Utah

White House says Huntsman leaving ambassadorship

Comments

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 4, 2011 11:11 a.m.

Bill,

I know it may be asking too much, but can you please tell us what those scriptures I quoted mean if not what I have interpreted them to mean?

It is easy for simple-minded people to retort: "You took those out of context", but fail to give us the correct context.

So here is your chance. Tell us what it means.

Remember, the Taliban and Hezbollah did not originally "force" anyone to comply with their beliefs, either. Same for the National Socialist German Workers Party (Nazi) in Germany.

If you are a member of a group that wants to take over the world, you don't go around telling everyone you are trying to take over the world.

But you do keep the belief alive in your "holy scriptures". You accused me of not knowing what Mormonism is about. I showed otherwise by quoting directly from your sacred scriptures. You have failed repeatedly to support your weak comments.

This is because I am right about Mormons. I am not the only one who recognizes the imperialist doctrines of the Mormons. That subtle but core imperialism is exactly what will (must) keep a Mormon out of the Whitehouse.

• Moderate Thinking Bogota, Colombia, AA
    Feb. 3, 2011 3:08 p.m.

One comment regarding Huntsman's resignation. Many have suggested that he is a quitter for resigning, even going so far as to compare him to Sarah Palin.

First of all, here's a couple things to consider.

1) The position of Ambassador is not an elected position, it is an appointed position by the President, or assigned by the Secretary of State, in the case of senior career foreign service officers. There were no campaign promises made, no set lengths of term.

2) The "standard" term of service for most Ambassadors is 2-3 years. There are exceptions, but again, there are no set limits. Some Ambassadors serve for periods as short as one year.

3) Huntsman is giving at least three months of advanced warning to the President, rather than resigning effective immediately. Chances are, the White House has been aware of the possibility of his resignation for a few months now too.

Just a few points to consider. I am a foreign service officer working in an overseas embassy (in case anybody thinks I am pulling this out of thin air).

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 3, 2011 10:39 a.m.

ouisc,
    Huntsman served over one whole term as governor of Utah, he was re-elected to the position.

On the other hand the position of ambassador does not come with a given term. It is an at-will apointment, so attacking someone for resigning the position makes no sense.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Feb. 3, 2011 9:59 a.m.

I do have an appreciation for Huntsman, but in all honesty, I'd sure like to see him see one of his elected positions through.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Feb. 1, 2011 6:14 p.m.

To Vanka:

Yes you are mistaken. What you are doing is taking things out of context and placing them into something that just isn't true.

We are told that we are to warn the world that is true. However, it is not pushed down your throat. All you have to do is say no thank you and the missionaries leave. There are many who are being prepared to hear the TRUE GOSPEL. It is up to the membership to find them. Some will accept it and some won't. I still have a lot of friends that I have not asked because I knew they weren't ready. They still classify me as a friend and I them. Some have been neighbors for over 20 years so again a false accusation.

In the end every knee will bow and every mouth confess Jesus is the Christ. Every Christian denomination teaches this. Why single us out. Again a false accusation.

The Taliban and Hezbollah uses force to push their message. We DO NOT. Again a false accusation.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Bill,

Please read the following and tell me I am mistaken.

Mormons will not let anyone look past religion! They wear their religion on their sleeves. They consider it fundamental to who they are. Consequently, they refuse to separate their religious views from anything else.

Socially, to a Mormon, you are either a fellow member or a "non-member" (also known as a potential investigator). Trying to be friends with a Mormon is like trying to be friends with a MLM-er. They are always trying to get you to "join".

Politically, they believe they are supposed to prepare the world for the coming of Jesus, when their theocracy will rule for a thousand years, when "every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that [the Mormon] Jesus is the Christ" (Philippians 2:10-11; Mosiah 27:31; D&C 76:110; D&C 88:104).

They aspire to "put an end to all nations" (D&C87:6) that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent (in Missouri); that Christ will reign personally upon the earth.

Romney and Huntsman believe this stuff. It sounds like Taliban or Hezbollah to me.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Feb. 1, 2011 2:51 p.m.

To Vanka: LDS scriptures do not say the LDS are to rule the world. Where in the world did such nonsense as you are spewing come from. It shows how you have no knowledge of what a LDS is at all.

