BYU football: Offensive staff could be overhauled

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 22, 2010 6:15 p.m.

Re: Commentator: It is called a "Pink Slip " I know I will cut you some slack you were excited to get your point across.

Oh it is all about football do not for one minute think other wise. The QB mess was orchestrated to justify starting the fair haired boy over the three return missionaries who by the coach's Owen admission's " Skill

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Dec. 22, 2010 5:33 p.m.

Man!, would I LOVE to have Ben Cahoon and Ty Detmer as assistants!!!

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Dec. 22, 2010 4:27 p.m.

Look... some of you rediculous clowns out there are obviously either not aware that Bronco didn't hire the O.C. or you don't understand what that means. Add to that that the last of Crowton's recruits are now finishing out there eligibility and more of Bronco's recruits are getting their starts. Even Anae has helped in the Recruiting side but he also has to come through as a coach... and he's not doing that.

Look at the number o True Freshman stand outs we have this year. We have never had this many. This is a great offensive team with a lot of talent. More talent than what Anae can develop with his style. It's just not aggressive enough in the passing department. The weak link has now been exposed. The O.C. is the problem. Bronco said after he fired the Defensive Coordinator that he would evaluate the offensive staff at the end of the season. This should be no real surprise to anyone out there who knows what is happening. Bronco is sticking to that previous statement. The time has come. Let's see how affective his decisions will be.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Dec. 22, 2010 3:59 p.m.

Glad to see you finally got the message Harmon...Now at least a couple million of us won't be quite so diasappointed in you media boys any more....But it would be a mistake for Bronco to let Doman, Higgins and Rynolds go. You might want to put your two cents in there about them. Anae is the obvious weak link in the chain. He just doesn't have the perception to pick apart defensive secondary's. His passing attacks are too easily read and too predictable. It's the timing that Anae has never been able to get right. They don't put the secondary off balance enough or force the spread like they need too. He needs to maximize his receivers and their routes on every pass play and using the run to primarily set up the key passing situations. Heaps and and your receivers will figure it out once they've seen enough of these types of plays in practice. They just haven't had any of those type of plays from The O.C. He was too busy being in his quarterbacks face. He doesn't belong on the sideline. The Booth is his

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Dec. 22, 2010 2:19 p.m.

Ah Tomahawk Red

The fact that you Utes don't like Bronco convinces us even more of his value. Maybe you should take care of your basketball team instead of obsessing over our football program and our wonderful coach.

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 22, 2010 12:38 p.m.

Slim Shady 801 | 12:20 a.m.
    Bluffdale, UT

"And this comes from a convert to Mormonism. Oh wait, I am a second class citizen since I am not a lifer....my bad."

The BYU HC has to be Temple Recommend worthy. I do not know if they have to be a "member".

I have no idea what you mean by being a second class citizen. Listen again to the words of the sacrament prayers, and tell my why you're second class again. Makes me wonder where you are really coming from.
    Falcons sign backup QB Ty Detmer
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 3/25/04

"Having worked with Falcons offensive coordinator Greg Knapp in San Francisco in 1998, Detmer is familiar with Atlanta's new offense.

"Obviously the offensive system played a big part in [the decision]," Detmer said.

Knapp wants Detmer to tutor starter Michael Vick.

"That's one of the things that we talked about," Detmer said. "I've been doing that pretty much the last few years with different quarterbacks.""

Personally, I'd love it if BYU brought in a convert to be QB coach...

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 22, 2010 8:43 a.m.

No double standards "Earning your Keep" seem's to be the catch phrase in Provo, the post season looks encouraging, however, so did the beginning of the 2010 season and look at that fiasco.

I will watch and listen for actual news, not Hype. I would love to see Robert embrace the old blues song number " Hit The Road Jack and don't you com back no more no more, Hit The Road Jack and don;t you come back no more, no more, Hit The Road Jack and don't you come back no more ..."

"POLY" Cougar Nation !

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Dec. 22, 2010 8:23 a.m.

I am sure coach Bronco will make thoughtful and informed decisions on his staff situation. Clearly someone leaked info to the DN that should not have. This maybe is someone who has had internal disagreements with Coach Bronco and has been told that changes will be made and has projected their situation onto all the other coaches on the offense. Thus, the info leaked may not involve the whole Offensive Coaching staff but maybe just one or two coaches.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 22, 2010 1:11 a.m.

I would have really looked at Anae after the "take a knee " fiasco against UCLA. From what I understand Anae was hired BEFORE Mendenhall and was not Broncos decision to make. Help me out here Cougars, was Anae hired first ? If so who hired him ? That just doesn't seem to make sense.
    Sometimes I get really confused with the BYU process of doing things. By letting the coaching staff go and then to go through the process of re-applying did that save the $$ in raises or bonus payouts from the bowl victory ?
    I'm not talking smack nor do I want to be criticized by the Cougar fans for asking, my wife graduated from BYU and she was curious about how this can happen.
    This has been the weirdest year ever in BYU football. There was the replay booth scandal, going independent, a few critical mistakes at RES that may have cost them the game, and now releasing the staff, I'm left to wonder what happens to the recruits who were working with the staff ? The letter of intent day is just 6 weeks away and some recruits could easily get lost in the shuffle.

• Slim Shady 801 Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 22, 2010 12:20 a.m.

Why does the BYU coach have to be LDS? Aren't there other professions at BYU from other denominations? Pretty shallow I think! And this comes from a convert to Mormonism. Oh wait, I am a second class citizen since I am not a lifer....my bad.

• badlandscougar great plains, sd
    Dec. 21, 2010 10:26 p.m.

i would like to see anae and others retained. i read heavy-handed when describing anae and felt that comment was unfair to anae. football is becoming controlled by the discontent of some players. coaches are just that, teachers of basic
    theories of their success. heavy-handed means someone is rebelling and feels targeted...just play the game.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:40 p.m.

Oh boy, all of the fair weather fans are out in force calling for Bronco's head. Only true fans who understand who "BYU" is will understand. There is not a single player at BYU who would want to get rid of Mendenhall. He is a great coach, he has done great things already but shaking things up has to happen to be even greater. Just becuase he takes the blame doesn't make him a bad coach. BYU recruits coaches not only for their coaching style but also for the individual qualities. Again many miss the real reason for hiring Mendenhall and it's not all about Football. Get over yourselves. He will figure it out and when he does, we will see the fruits of his labor.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:29 p.m.

May sound like "Bronco Kool-Aid" but put me 100% in his camp:

1 - Taking full public responsibility for the two-headed qb monster is what a leader does. Privately analyzing the team that came up with the decision is what a coach does.

2 - Who would you rather be, Jaime Hill or the entire offensive team? I think a good man takes seriously the public humiliation of a man, this allows individuals to save face while accomplishing the team goals.

3 - We have a coach who demands commitment from his players, inspires that commitment by personal example, and is now demanding the same from his coaching team. I like that.

4 - He has won with consistency and with integrity, and I wouldn't trade the Bronco years and outcome with the Whittingham years and outcome. I have the utmost respect for Whit and the Ute team, but I would rather be be BYU with it's unique circumstances and the success that Bronco has re-built under greater restrictions.

• StocksOnTheRocks American Fork, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 8:23 p.m.

Sad Thing, all this had to be pointed out Bronco, he never picked up on any of it, or refused to acknowledge it, or confront it, because he is to much of a nice guy??

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 21, 2010 7:50 p.m.

We only had "600" to watch in NM, but you will have 40 thousand watch while you are getting smashed in Vegas - how will that work for ya?? Only 24 hours from now, dude. Can't wait.

