LDS Church issues statement on Book of Mormon satire

• AZhombre Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Hmmmm, a Broadway satire on the Book of Mormon...maybe not such a wise idea guys (thoughts on Agency, Freedom, and Liberty, from the Book of Mormon): "Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself (2 Nephi 2:27)"

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 2:27 p.m.

Yes, you could be wrong.

If you are correct, then we ought to conclude two things:

1. That Mark Twain lacked understanding of literature, and lacked understanding of how to evaluate the literary merit of a work. Is that reasonable? Shall we trust a confused Utah/Duke fan or Mark Twain's opinion?

2. Perhaps you lack understanding - especially of logic, as you appear to fail to realize how your argument condemns yourself.

But I am open to any value that might exist in the BOM. What does it add to mankind?

- That Jesus paid the price for our sins? We already have that from the Bible.

- That we should love one another, not kill, not lie, not adulterate, etc? We already have that from the Bible, and common sense, too.

- That God might command a person to kill other, defenseless people (like Laban)? We already have that in the Qu'ran and Old Testament. Not really a valuable doctrine, if you ask me.

- That God is "no respecter of persons", yet he has "chosen" a small group of people that he plays favorites with? We already have that from all religions.

What are we missing?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Feb. 12, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Actually, ones opinion of a given work as being "boring" is really just a subjective representation of ones ability to understand the subject matter. Many find reading math books - boring. To others, they find great delight in reading about the math.

So ones opinion that something is boring adds little, and detracts even less. It just shows either a lack of understanding, or a lock of desire to understand.

In fact, believing in something has nothing to do with whether it is boring or not. I am not a muslim, but that does not mean I find the "Koran" boring.

Even the deepest skeptic can find material they don't believe in to be informative at some level, and perhaps even entertaining. But to say something is Boring.... hardly the sign of inquisitiveness. And mockery, really not a sign of advanced thinking. Anyone can mock another. Fifth graders excel at it. A probing mind seeks to understand and doesn't need to diminish others to justify itself.

That just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 8:19 p.m.

Vince here,

Sorry to disappoint you with such a "boring" evaluation of the BOM.

I know Mark Twain's books are probably "boring" to you, but my opinion of the BOM exactly coincides with his.

Can I assume that you would consider it more "substantial" if I said the Book of Mormon is "chlorophorm in print"?

Does that satisfy your literary demands?

As for "most influential books", no "literary criticism" classifies the Book of Mormon as such. Perhaps popular press does. And what does "most influential" actually mean? Isn't that another way of saying popular?

Do you think popularity = truth?

Besides, I can find nobody of any credibility who lists the Book of Mormon among "the most influential books" nor among "the best books of all time".

But Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" makes it into at least one of those categories.

(Incidently, Marx and Engels' "Communist Manifesto" as well as Charles Darwin's "The Origin of Species" make it into those categories.)

So I think my opinion of the BOM as "boring" is pretty substantial after all.

• Vince here San Diego, CA
    Feb. 11, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Your comparisons are misplaced relatively speaking to history considering how long The Book of Mormon has been in print.

You will find that much of literary criticism will place the Book of Mormon as one of the most influential books written out of America.

For its influence and number of copies which have been printed, the comments "boring" are altogether cheap.

Further, you will find, that based on other influential books in America - or in world literature, in general, you will find readers who do deem them boring.

It is all relative. To some, Shakespeare is relative. To others, Faulkner, to others, modern philosophy.

In the future, try to find something more substantial than "boring."

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Utes Fan brings up an excellent point. As soon as a scholar believes that the Book of Mormon could be authentic, they are automatically discredited on this sole basis, and the myth that no serious scholar accepts the Book of Mormon to be authentic is perpetuated. Fact is, there are plenty of very serious and intelligent scholars, scientists, etc. who believe the Book of Mormon to be authentic. Trouble is, if they dare live what they believe to be truth, they are no longer taken seriously. I wonder what would happen if this same standard was applied to scientists who "believe" in global warming? Do we get to automatically discredit them because they drive a hybrid and recycle religiously?

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:50 a.m.

"You would think at least one anthropologist or historian who is not LDS would accept the Book of Mormon as historical, given how eager they are for documents and records, and yet not one does. Not a single one."

Of course you should realize that any scholar who does believe would become LDS, thus making it impossible to counter your criticism.

If you are interested, there are LDS scholars who believe. For example, take Kim Goldsmith, Director - Research and Study Center, New World Archaeological Foundation, San Cristóbal de las Casas, México. She believes the BOM is historical. Previously an archaeologist at Teotihuacan for numerous years BEFORE being converted to the LDS Church.

• Fairenough4U Draper, utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 4:36 a.m.

Amazing. God translates a record that is an actual historical record. In its translated form it has over 500 pages. It deals with dozens of aspects of several cultures in several areas of MesoAmerica and the Middle East. You would think at least one anthropologist or historian who is not LDS would accept the Book of Mormon as historical, given how eager they are for documents and records, and yet not one does. Not a single one. In fact, those who actually have had the patience to read the Book of Mormon adamantly agree that it is absolutely ridiculous to claim it is historical. Now that is a "Book of Mormon challenge" that would be impossible to match. I guess God's hand is staying all the evidence to make investigators and members live by faith when it comes to the Book of Mormon. It is nonsensical to claim the Book of Mormon is historical, and getting a feeling is not a means of proving its historicity.

• vic Colorado Springs, CO
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:38 a.m.

Interesting, but I am wondering when will be there the next satire: "How you too can get your 72 virgins". Or rather, how about an expose on the Muslim Brotherhood. That should be interesting if the South Park groupies would do this, but make sure your wills are up-to-date.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 8, 2011 8:49 p.m.

The likely colapse of the Anglican Communion during this decade is being driven by white liberal Episcopalians who regularly express views against leaders of the Anglican Church of Nigeria and to a lesser extent Uganda that are 100% racist.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 8, 2011 8:46 p.m.

I have to disagree with Sutton. For one thing his claim is not true. If I made a similar presentation that tried to insinuate similar things about Jews it would be denounced as anti-semitism and not allowed (well, unless I couched it in the terms of criticism of Orthodox Jews, and got a Reform Jew as my co-writer, and then it would probably fly).

This is plain offensive and meant to be so. I participated belatedly in everybody draw Muhammad day and drew a cartoon of Muhammad just standing there, to be a force against death threats against artists. I also drew a cartoon of Gabriel about to take Muhammad to Jerusalem on the night journey and Muhammad asking "why Jerusalem". I would have to say that many of the participants in this event had unwisely interalized the most negative and Amero-centric stereotypes of Islam.

