Sports

BYU football: Cougars pursuing Joe DuPaix

Comments

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Jan. 14, 2011 5:12 p.m.

I don't know much about him. I have only become an avid football fan in recent years (I am still young), so I do not know many of the famous names. Needless to say I have never played the sport, either.

Here's my main concern after reading the article:

It says that he coached at Riverton High School. I graduated from there, and during my time there the football team won maybe 6 games total (I was in the marching band, so we went to all the home games). I really hope that if DuPaix was there at that time, the miserable team had nothing to do with him.

I do trust Bronco, and even if he makes a mistake, he can learn from it and improve.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 14, 2011 5:04 p.m.

You guys are too funny! BYU is not moving to an option style offense. With Heaps, Apo, Jacobsen and Hoffman; the ball with be in the air next year.

I'm just hoping DuPaix (or someone) can get our Tight Ends to contribute. Last year is the first year, in a long time, that we didn't have a stand out contributor at TE. It seems like they have potential, but it's time to see it on the field.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if our TEs contribute and our inexperienced D Backs can step in and perform, it could be a very special year.

• David Centerville, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Often it is all about who you know.

• ryan s glendale, az
    Jan. 14, 2011 3:40 p.m.

Were talking about a POSITION coach here, a position coach should know everything in the world there is to know about their position...not just football in general or strategy,etc... There are plenty of great coaches that don't have tons of actuall football playing experience, but most of them are head coaches/coordinators...not position coaches. While this guys might make a good OC or head coach somewhere, you'll have to come up with a pretty convincing argument (better than he spent a couple of years at cal poly) that this guy knows more about catching footballs and the position of WR than cahoon with 13 years CFL exp, and 5+ college...I really want to hear the argument please

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 2:39 p.m.

2020

It's difficult to compare QB rating for Heaps and Wynn since Heaps was thrown straight into the fire and split early games with Nelson; while Wynn spent half of his Freshman season learning Utah's offense before playing the last six games of the year.

Comparing last 6 games of their Freshman seasons and Wynn's Sophomore season:

Wynn-F 104-179, 1329 yds, 8 TD, 4 int, 130.75 rating
    Wynn-S 186-299, 2334 yds, 17 TD, 10 int, 139.85 rating
    Heaps 109-172, 1340 yds, 14 TD, 3 int, 152.19 rating

Utah fans weren't too happy with Wynn by the end of the season. Part of his drop off was the shoulder injury; part was better competition, but head-to-head

Wynn 13-30, 199 yds, 1 TD, 1 int, 103.39 rating
    Heaps 22-37, 228 yrds, 1 TD, 1 int, 114.74 rating

Don't forget, Heaps played most of the Utah game with a couple of broken ribs, so he wasn't at full strength either.

It'll be interesting to see how effective Wynn is coming back from shoulder surgery.

• draper dude Draper, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 2:30 p.m.

Maybe it's about blocking. Navy is fantastic with blocking the edge. It may toughen up the pansy cougar WR's too...

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Who said anything about BYU running the option. He is to be an inside receivers / tight ends coach.

By the way...hedgehogs are quieter than crickets.

hedgehogs

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Please enough about the option. The guy is a position coach and football is football!! Plus, Cal Poly threw the ball a lot when he was there.
    Also, I know Cahoon is a fine receiver and he might make a good coach, but since when does being a good player mean that you are going to be a good coach? Chip Kelly (HC for Oregon) didn't even play college football, guess he can't coach! Dupaix has years of coaching experience, Cahoon does not. Nuff said.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 1:38 p.m.

This is a great hire. He fits BYU, he has plenty of experience. He and Doman know each other and he can obviously recruit as Navy has been good and winning at Cal Poly is no easy task.

• IFJazzFan Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 14, 2011 1:23 p.m.

It seems that all the good coaches know each other. Must be good if him and Doman are friends. Better hire him.

My point is this...its all about who you know.

If they try to run the option at BYU next year I will quit watching. BYU is not an option team. They don't have option lineman. They don't have option backs. They Have Riley who can't stretch the field. Just say no to Riley.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Who cares who coaches so long as we beat Utah every year......

Wynn should get a scholarship from BYU....he is the best reason BYU will win the next 2 years!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 14, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Too bad that most of those games will result in a loss.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Dupaix may be a great coach, but it still seems like kind of a strange hire because his background is as an option quarterback and an offensive coach on teams that run the option. That's not to say he hasn't or isn't capable of learning new things and coaching a whole different style.

LonestarRunner:
    There is no question that Heaps is an amazing talent. Frankly, I'm excited to have Wynn come back. He'll be a junior, with lots of experience. Wynn had a higher QB rating than Heaps this year. Wynn's QB rating as a true freshman was higher than Heaps as well.

