Sports

Utah Jazz have fun in Williams return

Comments

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2011 1:53 a.m.

@ed
    I can't see what you people see in Fes. Nene beat him down the floor and got an easy lay up. If Fes wants minutes, that should NEVER happen.

When he does get minutes, he can't run with the team. He takes goofy shots and has bad hands. Watch closer (I wanted to be a Fes fan this year. Honest. I was impressed that he lost weight and worked hard, but he's still not that good!)

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Feb. 5, 2011 11:02 p.m.

Even as a Sloanaholic, I am confused that Fes does not play more. I just don't see what all the critics here see. He shuts down the paint, moves well, passes inside well, blocks out well, clearly frustrated Nene. Obviously, I am missing something. I like watching him play, although I have to admit that I am not that knowledgeable.

• Ak Fan Hamburg, GE
    Feb. 5, 2011 9:10 p.m.

MAtch up . That is tough thing. Jazz matched up with Denver pretty good and Nuggets as Huber said can't find ocean helped lot. With ball pushing Deron Jazz have a chance to win. But without AK hard to match up .

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Thanks writing back todd.

I feel like after a Jazz win fans are feeling like 10's and then after a loss they are 2's or 3's. I'm pretty much a constant 7 or 8 so I find everyone else annoying :)

At one point in this season I was a 9, these past few weeks I've been a six and a half. But I've always figured Raja would come around and atleast look like someone who could hit an open shot and I've figured Big Al would play better than the has the past few weeks.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 2:25 p.m.

One thing I've noticed is that Raja's defense has been superb the last 3 games or so.

Against the Warriors, Monta Ellis was held to his first game of the season without any points at the half.
    Against Charlotte, Wallace didn't have a great game either

And this game, he did good against Melo and JR...plus got 20 points

I used to be a Raja hater, but if he can play defense like this consistently, he'll be alright

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Feb. 5, 2011 2:19 p.m.

I rip on the Jazz when they do not play to theyre potential and Sloan makes mistakes in judgments JFFR.

I hope this is the start of something good, like all of us I hope so but the team showed added heart to overcome the refs and Denver and the like it reminded me of Nov/Dec.

That is why I am now hopeful

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 1:37 p.m.

I missed this one when i ask my friend who won he looked at his phone and said u wont believe this the jazz won great job boys.

• Unbelievable West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 5, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Denver always dishes out cheap shots whenever they play the Jazz. It really irks them when Utah beats them. It's been a great rivalry over the years; however, it always comes at a price whenever these teams are oppositite each other.

Denver Chumpets are thugery at its worst. Sloan would never put up with the cheap stuff with his own team and it didn't surprise me he wantyed a piece of Smith in the end.

NBA Offical, Gary Zielinski, did a fantastic job of preventing things from escalating

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 12:45 p.m.

What a great game. I heard Deron admit after the game that his attitude lately has been the worst of all. I'm glad he manned up to that, but he seems to be over it now. The break probably did him good; he started smiling watching them play from the bench when he was out.

They had fun last night and it showed. Great win guys! I'd love to know where the Raja haters are today. He gave us a huge lift last night. He's been in a funk like everyone else but he does a lot of intangible things for us when he's in. We missed the toughness when Harpring retired, and now we've got some of that back at least.

Let's get another win tonight!

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Gr8 win! D-Will is my favorite player in the league for a reason! Deron shows so much passion, grit, hustle and desire to win, what a baller! When D-Will got in the face of Smith after that hard foul on Bell, that showed me that this guy does care about this team, despite the stupid comments you read from bloggers saying that he is out of here on the first thing smokin', that is not the case, ALL Jazz fans need to realize what a special talent we have and embrace D-WIll as long as he is a Jazz-man, no more speculating on Deron Williams leaving Utah the first chance he gets, because you dont know and until you see a player flat out quit on his team, then you can talk about that player packing his bags, but until then, lets support this Jazz team 100% When there is a D-Will, there is a way!

For only having one shooting guard on this team, Bell held his own last night. I would love to see the Jazz bring in some help at the 2 guard though.

Keep working hard, GO JAZZ!