I also would agree that this production mocks the people of Uganda, but it is a current article of faith among the liberal left at current that Ugandans especially and Africans in general are simplistic, stupid people who can be easily manipulated. I reject this idea.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 8, 2011 8:27 p.m.

I like this new setup of looked identities. Now I have a citable quote of Vanka being deliberately insulting. It actually shows how well crafted this statement was that no one managed to get through a fully insulting and inflamatory post until the 25th statement.

I have to second those who point out there are some things it is not worth debating. This is one of the harder things about the internet. It is difficult to determine the sincerity of inquiries. At the same time often what you say can be viewed by many people and so even if the first inquirer is not sincere, responding without the proper patience might turn-off a later sincere inquirer.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:52 p.m.

I have read Joggle's comments and, frankly, I am honored to be categorized in the same company. But it is a long way from Provo to Clearfield.

• AllSeeingEye Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:23 p.m.

@ Vanka 2:39 p.m.

How kind of you to consider the Book of Mormon along with the other sacred texts you mention. This is certainly a step-up from the typical approach of the Book of Mormon naysayers. And, yes, I have read parts of many of the books you list and own a copy of one or two. I don't know just what you mean by asserting that Joseph Smith called each of these books frauds. I doubt it.

But, back to my question. Let's try it a different way. Where is a book such such as the Book of Mormon written by an American? A fair question, I think, since most Book of Mormon critics are Americans. And, why can't they duplicate the book today?

• Joggle Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:07 p.m.

@Stay the course

Yes, I agree that my comments reflect myself, but whether you have interpreted them correctly is another story! Whether I have interpreted you correctly may also be incorrect, but if you are unwilling to debate the subject with more support for your argument I have no other choice than to assume things from what you present.

You might be a good person to debate here, but the restrictions prevent that from happening. I can not really present all my thoughts here, so I'm not surprised that you misinterpret me. That is possibly a problem for me as well. Oh well....it is what it is!

• Stay the Course Provo, Utah
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:50 p.m.

Joggle and Vanka
    Great minds think alike?

• Stay the Course Provo, Utah
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:43 p.m.

Your lightning fast response to any comment directed your way shows your the extra sensitive one!!!!!!
    How do you know I am even Mormon? your assumption only
    Yes I will continue to maintain your comments of others
    reflect the person you really are

• Joggle Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:39 p.m.

Dear Jan San

Do you not realize that their is contention from the LDS? Look at the rather objectionable (to be kind) remarks or assumptions put forth simply for disagreeing. There is no innocence here by some of your brethren....not all! Contention goes both ways perhaps, but many times that is what happens with debate. It's too bad some don't realize that and refraain from accusations and untrue character assumptions!

• JanSan Pocatello, ID
    Feb. 8, 2011 4:51 p.m.

I do not live in the state of Utah.. though I have off and on in the past,and we have new members here. I also went on a mission outside of Utah and had the blessing of seeing people I taught get baptised. I have had my own "MIRACLE" in my life.. some big ones.. but most small ones that still affect my life.
    Joseph Smith knew way back in his lifetime that his name would be made fun of so why should we be surprised by this? He also knew and told the saints in his day that the church would not be a "BIG" church as far as the world population but that it would be a worldwide church as meaning that it would be all over the world.. which is something we are still working on. The first I heard about this play was during the time of the hoopla with the gay marriage in Calif. so I think it is a back lash of that. Most of the contention on this board is not from the LDS but from those who seem drawn to be here to put the church down in some way. SAD

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Thank you for the reference. I had not heard of the Urantia Book before. I will be sure not to make fun of it ;)

On a similar note, have you heard of the book "Oahspe: A New Bible" (1882)?

The Title Page reads:

"A New Bible in the Words of Jehovih and His Angel Ambassadors. A Sacred History of the Dominions of the Higher and Lower Heavens on the Earth for the Past Twenty-Four Thousand Years together with a Synopsis of the Cosmogony of the Universe; the Creation of Planets; the Creation of Man; the Unseen Worlds; the Labor and Glory of Gods and Goddesses in the Etherean Heavens; with the New Commandments of Jehovih to Man of the Present Day."

Angelic beings used the hands of John Ballou Newbrough (18281891) to write the book.

The manuscript contained hieroglyphs, whose resemblance to real Egyptian hieroglyphs was attested to by Prof. Thomas A.M. Ward, who claimed to have deciphered the hieroglyphics on the Cleopatra's Needle obelisk in Central Park. Ward was present at Oahspe's first presentation, as was Dr. Cetliniski, an Oriental scholar, who attested to its authenticity.

• bryHunt Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 8, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Listen up folks! I think this kind of stuff is just terrific for the Church long term, although it surely is uncomfortable for us members intially. We believe what we believe and understand not everyone else does. In fact some think it is downright foolish. Truth be told I think they are the ones that are foolish and one day we will all know who was right and who was wrong. Until then, let's just be kind to each other and not make light of other's deeply held beliefs.
    Fools mock, but they shall mourn. When the day comes that these South Park guys are mourning their dumb choice to make this play I am sure a faithful Mormon will come along with a plate of cookies and put their arm around them and have a good laugh about the whole thing. Until then, we ought to thank them for bringing attention to the Church we love and for the honest in heart that will be spurred on to look into that book of Books. El Libro De Mormon! Seacrest.... Out!

• Joggle Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 3:18 p.m.

Dear Vanka,

Check out the "little known" Urantia Book for your list! The Urantia Book, first published by Urantia Foundation in 1955, claims to have been presented by celestial beings as a revelation to our planet, Urantia. It does not consider itself to be a religion and has no churches. Its main focus though is also correcting the Gospel of Jesus from the Bible.

So many books claiming they are the truth!

Do I believe the Urantia Book? No!

• carpediem Holladay, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 2:56 p.m.

It's true that retaining new members can be a problem for lots of reasons. It's a lot to ask most people to give up their Sunday and serve in callings, etc. The church believe it or not is still growing a lot faster then people are falling away from it though. Even if the opposite was true, I don't think it would matter much, because it's not about how many members there are.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 2:39 p.m.

You wrote:

"If the Book of Mormon is the outrageous fruad many purport it to be, shouldn't it be a simple task for someone to write a book like it, put that book into circulation, and create a result something like the result brought by the Book of Mormon? Where is such a book?"

