Brad Rock: Time is right for Utes to move on

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 3:33 p.m.

re: Igualmente | 3:00 p.m. Dec. 23, 2010

Please! BYU could teach the Utes a thing or 17 about unnecessary flapping of the gums and celebrating over what should be routine.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Dec. 27, 2010 2:47 p.m.

wwookie | 4:49 p.m. Dec. 23, 2010

Funny! But, if I were you, Id get a refund. Something about cost effectiveness.

Re: Oregonian | 6:36 p.m. Dec. 23, 2010

Why not just call UCLA, USC, Arizona, and ASU "Girly State".

Have you seen the co-eds @ the aforementioned schools? Giggity Giggity! Go Auburn!!

Re: wwookie | 10:02 a.m. Dec. 24, 2010

"Aug 3 2010 - Brigham Young University added to its area studies expertise on Asia, Europe and the Middle East with the recent receipt of three prestigious grants from the U.S. Department of Education totaling several million dollars"

Sounds like the Y has a case of U Envy. Surprising or not? The U already has a highly regarded Middle Eastern Studies Dept.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 25, 2010 4:57 a.m.

Man, this thread seems to be the gift that just keeps giving. Merry Christmas, ya'll!

Thuggish - going over to the opponents side of the field before the game and getting in their faces.

Appropriate response - BSU coach getting in his own player's face pretty intensely for responding to such thuggish behavior.

Thuggish - all of the clips I have to watch with O'Niel Chambers when reviewing (which I do regularly) the 2009 BYU - Utah football game. Kid behaved like a punk.

Appropriate response - Gone. Failure to change, gone.

Not-quite-thuggish - Max Hall's post game comments.

Not-quite-enough appropriate response - Quasi public apology.

Merry Christmas, Ute fans! If the Germans and the Allies could call a Christmas Day cease fire, I suppose I can too.

• Rock Chalk BYU Lawrence, KS
    Dec. 24, 2010 9:47 p.m.

@Cougarology, er, Uteology definitely needs a new hobby!

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 24, 2010 2:08 p.m.

Some gift ideas for Christmas:

For the Utes: Success in their adventure to the PAC12

For uteology: A sense of humor and a new hobby.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Dec. 24, 2010 1:50 p.m.

And I'm sure the grandma whose drug dealing grandson mows her lawn every week thinks he is a great kid as well.

The fact is no one is all bad or all good so we can applaud each other when we preform good deeds and criticize when we behave like punks. christopher, and a good portion more of the ute players, behave like punks before, during, and after games. It's great he is going to the shelter and helping out and it is classless when he is acting like a punk when it realtes to football.

Just the way it is.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Dec. 24, 2010 11:17 a.m.

Hey man, I swear you wouldn't use either word in a face to face conversation.

Thuggish? For smack talk, really?

FL had something like 30 players arrested in 6 years under Urban... I guess in your eyes that is the "hood".

Only one university had to apologize for its fans (Jumbotron) and athletes (Max Hall).

Get a life, don't waste it judging others.

Here's an example of classless Utes:

GIVING BACK: Utah receiver DeVonte Christopher will be a busy man Sunday. The Las Vegas native will join his family in an annual tradition of feeding the homeless after church. They've been doing it for as long as Christopher can remember.

"My grandma is a real religious person and she always taught us that giving back to the community and being grateful is one of the key things in life," said Christopher, who is expected to be joined at the Salvation Army facility in North Las Vegas by 10-15 of his teammates.

-- Deseret News Dec. 16, 2010

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 24, 2010 11:11 a.m.

Uteology | 10:34 p.m. Dec. 23, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas

Ilk, really? Merry Christmas to you too.

Uteology, no unecessary feelings being hurt. Ilk is not a pejorative term.

Jaydee was actually giving you a twisted compliment.

Ilk means a type, race or category; a group of entities that have common characteristics such that they may be grouped together; The same.

Merry Christmas...

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 24, 2010 10:34 a.m.

Veritas Aequitas | 12:43 p.m. Dec. 23, 2010
    Fruit Heights, UT
    UteExpat | 9:31 a.m.
    London, United Kingdom
    Lots of little brothers posting on an article about our team today!
    Our team? Last I checked, bro, it's called the "University of Utah", and according to my state filing of income taxes that go to subsidize the U of U, I live in Utah.

