Sports

Comments

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 8:31 p.m.

Jimmered!

• ChrisB Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Still being hijacked... Not going to stop battling for this...

Want the Utes to win? YES

Likely the Utes will win? NO

Is BYU the better team this year? YES

Does BYU have a better head coach? BY FAR, YES!

Go Utes. Hang in there and continue battling.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 3:17 p.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

The only difference is that BYU was sitting on the waiting list for the Bottom 10 after the 1-4 start.

To climb from the bottom end of the spectrum into the upper end of the spectrum just shows how far the team progressed throughout the season.

May that progression carry on straight forward into next year and football independence!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Jan. 11, 2011 2:23 p.m.

But Utah is so gosh-darn good. They played kentucky for the championship a few years ago...until they forgot to play for the final 20 minutes.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 11, 2011 1:42 p.m.

I wonder how "relevant" a team that lost the only NCAA tournament game they've played in the last five years should be considered.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 12:40 p.m.

It's pointless to argue with utahcountyute because he'll always find some obscure stat, regardless of how irrelevant, to support his crimson-glasses colored view of reality.

Don't bother trying to convince him that the current season are the MOST RELEVANT measures of current relevancy.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 12:32 p.m.

Cosmo, Utah also has votes too!!!

It's a win win...

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 11:52 a.m.

@ UCntyUte

No, I wasn't looking for any validation from you or anyone else.

You had made the claim that BYU wasn't relevant nationally.

Everything in the article and in their current season speaks otherwise.

Your answer is "no."

Tells me all I need to know about you.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 11:43 a.m.

Check out ESPN's final football rankings!

BYU has votes!

Great finish to the season. Way to finish strong.

Go BYU Hoops! Win one up in SLC!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 10:54 a.m.

@ Jaydee

"Do you still lay claim that BYU has no national relevance in basketball after reading this article?"

Are you looking for validation from a Ute fan? lol

OK, even after reading this article I would still say that byu "has no national relevance in basketball" yet.

If you look at that byu team that reached the high mark of #3 in the country in 1988, they were blown out in the round of 32 by Louisville.

There is hope though. Get to atleast the sweet 16 this year and you might have a better argument. Sorry, but that is how I would judge "national relevance".

I hope that makes you feel better.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Chris B | 11:50 a.m. Jan. 10, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

And it all came crashing down....

-------------------------------------
    Well, if anyone knows about "crashing down", its Chris B and the utes football team.

Misery loves company.

BYU may very well move up somemore, or, after a couple tough loses they may move down a few spots. Regardless of where they end up, it will be fun to watch my team in the NCAA tournament.

How about you, Chris B? Are you looking forward to watching your team in the NCAA Tournament?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 11, 2011 12:18 a.m.

I was surprised toread that Chris Collingsworth is going to need Arthroscopic Knee surgery...If that's the case, I am thinking that he should have had it a couple of days after the Fresno-Pacific game, not 2 weeks after....

My experience is that it takes about 6 weeks to be out on the floor again after the surgery, and then probably a coupleof weedks after that to be close to your previous competive level.

He should have had the surgery last week and already be in rehab.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 11, 2011 12:12 a.m.

Rankings and past accomplishments don't much matter when it comes to rivalry games... Emotion can do funny things to the psyche of good players...

I expect Utah to play one of their best games of the season in front of their fans on their home court and it is is going to take a good strong effort on the part of BYU to beat these guys...

Good Coaches and talented players know that they can'tget al caught up in the hoop-lah... They simply have to go out, bring their normal high tenacity to the court, play good defense and run (play their game)... Or, take care of business and then they should like the results.

• OU812 Layton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2011 12:00 a.m.

RE: Cooldude
    Not too hard to figure out, SDSU sweeps, UNLV wins in Provo and a loss in the PIt. Not that far fetched. Not to mention most likely another game with either SDSU or UNLV in the tourney. Could very well end up with 7-9 if NM jells and BYU drops one against a lower level game on the road. Who really knows?

• iamyourfather provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 11:10 p.m.

Ill be rooting for the yewts in the mwc play-in game, it will give us another shot at them. Destroying them wont get old.

• cooldude provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 11:03 p.m.

Are you kidding me Chris!?!?!?!
    end up losing 5 games?? who has a chance of beating us besides san diego st?

• Chris_B San Antonio, TX
    Jan. 10, 2011 10:59 p.m.

@Belgie - well said about my extremely poor choice of source material in the SI article. l too, like that biased writer, will eventually have to recant.

• Herbie Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 10:45 p.m.