• gregoriasofyork Provo, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2010 7:43 p.m.

Cougar fans are embarrassing sometimes. I am tired of so many BYU fans declaring BYU a national championship contender every single year. Be realistic! And another thing, does anybody else think it is absolutely ridiculous to be asking for Bronco Mendenhall to be fired after taking the Cougars to 6 straight bowl appearances, 4 bowl victories, a .500 record against a consistently good University of Utah team (although I will admit the record should be 4-2), and completely turning not just a defense, but an entire team around this season? If you do your homework then you will realize that Lavell Edwards would have been toast if BYU administration subscribed to your standards for coaching!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 21, 2010 6:22 p.m.

The Utes have a great idea the Cougars can follow, hire ex-cougar players.

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2010 5:37 p.m.

Anae has to go, his play calling vs Utah was terrible. Playing not to lose usually allows a poorer team to beat you as we saw during that horrible game. BYU by running well against very bad teams caused "Take a Knee" Anae to think the Cougars were a power running team which they are not. When BYU was a point down with 90 seconds left and the ball on the Cougars 20 Anae called two runs on first and second down that gained nothing and led to a third and 11. Jake did move the team but you all know the rest. Anae just refuses to learn from his mistakes. BYU will likely go to a running game coordinator and a passing game coordinator. Reynolds is going nowhere, Higgins may be out as a result of the poor development of the tight ends and wide outs. Domain will stay and maybe pick up more responsibility. The defense has three temp. or GA guys coaching, there has to be a shake up there also.

• JDMAC Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 5:03 p.m.

Sure looks like this should be a great year. UTEP had several talented players and the game provided a solid start for 2011.

Do have a concern about the quarterback's ability to throw close to a spot and at the right time. Is this something that can be coached, or is it an innate talent?

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 4:25 p.m.

@Tomahawk Red

You're right. We need to get back to the national prominence that we had with Crowton as Head Coach. Oh wait...

Here's an idea: Why don't you go read and comment on Ute stories. I know there's not much for reporting on the Utes, and I know that BYU news draws far more attention than Utah's news, but you chose to be a Ute. Is it really so bad over there that you feel like BYU fans want to hear your 2 cents?

Trust me, we're just fine over here. No need to worry about us. Now be a good Ute and follow your program into Pac obscurity.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 4:19 p.m.

Tomahawk Red---
    What big-name LDS football coach did you have in mind? yeah, there's not many... Bronco has done a fine job and one rebuilding year does not warrant firing the head coach, which is why I am surprised he feels a need for the change on the offense.
    But this isnt Florida and this isnt Texas, tomahawk, four years of 10 win seasons in a row is probably as good as BYU will ever be. Thats not an insult to the program, or anything, its just a fact that BYU is not Texas.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 2:44 p.m.

Bronco mendenhall is an awful leader. BYU erred big time when they offered him the job. BYU football will not get back to its usually high level of competition until he's gone. Holmoe needs to go get a nationally prominent and well respected head coach. if they did, BYU football would be scary.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 21, 2010 11:42 a.m.

WOW! It's common for employers to release, replace, and reassign employees. We're just looking at a few people here. What's the big deal?

• justathought Draper, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 11:41 a.m.

I think this is Mendenhall's way of getting Doman to call the Offense. I like Anae. We need a o line coach. Reynolds need to find work elsewhere.

• CalmDown Frost Free, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2010 11:35 a.m.

Your apology is a gesture of unusual humility around these parts. Very gracious, but not necessary, judging by your sincerity. These blogs get caught up with a lot of intentional and personal bashing and I know several of these boys very well, but it is clear yours had no such intent now. Actually, the misspellings, knowing now that all three were unintentional, are kind of humorous. Have a BLUE Christmas!

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Dec. 21, 2010 10:46 a.m.

No one has been fired or released!!!

The staff is being evaluated and I think it is very likely there WILL be changes.

IMHO, Mendenhall took public blame for the 2-QB mistake like a good leader should. But he knows it was a terrible mistake and those who pushed for it should be held accountable. My sense is that was Anae. And combined with his questionable play calling at times and lack of raport with some of his players he likely will not return.

Before we annoint Doman as OC, remember that we have learned time and again that some coaches are suited as position coaches rather than head coaches or coordinators. I have no idea what Doman is best suited for. But I hope Mendenhall has the ability to understand that and not throw anyone into a situation they are not prepared for.

Crowton is clearly a coordinator and was a good QB coach - not HC. Anae was a good o-line coach - not OC. Mendenhall is a great DC and is a unique fit for HC at BYU but probably not anywhere else. Doman? Good QB coach but who knows beyond that. This will be interesting.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Dec. 21, 2010 10:35 a.m.

I watched nearly every game this year. I saw the turnaround on defense when Bronco took over. I saw the run-first strategy keep SDSU off the field for a good win. I saw a dominant running game emerge, one that took pressure off Heaps and set up the pass. I saw Heaps emerge into a real talent.

I also saw the non-call on the BYU fumble in the SDSU game. I saw the knee-down non-fumble that gave Utah a chance when BYU was dominating. I saw a few calls that I disagreed with. I've also second-guessed hall of fame coaches like LaVell, Don James, Vince Lombardi.

What I saw was a very young team become a very good team, something that Texas was unable to do this year with their young team.

What I did NOT see was bad coaching. I saw great coaching - a team of freshmen jell like I've never seen before.

What we will NOT see is a wholesale firing of offensive coaches.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:49 a.m.

Offensively BYU has had terrible play calling for much of the year. BYU needs to upgrade their coaching staff. Hill is a jerk, always was. The guy had an attitude and needed to go.
    Bronco is responsible for his team, at least he's making some changes.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:47 a.m.

Lots of unemployed experts giving you advice, Bronco. Stay the course. You are the Man.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:42 a.m.

"Tom Holemoe really needs to campaign for better players from the BYU admisistration because the Y won't compete with the caliber of players they currently have."

I disagree. There were too many scandals from players behaving badly in the Edwards and Crowton years, and the best thing Bronco did was to institute a more strict policy in this regard. I completely agree with Bronco's philosophy that football is further down on the list than the honor code, even if that means that BYU doesn't get the best football players. What good is a winning BYU football team if there are constantly BYU players in the news for breaking the law? Sure, they should recruit better players, but never at the expense of BYU's good name.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:33 a.m.

No one has posted this so here is something to consider:

Football season has ended except for bowls. Openings are available across the country at dozens of schools.

Other schools want good people.
    Bronco released everyone to go look if they want to find something different.
    No one was fired before Christmas.
    What Coach Mendenhall is saying is:

If you (coaches) know you might not pass muster after evaluations then you might want to be marketing your self while the job openings are out there. Good luck.

This was the best thing he could have done to help his coaches who might know they weren't at the top of the game.

Mendenhall knew you couldn't replace offensive coaches in mid stream because it is execution oriented on set patterns or plays. So he waitedd.

Defense is execution of knowledge with passion.
    No passion-no stay.

Who will go?
    My guess:
    If you watched the early games it was not accuracy of the QB's. It was not catching anything and everything that hit the hands. (Receivers coachs).
    6 Top Tight End freshmen and no one stepped up? (inside receivers coach)
    Offensive integration failures (OC coach)
    Mendenhall knows!

• NewsJunkie Centerville, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:33 a.m.