I hope you got your season tickets: Besides Utah: Central Florida, Utah St. San Jose, Idaho St, Idaho and New Mexico St.

I'm seeing: Montana St (snoozer), Washington, ASU, Oregon St., UCLA and Colorado. Our worst home schedules will always be as good as your best.

• Trickeration Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Why would we hire a coach whose entire career consist of running the option? From high school until now he has run the option. It's because Doman and Dupaix are high school buddies from Skyline. What should you do when a former Cougar sets the all time receiving record in the CFL? You HIRE HIM!! Someone please tell me that Ben Cahoon is going to be on the staff soon. I'd take Cahoon over Dupaix every day of the week and twice on Sunday! Come on Bronco.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 10:18 a.m.

YAWN

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 10:16 a.m.

UU32

Bronco is assembling a young, creative, energetic, and very cohesive staff that will relate very well to the players and be excellent recruiters. Less experienced, yes, but not less talented. Cahoon and Lewis are still in the mix, in fact Lewis is already on staff, officially in a different capacity than coaching, but positioned to move onto the coaching staff when coaching positions are finalized.

The most important factor for BYU and Utah offenses next season, however, is this:

BYU will have Heaps.

Utah will have Wynn.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Jan. 14, 2011 9:49 a.m.

UU32

Haha ... Are you serious? I can hardly imagine Bronco Mendenhall "reigning over" someone. That hardly seems to fit his personality.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Bronco is surrounding himself with young head coaches he can reign over. He won't get much push back from the staff he has assembled so far. All yes men. This puts the success of the program squarely on his shoulders even more than it has been in the past. He needs some more experience on the staff. Surprised he isn't going after some of the big BYU names that are apparently interested (Cahoon and Lewis come to mind).

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 8:18 a.m.

re: JMT

Um, no one said he was going to be the coordinator. Why would Dupaix getting hired mean that the offense was going to change to an option-style offense? That comment makes no sense at all. Besides, he is not going to be the QB coach. If you can coach, you can coach. I mean, if BYU's DB coach had come from a program that had run m,ostly man coverage, does that mean that when they hire him that he cannot coach zone coverage? Cmon.
    Futhermore, MOST coaches get hired because of networking/who they know. I am guessing that you have never coached at the high school or college level.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Joe was a proven winner with Southern Utah which ran the same style of Air Force offense that Skyline did. He was very successful in raising the program down there. I heard a lot about his success as a coach at Cal Poly too. I know Joe Dupaix has built an excellent reputation among coaches who have worked with him. That's how he has been able to leap frog into his current position at Navy. He has made is father very proud I know because of how he has matured. He is also fully aligned with the mission of BYU and a man of great faith. He would be a perfect fit for the staff that Coach Mendenhall is building.

• bulldog72 Holladay, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 6:48 a.m.

No inexperience there. Joe is a great coach. He was the Offensive Coordinator of a playoff team at Cal Poly, and they were a Top-5 offense in the country, which earned him the opportunity at Navy. He is also a great recruiter and because he has been around different parts of the country has a lot of connections (he has recruited some pretty good Utah kids back to Navy also).
    This would be a great pickup for BYU...even though as a Ute fan I kind of hope it doesn't happen - I don't want BYU getting better!

• JMT Springville, UT
    Jan. 14, 2011 5:32 a.m.

Coach is coach but...

Navy throws the ball about 10 times a game, and the quarterback runs the option. Are we saying that Jake Heaps is now going to run around the field like Michael Vick? Holy crud, 2011 is going to be a llllooooonnnnnggggggggg season, if so!

This smacks of almost nepotism. When the hire is not related but a long time personal friend it is called good ol boyism. Oh vey!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Jan. 14, 2011 12:44 a.m.

The coaching staff is very young a many positions. That can be good but it also represents a lack of experience.

However, there seems to be a network of friends building. That may help offset some inexperience.

Navy had a good year.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 10:12 p.m.

He is a brother to a friend.

His legacy runs deep and strong, just not in these parts.

Trust me...

An excellent pickup as far as coaching talent.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 9:50 p.m.

I've never heard of him. His Dad is a great coach but I really have no idea if this guy can coach. I guess we'll find out.

• SouthernCalCougarFan Irvine, Ca
    Jan. 13, 2011 7:32 p.m.

Coach DuPaix is a class act on and off the field. He would be a great pick up for the Cougars. His success at Navy speaks for itself. In fact, I would love to see him eventually take the QB coach duties from Doman.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Jan. 13, 2011 7:29 p.m.

For once, Hedgehog, I agree.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI