Readers' forum: Bennett ousting wrong

• radically_independent Orem, Utah
    Dec. 30, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Charles....really, I am Democrat.... good to know. I was wondering..... do need to go back and change some of my votes then!

To your challenge.... lets start with

"We believe that religion is instituted of God; and that men are amenable to him, and to him only, for the exercise of it, unless their religious opinions prompt them to infringe upon the rights and liberties of others; but we do not believe that human law has a right to interfere in prescribing rules of aworship to bind the consciences of men, nor dictate forms for public or private devotion; that the civil magistrate should restrain crime, but never control conscience; should punish guilt, but never suppress the freedom of the soul."

Discussing issues with someone as open minded as Uncle Chuck and his alter ego @Charles is as pointless as talking to a wall.

Totally pointless.

I'm a democrat. Who knew? And Bennett was too... good to know.

When you are ready to listen, yes I am ready to discuss this. But since your in the business of telling everyone else what they believe, you already know everything so it would be..... pointless.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    Dec. 30, 2010 12:49 p.m.

@Dukie: Look in the mirror pal. Do you not self reflect very often? You should.

And btw, you still never have put forward your beliefs, eternal principles on which those beliefs are founded and how they should be accepted by society.

Just more condemnation from you about what you don't like.

@radically_unindependent closet_open_Democrat:

I don't know of anyone who says any party is right on all issues: except the Dems on these threads.

So, thanks for posting the policy of politics by the LDS church. Maybe you can take a stab at answering how the Dem policies and platform are aligned with the gospel principles? None of your fellow LDS Dems can do it. Then just keep telling us what they don't like....

Are you up for it "radically_independent"?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 30, 2010 9:25 a.m.

Charles - Here is why I am independent

I own many guns, but I am for responsible ownership.

I was adopted, I am anti-abortion. The main argument should be in getting people to act responsibly in the first place. Sometimes abortions are appropriate, and I for one don't want the responsibility of deciding that for others.

I travel the world a lot, and am aware of the dangers out there. Therefor I am pro-defense. But I am against sweat heart single source deals that Chaney's Haliburton got.

I am pro-enterprise. But I am also pro responsible business. I don't think having rules of engagement makes business uncompetitive any more than rules in sports make them uncompetitive

I don't like lying - from either side. And there is plenty of spinning and selective fact presentation done on both sides. Both sides create there own truth to support their agendas.

I firmly don't believe any party should have a litmus test or purity test. This country was created on the idea of changing the status quo. I have no desire to return to 1790 law and the rights it limited.

Variety creates balance and Moderation

• radically_independent Orem, Utah
    Dec. 29, 2010 8:47 p.m.

Uncle Charles ( and @Charles I am assuming ),

The Church's official policy states,

"The Church expects its members to engage in the political process in an informed and civil manner, respecting the fact that members of the Church come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and may have differences of opinion in partisan political matters."

"Elected officials who are Latter-day Saints make their own decisions and may not necessarily be in agreement with one another or even with a publicly stated Church position. While the Church may communicate its views to them, as it may to any other elected official, it recognizes that these officials still must make their own choices based on their best judgment and with consideration of the constituencies whom they were elected to represent."

If the church practices this basic principle, why is it so many members choose to stand in judgement of their fellow members?

I personally think members should not pledge to any party, rather vote for individuals and policies that as you say are in agreement with gospel principles. No one party is right on all issues - none.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Dec. 29, 2010 6:48 p.m.

I've known Senator Bennett for over fifty years and have followed his career with interest. I haven't always agreed with him but I have found him to be a gentleman always. He lost and that's part of being a politican. He'll get over it and do very well in whatever he chooses to do next. What disturbs me is the vicious and mean spirited way some people have personally attacked this fine man. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 29, 2010 6:44 p.m.

Wow. This is the level of respect fellow Republicans and many who are fellow members treat someone they disagree with. It says mountains about the level of respect these ommentors have for others.

You can disagree, debate points.... But you don't have to lower your standards how you treat your fellow brothers and sisters. In a previous post someone pointed out you would know the true church by it's fruits ( and members ). I must admit some of my fellow church members here aren't helping their point much here with their comments.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    Dec. 29, 2010 5:16 p.m.

@LDS Lib claims, "The LDS General Authoriies are VERY concerned about the imbalance of GOP power here in Utah."