Re: Patriot

While I can partly understand what you are saying, that "good kids will grow and learn from other good kids if the mentoring is done right." However, relaxing the honor code is not the something that I want to hear. The worst thing that Crowton did, more than anything, more than allowing the consecutive scoring string to snap in a 0:3 loss to the Utes, was bringing in players who ended up in the news for DUI and rape allegations.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:19 a.m.

re: optimist | 10:37 p.m. Dec. 20, 2010

I'm glad you clarified the staff w/ the phrase Dream Team.

Do you really think Chow or Crowton would leave their current positions?

Ty Detmer & S Young as coaches? Wouldn't they be better off back in Bristol, CT (ESPN HQ) carrying the banner for tds on the airwaves?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:08 a.m.

Re patriot:

I can't believe I just read that.

• Brenden Aiken, SC
    Dec. 21, 2010 8:59 a.m.

Huh, I must have read a different column than most of the posters here. This one only said the offensive staff was being evaluated, which is standard end-of-season procedure on any team. I didn't see anywhere that anyone had been released or re-assigned, only that there is the possibility of such action--if deemed necessary after all things have been considered.

That might be a big 'if'. This is, after all, the same offensive staff that put together four 10+ win seasons, won the conference several years consecutively, and put up some impressive numbers on some decent opponents. Sure, there were some embarrassing moments this year, but with a bunch of freshmen starters at key positions and a paucity of senior leadership I don't know why that would surprise anyone.

There is every reason to be optimistic about what the current staff can do with the rising squad, and no real reason to expect anyone to be shown the door.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 8:53 a.m.

Bronco should continue to run the defensive as the coordinator. Lots of coaches do double duty and Bronco needs to run the defense because no one else has proven they can. Tom Holemoe really needs to campaign for better players from the BYU admisistration because the Y won't compete with the caliber of players they currently have. What this means is relaxing the honor code a bit (as Lavell did) and bringing in inner city players and other non-members as well as more kids from Tonga and the islands especially for the line. I am a firm believer that good kids will grow and learn from other good kids if the mentoring is done right.

• CSprings Cougar Colorado Springs, CO
    Dec. 21, 2010 8:16 a.m.

I support Coach Mendenhall and laugh at the silly posts calling for his replacement....trolls. He accomplished the defensive turnaround and now he needs to do the same with the offensive staff keeping those that are not the problem. I believe the coming year and years are bright for BYU football. Go cougars!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 8:08 a.m.

Can all of you critics, who don't feel anyone working for an LDS Institution should ever be fired, because it's the "Un-Christian thing to do".....Grow Up!

This is the real World and a business. It's OK relax.

A Coaching position at BYU or anywhere else in the Church employ, is not akin to having your "Calling and Election Made Sure".

People are fired from LDS Business' every day.

Change can be good. It's why missionaries are frequently transfered.

Everyone saw during the Nineties that Norm Chow stayed to long, for his sake and BYU's.

The 90's, save '96, were dismal.

Crowton never should have been hired, Nepotism rarely succeeds, Val Hale hired his old High School QB and it was a disaater.

The leaps from positions Coach to Coordinator to Head Coach are dramatic. Coaches should know their strength's and play to them. Anae is a good position coach, OC???

Anae is simply not a good fit for BYU's traditional Offense.

Time for a change

However, I suspect Bronco's "loyalty to a fault" may get in the way of him doing the right thing, for himself and Jake.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    Dec. 21, 2010 7:50 a.m.

Judging from the comments on the fan web sites, this was sure to happen. If there are changes that need to be made you have to have an evaluation period. It is only totally fair that notice is given to everyone. I am sure that every good coach does this. I don't believe you can progress unless you evaluate completely what you did in the previous year. Businesses, often times have to reinvent themselves to be successful. R&D plays a huge part in the success of business. That is essentially all that this is. How do we get better? I see a little change but I think philosophy will certainly will be seriously discussed. I would not be surprised if no personnel changes took place but assignments and philosophy were the main discussion.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 7:20 a.m.

Who can ever forget the first year with Anae in the Vegas bowl...

When Anae called a running play, instead of taking a knee, with seconds left in the first half and BYU backed up against thier own goal line? Consequently, UCLA scored and it took a blocked field goal to win the game.

Robert Anae is a good Coach for the Offensive line, which is all he ever was coming out of Texas Tech.

It was a bizzare hire form the get go.

He had NEVER been an OC before, Ever!

Bronco has been frustrating to watch at times, because he appears to be a slow learner. He was the last to see the 2 QB system was a joke, when everyone else knew the consequences to follow.

He pays no attention to poor offensive calls and game plans on the Offensive side of the ball.

I wish Bronco were more a student of the game from an historical perspective. He appears by his own admission to have no knowledge on the offensive side of the ball.

Well it is time, long past due, to get someone who does. Detmer, Doman, someone who knows how it works. clicks.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 7:06 a.m.

I'm not sure why people keep saying that Bronco "fired" his entire offensive staff. I don't know how it works where you do business but if you get fired where I work you don't get the option to "re-apply".

I think it's pretty easy to say that MOST of his current staff will be back, maybe all of them, but in new assignments.

I have always liked Bronco but I haven't always been a true Bronco believer... until this season. Teams that start 1-4 usually don't finish the way the Cougars did this season. I fully trust that whatever is going on with the coaches will be the positive changes that could make this program great for years to come.

It's going to be a long off-season. Go Cougars!!!

• da bob Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 1:18 a.m.

Cmon guys, this is nothing more than a management strategy. Bronco is trying not to single anyone out (cough... Anae), and is incorporating everyone to mask the problem.

We will see Doman and Reynolds around. Not worried about them.

• bbzebra Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 12:37 a.m.

A credible source has told me that Ty Detmer's home in Texas was recently listed for sale..... Coincidence? I hope not.

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 12:18 a.m.

Hans Olsen reported:

Brandon Doman - OC
    Lance Reynolds - staying
    Ben Cahoon - Receivers
    Chad Lewis - Tight Ends
    Mark Weber - staying
    Ty Detmer - Quarterbacks

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 11:42 p.m.

I would love to see my favorite Texan back on campus. I don't know if the comment boards are a reliable source of info ... but I love the idea of Ty back at the Y.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 11:26 p.m.

The whining from the trolls on the hill is simply evidence that Bronco is on the right track revamping the offensive staff.

The fact that they're calling for Bronco to fire himself just shows how desperate the trolls are.

Anae wasn't getting the job done. Too conservative. When everyone in the stadium knows BYU is going to run on 1st down, it's time to get a new offensive coordinator, someone with some imagination.

Heaps moved the ball to the 20-yard line against Utah with still plenty of time to move the ball closer, if not score a touchdown.

Instead, Anae decides to sit on the ball, losing yardage on three straight dives up the middle, and then settling for a 40+ yard FG try.

McMahon would have ignored Anae and scored the game winning TD. Heaps could have done the same if Anae hadn't shackled him with training wheels most of the season. It's been reported that Heaps wasn't even allowed to audible from a running play to a passing play. If a run was called, Heaps could only audible to another running play.

• duke5 vancouver, wa
    Dec. 20, 2010 11:22 p.m.

Its really to bad Bronco did not fire himself!

• Orem Cougar Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 11:13 p.m.

Some of the comments on this post are moronic. People who think Bronco should be fired are numb skulls! He has won 2 conference titles, won over 9 games for the last three years, excepting this year of course. Lance Reynolds will be back on the staff, he has a great football mind and has done a terrific job as RB coach. Brandon Doman, Chad Lewis, Ben Cahoon, and maybe Ty Detmer will be a great coaching staff. Let Bronco coach and get off his butt!

• R.Burgundy Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 11:10 p.m.