"Chris B | 7:57 p.m. Dec. 22, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I stick by my prediction:

Utah 34
    Boise 24"

******************************
    Just keep em comin Chris.

• Chris_B San Antonio, TX
    Jan. 10, 2011 10:44 p.m.

And they just keep rising in the polls...

BYU 80
    Utah 50

Only the Cougars show up!

• Dave from Taylorsville Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 8:45 p.m.

Chris B. aside. . .

His comment about the MUSS (Mighty Utah Student Section) showing up.

I went to the UNLV up at RES and I saw the MUSS. It's one section, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the east side of the stadium. . . At LES at BYU, the Student "Section" is pretty much the whole east side of the stadium!!!

Get a grip and life Chris and you Yewts.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Chris B | 4:25 p.m. Jan. 10, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Seth Davis(Sports Illustrated)

Stock Report on ybu: Sell

Enough said
    ===

Wonder what the report was on Utah...

If you own it, what were you thinking???

Go Utes... Go Away... The PAC is not far enough away from Utah... Go Russian Colligiate League... Win a game, then talk...

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 5:41 p.m.

CordonBleu

I was at the game on Saturday like all BYU games but BYU sold out a game that the upper bowl was a $1.00. That is a joke that we need that to determine wether we sell out a game or not. On the other hand Utah is a joke I will give you that much, but just remember that BYU fans don't all show up either. Every game this year should have been a sell out. I remember when Ainge played and Chosic and they were always sold out.
    Today I got 9 tickets for my closest friends and will be at the Game in our Blue, I just hope that we get a bunch more BYU fans and sell their place out. There were a bunch of people at the ticket office buying them when I was there. Come on BYU fans pick up the rest of the tickets. BYU fans are sitting in sec. cc and dd.

• ltsoccer1 somewhere, ut
    Jan. 10, 2011 5:38 p.m.

Byu has been playing very well lately and i think that they will beat utah super easy and they will beat san diego state also but not as easily as utah

• Commontater Lehi, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Isn't it interesting that ChrisB is only supporting the UTES if there is a potential that they will win? I hav also wondered if ChrisB a relative sampling of all Utah fans and that's why they don't show up to support their team? What a fan base.

Why is ChrisB even posting on this BYU article. I did notice that Utah doesn't even show up on the radar screen. What's up with that?

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Jan. 10, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Only a jealous Ute troll would be writing off this season "as the height of BYU's basketball success," with half the season still left to be played.

Jimmer is just getting started. Sit back and enjoy getting Jimmered tomorrow night.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 5:20 p.m.

OK, so I will show at the game, with my three bodyguards to protect me from Chris B and his thugs. My neice that goes to BYU, and my 80 year old parents. My wife is a U alum, and is too embarassed to go.

We will be wearing Blue in the lower bowl (I have friends in the U athletic Department)....

Come find us, and throw free beer our way. Love that stuff...

• AribaD Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 5:16 p.m.

Chris B. wrote: In all seriousness, I think Utah has a 30% chance to win this game. There is a good enough chance that I'm going to the game.

-------
    Well, you lady, now your true colors come out. You are not a Utah fan. You are a BYU hater. Get a life.

• belgie Tualatin, OR
    Jan. 10, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Chris B - not even close to "enough said". You must not have noticed when that stock report was written, or perhaps even read the rest of what Davis said.

"BYU might well be a sweet 16-caliber team, but [they] have done little to justify their ranking...BYU will drop a few games, perhaps as early as Wednesday when the Cougars play at UNLV."

The very same Seth Davis ate a little slice of humble pie this week when he was finally forced to include BYU in his top-25 ballot - moving them from unranked all the way to #15. He even managed to bring himself to add a few other nice comments about BYU, Fredette, and Emery.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 5:12 p.m.

@Mountanman

No need to worry as christina won't even be at the game and is not old enough to buy beer. He is a typical ute "fan" in that he really isn't a fan at all. He is a pathetic hater with an inferiority complex sitting in his parents basement pounding on a key board. He isn't allowed out late enough to go to the game and doesn't ave an friends to go with even if he did. Then of course he would never go to a game that is a guarnateed loss.

My guess is that he, wedgie and howard will all be sitting at home, watching on tv until the utes are down by double digits 3 minutes into it then all 3 will turn it back over to the disney channel to watch iCarly.

Mark it down. LOL

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 10, 2011 4:28 p.m.

Chris B., please don't throw beer on me or curse out my wife and children, again!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 10, 2011 4:26 p.m.

I've often stated, Cris B. thinks narrowly and with bias. The jury is back with the evidence, guilty as charged. Sentencing will be watching the utes defeated in basketball by the cougars. Sentencing will be carried out this coming tuesday. Sorry bout that! No 30% about this.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Seth Davis(Sports Illustrated)

Stock Report on ybu: Sell

Enough said

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 4:17 p.m.