Do you sincerely want answers? Others HAVE written books comparable to the Book of Mormon and circulated them, with amazing results.

Ever heard of the Qu'ran? Do you think it is "true" (the word of God)? If so, you must convert to Islam. If not, it was created just as you challenge, and has lasted longer and gathered more adherents than the BOM. Around 1.65 Billion people today believe the Quran is the word of God.

Heard of the Tripitaka or Dhammapada? As many as 1.5 Billion people today believe it is true.

How about the Bhagavad-gita? Upwards of 1 Billion people today believe it is the word of God.

Not to mention the Tao Te Ching, Analects, Kojiki & Nihongi, Adi Granth, Kitab-i-Aqdas, and many more.

Have you read them?

All frauds, according to Joseph Smith.

• A Wise Guy Spokane, WA
    Feb. 8, 2011 2:37 p.m.

Just a couple of months ago, an LDS missionary returned from Europe in our Stake and commented that one young man he taught and who converted in the Netherlands was first exposed to the Church by watching a Mormon-themed episode of South Park. Seemed odd to me, but I think someone who watches South Park recognizes that it satitizes about everything and takes that into account. There is a difference between mean spirited critism and just finding something funny, and I think this will be the latter.

• Joggle Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 2:35 p.m.

@boiseblue and others here

Attitudes like yours are just another reason to dismiss the LDS Church as well as any church. Members of any church who make accusations of being a LDS/Catholic/Baptist etc. hater, anti-Mormon, being a puppet of Satan, and insinuations of lying when you simply have an opposing opinion is not debate and certainly discredits the opinion. Ad hominem arguments concerning a differing opinion are irrelevant to the argument here. That being said...I would expect opposing opinions to mine, and along with that I expect support of the opposing opinion with reasonable arguments and facts when necessary. Sarcasm happens in debate however it is very apparent that cultural perspectives on sarcasm vary widely with groups finding it offensive to varying degrees. Perhaps we can all do better on that one....including myself!

boiseblue...Saying people are Satans's puppets requires evidence to support that argument! Do you have any evidence that people commenting here are Satan's puppets?

LDS shouldn't take this play so seriously that they become insulted by disagreement concerning the Churches concern about it. Lighten up! I wouldn't go either since I don't even like South Park!

• ourtime99 Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 2:18 p.m.

I wrote a long reply to Mayfair last night, but it didn't get posted. I ran into the 200 word limit, so maybe it was deemed too long.

In short, while my knowledge of this show is based on a blog entry and attendant comments, I would venture to say that yes, the show will probably be very offensive to Ugandans, people of African descent, or anyone who finds crude stereotypes offensive.

To clarify for others who may have been thrown off by the title, the show is not a satirical telling of the Book of Mormon itself. It does not feature stories or characters from the Book of Mormon. It is about 2 American missionaries sent to Uganda. My understanding is that the show is really about the "silliness and zeal" of the missionaries. They come into contact with native Africans who sing the most offensively awful thing about God you can imagine, and come to the conclusion that there is peace in living in a lie as long as you believe it strongly enough.

And after Prop 8, I can assure you that many in the Broadway community are stoked to see it.

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Why is it ok to say that the church is true, when in actuality you really don't KNOW that it is?
    Why is it not ok to even think that the church is false if you have an idea that it might be? Are members allowed to even question what they believe? I question what I believe all the time. There is no sin in questioning? Is there? Oh yeah, if you do ask yourself questions, that means you lack faith right? Keep the faith strong dont ask questions!

I believe the church responded in a correct manner by the way.

• FireHawk Aurora, CO
    Feb. 8, 2011 2:00 p.m.

@ Jiggle.

When did wards and stakes get discontinued, where, by who? Being an active member I guess I missed that Memorandum since I attended church Sunday when Wards and Stakes were still part of the excellent organization of the LDS church. I think some of the research you are reading came from an incorrect source. Not Surprising.

• AllSeeingEye Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Where is such a book? After all the years of naysayers proclaiming every vile, pernnicious, and derogatory thing about the Book of Mormon, why haven't they undertaken the simple task of exposing the fraud by replicating it, or something like it?

Could it be because of the futility sure to accompany such an effort? Remember, within a few years, the newly-written book needs to convince hundreds of spiritually sensitive and thoughtful men and women that it is indeed divine. It has to change the hearts of many doubters touch the souls of, eventually, millions of people in dozens of countries.

Oh, and the author, a person with little formal education, must dictate the book from scratch.

And, many influenced by it must make monumental changes in their lives--not just think the book is interesting.

I could go on, but you get the idea--where is such a book?

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 8, 2011 1:44 p.m.

This was the best response possible. Any direct criticism of the work will just give it more attraction and cause some people to go to it out of a solidarity against what would be construed as "censorship".

• Good Will Indio, CA
    Feb. 8, 2011 1:38 p.m.

South Park Episode 712 ("All About The Mormons") is hilarious satire. A devout Mormon would have to lack a funny bone not to see the delicious humor in it.

But is there really that big of an audience (of disaffected or thick-skinned Mormons) on Broadway to sustain this project? I'm surprised.

• boiseblue Eagle, ID
    Feb. 8, 2011 1:31 p.m.

NO ONE...not even Parker and Stone will stop the Lords work. Try as they may for what ever reasons it will go on. Just some MORE of Satan's puppets!

• Jiggle Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 1:13 p.m.

@Utes21 and coach Biff

I don't come to my assertions and rebuttals lightly. They include research from many sources including the LDS Church and other sources such as the Cumorah project. You believe what's in front of you. Your Church does not encourage you to read sources that don't support the Church. I read all sources. Accusations of hating the Church does this debate no good and are false. People just take challenging the status quo way too personal and resort to saying a person hates the Church instead of supporting their argument. I had an open mind concerning the LDS Church when I came here and I learned about it. My conclusions are based on many facts that many LDS simply ignore. Wards and stakes have also been discontinued, but that gets ignored. The erection of buildings doesn't prove membership.

From Cumorah: Because official LDS membership statistics have no obligatory relationship to member activity or participation, official membership data offer relatively little insight into the growth and strength of the Church.

Believe what you want, but there is data that disputes what you believe to be true. I and many others can't ignore it.

• EgbertThrockmorton Layton, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 1:09 p.m.

Arguing about religious beliefs is foolish. It's a waste of time and effort. People will choose to believe or not to believe a particular religion,or parts of it. It is never appropriate to "argue" about truth, as the truth never needs a defense. Only the week and feeble seem to need to argue about truth or what is, is.

