Utah Utes football: U. commit Ryan Henderson visits USC

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 20, 2011 7:37 a.m.

I knew that BYU was denying the initial report. I think they are just spinning it. I tend to believe the initial report, which, was reported and is documentation.

You can chose to believe what you want to, I will believe what I want to. The reality is we don't know what the "fact" are.

I refer you to the last paragraph of my post. The whole point of my post was to point out the lunacy of slam saying the Utah program was have managerial issue, and the interpretation of the situation around BYU's offensive changes does not change the ridiculous nature of slams' assertion.

Now, Veritas, if you would like to address discuss things with me in a civil, mature manner that's fine, and I enjoy good discussion. However, if you are going to continue to move the discussion away from the point I am trying to make just to prove that you are the home of "truth and justice" then I have no desire to discus things with you because it will be fruitless

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 19, 2011 9:52 p.m.

pocyUte | 2:50 p.m. Jan. 18, 2011
    Pocatello, ID

I read your source...

pocyUte | 5:02 p.m. Jan. 18, 2011
    Pocatello, ID
    Veritas, Resident

pocyUte | 5:02 p.m. Jan. 18, 2011
    Pocatello, ID
    Veritas, Resident

December 20th D news. Offensive staff could be overhauled.

"On Monday night, Brett Pyne, BYU's media relations director for football, offered to clarify the situation.

"Any reports that BYU football coaches have been released from the staff are inaccurate," he said in a statement. "BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall has begun the evaluation process of the recently completed season. As part of the process, Mendenhall met with offensive coaches and indicated a restructuring of the offensive staff is being evaluated. Mendenhall told the coaches this includes possible changes in assignments and personnel. The review will continue after the holidays and has no specific timetable.""

Why not read the article and stick to what happened, instead of making up facts on the run?

Life gets easier when you deal with reality.

I hope Utah get's the recruit from USC...

Give USC some motivation.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Jan. 19, 2011 2:51 p.m.

Frankly, I'd rather have an over-achieving 1-star walkon who's fully committed to Utah, than a prima-donna 4-star recruit who is basing his decision on who showed him the best time during his recruiting visits.

Players, not stars, win games.

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    Jan. 19, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Surprising number of BYU commentators. Hmm...

I think it is very unfortunate to for Utah to have such a flaky kid "commit". Then again, that's probably how they roll in the PAC-10-soon-to-be-12. Good luck Utes.

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 19, 2011 9:15 a.m.

I could have sworn I selected this from a Utah link?

Did I not see the area that states that the comment board is looking for responses from the independent little brothers down south?

There is a great article for you regarding the MWC looking to add some teams. Perhaps the cougars should try and get in that power conference to upgrade from the WCC/WAC!

USC is dirty and Henderson will be a Ute.

• umanami Draper, UT
    Jan. 19, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Interesting to see all the ybU cougar breaths stressed about the Utah program by posting on a Utah article. I guess they should be worried.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 19, 2011 6:31 a.m.

"Well I decided to look that up. And I was actually surprised with how many ATHLETES with offers from BCS schools opted to be Cougars"

Fun little list you have. Since the anouncement of independence how many offers from BCS schools? You know the PRESENT 2011 class?

I'll wait for your response....I'm guessing I'll be waiting a long long time.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 10:53 p.m.

Dear Utelogly. BYU did not have many positions open due to early commits, so statistically Utah may have more recruits.

HOpe your logic prepares you to play eternally in the Las Vegas bowl as the 4th place team in the PAC 12.

• Lehicoug Lehi, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 10:30 p.m.

Can't wait to see Arizona State put a beat down on Utah next year...and Arizona...and SC...

It's coming. Ute fans ready?

• IMDABOMB Cedar City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 10:28 p.m.

Well normally I would not respond to these ludicrous attempts at fact. But this was just too much....

"How many tds football recruits have had any interest from major programs?"
    "Crickets crickets crickets"

Well I decided to look that up. And I was actually surprised with how many ATHLETES with offers from BCS schools opted to be Cougars. And many of them are actually not even members of the LDS church. Go figure?

In 2010 alone, BYU had 9 commits with offers from BCS schools.

Below I have the athletes name and a short list of offers from BCS schools.

