predictions of the Utes taking last place in the coming years in the PAC-12. The Utes do have talent and a big time hire should occur with the Utes going to a power conference. So I say, things are looking up. Boylen has put the final nails in his coffin. A real coach is on his way and times will be changing. Wish it did not have to take this long, but glad the end is almost here! Go Utes

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 3:39 p.m.

@dutchman

Morrill would be excellent at utah, of that I have no doubt. Utah maybe could get him. I don't know him at all, although he is another Provo Bulldog which I love :) but he is a great coach and you would think with the success he has had at USU he could increase that exponentially at Utah with more recources, a more desirable location to recruit to, a better legacy for the program and a better conference. He would also remain a state employee and I'm guessing he has one of those state pensions due to him and that would remain the same if he went to utah.

I just think he is a perfect fit. But then again I'm not sure how he feels about Utah or if he has been in Logan long enough now that he is entrenched and settled.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Three Cheers for David Foster! An excellent example of a "Utah Man". If I had a vote I'd make him POW for the MWC. I look forward to welcoming David to the MAC on Saturday...loved your comments related to Coach Boylen, you stand up for the man and the school when times are difficult. Mr. Foster, you are a true "Utah Man"...I tip my hat to you sir.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Big_Ben

I don't think you are a Troll if you read and post on another team's boards. I happen to look for and read your comments because I find them to be intelligent and informative. So, unless you suddenly find yourself purposefully misspelling names or citing meaningless stats to "prove" that your dad is bigger than my dad, then you don't have to worry about being tossed in with the Trolls.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:31 p.m.

"it seems like the only one's who were bothered were BYU fans"

That's because you're so used to hearing that type of stuff coming out of the MUSS that you didn't even notice it.

It obviously bothered some Utah players, however.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:55 p.m.

It is not good when your team gets beat and your coach's first remark was "that was awesome". What is Boylen going to say when his team gets "Jimmered" in front of a sold out Marriott Center? Here are a few comments for him. "That was exciting!" "That was so fun today!"

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:52 p.m.

This was painful. I watched maybe 5 minutes of this game. I believe Utah has some good players, (I'll bet Rose or Morrill would love to have either of their 7 footers) but they don't play as a team. I was thinking that they should keep Boylen until the end of the year but now I am thinking that they should get a new person in there now. I would hate to see other players leave the program because of him.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:22 p.m.

This season has to be embarassing for the Utes. I support them as I do all Utah based teams. It's all about recruiting talent. Obviously Coach Boylen and his staff have problems in this area. It's tough to get elite players to come to the Behive State....let's face it. And you have to get down into the ghetto high school areas and make your case to come to Utah. That is just too much to ask. So you are stuck with recruiting marginal players. Majerus and others plumbed the international market as well, with some success. Teams around the country are sucking up the creditable international talent. I see no real solution at Utah as they are on the verge of joining the PAC-10/12 next season. The Utes this year are an embarassment to the university. Unless things change, the Utes will be at the bottom of the new conference standings, no question. The Utes need to cultivate the idea of growing their own coaching prospects for this market. Bringing in a hired gun from across the country has clearly not worked. I'm advocating a change of thinking on the hill.

Go Utes.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Duckhunter,

I fully agree with your assessment of Boylen's contract and a possible buy out. I believe your numbers are accurate. If it is just the 200,000 base salary that must be paid then that is not a problem as you say. If it is the $850,000 for two or three years then the only way that happens is if a booster or several boosters step up to complete a buy out. I also like the idea you propose of going after Stew Morrill. His league is disintegrating and he will have the opportunity to rebuild which some coaches love and others loathe. I really don't know who else is out there unless there is someone in the Missouri Valley Conference or the MAC. What about making a run at Steve Alford at New Mexico? Sounds crazy I know but we Ute Fans keep shouting how great the PAC 12 is going to be why not see if it can attract one of the MWC coaches?

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:24 a.m.

Following the game on Saturday, there will be a short memorial service to honor the Utah basketball program...

which will be declared officially dead.

Dr. Hill chose to ignore the heart monitor too long.

