Sports

BYU basketball: Jimmer Fredette has college hoops world talking

Comments

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    Jan. 14, 2011 1:48 a.m.

Keep focused on one game at a time and stop talking about "going deep into the NCAA".

I dont see BYU going beyond 1 tournament win unless they get a very favorable ceding.

Also, I believe BYU will be lucky to split the regular conference games with SDSU. They might get swept.

Jimmer needs more help. Everyone (Abuo, Rodgers, post players) must do more for the "team" to be successful otherwise, a quality touranment team will load up on Jimmer with two tall athletic players and BYU will be sunk in that game.

• utahutesfanatic Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
    Jan. 14, 2011 1:27 a.m.

I can't stand BYU, but I don't care because Jimmer is the type of guy you want to see succeed. I hope he falls to the Jazz, hits his shots and shows the league what someone made of heart and not just athletic ability can do. I would rather see him succeed than 95% of NBA players. Go Utes and Go Jimmer, wherever you end up!

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Jan. 14, 2011 12:14 a.m.

I think Jimmer would fit well as a member of the Phoenix Suns. Give him a couple of years under the wing of Steve Nash. They are a lot alike.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 4:37 p.m.

This story was about a young man who is enjoying a good season and having fun. If some ESPN commentators want to make a prediction then let them, no one on the BYU team or BYU coaching staff made any final four predictions or any other prediction. Why do the BYU and Utah fans have to turn this story into an ugly conversation? Kudo's to Jimmer, Kudo's to the Utes when they went undefeated and beat Alabama. Kudo's to the Utes for making it to the PAC 10 and Kudo's to BYU for going independent, Kudos to Utah for having a phenomenal ladies gymnastics team...Its all good for the State of Utah...why make it ugly?

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 4:33 p.m.

I think it is sort of funny the Ute fans go to the past, since there is no future and obviously no present for Utes basketball.

I had to explain to my 16 year old nephew that "Yes" the Utes were good. He can't remember whan he was 2 and they were in the final 4. Think about that. Most kids in HS were not even born when the Utes made their last run. My nephew and his friends actually went online and checked it out. I gotta admit, those were some good Utes teams. Instead of jumping on BYU articles, you trolls might want to go online and re-live the glory days uncle Ricco style. Now get out there and give Jimmer a High-5!!!

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Jan. 13, 2011 3:31 p.m.

Well I am glad your out there to correct me brother. I am glad tds fans have included me, Chris B seems to get all the fun. Anyways good luck against SDSU. Yes good luck, I cant stand your fans but I do respect your sports teams. If Jimmers can get you to the finals and win the U's gots nothing on you, if you dont expect me to rub it in your face the rest of the year. Until then Go Utes!

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Jan. 13, 2011 2:30 p.m.

Utes21

"Like I said until Jimmers gets your team to Final Four then maybe you can talk smack with Fruit Heights cougar all your buddies that your team is legit until then keep dreaming."
    ././././.

And gee, the Utes got their license to talk smack just by getting a PAC invite, without BYU fans stipulating a NC, or a Heisman...

How did all that smack talk work out for you?

I hope you don't get offended, Utah21, but you're not the monitor of smack talk.

Me, I'm going to mention that Utah went from #5 to dropping out of the AP poll, that they were blown out of the Vegas Bowl by the WAC representative, and ended the season with an L, that Philander is not a Ute, that it's been 4 weeks since Utah has won a basketball game, including losses to WCC conference teams, that Tuesday night BYU set records on Utah's home court...

Do you want to know what is legit, Ute21? An education that includes instruction in the use of commas.

There's more, but I'm getting bored.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Wow what a night, that is a huge understatement. The smile on this kid's face say's it all. Jackson is smart enough to say when his team mate is hot and hitting the bottom of the net, keep dishin it off all night to the guy.

I am glad there is something to watch during the Football off season.

• CG Orem, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 1:35 p.m.

Utes21

"...and you think byu basketball is legit."

Not only do BYU fans think BYU basketball is legit, so do the national media.

Of course, you're welcome to your own crimson-colored glasses view of things, but that view is only shared by a miniscule, ever-shrinking few who are too blind to see greatest even when it's playing right in front of them.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Utes21 | 11:30 a.m. Jan. 13, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Ut
    "How I am bitter you have a couple of good years and you think byu basketball is legit.

===

Utes21, I was at the game. I will let that game do all the talking about whether or not BYU has a legit basketball program.

Meanwhile, you keep barking like the cute little puppy you want to be.

(Oh oh, there's the postal carrier. Ya better run quick if you want to catch them).

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 1:11 p.m.

BYU moved into Top 10 in the week's ESPN Power Rankings

Here's what ESPN had to say about the Cougs:

"Jimmer Fredette can lead the Cougars to a Stephon Curry-like Davidson run in March. But he has help with Jackson Emery. Fredette's 47 points were as entertaining a watch as we've seen from one player (even Kemba Walker's display in Maui) in a game this season. The Utes will long remember this output."