JustinTime,

You should stop before you sound even more foolish.

A 2 seed is possible?

Did you forget you're talking about byu.

This team is not as good as last year's, and like last year, you are only second best(at best) in the conference.

tds will have some rough games, end up losing 5 games, not win the conference tournament, get a #10 seed, cry about the #10 seed and say you are pikced on, and not advance past the second round.

I'll keep reminding you as long as you keep sputtering nonsense. yBu does not have the ATHLETES to be among the nation's best. A #2 seed would mean you are among the nation's best.

There is a greater chance I switch sides of the rivalry than you getting a #2 seed.

Dream on brother

• nielsen American Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Unbelievable Chris B., you have to comment on every BYU article don't ya, I think you are getting a little too obsessed if I might add.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 4:13 p.m.

@ UtahCountyUte

I know you haven't posted, yet; however, I know you read these.

Simple question (yes/no) I'd like you to answer:

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 4:07 p.m.

The fat Lady is not singing yet. However, BYU should win going away, but to avoid the shoulda, coulda, woulda scenario bring it utes and let's battle it out on the hard wood.

The Cougars are exciting to watch and I like the scrappy play of Jackson Emery sort of a " pit bull " mean streak. IMUA Brada !

Poly Cougar Nation

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 3:59 p.m.

veritas,

Don't get too excited. I still think it's hilariously pathetic that at the height of byu basketball you have one ncaa win.

Last year's team was better than this year's team, as Haws and LLoyd were decent players.

And how great was last year?

No conference championship
    No conference tournament championship
    One NCAA win

I've said it before and I'll say it again - byu does not have the ATHLETES needed to ever be amongst the best in football or basketball. You have sunday school boys who pretend to be athletes once or twice a week.

Yes, Utah ball is down lately. But it's again hilariously pathetic that we all know the next team from Utah to make a serious run in the NCAA tournament will be Utah. Just like the last team to do so was Utah.

And the next team to make a run for a football championship will be Utah.

Just like the last team to make a run was Utah.

And like the team before that was Utah.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 3:45 p.m.

Here are the National Rankings for a few important stats:

Points per game: BYU 9th (83.7) Utah 159th (70.4)

Rebs per game: BYU 14th (41.1) Utah 137th (36.4)

Ast per game BYU 56th (15.2) Utah 331st (10.1)

FG%: BYU 90th (.457) Utah 204th (.431)

These stats do not bode well for the utes. But, just like chrisb says "anything can happen in the rivalry". He is right, but chances are the Cougs run away with this one easily.

I expect a 20+ point victory for the boys in blue.

"You-got-Jimm-ered! clap clap, clap clap clap

• JustintimeY Boise, Id
    Jan. 10, 2011 3:35 p.m.

The cougars are playing for NCAA seeding every game. SI.Com has BYU as a 3 seed today and Espn and CBS sports have them at a 4. At either a 4 or a thee they have a good chance to advance to the sweet 16. As long as they don't fall to a 5 seed they have a great chance for advancement if they keep playing well. It would be good for BYU if San Diego does not loose before the January 26th show down. If BYU can find a way to win that game and win the conference regular season a 2 seed is possiable.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 3:11 p.m.

Congrats Chris B...

I mean this in a good way. I knew that deep down inside, there was a guy who was not an idiot...

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 3:06 p.m.

oh Chris B... the inversion induced smog up on the hill is affecting your thinking. It will be a Jimmer of a game on Tuesday. If you're going to be there you'll want to bring a brown paper bag with you and use it to hide your face as you leave.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Chase,

Come to the game tomorrow. I'll be the guy in the red.

We played a very improved game against San Diego, the #6 team in the country. Why couldnt we compete with byu? San Diego is much more athletic than ybu.

Should byu be favored? Yes

Do I think Utah can win? Yes

No - don't mark this one down, as a win is not expected.

But, I wouldnt be surprised to see it either. Anything can happen in the rivalry.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Jan. 10, 2011 2:43 p.m.

The Utes will be up for this game and if they can get an early lead, anything can happen. The only way this game doesn't sell out is if Utah fans are scared or embarrased.

Go Cougs - BYU by 25. (not a prediction, just a simple wish)

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Go Cougs, Go Jimmer!

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 2:27 p.m.

BYU losing to a deadbeat team would be a massive upset and not representative of either teams' talent. If you really think it will happen, you're the kind of person who thinks a lottery ticket is a good investment for your pension plan.

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 2:19 p.m.

TexasAg

Polls are opinions and we all know what opinions are like.