The way I see it is Veritas is upset that a poster in the UK thinks the U is his team, and Veritas thinks it represents Utah, that the U on the Helmet is not representing a Californian (Me), or someone from the UK.

Why so snippy there wookie?

I have plenty of schools and professional teams around me, some public, some private... And yes, friends from different states rag on me all the time, whether I am a fan or not.

My "team" USC is on probation. I own it, whether I even follow them or not. People hate Kobe, I take the grief.

Wook, you are being petty...

And, the Utew were thuggish at the Bowl. The announcers showed it. They mentioned it. Why argue the point?

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Dec. 24, 2010 10:02 a.m.

Veritas, it took me less than 10 secs to find this from byu´s own web page.

It is funny how you either don´t understand my earlier post in that byu accepts millions in tax payer money, or you are just like many of the byu fans who post on Utah stories who have no conscience that restricts them from twisting and trying to deceive others.

So just for your benefit, the fact that the U gets tax money does not make you the owner of the U, just like I don´t own BYU.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Dec. 24, 2010 9:55 a.m.

Veritas, really? thuggish? that is some soap box you have.

Look at the history of BYU players that have received disciplinary actions. The utes you complain about are angels in comparison.
    (And I´m not talking about the likes of Unga)

Utah represents the state very well and the rest of the state outside of Provo are very proud of the University. Multiple ticker tape parades attended by the goverrner, first presidency of the LDS faith, etc.

GO UTES! good luck in the PAC. You exceeded most expectations this year. Let´s do it again in 2011!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 24, 2010 9:22 a.m.

Actually, wook, if you follow the links, a poster from the UK questioned why Utahns post about "our" (their) team.

"Aug. 2, 2010 - Research and related funding collected by the University of Utah during the recently ended fiscal year 2010 jumped 27 percent to $450.6 million, with most of the increase provided by economic stimulus money from the federal government."

Regardless, as long as they have the U on the side of their helmet, they represent us Utahn's and the thuggish behavior of players and fans reflect badly on the state.

If the coaches can't control the players, they need to find some that can.

Too many years on the court and the field. The trip of Blake Griffin two years ago, throwing a punch last year in basketball. Going over to the other teams sides is just classless. Just worry about putting up points.

And, even HUGE U fans I know refuse to take kids to RES. I go, but would never take a child.

So someone from the UK wants to know whay I post on their team?

Because, it's Utah's team, as we have the right to follow them.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 24, 2010 9:20 a.m.

@ uteology:

Hey man, I could swear I called you a genius.

Good luck on the left coast, Utes.

Happy New Year.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 24, 2010 12:13 a.m.

I am no fan of Utah, but I think all you bashers give the PAC-whatever too much credit saying that Utah will flail in that conference. I honestly think that they aren't much better than the MWC over the past few years and definitely not better with the addition of BSU (and TCU, BYU, and UTAH staying put).

So I think Utah will do just fine and maybe even win the conference on occasion. They'll need a much better QB before that happens, though.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 23, 2010 11:22 p.m.

So many posters predicting Utah will fail next year in the PAC-12. The Utes have done fairly well vs the PAC recently, both @home and @neutral sites. Considering they have winnable non-conference games (BYU is always a toss-up) AND they play 5-conference games at home, AND one of their conference road games is at WSU, I don't think it's unreasonable that the Utes could win 8 or 9 games next year and (with USC out) win the PAC-South.

I'm not predicting that it WILL happen, just that it's not unreasonable. I DO think it's unreasonable to expect them to be doormats as so many folks on these posts have claimed with so little evidence.

BYU, on the flip side, plays only 3 teams next year that had winning records this year. @Texas (5-7 and last in Big-12-South) and @Ole Miss (4-8, last in SEC-West) may sound great, but when Iowa State wins @Texas (now minus their D-coordinator), and Jacksonville wins @Ole Miss, so should BYU. It's likewise not unreasonable to say BYU will win 10 (largely vs cupcakes, ironically).

Go both teams!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Dec. 23, 2010 10:34 p.m.

Ilk, really? Merry Christmas to you too.

As bad as we played in the last 6 games, going 3-3, it's true that the time is right for the Utes to move on, after going 13-0 #2, 10-3 #18, and 10-3.

That's right over the last three years Utah is 33-6, with FIVE loses to ranked teams:

@Oregon #11
    @TCU #6
    @BYU #12

TCU #3 ??
    Boise #10 ??

This program use to underachieve by losing to teams like (5-7) New Mexico even in great years (1994 AP #10). So 5 of the 6 loses in last three years have been to top 12 teams with a 4-5 overall record vs ranked teams, I can live with that.

What's even more important is while BYU has better recruits (according to Scouts), Utah is developing more NFL talent. That is a good trend to have, heading into the PAC-12.

Go UTES!! On to better competition and no more MTN TV.

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    Dec. 23, 2010 6:36 p.m.

Chris B-

Did you really say things are looking ROSEY next year? Are you really that delusional? The last 5 games of your season Utah showed that they compete well against the middle of the MWC but wilt like flowers against tough competition. Now all of a sudden you're going to be PAC12 champions?

Let me quote the joke told on the top Portland sports radio show today. "Why did Utah and Colorado get to go to the PAC12 South division? Because the North already had Washington State."

You thump your chest that you barely beat a 6-6 BYU team, you've been absolutely HUMILIATED on National TV in every big game you played this year, and now come out say things are looking ROSEY?? Why not just call UCLA, USC, Arizona, and ASU "Girly State".

• mr. j Cottonwood Hts., Ut
    Dec. 23, 2010 6:14 p.m.

Proud of my Utes. We left soooo many points on the field. I'm sick for Shaky and Brooks cause if they would've done what is natural for recievers to do i.e. catch the ball, this one would've come down to the wire. But it happens and i'll sure miss em. Sooooo close yet, sooooo far away.

• Longliveishere2 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 5:13 p.m.

It's a little premature and arrogant for whY fan to come here and start berating the U for its performance. We looked about as bad against BSU last night as you did against AFA, FSU, USU, TCU, etc. Go back to the pre-season and many had the Utes playing in the Poinsettia or Armed Forces bowl as the #3 team from the MWC. TCU and AFA were ranked/predicted to finish ahead of Utah. So for the whole year, we were better than many expected. BSU was in the NC talk since the end of last season. Unlike the koogies who crown themselves king after fall camp, they are a legit NC contender and you will find out in a couple of years that they won't lose much from where they are right now.
    So whYne fan, you don't have any room to talk. BSU made us look like you were most of the year. You didn't beat any team ranked in the top #100 all year (SDSU was an alumni gift) until UTEP. I think we'll be fine and you'll see how much better we are again come September.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 4:49 p.m.

what? someone really thinks because they pay taxes that they own the U? LOL, that's the mind of a well educated fellow at work!

There is something called tuition, ticket prices, and donations which pay for the large majority of the University of Utah. The fact that Utah is a PUBLIC school means that everything is open to the public and the university does receive SOME state funds, but almost 100% of the Huntsman Cancer Institute is paid for by private donations, as well as many other programs at the U. The football program rakes in enough cash to keep it and several other programs running with no tax monies.

That is in big contrast to a private school where things are generally kept in closets and behind closed and locked doors, despite receiving funds from the sponsoring organization, like a church or some other group. Do all catholics own Notre Dame? And all christians own TCU?

Here's one that will blow this braniacs mind. BYU accepts millions of dollars every year from the federal and state government in the form of grants. Following that reasoning, I own BYU, bought and paid for.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 3:31 p.m.

Good luck, Utah, in the PAC12

True Ute fans should be eager for next year...not anxious--there is a difference.

By the way, posters of the ilk of wwookie, hedgie, uteology, rock of the marne et. al appear to be geniuses juxtaposed against Chris B's astute football observations.

And I quote:

A few dropped TD passes and borderline questionable calls against Utah that prevented more TDs, or this game would have been a great finish.

This explains all of Chris B's predictions.
    He is a true guru of college football.

Any wonder Y fans find this all so hilarious?

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 23, 2010 3:00 p.m.

Utes looked impressive until Boise broke off that 84-yarder. You could tell the Broncos didn't want to be there, and Utes unleasheed on em.

Utes will do well in the Pac12, but need to go in with a little more humility, being new kind on the block.

Time and again last night, you saw nothing but yapping after a good defensive play, dance moves, hand gestures, and head bobbles.

A little less talk and alot more action will serve the Utes well.

Let the final score do your talking..

• UU702 Layton, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 2:36 p.m.

Certainly not pleased with the offensive performance last night and I wonder if internal player/team leadeship wasn't at the heart of most of the negatives this season...That being said a 10-3 record (7-1 in conference) with losses to two top 10 maybe top 5 teams and a surging Notre Dame is not the limp away from the conference "others" turned in.
    The rational person knows the foundation is strong and combined with a good dose of humility I look forward anxiously to seeing the Utes account well for themselves next year.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Dec. 23, 2010 1:47 p.m.

The PAC-10 powers are trembling with fear of the Mighty Utes.

• jersey Mt Laurel, NJ
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:58 p.m.

It took longer than 11 years to build the Ute program, I think some of the current Utes need to remember they represent everyone that has played at Utah. All Utes were bummed about the way the game ended last night. No pass rush, DB's not covering, dropped passes, penalties, embarrasing former Utes (like me) by fighting all week with Boise State players on and off the field. With that being said....good job going 10-3 on the year...lets get ready for next year.

Bryan Rowley

• Girlse State Midvale, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:56 p.m.

I just wish a boise player had grabbed some pom poms and celebrated at some time late in the game.

Would have been a perfect ending, after a guaranteed win and the trash talking by the yewts

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:51 p.m.

Chris B:
    I think you ran out of comments on the other board, so let me re-post, and you may respond:
    Cris B. | 8:18 a.m. Dec. 22, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    Utah 34
    Boise 24

I'll be reminding you all of my predictions for months to come after I am right.

May I, Chris, be the first to point out that if you drop the 4 from the Utah score, your prediction was pretty accurate.

Feel free to remind us....

Come on Chris, I marked it down for ya kiddo...

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:43 p.m.

UteExpat | 9:31 a.m.
    London, United Kingdom
    Lots of little brothers posting on an article about our team today!

The U is "our" team, bought and paid for every year.

If you notice, my post did not talk about "our team", but Utah "FANS"...

Not the class Utah fans like Big Ben, but the classless fans, that cannot see the Utes for what they are. Chris B, Hedge, Naval, Uteology etc.

I will tell you what I saw with the Utes, Shaky is gonna always be a stud in my book. I think the kid tried too hard last night, and nobody should ever fault a college kid for trying too hard.

Blechen is gonna be a stud. He is a big play guy, just like Shaky.

Cain did an amazing job. They had a game-plan that did not let him play. Too many dead on passes dropped. Too many stupid penalties. Lack of emotional control.

How's "your" soccer team doing?

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:13 p.m.

Keep dreaming...

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:12 p.m.

I am not a Y hater so I don't like pointing out the obvious to the stupid comments about the Las Vegas bowl. The Y didnt get to go to the Vegas bowl. The Y had to jump out of the MWC in case they won the conference next year just to get the privilege to play a #5 PAC12 team, possibly Utah again. Utah is moving up. The Y is moving out.

• averagefan19 Parowan, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:05 p.m.

Chris B: Did you not even watch the game??? Boise dropped passes also and made mistakes that kept them out of the endzone. Your right Boise made more plays, like totally dominating Utah's offense. P.S. if Boise is considered Girlsie State what does that make U??????

• stokethefire The Planet, Earth
    Dec. 23, 2010 11:51 a.m.

Moderate, nice spin, lets check out the other side of the coin for a minute. First of all, the Utes will be reeling from this loss for a long time. The long term loss of great recruits, will be telling. You will still get some that look to the lure of playing in the PAC, but so does Washington ST. How is that working out for them?

Me predicting a win by the Cougars against Utah next year? More like stating a fact of nature, like saying the sun will come up tomorrow, or spring follows winter, the law of gravity, conservation of mass, and so on.

Just another win in the long line of wins against PAC teams. Not really newsworthy.

We'll keep in touch about how those future BCS bowls are working out for ya.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Dec. 23, 2010 11:35 a.m.

The Utah football program is in decline. It's the end. They might as well go down to FCS. Sound familiar? Ridiculous, right? Congratulations, Utes, on a 10-3 season. I'm sure they'll do at least as good in the PAC as they did in the MWC.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 11:32 a.m.

You are right Mr. Rock time to move on from this season to next and the glories of being like Washington State and UCLA great members of a BCS conference.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 11:19 a.m.

The best part of moving to the Pac 12 is now it doesn't matter if the Cougs beat the Utes.
    It really doesn't.
    A loss to BYU does not keep Utah out of a BCS bowl.

On the other hand, if the Utes beat the Cougs, BYU's BCS bowl dreams are done. Imagine that. No more seasons coming down to the last game. Cougs will know in September if their season is over.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 11:16 a.m.

I thought Cain played well. Shakie a bit shakie out there. Great first quarter, but Boise State was too much. Had to quit listening to the homers on 700 AM.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 11:13 a.m.

Favorite quote from ESPN commentators(in the middle of the 4th quarter):

"And Utah will once again attempt to do SOMETHING with the football."

The reality is that yes the yewties had a good season overall and better than my cougars, but the self righteous hypocrisy of yewties crying about byu fans on their boards after they lived on byu articles for half the year is nauseating. And to be expected.

The self righteousness from the hill these days passes anything ever seen in Provo.

Good game Broncos

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 11:10 a.m.

The bronkos know they got some lucky breaks last night.

Boise made more plays last night, but I'm not convinced they are the better team. We've never had receivers drop so many balls, several of which were TD's or would have led to TDs.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 10:47 a.m.

The only problem with the Utes joining a AQ and BCS conference is that Utah will never go to another BCS Bowl again.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Dec. 23, 2010 10:42 a.m.

Dropped passes, penalties, poor play calling. Cain is not the person to blame for this loss.

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 10:38 a.m.

Y4Lyfe: go recheck BYU's contract with ESPN. They only have the rights to BYU's home games, and at least one home game a year will be televised live on BYU TV. At least three of the games will be on ABC or ESPN, the others will most likely find themselves on ESPN2, ESPN 3 or ESPN U. BYU has a bowl tie in for two years, and it is no better than any of the MWC bowls. BYU is much better off being on ESPN than the MTN network, but their deal is nothing to brag about. Just think, Vanderbilt and Baylor still get more TV revenue than BYU.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 23, 2010 10:30 a.m.

Not all Cain's fault last night. Dropped passes, and holding penalties erased points off the board. That being said...

Shakey dropped another pass!

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 10:06 a.m.

I agree, the players did not conduct themselves well last night. Stupid penalties and cheap shots cost us more than just points, they cost us the game. Overconfidence led to dropped passes and poor performance all around. But I think the number 1 thing that killed us was our offensive strategy. I have to agree with CougarClassic on his comment about not building an offense designed around our players' strengths. Honestly, I think that has been a big source of our problems for the latter part of the season. It might be time to start shopping for a new Offensive Coordinator, one who is better able to adjust the strategy in-game instead of hoping that the play will work the fourth time round, even though it hasn't for the previous three.

I'm a Ute fan to the end, but if they are going to prove that they are the team they've tried so hard to be, they need to step it up! GO UTES!

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Dec. 23, 2010 10:05 a.m.

Bad send off to the pac-12. At least BYU will make big money more than utah for a few years, WILL get more $$, and we have a contract to be on national TV 12 games a year and a bowl. Enjoy having some games not aired, IE-Montana St? No thanks, I'll be watching BYU play at Ole Miss and Texas.

That's better.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:57 a.m.

Moving on up to the West Side. While you didn't execute very well last night at least you tried to represent the old MWC. Congrats on a good season and let's party in Provo next year on ESPN (not the stinking MTN) Regardless of the outcome of our final games Y and U are winners educating great young minds. Both football programs are on an upward trajectory. The U is BCS and the Cougs need to go undefeated or face a minor bowl opponent.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:50 a.m.

Utah will make a nice addition to the pac 12 and help make that conference more respectable. The replacement of Utah by BSU in the MWC would have kept the MWC´s hopes of making it as an AQ conference alive, but then that lame-A school down south decided to go independent and destroy any chance the MWC had of breaking down the door to the main entrance of the BCS. That led to TCU joining the big east.

Yes, it is time for Utah to get better quality opponents and grow the program. They will help this state out tremendously. An occasional meeting with BSU would be great, but we have to keep that rivalry thing alive with the TDS, so that won´t happen unless it´s through bowl games, like the Poinsetia and LV bowl.

Utah had a chance in this game all the way till the 4th quarter, which is much more than any of the haters projected. A loss to a team that was almost playing for the NC is not the end of the world and just means Utah is not a top 10 team. Top 25? probably.

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:46 a.m.

I saw a team that was emotionally unstable. They were unable to maintain control. When you see the Utes dancing around the other team and mouthing off like immature little brats, they almost always lose.

Once the adrenaline wore off, they were done.

The Utes were bad on the offensive line. The running game was non-existent. The passing game
    lacked finesse, timing, and precision.

The Utes were mediocre on defense. They caused turnovers, but they also gave up big play after big play.

Lots of good athletes on the field for the Utes. Lots of better athletes for Boise State.

With better recruiting, the PAC 12 shouldbe a great adventure.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:46 a.m.

UteExpat - little bros, huh. I suppose being your little bro is a step up from you being Boise's little sister. Come on, man!!! Work on something original.

You are only as good as your last game, they like to say, so review that last game a few times for me, will you?

Looking forward to watching the Utes next year are you? Kind of like how you slow down to take a look at the car accident across the road?? Have fun with that.

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Are there honestly people saying that Utah lost to BYU? I seem to remember Utah winning that game. And to the fan that said Utah is the same as UTEP? wow. Maybe you forgot point 1 above, that Utah beay BYU.

Utah is fortunate to be moving to the PAC 12. It will be a tougher road, they will lose more than what they have over the last few years in the MWC. But given the current system, it is better to have the opportunity in your own control than to put that control in the hands of a make believe computer system that no one knows how the outcome is generated.

It is also better to have the Vegas bowl be the second worst case scenario (the worst being not bowl eligible) in the PAC 12 than having it be the second best scenario in the MWC.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:39 a.m.

"Even then, the Broncos missed some easy scoring opportunities in the 2nd half (like the fumble into the end zone).

Really?!!! The reason why that was not an easy TD was because the Utes All-American Freshman safety, Brian Blechen made a play on the ball and caused the touch back. Come on!

How is it that all that Boise offense only produced 26 points? Because the defense did play really well when it mattered!

On the other side of the ball, the Utes dropped passes and were called on penalties in the worst situations possible.

The Utes gave the game away if anything. Get it right.

• UteExpat London, United Kingdom
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:31 a.m.

Lots of little brothers posting on an article about our team today!

Starting next year, each game will be tough (well, almost--we still play a few patsies and warm-up games). Maybe Utah won't go to a BCS bowl anytime soon, but I, for one, am looking forward to watching the Utes respond to the challenge of playing in the PAC 12 week in and week out.

Good luck Utes. Whit, you have some holes to fill for next year (and your OC needs a talking-to, at least). Get to it and see you in the fall.

• derecha Central, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:29 a.m.

Not Cain's fault at all. He, if anything, was the highlight on this teams offense. With crucial dropped passes and untimely penalties, that was their biggest problem.

• scott Alpine, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:23 a.m.

Wake up and smell the coffee "utes rock"

Boise State basically only needed ONE QUARTER to beat Utah

BSU 2nd Q - 16
    Utah game - 3

BSU 2nd Q - 217 yds
    Utah game - 200 yds

The Broncos played a horrible first quarter, called off the dogs in the fourth quarter, and still beat the Utes by more than three touchdowns.

The Utes were dominated in every facet of the game.

Utah's defense looked mildly effective only because Boise State's offense took a while to get their timing back, and even then, the Broncos dropped several easy balls that they normally have no problem catching.