Joshua Quezada- Standford, Washington, Utah
    Toloa'i Ho Ching- Wisconsin
    Alani Fua- Ohio State, Arizona State, Oregon State
    Jordan Johnson- Uconn
    Tayo Fabuluje- Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Purdue
    Jake Heaps- Oklahoma, LSU, Tennessee, ect.
    Ross Apo- Missouri, Nebraska, Texas, ect.
    Zac Stout- Nebraska, Arizona, Washington
    Graham Rowley- Stanford, Colorado, Washington

Hurts a little doesn't it?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Loyalty issues. Better dump the kid or look like hypocrites. Is this so hard?

What is wrong with this Ute football program? I thought going to the PAC-12 was to be nirvana?

It pains me (gag) to see this juggernaut of a BCS Bowl Busting go down so hard. (thud)

• Nostradamus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 8:08 p.m.

Hmmmm...isn't USC in trouble with the NCAA??? How good of a time did they show this kid. His definition of "Commitment" is pretty strange...

May be that there are more deserving kids for the scholarship...winning "at all costs" probably isn't really "winning" -

Whitt has a lot more of the facts and he will make the right decision.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 18, 2011 8:05 p.m.

Not sure what is meant by all the "tricks" USC put out. Uh, this is a team on probation for a reason.

If it's "tricks" he's after, perhaps he should consider the good ol' SEC.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 18, 2011 7:27 p.m.

Outside of Ryker is BYU even attempting to recruit a 4 star player?

• NewMexicoUte Albuquerque, NM
    Jan. 18, 2011 7:15 p.m.

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. Stars to me are a 50/50, not entirely accurate. Henderson actually won't the SPARQ award. But nonetheless, I would steal a recruit from Utah if I could to keep the once "non-AQ" down.

@Ducky Boy,
    I'm glad I could make your fat belly laugh. I'm told I'm a comedian. Peace Homie!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Jan. 18, 2011 6:41 p.m.

"The truth is that USC, like BYU, is a school that kids litterally dream about playing at as they grow up."

Keep spinning it. The truth is only kids in Utah County. Everywhere else? Well not so much, here's a sample.

Utah Recruits According to Rivals:

1. Ryker Mathews 4-star OL (BYU)
    2. Harvey Langi 4-star RB (Utah)
    3. Isaac Asiata OL 3-star (Utah)
    4. Nate Fakahafua 3-star WR (Utah)
    5. Travis Still 3-star WR (Utah)

1. Bronson Kaufusi 4-star DE (BYU)
    2. Ricky Heimuli 4-star DT (Oregon)
    3. Joe Kruger DE 3-star (Utah)
    4. Algrenon Brown 3-star RB (BYU)
    5. Chris Badger 3-star DB (Notre Dame)

1. Xavier Sua Filo 4-star OL (UCLA)
    2. John Martinez 4-star OL (USC)
    3. Criag Bills 4-star DB (BYU)
    4. Latu Heimuli 4-star DT (Utah)
    5. Richard Wilson 3-star TE (BYU)

If 2011 is the beginning of a trend then BYU is headed to Division 2 status.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 6:30 p.m.

Do you mean no honor code like Max Hall and the part of BYU's," Honor Code", #5 Respect Others ?
    What's with that ? Max received an official reprimand from the MWC , but nothing from Bronco because of the upcoming bowl game.
    Did you mean that Honor code?
    Ever think that coach Kyle believes a bit more in free agency ?
    By the way mountanman mountan is misspelled it's mountain.

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 6:13 p.m.

Hey Cougar Fans, the large majority of Utah fans don't care about you anymore.

This is an article about a possible Utah recruit. We don't need your spin or to hear about how great you think you are.

• Utah Alum Orem, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Utah and BYU are both great academic institutions. Unfortunately, a sizable portion of their fans, mostly for Utah, spend more time hating the opposing university, than supporting their own.

The antics of many "Utah fans" are, quite frankly, an embarrassment to a great universtiy.

Kicking snow and dropping f-bombs on Bronco during his post-game press conference are about as bush-league as it gets.

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 6:11 p.m.

LOL and Giggles at my BFF Duckhunter!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 5:36 p.m.

Duckhunter - no question many LDS kids grow up dreaming of BYU. It is a great institution of learning and a solid spiritual experience. Clearly it is not only religious zealots that go there or Jake Heaps and Jimmer would have served missions.

Utah is also a great academic environment and for an LDS kid can also offer a spiritual experience through the insitute program and the LDSA. It will be different from the Y., but not every good LDS kid wants to or dreams about going to BYU. Some even - gasp - dream about going to Utah. Many great men and women have graduated from and cheer for the University - including apostles and prophets of the LDS church.