Do you have citation for this VERY outrageous comment?

But let's go with it...so, based on what you state, they are VERY concerned about the imbalance of Donkey power in the NorthEast, CA, IL, OR, New Orleans etc, right?

I'm sure you have support for those conclusions as well.

Will look forward to reading your documentation LDS Lib...

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    Dec. 29, 2010 5:02 p.m.

@LDS Lib: It doesn't matter what you think about the PEOPLE voting for Lee and Bennett on a ballot box. The only vote that mattered was the one that was cast at the convention from the people who were duly elected to represent their precincts to represent the Republican Party.

Again, duly elected to vote for the party nomination.

Bennett used to be a huge fan of the convention right up until it ousted him. There was nothing sinister about it. There was nothing extreme about it just because you don't like the politics of those who voted him out.

I'd say from the many posts that I've seen of yours, you are a Socialist/Communist and that's pretty extreme.

Almost all of your posts are hateful, vile and with a nastiness to them that I wonder about your heart rate.

You hate everything Conservative, Republican, AMRadio, Beck, etc etc.

But what none of you Dems have ever posted is what your beliefs are, what principles they stand on and why you believe that way. For you LDS folks, you've never ever equated your Dem policies with the gospel.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 4:44 p.m.

Uncle Charles | 3:46 p.m. Dec. 29, 2010
    Where Freedom And Liberty Reign, Utah
    @LDS Lib: Bennett was ousted by those who disagreed with his voting record; nothing more, nothing less.

Is it extreme to vote for someone who is more in line with your politics or should we just continue to vote for the guy in office?

No - I think that IF Senator Bennett and Mike Lee had run against each other in a Primary election with the PEOPLE, that Senator Bennett would have been shown to be the will of the PEOPLE, not political clicks and minority interests within the Party.

BTW - I'm not a Republican, just someone on the outside with a little clearer view on reality.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    Dec. 29, 2010 3:46 p.m.

I think you are simplistic in your gospel knowledge and politics. You say that the Tea Party is a bunch of vigilantes and equate them to people who butchered, murdered, raped, stole from the early Mormons?

And the censors at the Dnews published your comment? Maybe they didn't understand what you were actually saying.

@Gus: maybe we should all all Americans to vote on every issue before Congress. Afterall, why should 535 people decide for over 300 million, right? Do we really have the right 535 in office to make such huge decisions for all of us?

@MormonDem: maybe you should talk to Obama about the politics of fear and extremism. You should also counsel, MSNBC, DailyKos, HuffPost, Moveon.org, Soros, Behar, Maher, all the network news, NYT and a few others.

The church also told people to stay in their own countries and build them up from within. Cheers!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 3:19 p.m.

madison | 2:31 p.m. Dec. 29, 2010
    Magna, UT
    To: "madison".

Never have I heard the LDS authorities speak in such a way,nor have they spoken against the DEMOCRATIC Party Movement, nor characterised it as extreme. They have, contrariwise, supported principles of freedom.

See how that works.

Furthermore, you might want to read more.
    It thwarts any balance in the political process which fuels political extremeism.

Senator Bennett was "outted" due to political pureists extremeists of a single party system.

No balance.

• madison Magna, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 2:31 p.m.

To: "LDS Liberal".

The presidents and scriptures of the LDS Church have taught the divinity of the U.S. Constitution, and that we should vote for "good, wise and honest men", uphold the Constitution of the land, and should oberve to do our business by the voice of the people.

Bennett was not an honest man when he continued to seek re-election after promising he would not do so, neither did he observe to do his business by the voice of the people.

Further, in any statement I have read by Mr Bennett, I have never seen a clear statement that promotes or extols the Constitution of the land, and I can vouch for the fact that he would never address the Constitution at all with any member of my family but only suggested that document was one which "evolved" and that he understood such things, but the people did not, nor had they all the information".

Never have I heard the LDS authorities speak in such a way,nor have they spoken against the Tea Party Movement, nor characterised it as extreme. They have, contrariwise, supported principles of freedom.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 12:36 p.m.

You gotta love the duplicity of the posters with names like, "Liberal LDS" and "Mormon Dem"... They denounce Mormons as weak minded and only do what their leaders tell them to do, and they put down posters who try to speak for the Church... Then THEY go and do the same thing (telling us what the Church preaches we should do).