The game was much more lopsided than the final score.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:20 a.m.

Since this board is technically about commenting on the written article, I will say this; Mr. Rock's comments are his own, and he is lucky to be getting paid to say them. That said,

Hailstorm, eloquent and moving, but really? I saw a group of kids that were undisciplined, unmotivated and not worthy of their own hype. I just hope this was a good lesson that they can learn to grow up from. how did they spend all those practices, breaking dishes and working on rude tweets? That falls squarely on the coaching staff.

Chrissy, you are doing a good job of not bashing the TDS(short for Touchdowns remember, something the Utes need to have for a goal next season), but you just can't help yourself when it comes to making predictions can you? Looking Rose-y? Really???

Here's a prediction for you, Utah finds itself barely bowl eligible next year, and gets beat in the Vegas bowl again by the second place MWC team, since the MWC champ will be in a BCS bowl again.

• cougar4ever2 SLC, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:15 a.m.

Dear Utah: Start looking for a REALLY good QB for next year or you are going to be an embarrassment to yourselves and the entire state of Utah, kind of like last night.

• cougar4ever2 SLC, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 9:10 a.m.

What comes around goes around, and it's coming around! Gotta love all that pre-game trash talking and thug-ish behavior from the Utes. No one from BYU needs to point out the un-classiness of the Utes anymore. They do a great job of proving that all on their own, and now the PAC 12 gets to deal with it. Good riddance. I hope the Vegas Bowl enjoys having them back for many years to come.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 8:58 a.m.

Utes don't rock

Take off the crimson colored glasses. Any fan who's watched the Broncos throughout the season knows that the Utes were fortunate that the Broncos played the worst game they've played all season or this could easily have been another TCU-like 7-47 blowout.

It took the Broncos most of the first half to shake of the rust and get their offense running. Even then, the Broncos missed some easy scoring opportunities in the 2nd half (like the fumble into the end zone).

Total offense tells the real story of this game though:

BSU 543 yds.
    Utah 200 yds.

The Broncos had more rushing yards (202) than the Utes had total yards (200).

Cain looked worse than Heaps did during the first half of the season.

• Just Wondering... Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 23, 2010 8:52 a.m.

After last night, the Pac 10 is wondering if might have overpaid to get into the #40 tv market in the country, and the Sugar Bowl definitely wants its trophy back now!

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 8:45 a.m.

"Nine straight wins is nothing to dismiss."

Did you really say that, Rock? Yes you did; it's right there in black and white.

All you sports-media types like claiming a winning streak is a reliable indicator of what team to put your money on in the current skirmish.

Obviously the Utes' nine-game, bowl-winning streak played no part last night's results. They simply got their behinders kicked, even by an off-their-game BSU team.

(If Coach Petersen were like Jerry Sloan, there'd have been no bragging to the media about this 26-to-3.)

And as for "moving-on time," rather than AQ BCS-bound, the Las Vegas Maaco Bowl will be the BEST the Utes have to hope for, for a dozen years to come ... at least.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 8:39 a.m.

That was UGLY.

Ute fans should make standing reservations for Las Vegas.

They'll be there the next few years.

That is if they are bowl eligible.

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 23, 2010 8:38 a.m.

"Utah is not moving on. They are moving up...."

to the same level as Washington State and Colorado.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 8:33 a.m.

Utah is not moving on. They are moving up.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Dec. 23, 2010 8:14 a.m.

This was the first time that I never pulled for Utah in a non-conference game. Now, I never have to root for them again. Starting last night, my favorite team is who ever Utah is playing. So far, I'm 1-0.

• FaifeauSam Lehi, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 7:47 a.m.

Sorry, Utes, but your were overmatched and you will be overmatched every time you step on the field in the Pac-12. As I see it, you "lost" four straight games with losses to TCU, ND, BYU and BSU. Even the BYU game was a loss because of the luck that allowed you to score a win in the column with a 1-point victory over a team that outdid you in every category. Good luck...I was hoping for more from the team that represents my state, but who really cares. It's only a game and games are for little kids. Stick to intramurals and weak schedules and beat your chests. Actually, the Utes lost this before they ever set foot on the field with their childish behavior before the game and as they were warming up and fighting on national TV. They certainly didn't send a good message to the nation with their cheap shots and lack of discipline on the field. Let's hope for the future, but I don't see much difference when they step across the line to the Pac-12.