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 12:51 p.m.

As a matter of fact Utes21 BYU is getting another 5 star recruit from back East. Demarcus Harrison! South Carolina. Look him up.... May not be a Jimmer but you never know!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 13, 2011 12:49 p.m.

Love Jimmer. He's this generation's Pistol Pete Maravich. Maravich was a good NBA player, but was a fantastic college player.

Jimmer is a very tough offensive player who can and will score from everywhere. Outside, inside, underneath. He'll have a career in the NBA, perhaps as good as Ainge's was. Ainge couldn't play defense either. If you can shoot like Ainge and Jimmer did/do, well, you'll play NBA ball.

I could definitely see him in Boston.

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    Jan. 13, 2011 12:24 p.m.

I wouldn't compare Jimmer to Stockton. Stockton was much more of a hard-nosed defender and seemed to prefer making the assist to making the shot.

Jimmer is a better shotmaker.

Dick Vitale had already been giving props to Jimmer over the past weeks. When Jimmer hit that 40 footer to score 32 in the first half against Utah, that put BYU into the lead story slot on Sportscenter that evening. So for now it's Jimmermania, but let's hope it can continue after the San Diego State games and deep into the NCAA tournament.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 12:09 p.m.

"You will see the Runnin Utes improve..."

Yeah, that's what we heard after last season when half the team quit and Boylen launched the JC Transfer Project.

Face it; Utah isn't even good enough to get into the CBI anymore.

as for future prospects:

BYU has Rose (80% winning percentage).

Utah has Boylen (50% winning percentage).

MWC bottom dweller or PAC 12 bottom dweller really won't feel any different after a couple of seasons.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Jan. 13, 2011 11:30 a.m.

How I am bitter you have a couple of good years and you think byu basketball is legit. How many many time has byu gotten past the second round at the tourney lets see..... okay I will answer that for you none. How many times has Utah lets see 15 times big difference!
    Like I said until Jimmers gets your team to Final Four then maybe you can talk smack with Fruit Heights cougar all your buddies that your team is legit until then keep dreaming. You will see the Runnin Utes improve, and to my friend talking about the recruits, what recruits? You got one dude from UCLA who else? Are you getting a another Jimmered from back east?

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Utes21

Sounds like you're an expert on fan clubs.

Just the thought of kissing that Beaker poster of yours, however, makes me... well, I don't want to spoil your happy bedtime ritual.

Enjoy!

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Utes21

Just another bitter Utah fan who hasn't had anything to cheer for since the sweater left.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Jan. 13, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Nope but it looks like it bothers you. Good luck jimmered fan club continue to kiss his poster before you go to bed.

• WinSum Rexburg, ID
    Jan. 13, 2011 9:30 a.m.

The thing I really enjoy about Jimmer, he's just an "ah shucks" kind of guy that appears rather humble. Personally, I grow tired of all the chest thumping and finger pointing and......

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 9:17 a.m.

If discussing greatness bothers you so much, Utes21, I would suggest getting a good book and curling up in a cocoon until March Madness is over.

Jimmer Mania is just getting started and it's going to be impossible to avoid for the rest of the season.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Jan. 13, 2011 8:08 a.m.

Jimmer!!!!! Jimmer doesnt follow twitter, He is already following you. Jimmer doesnt wear a watch. He decides what time it is. Jimmer can kill two stones with one bird. 911 calls for Jimmer. Ancestors of Brigham Young just gave permission to school officials to rename the school Jimmer Fredette University. Superman wears Jimmer jammies to bed. Jimmer has more man crushes from tds fans then female students. Justin Beiber cries him self to sleep every night knowing Jimmer is better.
    Wait what has he done in the NCAA tourney again won a game? Has he gotten to the Final Four yet? Has he even played one minute in the NBA? But people are honestly comparing him to John Stockton? Umm until he does those things maybe then you can start saying those things. Until then let the Jimmer love continue.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Jan. 13, 2011 6:43 a.m.

Jimmer may or may not make it in the NBA (I'm betting that he'll have a John Stockton-like career), but we have him to watch now as a great college player and , as a BYU fan, I can't wait for the next game. Too small? Too slow? Too un-athletic?Talk to the best defensive player on every team BYU has played and ask them. People who buy tickets to see NBA games will pay to see Jimmer Fredette "light 'em up." Bet on it.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 12:24 a.m.

Well Duh (relax). Only one time John Stockton really did raise his arms up and dance around after he hit that famous Uh Oh by Bill Walsh when he swished on Houston to NBA final to face Chicago Bulls.

Jimmer would do the same if he gets to where he wants to be but March is not here yet.

He is a fun player to watch but don't forget Jackson Emery bring a lot of energy to this team.

• skiutah American Fork, Utah
    Jan. 12, 2011 11:12 p.m.