Do they have the ability to win? Many in this country are aware that Mitt was actually the best canidate to run because of the financial status of this country. It won't be much better in 2 years so Obama who many think is a shoe in isn't. To many he will be a one term president which I hope he is.

There are many who will vote for Romney or Huntsman because of their faith and their stance on abortion, same-sex marriage, and others that you feel are wrong. We are tied to Israel both financially and spiritually. I would rather have a person who tries to live their religion than one like a Clinton or Obama.

• paperboy111 Lindon, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Is it just me, or do Republicans who are elected or appointed to office have a difficult time serving out their term of office or appointment? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're quitters per se (except maybe Palin...)

• cval Hyde Park, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 10:01 a.m.

His campaign motto needs to be.... "Do you want a candidate who can win the nomination, or one who can win the election?"

As has been stated, there are those in the Republican party who will not want him to be the nominee, but he is actually the kind of centrist candidate who could win the election.

I hope the presence of more than one Mormon will make them seem less of a threat, and the memory of how soundly McCain was defeated will show that a staunch conservative cannot win in November.

The tide of public opinion is fickle, and can sometimes surprise. I could see a centrist Republican like Huntsman catching a wave, and I think the anti-Mormon rhetoric was used last election, and will be less of an issue next time around.

I may be wrong, but I think he has some strength, without the history of flip flopping that haunted Romney last time.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I think it would be very embarrassing for Jon Huntsman to run for President with his Father endorsing Mitt Romney if he does what he has done in the past. I think Jon Huntsman is delusional and self-serving to think he would have any serious chance of winning the nomination. He may have the money but he does not have the backing of party leaders like Mitt has.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Alright, let's be realistic.

You know Mitt is making a run for President in 2012. His religion is a major hurdle because people worry it will influence his stance on many controversial issues (same-sex marriage, abortion, tax-exempt status of Churches, separation of Church and State, support of Israel, to name a few).

These concerns boil down to one thing: people do not trust the Mormon religion in such positions of power because they fear it will be one step closer to the Taliban - a theocracy. LDS scriptures do support the ambitions of LDS to take over the world, put all nations/governments under their feet, and rule a thousand years in the name of Jesus.

So Huntsman faces the same obstacle. If he runs in 2012, then the fact that TWO wealthy, prominent Mormons are running for POTUS only confirms fears that LDS are trying to take over the government and the world.

His running in 2016 after Romney runs in 2012 does nothing to diffuse this perception, regardless how Romney's bid turns out.

Both Huntsman and Romney running for President only confirm's people's worst fears about Mormons.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    Feb. 1, 2011 6:46 a.m.

Many interesting comments. Not much for accuracy. Let me lead with my chin on this one: Romney cannot win. He can't get through the primaries, and he cannot win the general. Huntsman, same type of fellow, cannot win the primaries, and he cannot win the general. So what are they doing? Oh, I don't know. Egos are egos. Huntsman would make a fine senator from Utah or Idaho. Romney would make a fine ceo of any company that was cold and ruthless.
    By the way, despite tons of print and hours an dhours of broadcasting, the outside world, the world outside Utah, does not consider Mormonism to be just another brand of Christianity. They do not. They just don't.

• bobosmom Norfolk, Nebraska
    Jan. 31, 2011 11:35 p.m.

I think huntsman is good at being an ambassador and a lot of cabinet appointees jump ship about half way through. Huntsman needs to get some experience in the Senate or something besides being the governor. I would like to see someone with some good fiscal experience. I'm not a Palin supporter but hope we can find some one that can help this country get back on the track. I don't think Jon Jr. Or mitt has a chance due to their religious beliefs because I don't think the majority of the us probably wont vote for someone that is LDS.___

• isrred Logan, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:59 p.m.

"Huntsman is a bit too liberal fot Utah but might make a fit for President."

Yeah he's so liberal that he won reelection with 77% of the vote STATEWIDE. So tell me, if all of you folks blathering about Huntsman being a "RINO" and not a "true" conservative, why did you vote for him? This just proves to me that you vote for the party and not the candidate--if you truly voted for the candidate instead of blindly voting for the Republican party you would have voted third party or written in another candidate.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:45 p.m.

In Utah, not overly religious could just mean hes not a Zoobie.

• Penguin Inc. Western Hemisphere, Earth
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:01 p.m.