The ghosts of Runnin' Utes past will have to sub for the remainder of the season.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:22 a.m.

The Boylen experiment needs to end.

I actually think this years Ute team has more talent than last years yet the result is the same or even a bit worse.

He claims that his offense is so complex that they are just scratching the surface... The "pro-set" offense that he is running is out dated and destroying our program. Nobody moves off the ball, I don't see any back side screens on or off the ball - it just is not working. I agree with a comment above that they should have never tried to run against them - we can't run.

It will be interesting to see what type of strategy he uses at byu - if they try to run it will be even uglier than before.

I know the basketball program has been hampered by Giac's contract and extending Boylens was a mistake but they need to pull the trigger now.

Also, I'm a Ute fan and I don't mind the comments from the SDSU students - it seems like the only one's who were bothered were byu fans... hmmm, I guess everyone is just classless in your eyes.

Go Utes!!!

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:14 a.m.

kiaoraguy

There won't be anything borderline about it. The hate speech from the SDSU student section is a foregone conclusion on February 26th. I fully expect it to be as vile and disgusting as the Aztec students can possibly make it.

Duckhunter

Time to wave the white flag and call a truce with Big_Ben. He's really a pretty good guy, even if he is a Utah fan.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:00 a.m.

@Dew Cougars

I'm not sure if that void the contract or not. But of course he won't do that, no one would. What I do wonder is if utah will simply have to pay him his base salary, 200g's, or if they will need to pay him all the other stuff that inflates his compensation to about 850g's?

If it is only the 200g's then I think he is gone, they can swallow that. If it is 850g's then he may very well be back for another season at least.

If they do fire him then Chris Hill has to make the hire of his lifetime. He needs to get someone that not only will be a quality coach but also someone that will stick around for awhile if he does have success like Whittingham.

I think they should make a run at Stew Morrill myself. I don't know if Morrill would take it as he has a pretty good thing going up at USU but he would fit those criteria probably.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:55 a.m.

Maybe it's time to get rid of Hill he can't get it right in BBall oh Tommy2Shoes I think it's 6th best you forgot SUU maybe Dixie Snow Westminy CEU and Lone Peak.

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:55 a.m.

As someone who learned to love college basketball in the Einar Nielsen Fiedhouse, and saw such great stars as Billy McGill, Jerry Chambers, Mike Newlin, Merv Jackson, Ken Gardner, etc., I can confidently say this program needs more good players. They simply do not have the players to win. If Utah can't recruit inside the state--Alex Jensen, the Johnsen brothers, Jeff Judkins, Danny Vranes, Tom Chambers, and so on--the Utes will never win. Right now, they have no credibility. Running Morgan Grim out of the program up to Utah State is a perfect example of the way to lose all in-state credibility.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:23 a.m.

I wonder what happened for Boylen to call timeout with one second left, and then when he shook hands with Steve Fisher he said something to surprise Fisher.

Whatever.

Sounds like the best way to prepare for a top ten team is not to take the day off, and hit the beach.

Wonder if Boylen is going to take the kids Skiing on Saturday?

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:15 a.m.

I hope Jimmer plays 20 minutes and rests...

• longtimebooster San Diego, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:14 a.m.

FWIW, the caption in the photo is incorrect. The player about to have his shot blocked by Foster is Billy White, not Kawhi Leonard.

As for Boylen, he clearly needs to go. Do yourselves a favor -- get out the checkbook, swallow hard and buy him out. It's the right thing to do.

As for feeling sorry for Ute fans, uh, no can do. I was at the game in '99 when the Utes beat SDSU by 35. They then took us to the woodshed in SLC and won by 48. Our coach, Fred Trenkle, was fired when he stepped off the plane from SLC. The Yootz did us a favor. We then went out and hired Steve Fisher.

The Wheel of Karma has now turned full circle. Hopefully, your coach will be fired, too, thanks to SDSU (and a 50-pt. blasting/win-margin by the Zoobs this weekend.)

• lasermann Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:10 a.m.

I actually don't have a problem with the SDSU Student Section chants. They were informed and clever, and it isn't anything that we're not reading here from Ute fans. And Foster admitted that it affected them, which was the goal.