• Fuzzbrain Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Wow Jeremy Evans continues to impress!! The coaches need to play him 15-20 mins a game, every night. Unlike Fesenko I think Evans will benefit greatly from more playing time & the Jazz need to get out & run with a finisher like that. Not sure what got into Raja but I hope he continues to bring his A-game the rest of the season.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Feb. 5, 2011 12:07 p.m.

Until we can beat LA,SA and Dallas regularly, we are middle of the pack,love my Jazz,but also realistic,NBA title goes through Boston and LA,other than Williams we don`t match up with any of the top teams,Fes vs Shaq,Perkins,J O`Neil,Garnett and Big Baby? Yikes!

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Feb. 5, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Lost in all of the observations and comments: After Raja frustrated Smith into getting ejected, he went to work on Anthony. Anthony did not score one field goal when Raja was guarding him. We could see the look of frustration on his face, too. Even the smug smirk was gone.

As other have said here, D-Will and Watson on the court at the same time looked really good. Without the ball, D-Will really does do a great job of using the screens. He pushed the tempo last night and even played a lot of defense.

• btmjazz St George, Utah
    Feb. 5, 2011 11:36 a.m.

Problems do not start with D-Will period! Deron is the greatest thing to happen to Utah since Stockton! Deron is the complete package. There is absolutely no person in the league can guard Williams! As for the rest of the team Raja finally showed who is he! JR Smith is a thug and deserves to be suspended for a long time! What a piece of trash he is!

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    Feb. 5, 2011 10:57 a.m.

I agree with JFFR . . . . THAT was the Jefferson we thought we were getting last summer! A terrific performance! And the Bell! Now let's hope they both stay around for a while . . . .

As for Fes, it looked like he had his mind on the Super Bowl and thought he was playing football, the way he crashed around out there. He needs ballet lessons. Seriously. He could be so dominant if he had the proper techniques . . . .

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Feb. 5, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Just one game. Let's not go nuts. The Jazz have been playing just below .500 ball for quite a long time now and now that the smoke has cleared from the magical big east swing early in the year, we see a team that is capable, but not much more. Remember we lost to a tired Houston team on our own home court before going out to win last night and we still have yet to show opponents any reason to fear walking into esa. I really like this group of players and I love Deron Williams, but they have yet to gel and until Deron turns Big Al into the All-Star that he promises to be, we will be riding a roller coaster.
    Go Jazz!!

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 5, 2011 10:45 a.m.

These fellows are splendid ballplayers. Terrific!

• btmjazz St George, Utah
    Feb. 5, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Deron proved tonight why the Jazz need him so badly! Big Al shows again why the Jazz dont need Loozer! I mean does Loozer play defense like Big Al does? Again Jeremy Evans needs more PT. JR Smith needs to be fined and suspended for 5 games what a thug! Go Jazz D-will we missed you badly!

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Feb. 5, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Strange set of events! This is the maximum that the Jazz can play even without AK and Memo. Now, which team will show up at home against OKC. When D-Will is good, "he is very, very good". When he is bad, he is still pretty good. The problem is whether he can inspire the rest of the team like he did tonight. Could there be any linbk to getting ready to play in the all-star game and "shop his wares around". His first injured game on the bench was very telling with all his "bling" which included giant ear studs, a "sundial" Rolex, and a thousand dollar suit to say nothing of his shoes. He looked like the perfect "pimp" without his fur coat. Thank God somebody cleared this up before the next game when he looked like a teammate. When the game wasw on the line, he even "pumped his fist" about one inch. Come on. He's leavin' "on a jet plane". First stop all-star. Last stop Dallas.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 9:50 a.m.

@todd- do you really think this is a turning point? Everytime the Jazz have a good game are you going to believe in them and then when they have a bad game are you going to be their biggest critic and hater?

This team will continue to be up and down.

I only saw the 1st and 4th quarter, here's my thoughts

Big Al almost played like the big man we thought we were getting. If he can do this for 20 games in a row, I'll finally be happy with him.

Raja finally showed up. This is the Raja I thought we were getting, unfortunately this is the first time he has showed up. If the Jazz want to compete, we need 15ppg from him. Not gonna happen.