I know we all get caught up in supporting our teams, but both have great merits. Especially given the PAC-12 and the Independent status now, there are great things to want at each school. Both will attract great talent albeit different kinds of talent - as it should be. Utah has the advantage and the broader pool to select from and its move to the PAC-12 only makes the pool larger. BYU gets more exposure and will get better as well.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 18, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Veritas, Resident

December 20th D news. Offensive staff could be overhauled. The initial reports were all were let go (a report that was also picked up by multiple news outlets). Speculation (which I heard from my cougar fan friends) was that Anae had leaked to Harmon. Either way, you guys can spin it how you want, but I think it went down the way it was initially reported.

No, Veritas, I don't feel an apology is in order, but thanks for being condescending. You can apologize for that if you want, but I don't really care

The whole point of my post, however, was to point out the ludacrous assertion by grandslamsthat the Utah program is suffering management issues because of a recruit and changing around the offensive staff when BYU has had some staff turnover itself, handled in a rather unorthodox way, and got it handed to them by a very bad football team AND lost head to head to that team with "management issues." The BYU fans posting here are the ones in denial.

• Resident2 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Each of those names had info. I meant that I didn't have more posts allowed to comment more, thought it looks as though I'm not limited to 4 anymore?

Anyway, I looked at plenty recruits and there are plenty of "big names" listed with our recruits. Say what you want about a poor season or whatever else, but let's not act as ignorant as you clearly have.

USC your new rival... hahaha. Maybe Washington St.. but I'm sure USC couldn't care less about you coming in.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 4:34 p.m.

Actually wedgie BYU seldom competes with anyone for recruits. Most of them just grow up dreaming of being Cougars and accept the offers in their sophomore years of hs. It is schools like utah, that no one grows up dreaming about playing for, that have to compete for recruits.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 18, 2011 4:30 p.m.

99% of all students select BYU because of religious reasons. Just stating a fact. Go ahead and claim academics or whatever else but the bottom line is zealot reasons. No need to be defensive about it.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 4:19 p.m.

The truth is the wedgie and christina b are a fair representation of a large segment of the utah fan base. If I was an lds ute "fan" I would feel extremely embarrassed, humiliated really, to know that I sahred an association with bigots of that stripe.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 4:07 p.m.

I knew all the ute "fans" would get wound up over that one. LOL

But of course it is the truth, all of it. No one grows up dreaming of playing for utah.

I see "commits" bailing for schools that haven't "won 2 bcs games" or "can go to the Rose Bowl or bcs title game" and that are litterally on probation and can't even go to any bowl game. Don't they know the utes are in the pac10! They should be running to the hill shouldn't they? whittingham should be turning them away if you listen to wedgie.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 18, 2011 4:07 p.m.

"I don't have enough space and time to post more."

Wow, you had the opportunity to use 400 words and all you could come up with was Jack heaps and Rose Alpo? that's four words... No, you had plenty of "space" just couldn't think of anymore than two players from LAST YEAR.

Just deal with the fact the tds competes against USU and Idaho St. for recruits and leave it at that.

The fact that USC is the Utes new RIVAL must be soooo depressing for the tds.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Oh, hedgehog, name calling now, Religious Zealots (too bad you can't spell it either) My, my how the hate comes out.

No one who knows me would even of think to call me a religious zealot and I attended there. They know me as a faithful member of the LDS church, but I have never forced my religion on anyone and do not run around spouting about the church and trying to make it a focal point of every conversation. You are looking through the world in a dark glass.

Lighten up hedgehog you will live longer and enjoy life more. Get rid of the hate.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:59 p.m.

It would be great to have him join the Utes. Of course Utah will try to pull all the stops to get him here, but if he also doesn't show committment to hard work, then he won't be of much value to the utes or to the trojans.

His chances of making the NFL are probably equal at both schools as both run very tough defenses that rely a lot on the corners. There are some recent CBs and safeties in the NFL that can bear witness to Utah's program.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:57 p.m.

I'm thinking it's time to ask the Utah nation (Chris B, Uteology, Hailstorm, UtahCountyUte, VegasUte) to start putting up solid, fact based conclusions, not selective facts...

Just a thought...

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:53 p.m.

