Utah State may be joining MWC

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Jan. 25, 2011 11:55 p.m.

Not inviting US is surprising, you'd think the mwc would still want the utah footprint. They must think US wouldn't draw enough for interest. Well...US will be okay and I bet will eventually join if not now.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 25, 2011 7:02 p.m.

Hopefully Utah State will fit and the MWC will finally end both it's association with Craig Thompson and the lousey MTN Network... with it's even lousier ComCast TV contract.

As for Utah treating the Aggies as if they are too good to play them. I wouldn't let it worry you. Utah is exhibiting exactly the same attitude as Arizona and Arizona State did when they left the original WAC 1.0 version. Neither School has really done much of anything since joining the PAC 10. WAC 2.0 went on and did pretty well without them. Utah, New Mexico and BYU remained as top contenders in Basketball and UNLV came in making it a more balanced Basketball conference... While in Football BYU and Air Force pretty much dominated with an occasional spoiler in Utah, and UNLV. WAC 3.0 was a disaster when commissioner Benson tried to make a 16 team 3 ring Circus. Thus most of the original WAC 2.O left and formed the MWC. So WAC 4.0 was created and was really making headway. Boise State and Hawaii in the BCS and ESPN coverage. Now USU leaving. Will the WAC even survive?

• Dougedug Henderson, NV
    Jan. 25, 2011 6:27 p.m.

The MWC is in no way afraid of USU, It would be great to see Utah State struggle in the Mountain West and finish no better then 4th every year in basketball right behind San Diego State, New Mexico, and UNLV, maybe even further now that Colorado State seems to be turning things around. Utah State struggles against athletical teams.

Remember Stew left CSU because he could not compete with the top teams.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 3:16 p.m.

This stinks. It will be extremely difficult for USU to build a football program without a decent conference to play in. If nothing good happens by next year I would expect Anderson to jump ship for the first good opportunity. I'd say that USU has too much class for the MWC or the MWC is afraid of USU's Bball team but USU needs the MWC badly.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Jan. 25, 2011 2:22 p.m.

That's a bummer there is no deal. Hang in there USU. I don't know what else can be said.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 1:55 p.m.

You are right on, Superzero. The Denver Post is reporting the MWC strongly opposed expansion. No invitation coming for USU.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Jan. 25, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Tough break for the Aggies, but the MWC has tabled plans for expansion, for now.

• Superzero Farmington, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 1:40 p.m.

I just learned.....the deal is dead. My senses were right.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Harmon tweeted, "MWC staying with current composition."

• Superzero Farmington, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 1:22 p.m.

I'm not so certain this is a done deal. In fact the only thing we know is if the MWC decides they promised USU an invite and that some other school (for some reason San Jose St). The fact is the MWC might not even want to expand which means no invite for anybody.

As much as I want to hear that USU is in I'm highly doubting it. There are reasons both competitive and business in nature that can spoil the decision to expand and thus denying USU the invite.

I hope the invitation comes, but my senses don't feel so good that it will happen.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Jan. 25, 2011 12:47 p.m.

This Cougar is hoping USU gets into MWC. USU needs to get rid of their self-image as a bottom feeder. They are way too used to it. They need to buck up, get some self-respect, and stop being content with the raw deals they've gotten.

When they get to the MWC, they need to be proactive, get with their other teams, and stand up to the MWC on this TV deal. USU should not be willing to be a MWC lapdog. The Aggies have a great basketball program. Work it and use it.

Meanwhile, this Cougar will see you on the court.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 12:43 p.m.

wac won't have a football program and Aggies will have to go Independent which didn't work out the last time. So, yes get in the mwc now.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Good luck to USU. The ONLY reason MWC wants them now is they're finally realizing that the bulk of their ad dollars on the mtn came from Utah and they cannont afford to lose that market.

And why does every article call it a "lucrative conference football championship game"? Sam Boyd stadium only holds so many people, and what kind of TV contract will MWC get for that game when they're restricted by the mtn and Comcast? I refuse to believe that MWC will make all that much from such a game, certainly not "millions"

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Your right Eliot. Since USU now always beats the Utes in BBall it is hardly a rivalry.

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Aggies couldn't care less whether or not Utah or BYU fans consider us rivals. Let SLC and Provo continue to drink their superiority-complex kool-aid. Our bigger rival in basketball is Boise State, and soon-to-be UNLV. The facts are that we can compete very well in basketball, and Gary Anderson will improve the recruiting that the football team desperately needs.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Jan. 25, 2011 9:55 a.m.

This is getting ridiculous. Basically the WAC has decided to add the worst teams from the MWC and ditch its ESPN TV deal for one with The Mtn. Where's the logic in that? I hope they enjoy their one year with TCU.

• Utah Man Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I hope this happens for the Aggies. They deserve to be in a conference that offers stability. That being said, they are not going to bulldoze their way to basketball conference championships. It is much different playing road games at UNLV, SDSU, UNM, and now CSU as opposed to La. Tech, San Jose State, and Fresno State. That being said, I would like to see the Aggies in the mix and would like to see the MWC keep a footprint in the state of Utah.