• ute alumni Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 7:33 a.m.

ures rocks? I think not. You are going to have to come up with better excuses than that. The fact is they should have lost to byu and were fortunate to have as good a winning record as they did. Big announcement after the bcs bowl games end. I am afraid this news will kill the utes' pac 12 high.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 7:25 a.m.

No excuses. We lost to a better team. That is all there is to it. But I tell you what. This was a great season and the future for this team is bright! We had a freshman all-american, most everyone on defense is back (unless burton and siliga go NFL-both good bets) we have some issues, but they are fixable, especially with this coaching staff. GO UTES! So proud of you guys today!

• Utes Rock! Santaquin, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 5:43 a.m.

Something was really "off" for the Utes tonight and I think it had more to do with the receivers timing being off than it did with BSU being good. Yeah sure... Boise is good, but their performance against Utah was NOT overwhelming. How often does does Brooks, Smithson & Christopher drop passes right in "bread basket"? How often Phillip's miss a chip-shot field goal...? Let alone 2 of 'em. Boise MAYBE would have won anyway, but Utah's toughest opponent tonight was... ITSELF.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 4:54 a.m.

What I saw on the field last night was a Utah team that was valiant in their efforts and did not give up , nor did they let the State of Utah down. Brent Mussberger mentioned BYU and their recruitment of players from the Islands, his trivia question included " Quarterback U " as he called it in his praise for the players from the Y.
    I saw a group of young men push their hearts, hopes, and physical endeavors on every single play. The defense was on the field a long time, opportunities were lost , passes were dropped, and a back-up quarterback was doing his best to move his team against one of the nations strongest defenses.
    I saw teamwork , endurance, and 110% effort by every player on every play.
    I gained value myself by being able to watch young men push their physical abilities to the limit and never giving up no matter how large or small, great or petty their assignment. All of those hours of practice on the field, in private practice,in the classroom, and the self motivation needed in this game will carry forward and strengthen their characters for the rest of their lives.

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Dec. 23, 2010 3:19 a.m.

That score shouldn't have been as close, utep and utah are very close.

• CougarClassic Orem, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 1:40 a.m.

"Rushers didn't move particularly well."

That's because they are called Running backs, not rushers. You sound like my wife.

The Offensive game plan was to win by using the arm of Terrance Cain instead of the feet of Wide and Asiata and/or the brute of the O-line.

Bad plan!!!

I hate coaches who fall in love with their play books instead of using the talent of the players they have.

Also, I can't stand it when writers write the story before the game is even played. This story was written before the game knowing BSU would win and was meant as a tribute to Whittingham's past bowl record.

However, the stars are more aligned when Rock comments on all things Ute, and stays away from anything BYU, leave that to Harmon, Rayburn and Call who actually have some insight.

Then again, when Rock sounds like my wife, I question his credibility.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:35 a.m.

The PAC 12 bound Utes have been schooled by the MWC bound Broncos, 3-36 and 3-26 in their last two games.

The Utes are breathing a sigh of relief that they won't have to play the Broncos anymore. The Utes can hide behind the skirts of the PAC 12 and use that old "but our schedule is already too tough" excuse for never scheduling the Broncos again.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:33 a.m.

Yes, it hurts bad.

But give me a couple days and I'll be over it, knowing that the season was overall a very impressive one. With Oregon and Stanford both not on the schedule next year, 2011 is looking ROSEY!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 23, 2010 12:24 a.m.

Nov. 27, 2010
    Head Coach Kyle Whittingham

"I couldn't be more happy for the seniors on our team going out with a win this way. This is the winningest group of seniors in the history of the school and is a fitting end to their careers here."

...or end their careers here. National TV.

I bet that's the last time the Ute Fans will storm the field for a few years.

I rarely try to prognosticate, but I will take a shot at it, and wager that the next time they storm the field again, it will also be because they beat a 6-6 team by one point.

Life is cyclical.