They decry this practice UNLESS you are posting something about LDS leaders telling the members of the Church that DEMOCRATS get everything right, or post that LDS leaders are encouraging the membership to support DEMOCRAT positions.... Then and ONLY then... they want you to listen to your leaders and just do what your leaders say.

Weird how it's TERRIBLE to follow LDS Leaders MOST of the time... but when these posters think they can convince you that your leaders want you to support DEMOCRATS.. All of a suddenly they are, "Don't question, just do what we told you your leaders preach"... advocates.

Such inconsistency.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 12:15 p.m.

MormonDem | 11:34 p.m. Dec. 28, 2010
    Provo, UT

Bravo MormonDem!!!

Cut & Paste.
    to be used in our next FHE.

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 11:34 p.m.

The LDS Church has recently preached, over and over again, against "the politics of fear and rhetorical extremism that renders civil discussion impossible." I can't think of a better description of the Lord-of-the-Flies atmosphere at the GOP State Convention, or a better description of the Fox News/Glenn Beck fearmongering that led up to it.

The LDS Church supported the Utah Compact and has preached, over and over again, for a more compassionate and comprehensive approach to immigration reform that goes far beyond simplistic "enforcement." Bennett seems to have been one of the few Republicans in the state to take this counsel to heart; Sandstrom, Chaffetz, Hatch, Lee--they all seem to be going in the exact opposite direction, the direction of fear, xenophobia, cruelty, and pandering.

So if, as some of you insist, Bennett has been out of touch with Utah voters, it appears that this is because Utahns are out of touch with the Church's counsel.

• Gus Talwynd Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 9:59 p.m.

Maybe Utah should utilize the primary system rather than the current system where a few people determine the candidate. Under the current system, only the most extremely conservative candidate gets selected.

Any candidate who does not adhere to a Tea Party-like agenda is at risk even though the majority of voters in a primary would not necessarily want someone from the extreme edge of Republican politics as their candidate.

Even though the Tea Party people like to complain about "elites" when a candidate not refecting their own views is selected, they do want to have the power control the system and select their own kind of candidate as an "elite" force in their own.

• Considering Stockton, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 9:43 p.m.

Once again, I strongly suspect that many of those most upset about Bennett's ouster in convention are many of the same people who are most vocal about the corrosive influence of "big money" or "special interests" in politics.

Well, Utah's caucus/convention system does more to blunt the effectiveness of special interests and big money than anything else I've seen.

Some 100,000 regular Utahns attend the GOP caucus meetings. They elect 5,000 delegates to get to know the candidates and vote in convention.

Too many people involved in caucus for special interests to hold sway. A small enough number of delegates that hard work and one-on-one contact can overcome big money, fancy mailings, or expensive commercials.

18 years ago, Bennett was selected as the nominee in convention. Did his supporters condemn the system then? But they keep trying to argue the system is broken when it denies him the nomination this year?

Bennett voted for the bailout. He has voted for amnesty for illegal aliens. His constituents, his delegates, rightfully have retired him.

It is suppose to be about public SERVICE, not a lifetime career.

• Brian the engineer Columbus, OH
    Dec. 28, 2010 8:14 p.m.

@2 bits

You're preaching to the choir, bud :)

I agree with most of the things you said, and I'm sorry if I inferred that I was ever anti-Bennett at the caucus. I was open-minded at the time to the numerous candidates available- I wasn't anti-anybody.

That said, I would like to clarify that for the caucus I attended, the delegates elected did not represent the voters of that precinct. Most of my friends in the precinct hadn't yet formed a solid opinion until after the caucus/convention.

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 6:39 p.m.

@Grover: a little more for you to chew on. Are you really trying to tell everyone that you aren't decided on any issue until you walk into the voting booth?

However, based on your definition I'm in the middle. I was elected delegate without supporting anyone in the meeting. I hadn't looked at any of the candidates at all. So I went to all of their meetings and learned who I wanted to vote for.

Is that really what it means to be in the middle?

So, you didn't give a definition of far-left. Would you be the poster boy for that definition or would it be Esquire, LOL, LDS Lib?

You might want to check where you stand on things and how pure your motives are. Based on your comments there isn't much that you don't already have an opinion on.

Bennett got what was coming to him. He failed to listen. The Dems in Congress failed to listen and got ousted. There will be more of both parties who either retire or will get ousted in 2012.

The tidal wave of the Tea Party is here to stay.

• Grover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 6:15 p.m.

Outdoor Charlie: Far Right: People who see conspiracy everywhere they look and believe that they speak for the rest of America. Middle: Those who truly go into an election undecided and never and I mean NEVER vote a straight party ticket. Capisce?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 4:54 p.m.

Senator Bennett was saddly a victim of political pureism.

The LDS General Authorities have warned repeated about the dangers of any and all extreme-isms.

I think this falls into that bucket.

Meanwhile, the vigilantISM from a minority group calling themselves "Tea-Partiers" will continue, much the same as the intolerant Missouri Mobs did with our ancestors 160 years ago.

Conform, or face the consequences!!!

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 4:38 p.m.

If Utahs' caucus system is flawed, Bob Bennett and his supporters should have brought that up back in '04 when he began his second term!
    The caucus system only became "flawed" when Bob didn't get to keep his "Senator for life" status. For at least the last 3-4 years of his Senatorial life I couldn't even tell he was a Republican. He mostly "reached across the aisle" to vote with Demos. anyway!
    I too, tried writing to Bennett on several occassions, and only EVER got one response (a form letter). I definitely AM NOT the most important of his constituents, but when I take time to express myself personally to his office I think I deserve at least some sort of reply!

Bob Bennetts' ouster was a perfect example of a system that WORKS WELL!
    If there WOULD HAVE been some sort of "open voting" mechanism where everyone would have been able to vote, Bob had REAL DEEP pockets full of cash to buy unlimited amounts of advertising, making any newcomer totally helpless to match those kinds of advertising dollars!

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Bennett's well deserved ouster was the result of no longer reflecting the will of the voters. He may be a nice, guy, and beloved by other squishy RINO senators and big-spending Democrats, but that does not guarantee him yet another term in what he clearly considered to be his family birthright seat.

The caucus system works, and works well, and Utah is better off because of it.

Orrin Hatch, are you paying attention? You are next!

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 4:07 p.m.

Ralfly in west jordan
    "the sky is falling." Why, yes it is. Its probably Bushes fault or global warming? You decide.
    Again, Bennett and Hatch are poster children for why we need term limits.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 4:05 p.m.

Bob's own arrogance cost him the Senate......

Good Riddance to him and others like him.....

Its about time we elected someone who respresents the majority of the people here in Utah...lets hope Lee understands that, because Bennett never did?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 3:34 p.m.

In a way it's sad we are ruled by a party-based political system.

I think it was a shame that Bennett was eliminated before he even got to a point where we could ALL vote on it (he was defeated at the Republican Convention).

If the best 2-3 candidates were allowed to be on the final ballot (instead of requiring just ONE from the Republican Party and ONE from the Democrat Party, etc)... I think we could have seen a different result.

But opening up our electoral system like this COULD have the one result the Party People could NEVER tolerate. A ballot with TWO Democrats with ideas the people liked on the final ballot (and no Republican). Or TWO Republicans with good ideas (but possibly no Democrat making the final ballot).

I think if Bennett and Lee had been the two choices Utahns had in the general election... Bennett would have won. He's a moderate and appeals even to some Democrats (Lee doesn't). So in a way... Bennett was done in by the political convention system... and the elites in his party... not the people/voters of the state.

• Brer Rabbit Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 3:33 p.m.

Utah isn't like Massachusetts that keeps a Senator for life (Kennedy). We are totally able to do our own term limits. Senator Bennett had two personas, one for East of the Mississippi and one when he was West of the Mississippi especially when in Utah

I became a state delegate because of the unwillingness of Bennett's staff in Provo to listen to my concerns. Because I differed from their position on "Comprehensive Immigration Reform," they refused to even listen to me.

I don't care how much "pork" Bennett was able to bring to Utah, his "behind the scenes" methods were an affront to me, and many Utahns.

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 1:28 p.m.

One fact remains: His time was up and he was the last to admit it.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 1:27 p.m.

Bennett promised when he first ran he would only stay one term. He lied.

His next greatist mistake is he actually said he knew more about what was best for his constituants than they did.

Bennett is an elitist progressive.

Next to go is Hatch that said he is to important not to be re-elected, an elitist progressive.

