Sports

Jimmer Fredette, BYU guard, returns to play in his New York home town

Comments

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Dec. 8, 2010 1:16 a.m.

Great article about Jimmer and his brother. If all players had a brother like that who knows what would happen. Best to Jimmer and the Cougars as they play in the home town tonight. Way to go TJ in helping the little guy prepare for a Basketball career.

Go Cougars.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Dec. 8, 2010 3:37 a.m.

Although much of the content of this article has been available before, I enjoyed the read.

Many thanks to the Fredettes for the opportunity to be a Jimmer fan. I make a point of catching all of the BYU games on television, the internet, or KSL online. The BYU basketball team is a good one, and I look forward to following them this year.

Winning the MWC championship will be a real challenge this year with UNLV, San Diego State University, and New Mexico. Tonight's game will be a tough one too.

Here's to a great season for the Cougars and a long and successful NBA career for Jimmer.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Dec. 8, 2010 5:53 a.m.

Ok, I'll say it - really - a budding Mormon rapper? What is he going to rap about? Growing up on the tough streets of Glen Falls? The oppression of Mormons in Missouri back in the day? Mitt Romney? I bet TJ is excited about Jimmer getting an NBA contract...he'll need the money since he is a broke artist. There are lots of people unemployed right now - broke artists are not a group I feel empathy for. I know, who cares what I think, but the article was great up until I read that part. Weird.
    Good for Jimmer, though. He's a phenom - now it hopefully won't go to his head.

• 42istheanswer SLC, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 7:17 a.m.

I'm a Ute fan all the way, & I love to watch Fredette play. I'm a fan. One of the best players in the game right now. I look forward to watching him in the NBA.

• Love the Game American Fork, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 7:36 a.m.

Okay, I am a huge BYU fan and a big Jimmer fan. However, this story is getting old now. A single nice human interest story would have been great, but if I have to read or hear one more chariots of fire themed story about Jimmer playing in front of the home folks I am going to puke.

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 7:47 a.m.

Cool story, although yes, we've heard most all of it before.
    Gotta love Jimmer though. He has all the talent in the world but has managed to stay humble.
    It'll be interesting to see how his game translates at the next level.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 8:23 a.m.

Thanks for the repeated stories. Now time to get the win tonight and move on to the next two PAC10 lineup. As for tonight game if he is open and hitting his 3's then let him show off his stuff. And I HOPE his players will get ready with their stuff. After tonight game we move on one game at a time and Please DN go back to your small routine newsy stuff including along with Jackson Emery, Davies, Hartsock, Collingsworth (2), Abouo and others. After Jimmer is finished his college careers then you can make a big splash for him but don't forget Jackson Emery which he is a hard working guy.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Dec. 8, 2010 8:23 a.m.

"Fredette returned for his senior season armed with an NCAA-sanctioned, seven-figure insurance policy against a career-ending injury, the premium of which will be based on where he is taken in the draft."

If he got a career-ending injury, who will draft him? So, then how can the premium will be determined? If no premium, that means no insurance policy, right? I am confused.

• Noodlekaboodle Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 8:43 a.m.

@Goodguygary
    The insurance company doesn't require a premium upfront. If he has a career ending injury the policy pays out. If he doesn't the amount he pays is based on his draft position.

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 8:46 a.m.

Ever hear of Devin Durrant? What did he average per game? You have Michael Smith, Russel Lasen and Ken Roberts....Where is Devin Durrant on that list?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 8:57 a.m.

5 Deseret News articles in the last three days on Fredette's triumphant return home.

Wow.

Who can imagine the explosion of coverage we will see if he ever does anything nationally significant... like winning more than one NCAA tournament game?

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 9:06 a.m.

Thanks for the story. There are enough bad things on which to report and good things are worth repeating.

• killerbees Queensbury, NY
    Dec. 8, 2010 9:46 a.m.

Howard S.
    It takes a whole team to win a game. Keep hearing he only won 1 game, you mean BYU. A player can make game changing contributions which Jimmer does all the time. Which is why he is Jimmer. He is currently 12th in scoring in Div I basketball, do you know how many Div I players there are? and he can do it against any team in the Nation.

Great article, all the article's about Jimmer are. he is a small town, humble kid that has worked his entire life for this. Most have no idea the sacrifices that are made to achieve his level of knowledge and skill. Other players are doing great things in the game but...... Jimmer is a special player/athlete.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 10:17 a.m.

Jimmer's Mom only made one mistake...

She spelled his name wrong... Gee, Mom,

it should have been: "Gym-mer"

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 10:31 a.m.

@ killerbees

I agree. Not to mention that he's 12th after being the main target of defenses this year. I've watched plenty of College Basketball this year and most of those top players don't get near the attention that Jimmer gets. He's constantly double or triple teamed.

It's nice to see that BYU steps up when Jimmer is kept from scoring 30. If that continues, I would assume that defenses will go back to a more balanced defense which should be nice for Jimmer.