I'm more impressed with our RPI of 2, our Sagarin of 4 and our Kenpom of 12. No bias in these, just the facts.

Looking forward to my first trip to the HC and more exciting BYU basketball.

• Zed Orem, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Cougar fan here, and pretty much think Chris B is almost always wrong. He's got a track record Hamilton Berger would be proud of. (you youngsters better google it)

But that's beside the point. I've watched Utah this year and they have good athletes. Bad coaching, but good players. That's why I think anything could happen in this game.

I've watched BYU a long, long time including having higher-ranked teams than this one. One thing they cannot do, and are almost never good enough to do, is take the night off. Some teams have the raw talent level such that they can coast much of the time and still pull out the "W". I don't think that's the case with BYU. They have to come out with intensity and put this thing away early. Go cougars.

• TexasAg Humble, TX
    Jan. 10, 2011 1:51 p.m.

I probably think this rating is mostly the result of BYU having pretty good seasons overall. I would probably put them around 15-20 to be honest because I don't believe in a team that relies so heavily on just one player.
    But the record speaks for itself. As much as I hate seeing this type of ranking for BYU, I do have to say, the ranking is justified, in my opinion, just a few spots too high.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 1:48 p.m.

BYU #10 Coaches, #11 AP, #2 RPI
    Jimmer ESPN National Player of the Week

Just keep winning, Cougars, and the national accolades will take care of themselves.

It's pretty telling when the team on the hill has to encourage its "mighty" student section to show up for BYU.

The Cougars drew 22,700 for Air Force.

The Utes couldn't get 6,000 to show up for SDSU.

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Rankings come and rankings go, but for the time being, it's great to see BYU's name all over national basketball headlines!

Grats Cougs! Really looking forward to the game on Jan. 26!!

• Chase Saint George, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 1:23 p.m.

Encouraging the "MUFF" . . . or "MUSS" to show up to the rivalry game exudes endless confidence in your team's fans.

Chris B, Me and some of the guys would love to meet you sometime . . .

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 10, 2011 1:19 p.m.

@merich39:

You're a class guy. I'm a Cougar.

Like I have said before, when Utah was down in San Jose playing in the West Regionals years ago I was there in person wearing a Utah t-shirt rooting for VanHorn, Doleac, Andre Miller, and the boys.

Tomorrow night I will be pulling for the Cougars.

(Don't say anything to Chris B or hedgehog)

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Polls don't matter. The mwc champ is the most important right now. Those polls, rpi, sos yada yada will take place later who and where will be playing at.
    Go COUGARS and BYU fans go buy tickets for tomorrow night game.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Isn't this ranking marvelous? Look out Duke.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Hawkeye79:

"This ranking is a great indicator of how BYU is playing now. BYU's record validates their status as one of the elite programs in the country."

They certainly are playing like an elite program. I'm loving it. That said, let us develop a consistent track record in basketball before we start calling ourselves elite. I just don't think we are there yet.

• merich39 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:31 p.m.

I'm a U fan. but I'm not one of those who cheer for the U and "any team that plays the Y". I realize that other than the U - BYU game itself, what's good for the Y is good for the state of Utah and the conference and the U. so go BYU! if this isn't the U's year in basketball, then here's hoping the Y can carry the state and conference to the final four.

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:20 p.m.

It's also nice to see so many of BYU's opponents receiving top 25 votes (most of which were road wins for the Cougars).

Keep up the impressive play, Cougars! It says a lot when the only thing critics can do is throw out wishful predictions.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:18 p.m.

The ranking is nice and Tues. should be a win if both teams play to their ability- but there is a reason the games are played- also rankings are nice but since basketball actually has a playoff- I will take seeding over ranking any day- right now if we are seeded as ranked life will be nice- but it is more likely we will be seeded with the same number we are curently ranked- that will not be nice

• Toonces the Cat Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Come on Utes. We just need to try harder. I have faith in Boylen. He is a rad coach. I just hope more players don't transfer this week.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:09 p.m.

70 might be the number of MUSS members who show up, but I fully expect 40 to 50 times 58 BYU fans at the HC tomorrow night.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Well, I dont see that happening Chris B, but, I also remember being at BYU when they went way up in the rankings (Michael Smith, Andy Toolson days); they did come crashing down then. I just hope they can keep it going, one game at a time.

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:05 p.m.

BYU is going to win this next game, regardless of how much by, BYU is going to win.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Rank Team Rating High Low Last
    2 BYU (15-1) 0.674 1 197 1
    176 Utah (6-9) 0.492 84 257 173

Chris is right. It would be embarassing...

Probably closer to

BYU 78
    Utah 50

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 11:50 a.m.

And it all came crashing down....

Utah 70