Why does everyone say "true freshman"? What does "true" mean anyway? Is there such thing as a "false" freshman? Just say "freshman" or "red shirt freshman" this makes it so much easier on the reader or listener. The other day I heard someone say "true sophomore" and I about threw up! We all get it when we hear "redshirt" which means the player skipped a year which means all you have to say is freshman or sophomore which we will know the player didn't skip a year

• jonjon Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 11:09 p.m.

Bronco has been waiting to do this for awhile, he finally had BYU back him up with this decision after this season. Seems like the Utah game made this easier to get done. Good luck Brandon at OC, also there's reports that Ty Detmer has put in for the Quarterback coach.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 11:04 p.m.

Why is it people think that great players immediately make great coaches. Actually, I think there is little correlation. Hope the Y the best in its efforts to improve, and appreciate a head coach who gives the staff time to get new jobs of their choosing.

• Arizona2 Tucson, AZ
    Dec. 20, 2010 11:03 p.m.

I think Mendenhall is a great coach and has done a great job, I just hope he isn't outguessing himself here. If there ends up being too much change (particularly with schemes and expectations), you lose a lot of the lessons that were learned at the end of the season--although I wouldn't mind seeing a little more imagination in the play calling--take for instance Boise State. I don't think they have the talent that BYU has, but the are creative and effective. I know Bronco doesn't like trick plays all that much, but Boise State has shown that with great execution, trick plays work against squads with a lot more talent.

• sg Santa Clarita, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 10:54 p.m.

Robert Anae should have been let go a couple of years ago. His offensive schemes are terrible. Lance Reynolds is okay, but not great. Bronco really should step down as head coach and be happy as the defensive coordinator. But hey, what do I know.

• optimist Sun City, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 10:37 p.m.

Chad Lewis: Tight end coach
    Ben Cahoon: Wide Receiver Coach
    Ty Detmer: QB Coach
    Steve Young: HC
    Norm Chow: OC (Or Gary Crowton)
    Bronco Mendahal DC

All other coaches and asst coaches, chosen by committee of all the other coaches listed above.

Above is a dream team for a new independent BYU
    Cougar Football team. We are the Cougars without any other cute slogans. No more quest for perfection. No more band of brothers. Just tough, hard fighting, well diciplined, winning Cougars. That's who we are.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Dec. 20, 2010 10:31 p.m.

Releasing all of the offensive coaches is a good move. The ones that want to leave, or feel they should leave will find other jobs. Those who want to stay will reapply and compete against the best available.

BYU will end up with coaches who really want to be there and who are the best available.

Bronco will be able to shuffle assignments and restructure. I suspect that most of the coaches will return.

• optimist Sun City, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 10:18 p.m.

CalmDown | 7:01 p.m. Dec. 20, 2010
    Frost Free, Utah says:

Nielson? Larkin? Mumms? If you meant to slaughter these names, I guess that's funny to someone (crickets chirping). Otherwise, try Nelson, Lark and Munns. These spelling revisions will fit better with those eternal stats you're hanging on to."

Thanks, I appreciate the spelling lesson. I stand corrected and appreciate that you call my attention to the errors. I do know how to spell these names and I love each of these kids and appreciate what they are doing for us at BYU. There was absolutely no intent to slaughter any names or to be disrespectful in any way.

I will try to slow down with my posting and try to be more accurate with my spelling. I stand by all else said and we may all respectful disagree with each other as long as it remaings respectful. Thanks again.

• FireHawk Aurora, CO
    Dec. 20, 2010 10:15 p.m.

I've seen Detmer's name several times in the posts but not at all in the News Article. Is there a rumor he will be coaching or is he interested? I love Detmer...and hope to see him get into coaching because he is a true field general and did extremely well "Coaching" and understanding Offense in the pros.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 10:13 p.m.

Good luck coach in the coming days/weeks as you fine tune an offensive staff to take the Cougars into independence.

I also like the addition of Chad Lewis to the athletic department.

Absolutely hilarious to see the regular Ute trolls so frazzled by this news that they feel the urge to foretell the downfall of Cougar football as we know it...again.

Why all their concern for an "irrelevant", non-AQ program on the eve of the eve of the Utes playing in a high-profile game of two top-20 powerhouses to maintain the universe's longest bowl winning streak?

Curiouser and curiouser...

Dec. 20, 2010 10:11 p.m.

I think that most of these coaches will be back. Bronco did this because the OC thought he was running the show, and this is Bronco's way of saying I'm in charge, not you. Doman for OC!!!!! BYU will be just fine, and I bet you see a lot of familiar faces on the offensive coaching staff, minus one or two coaches. Personally I hope Anae does else were. I am way past sick of his terrible play calling at crucial points in big games. GO COUGS!!!!!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 10:11 p.m.

I trust Bronco. He doesn't strike me as a person who reacts or acts rashly. On the contrary, he strikes me as a very thoughtful and meditative person who seeks for inspiration in his decisions.

He's not firing everyone; he reorganizing. Some may not come back and others may change jobs. I think he will make good decisions.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 10:10 p.m.

since when does tied for 3rd mean 5th uteology?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 10:05 p.m.

@patriot 5:13

No - coaching is not overrated. Coaching is underrated. You have to look no further than Boise State who for years has landed mostly 5th & 6th tier rated players,i.e., Kellen Moore, who have come into a coaching system that has years of proven results. Moore was recruited by only Eastern WA, Idaho, and BSU - and look what he has turned into under coach Peterson and his staff. There are numerous other players that have developed like Moore in the BSU system.

Coach Mendenhall can do the same at BYU by revamping the coaching staff. Good move - coach Mendenhall. Can't wait to see the new staff.

• Cougar Cindy Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 9:26 p.m.

Love this Coach!

Go Bronco!

• FreeMan Heber City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 9:09 p.m.

It's all good. Way to be willing to make the hard choices for the benefit of the program.

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 8:33 p.m.

All these comments are a little premature. There isn't any real news yet as to what, if anything, BYU will be doing in the way of offensive changes. That said, the offense does need to evaluate and make some changes, even in personnel. Anae needed to quit sitting on the ball long ago but with an evaluation coming, it may be too late for him now.

The BYU of old kept scoring points when it got a lead on a good team. It was the best defense is a good offense strategy, whereas now the offense is putting it all on the defense to play to the last whistle.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 8:24 p.m.

To tracer: Actually a lot of Lavell's coaches moved on, certainly the best of the lot. Mike Holmgren, Brian Billick, Andy Reid, Ted Tollner, Doug Scovil, Fred Whittingham--they all coached and moved on to bigger and better things for the most part...

Still, I'm not sure that wholesale changes and making all the offensive coaches reapply for their jobs is the best thing. Right now, the ship needs to be steady. It might be taking a little water but all will be well most likely...

• eagle Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 8:18 p.m.

I'm sorry if I disagree with most folks and even Bronco or some of his higher ups. I thought BYU was really turning the corner and they were a young team with a young quarterback that got better. It is not time to push the panic button. I would honestly consider REASSIGNING Anae but keeping him on the staff. He is a good line coach and a good recruiter.

BYU fans refuse to look at reality or the big picture. They had an off year. They have won 10 games four out of five years. I would expect BYU to win 9 or 10 games next season vs. a season like what happened next year. Again, the key for BYU, Bronco and and the higher ups is not to panic. Perhaps some shifting of assignments is in order, and this happens all the time on many staffs. I think even Utah needs to tweak a few things on its staff. But to me, this seems silly and rather than improving matters causes unnecessary tension in the program.

• Jose Ortiz american fork, utah
    Dec. 20, 2010 8:12 p.m.