Plus, it was way more entertaining than the game.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:10 a.m.

Duckhunter,

It has been quite some time since I posted in a strictly BYU article. I am not a hypocrite; because I don't do it myself.

If you can find an article where I post on a purely BYU article, and Im a troll, then I will apologize.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Hedge & B. are quiet now, but never fear, they'll be back.

This was a bad game in which murphies law was in full effect. The taunting of fans only adds fuel to the fire and it's hard to stop a train in fast motion. I don't really think the utes are all that bad.

BYU-----88
    Utes----73

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Utah fans- you think the trash you heard from SDSU was bad? Wait till they attack BYU- borderline hate speech. SDSU is the new Wyoming

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:53 a.m.

If Jim Boylen choose to Resign on his own without being asked by Dr Hill. Will Utah still have to buy out his contract?

That sdsu student section was a poor class act and Steve Fisher should have told them to knock it off. Yes, we all know those students will be wearing Missionary stuff when BYU face them. Oh well, might as well say goobye on their "farewell mission".

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:30 a.m.

The Utes haven't quite hit rock bottom just yet. That will come on Saturday in Provo. I am looking for a 40 point spread unless Rose calls off the dogs at halftime.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:25 a.m.

As usual big ben you criticize another for something you do yourself. You post in most BYU articles so what is wrong with a BYU fan posting in a utah article? I'm trying to help you out big fella because that lowest level cannot be pleasant.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:15 a.m.

" I find that most Utah fans are clueless to any sports beyond football. I guess that is good because you are CANNON FODDER in almost every sport."

Hey, how dare you forget about our gymnastics! We know our gymnastics better than anyone else! HA!

/Sarcasm

• Cococay Dallas, TX
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Good comments wwookie, sportscenter, sports-junkie and Big Ben!!! Well said! The Utes looked like a bunch of Stooges out there playing last night and so did their coaching staff! One would have to wonder what in the heck is this coach teaching these guys??? Is there any accolades for the MOST TURNOVERS??! They'd for sure win this HANDS DOWN!! They CANNOT hold the ball to save their lives and Mr. Jigger and Mr. Kupets need to be medicated before each game...they are way too spastic!! O'Brien is an ok player IF he's allowed to warm up and so is Hines, who I think is their best DEFENSIVE guard, but he's benched most of the time or only plays a few minutes. Clyburn looked as if he's lost all interest in the team and the game and I know Foster and Jay Watkins are soooo glad to be seniors!!! At this point, it's either a NEW COACH or another MASS EXODUS!!!

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:12 a.m.

You made it easy to turn off the game after the first 10 minutes.

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:08 a.m.

SDSU fans are total trash. I'm all for good natured smack talk but chanting that Boylen will get fired and telling the players to transfer is just plain vile. It's no longer fun smack; it's personal.

This will probably pale in comparison to chants BYU will get...

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:05 a.m.

Wow, how do I even comment. I am a cougar fan but I probably watch as much Utah basketball and football as the best Utah fans do. I find that most Utah fans are clueless to any sports beyond football. I guess that is good because you are CANNON FODDER in almost every sport. As for the game. Utah players were out of control. The did not have the horses to keep up in the run game. Yet they continually tried to run with SDSU. They needed to change the game to stay in it. I like Boylen and still think he can be successful but last night was woeful. Saturday they will try to keep up again and the same thing will happen. These two teams play very good team defense. Utah did not take care of the ball. Their shooting discipline was gone in the first couple of minutes. I am not sure that the coach was in control of his team last night. There was a serious lask of discipline. I am beginning to wonder if they can win any more games this season. Too bad, so sad.
    Jeff

• IDC Boise, ID
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Utah does have some talent. I watched the game while working out this morning. The thing that stuck out to me was the turnovers. Balls thrown out of bounds and rebounds dropped out of bounds when no Aztecs were even close. I was also surprised how SDSU worked the Utes inside. The Utes have good players, just need to put it all together.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:51 a.m.