Wow, honesty is just not considered by these young men. I will commit to you, but with the fingers crossed behind his back, I will continue to go look at the other schools at their expense and see if I have a better time at that school. Utah should tell him right up front. Either you commit to us or you go find some other place. IT is one thing for a young man to make a decision and then once at that school realize how much was put into enteraining him and it is not the right fit for him athletically. Then he can decide to change schools, but to commit and then continue to make visits is just plain dishonest.

Anyone who disagrees needs to go take an ethics course. That is a major problem with your country. too many do not even think about ethical behavior.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:52 p.m.

pocyUte | 2:50 p.m. Jan. 18, 2011
    Pocatello, ID

Actually, rather than spin that... Document your assertation.

When did Bronco fire the whole offensive staff? Seriously, document that...

Then, ask for the spin.

If you can't, then an apology would be in order...

I'm talking to pocyUte...

• Resident2 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:30 p.m.

Actually, that's not what happened. Good try though..

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:26 p.m.

UU32 | 10:41 a.m. Jan. 18, 2011
    Bountiful, UT
    Will the kid score the same on the SPARQ when he weighs more than 165? Sounds like he needs some maturing - both physically and mentally. Then again, who doesn't need that at 18?

Bronco would definitely pull the scholarship. But then again, Whit is not Bronco -- thank goodness.

But, then again, Bronco would not have been laughing while his players went across the field to "taunt" the visiting players at the BYU-Utah game...

Sometime soon, BYU fans, will need to realize that Kyle Wittingham, who was offered the job at BYU, is not the same "Kyle" that played at BYU. His desire to turn every Utah football game into a streetfight is not what we want represented from the state.

Let Kyle take that "mentality" to USC, and see his players get beatdown, and then let Utah get a coach that knows football.

The Kyle you think you see is not a collge football coach...

He's a high-paid professional putting on a show for the fans...

• Resident2 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:22 p.m.

I don't have enough space and time to post more.

Just because you are ignorant does not make you correct. Sorry.

Why would he pick Utah anyway? Didn't they get stomped by the "cheerleaders" of Boise State?

• Resident2 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:15 p.m.

@ Hedgehog

Ross Apo

Decommitted from Texas June 2009 for BYU... Committed to Texas February of junior year...

Texas.. sounds like a big named program to me.

• Resident2 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Jake Heaps

Committed June 2009... North Carolina, UCLA, Notre Dame, Oregon State, Colorado also in final 10... Holding 25 scholarship offers (June 2009)... Hopes to enroll early... 2008: Completed 203 of 312 attempts (65.1-percent) for 2,910 yards, 38 touchdowns and four interceptions. Rushed for seven touchdowns. Washington ESPN Rise Gatorade Football Player of the Year. Class 4A Player of the Year. Class 4A First Team All-State... 2007: Completed 202 of 336 passes (60.1-percent) for 3,095 yards, 31 touchdowns and seven interceptions... Rushed 95 times for 409 yards (4.3 average) and 14 touchdowns... Also recruited by: Miami-FL, Washington State, South Carolina, Arizona State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Duke, Boise State...

Any of those sound like big name programs?

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 18, 2011 2:50 p.m.

Really, your coach just fired his whole offensive staff, then said they could reapply. Spin that one. This is after he tried a 2 QB system, and fired one of his defensive coaches, then took over the defense himself. You guys get dominated by USU, barely make a bowl game, lose head to head to the Utes, and you're saying it's the Utes program that is in disarray.

Look in the mirror my friend.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 2:45 p.m.

@ hedgie

What is with you and the "Crickets crickets crickets"? You should really do something about those sounds in your head! They are causing you to hear other voices also. I really like all those athletes on your BB team too. Oh and let's see a # 5 team in FB goes down to nothing by the end of the season....That was a team full of athletes too.

I really think you need to go back to that shrink you saw during the summer, I know he still has your record.

• ManBearPig Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 2:30 p.m.

At Duckhunter - hahahahahaha. Utah County goggles.

• Kankles Miami, Florida
    Jan. 18, 2011 2:23 p.m.

Need a tissue? No one on our roster has a DUI how bout the cougs?

• Kankles Miami, Florida
    Jan. 18, 2011 2:19 p.m.

BYU doesnt have one recruit besides Ryker Matthews that has a BCS offer.. and your comparing them to USC (yikes).Do you wear a helmet to bed?

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 18, 2011 2:18 p.m.

