Sports

Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward, just go out and play

Jazz rookie Gordon Hayward wants to quit thinking so much

Comments

• jazz_man Fajardo, PR
    Dec. 16, 2010 7:58 p.m.

I was reading an interesting article recently about this very same issue. They mentioned that part of the reason why Hayward is struggling early on is because he was still not ready to play in the NBA and I think they might be right. Don't get me wrong I'm happy that he is playing here and I hope that in time he will become a solid contributor for this team but he probably should had stayed in college for another year or so.

• Mosesstone1980 Las Vegas, Nevada
    Dec. 16, 2010 12:10 p.m.

Hayward, I think, appears to have the athletic ability, and IQ to play at an NBA level. He does just need to calm down, and play basketball.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Dec. 16, 2010 11:18 a.m.

that noisy public dressing out of Hayward by Williams did nothing for him, in fact, if you have ever been treated like that, you might know it knocked his confidence big time. Those kind of things are hard to overcome. He probably needs to play in the D.

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    Dec. 16, 2010 10:20 a.m.

I still you guys are all jumping the gun. He is going to be a great player for our team. Just give the kid two seasons. I predict he will be as productive as CJ Miles, but a lot more reliable.

As for the claim that he can't jump look at his combine numbers. He has one of the best standing verticals (which is the most important one) in the draft.

• deno22 Rexburg, ID
    Dec. 16, 2010 10:14 a.m.

I think everyone is missing the point that the other top draft picks aren't on contending teams like Hayward is. They can afford to have their rookies go out there and blow the game because they are rebuilding. The Jazz are a playoff team, they can't afford to give him tons of minutes. I do agree he needs to go to the D-league though so he can play, only way to get better and more confidence.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 11:30 p.m.

Please don't take this the wrong way,I want all of the Jazz players to be productive and more consistent. Hayward can play the game, but can he play at the level that this Jazz team needs? He has not done so, I don't want to be a boo bird or a debbie downer here at all, I too would like to see the guy be productive, but we need a shooter and if it takes trading a guy with such promise and upside to make this team better then I am all for it. If Hayward is just in a slump, then I hope he breaks out of it soon. Only the Jazz staff and players really know if that is the case b/c they practice w/ him everyday. I dont think Sloan would start a rookie, unless he thought the guy was going to contribute, or maybe showcase him for a trade, similar to Eric Maynor last year. Either way I hope we can start getting more production and more help in the back court with D-Will, he cant keep scoring 30 a night all season long. Keep working hard, go Jazz!

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 8:31 p.m.

Landry Fields taken by the Knicks at 39 has been monstrous. 6'7" 210, 10pts 7reb 34.4% on threes, total glass crasher. What a steal.

Xavier Henry has been mediocre, Babbitt's in the DLeague. Whole thing's a total turkeyshoot.

I'm not giving up on Hayward. These next four games are fairly "easy", tho you know how that goes. I'd like to see Raja get some more rest, so they might as well keep playing GH. If the Jazz can't get 3/4 or sweep, really, they don't have enough to do anything anyway.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 7:21 p.m.

Everyone is jumping the gun, Hayward hasn't been given enough time to develop and gain any confidence. He is more athletic than he is given credit for and his shooting will come around.
    To me it was easy to see CJ's potential and yet he struggled and still does alittle. Many were on his case and saying he needed to be traded etc etc etc.
    Hayward has a lot of talent and potential too, he has a complete game and when he gets enough playing time he will develop. Everyone needs to be patient.

• louisiana jazz man Dubach, LA
    Dec. 15, 2010 4:31 p.m.

cain't jump....... lot of better players in the draft. no team will trade for him unless they throw in evans. evens will be big time in about three years. but he can jump to the baskett untill he gets better shooting. heyward supposed to be a shooter if he cain't shoot he has nothing else to fall back on. i belive they drafted him to replace kirlinko next year so they will have to play him to get an idea what he can do. i don't need to see any more he won't replace kirlinko, evans will come closer than heyward

• ThePinkFloydian Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 3:38 p.m.