He's gonna win! He's a terrific leader! Go Huntsman! It's time to "HUNT" the presidency!

• Moderate Thinking Bogota, Colombia, AA
    Jan. 31, 2011 8:21 p.m.

I can't think of many others I would be more willing to support in a bid for President.

Here's a thought (or perhaps a dream?). I would love to see Huntsman run as an Independent. It's a real possibility if he starts early enough. He's a big enough name to be considered a "viable candidate," even without political party backing. And unlike the Perots and Naders of the past, he will represent the true Centrist platform, not falling further to the left of right of either of the primary parties.

Political observers have long recognized that in order to win a national election, it doesn't matter how well you appeal to "conservatives" or "liberals." What truly matters is who can best convince the rest of us, the vast plurality (and perhaps even majority) of Americans whose viewpoints are somewhere in-between.

I also wish he would do this to help break the shell on executive office being exclusive to partisans. I believe that all executive political posts should be open to all who desire to run without having to wade through the unnecessary and encumbering mud of primary elections.

Here's hoping.

• Jmado Vista, ca
    Jan. 31, 2011 6:28 p.m.

Let these men present their platform, and then we will decide. To speculate is irresponsible because we have so few facts. Romney and Huntsman seem to have admirable values and I am looking forward to this playing out.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 6:25 p.m.

Huntsman is a McCain Rino.....The worst kind of republican and will not beat anyone including Sarah Palin Or Barry Soerteo

• Gentile brookings, SD
    Jan. 31, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Outsider's view. Huntsman is very qualified for higher office at the federal level. But he will never get elected. Frankly, I am disappointed in his willingness to vacate the post in China at this time in our history. He has unique qualifications for the job and could have helped steer America's course through some very dangerous waters in China. The Chinese are probably thrilled to get rid of him, which means a bad deal for us.

Instead, he bails out to run against his boss. Not a good touch. No. I cannot vote for him, or support him.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 5:46 p.m.

We have an amazing number of assumptions made in this thread with no support in fact. A lot of people seem convinced that Huntsman is resigning to run for president. He and his family have spent two years in China. Maybe he wants to bring them back home. Or maybe he does want to run for the Senate.

The worst though are those who say he is not a worthy member of his church simply because he allegedly described himself as being "not overly religious." Do we even know what he meant by that?

In a multi-cultural society (which is the current state of American society), a person that pushes one form of Christianity to the detriment of other forms (e.g., Mormonism over Catholicism, evangelical or main-line Protestantism), to say nothing of non-Christian beliefs (there are a lot of Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and others in this country) is asking for trouble. But an overly-religious person would be tempted to do just that. I think in that light, Gordon B. Hinckley was NOT overly religious.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 5:46 p.m.

I wish we had Governor Huntsman back in charge of Utah! He has good sense and realizes that there are two sides to every story. Whatever happened to moderation in all things?

Joseph F. Smith: The saints should not be unwise, but rather understand what the will of the Lord is, and practice moderation in all things.

Extremism is not a good thing. The GOP is being dominated by some extremists right now. It's time to take back the GOP!

• American Spartan Taylorsville, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Jon Huntsman is a Republican in Name Only (RINO). No thanks. The word "moderate" always mean liberal, and I reject anything remotely liberal.

I'm a staunch conservative (right-wing "extremist"), and it is unfortunate so many "staunch" conservative voters voted for Huntsman in 2008 re-election assumed just because he is a Republican means he shares their values.

I will vote for Ron Paul over Huntsman or Romney in Republican presidential candidacy primary, as I did in 2008. Paul, while not perfect, is a real conservative who abides strictly by the U.S. Constitution. Google "My Plan for a Freedom President" to read what Paul intends to do when he assumes Presidency. I have faith in him to take back America by reducing government size and repealing bad laws.

• Goet Ogden, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 5:22 p.m.

Yes, because all we need to fix this nation is another RINO.

Please, just stay in China.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 31, 2011 5:12 p.m.

Man, I really hope what we see here is the wing fringes and not what the average middle of the road American feels.

And honestly I think he should wear the badge "RINO" proudly. Anyone who is anything more than what there party is more than in just name only has sold themselves out and abdicated their thinking to someone else. No one should have a political party tell them what to think, nor vote, all in the name of political purity.