MichiganCoog,

I know that Duckhunter will come to your defense, but your comment is really sad. Im sorry, but BYU has a fantastic team this year. you will probably make the swee 16 and then some. Why the obsession? Come on man. There are plenty of Jimmer articles written by Greg, Dick, and Co. to keep you entertained aren't there?

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:40 a.m.

Time for Boylen to go.

There is talent in the program. If we can find a coach, we can be decent next year and build the program.

Cougras, I hope you whip us good on saturday, but I doubt that will be a problem.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:40 a.m.

Ute fans, the cup is half full. Next year we join a weaker conference. 500 season is possible. I remaon the eternal optomist!

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:35 a.m.

After a close game in Salt Lake City, the Utes were completely over-matched in San Diego.

The only positive to be taken from this game is that it's over and the season is one game closer to being finished.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:16 a.m.

Hedgie, Chris B, where are you guys? What's the matter, kitty got your tongues? Darn, another shellackin on the hardwoods, kinda creating a trend that could spill over to the gridiron next fall.

After listening to Normy on 1280 the zone this morning w/ Hans and OC...His words: "alot of concerns at RB, and no idea on the QB situations until 2 months from now"...Robles? Wynn? And..."The weekly grind in the PAC12 is going to be a new thing" for the Utes, no longer any gimmie games that were enjoyed in the MWC"...Gotta love those "Brimming w/ confidence" comments by new OC.

Can't wait for the PAC12 "cainings" of the Utezies to begin...Hello PAC12 basement, here we come!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:15 a.m.

I feel so sorry for Utah fans having to watch such a pathetic performance by their team and then having to listen Boylen basically throwing in the towel - we got punched in the face early, and QUIT!

It would have been so much more exciting having a Top 25, Majerus-lead Utah team coming to Provo this Saturday.

The Marriott Center would have been so loud, it would have made the SDSU game seem calm.

Oh well.

Watching another Jimmer show against the Utes will still be fun; and the Marriott Center will still be rocking.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:14 a.m.

Boylin is a joke. Why cant he just lose with some dignity and self respect. The guy has to say something to every coach after the game about why they did something they did. Get over it and move on Jim, you look like a cry baby and you're not making any friends that way. And heaven only knows you are going to need as many friends as possible after this year.

As much as I enjoy a good ute beat down, that was absolutely not fun to watch.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:06 a.m.

SDSU has a student section? I guess the kids who ride the short bus have to go to school somewhere so they chose SDSU.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:58 a.m.

How much money are the Utes losing in lost revenues due to empty arenas? A basketball program can be turned around so quickly with the right coach. Surely Boylen can't be happy with the lack of fan support. Maybe one of those rich alumni will step up and finance a real change for the Utes. Must be difficult for the Utes' fans being the fifth best college bb team in Utah after BYU, USU, WSU, and UVU. Come on Utah get real now that you're a BCS team hire a BCS coach. Lack of money can't be your problem.

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:52 a.m.

Trainwreck!

It's so ironic that the Pokes can afford to buy out their coach, but the PAC 12 bound Utes have to watch their once proud basketball program disintegrate because they can't afford to get rid of Boylen.

By the time Boylen's contract runs out, there might not be anything left of the Runnin' Utes.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:46 a.m.

Dang Utes,
    I have tickets to see Utah vs BYU this Saturday and I was at least looking forward to a fun competive game. I guess I can out the competivie part, but it will still be fun to see BYU DESTROY Utah, what a joke.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:32 a.m.

Boylen: "I saw some positives from this game. Our turnovers are down to 15, FT shooting is up to 50%, we held the #6 team to 85 points, and all the starters scored at least 4 points. I feel confident this team in on the right track. These boys are the hardest working group of boys I've coached. I'm excited for my front row seat at the Jimmer Show this weekend, and I even get paid to watch it!"

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:28 a.m.

I liked Foster's comments in support of their coach. That comment, and perhaps Clyburn's play, may be the biggest take away from this game.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 9, 2011 6:36 a.m.

It's always interesting to me why three or four of the Ute trolls are always the first ones to add their negaitive commentary on BYU basketball / football articles, but they are conspicuously absent on articles about the Utes with them struggling. True fans stick with their team through thick and thin.

I really hope the team can get things turned around, (after Jimmer puts up his first 50 point game on Saturday). When the Utes and Cougars are both at the top, it builds both programs and it's good for the state.

• What's up? Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:53 a.m.

What can you say? Boylen said that the Aztecs "looked like a final 4 team". That may be true coach, but beating Utah by a bunch is not a mark of excellence. WYO said they fired their coach now because of the "negativity surrounding" their program. Can it get more negative with this program? What was with the game last second time out????

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:48 a.m.

Maybe Whittingham could coach these clowns and get some good play out of them.

• IA Cougar West Des Moines, IA
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:25 a.m.

Wish it were different with the Utes. I love it when they are up and BYU is up. Makes it a lot more fun.

As for SDSU fans? They are completely classless. Always have been. Nothing wrong with fun but they go way over the edge.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:02 a.m.

Sad, Sad, SAD day (season) to be a ute fan. My heart goes out to you.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 4:57 a.m.

What is Boylen's strategy? Players don't want to play for him. We can't recruit because of all the players leaving (after they were recruited). Why in the world would anyone want to play on this team with Boylen?

He might be a good guy and even a good coach on the court, but he shoots himself in the foot with his relationship with the players. That doesn't work at this level. Time to move on, he has had ample time to improve and the risk of him devaluing the Utah Utes basketball reputation is too much.

I feel very bad for these players, because some of them are very good and need a little more motivation.

• 4YNWYOMING Evanston, WY
    Feb. 9, 2011 4:41 a.m.

I'd like to change the discussion towards SDSU. What a team effort in San Diego against Utah (even though the Utes are having a tough year with young players). Once BYU starts their preparations for SDSU at SDSU, they had better focus like they have never focused before, because SDSU is difficult, if not impossible to contain at home. The fan base at the game will make the difference UNLESS BYU can get a bunch of points on the board quickly, to quiet those SDSU fans.

• softshack89 Bountiful, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:40 a.m.

They would have to buy out his contract, which isn't cheap, and then bring a new guy in. That's hard to do when the Pac 12 wants new facilities. Especially when the U can't even fill a quarter of the HC. They have no money to buy him out... Sad day for Utah Basketball. Maybe there should be some true fans who support through the tough times too (see BYU football attendance this year).

• The NIT Draper, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:21 a.m.

The total embarrassment continues - there are really only two options - fire Boylen or fire Boylen. I guess you could argue for an entire new roster - this time of Division 1 players...Dr. Hill you have to do something before none of us even care enough to write a post.

• BT4UT Pleasant Grove, Ut
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:57 p.m.

At this rate, I'm not sure Utah can win a game the rest of the season. It's time to do the right thing Boylen. RESIGN!!!!!

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:55 p.m.

Wow.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:08 p.m.

No worries, Boylen only has SEVEN games left! Prof. Hill will make that decision after BYU whips us on Saturday.

• UtahDerek sandy, ut
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:05 p.m.

Ridiculous...

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:00 p.m.

"SDSU (24-1, 9-1) pulled away in the pivotal first half..."

That's giving the Utes far more credit than they deserve. Utah was only in the game for the first four minutes, 10-6. With 11:32 left in the first half, the Utes were down 28-9 and the game was over.

The Utes did have 9 assists, but 15 turnovers, many of them completely unforced.

Clyburn was the lone bright spot for Utah with 18 points, the only Ute in double figures, on 7 of 18 shooting.

The most intriguing left for this season is whether Utah will get Jimmered for 50 points on Saturday.

Oh, and whether Hill can find enough money to pull the plug on Boylen.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:58 p.m.

Sorry, i meant 32.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:56 p.m.

Wow. No shame in losing to SDSU, but by 28. That's tough.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:51 p.m.

I really really miss Majerus. Really!!!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:44 p.m.

The silence is deafening.

• BigSportsFan!! ogden, ut
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:42 p.m.

The program has hit bottom.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:38 p.m.

I hope they had a fun day at the beach because the Utes didn't play with anymore energy than they have all season.

Jimmer time coming up Saturday.

At least it should be an entertaining show to watch.