BYU basketball: The Marriott Center's biggest game ever

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 27, 2011 6:54 a.m.

@ Chrissy B

2030 huh??? You figure it's going to take Utah that long to show up again. I don't know if we can wait that long.

• It's Been Fun South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 26, 2011 1:51 p.m.

I'm keeping my mouth shut until we're sure we have the game in our rearview mirrors. I'd rather be safe then sorry. Still, go Cougs!

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Good luck, Zoobs & Cosmo's, Ute fan here actually hopes you win, tho I think what's more likely is you get exposed the way the U's football team did against TCU.

But maybe the homeless man's JJ Redick will have another lucky night from six feet behind the three-point line.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Go cougs!! I really wish I could be there but sometimes one needs to study. I will be rootin' for you in the quiet recesses of the neuroanatomy lab. GO COUGS!!!!!!!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2011 3:57 p.m.

"See ya in 2030 little brother"

U should be able to make it back to the Big Dance before then, but you're the expert.

See ya in 2030 little bro.

Big Brother

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Jan. 25, 2011 3:49 p.m.

Poor, jealous Christina.

These games may not come along very often for BYU, but the salient point is the Cougars will be playing in one of the most-hyped games this season in a little over 24 hours, while that storied program on the hill is losing to teams like San Diego and SW Baptist every year and rarily even gets to the Big Dance anymore.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Jan. 25, 2011 3:19 p.m.

BYU did lose to PAC 10 member UCLA, by 7, but BYU also spanked a better PAC 10 team, Arizona, by 22 just a week earlier.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 2:59 p.m.

I think the key is keeping Davies and Hartsock out of foul trouble. If they can stay out of foul trouble, the defense will be better and the outside game will not have to be forced. I hope Davies can get off to a good start, if he can that should help the outside shooters get cleaner looks. I'd like to see BYU's defense shine and come up with a goodly number of turnovers, that would make the game easier.

• FireHawk Aurora, CO
    Jan. 25, 2011 2:41 p.m.

I would like to see Jimmer get another 40 + game tonight. I wish I could watch the game. Good Luck BYU ....beat the Aztecs.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 2:14 p.m.

The only glaring weakness I can see with BYU is their bench. In a game like this you need production off your bench and I don't think BYU has it. I'm looking for the Aztecs to wear them down in the last 10 minutes of the game.

• JustintimeY Boise, Id
    Jan. 25, 2011 12:29 p.m.

I hope this game is the start of selling out the Marriott center for the rest of the year. Jimmer and this team have earned our support as a fan base and I hope the MC is sold out the rest of the year. It may be another 25 years before we see another player as special as Jimmer.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Direct from ESPN:

"These games don't come along every decade when you're BYU"

One ncaa win in 20 years!

See ya in 2030 little brother

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 25, 2011 11:59 a.m.

Davies and Hartsock need to avoid bone head fouls, and stay out of foul trouble early - if they can accomplish this then the Cougars have a good chance for the "W".

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 11:58 a.m.

VERY exciting even as a UTE. Go Cougars!!!!

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Stay out of foul trouble, Cougars, and you'll be just fine.

Amen on the CBS-C comment. I'll be tuning in on the radio like 1940. :)

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 11:41 a.m.

Mark it Down, wasn't it a lowly unranked PAC team that beat the cougs? hummmmm

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Jan. 25, 2011 11:17 a.m.

@Marked it Down: Let's not forget it was a team from that conference that spanked us. It's good to be mentioned among the elite of the nation as far as the ranking is concern but I'm still nervous as to how really good we think we are. Time will tell and I'm hoping it'll be a great ending to a fabulous start so far. Go Cougs!!! Go Jimmer!!!

• BYU Deek Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 11:15 a.m.

I bought my tickets for this game back in December. My only worry is that for whatever reason BYU hasn't owned the Marriott Center as much this year as they have in years past. I hope Jimmer and Jackson can set the tempo early, maybe by hitting a big run and going up 16-4 just three minutes into the game. But they can't just turn it on at the start. They've got to keep pouring it on. If I was Dave Rose I'd be telling my boys that they have to score 100 in this.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 25, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Go Cooougs!!! The Marriot center is going to be rockin'!!!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Jan. 25, 2011 10:32 a.m.