So if Huntsman really is a RINO, well then more power to him. At least it shows he thinks.

I still don't think he is electable because it is the party purist that control the primaries. He will never get passed them. He is way too balanced.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 5:11 p.m.

No, we don't need Huntsman running for president. He'll only muddy the water, because he'll probably run as a Republican (?), but he's not really one. We need a TRUE Republican, with solid conservative principles. Huntsman is a politician of convenience, not principle.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    Jan. 31, 2011 5:08 p.m.

One more term for Hatch, who is a true conservative. Romney? No way he's a waffler.

Huntsman is a bit too liberal fot Utah but might make a fit for President.

The byword should be who can beat Obama.

• justcap Provo, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 5:06 p.m.

I just want to repeat (and edit) the comment by williary, 9:18 a.m. from Kearns, UT:

Come back, defeat Hatch for the Senate seat, than make your Presidential run in 2016.

• CJ Murray, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Biggest RINO in the country next to Amnesty Bob Bennett. He has no chance of winning the nomination. He is wrong on immigration, wrong on most conservative issues and he is a part of the Obama administration. Need I say more? Republicans would be crazy to nominate him, he is nothing but "hope and change" lite dressed up like a Republican.

• Love_The_Beehive Orem, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Other than a huge ego and a bunch of daddy-dollars, can anyone tell me what qualifies this punk to be the President of the United States?

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Here are 10 reasons why Huntsman will win any election in the state of Utah.
    1. Nice hair
    2. Nice teeth
    3. He's nice and polite
    4. He's Mormon
    5. Did I mention the nice teeth?
    6. He's wealthy
    7. He "looks presidential"
    8. His last name is not Hatch
    9. Voters in Utah have a 36 year track record of voting for candidates that end up dangerous to the freedom and prosperity of Utah
    10. He's Republican

Utah voters, you disgust me.

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 4:51 p.m.

Re: Independent:

I would take a gargle of squirrels and a drunken Hobo over Palin.

Neither Romney nor Huntsman stands a chance in 2012. As everybody has stated previously, Huntsman needs to serve a term or two as a senator and then throw his hat in the ring, maybe 2016 but more realistically 2020.

Being the fire breathing liberal I am it's weird for me to say this but I think Huntsman would do a good job as President. Romney on the other hand.. Ahhhhh no thanks!

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Ambassador appointments usually go to the highest bidder-----I wonder how much money Huntsman Sr. paid the DNC on Jr.'s behalf.

• barbara Carlsbad, CA
    Jan. 31, 2011 4:37 p.m.

History tells us that two relatively unknowns from Illinois wre elected President; the much maligned Abraham Lincoln and now the equally maligned Barack Obama. While I doubt that history will applaud Obama as much as it had Lincoln, both wll be remembered in several lights. Jon Huntsman, Jr. Is no dummy. Stop predicting scenarios, folks. But, really, please do retire, Mr. Hatch.

• Wildcat Ogden, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 4:16 p.m.

As a liberal/progressive, I really like Huntsman. I don't agree with all his policies, but he shows diplomacy, and he doesn't get into the gutters like most the GOP/Tea Party candidates. He's a Republican I could actually vote for. Hopefully, there will be a day when a Teddy Roosevelt type Republican returns to the GOP, but the GOP has become a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Corporations/Lobbyists.

Since he doesn't pass the purity test, he will never win the GOP nomination (that and his religion is an issue with the South). I like Huntsman better than Romney because he doesn't wait which way the wind is blowing before he puts up the sails. I don't think he will sell his soul to the corporations and far right think tanks like Romney, but I guess we will see.

Here's hoping Huntsman runs as an independent for Hatch's seat (he would never survive the GOP caucus). Civility needs to return to politics!

The last thing we need is another Chaffetz or Lee. For money, I can be angrier and more incoherent than those two. Elect me--I need the money!

• Capt. Smash Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 4:10 p.m.

The Tea Party will never allow Huntsman to get off the ground. He is waisting his time; stay in China and wait until the Tea Baggers fade away.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 3:46 p.m.

He has been a good ambassador.

He was a mediocre governor and dead wrong on immigration and global warming. The Legislature kept the state running well despite Huntsman, not following him.

Another RINO with good hair and a fat wallet, but not a conservative. We can do much better than that!