I dont have a problem with Hayword. I have a problem with KOC's history overall.
    Yes KOC was great to pick Milsap but what else has he really done.
    Yes he got Wesley Matthews. That went well.
    Overall I think KOC stinks at his job completely when it comes to draft picks
    You watch. You will see a player or few who we will wish O'Conner took instead.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Dec. 15, 2010 3:30 p.m.

good to hear from the same fans that booed stockton, when he was drafted.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 3:04 p.m.

Hayward will be a solid contributor. The expectations are unbelievably high because everyone waited for this pick (which we thought would be top 3) for a long long long time. Jazz fans thought they would get Wall or Cousins, not a project from Indiana. He is only 20 years old. The 2/3 spot is the toughest position to adapt to in the NBA by far. Think of who you have to guard each game - there is rarely a rest. He needs to come off the bench and pick up 5-10 minutes a night with the high energy full court team (Watson / Price) so that he can garner some confidence. Right now he is stuck thinking about where he is supposed to be standing/cutting/passing (as is Jefferson and Elson) but it is more exposed because he is on the perimeter - and he is worried that his all-NBA point guard is going to humiliate him on national TV again.

Give him time and he will polish up his significant talent. He will get stronger and improve.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 2:28 p.m.

Who is doing better that was taken after him.IDK just asking. He seems like a spart player. Good passer can rebound give him 3 years to prove himself. But i have to agree that there are a lot of 2 and 3 in the nba that have a lot more talent. Why can't the Jazz get one of them. You have to go all the way back to horney.

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 2:17 p.m.

I'm not giving up on him, but he belongs in the DLeague for now, getting 30+ minutes a game where he's not getting blown off the court physically.

Ludicrous for Sloan to keep starting him & then whine about "slow starts" or "looking scared out there". First we had a SG that couldn't make shots, now we have one that won't even TAKE them???

And when Raja gets back he'll be buried on the bench again. Insane. He was drafted as a long-term project said KOC, so I guess sitting on the bench is the plan.

The Jazz have a window right now, but I guess Sloan just wants to run his starters into the ground and then blame them for "acting tired".

When Raja is out, start Price. When AK is out start Evans, and get him more minutes regardless. Keep CJ rolling off the bench. Put Hayward in the DL and then either re-sign Jeffers as he knows the system, or do something like the AK for Iguodola & Thad Young trade. Do something proactive that other teams have to adjust to, instead of whine & point fingers.

• 9er4life Provo, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Let's admit it that KOC has a history of not do a good job of picking in the 1st round and I don't expect Hayward to be any different. I expect them to trade him to save face. The jazz need to get better scouts in here to better evaluate talent and potential.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Dec. 15, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Hayward will never be as good as CJ. Not even worth discussing.

Hayward does not have an NBA game. He is below average and will be out of the league within 3 years. In the NBA, you either need to be a scorer or a great defensive player at the 2,3 or 4 position. He is neither.

I don't understand the Jazz using a number 9 on him. Seems like a waste of a pick to me.

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    Dec. 15, 2010 1:03 p.m.

This is kind of ridiculous the guy has played 1/4 of a season. Give the kid some time people. I still think within 3 years he is going to be a great contributor on the team.

Can you blame him for having confidence issues. He is drafted and the entire fanbase booed the pick. Then in the 3rd game of the season he gets lambasted on national TV by the star of the team. Then on top of all that the coach benches him for the next 15 games after the incident. I think most people would have confidence issues.

You really want to blame someone ... it should be on Jerry Sloan for benching him for so long after the Williams incident. He went from playing 15-20 minutes to being lucky to get 2-3 minutes. That has to kill the new guys confidence.

All the kid needs is a consistent 10 minutes per game by the end of the season he will be a good contributor in my opinion.

• mx3x8 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 12:54 p.m.

I think we should stop comparing Hayward to Miles. Miles was a second round pick and Hayward is the number 9 pick. With that there should be expectations that he should adhere to. At least Hayward recognizes that and acting professionally. He's not good right now but at leasat he's is not asking for a break or sympathy. Let's face it, if he doesn't do well, there are plenty of talented of players out there who will do well.

• jp3 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 11:49 a.m.