• me2wired South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 1:04 p.m.

LOL at some of these comments. The defensiveness that shows through is quite astounding. The creators LIKE mormons you guys. If you've seen the south park episode it paints mormons in a very good light! I imagine their broadway production will as well. You don't have anything to fear or be defensive about. If you want a quote from Parker and Stone about mormonism:

Parker: I've been fascinated with the Mormons for a long time. They are the nicest people in the world. If a religion's going to take over the world, and the one that really believes "just be super nice to everyone" takes over, that's all right with me.

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 12:58 p.m.

A group of people with their pants in a twist for having their most sacred beliefs attacked in a play.

Of course never mind the majority of the group being attacked will continually attack our President, Gay's, other Religions, Mormons who don't attend Church and the list goes on! Oh the Irony!

And the play? Even though I am a huge South Park fan I wouldnt waist my time seeing it. It sounds stupid, looks stupid and will probably be shut down in a week.

For those of you highly offended by this act of jocularity you should:

A. Let it be a tool to reaffirm your faith

and you should:

B. Be more like our Father In Heaven and love your brother no matter what his beliefs are.

This is a non issue folks. Get over it!

• FireHawk Aurora, CO
    Feb. 8, 2011 12:33 p.m.

Very classy and correct response from the LDS church. When you are led by a true Prophet and Apostles you realize nothing else is possible.

Incidentally this is not the first try for Stone and Parker. They also tried a satirical movie about a Mormon Missionary which flopped horribly. Other than South Park I think their success in other realms has been extremely limited.

I have found some of their humor very funny on some instances but it becomes difficult and tediously low-brow too often.

I have had some good "missionary" discussions based off of a few South Park episodes and from "Big Love" followers. Just another way for me to be able to talk and answer questions about the LDS Church (which I know to be true) and an opportunity to highlight the good the LDS church does worldwide.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Stone and Parker remind me of clowns in class that comment on anything and everything. Occasionally they are funny, even poignant. However, like attention addicted children, they take it to far. Let them be. Most people understand that their humor, for the most part, is very low brow and aims for the lowest common denominator. And Jiggle, I'll believe you when I see the church quit building churches and splitting wards and stakes on a daily basis. Until then, I'll go by what I see. How's that for irony?

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Feb. 8, 2011 12:03 p.m.

@ Jiggle
    You also keep records of church attendance on every member of the LDS church throughout the world? How do you do that with your busy schedule hating the Church everyday. I mean 14 million was reported as a fact but you keep tabs on our converts so the Church will just come to you before stating true facts.
    No actually more people were far more curious about Jesus Christ, The Plan of Salvation, our Temple in Boston, Family History, Joseph Smith, The Book of Mormon, Missionary Work, Mormon Neighbors, BYU, Brigham Young, Mitt Romney, Danny Ainge, etc... Granted we were rejected at many doors but most of those people would say how they respected our Church and our beliefs but they werent interested or not religious. They didnt go off on a tangent of Church membership and how insignificant the church was.

• Mukkake Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:48 a.m.

South Park has frequently made fun of other targets, including Muslims. They made fun of Scientology only after Penn & Teller were told they could not on their own Showtime television series. Telling these guys, "You can't." is the quickest way to incite them. This is why the church has chosen to be prudent in its response.

In fact, the first South Park Episode that featured Joseph Smith was titled "Super Best Friends". This same episode also feature Lao Tze, Buddha, Krishna, Jesus, Moses, and Muhammad. As the episode first aired in early 2001, before 9/11 and the Danish Cartoon Controversy, the depiction of Muhammad was not censored.

However, when South Park decided in two later episodes, one was actually a two parter so it was three altogether, to comment on the ludicrousness of the media's fear of depicting Muhammad after the Danish incident, Comedy Central censored them in both cases.

While I can understand the reasons many of you do not watch South Park, or other movies produced by the same creators, I would encourage you to at least research the subject more thoroughly before you comment.

This post is purely informational. Please let it through.

• U of U Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:34 a.m.

By the way, the lack of historical evidence for how the BOM came to be isn't enough to convince anybody. That comes from a spiritual experience only. I don't expect historical information alone to convince anybody. Only God and His Holy Spirit can do that.

I don't mind mild satire against Mormon beliefs. Sometimes it is funny. However, maybe that satire isn't as deserved as people think. There are compelling reasons why Mormons believe.

• UtahToad Ogden, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:33 a.m.

And when they showed what was Mohammed in a bear costume, they were basically threatened to end up like a dead Dutch director. Turns out it was only Santa Claus.

Great response from the Church. Very Classy. Sounds like something Pres. Monson would have come up with himself!

• Jiggle Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:26 a.m.

Wow....assumptions abound with the LDS! It amazes me every time it happens. First of all...you are perpetuating the myth that the Church is growing. The Church counts inactive people as well as many others who don't practice or believe in the religion anymore. Most former members don't bother to remove themselves from Church rolls. Reliable sources say that convert retention is a problem. Based on actual activity rates....the count of 14 million is much lower.

Sure people are curious but not for the reasons you prefer or think! Out of the billions of people on earth your religion is wholely insignificant in the scheme of life to most people.

Oh...and by the way...I'm NOT a dude! As far as where I've lived....I came here from a different state, lived in more than one, as well as Europe. Polygamy is the main thing of curiosity! Of course, there are exceptions, but I bet there are more doors closed on Mormonism than opened. Facts are facts!

Now will DS News post my rebuttal. They seems to dislike people disputing the membership numbers! Thank you in advance!

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:23 a.m.

To charlie91342
    First of all, I would find great offense if a satire were made about the Catholic Priests, I have a great respect for the Catholic church and do not base my opinion by a few men in that church.

Second, you seem to like to tear apart other peoples comments, the snarky side of me would wonder if you are not capable of making your own comments, or afraid of having someone else tear them apart. But I won't say that ;) You question someone talking about miracles and how they use the word, I question that you assume that a miracle didn't happen? You came to a conclusion without getting the facts. I googled the word miracle, and bye some miracle, this was the very first definition that was listed. "any amazing or wonderful occurrence". Isn't that amazing, that the first thing I found, showed that there are different layers of a miracle. As for my sense of humor, I had to have a lot of that when I had a dying bed ridden husband at the age of 37, his was the best. But we were laughing at ourselves not at others.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:11 a.m.

