High school boys basketball rankings

• Kramer Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 11:06 p.m.

I like the Jags!

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Let me put back together that next to the last comment with some "spelling out." First of all, where in that comment did I say that ANYBODY DID SAY S. SEVIER WAS UNBEATABLE? Though there is one person that did say that... JD Books. How good a football team is has no relevance whatsoever how good a basketball team is. However, if coincidentally, a group of kids are great basketball players and great football players (like last year's Hurricane team), the experience in the big game helps them a great deal. Let me put it more straight forward: if some of the key players on the San Juan basketball team were also key players on their state championship football team, that experience will help them in the big game. So... experience in big games DOES make a difference. :)

• SS Cedar City, Utah
    Feb. 12, 2011 7:16 p.m.

Let me disect this last comment: No one ever said S. Sevier was unbeatable, and why does it matter that San Juan has some of their state championship football players on their team? I've seen some schools with some amazing Football programs with some terrible Basketball programs and visa versa, it doesn't make a difference. Personally I'm glad that S. Sevier got a loss before the playoffs, it will keep them hungrey for the more important upcoming games. An undefeated season means nothing if you choke in the playoffs. The loss will take all the unneeded pressure of the undefeated season off their backs for the playoffs! A nice long week of hard practices ahead, I'm excited to see what happens in the next two weeks!

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    Feb. 12, 2011 4:54 p.m.

AH!CV: Looks like South Sevier stumbled before the playoffs this year. JD Books, why no comments now? ;) I still think you have to be wary of defending Champs South Summit in the playoffs as well as a San Juan team that undoubtedly has football state champions on it. 2A is more wide open than folks think! I would still rank S. Sevier number 1 next week but they are beatable... obviously!

• 2afan Layton, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 2:19 p.m.

smallballfan, you are a wise person.

• smallballfan Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 2:02 p.m.

Haha, I'm loving these posts from the southerners who haven't seen WA or Liahona play yet. They're in for some crow I think come tourney time. I also love the reference to Layton Christian, the same Layton Christian that took state in '07 and promptly got booted out of 1A by ignorant people like "Central Utah". Back in my day, we didn't make excuses, we just played to win, and if we got beat then we got beat. We never made excuses for our own shortcomings. I think there are many coaches and parents that need to re-evaluate what this 'blame everyone but yourself if you fail' mentality teaches our young people.
    I, personally, will be rooting for a Region 20 team to win (because that's where I grew up) or Liahona (I just love the way they play and are coached...fun team to watch). May the best team win!

• SouthExposure Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 12:20 p.m.

@1A 1WAY
    Are you kidding me? The Roundy boys who were on the Bryce Valley state championship team played in both of the previous State Championships games (both wins) when they were going to school in Escalante. Do you think that "experience" may have helped BV come tournament time? I would think so. And if you are to compare even last year's WA team's talent against Valley, Monticello, even the champs at Bryce Valley you would probably give the nod to WA. The talent didn't get them that far.
    Look at 2A and Layton Christian as a prime example. They are always an incredibly talented and athletic team. They are extremely competitive but lose out frequently in the tournament.

• 1A 1WAY Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 7:32 a.m.

I find the statement that experience trumps talent come tournament time to be pretty hard to believe.
    Take for example last year's tournament: Bryce Valley isn't exactly what you'd call a team with mountains of experience or tradition. By my count that state title puts the banner count in Tropic at an impressive one.
    Bryce Valley won not due to experience but raw talent. And I think you're just asking for a big helping of crow for dinner if you count out WA and Liahona.

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:33 p.m.

WA and Liahona in the championship game? No way! Been to way to many 1A tourneys to buy that!

• Central Utah Monroe, utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:18 p.m.

We are really talking apples and oranges aren't we? WA can recruit any and everyone it wants? So it truly doesn't even belong in 1A or 2A. S.S. has been accused of recruiting over the last few years....which has absolutely no truth to it. However, WA and others in the state can and do recruit! That makes the statement that WA has the best 1A or 2A school in a decade...kinda a untrue statement. My opinion schools that can recruit like that should compete against each other...only. That would make the playing field the same for all. Anyway I would still bet on S.S. in that game.

• SouthExposure Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Honestly, if you are saying the South Sevier was "very careful" with their scheduling then you don't quite understand what goes into the scheduling aspect of high school athletics. Most of the time you want to schedule teams that are in the other regions in preseason so that you can get a peak of what your classification has as well as to have game film of the other regions to be able to trade when it comes to scouting down the road. Not even to mention the fact that often if you call other classification teams to play, it's met with quite a bit of reservation. And not all schools have unlimited financial resources like WA and most teams are put on travel restrictions. So if you are saying that Coach Hunt's scheduling was done "very carefully". I would agree with you but not for the same reasons you say.

• AH!CV Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:24 a.m.

I have seen Wasatch Academy play. They are Athletic at nearly every position. But let's not put WA's schedule on some sort of pedestal. They beat 1 5A school and then played teams like Milford, Rich and an awful Emery team who lost to 6-11 Delta. Their 2nd loss came to a 6-12 Westlake who has been eliminated from the 4A playoffs with two weeks left to play. Oh and lets not forget a win over Diamond Ranch Academy, who, by the way, lost to Parowan's JV team by 30 around that same time.
    Wasatch Academy is a good team, but I really get sick of everyone putting them up as one of the greatest teams ever and blowing every win they have completely out of proportion.
    As for South Sevier, everyone said the same exact thing about them last year and they stumbled in the semi's. Tournament time often comes down to who you match-up against, your strengths vs. their strengths, your weaknesses vs. theirs. I wouldn't be crowning anyone just yet as "best team in decades."

• 1A 1WAY Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:38 a.m.

S S said:
    "I'll give it to you, WA did beat a 5A team, barely ... but classifications mean nothing against terrible teams. Copper Hills has an 8-9 record."

And I guess a 8-9 5A team is so much worse than the 3A juggernauts South Sevier have been feasting on? Juggernauts such as an awful 7-ll Juab? Or an even more pathetic 6-11 Delta?

S. Sevier doesn't need to do anything more for people to take them seriously. Anybody who has seen them play or even just seen a box score knows this is one of the best 2A squads in several years. But that does not change the fact that WA is the best team to come out of 1A or 2A in over a decade.

I get the feeling you've never seen WA play. Take a drive up to Mt. Pleasant then come back and talk to us.

• SS Cedar City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 12:08 a.m.

I'll give it to you, WA did beat a 5A team, barely ... but classifications mean nothing against terrible teams. Copper Hills has an 8-9 record. And I don't know what people expect from S. Sevier to take them seriously? I just watched them beat N. Sevier by 32 tonight! Do they need a winning margin of 50 to be thought of as good?! They may not have the toughest schedule in the state, but to win by an average of over twenty points every night and to have not lost one game in 19 straight is saying something. This year was supposed to have been a rebuilding year for them, with the loss of 4 senior starters. It doesn't seem that way so far!

• smallballfan Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:50 p.m.

WA went into Piute and won by 12, Liahona went to Monticello and won by 11...I think they'll be able to handle the "hundreds of fans" from their opponents just fine. I predict a WA/Liahona championship with Wasatch having to go through a very tough bottom bracket and Liahona cruising through that weak top bracket

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:24 p.m.

You are all speaking as if WA has already won the 1A tournament. The odds are against WA or Liahona winning the 1A tourney and this is why.... Experience and tradition are everything at tourney time. Also, they will both be over powered by hundreds of fans from these traditional teams that play in the semis year in and year out. If you have not been to the tournament before, you will have to be much much better than everyone else in order to win four in a row.

• WAdad Mt Pleasant, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 4:44 p.m.

I saw South Sevier play North Sanpete, and I was impressed. SS is a great team, there's no doubt about it. Would they beat WA? Hard to say, but it would be a good game. But when I look at the SS schedule, I get the feeling that they were very careful about who they agreed to play. They have games with good teams, but not too good if you know what I mean, methodical and hand-picked for an undefeated. That strategy makes you look good but dosen't make you a better team for state.

