Sports

Amy Donaldson: Stooges at NCAA full of hypocrisy

Comments

• satch Lehi, UT
    Dec. 26, 2010 11:08 p.m.

Schools/University should be there for education. Sports can support themselves. I can never understand why our priorities are so skewed.

A college president makes far less than a football coach. People should attend school to get an education. In Europe, if you want to play football you work your way onto a club team. We cannot continue to sustain the current model.

Yes, the NCAA is hypocritical. Cam Newton and Reggie Bush are no different. There is so much cheating in NCAA sports & recruiting- there is no way to police it anymore. The NCAA is not interested in fairness or the athletes, they are there to make sure the old boys system stays in place.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 26, 2010 11:24 p.m.

Ohio State's athletic budget is $110,000,000. How much of that goes into facilities, buffets for fat cat supporters, coaches, etc.

What would happen if they had a playoff distributed that to ALL D-1 schools, doubled the stipend to athletes?

Coaches' salaries would be reduced and people couldn't have multi-million dollar practice facilities, but the games would still be competitive, and they athletes could afford a thing or two.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Dec. 27, 2010 6:29 a.m.

The NCAA is a joke and everyone knows it. Cam Newton is the rule not the exception. Most star college players are paid by agents while in school.

There's no way to get the money out of college football but there should be a way to distribute it more equitably with the players at all schools. Oh wait, that would mean having a playoff so the money could go to the universities instead of the bowls - fat chance!

• Forrest Natchitoches, LA
    Dec. 27, 2010 7:30 a.m.

Excellent article, Ms. Donaldson. With good suggestions. As a member of a university athletic council, I've come to understand some of the ridiculous reporting requirements for schools participating in NCAA athletics. The NCAA is a huge bureaucracy in itself.

• Chad S Derby, KS
    Dec. 27, 2010 7:57 a.m.

A full ride scholarship doesn't cover everything? Does this guy even realize how ludicrous this sounds, considering most students on campus don't have any kind of scholarship at all? Am I supposed to feel sorry for the full-ride scholarship football athlete? The same kid that gets full-time tutoring for free while I have to pay? The same kid that gets $1,000 in gifts from the bowl game he plays in? The same full-ride scholarship athlete that walks around campus like he owns the place, who gets to miss more classes than I do? These kids are getting a quality university education at institutions that they wouldn't otherwise be accepted academically.

Don't tell me a full-ride doesn't cover everything.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Dec. 27, 2010 9:01 a.m.

I believe the NCAA will eventually go the way of the Olympic competition.
    Remember when they, (the Olympians), were once denied making money?
    It's impossible to monitor.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 9:28 a.m.

Amy, a good article, but one critical factor was excluded - that the University Presidents actually have control over the NCAA. What does that tell you about the folks that are supposed to be caretakers of the academics and students? They are the biggest hypocrites.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 27, 2010 9:37 a.m.

@Chad S
    Who do you think pays for the new computers in the lab you do your homework in? What about that new science bldg on upper campus? How else do you think a university can keep the lights on...from tuitions alone?

Make no mistake, there is some serious hypocisy in the NCAA with how it treats it's tier 1 athletes. It's those very athletes that cannot get a job because it would be against the rules...nor do they have the time because of class and practice and then games on the weekends.

Last I checked, the typical student did not have weekend commitments. I'm not sure the life of a college athlete is as glamorous as you seem to think it is. Yes sure, there are perks, but not as many as you think and you reap the rewards of those very athletes each day you attend school.

• Rodgers Sandy, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 10:01 a.m.

The hipocrisy is in the fans themselves by attending all of these competitive events and paying the outrageous prices for these "amateur" sporting events. Stop going to the games and stop watching tv and things will change. Will that happen? no.

• nomo Draper, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 10:26 a.m.

Chad.I agree I don't believe college athletes should be payed. Their college scholarship is reward enough, but you trying to compare an athlete to a non athlete is a joke. You sound like somone who got cut from the basketball team in Jr. hihg school. These atlhletes, swimmers, runners, football players, basketball players, put in hundreds of hours of work, blood sweat and tears long before they ever even get to college, something that you never go through. They represent their university and yes bring in revenue. Your arguement is you should have equal benefits, my question is for what?. and yes, like it or not athletics are a part of the college experiance had they have been from day one, as much as you would like to you can't change that. I would suggest you go to a school that doesn't have athletics at all that way you will feel more at home and not so threatend.

• nomo Draper, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 10:36 a.m.

Rodgers, mass boycotts have never worked and they won't work now. Lets see you want everyone to stop watching TV and stop going to games. Ya I'm sure that will work, maybe we can all stop going to the mall where we are all over charged and lets stop getting gas for our cars since we know that's way over priced. And how bout lets just lock ourselves up in our homes and stop being hiopcrites.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Dec. 27, 2010 11:15 a.m.