• B C Park City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 9:32 a.m.

It doesn't really matter whether BYU and Utah consider Utah State a rival, what matters is whether BYU and Utah continue to play Utah State.

BYU seems willing to continue playing the Aggies in both football and basketball.

Utah seems to think they're too good to play the Aggies anymore.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 9:21 a.m.

Why such a downer eliot. Are you bitter about some of the losses USU Bball has inflicted upon BYU and Utah? Or maybe it was the footall game with BYU this year. This is great for USU and for all the in-state athletes they will recruit. It had to happen for USU to survive in Football and it will boost their recruiting in all sports. It came at a good time with the football signing next week. Hopefully a few fence sitters will be influenced. I am really hoping this happens for the Aggies. Next year will be a critical year for Aggie Football. They need to improve over last fall.
    Go Aggies!

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Note to all. Neither BYU or Utah considers USU a rival either in basketball or football. Yeah, they beat the Cougars this year in football, but winnning a game every 25 years doesn't make for a very intense rivalry. It only exists in the minds of the Aggies.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:58 a.m.

WAC 3.0 aka MWC 2.0 (football only)

East Division
    Boise State
    Utah State
    Colorado State
    Air Force
    New Mexico

West Division
    San Diego State
    Fresno State
    San Jose State

Championship game played in Las Vegas, of course.

• Superzero Farmington, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:51 a.m.

This will be great, I always felt USU would make a good fit geographically. Do they make the best competitor? Probably not but at least the MWC and Comcast keep a foot in the state even if it's a mere fraction of what it was with BYU and Utah.

However, I thought a Texas school would have made more sense than San Jose St. The California market is already there with San Diego and now Fresno State.

If this happens it will be the best thing for them. I think this will continue to help them build a solid b-ball program and my fingers are crossed that Coach Anderson can use this move to his advantage and build a competitive football program.

It's not written in stone yet, but I hope it happens.

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:41 a.m.

Why move to the MWC?

Because there's a high probability that the WAC won't survive as a football conference.

There's no reason the Aggies can't eventually compete for a MWC championship. Just has UNLV is no longer the juggernaut the Rebels used to be in basketball, Boise State won't be able to remain dominant forever.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:07 a.m.

Moving to the MWC is Utah State's only viable option if the Aggies want to continue playing football in the FBS.

Adding the Aggies to the MWC will help compensate for the loss BYU in basketball.

As far as football, the MWC took a big hit with the loss of TCU, BYU, and Utah and now has virtually no chance of becoming an AQ conference.

Even though they'll be making more money, Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada and Utah State will soon discover joys of playing on the MTN are not quite the same as playing on ESPN.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Jan. 25, 2011 8:01 a.m.

Why join the MWC where no one will be able to see you play? USU can compete for conference championships on a regular basis if they stay where they are. The football team can have a winning record even. Just being realistic.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 25, 2011 7:42 a.m.

With hindsight I wish it was the MWC dying with the WAC surviving. As it is, the MWC needs to make room for USU.

I will always enjoy watching Nevada and USU going at it in the Spectrum. It will also be nice to renew the UNLV series without Tark the Shark.

Go Big Blue!!!

• Wild Blue Abilene, TX
    Jan. 25, 2011 6:33 a.m.

You know after the stand up actions of Utah State's leadership in that whole cradle robbing escapade that the MWC commish pulled last year, I have to really hope that karma comes back and the Aggies get this step up.

I hate the MWC for everything that happened and particularly the way it went down - won't miss it at all. But all the same I think it will be great for the Aggies and wish them the best. I also hope they are able to convince the conference to dump that stupid television network.

If BYU can schedule games with them to make this work for USU, they definitely should.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 25, 2011 6:29 a.m.

The Aggies pretty much have to go somewhere else... as well as does Craig Thompson... the MWC's present Commisioner. I'm afraid the end of the WAC is an obvious conclusion. This present WAC 4 version will not last much longer. Utah State's leaving will be another stumble and fall if not a certain final blow. I just hope that the Aggies make sure that they do their homework first and force Thompson's hands to be placed firmly on the table if plain site. They need to ensure that if the MWC is their intention that they understand the implications of the present MTN and ComCast Television structure and insist along with every other team presently in the conference... or about to enter the conference that they will not accept a renewal of a TV contract that does not give them access to National Television coverage. The schools must stand together on that issue. Otherwise it may not be the best place to direct the Aggies program to.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Jan. 25, 2011 6:24 a.m.

I like this move for the Aggies. Frankly, if the MWC would give BYU its television flexibility, I would love to see the Cougars stay in the MWC.

I don't see the MWC providing BYU with that flexibility . . . and that decision is a mistake from the way I see the world.

I like BYU playing the MWC teams. The calibre of competition is excellent -- particularly in hoops! The Aggies and the Cougars are long-time rivals and I have enjoyed their many battles over the years.