These utah spins are hillariouos. This kid just called you out and you are saying it's ok. Great stuff! Hey, your head football coach is hiring people without telling his current staff they might be out of a job or a demotion. You're ok with that too.

Utah has some serious management issues...the program is imploding and ute fans are in denial. Utah is not a PAC 12 attractive school. You are now going to need to sell out to this kid to get him or he's gone if he doesn't get what he wants. Hillarious, an 18 year old is taking you down.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 18, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Utes, Have you tried recruiting from the penal system? Just a suggestion, since they would fit right in at your school. Hey, no honor code!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 18, 2011 1:40 p.m.

Maybe he has too much class because he doesn't want to throw beer at opposing players or curse out their wife or children. Or maybe it is because he doesn't enjoy starting fights with opposing players before games!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 18, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Correction: ATHLETES dream about going to USC, religious zeloits dream about bYU.

How many tds football recruits have had any interest from major programs?

Crickets crickets crickets

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 1:02 p.m.

Keep spinning ute "fans". LOL

There are a couple of ways of looking at this. Obiously, like the philanderer, this kid never really was a "commit" and utah has never been more than a fall back consideration.

Also it is obvious that he still considered USC to be a more likely contender for just about anything than utah even with a no post season punishment hanging over their heads. Better to go 10-2 at USC and not get into the post season than to go 5-7 at utah and not get into the post season.

The truth is that USC, like BYU, is a school that kids litterally dream about playing at as they grow up. No one, not one single kid, dreams about playing at utah as they grow up. The utes have to convince a kid that he doesn't really want to attend the school he dreamed his whole life about playing for and come and play for them instead.

The utes will not be getting any real upgrades in the kids they sign, the top ones will still ignore them other than a few that have some kind of connection to them already.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 10:53 a.m.

re: hawk

My point was how far Utah has progressed in the recruiting war. Not certain how you define "legitimacy" (your word, not mine) but your point of winning those battles would be additional proof of our progress. (Remember that February 2nd!!!)

additional thoughts:
    When Bronko retracted a scholarship because a Y commit visited another school, I was appalled! I had the same reaction when Coach Whit did the same to Philander!! Then I leared the detail. Coach Whit is upfront with recruits. If they commit and take subsequent visits he will continue to recruit their position as they may change their minds. (Sounds like rational position to me!!!) Philander "was not up front" with the U and took the visit to Mississippi without notifying the U. It was for this reason his scholarship was revoked.

Another exampe of how far the U has come in football reputation was when a four star recruit, committed to a SEC school, decided to reconsider. He researched schools who had a history of sending defense backs to the NFL and chose to vist the U. He contacted us not vice versa!!!!
    Circle February 2nd!!!!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 10:41 a.m.

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 8:59 a.m.

All this talk of "pulling scholorships" is ridiculous. These kids are 18 years old and are making, perhaps, the most important decision they have made thus far in their life. I can understand second guessing that decision and making sure, through other visits, that the decision you made was the right one. The kid is apparently good and BYU fans (mostly the ones calling for Whitt to pull the offer) really don't know the first thing about athletic, highly recruited athletes that haven't dreamed about BYU since they were 10....since they don't consider BYU as a school of choice.

This kid will realize that Utah is DB U...just look at the NFL players that Utah has produced at his position. The style of defense Utah plays prepares these kids for the NFL and if he dreams of making it someday (which recruit doesn't), then Utah will prepare him better than anywhere else.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 18, 2011 8:51 a.m.

I'm more concerned about landing Floyd Raven ( 8 ranked CB in the nation / 120 ranked player in the nation)

On paper it appears Raven could be the shut down CB the Utes need.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 18, 2011 8:17 a.m.

I'm pretty sure Whit has a better grasp on recruiting than the rest of us. Each person's situation is different, and if Whit automatically pulled schollies from guys who tripped after commit, I think he'd have a bit of a harder sell. The Philander situation was different. He wasn't open with coaches in his plans to take more visits, whereas I believe Henderson has. Plus, Utah gets the last crack at him, and I'm pretty sure after he takes his visit here, he will stick, along with Pomee.

Calic coug: It's always good to talk smack about a team that won 3 more games than you did, beat you head to head, and didn't lose to Utah State.

• Big Daddy Ute Logan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 8:00 a.m.