Great article on Jimmer...he's going to have a bright future.

Locke is a joke. Not only do I not like his game calling abilities, but his analysis of players and team play is terrible.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 9:55 p.m.

I hope BYU fans realize that a treasure they have this year.. this time next year you won't be able to see him in a cougar uniform tossing down the 3's at the Marriot Center. Enjoy it, treasure it, relish it!

Jimmer brings exposure to BYU, the state of Utah and college basketball in general!

Good luck Jimmer!

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 8:42 p.m.

Re: Chrissy B, What only CRICKETS'S Its so funny to hear nothing but Cricket's LOLOLOL !

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 8:40 p.m.

Fredette is a lot of fun to watch. I can't believe some of the stuff that he makes up while penetrating to the basket! Glad to see him getting respect and recognition nationwide!

When I read the article, I couldn't help but be glad we are almost through with the Mountain West conference along the Wasatch Front.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Jan. 12, 2011 7:53 p.m.

Adrian Dantley was too small to play power forward in the NBA.

Jerry Rice was too slow to play WR in the NFL.

Sam Bowie was selected ahead of Michael Jordan in the draft.

Alex Smith was the #1 draft pick.

Professional leagues are filled with players who weren't good enough and littered with players who didn't measure up.

Jimmer will be drafted in the first round. It'll then be up to Jimmer to prove all of the naysayers wrong.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 7:01 p.m.

Fun player to watch because of his desire, skill, and focus on the game.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 6:50 p.m.

Jimmer is one inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Deron Williams whose game Mr. Fredette follows closely. That may be a big difference----- he'll make millions either in NBA or in Europe. I do want to see David Locke eat his words though; after Jimmer's junior season, Locke said he had definitely no NBA future, and I thought, "How can you say that after a junior season?" He may make it and he may not; Locke is biased against him for some reason, I don't know why, he has just never agreed with all the positive things all other NBA scouts are saying.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Jan. 12, 2011 6:39 p.m.

Jimmer reminds me of another player by the name of John Stockton. He was a humble man who just played his game. Even when Jimmer hit his three point swish from the half court line last night, he didn't throw up his arms, give out a yell and act stupid. All he did was turn around and head back to the locker room. John was the same way, he never looked for glory, he just came to play the game he loved. Go Jimmer, I hope you can make it at the next level.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 6:13 p.m.

Listen to the interview. He is modest, well spoken and polite. If you add that to his basketball prowess, he is simply stellar.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 5:14 p.m.

This is great! All Jimmer, Jackson, and BYU. No criticism. How sweet it is. 104 points! Go Cougars!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Jan. 12, 2011 5:09 p.m.

Nice job, Jimmer!

GO COUGARS!

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 4:45 p.m.

My wife is not that big a sports fan, but every time Jimmer is on I keep hitting the replay button on my Tivo and calling her in to see what he did -- and she hustles in to see it. Now we are BOTH Jimmer fans. The wow factor with this kid is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• FireHawk Aurora, CO
    Jan. 12, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Impressive player...I would really like to watch him play...gee thanks MWC and GOODBYE MWC!!!!

Maybe I can see him in March.

Good job Jimmer.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 12, 2011 4:27 p.m.

Political correctness keeps many at ESPN from giving BYU and Jimmer proper credit.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 4:11 p.m.

Nice- I paticularly liked the thing about a bad TV deal- thankfully some of that is resolved next year and into the future- sadly not in time to give Jimmer a little more exposure- playter of the year is about exposure as much as it is about numbers- good luck Jimmer and keep putting up 40+ and the numbers might just get you past the exposure

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 4:07 p.m.

"Jones criticized the relative obscurity of Mountain West Conference games due to the conference's television contracts. But he said that shouldn't stop viewers.

"Get out in front of the masses, upgrade your cable package and buy whatever version of the Home Shopping channel is showing his next game," Jones wrote."

THIS is exactly WHY BYU is leaving the MWC!

If this were happening next year in the WCC, EVERY BYU game from now to the end of the season would be shown live on ESPN - GUARANTEED!

And, any fan in the world could watch replays of every game Fredette played on BYUtv in HD.

(Didn't the MTN promise that every game would be broadcast in HD?)

Fortunately, Heaps won't have to worry about lack of exposure when he starts setting the college football world abuzz.

btw, this year's Arizona and Hawaii games are both available for replay on BYUtv.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Jan. 12, 2011 4:02 p.m.

As a coug fan, this is extraordinary. However, do bring people back to earth, he did this against Utah. There are Jr Jazz teams that could beat the U. And 22 turnovers...? At the end of the game it was as if they were handing the ball to Jimmer.

Either way, we're lovin the Jimmi-chocolate experience.

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 3:56 p.m.

Remember those conversations about the "mission" of the school and the exposure that sports can bring to the church.

Brother Fredette serving up a big slice of "exposure pie".