• Central Utah Monroe, utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Wow WA is very tall? Even on a neutral floor I don't know if you can bet against S.S. I noticed that WA lost to Bryce Valley a good team that South Sevier beat three times this last summer. So don't be too confident. I have seen S.S. against tall teams... you can't measure their desire or hard work because they are smaller.

• smallballfan Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:47 p.m.

re: SS
    WA beat a 5A school Copper Hills...heard of them?
    I've seen both teams play this year...WA is better. And I'm not a WA fan either, just a fan of small school basketball, and I'm telling you, on a neutral court WA should win...but we'll never know. S Sevier should cruise to a state championship, WA should too, although there are a lot more threats to take WA down.

• 2afan Layton, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:22 a.m.

The last two years S Sev. was said to be so much better than all other 2a teams.But they didnt win.While I also have them at 1 they are beatable and their coach will not let them get over confident.

• SS Cedar City, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:46 a.m.

To smallballfan,
    I think its interesting that you say that WA would beat South Sevier even on a neutral court, as if that would affect how South Sevier plays. S. Sevier has the only undeafeted record in the state and has blown out even 3A opponents by 30 or more points. They have had two or three close games. However, WA has two losses and the only teams they have blown out are schools I have never even heard of that only score 15 points a game! I think thats a bold, but unstable argument!

• 2afan Layton, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:24 a.m.

LCA defeated Maeser easily last night.After S Sev. and S Sum. its wide open and even they are beatable.

• smallballfan Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:16 a.m.

I think this year is the weakest for 2A basketball in recent memory. South Sevier is the only team that wouldn't get beat by the top 5 1A teams (case in point, Valley over Parowan last week). And I bet, WA even beats S Sevier on a neutral court. I usually go to both the 1A and 2A tourneys...let's just say I'm not really looking forward to the 2A tourney, but I'm already pumped for the 1A tournament. Can any of the region 20 teams upset WA and Liahona? Will Monticello make a run? Will Shawn Dickson drop 40 on someone? Can't wait!

• SouthExposure Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:54 a.m.

As much as this is probably fairly accurate, it is sad that the number 5 team in 2A is sitting at 5th in their own region, and will most likely win 2 games in their region schedule.

• Eagle Dad Fillmore, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:49 a.m.

I don't understand how a team, N. Sevier, can be last in their region and yet be ranked in the top five. Why not put Waterford or Maeser Prep, who both have pretty much the same overall records but better region records? Or why not Grand? They have the same overall record as well as 2 region wins, but only 3 region losses as compared to 5.
    That said, good luck tonight against S. Sevier.

• PG #1 FAN Lindon, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:27 a.m.

Happy to see North Sevier back in the rankings. Go Wolves, whip South Sevier tonite.

• HS Sports Guru West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 9:39 a.m.

Murray gets no love because they aren't that good and they haven't done anything since the Johnson brothers were there.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 10:48 p.m.

Murray doesn't seem to get much love, why is that?

• Tommy Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 7:36 p.m.

Strengths and weaknesses of 4A contenders

Timpview: Great guards, athletic and experienced. Do they have a go to guy, can they win games when they don't shoot well, why did they lose to average teams earlier this year?

Highland: Experienced, good in the half court, tough defense. Do they lack depth? Will 4th, 5th and 6th guys step up? Can their best players stay out of foul trouble?

Bountiful: Five guys who can score, never say die attitude. Are they too soft, do they have a go to guy to get them buckets when they need it in the half court?

Lehi: Great guardline. Quick, good shooters. Will absolute lack of size doom them?

Payson: lots of options to score. Lack of experience on the big stage. May not be as good as their record suggests. Have they beaten anybody?

Olympus: Good shooters, well coached. Struggle in half court. Lack toughness. Can they make shots in a big arena where they have no experience?

The field: Not enough tools to win four games in a row.