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 3:40 p.m.

What will Huckabee do with two Mormons? Whose candidacy will he attack this time lol

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 31, 2011 3:34 p.m.

Are Huntsman running for president and for Senate mutually exclusive? If he does not do well in the first five states, he can focus on the senate and still have time until the causcus meetings.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 31, 2011 3:32 p.m.

I have to conter the claim "The southern Evangelicals will never vote for a Mormon". It is a claim that is clearly false. In 2004 the Republican voters of Oklahoma, a group that is donimated by "Southern Evangelicals" nomiated Mormon Ernest Istook as their candidate for governor.

Southern Evangelicals can and do vote for Mormons. Whether either Romney or Huntsman can get southern Evangelicals to vote for them has a lot more to do with their policies than their religion.

Due to clearly being consistent on issues and not having baggage like having pushed through health-care reform, Huntsman has a much better chance of winning than Romney. Still, his moves towards supporting domestic partnerships give pro-marriage people like me pause. True Huntsman has in general been a consistent voice for preserving man/woman marriage, unlike Senator Reid who says he supports it and then rips on those who make their actions fit his words, but still Huntsman makes us paus and wonder.

I will withhold judgement until I get clear declarations from Huntsman on his views on immigration and man/woman marriage. We need someone willing to have the Jus. Dep. defend DOMA.

• nick Provo, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 2:50 p.m.

I don't think Huntsman is talented enough to run an effective presidential campaign. He is a mediocre intellect and a moderate/liberal in a party that is trending even more conservative. He reminds me of Charlie Crist. Conservative, orthodox Mormons worked hard for Romney. I don't see a great groundswell of support from liberal, active Mormons for a man who says he is not particularly religious. Finally, there are very few active, liberal Mormons and fewer still in the Republican Party. My first reaction to this article was to LOL.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Jan. 31, 2011 2:50 p.m.

"It is curiously amusing that the people who never really have to worry about the mormon question are the Democratic mormons like Harry Reid."

I wouldn't go that far. While not to the extent as Republican Mormons, Democrat Mormons most definately do have to worry about the mormon question. The data you posted prove this.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Jan. 31, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Here is one active LDS guy who is glad Jon Huntsman is not "overly religious." Most of the "overly religious" types wind up leaving the church because they think they know better than everybody else. I'm happy that Huntsman isn't in the same catergory as polygamous cult leaders and Brian David Mitchell.

• Forgotten Man Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Would that be on the Republican or Democrat ticket?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 1:56 p.m.

"Sad but true the GOP will never tolerate a Mormon at the head of the Party. If you think your tent is big enough for a Mormon Presidential candidate you are sadly mistaken. "

Gallup poll Feb 2007
    willing to vote for a mormon?
    liberals: 75%
    moderates: 77%
    conservatives: 66%

Given that 8% of Mormons self-describe as liberal (different poll came up with that) it's interesting that liberals are more willing to potentially vote for a Mormon.

Oh and as for this costing Romney the primary, I'm not so sure about that...

willingness to vote for a 72 year old (like mccain)
    liberal: 59%
    moderate: 52%
    conservative: 63% (this was the one category where conservatives were more willing to vote for than liberals).

But hey it could be worse...
    willingness to vote for an atheist
    liberal: 67%
    moderate: 48%
    conservative: 29%

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Heh, the guy won reelection with 77% of the vote and he's a RINO? Funny what a couple years will do to change people's image. Huntsman is one of the best leaders this nation has. Of course, he'll get destroyed in the Republican primary, succeeding at nothing other than wrecking Romney's chances by taking away business leader support, moderates, and potentially swinging several blue state primaries (even if not to him then to someone else). I'd rather see Huntsman replace Hatch.

• aljmac Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 1:22 p.m.

@BrentBot

If Huntsman DOESN'T want to build a wall across Mexico and DOESN'T want to simply ship every illegal home w/o abandon, then I like him even more. And yes, I'm a registered Republican.

These ExtremeCons and Tea Party-ers who have hijacked the GOP have me pretty fed up. This "RINO" accusation garbage has to stop if we want any chance of us winning the white house again.

That's not to say we can't have a very conservative candidate, but we all have to be realistic about the upside and downside of ALL our candidates. Being an ideologue will get this party NOWHERE.