Pull the offer and let him go to USC. Make a committment in life and stick to it Mr. Henderson. Oh, by the way, when Coach Kiffin gets fired in three or four years for destroying not only your team but further tarnishes USC's reputation, don't come running to us.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 18, 2011 7:48 a.m.

This kid is playing Whit like a fiddle. Let's see if Whit believes in his program by yanking the offer or if he's is desperate and caters to this kid. He's already yanked one offer because the recruit went on another visit...does he have the courage to do it again? The U program will be disgraced if it allows this kid to challenge them to "make his experience better".

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Jan. 18, 2011 7:20 a.m.

Hold on, Who am I sir, the BATTLE doesn't necessarily indicate the utes legitimacy -- consistently WINNING the battles will indicate ligitimacy.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 18, 2011 7:01 a.m.

Typical Ute commit, who is really uncommited. Common Whit, be consistent. A committed player taking an official visit to another school - pull his scholarship offer.

The entitlement this kid is looking for is unbelievable. Almost sounds like he's looking for payment for his services.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 6:57 a.m.

Better make sure you "show him a good time" as that seems to be what's important to this guy. He certainly seems to have his priorities in place. He'd fit in well with the Utes.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA

Passing Yards 93 341
    Average/Pass Play 3.9 8.5
    Penalties-Yards 10-83 3-29
    Fumbles-Lost 3-3 4-3
    Interceptions Thrown 0 1
    Time of Possession 26:50 33:10

Nothing to do with the article, I just like posting it.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Jan. 17, 2011 11:48 p.m.

"We all sat around and looked at all the talent in the room and said if every one of us decided to come to SC together, there's probably a 90 percent chance we could win a national title together."

Ah, to be young again....

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 11:24 p.m.

This would definitely be a huge pick up for the Utes. The Sparq Rating says this kid is a legit athlete. Henderson had the top score of 134.79.

TImpview high standout and BYU commit Colby Jorgensen is #8 on the list with a 126.84 rating.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 11:00 p.m.

The "battle" over Henderson is representative of the status Utah enjoys now as a PAC-12 member. The 30th highest ranked recruiting class to date. Of the 5-10 recruits Utah is still trying to sign they are also visiting Oregon, Michigan, USC, Pitt, Texas A&M, to name a few. These are NOT kids that claim those schools are interested in them (perhaps a form letter of introduction) but kids those schools are fighting to have vist them with less than 18 days until signing!!! And remember we have only been a PAC-12 school for 6 months!!! Keep an eye on developments these next two weeks!!!

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 10:47 p.m.

He says "I still consider myself a Utah recruit" and then he goes on another visit? A 90 percent chance of winning a national title? Are the Trojans still forbidden from bowl games? Not sure I would want that kid.

• ManBearPig Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 10:46 p.m.

NewMexicoUte - don't be fooled by the number of stars this kid got. My guess is you've not heard of the SPARQ rating (rates overall athleticism). Look it up and look up Henderson's SPARQ. It is the highest in the nation. Higher than Reggie Bush's was coming in to college. Higher than Tim Tebow's. This kid is definitely a top recruit.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 10:31 p.m.

LOL please that might actually be the most delusional post any ute "fan" has ever posted on here. Thanks for the absolute belly laugh! LOL

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 10:13 p.m.

They missed the part of the story where he has said previously that he would like to play away from home. We will see who he picks in a couple of weeks.

• NewMexicoUte Albuquerque, NM
    Jan. 17, 2011 9:40 p.m.

Let the competition begin on the recruiting front for the new Pac-12! And the 2011 season isn't even here yet. USC and UCLA are not just battling each other for bragging rights in the So Cal area, they are battling Utah even for a 3 star recruit and possibly even an offensive coordinator. Why would USC care about a 3 star interested/committed to Utah when they have committed 5 and 4 star recruits??? Utah is a threat to the new Pac-12, especially in the new South division. I have a feeling a new rivalry is brewing, and its not East of Utah or in Provo, but in So Cal. They are well aware of Utah's past success against the Pac-10 and two BCS bowl victories. They know what Utah is capable of and they aren't stupid. They will fight to keep Utah from becoming a national power in the Pac-12. Go UTES!

• livestrong Springville, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 9:33 p.m.

Wow, check out the entitlement issues. It's important that Utah show him a good time, because that's what SC did? Sounds like high maintenance.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Jan. 17, 2011 8:31 p.m.

He should stay at the u. He'll play at the u and ride the pine at SC...take a clue from Harvey.