@ charlie
    I am glad you can tell me what miracles are and how they occur. Are you the miracle man who gets to tell everyone what miracles are? Did Jesus give you the power to tell others they cant perform miracles unless it means healing crippled people or splitting the sea? I am pretty sure people back in day saw many miracles performed by Christ or prophets, and just said after that it wasnt a miracle. It was a trick or the devil gave him that power or a lucky coincidence . How many miracles did Christ perform right in front of the Pharisees and they still claimed him a fraud and ultimately crucified him?
    I saw things that may be normal to person like you but again being normal seems to be how you look at life. My mission was a testament to me that miracles are real and they do occur on a daily basis. I dont cast my pearls before swine. Keep hating the Church buddy and see how your life turns out.

• goitalone w bountiful, ut
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:07 a.m.

Interesting comments today.
    Class and dignity are hallmarks of a civilized and progressing society. Defamation of others, vile sophistry and persecution of what is of good report or praiseworthy - the harbinger of a society in decay. Make your own observations, but mud thrown is still and always will be ground lost.

• U of U Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:05 a.m.

"some guys got together and wrote it. just like the bible."

What guys? Where did their information come from? When? How? Why? And, where is the historical information that shows that "some guys wrote it"?

These questions may not be important to you, but they are to me.

"not rocket science..."

Humans figured out and published rocket science before they figured out where the BOM came from. Ironic isn't it?

• JJL Eugene, OR
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Re: fairenough4U

Your statement is internally inconsistent. You first state that you know "hundreds of non-Mormons that have had the same 'testimony-confirming' experiences about there religions..." but then you go on to ridicule and question the method. It appears then that those "hundreds" of non-Mormons that you know have the same issue with you as do believing LDS. Assuming you are Christian, what do you think James 1:5 means? Assuming you are not, how else can you possibly independantly verify the truth of a religous belief? As far as I know, the LDS Church is the only Christian religion that asks people to independantly verify the truth of what we preach - I am unaware of any other Christian demomination that encouranges independant verification from God.

• Bountiful Democrat Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:47 a.m.

For years I've wished that someone would create a musical for the broadway and/or global stage based on Book of Mormon stories. Mormon's are such fans of Les Miserables - because of the theme of forgiveness and starting a new - I wished I had the talent or resource to launch a non satirical show on Nephi and his family...So here is my call to those more talented than I - what are you waiting for? Same goes for the Movies - the Church has produced great movies recently - but Someone needs to tell the story of the Book of Mormon in "Laurence of Arabia" style and distribution.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:43 a.m.

@ Jiggle
    Right? Thats why hundreds of thousands people join the church every year because they arent curious. Thats why hundreds of people back east, invited me and my companions to teach them because they werent curious. Thats why the Church has grown to 14 million members worldwide because people arent curious. Thats why they made this stupid satire musical because people arent curious.
    Dude I think you havent lived outside of your house let alone Utah.

• charlie91342 Sylmar, CA
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:39 a.m.

re - Utes21 | 9:13 a.m
    "I served a mission back in Boston not to long ago and saw many miracles start from the strangest things."

see - here's one problem with your religion. you use words incorrectly.

tell us, Utes21 - what miracles did you witness? did a cripple get up and walk? was water turned to wine? did the sea part?

you didn't see miracles. you saw regular things and decided they were "special events" or something. and now you call them miracles.

Jesus would be greatly disturbed that you think a minor incident is the equivelant to a miracle as written in the bible.

"miracles" isn't a word you should just be throwing around.

"People were curious about poligamy and ended up letting us come back to teach them"

I'm guessing it was mostly middle-aged white men, and when you said you don't have multiple wives anymore, they were no longer interested...

re - U of U Fan | 10:15 a.m
    "If the book is not historical, I, for one would like to know where it came from."

some guys got together and wrote it. just like the bible. not rocket science...

• charlie91342 Sylmar, CA
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:30 a.m.

re - Counter Intelligence | 5:59 a.m
    "Traditionally songs are performed from Broadway musicals on the Today show, during the Macys parade and on the Tony Awards. Reviews indicate there are no songs in this show that can be performed on network television."

like I said - it will show on HBO after Big Love. here's a hint - just because something can't be shown on network TV doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. It's just means it's not for kids. If everything shown on TV was suitable for kids, television would be boring.

"Hope you can laugh at yourself too; or is it only funny when you make fun of others?"

I laugh at myself all the time. but I'm probably not funny to anyone else - my undergarments are just regular boxers, not special "protective" undergarments and I don't think I will rule a planet next to God.

listen, your religion begs for satire. to be mormon, you must accept that. you can believe as you wish - i believe in a free country and the 1st amendment. but that doesn't stop others from satirically portraying your religion. lighten up, dude.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:27 a.m.

I really like it when the Church runs into these type of things. I find that those who are really looking for truth start to ask questions and the Church ends up growing and getting stronger. It happened on my mission and it happened in every area that I have lived.

Thanks South Park people for helping us find those who are smart and thoughtful people who love truth!

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:25 a.m.

"Recognize that there must needs be opposition, that you cannot be totally faithful and popular with everybody. You can't be anything and be fully accepted by everybody! If you seriously expect to be the only generation ever born upon the earth in any dispensation to have the gospel without any challenge, without any opposition or resistance, without persecution from the world, you expect that which will never be.

"Do you expect to hold membership in the Church and the blessings thereof without paying a price for it? I ask you, is a scoffing, cynical remark, or a scornful glance, much of a price to pay for the whole gospel plan?"

Boyd K. Packer, to a BYU audience (in 1966!)

• U of U Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:15 a.m.

"I cannot understand how any educated adult could think the book is historical"

If the book is not historical, I, for one would like to know where it came from. Critics cannot seem to agree. Some say Joseph wrote it. Some critics say he did not. Some say he copied other sources. Some say he did not. The irony is, if the BOM is not what Mormons claim it to be, the historical sources of where the book came from, are missing. Critics claim the book is not historical. Alternative explanations for it are not historical neither.

• Jiggle Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:06 a.m.

@Stay the Course

A fair amount of confusion has surrounded the issue regarding the relationship between verbal irony and sarcasm. Sarcasm does not necessarily involve irony and irony has often no touch of sarcasm. Sarcasm means precisely what it says. However, your comment does point out how Mormons are so easily offended!

I would say you as well as others have never lived anywhere else but Utah. The curiosity about the Church stops at the front door!

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 9:58 a.m.