• ObamaRepublican Chandler, AZ
    Jan. 31, 2011 1:21 p.m.

The GOP will continue to toss Utah and Mormon politicians scraps from the table of the Defense Budget to keep you voting in ling but if you raise your head from the gopher hole be ready to be hitt with a shovel!

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 1:17 p.m.

@jjjhs said, "This was not an accident, it is what the Lord intended."

Really? You are claiming to know what the Lord intended for Huntsman?

The about as presumptuous of a statement as I've ever read.

I think you have a lot to learn about revelation and how it works....

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 1:15 p.m.

I admire him and I believe by 2016 or 2020 he WILL be president; however, his resume of having worked for presidents Reagan thru Obama (5 presidents) although impressive, also should show he can't keep a job for more than 3 to 5 months (average time with each appointment.)

• Considering Stockton, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Just what we don't need, another RINO.

Huntsman, like Leavitt and Romney, is very liberal both socially and fiscally. All three are much closer to the mainstream of the Democrats than they are to the mainstream of the GOP.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Jan. 31, 2011 12:25 p.m.

I echo willary but I'm not a Utah resident. I'm only looking at the Presidential picture and he may not be OB1 but he is our only hope. Finally someone I can support without reservations.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Jon Huntsman, Jr. is a RINO in a couple of areas: immigration and global warmiing. If he moderates his position in these areas he could be a formidable candidate.

He simply has to say well build the wall first, enforce the guest worker program, stop anchor babies, and require workers to return to their home country and apply for citizenship like everyone else. And he should say it is now clear that Cap and Trade is simply an income re-distribution scheme. It will hurt the U.S., and I dont support it.

I dont see both he and Mitt Romney running for president, however.

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    Jan. 31, 2011 12:20 p.m.

Yikes! The republican party has swung so far to the right that they don't have any room for reasonable conservatives like Huntsman. One of my friends, Moderate Mike, confessed to me that Huntsman is the only republican that he has ever voted for.
    If he ran, Huntsman, would be a very appealing candidate for the presidency, but between the Christian Right, and the tea partiers, there is no way he can get the nomination. His campaign may even act as a "spoiler" to prevent Romney from getting any traction. Whatever happens is going to be verrry fun to watch.

• SSMD Silver Spring, MD
    Jan. 31, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Darrel,
    I hope Huntsman is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. His statement is an indication that he might be unwilling of being convicted as a Christian.
    Any Mormon keeping temple covenants, striving trying to keep the commandments, and trying to love others as the Savior would etc., is religious by any standard and "overly religious" compared to most people in the world.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 11:48 a.m.

At this point, Huntsman is the ONLY Republican being mentioned for President in 2012 who is in any worthy or qualified for the job. If he runs, I will support him and vote for him. He's what the country really needs.

• Darrel Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 11:32 a.m.

@ SSMD

I can keep all my temple covenants and not be "over religious". I can attend church weekly, keep my covenants and still maintain balance in my life for all of the other things I must do.

Some of the worst atrocities were done in the name of religion. Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades and much of what is going on right now in the Middle East are done in the name of religion.

The Word of Wisdom teaches us "moderation in all things" and that applies to more than what we choose to ingest.

In this case I think not being "overly religious" is a good thing.

• RAM2010 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 11:18 a.m.

So what does Huntsman do if he loses the presidency and doesn't have a job?

• jaxon Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Mitt Romney biggest passion is to be President.He will not be very happy if Huntsman jumps in the race.The same type of supporters would hurt both of them.Try in 2016.

• MJF Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 11:02 a.m.

You know, I'd really much rather see Mike Leavitt run. He's much more likable and just as qualified. However, I really don't think either one of them would have much of a chance--at least not at this time.

I still think Mitt is the best shot for any LDS member to get elected.

• SSMD Silver Spring, MD
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:56 a.m.

JJJHS wrote: "Anyone judging Huntsman's devotion to the church will have to answer themselves to a higher power. It is NOT your place to judge another Mormon's standing before the Holy One of Israel."

Voting is an act requiring judgment. Assessing a candidate's character and integrity is a part of selecting who to vote for. Waiting till the politician is before the final judgment is not practical. We have to make the decision on election day. The extent to which a man lives his religion speaks to character and is a valid criterion upon which to base one's assessment of a candidate.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:45 a.m.