This is step in removing the football progarm all together. BYU will soon use the stadium for Soccer

• JimFribble Rexburg, ID
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:38 p.m.

Maybe this is a 'nice' way to let Anae go.
    Maybe Doman to OC, Detmer to QBC, and Cahoon to WRC.
    Maybe this is just a ploy to get everyone to ignore the Utes.

• CalmDown Frost Free, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:36 p.m.

A little insider info for you, Doman didn't do the dividing. I will not throw anyone under the bus, even though I could. The decent thing to do here is to pull someone out from in front of it. Doman has not had the freedom to do as you say.
    It would be nice if the Y, of all programs, would stand for what they profess and rise above the political bull so abundant in sports at all levels.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:35 p.m.

Otis missed the mark again. BYU does not need a BCS conference for their long term survival. BYU is positioned well and their future appears very stable.

Coach Reynolds was the OC in 2000. It didn't go well. He is a great position coach, and has good recruiting connections, but I do not forsee him calling plays next year.

It would be interesting to see Cahoon on the sidelines in 2011.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:29 p.m.

"No BCS Conference has shown the slightest indication that they would ever consider BYU.

Bronco recognized the need for a change in order to take the team to the next level."

I totally agree. BYU "relivance" is at a 6 year low. The 600 fans at the NM toilet bowl will attest to that. BYU is on the radar of ZERO BCS conferences. Going "indy" was simply a last ditch effort in trying to be accepted by the real world.

Good luck wit your 7-8 record as you head onto your island.

• Straight Forward>>> utah, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:29 p.m.

unfortunate for the families of the coaches but its part of the bizz. lets do a national search and get the best oc possible. Doman is a great candidate but not ready yet, however keep him on the staff.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:26 p.m.

How about Austin Collie as receivers coach? As a pro, he is way too focused and way too committed for his own safety. A career change is the answer.

• San D Blue Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:23 p.m.

Bronco is simply sending a message. Anae wasn't his guy and he stuck with him. I hope it works, but I keep thinking be careful what you wish for. As for Doman, I have heard he is getting anxious to move on and has had offers from some BCS schools that he is looking at. I hope he stays but it might be the end of his stint in Cougarnation. Whatever happens Bronco has proven that he is a GREAT coach and he'll stay as the HC. Love Bronco and love the Cougars.
    2011 here we come.

• Spoxjox Redmond, WA
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:17 p.m.

I'm amazed at all the idiots posting here, and I'm not just talking about the obvious idiots (e.g. Hedgehog). "Fired before Christmas"? I mean, seriously, you people desperately need to pull your heads out. Bronco is giving his coaches as much time as possible. They aren't fired (yet).

I expect mindless stupidity from the likes of Uteology, Hedgehog, and the other Ute "fans" who insist on posting to BYU articles, but it's a bit disturbing to see such inanity from supposed BYU boosters.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:16 p.m.

You have to show loyalty to get loyalty. One of the strengths of the BYU program over the years has been the willingness of assistant coaches to stay with the school even when they could have received more money and more prestige elsewhere.

If the school is going to dismiss the whole offensive staff, including such stalwarts as Lance Reynolds, you may find you just threw away your biggest asset. Why work for BYU if they are going to be just like any other school.

Don't be surprised if you see talented assistant coaches you want to keep leave and becomes harder and harder to attract the talent assistant coaches you desperately need.

• Parkercoug Parker, CO
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:16 p.m.

I disagree with the assessment regarding Coach Doman. I don't think he helped Heaps this year. He seems to divide quarterbacks.

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:13 p.m.

"That's hard to do when you love both players and they're so equal. I think it hurt us at the beginning of the year. And it's no one's fault but my own."

But I'll fire the offensive staff anyway...

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:11 p.m.

Lots of hot air blowing on the discussion boards. The fact remains that no-one really knows what is going on, and the info DN provides is sketchy. From the article the only thing we conclude is that there will probably be a shuffle in the coaching staff and one or more coaches might be out. Anything else is pure conjecture.

It is interesting that 90% of the comments critical of Bronco are coming from the Utah contingent. What is the matter are you afraid of Bronco?

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:07 p.m.

Ya gotta laugh yourselves silly to hear some of the dorky comments out of the Ute fans on here trolling yet another BYU story...because you know what? After BSU puts a hurtin on that overrated Ute team we all know is a fraud, will be doing the same thing with there very "offensive" staff as well. Yes, just like BYU, can beat up on teams with 1-10 records then stink up the place when they face real teams. But here's the cold hard facts that make the future of both programs quite interesting:

1)BYU returns all of their skill players on offense for next fall, whereas Utah loses most of theirs...Best QB (and please spare me any talk of Mr. Wynn), top 3 RB's are gone, best WR, and best OL's

2)BYU returns a stellar LB corp, and are getting add'l firepower w/ Kavenga and the DE coming in from USC...not sure about Utah's LB corp, but do return a stable of DL's...

If I were a Utah fan, and would consider myself dang lucky to achieve 7 wins, 6 is more likely BYU? 10 wins easy!

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:06 p.m.

This was probably for the best. BYU needs to be in a BCS Conference for their long term survival and they know it. The move to independence was only to position themselves in a more attractive light to BCS Conferences.

It's simple. If a team is good enough to be in a BCS Conference then they will get invited (See TCU and Utah). Right now, BYU is clearly not good enough to attract the attention of a BCS Conference. No BCS Conference has shown the slightest indication that they would ever consider BYU.

Bronco recognized the need for a change in order to take the team to the next level. I for one will be rooting for you guys to finally get an invite to the elite BCS Conference and join the big boys.

Good luck, your BCS brother.

• CalmDown Frost Free, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2010 7:01 p.m.

Also, I doubt you SAW one snap of spring practice being from CA. There was a reason why there was a 2QB system. Heaps wasn't ready and y'all are forgetting how pathetic he looked during his early season game reps, even having received the majority of snaps all spring. Nelson or Lark should have been given the majority of snaps while bringing the kid along. Bronco's right, it was a disservice, but not for the reason he's saying. Oh well. It's all history now and, due to a battered and inferior opponent in Albq. a barely over .500 team and coaching staff will drag many lessons with them into next season.

• RBC Cody, WY
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:59 p.m.

We can speculate all we want but one things for sure, Brandon Doman isn't going anywhere--unless some other school hires him away. And these posters who say Bronco is one a short leash don't know what they're talking about. Bronco is perhaps the best coach BYU has ever had and Holmoe knows it. That said, I think everyone else is on thin ice. However, major shake ups hurt a teams continuity. Player/coach relationships take a long time to develop, and whole sale turnover is in no ones best interest. So I can see a couple coaches leaving but no more than that and perhaps only one.

• Spoxjox Redmond, WA
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:52 p.m.

I like Anae, but I'm resigned (so to speak) to the fact that Bronco's going to axe him. I hope Reynolds is the new OC and Doman his assistant, or at the very least continues as QB coach. I don't believe either will be fired, but they might well decide to search for greener pastures.

• Griz Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:52 p.m.

"BYU has had a top 10 offensive 4 of the last 5 years. What exactly do you want from an OC? Is never having a play fail your standard."

I'm not sure what your definition of a top 10 offense is but BYU absolutely wasn't top 10 this year in total offense or scoring or last year or the year before. In some cases they weren't even top 20 and that's with a ton of NFL talent on offense and some of the all-time greatest players in BYU history.

Anae has showed he can beat up on the weak sisters of the MWC and WAC but when he's up against ranked teams or BCS teams he's avg only 20 pts a game and has gone 9-14 with most of those 9 wins due to the defense shutting down the opposing team (see the Oklahoma game last year) not because BYU outscored anyone.