How silly that creators of a fad think their ugly and fleeting influence compares at all to the good lasting influence of Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon.

These guys actions are a satire on themselves. No one will care to remember South Park (or characters associated with it) in 200 years, but the LDS church and its witness of Jesus Christ has more than satisfied the 200 year test. Jesus isn't going away just because someone makes fun of Him or those who believe in Him.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 9:52 a.m.

In an age of sacrilege, this is just another example of filth taking the form of humor. Calling it a "satire" is really humorous!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 9:49 a.m.

People the world around will try to attack good things, yet they'll reap their reward.

• EgbertThrockmorton Layton, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 9:41 a.m.

In most cases, the best response is no response.Let the "work" of the creators of the show speak for itself. The truth,never needs a defense.

• Mukkake Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 9:23 a.m.

The Book of Mormon is in the public domain. Besides, satire nearly always falls under free use.

These guys aren't afraid of lawsuits, they know controversy breeds publicity. They've even challenged Tom Cruise and Scientology, both of which are very litigious.

The LDS church, or at least its lawyers and PR, knows this, which is why they are being very terse on the matter.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Feb. 8, 2011 9:13 a.m.

I remember there stupid movie they made about a LDS missionary. These same guys made a movie called baseketball which was one of the stupidest movies ever made. I honestly dont know how South Park is still on due its ratings? People like them focus on the huge topic at the present time in the news and among people and try to rip it apart. Thats why Big Love is so popular because of all the news and publicity with the FLDS church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is big news worldwide. People want to know more about us we are strange to them. This is a great thing because its our duty as members to inform them what we beleive in.
    My mother told me any bad publicity the Church gets is good news for our missionaries. She is a very smart woman. I served a mission back in Boston not to long ago and saw many miracles start from the strangest things. People were curious about poligamy and ended up letting us come back to teach them. One of our missionaries joined the church because he saw the south park episode.

• rightascension Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:47 a.m.

It's interesting that The Church comments on a comedy satire of the Book of Mormon, but so far as I can remember, it has never had anything to say officially about the implications of the homosexual LDS characters in the drama "Angels in America." Drama is one thing, I suppose; but funny is intolerable.

If it is a hit, and even if it is not, The Church really should take action against the producers. The Intellectual Reserve has a clear claim to the property. Are the producers paying the Church royalties?

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:54 a.m.

Just relax, for every one person that watches the play, 100 people will hear about "The Book of Mormon", and the church will gain just a little more mainstream acceptance.

• TA1 Alexandria, VA
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:25 a.m.

Just serves as a reminder that each of us may be the only Mormon anyone ever meets and therefore we should always set the best example possibile. Someday - in the future - an aspiring Broadway writer or producer, who has seen the example that was set, may choose to write or produce a show that is based on the positive example that hopefully, we set.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:07 a.m.

Dear Vanka, I find it one of the most interesting Books to read full of great meaning.

Read Moroni 10:3-5 and read it with that in mind. IF you try to read it any other way you will find it meaningless. That is the way it is with the Book of Mormon. IT is intended for the spiritualy seeking. Anyone else not seeking that deep spiritual value will find it rather mundane.

I find the Bible can also be boring if I do not read it with spiritual eyes.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Feb. 7, 2011 11:44 p.m.

Thanks again Counter Intelligence for a respectful observation showing simple respect and good taste.
    Once again, I find your comments on target and well
    You are a classy person.
    Sadly, Vanka finds everything LDS boring, yet she took the time to delineate everything in such detail.
    I'm sure she'll find the afore mentioned production of the Book of Mormon quite invigorating no doubt.

• Stay the Course Provo, Utah
    Feb. 7, 2011 11:17 p.m.

Jiggle do you see the irony in your post? You are actually describing yourself

• The Rabbit (in Spanish) Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 11:16 p.m.

Ever notice how when you buy a new car everyone seems to ALSO have that car? It is natural to begin to notice things you become aware of.

The Lord works in mysterious ways and can turn even being spit on and hanged on a tree a religious experience for billions of people.

Don't fret over people who make fun of Mormons. For every person laughing in derision, there is also someone who has their heart softened by the ignorance of the statement.

• Fairenough4U Draper, utah
    Feb. 7, 2011 10:44 p.m.

I'm not Mormon, but I have read the Book of Mormon several times. I cannot understand how any educated adult could think the book is historical. As for using subjective Moroni 7 promise to determine the historical or objective truth of the Book of Mormon, how can you all not see what a nonsensical proposition it is to even suggest that process is reliable or valid?

I know hundreds of non-Mormons who have had the same "testimony-confirming" experiences about their religions and scriptures, and yet their religious doctrines conflict with those of the Mormons. Would any adult be so irrational or gullible as to use such a silly method as that recommended by Mormon missionaries in any other important area of their lives in which they needed to know the objective truth of something? Of course not. What if a judge freed defendants based on a burning in her bosom? Or worse, found a defendant guilty based of a stupor of thought. If you were raised Mormon, I get why you would be confused, but for the rest of us, all this is all worthy of sacred satire.

• B Logan, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 10:00 p.m.

There is a Book of Mormon reader that has pictures in it and is broken into 'bite-sized' chunks. Maybe start there.

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 9:37 p.m.

Vanka, I have no idea what brought you to Provo, but you certainly would not be living here without the Book of Mormon. Religious issues aside, I dare say much of western US history would be different if it were not for the Book of Mormon- think about it before snarking back people

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 9:24 p.m.

Nothing new here, we have thick skin's and have been down this road many times and will continue to take all the cheap shots and back handed humor in stride.

Vanka your blog is boring.

• RivertonCoug Herriman, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 9:09 p.m.

Well Vanka:

I guess the millions of people who read the Book of Mormon don't find it boring in any sense of the word.

• Sutton Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 8:16 p.m.

If Mormons want to be brought in the public square to discuss their ideas and beliefs, they are going to have to deal with stuff like this... just like everybody else who brings their own ideas and beliefs, it comes with the territory.

Just because it is a religion doesnt give it, "automatic" respect.

• Vince here San Diego, CA
    Feb. 7, 2011 8:11 p.m.

To Vanka

I couldn't disagree with you more, Vanka.

On all counts ---

On other issues, attacking other people's beliefs using The Book of Mormon is uncouth and it is unthoughtful.

• B Logan, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 7:49 p.m.