BTW, ANyone Mormon reading this. I have it on good authority that Huntsman focus on his own and the quality of family life of his State Department employees has made a positive impression on Chinese Leaders. No, he is not working on behalf of the LDS Church actively, but his perception of being LDS may yet HELPING OPEN CHINA TO THE LDS CHURCH. So many so of you self righteous fellow Mormons need to chill out and stop judging him. The Lord opened up this opportunity for him to be the Ambassador to China being nominated by a Democratic president even if he is as devout as you critically judge him to be or not. This was not an accident, it is what the Lord intended.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Dear KJB1: One should never say never.

In 2008 that was the case that evangelicals didn't support Mitt. Now, things have shifted somewhat. Besides, evangelicals don't actually run the Republican Party. Also, Romney has grown greatly in stature among evangelicals. It's true, Huckabee was mighty nasty toward Mitt last time, but this is a new election cycle. Everyone in the nation understands what a mess we are in financially and many will be willing to give Mitt a chance because he is so much more qualified than anyone else to handle economic issues.

NEVER SAY NEVER!

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:35 a.m.

By the way, WHERE were you "FISCAL CONSERVATIVES" True Republicans during the 8 years Bush was spending TRILLIONS on 2 wars without any focus and feeding billions to his contractor cronies?

Yet you have problems with Huntsman who ran Utah pretty well under his watch? You ideological conservatives need to put a rest to your look the other way until someone you disagree with spend money on something you don't want then care about deficits all of a sudden. get real.

Huntsman is a forward thinker, he put more money into education. Something that is quite apparent in it's low funding that it produces so much ignorance.

If he is a devout practicing Mormon or not, I don't care but the fact is, he is considered a Mormon to Voters. Anyone judging Huntsman's devotion to the church will have to answer themselves to a higher power. It is NOT your place to judge another Mormon's standing before the Holy One of Israel.

• newslover Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Jon... Hatch first... then run for President. Earn your chops first... Obama has it clinched for 2012.

• SSMD Silver Spring, MD
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Huntsman was quoted in a 31 July 2010 DN article (quoting from Fortune magazine)where he said, "I can't say I'm overly religious." While many voters might not care about that one way or another, it might raise alarm bells for active LDS and diminish enthusiasm for him among many active LDS voters. Active LDS put a high premium on valiance and living up to covenants.

• Geneina Bountiful, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Normally a "political appointee" ambassador only serves two years given the need for the President to pass the Ambassadorship around to those who helped fund his campaign.

The fact that Huntsman is leaving is, therefore, not all that surprising.

• jaxon Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Run in 2016 or for the Senate.I'm voting for Obama in 2012 and would vote for Huntsman in 2016.Obama will lose again big in Utah but will win the election in 2012.It still will hard for a Mormon from Utah to win the election especially if Mike Lee makes alot of bad noise.Remember coffee and Tea Party is bad for you.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I love Huntsman . . . in China. The best thing he did for Utah was leave.

• silas brill Heber, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:18 a.m.

The "big tent" in the Republican Party has been replaced by measures and litmus tests of so-called conservatism. You call people RINOs and other names. The prominent voices in the GOP are petty, petulant, and lacking intellect.

If Jon Huntsman runs as president or VP, it would be exciting if he could actually lead the party out of its darkness. But as others here have stated, the Tea Party, the wingnut delegates, and the evangelicals will all conspire against him.

The odds are seriously against him, but he should run no matter what. At the very least, his voice will not be petty, petulant, and lacking intellect.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:12 a.m.

There are going to be some good people to pick from this time, my hopes is to see Donald Trump run. But I do think it is funny that Huntsman is going to run, I think Obama knew he could be a threat and wanted to divert him from the 2012 run for president.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:08 a.m.

---Danish American | 9:39 a.m. Jan. 31, 2011
    Payson, UT
    We need Huntsman to stay in China where he can't do us any harm. When you look up RINO in the dictionary---

Spoken like someone who doesn't even know the work he has been putting into US China relations. Huntsman works on behalf of ALL AMERICANS, even you. He has made more progress in cultivating a working relationship than 8 years of the previous ambassador Randt whose only qualification is that he was Bush's college roomate.