The movement is trying to eliminate elitists from government.

• Ralph West Jordan Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 1:25 p.m.

Re: @Charles..."You make a serious blunder in making your comment,and that is you think Utahns care what other Senators in Congress think about who we vote for. We Don't!"

The arrogance of your statement says it all!
    The chicken little party lives in la la land and the voting sheep of Utah follow blindly on! Oh did I forget to mention "The Sky Is Falling"

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 12:57 p.m.

Brian the engineer | 12:41 p.m.

If you are so uninformed that you were open to being mislead by information at a caucus meeting... you should be ashamed of yourself.

You can NEVER disasociate yourself from your responsibility to get information from MANY trusted sources to determine for YOURSELF what the "facts" or the "Truth" is. You can never divest yourself of the responsibility to get the facts for yourself. You can't just conveniently blame someone at the caucus meeting!

It's YOUR job to get the facts... and not just believe everything you hear at a caucus meeting, or on the TV, or on the radio.

Find people (REAL PEOPLE you can talk with at length and ask questions and share and discuss responses with)! Don't just trust your caucus, or the nightly news, or a guy on talk radio.

It's your own fault if you think a guy at your caucus mislead you into thinking you wanted Bennett to go, when you realy didn't. Don't be such a push-over.

• Brian the engineer Columbus, OH
    Dec. 28, 2010 12:41 p.m.

Thanks for the letter.

I returned home from the caucus meeting having been "enlightened" about why Bennett needed to ousted, and as such, anti-Bennett delegates were elected.

It was weeks later that I learned that many of the things preached at the caucus were simply not true, and if I could turn back time, I would have been much more of a Bennett supporter.

Hopefully Lee will learn a few things from Bennett and try to work to benefit everyone, and not just one party.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 12:37 p.m.

If Bennett's ousting is "Wrong"... then the Constitution is "Wrong". Because he was ousted using the exact procedure the Constitution prescribed for selecting or ousting our representatives.

If the will of the people (the vote)... is "Wrong"... then yes, I guess you are right... it's wrong to respect the vote of the people.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 12:30 p.m.

"Bob Bennett had a condescending attitude, and ignored every opinion but his own"

In other words, Bob Bennett, a man of mature and seasoned judgment, voted his conscience on the issues. He ignored outspoken zealots (like most of the respondents here, in this forum).

Quinn Monson's survey shows how extreme caucus delegates were, how out of touch with most Americans, how bizarrely partisan. 90% opposed stimulus bills, Obamacare, cap and trade
    98% felt the country was "pretty seriously" off track. Anyone opposed to the economic stimulus has just frankly not been paying attention: the Bush/Obama stimulus bills saved our country. Cap and trade is a conservative, market oriented approach to environmental issues. As for 'Obamacare,' those opposed to it generally oppose it based on provisions that are just flat not in the bill.

So what happened? A bunch of ignorant, old, rich, white, Mormon men decided they didn't like Bennett based on misinformation spread by Fox News, Glenn Beck, and tea party-generated viral emails. As a result, we're stuck with Constitutional Scholar Mike Lee for the next six years. Yippee.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 12:16 p.m.

We shouldn't even be arguing about this...If only Bennett would have lived up to his promise not to become a 'lifer' in congress. Term Limits!!!

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 11:50 a.m.

@Ralph: "...the majority of the Senators feel like Utah has made a serious blunder."

You make a serious blunder in making your comment and that is you think Utahns care what the other Senators in Congress think about who we vote for. We don't!

@Grover: still whining about a "closed convention" system, eh? There are other states that are probably more to your liking regarding politics. Maybe you should seek out one of them so that you will be happier in life.

Far right? Exactly what is that?

Middle? Exactly what is that?

Murkowski is the perfect example of what is wrong with Congress. She thinks she is entitled to the seat. She got beat in the primary not a caucus. Then she got the state to disregard its own laws so she could get elected to retain her power.

If Bennett couldn't get all he thought he needed to do for the state done in 18 years, 6 more wouldn't have mattered. Hatch has been there 30+ and will be ousted in 2012.

There is nothing wrong with fresh meat now and then. Afterall, Bennett was once a freshman too.

• Grover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 11:24 a.m.