"Bronko is on a very short leash. If these changes don't work he's as good as gone."

Weren't you whining the same thing about Twitt's job after the 2005 season?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:50 p.m.

Hate to bring this up, but O'Neil Chambers mentioned how the offensive coaching was'nt very good. Maybe he had a point. I'm sure we'll have a well coached team next year.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:46 p.m.

I know nothing, hear no rumors but those on this board, which is 99% uninformed, just like me.

So here's my uninformed guess: Anae was not Bronco's guy, right? But he didn't whack Anae outright. Seems like Bronco wants to look around and see who's available. If he doesn't see anybody he likes, then everybody gets his job back, n'est-ce pas? Some super cool OC comes calling, then adios Roberto.

Or maybe they just do this every year and the DesNews just needs a story out of a non-story.

• manutd Milford, CT
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:44 p.m.

this was necessary, though harsh in some ways. could have waited until after the holidays. what is there to gain by announcing it so early? feel bad for anae in particular.

as far as replacements i would love to see doman as OC but lets be honest, do you think he is going to just jump in and become an offensive guru over night. we may have some rough times to start out.

some posters were joking about norm chow and crowton. i actually think both of them wouldn't be bad at all. they have a ton of experience. who else out there in the mormon world of fooball, not including the NFL guys, has more experience than these guys? unfortunately neither would come back after the way we ran them out.

• CalNative Long Beach, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:23 p.m.

Band of Brothers my butt.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:20 p.m.

Bronco can do whatever he wants. He's proven! I would be frustrated too. Receivers don't drop balls no matter who is throwing, Higgins should have been all over that. Play calling, well let's just say Anae has been great, but for some reason seems to have bizarre calls during a game, that no one can figure out. But he is a good coach.

PLEASE DON'T LOSE BRANDON DOMAN! I also hope Weber sticks around, he has made some mean lineman.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:18 p.m.

Trying times down at the bubble.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:11 p.m.

It is funny, the football team has had fantastic sucess over the past 5 years and now they have a 7-6 season - solved the defensive and offensive problems before the end of the year - and people think there needs to be wholesale changes including the head coach?

Must stink to be your kids. They probably get beaten for getting a B on their report card.

In a word you people are CRAZY!!!!!! Probably the same group that wanted Chow and LaVell fired.

• kugrlover Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:09 p.m.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, CougarNation. Bronco plays Santa in 2010. More happy than words can express.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:06 p.m.

Bronco Mendenhall is the Grinch that stole Christmas. Stay classy BYU.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 6:04 p.m.

interesting. i do hope they keep the line coach and the running backs coaches. they seemed to be the bright spots. is Matt Reynolds turning pro or will he anchor another year for the cougs?

i am not sure Doman and Anae are a good mix. i wonder how much Doman undermined Anae this year as he was on true blue byu-tv saying he was for Heaps all the way but only admitted this once the decision had already been made by injury. i find that hard to believe actually. Bronco has also said in the last month that the QB position is up for grabs again. so perhaps all the offense is up for grabs for both players and coaches.

i would love to see Ben Cahoon hired for as receivers coach. Ty Detmer has no interest according to multiple reports over the years. Ty would be a good OC for sure. Chad Lewis was already hired by the fundraising gurus. gotta keep the high roller money boosters happy.

we need a new QB coach for Heaps - a coach that understands the pocket presence nuances...

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:58 p.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

I can't believe you love Bronco for helping BYU become a 5th place MWC team.

Weren't you the one harping on 2009 Utah's 3rd place finish?

Enjoy your upcoming Indy season with a new staff, let's see if you finish #18 like Utah did in 2008 with a new staff.

• Thinking Deeper Lindon, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:56 p.m.

I like your list but how good is your information?

• ConfT Centerville, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:45 p.m.

SO SO Great. Nice work Paul Gustavson

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:37 p.m.

jcperine | 5:23 p.m. Dec. 20, 2010
    Draper, Utah
    I find it hard to accept that a Christian University would fire their coaching staff right before Christmas. In my opinion the timing of this action demonstrates unthoughtful leadership.

Welcome to the real world...

Best move Bronco has ever made.

If you have a problem with a Christian Coach doing his job, might I suggest becomoming a fan of TCU, Oral Roberts, or Notre Dame?

Or, becoming a fan of the LDS Church Security Service, the Tabenacle Choir, or LDS employment Services?

Dude, deal with the reality....

"right before Christmas"???

When is a good time to let the weak link go?

Easter, Spring Break, Summer Vacation, or Thanksgiving????

Live in Draper, and have all your Christmas Dreams come true!!!

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:34 p.m.

Here is the deal. I believe Bronco is a man of his word and that he is very loyal. He must look after BYU first; no doubt. But, this is a way wherein the coaches can look for other opportunities and leave without getting fired. Hill was a different story: desperate times called for desperate measures. We all need to wish Coach Anae a great future at whatever school will take him.

• Alpha Chicken Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:33 p.m.

This will buy Bronco a couple more years. We will see where this goes.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:28 p.m.

Utah do the same with Boylen...

• jcperine Draper, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:23 p.m.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:20 p.m.

Dear Coach - I want you to find another job. You are welcome to apply for the job that you just had and I will consider your application. Since every coach's first priority is coaching at BYU, I am sure that all of you will be avaiable once I decide to ask you to come back. If not, I will have Jake coach the offense.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:19 p.m.

Exactly what Ronald Reagan did for his second term...

No one is locked...

A beautiful move.

If you matter, you stay, but if you don't, you will be replaced.

And, replaced with someone who will do your job better...

I love BM more each day of this season!!!

And it just ended for the weak!

• ed in atl Duluth, GA
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:16 p.m.

Lenny (Gomes)Gregory is available.

• firestorm Lehi, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:15 p.m.

AAAWWWWSSOOOOOMMMMMMEEEE!! This is sooo needed. The pUke posters can all take their anti-Bronco smack and go to vegas where they will witness an EPIC BEATDOWN. Then lets see if they are calling for Wht's head.. This is a move that shows BRONCO is the man in charge and the game will be played his way or they will hit the highway.. I am looking for an aggressive intense and innovativive offense to match the D>

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:13 p.m.

Coaching is over rated. The key to winning is good players... and it all starts with recruting and then player development.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:11 p.m.

Actually, this is what happens every year ar BYU. All coaches except the head coach have one year conracts. Back in the day even the head coaches were in this situation - including Lavele.

There may very well be changes coming, but this story means absolutely nothing.

• JROB22 Saint George, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:10 p.m.

I'm pretty sure he's just going to fire Anae, but its just like a presidency in the church... You release the president and then reorganize everything lol

• My2Pence Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:09 p.m.

This has been a season of change, might as well adjust the coaching staff too. Lets get things aligned now, so that we head into the biggest off-season in school history, and be ready to play it forward.

• Old Scarecrow Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:07 p.m.

Interesting situation where Mendenhall is an effective defensive co-ordinator and the clear leader of the whole organization. He needs an assistant head coach who can do the head coach job while leaving the leading, motivating and defensive scheming to Bronco. That's a tough marriage to arrange, but the results of a good marriage like that would be just what we all want to see. Hmm, who could do that -- Reynolds, Anae, someone new?

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:04 p.m.

Rummors are:
    Doman OC
    Reynolds stays the same
    Detmer as QB coach
    Cahoon as Receivers Coach
    Lois Wong as Offensive line coach
    Lewis as Tight Ends Coach

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 5:03 p.m.