GO Cougars! Forget the hype, just go and win.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 10:11 a.m.

"two top 10 teams regularly square up in major conferences. For example,"

in the PAC 10 this year...

or last year...

or next year...

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Dr. J, two top 10 teams regularly square up in major conferences.

For example, Saturday I enjoyed watching Texas beat undefeated #2 Kansas at Kansas. Last Wednesday they beat #11 Texas A&M. In a few days they will play #13 Missouri.

Perhaps this is why teams from major conferences generally do better in March. They have already played in more than a couple of "big" games.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 9:38 a.m.

JapanCougar | 4:24 a.m. Jan. 25, 2011
    Apo, AP

It still was the biggest game in RES history (except for every year Utah plays BYU)...

The fact they got thrashed is part of the lore.

Vince | 9:25 a.m. Jan. 25, 2011
    The Boonies, Mexico
    "Hype, hype, hype and what oercent of Utah fans can get the game?"

I'll be on the second row at the MC.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Jan. 25, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Hype, hype, hype and what oercent of Utah fans can get the game? What a travesty, and a media sham!

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Kudos to BYU for a great baller team this year. However, I think SDSU will win this one, by a hair of course. Good luck Cougars, you'll need it.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:57 a.m.

Lace 'em up and let 'er rip!

• Penguin Inc. SLC, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:40 a.m.

These boys are terrific ball players!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Too bad the powers that be couldn't move the tip off earlier in the evening so that viewers east of the Mississippi could get a real look at the Cougars.

10:15 PM ET isn't exactly condusive to more people getting to see the "show".

• Sytra99 Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:14 a.m.

Isn't it just great when two of the nation's best teams meet, and the majority of the nation won't even be able to watch?
    Thanks for everything MWC. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

• jmstoker Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 25, 2011 7:56 a.m.

The BYU up tempo game, Jimmer's game, team three point shooting, Emerys defense, contributions from Davies, Hartsock, Collingsworth and the home court noise mean a win. San Diego did not play AF like a top ten team...yes, they are good athletes and play well together, but as a team they are not as good as the Y...not in the Marriott Ctr. Jimmer will score, and find the open man when pressed by mulitiple defenders! Nervous nellies have faith!

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 7:35 a.m.

This is one of the biggest conferences games in the NCAA this year...PERIOD!

Two legitimate top 10 teams play in front of 23,000+

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 7:00 a.m.

How BYU handles the pressure will tell us how good they really are. I do hope they do well.

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    Jan. 25, 2011 4:24 a.m.

I hate the fact that this is called the biggest game in Marriott Center history. Just last Fall, the game between TCU and UofU was called the biggest football game in the history of the state of Utah (how do the people in Utah feel about that now?)
    I'd prefer that we keep the hype down until after the game. Biggest game in the season, thus far? Yes. Most important game in BYU history--not. Best team they will face this (regular) season--probably.
    The importance of this game comes down to 2 things: the conference championship, and preparation for the tournament.
    I wish we got to play teams of this caliber week-in and week-out like they do in the Big East--it would prepare us so much more for the tournament.

Go cougars!

• PerfectCougar Payson, UTAH
    Jan. 25, 2011 12:48 a.m.

Nothing but respect for SDSU. If both teams play to their best - BYU wins a tough one.

• badlandscougar great plains, sd
    Jan. 24, 2011 11:44 p.m.

san diego st is a great team with a great coach. they can play and have a gray haired fox who coaches them too. don't let them sneak out the doors with a win while we are lost in the moment waving at the cameras and sipping the slush. go byu!! lock the doors.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 11:32 p.m.

Dave Rose need to tell Jimmer this is an away game.

Just don't talk about rankings and seedings stuff. Bracketology geeks need to be turn off for now till conferance tourney time.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 11:16 p.m.

Unbeatable vs Unguardable!

In the end, it will simply be...

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 11:10 p.m.

It's pretty amazing that ESPN is hyping a game that is being televised by CBS College Sports.

It shows just how much national attention and respect SDSU and BYU are getting.

Of course, adding the Jimmer Show to the mix doesn't hurt.