I would like to see Bob Bennett run as an Independent against Orrin Hatch. I believe he could do to the closed convention system in Utah what Lisa Murkowski did in Alaska. Freed of needing to bend to the far right, he would be far more attractive to voters in the middle.

• Ralph West Jordan Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 9:24 a.m.

Ken hit it right on the head! It was a big mistake ousting Bennett. My grandson works in the office of a sitting Rep. Senator from another state. He says that Bennett enjoyed a high reputation from both sides of the isle (the sky is falling, the sky is falling) and the majority of the Senators feel like Utah has made a serious blunder. So now it looks like the "chicken little group" wants to go after Hatch! Great, we then will have Lee and probably Chaffetz, I can't imagine a more sterling pair. Fric and Frac, Great!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 9:20 a.m.

re: ECR | 7:23 a.m. Dec. 28, 2010

Heaven forbid politics be about compromise and building a consensus.

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 9:09 a.m.

Everyone is "appalled". A word only used in letters to the editor and in the comment section.

What was so laudable about Bennett's 18 years in Congress?

Do you have an issue with the reasons people vote?

Do you have an issue with people disagreeing with the legislation that Bennett "felt" would benefit Utah and the country?

What principles are you willing to compromise for your definition of progress?

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe most in Utah don't agree with your interpretation of progress?

No one needs to brush up on history regarding COTUS. What we have is what we have in COTUS is the most important document for any country, ever. What is it that you don't like about COTUS that makes you in favor of ignoring it?

You are embarrassed in how Bennett was ousted? Why? Because the political system worked and you didn't like the outcome?

Were you not able to convince your neighbors to elect you as a delegate?

I sent letter after letter advising Bennett that it would be better for him to retire gracefully than to be ousted at convention. His arrogance wouldn't allow that.

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 9:07 a.m.

Quinn Monson at BYU did a written survey of the delegates to the nominating convention who "ousted" Bennett. The facts:

23% attended caucuses for the first time
    75% reported they had given no money to the tea party movement
    62% wanted more policies reflective of the Constitution
    74% wanted less government intervention
    95% used the Internet more than once a day
    75% were males
    64% were over age 45
    62% considered themselves "strong Republicans"
    36% were college graduates
    39% had post-graduate degrees
    90% were Mormons
    92% were married
    79% made > $55,000 per year

Bob Bennett was not "ousted" by tea party radicals -- they were his own people.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 7:58 a.m.

The tea party would have destroyed the Articles of Confederation, too. We would have a continent with small nations, less powerful than the countries of the Balkans today. Bennett got it, and now Utah has a new Senator who is in la-la land and will actually contribute to the demise of the Constitution because he thinks it should be viewed in the eyes of the world of 1787, which is a misconception as well. What a mess.

• ECR Burke, VA
    Dec. 28, 2010 7:23 a.m.

"...he...reached across the aisle to cooperate with Democrats to bring to pass legislation that he felt might benefit the country and Utah. In other words, he recognized that politics is "the art of the possible,..."

Ken - I think you hit the nail on the head in describing what a statesman really is and does. Thanks for writing.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 28, 2010 6:01 a.m.

The caucus system worked. Mr. Bennett did not appeal to those who participate in politics in Utah. He may have thought that he represented Utah. He may have thought that he was bigger than life, but the real fact is that Utah had had enough of Mr. Bennett and his brand of politics.

How long are his supporters going to try to re-write history? Mr. Bennett served for eighteen years. Everything that he did is on record. Every vote is on record. Whether you agree or disagree with his voting record, it is what it is.

We have a caucus system in Utah that all of Mr. Bennett's influence and all of his campaign money and all of his emails and all of his letters couldn't change.

He sent me email after email and letter after letter telling me how important it was to convince people in my precinct to vote for him AFTER I had repeatedly notified him and his campaign that I would be supporting Mr. Lee.

His problem is that he didn't listen to anyone. He thought that everyone was listening to him.

• CJ Murray, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 5:26 a.m.

Getting rid of him was the best thing that has happened to Utah since we ousted Cannon. He voted like a Democrat for every spending bill he could find and for the Dream act and all other illegal alien amnesties, he simply didn't represent Utah. Most of all, he had a condescending attitude and totally ignored any opinion but his own. Talking to him was like talking to a wall, he knew best and everyone else was wrong. The only regret is that it didn't happen sooner. He broke his own promise on length of service as well, It was the right decision all the way.