Amen, sister! An excellent article, Amy!

• Whiteshoes Hurricane, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 11:52 a.m.

Athletes get "compensated" for their talents in various ways. Those who receive full-ride scholarships get plenty. They don't have to worry about losing that scholarship if heir GPA falls below any particular GPA (like those who get academic scholarships). Most college students have to work in the summers to earn spending money. Athletes get lined up with "jobs" as well.
    This business with Cam Newton and the Ohio State players is a joke, Saying that they didn't know is no excuse. "the parent is the player" certainly spells it out for Cam Newton and selling stuff (rings, etc.) is a clear violation as well.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Dec. 27, 2010 12:54 p.m.

Agree wholeheartedly with Chris B. Sorry Mr. Martinez but you won't get my sympathy either. Too many Student Athletes especially in Football and Basketball do not graduate period...some never intended to in the first place. That to me is a total waste of educational money and instructional time. It's money that should have to be paid back as far as I'm concerned. And far too many of those not graduating end up going to the pros. Athletes have it way too easy. I paid for my own eduaction and had plenty of money so I don't know what your gripe is. Four years in the Army with a year in Vietnam entitled me to G.I. benefits. I joined the National Guard with pay while enrolled at BYU. The Simultaneous Membership Program allowed me to keep my E-6 rank in the Guard and enroll with a $100.00 a month stipend. I also worked as a groundskeeper for the Osmonds at Riviera Apartments. and you know Mr. Martinez. I still had time to play intermural sports and to play and coach city league baseball untop of that. No sympathy for you or your sons

• nomo Draper, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 1:10 p.m.

Where's Stockton..I would like to know where you are getting your information sounds like your making it up as you go.90% of all NCAA athletes do not go pro in anything and you can look that up. You mentioned you paid for your own education then go on to say the Government paid for it. Congratulations you were in the millitary so was I, athletes have to work for their scholarships,many far harder than any summer job.Having intense training all year long is a bit more strenuous than being a grounds keeper at some apartment complex. I admit they get much more praise for what they do, is that your real gripe.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Dec. 27, 2010 1:25 p.m.

Need to make one additional correction...should have read:...The Army ROTC's Simultaneous Membership Program allowed me to still be in the Guard...keep my rank of Staff Sgt E-6 and be enrolled as a contracted cadet in the Army ROTC program.

Student Athletes should have to pay their dues just like anyone else does. I personally don't see them as being abused or used by the NCAA. They receive compensation....Many of them receive immense compensation when you consider that many get very little actual playing time...but they are there to back up those who play most. Just how are they overworked and abused...because they have to practice... the possibility of injuries...How's that different than say some stdent over summer break working a dangerous job in construction. Mr. Martinez you need to quit whining and start letting your boys grow up and figure out their own ways to finance their educations. Right now both the Active and Reserve components of The Military offer up to $50,000.00 in just educational money alone. I'm sure the California National Guard would love to have both your sons.

SCOOBIE

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Dec. 27, 2010 1:52 p.m.

I highly suggest you reread my statement there son. I gave no figures... your the one dicing the info...You must be related to UTEOLOY. Yes... all things considered... too many Student Athletes in Mens Football and Mens Basketball as a group... (and I only chose Football and Basketball and not your choice of "ALL NCAA Athletes") do not graduate considering the money and the opportunity given them. and until "You've walked the walk and talked the talk"... don't even bring up the government paying for my education...It was a contract in which both parties kept their agreements. I earned as did millions of other military servemen and women those benefits just like student athletes are supposed to earn their scholarships with an obligation not only to play and perform to their best abilities but also to graduate. I'm a retired Officer with over 27 years in the military... but rather than argue the point statistically let's just summize that no one owes you or I or Mr. Martinez and his sons a free lunch... regardless of our talens hidden or otherwise...Can you agree to that???

• krishwp West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 2:40 p.m.

Did none of you bone heads actually read the article? "Mr. Martinez" doesn't want this money for himself! My dad is the one who he is trying to raise money for. My dad died volunteering for the youth in the community! This has nothing to do with his sons earning money for their football stuff. He wanted to donate it for an auction to help a family in need. Merry Christmas to all!

• nomo Draper, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 5:13 p.m.

Where's Stocton??? who said anythhing about a free lunch, you earned your education, So did I and these athletes have too. If they choose not to graduate that's their problem, I'm sure years later they will regret that decision. A huge percent of Football and Basketball players never go pro, as a matter of fact most don't. You act like athletes are the only ones that don't finish their educaton, there are students on academic scholarships that drop out, students on govenment programs that drop out and yes even people on millitary benefits that drop out. At that point the school no longer suppliments them just like they don't for athletes that leave early. Its not like the school is paying for them after they leave. If you have a problem with it blame the NFL or the NBA that offer them millions to leave school, I'm sure if people in the millitary could do it they would without hesitation.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Dec. 27, 2010 8:14 p.m.

