Family

Provo music venue finds success — sans alcohol

Comments

• jans Pickerington, OH
    Jan. 29, 2011 9:14 a.m.

A few points here:

It is a news article for LDS because Venue doesn't serve alcohol, thus the WHOLE family can attend this club. Not the norm for most of the country.

I don't think it is condescending to chose to not serve alcohol at a music venue, or to make a big deal about it in an LDS newspaper section, but I suppose people can take it that way. It serves an audience that wants that kind of music club. Some good bands have had exposure because of it.

And IV_XX you are making an assumption that the article is claiming the lack of adult beverages is what Venue thinks makes it "professional." If I read the article correctly, the reporter also mentioned things like a green room, equipment areas, elevated stage, etc. to bring in a professional atmosphere.

It a club that meets specific clientel wants and has been successful in this niche. Is this really a problem for people to deal with?

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Jan. 29, 2011 5:44 a.m.

"For ages people have been telling us that to be successful popular music clubs of this type must serve alchohol. Corey Fox has proven that this is a lie."

Well, Maybe in Utah County. But few, if any, other places

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 28, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Although I am glad this was in the LDS newsline section since I would have not found it otherwise, I am not sure why it is. While Corey Fox is quite possibly a Latter-day Saint the article never says such. I sometimes wonder what the justification of putting some articles in the LDS newsline section is, and this one does not seem to have any clear connection. I guess it is easy to multi-list on-line, but I wonder if the articles always make sense in their listings.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 28, 2011 11:59 a.m.

The two first commentors are really misinterpreting the whole thing. For ages people have been telling us that to be successful popular music clubs of this type must serve alchohol. Corey Fox has proven that this is a lie. Now people want to insult him. This is not because he is condescending but because he has exposed the fallacy of their "we must have free flow a king [in this case free flow of alchohol] like all other people".

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 8:35 p.m.

I'm glad they found a niche and are successful, but why the condescending judgment of adults-only establishments that sell alcohol?

• IV_XX Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 8:03 p.m.

"a professional venue cultivates professional bands"

So, venues that serve booze don't "cultivate" professional bands? Huh. Not from my vantage. To each their own. Congrats on cornering that hard to nail down non-drinking crowd in Utah County.