I heard a rumor that UCLA is letting Norm Chow go... I dont know if its true or if BYU would consider him, but that would be interesting. Most likely will be doman though, Bronco loves him..

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:59 p.m.

To BigShooter: So if Bronco admitted that the QB controversary was "My fault" then he is in essence pulling a "Harry Truman", and in essence saying "the buck stops here." He is the head coach and until he is released, has the responsibility to make decisions that will make the team better. I am sure that what he is doing has the blessing of the AD and the administration. Don't look for him to be replaced anytime soon. You Uties are just afraid that this action will make BYU better and you just can't stand that, can you! Look to BYU crushing Utah in many years to come, until the U of U refuses to play BYU anymore. Sad day, but it will probably come to that in the future.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:59 p.m.

I'm pretty sure the "lUsers" don't care.

Cougs went 7 - 6 and lost to the Utes. Keep it up.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:54 p.m.

I guess the "Band of Brothers" t-shirt that Bronco was wearing didn't include the offensive staff.

• cactusflats American Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:53 p.m.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome back to campus...

Norman Chow!

• optimist Sun City, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:52 p.m.

New Coaching Staff.

Head Coach:----Steve Young (his mission call)
    OC:------------Ty Detmer (His mission call)
    QB Coach-------Jim MacMahon (Gets him into BYU Hall
    of Fame)
    DC:----------- Bronco Mendahal (Doing what he does
    Line coaches, DF and OF and Special Teams coaches and all other assistants to be determined, and using existing coaches where appropriate or new coaches in areas that can not be adequately covered by existing coaches.

Suggested: Brandon Doman asst QB coach for back up QB and Scout team QB.

We are making our big splash as we inter the 2011 season as independents.

I wish.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:52 p.m.

I'm on the edge of the cliff and I'm getting ready to jump...

• cactusflats American Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:49 p.m.

Paging Lavell.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:49 p.m.

To optimist: Why don't you apply for assistant head coach and OC. I'm sure with your knowledge, you will be hired in a heartbeat. BY the way, this is an athletic team not a religion. No one needs to repent! As a coach, one makes decisions - some work out, some do not. You then evaluate, make changes, and re-focus. No repentence necessary. Get a life!

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:48 p.m.

I'm guessing that Reynolds and Doman will be back.. maybe in different capacities, but they'll still be on the staff. I'm hoping Bronco brings in some good new talent to round things out and build for the future.

• Snark Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:46 p.m.

Bronco will make the entire coaching staff as accountable for the program's success as he is willing to be. He will also find coaches who demand the respect that he demands and builds relationships without sacrificing the Xs & Os. Bronco would not make this move without having a pretty good idea of what next year will look like. He is not going on a fishing expedition.

• Commontater Lehi, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:44 p.m.

To those few who have a problem with Bronco they better decide they like him because he isn't going to get a pick slip from the First Presidency, even if he didn't win any games for an entire season. You forget all to quickly that it isn't about football with the leadership of the Church either.

Too bad we can't do the same thing to our government officials. The government would automatically get much smaller and spend much less money.

Isn't free enterprise a wonderful thing?

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:43 p.m.

@Big Shooter

We can see right through you. As someone who is not a BYU fan, you obviously have NO idea what you are talking about.

How is it that BYU turned the season around when Bronco fired Hill? Do you think that was a coincidence? He has an influence on the team and does an excellent job.

I'm excited to see who will be replaced or moved. I trust Bronco's judgement. In my opinion, this team is going to be pretty good!

The proof will be in the pudding. Until you see whether this works or not, you have no idea what you are talking about.

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:42 p.m.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:39 p.m.

tracer: You couldn't have said it better. To many of you, you should read the article carefully, and realize that this article was written with only heresay information. We have not received the official BYU information as yet. The offensive coaches were released from their positions and asked to re-apply. Those who know they belong will be re-hired. Those who struggled will not do so, because they know they were not doing the job. It will work out very well. Maybe we will see Ty Detmer, or Vai Sikihema, or someone else who excelled as a BYU player, on line as coaches. It is going to be interesting and is very exciting.

• cvguy Lehi, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:37 p.m.

You're fired! Now let me tell you about a job opening I have you may want to apply for. Seriously? If Bronco wants them on staff, why fire them. If he wants them gone, just let them go. Oh well, BYU still has St. Jake and he is perfect.

• Warezinho Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:34 p.m.

Most of you commenting are not reading/understanding the key to the the story. It says "..conducts individual staff evaluations in the coming days to see which assistant coaches he will retain."

Reynolds and Doman could and most likely be retained. It seems like a good way to make sure all staff are on the same page. Who knows maybe Anae will commit to be on the same page as Bronco and will be returning as well.

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:33 p.m.

The article noted that each of the coaches are able to re-apply for the job. It might just be a way of doing it fairly. Give them the opportunity to prove themselves and why they belong.

To those suggesting that Bronco was milking Reynolds because of his kids, let's not pointing our fingers in the dark.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:28 p.m.

They should bring in Crowton, great offensive minded guy, not a good head coach at all, but offensivly he is a genious.

• CBPapa Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:28 p.m.

I agree with some of the posters regarding who stays and who goes. Here's my take:
    Doman as OC
    Detmer as QB coach
    Cahoon as WR coach
    Chad Lewis as TE coach
    The others stay where they're at respectively.
    Now THAT'S a dream team coaching staff in my mind.

• BigShooter Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:28 p.m.

In the words of President Harry S. Truman: "The buck stops here". Bronco has long-since 'passed-the-buck'. If I were a Cougar fan, (which I am not); I would be asking for Bronco's head. By his own admission, the quarterback fiasco was "his" fault. BYU's AD is/was a college football player, a professional football player and a college football coach. STEP-UP NOW! I'm sorry, but BYU's late-season success was NOT solely attributed to Bronco...if the assistants 'failed', so did Bronco!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:24 p.m.

Yay! Hire Doman! Anae wasn't popular with many of the players and I've never like his boring offense and bad play calls. Especially against utah.

Doman! Doman!

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:21 p.m.

Just want Bronco to know that this BYU Football fan supports him and is incredibly proud of the program this season. I think you did a fantastic job with the team this year -- as demonstrated by the change that happened over the course of the season.

I hope that you retain many of the coaches that you see fit--especially our QB coach and Line coach, who seem to be doing such a great job.

Thanks Bronco!

• agentbb007 Lehi, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:17 p.m.

Wow big shakeup. I hope we can an OC that the players actually like and won't run 3 dives in a row to setup a 50 yard field goal. From what I hear Robert Anae was not the nicest of dudes...

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:17 p.m.

Who do you think you are? Why would Bronco let all of the coaches go on your account? Who are you? Did you request he should let go all of the offensive coaches?

I do think that what he did was an excellent idea. Now he can look at the applications of all who desire to be hired as assistant coaches. I'm sure each will refer to their qualifications and what they have accomplished during their years of service as assistant coaches. Bronco will have the opportunity to hire some of them back, or go a different direction, if he so desires. It is a win-win situation. This is an exciting time for BYU football and all sports. I see nothing but positive results for this coming year.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:16 p.m.

As a Dolphins fan, I have to give props to Bronco for taking the blame for what happened at the beginning of this year.

If only Tony Sparano & Dan Henning were able to man up in recent press conferences like BM did.

As A Utah grad & fan, might I suggest Dan Henning as BYU's next OC. I kid. I kid. Maybe?

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:16 p.m.

the lUsers have cried all year that Anae needed to be fired - I'm not even sure why the lUsers cared in the first place.

It will be interesting to watch the lUsers now cry that Bronco has done exactly that.

The hypocrisy is sickening.