My guess is that this will be largely forgotten in a few weeks. Remember President Hicnkley's story about the man who was furious about some falsehood written about him in the newspaper? The man's friend told him: "Half the people don't get the newspaper anyway. Of the half that do, only half even noticed the article. Of those people only half read it. Of those that read it, only half believed it and they are of no account anyway!"

The creators of South Park are fairly insignificant in the big picture. I don't know too many people who even watch the show and of those that do, I haven't been terribly impressed.

• Bigdude Twin Falls, ID
    Feb. 7, 2011 7:47 p.m.

As a BYU student and a Mormon, I couldn't care less about this. I know what I know. As the saying goes "Haters gonna hate."

• Jiggle Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 7:16 p.m.

The Church should not even bother to comment because most people outside Utah (except members) don't really care about what LDS Church has to say because....they never hear or read it. The only thing the Church has done is warn its own members mostly (and perhaps a few others) plus given the entertainment industry some free advertising. Most other people will decide for themselves. Go ahead and be offended if you want...we all can be offended...but remember perhaps others are offended by you as well. Some get offended because they see life as having a certain set of rules. They have a hard time tolerating that other people do not agree with them because they feel their "way" is being devalued if it isn't whole-heartedly embraced and become over-sensitive. Don't take yourselves so seriously...afterall you don't have to go to the show! You've been warned afterall!

• Florida Brad Saint Petersburg, FL
    Feb. 7, 2011 6:53 p.m.

Clearly the creators of South Park have some exposure to LDS doctorine and culture. How Funny !
    When you go out and tell the world that you are the TRUE Church, be prepared for disagreement. I personally will fly from Florida to NYC to Laugh by you know what off !. Get Over it Folks ! BTW, Brother Hinds, I remember you.

• Varnka Provo, Utah
    Feb. 7, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Vanka do you have strong opinions? It seems so

• Mayfair City, Ut
    Feb. 7, 2011 6:30 p.m.

I'd like to ask ourtime99 who knows something about this production if it is also critical of/and potentially offensive to the Ugandan people.

• Digbads South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 6:22 p.m.

I think the gospel needs to be brought forth to all the world, and there are some groups of the population that can only be taught by guys like these. The South Park "mormon" episode helped make my friend curious about the church, and he joined, then brought in his family.
    I think the oft quoted "I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right." applies to the promotion of religion as much as it does the promotion of individuals.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 6:20 p.m.

When Lawrence O'Donnell went on an emotional tirade against the Mormons, Joseph Smith et al....

He was interviewed later by Hugh Hewitt...

Hewitt asked:

"Why don't you go after Muslims the same way?"

O'Donnell answered:

"Because they will kill me..."

Hewitt responded:

"Yea the Mormons? They'll just bake you a Strudel"

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 6:10 p.m.

Vanka = Boring

"Brevity is the soul of Wit"

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 6:10 p.m.

and you are extremely boring

• Pianoman99 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:58 p.m.

um i think all of us members are relaxed. im laughing at why the south park creators even created the show-shows how insenstive and low they have to be to try and get "laughs". How is it not historically accurate? Based on several searches in south america, they have found many similar landmarks as described in the book of mormon. i dont like preaching my religion over the internet for various reasons but obviously youre not lds, that's cool we don't force our religion down anyone's throat as people think we do, but do realize google is not the answer to everything....and that im going off on blindfaith becuase i have read the book and i believe it to be historically accurate.

• charlie91342 Sylmar, CA
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:58 p.m.

re - MoJules | 4:52 p.m

"I believe that satire against any person or belief is out of line."

so do muslims. they kill cartoonists...

and most jokes make fun of someone. where's your sense of humor, MoJules?

"I do not agree with gay marriage, but single people are permitted to adopt. So how would we feel if a very rude play were to be about this kind of situation?"

well, the problem is the play would make fun of those against gay marriage. you know why? because gay people are the ones that write the plays and perform in the plays.

by the way - you haven't seen the play so you don't even know if it is "rude". for all you know, it makes fun of the mormon religion in a manner that you all probably do too. It's like with the catholics - any joke about priests and babysitting young boys is always good for a laugh. Jokes can be both funny and true, you know.

• ? Fort Knox, KY
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:52 p.m.

I don't care much for South Park, but maybe this will be a way to get some people to read the Book of Mormon.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:40 p.m.

The BOM deserves to be made fun of. It is really a joke.

As storytelling, it is extremely boring.

As literature, it is extremely boring.

As religious doctrine, it is extremely boring.

As history, it is extremely boring.

As inspirational writing, it is extremely boring.

And did I mention that it is boring?

• Fairenough4U Draper, utah
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:24 p.m.

Neither of the creators were ever Mormons.
    They grew up with a few Mormon friends in Colorado.
    Most of their satires have been based in accurate facts from LDS history.
    The same is true for their satires of similar organizations such as Scientology.
    I would guess the production will have some crude humor, but I doubt it will be based in lies.
    That the Book of Mormon is not historical is quickly and clearly established by anyone with access to a computer and Google, but most who join the LDS Church don't seriously look into the book's historicity, so you members can relax.

• Bebyebe UUU, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Your religion is strange to people outside of it. It begs caricature. That's just the way it is.

• rightascension Provo, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:22 p.m.

It is interesting that the Church has made a statement about the comedy satire "The Book of Mormon." I am hard pressed to remember any official statements the Church ever made over the years about the dramatic implications of the Mormon characters -- homosexual Mormon characters yet -- in "Angels in America."

The first casualty of orthodoxy always seems to be humor. Or a sense of it.

If "The Book of Mormon" becomes a big hit, the Church will probably have to deal with it more directly. Funny is always more intolerable than drama.

• charlie91342 Sylmar, CA
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:06 p.m.

re - Counter Intelligence | 4:33 p.m
    "I would hope that other religious groups would be concerned by the fact that not one single song in the production can be broadcast on network television because of the profanity"

it's not going on TV. maybe it will follow Big Love on HBO...

re - katamb-midvale | 4:45 p.m
    "Before I investigated the LDS Church at age 16, I went to Broadway and saw "Jesus Christ Superstar." Now, I wouldn't go see it today with all I've learned because I would find it offensive,

what did you find offensive about it? it's just Jesus singing and dancing. (you know he sang and danced in real life, right?)

come on, folks. you have to admit that mormonism is ripe for the picking on the comedy circuit. I mean between the special undergarments and the multiple planet scenario, you all must keep a sense of humor.

by the way, DRay | 3:41 p.m - I would love to have been there when the mailman sprayed mace on dogs that were simply barking. My dogs have a can of mace for unruly mailmen...