Similarly, I like the SDSU, Wyoming, CSU, and UNLV competition in basketball. In football CSU has had some great years and AFA is always tough!

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Jan. 25, 2011 3:41 a.m.

Well now ... it's about time.

Looks like the GOOD GUYS might just catch a break ... I certainly hope so. The Aggies deserve it.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2011 12:03 a.m.

Good luck Aggies. I'm happy for you that you've finally found a stable home. Thanks for staying true to your word. Good guys don't always finish last.

The ony down side is you'll now be stuck with hair Thompson's MTN.

RIP WAC -- this will be the final nail in the coffin of the WAC as a football conference.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 10:41 p.m.

Earlier I read, for this to happen, it would be critical for Utah to honor their 4(?) football games beginning in 2012 with USU. In addition, the Y must play home and home basketball games with USU. I believe there were some other in-state games committments necessary. I plead with Utah and BYU to play those schedule games and to do anything else that would help USU to insure stability in their conference affiliation!!! (Because Utah only has three non-comference football games to schedule I realize this probably would require the Utes to alternate games each year with the Y and USU. But we should continue the traditional rivalries with both schools!!!!)

• Ogden Aggie Ogden, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 9:35 p.m.

Let's hope this goes through. As much as I hate to see the WAC die I am much more concerned about seeing the Ags stay afloat and the MWC makes sense geographically, and from a competition standpoint. Here's hopin' this is all over very soon. Go State!!!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 24, 2011 9:17 p.m.

USU and Tulsa.

Would be good for MWC.

• TrueBlueAggie Logan, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:34 p.m.

There has been a lot of talk of san jose joining as well. I pray that isn't the case...

• aggie bob Logan, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Ugh. I really dont want to join the MWC. Its obviously a place where teams who have a say, dont want to be. This new MWC will be no better and no different than the current WAC.

Unfortunately, the WAC is a sinking ship. At least the MWC will provide some stability.

• B Logan, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:29 p.m.

RE: Waaandy

Need I remind you that WAC 2.0 taught both BYU and Utah a lesson in football this year?

Utah gets crushed by BSU
    BYU gets crushed by USU and Nevada

I like the MWC. It hurts to lose TCU but Boise is awesome and I'm glad USU will be playing Air Force, SDSU, and even CSU and Wyoming. Basketball should be pretty nice too. Too bad BYU won't be around for that. That would be a SWEET b-ball conf.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:16 p.m.

I'm surprised USU would be next on the MWC radar. I agree, I would have thought they would raid Texas schools next. But this would be great news for USU athletics.

If USU is the 11th team in the MWC...any speculation who the 12th team might be?

• Utah_State_Fan Logan, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:11 p.m.

The only bad side to joining the MWC is not having any games on ESPN. Plus the Mountain isn't even in HD!

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:10 p.m.

Good move for the Aggies. Most likely the death nail for the WAC.

• B Logan, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:08 p.m.

Hopefully this is true. This is the life boat USU needs. Sorry to see the WAC go to the wayside like this, but this the best outcome for Utah State.

• Waaandy Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:06 p.m.

WAC 2.0

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    Jan. 24, 2011 7:56 p.m.

I hope the Ags are included in the MWC, they are deserving and have been above board in all of their dealings regarding expansions for several years. I don't know who the other invitee might be but that is exactly what the MWC needs with the losing of BYU & UTAH. I feel sorry for the other members in the WAC because losing USU, BSU, Fresno, and Nevada is a killer for their conference. Now hopefully the MWC can get a decent TV contract that will cover these deserving members.

• USU AGGIE FAN Logan, Utah
    Jan. 24, 2011 7:47 p.m.

This is Great news! It is a great time to be an Aggie right now, we have both the Wagon Wheel and Beehive Boot, we have the 25th best team in the country in basketball, and we are about to join a big boy conference in football.

• RR_Xing San Diego, CA
    Jan. 24, 2011 7:47 p.m.

To date, the MWC has added schools that will boost their bottom line regarding a automatic BCS bid. USU is about as far from that as you can get.

I'm an alum and really hope to see the Aggies in the MWC, but don't see it happening if they can get Houston (or even UTEP) from C-USA to join.

• playmaker sandy, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 7:46 p.m.

Best place for Utah State, and great for Mountain West. BYU will be asking to get back in after a few years of having all their other sports in the WCC. If BYU did the 'right' thing, it would now be asking to get back into the MWC. Either way, it just makes sense for Utah State to go to MWC. Sure, USU's football team struggled this year, but they did beat BYU. USU's basketball team barely lost to BYU, in Provo. And, USU killed BYU last year in basketball. USU has some strong teams in most of the other sports as well. If BYU does well in football independence (which they will), their other sports would still be better off in the MWC as opposed to the whimpy WCC. Most of those WCC schools are no bigger than our 5A high schools. They have decent basketball programs and very good women's soccer. Go Aggies!

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2011 7:41 p.m.

As a Cougar fan, I hope this works out for the Aggies. Best of luck, and I hope this goes through.