Sports

BYU basketball: Bruins present a tricky test

Despite 5-4 record, UCLA's talent, defense are a concern for BYU

Comments

• Slim Shady 801 Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 18, 2010 6:29 p.m.

Y4LYFE

Your an idiot....did you not listen to the telecast? The refs were not from the Pac 10.

That is so typical of BYU or Utah fans. Blame the refs. You lost to a Pac 10 team...deal with it.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2010 5:49 p.m.

Top 25 - Adios!

Well done Bruins

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Dec. 18, 2010 4:40 p.m.

Trickey test? Pac-10 refs.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Dec. 18, 2010 1:18 p.m.

My hubby and brother-in-law are on a road trip today to go watch this game. I'm staying home to watch the football game ... uh, I mean the kids.... Go Cougars!

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    Dec. 18, 2010 11:36 a.m.

I find it interesting that there are a lot of stories in the sports arena about UCLA transfers. Is there a meaning there? I have watched UCLA a little this year and they have a couple of fairly good players. They don't really take care of the ball very well. They are prone to foul trouble. They don't shoot really well. What does BYU do pretty well. Team defense. I think it will be something like 84 to 70 for BYU. If BYU starts of hot like they have usually done, it may not be a very close game. Can UCLA survive the runs?
    Jeff

• cactusflats American Fork, UT
    Dec. 18, 2010 10:27 a.m.

Cougar fans are going to be spending a lot of time in front of the TV today. Hope the Christmas shopping is all done.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Dec. 18, 2010 6:37 a.m.

BYU may have the edge on paper, but with Emery, Hartsock, and Chris Collinsworth unable to make their standard contribution, UCLA has to be considered the favorite on their home court at the Wooden Classic.

UCLA's length and athleticism, their ability to board well, and the sheer fact that their players are just better pedigreed have caused me to worry about this game. Howland is a great coach. This game should be a good barometer as to BYU's ability to compete against the top MWC teams.

UCLA is the most physical, the most athletic, and the most prestigious team that BYU has played this year. UCLA almost upset a great Kansas squad. They could cause the Cougars fits! They will be ready.

I hope I can find a sports bar that has this game on television here in Louisiana.

• AZnewser Snowflake, AZ
    Dec. 18, 2010 4:52 a.m.

You are so clever "P...ale...rid...er" I didn't know Clint Eastwood had moved to Utah!

The MWC looks really tough this year, maybe the toughest ever. This will be a good test, and a great opportunity for Davies to step up.

• palerider Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 18, 2010 2:05 a.m.

You mean "Jim Fred-ette".