Howard S. is probably a bitter Ute fan, or an Aggie fan...

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 10:35 a.m.

Re: killerbees | 9:46 a.m. Dec. 8, 2010
    Queensbury, NY

Sorry if the truth is not consistent with level of attention the Deseret News focuses on Fredette and his hero's homecoming.

Great players have the ability to elevate their teams performance to meaningful victories.

• ST Layton, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 10:53 a.m.

best wishes for a great NBA carrer ... from a Ute fan

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 11:35 a.m.

The season is not over yet Howard.

• oh ye confederacy of dunces Flushing, NY
    Dec. 8, 2010 12:37 p.m.

Don't be a jealous hater Howard...Just enjoy him for what he is: a truly exceptional athlete.

What makes Jimmer all the more amazing is that he gets all his jaw-dropping numbers from the PG position.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Dec. 8, 2010 12:53 p.m.

I agree with howard granted I wont say he isnt a gifted basketball player but he is getting the biggest ego trip of his life.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Dec. 8, 2010 12:55 p.m.

Thanks Noodlekaboodle, that explains everything.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 1:20 p.m.

Re: oh ye confederacy of dunces | 12:37 p.m. Dec. 8, 2010 Flushing, NY
    *****************

Sorry Confederacy -

I just don't accept that jaw-dropping numbers mean anything unless they result in meaningful team victories.

The DN, family and friends may be completely twitterpated with Fredette, but that doesn't change the fact that during the span of his BYU career they have had a total of one national level victory.

• FAYM Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 1:48 p.m.

Howard S. | 1:20 p.m.
    "that doesn't change the fact that during the span of his BYU career they have had a total of one national level victory."

Remind me, how many national level victories does Oral Roberts or SWBU have?

Howard, always remember that basketball is a team sport.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 8, 2010 2:00 p.m.

@Howard S. 10:35am:

Your analysis proves you are an editorial genius.

The meaningful victory I am looking forward to is the next game against your Utes. Then I will be even more twitterpated.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 2:41 p.m.

Way, way, way too much coverage on this topic. It could have been adequately covered in a couple of articles before the game and maybe one after. It is like hearing the same good song on the radio over and over and over........You get sick of it and finally can't stand to even hear the title out loud. I am a BYU fan and I like Fredette but I am to the point that I am not even going to watch the game because I don't want to hear the announcers talking about the homecoming again. This is getting LeBronish! It's like turkey leftovers for 5 nights in a row. No matter how you prepare it it's still turkey and after 5 nights your really hoping that you will run out of turkey and get something else.
    I still hope BYU wins.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 2:47 p.m.

Re: Tom in CA | 2:00 p.m. Dec. 8, 2010
    Vallejo, CA
    **********************

Tom, my twitterpated Cougar friend -

Victories over teams like Utah (and Vermont, btw) will certainly land Fredette directly in the European basketball league, which in any case will likely be his destination absent a deep run in the NCAA tourney.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 3:02 p.m.

@TJ

Go get a hamburger...

Did you really need to even read the article?

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 3:46 p.m.

I personally don't think he's getting an ego trip. You don't play as special as he does and not know about it, ya know? The thing people like about Jimmer is that he keeps a cool head. This is a unique situation and a unique game. Glens Falls is stoked about it and why not. They love Jimmer for what he is and what he stands for. What's wrong with that. I think it's been fun.

Howard S. is a hater. I'm sure he has nothing better to do with his time than worry about a player he clearly does not like.

If you don't like the coverage, DON'T read or comment on it. All that does is make you a troll.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 4:29 p.m.

Howard,

"The truth is that BYU's national body of work with Fredette as their leader consists of a single NCAA tournament victory."

which is more than infinity times more NCAA wins than great yewt stars like tavita, henderson

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 4:44 p.m.

I am a big Utah fan and yes I will admit I love towatch Jimmer play and I really do hoope he makes it inthe NBA, but I believe the D-news is turning him in to the next Chand Lewis. Their stories are great and interesting for awhile but they rehash the same stuff over and over.
    Why dont they tell us some new stories about his interactions with kids who idolize him?

• killerbees Queensbury, NY
    Dec. 9, 2010 4:32 a.m.

Howard S.
    Dude, what was BYU ranked last year? They finished with like a 30-6 record. Jimmer is on pace to be the winningest player ever at BYU. He doesn't elevate his team?
    Come on!

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 7:26 a.m.

The thing that Ute fans don't get is that the reason BYU went out to NY to play is not only for Jimmer, but it is a great recruiting tool. Just because the Ute's can't come up with an idea like this, they get all jealous and start going crazy. They keep thinking that if they can turn enough attention away from their own Ute problems, they can forget about their own worries and troubles.

Let's wait and see how many Ute player this year will gone back home to play....without the rest of their team!