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:14 p.m.

This is the hard reality in coaching. Longevity in a coaching position, or staff, is the exception. While these decisions are difficult to make, especially when personal relationships are involved, the right dynamic has to be met and maintained. It will be interesting to see where the chips fall.

Just looking at assignments, the receivers struggled and the play calling was inconsistent. Perhaps that equates to the O.C. and receivers coaches?

• oh ye confederacy of dunces Flushing, NY
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:14 p.m.

To the next level we go!

All coaches will land on their feet and BYU will be better for this.
    There has been significant tension amongst the O staff for some time and it has shown on the field.

• optimist Sun City, CA
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:11 p.m.

Thank you Bronco for finally admitting that our early disaster the first half of the season was the fault of the coaching staff and of the inability, from the highest source to making decisions. It takes a man to admit to this. I do appreciate it.

Still there is one more item that needs to be addressed. You state that the reason that it was so hard to make a decision on who should be the QB and who should be the back up is that both Nielson and Heaps were so equal while indicating that Larkin
    and Mumms were slightly behind. I would suggest that you go back and look at all the stats of Spring Practice, when the decision should have been made, and realize that from those performace stats during Spring Practice, Heaps and Nielson was not all that equal while Heaps outshined Nielson all the way. I still have those stats and will keep them forever.

It is easy to forgive, once the offender has admitted his/her mistakes, feels bad about them, apologise for them and truly repents.
    End of discussion.. Otherwise, the debates goes on without end.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:07 p.m.

I guess firing Hill worked out. Bronco seems to know what he is doing and has the, a, courage to do it. I wonder who comes back?

Go Cougars!

• Utesforlife Lehi, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:07 p.m.

Bronco says this is no one's fault but his own yet is firing coaches left and right. So I guess this top to bottom evaluation process is more like "near the top to bottom".

• tracer Paradise, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:06 p.m.

If true, major departure from Lavell years where coaches remained well beyond their limits but were sustained by loyalty. Bronco takes blame for 2-QB system but you can bet he didn't act alone...perhaps even opposed his OC. But typical Bronco, he steps up to take full responsibility. Fans like to expound irrespective of credentials...bottom line is team is performing beyond both Crowton and many Lavell years. If you fire someone, better have someone better to replace them. It will be interesting. Takes courage to do what Bronco and Tom are doing.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:04 p.m.

everyone would do well to go back and read the story. They were released, but that does not mean they are gone. they can all come back and apply. I would assume that Anae is gone, he cost you guys the game to my utes and with heaps becoming a stud, you need a real OC. I think this is a good move.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:03 p.m.

Not just Anae but the whole crew?

Interesting way to thank your offensive staff for turning the season around I would say.

Go Bronco

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:03 p.m.

Every one wanted Anae gone, but with this idiotic move, Bronco is also getting rid of Reynolds (who may take his two sons with him), Doman, and others.

Reynolds has one of the best reps as a coach and look how his Running backs performed this year (the bright spot during the bleak QB problems).

• Alwaysright Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:03 p.m.

Change is hard, but change is good. Keep up the good work, and continue winning. Good luck at Mississippi and Texas.

Dec. 20, 2010 4:01 p.m.

The wheels are off their cart...it's only going to worse. Hang on to those "quest" t-shirts...you're going to need 'em.

• Griz Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 4:01 p.m.

Let's hope Anae is promoted to Co-Associate HC along with Reynolds and Doman is promoted to OC. I also would like to see Cahoon come in as the WR coach, Detmer as the QB coach and Brian Logan get hired as a Grad Asst on defense.

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:59 p.m.

Holy Cow, I mean, WOW! Even Lance Reynolds and Brandon Doman

• NewsJunkie Centerville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:57 p.m.

If I understand the article correctly, this means that the current coaches won't necessarily be out of a job, it just means they have to compete for their jobs, just like the players do. Which means, now that Chad Lewis just got hired as assistant director, he might also want to compete for a coaching job and maybe Ben Cahoon will hangup his playing career and compete for the wide receiver job... It's sure going to be interesting, but I would think that Anai and Doman will be back.

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:53 p.m.

not really in on the byu know-how, but it appears that most cougar faithful don't want anae back. any ideas on who goes or stays from this list?

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:52 p.m.

The future looks even brighter now.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:51 p.m.

And let the trolling and un-educated opinionating begin! I'll Start! Don't know why Bronco is doing it this way but I hope it is because he has some ideas about who on the current staff will be most effective in which positions. Easier to move position coaches than to fire the ones you don't want where they are now. The losers are the coordinators who are not retained for their current positions. Have to be pretty humble to accept a demotion. I wold love to see a little more aggressive and imaginative play calling on offense but who is to say that the beginning of the 2010 season would have been any different if it had. Looking forward to seeing how all this will pan out. I am excited for next year already.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:50 p.m.

Releasing the entire staff just makes it easier for Bronco to completely reorganize the offensive staff without having to promote, demote, or fire anyone.

This is a good first step to addressing the offensive shortcomings of the program.

Hopefully, no more sitting on the ball at the 20 yard line after marching all the way down the field, bleeding the clock, and then getting a FG blocked to lose the game.

Just as on defense, you sometimes have to take chances with blitzes, etc., sometimes on offense you have to risk throwing the ball, rather than getting too conservative.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:50 p.m.

Wow, what is going on here. First the defensive coordinator gets the ax and now the rest of the offensive staff. I acutally like Robert Anae so I hope he stays. I do think BYU needs to improve greatly with the O-line so if that means a new coach then so be it. The BYU O-line is far too slow and out of shape year in and year out.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:49 p.m.

Mendenhall can't fire himself unfortunately for us....He is a good defensive coordinator, just not a head coach~ And firing Reynolds after he ran out of sons who had committed to byu is past a joke!

• DWfromUtah Orem, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:49 p.m.

Another season like that and it will be time to replace the head coach.

• Thinking Deeper Lindon, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:45 p.m.

Not so sure this is a good approach to the problem... I hope the Des News is short on facts.

• Commontater Lehi, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:44 p.m.

I don't think Bronco is blind or stupid. I'm not so sure he is not asking the staff to live to the standard set for the players. I believe he is sending the message that there are no entitlements in BYU football, top to bottom. The staff will have earn their keep just as the players have to earn a spot to play. There will be no double standard.

This will make for some very exciting things to come and BYU football will continue to improve.

• Gunny Spanish Fork, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:44 p.m.

Glad to hear this, it was past due on the OC. Sorry Robert, but we have to get better and it starts with coaching.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:42 p.m.

A coach has to do what a coach has to do. Let's hope everything is in place for spring practice.

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:41 p.m.

The best possible news in the off-season. Hopefully this means that Brandon Doman will be re-hired as the OC. Rumor has it that many players were tired of Anae's heavy-handed demeanor. Thank you Coach Mendehall. This move in addition to the marked improvement over the last half of the season bodes well for the next several seasons. Go Cougs!!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:41 p.m.

WOW! We asked for it, and now we got it. This should be interesting.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:40 p.m.

Didn't see that coming.

• ChuckyZ Sherwood, OR
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:38 p.m.

You did not have to do this on my account. I think the offensive coaches have brought the team along nicely. You made a tough/good decision with the defense. Hope to have at least two or three of the same assistant coaches/offensive coaches in the lineup next year.

• Happy Valley Hillbilly Alpine, UT
    Dec. 20, 2010 3:36 p.m.

This is unfortunate, but needed. Bronco, should also be included in this housecleaning as he is just as much responsible for the Cougars problems as anyone else. Let's go forward with a clean slate.