This ammateur athlete debate has been going on for years... going back even before the time of Jim Thorpe. The rules are there for a reason...regardless... and they are nitpicky for a reason...in order to attempt to headoff anyone possibly trying to circumnavigate the system or use their status as a Student Athlete for personal gain. Obviously as at USC and at Auburn there is disparity over the interpretation of the rules. And as far as charity goes...that has been used so many times as a cover to covertly funnel proceeds into the wrong pockets that that is exactly why the rules are so nit picky. Charity is only one aspect of the problem. There are all kinds of other issues. I still am not sympathetic towards Mr. Martinez's view point or anyone else saying that these rules are rediculously restrictive. That's the entire point...They're supposed to be. To make it as hard as possible for the athlete, his parents, or anyone else to misuse their status as student athletes. We have too many Art Schlicters, Maurice Clarettes, Reggie Bushes and fathers of people like Cam Newton already.

• mamalongarms Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2010 12:45 p.m.

As a former NCAA athlete and a relative of a current NCAA athlete I can personally say that a full ride scholarship, while extremely helpful in the long run, does not provide the necessities of the day to day. Yes, that scholarship will make future expenses better (i.e. no school loans) but it does not make their current monetary issues go away. They do not have an income. Their only source of clothes or food has to come from the school. Who wants to wear school gear everyday and eat cafeteria food everyday? Only those students who have families that can provide for them have luxuries of new clothes or gadgets that anyone else can provide for themselves. Try living a day where the food you eat, the clothes you wear, and the purchases you make are watched by people who can afford practically everything. The honest athletes out there don't have it easy, I can attest to that.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 28, 2010 1:20 p.m.

The NCAA should put themselves on probation for lack of institutional control.

Are they really brain-dead enough to believe that USC is going to sit idly by and watch Ohio State get preferential treatment without doing anything?

What about North Carolina and all of the other Southern schools that are being investigated for agent involvement?

The NCAA is painting themselves into a corner that could get very hard to explain if USC or another school that's been hit hard with penalties decides to sue the NCAA for blatant discrimination.

• SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Dec. 28, 2010 11:02 p.m.

To all concerned.... Deal with it and live with it!!!!

• Chad S Derby, KS
    Dec. 29, 2010 2:44 p.m.

Is it against the NCAA rules to get a job mowing University lawns over the summer or during the off-season? I completely understand that full-ride scholarships don't provide enough money to cover 100% of college expenses (rent, food)--I had to work part time to make ends meet at BYU where tuition is relatively cheap.

So, unless the NCAA prohibits student athletes from working at all during the year then I don't sympathize with the lack of funds to buy iPods, iPads, and Xbox360 subscriptions (stuff I never could afford at school either).

I also understand that the AD brings in lots of money that other University schools might possibly use (though I'm not certain that it is a fact). The Kennedy Center where I studied (international relations) seemed to rely heavily on alumni donations and endowments. I'm not sure that AD money funds as much as you think outside the AD.

I'm all for a healthy and wealthy AD because I love BYU football. And, no, I was never cut from a high school sports team.

• dforth79 Orem, UT
    Dec. 29, 2010 3:17 p.m.

I have had 2 brothers and a sister playing college basketball. As well as cousins running track and volleyball all on scholarship. There meals are paid for, tuition, rent, and most of them get a stipend of anywhere from $500 to $800 a month. I will tell you what. give me the $500 to $800 a month right know without the other expenses I will live like a king. Yes they work for it but I have no sympathy for the student athlete. And I have first hand knowledge of what they get.

• ManBearPig Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 30, 2010 10:27 a.m.

I didn't read the story, just going to comment on the title/picture... how much does it cost to go to school at USC or Cal? Is that not cashing in? As far as I'm concerned, a world class education and chance to keep playing football/maybe go pro IS cashing in.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Dec. 30, 2010 3:21 p.m.

Well since both of Mr. Martinez boys could have gone to any of the instate schools on full rides, two of which would have even allowed them to live at home if they wanted to, I have a hard time feeling all that sorry for their situation. They chose to go the more expensive route. They chose to go to seperate out of state schools.

You would think they would have taken those factors into account when they made their decisions and then once made simply lived with the consequences.

One of my best friends attended BYU on a full ride football scholarship when we graduated from high school. He lived at home and collected his scholarship money. Frankly he was pretty well off for all of those years. Mr Martinez sons could have easily done the same.

Not much sympathy here.