Earl Watson- any one still want Earl Watson to start? He's good but DWill is FANTASTIC

Fes- I saw him in the 1st quarter, he's still a big goof who Nene beat down the floor. If he wants more minutes, there is NO EXCUSE for getting beat down the floor.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    Feb. 5, 2011 9:40 a.m.

Effort, desire,fortitude, heart, intensity. Use any or all of the words above to describe the prescription for success, and that finally came through for this team last night! I totally accept winning or losing with this approach, but will be on the winning side more than the other if they play with that mindset every night. I agree 82 games is way too much but just think that if any of you were making $200,000 per game like 3 of our players are is that asking too much? Go get e'm every night Jazz.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Good win verses the Thuggets. Raja was good and was mature and cool when he needed to be cool.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Feb. 5, 2011 8:11 a.m.

Good anytime we beat the Nug puppies,Raja and Watson really helped out Go Jazz

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 8:10 a.m.

The biggest lesson to learn from this win is that the NBA season is twice as long as it should be.

It's absolutely irrational to think that even skilled and physically fit athletes at the beginning of a season can endure the ridiculous riggers of an 82-game season and not pay an absolutely irrational price in terms of their physical (and probably mental) health.

I for one am tired of hearing claims about how sports competition, when extended to the extreme as in an 82-game schedule, builds character in players and is therefore good for them.

If in manual labor jobs companies were to compel employees to put out the equivalent amount of grueling effort that professional sports requires of players, labor laws already existent would compel them to make drastic changes or go out of business.

• Archer Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 5, 2011 7:15 a.m.

Deron Williams is an amazing player! Go Jazz! All the way!

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Feb. 5, 2011 6:32 a.m.

speaking of giving credit where credit is due...lets give credit to Al Jefferson and Raja Bell...they had a monster game against denver..

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Feb. 5, 2011 6:29 a.m.

@CJ Miles....

if you have done your homework...you could be proud of your boy...CJ has scored 13 or more points in 6 of the last 7 games...shooting 41% in those 7 games...the Jazz...are 19-4 when he scores 13 or more points...this is how you prove your guy is doing something right...but...im still not sold...he is still...just a role player to me...im just giving credit where credit is due...i'd want aaron afflalo on a jazz uniform though...

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 5, 2011 2:37 a.m.

Watson and Dwill playing together seemed to work.

Not a bad game against a good team on their home court.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 1:29 a.m.

Yeah I liked this game a lot. I'm glad D-Will took some time off for the injury...gave a different perspective and they really need to go out and have fun.
    If they play like they did tonight, then they're a sure contender. It could even be better...but still a very good effort

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Feb. 5, 2011 12:22 a.m.

We may mark this date tonight as a turning point to the season and I sure hope so. Congrats to the team for showing character, fortitude, and fighting spirit, literally, last seen in November and December.

Fes and Hayward picked on brutally for phantom fouls. In Fes case maybe the last 2. DWIL going into JR Smith showed leadership. Watson had 8 points, 6 boards, 6 assists, 1 turnover. Evans 3-4 good job 8. Raja picked up slack as Paul had off night nailing 20 points and playing defense.

AJ AND DWIL what can you say. AJ hit critical shots in the 4th quarter to secure the lead. Dwil 26 and 12 big 3s in the first half and really challenged the Denver defense.

Lets hope this momentum carries into another tough game vs The Thunder tomorrow, a big game. At least we moved up to 6 seed

It was good Jerry got on the court, it was like a time capsule the days when it was really proud to be a Jazz fan. This team tonight overcame much to win this game, congratulations.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Feb. 5, 2011 12:15 a.m.

When the Jazz play with the intensity and energy they played with tonight they have a chance to beat anyone. Hopefully they realize that and can come out with that intensity tommorow night.

• nielsen American Fork, UT
    Feb. 4, 2011 11:55 p.m.

This is a game in which everybody on the jazz came to play tonight. Dwill, Al Jefferson, and Raja Bell espeically lit it up for the team. Keep up the good work jazz and let's continue winning games!