• Granny Saint George, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:05 p.m.

I hope all members of the LDS church can stay classy and provide positive examples to counter any negativity to come from this show. Truth is the most important thing.

I found the Broadway show "Nunsense" to be incredibly funny but worried that it may offend my Catholic friend. She said it was insanely funny to her, too, and reminded her of all the nutty things the nuns did at her parochial school.

There is certainly a difference between "funny" and "demeaning."

• Middle of the Road Home Town USA, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Do the writers of that tasteless satire realize they were put down or what?

The LDS statement shows so much dignity and class, that the satirist's probably think it was a compliment!!

It is a testament that we have inspired leaders who speak truth, with dignity even if (others') such attempts are to US drag us down. Never--

Carry on!! Carry on!! "Firm as the mountains around us, Stalwart and brave we stand, On the rock our Father's planted For us in this goodly land.

"The rock of honor and virtue, Of faith in the living God. They raised his banner triumphant Over the desert sod.

"O youth of a noble birthright, Carry on, Carry on!!"

And so it IS!!!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:59 p.m.

In the New Testament the Lord taught "don't cast your perls before swine lest they trample them under their feet and rend you again". The point is, there is no point in having a conversation about sacred things with un-holy, ignorant people because they value nothing. A more modern take on this is "never wrestle with a pig in the mud ... you only get dirty and the pig loves it anyway"..The LDS church is good to just let this go. Trying to reason with pigs is pretty useless.

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:52 p.m.

"On one occasion, a substitue on my mail route decided to stop and spray the barking dogs with mace, but found he only got some on himself, and the dogs all barked even louder the next day."

As opposed to what UPS and Fedex do which is leave treats for the dogs. All the dogs start panting and wagging for the UPS and Fedex trucks, but know to bark at the USPS. :-)

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:52 p.m.

The statement by the church was well said. I believe that satire against any person or belief is out of line. I do not agree with certain lifestyles, but I would cringe if someone came out and did an insulting satirical play about it. For example, an article about gay couples adopting, not sure how I feel about that, I do not agree with gay marriage, but single people are permitted to adopt. So how would we feel if a very rude play were to be about this kind of situation? If a fellow LDS member did that, I would be ashamed of them and would find more fault in their cruel attacks, then in something I don't agree with.

• katamb-midvale Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:45 p.m.

Before I investigated the LDS Church at age 16, I went to Broadway and saw "Jesus Christ Superstar." Now, I wouldn't go see it today with all I've learned because I would find it offensive, but at that time it piqued my interest to find out who He really is. Hopefully this will have the same effect.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:32 p.m.

If lies are told. Counter them with truth. If logical challenes are presented, think through the dilema, if a good counter is found share it.

It is possible to unfairly injure a persons character using gossip using slander, likewise a religion. It is also possible to spread light and truth where religions wont

May that which is right and true and merciful prevail.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:19 p.m.

If this was about the Koran, Muslim's would have bombed the theater and killed the writers by now...

• free thought Blissful, Az
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Shakespeare said all truth is spoken in jest.

• ourtime99 Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:11 p.m.

As a frequent reader of websites and blogs about Broadway shows, I have read an account of the first 25 minutes of this show. I hoped when I first heard about the creation of this show that it would be a chance to laugh at myself and the quirks of my culture, but this is not simply a satire about Mormons. It is an attempt to infuriate anyone who believes in any type of religion which seems silly to the show's creators. It is clear that Parker and Stone wanted to make the most patently offensive piece of material they could. There are sentiments in the lyrics that are not just offensive to members of the LDS church, but to anyone with a belief in God at all. Seriously, I can't even mentally repeat them.

For what it's worth, I applaud the LDS church for issuing such a simple, little statement that barely even acknowledges the show's existence. My church may be silly to Parker and Stone, but it's classy.

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:06 p.m.

I think the LDS Church is a model on how to deal effectively with others trying to portray the organization negatively...

The statement was short, to the point, and effective.

No need to drag these arguments out. Make your point, and move on.

Does it *really* "challenge" the message of the LDS Church ? Nope. If someone is swayed in their opinion of a powerful global organization by an idiot comedian's opinion, then they need to re-evaluate their values in life...

Sure, the comedy might be funny. I think the LDS Church has its quirks that are easy to make fun of... But sometimes the *easy* comedy is classless. It is easy for idiots who don't understand something to make fun of it...

Then, on the other hand, I think having a sense of humor about *yourself* and your own church is healthy.

It is healthy to laugh at yourself...

That is not to take away the seriousness of potentially sacred things, though. Serious things should be respected. And it shows a lack of class to poke fun at something considered to be sacred.

That is something our society is in need of: people with class.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:05 p.m.

It's a shame that anyone would try to tear down and denigrate the beliefs of anyone else.

It just goes to prove what I always say, "The world would be a much better place without PEOPLE in it."

• Reasonable Person Layton, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 3:58 p.m.

Come on folks, I know LOTS of LDS who think Monty Python's "Life of Brian" is great stuff.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 3:52 p.m.

The Chruch is right - don't make a big deal about it.

We think we [LDS] are exempt??

Tell me,
    NOBODY ever pokes fun of:
    Catholic Nuns,
    TV Evangelists,
    Baptists, etc.

You get freaky insulted by this,
    you are silly and no different than radical Islamic groups calling a fwatwah over cartoons.

• TexasAg Humble, TX
    Feb. 7, 2011 3:51 p.m.

Shaden, agree with you 100%. I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery? Who knows? I love the response of the Church to just conduct ourselves with dignity and thoughtfulness. Great response.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 3:41 p.m.

The dogs will bark, I found, as a mailman. One must be aware of them, be wary of them, yet find a way to block out the incessant barking, day after day, to focus on the task at hand. On one occasion, a substitue on my mail route decided to stop and spray the barking dogs with mace, but found he only got some on himself, and the dogs all barked even louder the next day. It is good in that the barking lets you know where they are, helps one account for and avoid their sharp teeth. This new "Satire" only reminds that "their must needs be an opposition in all things."

• Shaden Lincoln, NE
    Feb. 7, 2011 3:33 p.m.

Why are Parker and Stone so obsessed with the LDS Church/beliefs/Mormon culture? It seems like for at least a decade now they have been using it as fodder, ie, see their countless references to it in South Park episodes and critically-panned movies. What are they really trying to do? I've never quite understood their obsession.