---Pagan | 9:41 a.m. Jan. 31, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Personally, I don't care a whit about you religion, until you claim that the 'devine' (in whatever form or name) dictates you ignore the will of the people.---

Pagan, you may not care but many people do and the primary results from the South show it. Why do you think Romney had to give his Religions Speech like Kennedy did? Because IT MATTERS, it matters to many people unfortunately.

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    Jan. 31, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Interesting development.

It will be interesting to see how the Republican primaries play out.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:56 a.m.

I can appreciate that some people don't think Huntsman is conservative enough, so they call him a RINO, but instead of calling him names, I'd like to hear something substantive as to why they don't like him.

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:53 a.m.

I don't think Huntsman's going for the Presidency. He knows he doesn't have a chance of winning that, unless his intention is to run knowing that he'll lose, and merely build name recognition. But that scenario seems unlikely. I think he's shooting for the Senate. I think Hatch is out, no matter how many "tweets" he sends and how "hip" he tries to make himself appear. I think the senate's going to get another shake-up and Huntsman's poised to slip in and take that spot. He's got a better shot than Chaffetz, but regardless, I think Hatch is out like Bennett.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:50 a.m.

I'm wondering how both he and Romney can fit into the Republican future, it seems awfully crowded...

• We the People Sandy, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:48 a.m.

Please stay in China.

• Edmond Dantes West Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:47 a.m.

If an inexperienced Senator from Illinois can become President of the United States, why can't a former Governor/US Ambassador to China? Ambassador Huntsman has as good a chance as anyone to pull it off.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Wow.

Everyone thinks I am a Republican 'hater' and yet...

I like Huntsman.

Just more examples that the Republican party is SO devisive and SO destructive that it is tearing itself apart.

My example to support this?

'The Southern evangelicals will never vote for a Mormon (especially if Huckabee is running) and the hardcore conservative/Tea Partiers...' - 'KJB1 | 9:31 a.m. Jan. 31, 2011

If I claimed to hear voices, they'ed put me away.

• Danish American Payson, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:39 a.m.

We need Huntsman to stay in China where he can't do us any harm. When you look up RINO in the dictionary, it's his picture you see. He was more interested in changing light bulbs in state offices than anything else.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:36 a.m.

I'd take John Huntsman over Sarah Palin any day.

• randy13 Mapleton, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:31 a.m.

i think huntsman is jumping into the wrong fire .. he needs to make a name for himself first .. he needs to be a senator for a term or two and then try the president's seat .. huntsman at best will displace romney and neither will get anywhere in DC march to president .. romney won NH straw poll 51% huntsman didnt even place .. romney has paid his dues and just might get a real crack at the presidental election .. huntsman with his money can run but wont get anywhere .. the GOP machine doesnt know him best and romney has a real chance of getting somewhere 2012 huntsman needs to oust hatch be a senator for a term or two and then go after the white house ..
    what huntsman is doing is just showing everybody he has a ton of money and can make political noise for awhile ... therefore please mr huntsman be utah's next senator (ousting hatch and you will by a landslide) and then see how the white house looks then

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:31 a.m.

The Southern evangelicals will never vote for a Mormon (especially if Huckabee is running) and the hardcore conservative/Tea Partiers will never forgive him for taking a job in the Obama administration. Really, what's the point? I agree with williary; his best bet is going to be running for the Senate next year and waiting until 2016 to go for the Presidency.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Please, Please let this mean he's coming back to challenge for Orrin Hatch's senate seat. I can't take another Mike Lee/Jason Chaffetz representing Utah for the next 6 years.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:18 a.m.

While I like Huntsman, he and Mitt will get stonewalled in the evangelical heavy South. Look at Roney's dismal numbers, he even got worked over by a McCain Huckabee voter alliance in many of those states.

Add the Tea party's ridiculous needs for an ideological pure candidate, neither Huntsman nor Romney can make it.

If Huntsman and Mitt are RINO and that means intellectual, thinking, common sense people then yes, they are. They are not the close minded anti intellectuals real Republicans are.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:06 a.m.

Conservative Utahns beware: Jon Huntsman is a RINO in the most extreme form.

Quit looking at what he says and look at what he's done.

Conservative? Hardly....

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 31, 2011 9:02 a.m.

He'd be a lot more valuable to our nation doing what he's doing and I don't think he has a snoball's chance of winning.