He was a nice college player, but in no way is he ready for the NBA (he wouldn't have been drafted had not Butler made it so far in the tournament--and it wasn't just him leading Butler, if you watched the games it was truly a team effort).

Why do the Jazz constantly draft on potential? Should have done better for a top ten pick. It's so frustrating to see the Jazz get a Matthews one year, undrafted, and then a Hayward the next--it seems like the Jazz don't learn any lessons when they luck out with their draft picks (are there similarities between Matthews and Millsap?--yes, they're both big and they both played four years of college).

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 10:58 a.m.

Sheesh, all Gordon Hayward has done is take a no-name, tiny school to the NCAA championship and dang near win it all. Who can't do that???

Give the kid a break. He's 20 years old. What was Miles doing in his second season? What is he doing now? Hayward knows basketball. He'll arrive.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 10:26 a.m.

@Jazz-Nation. I agreed with you (and loved it) until you mentioned Jeffers, Nichols and Thompson.

The league is FULL of good 2's and 3's and it always boggles my mind why the Jazz don't have any. Wes Matthews was the only complete 2 we've had in a long long time. Jeffers might contribue to an NBA team, but he's never gonna be a legit scorer.

I agree that the Jazz should take the Ronnie Brewer or Matt Harpring trade exception and trade GH for a legit 2. That would be AWESOME and make this team a contender. I'm in love with this idea.

• b2b Ogden, Utah
    Dec. 15, 2010 10:22 a.m.

Why can't we all just believe in the kid and give him a chnace?? I believe in him, it will just take a little time. Obviously he knows what he needs to do right??? So it's up to him! We as Jazz fans need to help him with confidence!!!!

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 9:48 a.m.

This Jazz team has a window, that window is now! Listen, I like G.H as a person, not as a player right now, no question he is a project. I truely think that the Jazz should either trade G.H and use some trade exception to get a shooter that we need, or send G.H to the D. I am not saying that KOC blew a lotto pick just yet, but he could save face by making a trade to a team that is rebuilding. We need a 2 guard! Raja Bell is decent,but he is getting old and always banged up and should be a bench player. D-Will needs some help on the perimeter on both sides of the ball. We get out rebounded because teams pack the paint because they dont respect our shooters, and why should they? I think the Jazz should have kept O. Jeffers, Nichols, Thompson anyone of those guys are better than G.H. Watching the Jazz play is like watching 4 against 5. Shooting guard is a glaring hole, but im sure I am not the only one who see's this hole. Keep working hard, go Jazz!

• Utah_State_Fan Logan, Utah
    Dec. 15, 2010 9:45 a.m.

The Jazz should have listened to me and drafted Luke Babbit fron Nevada. They had the chance, but chose Hayward instead. Babbit is taller, better looking, and a better shooter.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 9:19 a.m.

Mr. Hayward is one year older than C.J Miles was when he was drafted. Look back and see how well this year's team's top bench scorer did that year. Big jump for Mr. Hayward playing a position for the Jazz that is an after thought in the Jazz offense. He did not play outside during his college career and is not a good enough shooter at this point in his career to be effective, nor is he strong enough to play defense. So, it is not just in his head, he just needs to get much better. And, the Jazz and the fans need to be patient enough to let this happen. In three years, Mr. Hayward will be making at least as much of a positive contribution to the Jazz as the up and down Mr. Miles.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 9:12 a.m.

Not good. Period.

• deno22 Rexburg, ID
    Dec. 15, 2010 8:26 a.m.

you can just tell he is not comfortable out there at all, and if you play to not make mistakes you don't play well....I have had experience with that. He just needs one breakout game to get him going I think, but nothing is going his way and he seems to really get down on himself.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 7:15 a.m.

"Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward, just go out and play [for the Utah Flash]"

How did the Knicks end up with a better draft pick than us? :) Just kidding, I still think that 5 years down the road he'll be a better pick. Actually, it's more of a hope that 5 years down the road he'll be a better player.

I'm having a hard time remember, was Sloan this gracious with guys like Scott Pollard, Quincy Lewis and DeShawn Stevenson? Is he getting soft in his old age? I remember him always talking about how rookies are still real young, but I just remember him benching them for the first 3 years.