Sports

Jimmer Fredette leads BYU Cougars back to his hometown

Comments

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 2:38 p.m.

hey bigutefan, I totally agree.

Jimmer is all hype. You might be wrong, he is not good enough to play in Europe. Now the Utes have at least 7 guys on their roster who will play in the NBA. We will dominate BYU like we always do..... I mean like we used to.... I mean like all those wins over the last 5-6 years.... oops I mean that 1 win we had was sweet.

We should have kept Ray G. That dude was a genius. Easy on my man Boylean. He is the best coach in the country. Rose is terrible and can't recruit. Boylean is so smart and always keeps his cool. Look at the zoobs, all of them are overrated. Too bad Tavita left and I wish we had Henderson still. Man those future NBA All-Stars. I would take either of them over the ball hog Jimmer. Who cares if he will end up with more assists per game than Steve Nash had in college, he is still slow. I hear he runs like a 6.8 40 and is 5'8. Anyone could guard him.

We are going for another sweep. Utes!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 10:49 p.m.

Why are people comparing Jimmer to Danny Ainge? Would we compare Darren Williams to Bob Cousey? Ainge and Fredette don't (didn't) even play the same position. John Jacob is just trying to draw attention to himself.

On the other hand, I don't know what Hedgehog is up to. A major element of sarcasm is subtlety, and that post was as subtle as a 2/4 to the back of the head.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 6, 2010 10:49 p.m.

Ha, ha! I see my work here is done, geez, your all so ridiculously serious. I was mocking the hype. You have to see it is a bit out of control. I said Jimmer was good, and he is good, but let's be honest, he is European pro good, but glad he got to go home and play in front of his people, yea! I'm not jealous in any way, when the Utes fire Boylen in March and get a REAL coach life will return to the Huntsman Center and Ute basketball will be back to normal. Seriously, how bad has Boylen destroyed the Utes, ugh! Until then......good luck, and try to win more than one game in the NCAA's.....FIRE BOYLEN!

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 8:33 p.m.

I was a student at BYU when Danny Ainge played and saw every home game he ever played and many road games as well. Ainge was one of a kind and nobody will ever be another Ainge. However, Jimmer is also one of a kind and has the ability to carry a team on his back just as much as Ainge did. When Jimmer is finished playing at BYU, his jersey will hang in the rafters of the Marriott Center, the first BYU player to receive that honor since Ainge.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 7:10 p.m.

bigutefan | 6:26 p.m.
    Not Utah resident

"What is with the hype? Seriously, when the Utes traveled to Long Beach State, the world didn't stop because Keith Van Horn was playing back at home...."

Nope, but when I coached against Diamond Bar High School and he learned I coached the U camps, all he could talk about was the fact that Majerus was the "fat man" that was jogging around the track at Diamond Bar High. All the coach wanted to talk about was Van Horn's college success (He wasn't NBA at the time).

If you don't think Van Horn was a legend at Diamond Bar, or Andre Miller was a legend at Verbum Dei (Who I also coached against), you really don't know how High Schools, or locals follow their players...

This is not a Utah kid playing at a Utah school...

The place will be filled, and it will be a home game for BYU....
    ===
    Also, my former players that play professional baseball fill the stands with former hometown folk.

Ask Vanna to "buy you a clue".

• killerbees Queensbury, NY
    Dec. 6, 2010 7:06 p.m.

Bigutefan,
    1 first round tourney win is BYU's biggest accomplishment not Jimmer's, look him up in the internet you'd be suprised to see what he has accomplished, Ha!, Dude your just silly!

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 6, 2010 6:58 p.m.

bigutefan

I'll bet Keith Van Horn, Shaun Green and Andrew Bogut combined wouldn't have generated the excitement that Jimmer returning to Glens Falls is generating.

It's been so long since Utah basketball fans had anything to get excited about that they've forgotten what it feels like.

• OlpuebloguyInWyo Evanston, WY
    Dec. 6, 2010 6:55 p.m.

I think as we watch the entire team play this year, everyone will have their day in stepping-up to the plate when necessary. Jimmer will have his bigs days as well as the others. They are a very good TEAM being coached by a very good "COACH"ing staff. They may not make it all the way, but they will finish high in the country. Let's enjoy the ride.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 6:48 p.m.

bigutefan

Get over your jealousy.

Jimmer returning to Glens Falls is the biggest event to occur in his home town in years.

I doubt Utah has ever had a played half a beloved by his home town as Jimmer is by Glens Falls, NY.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 6, 2010 6:26 p.m.

What is with the hype? Seriously, when the Utes traveled to Long Beach State, the world didn't stop because Keith Van Horn was playing back at home....Jimmer is good. But one first round tourney win is his biggest accomplishment, I wonder if the Utes should have celebrated every home game when Shaun Green got to play in the Huntsman Center. Imagine if Andrew Bogut was to return to Australia for a game......insane! FIRE BOYLEN!

• Solomon the Wise Alpine, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 6:23 p.m.

Deray

Your prediction explains why you'll never be an NBA scout.

NBA teams are always looking for players who can hit three's and handle the ball.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 6:21 p.m.

I'm just impressed that Hedgehog knows who "Koebe" is.

The sarcasim is a nice touch, but what else do ya have?
    ===
    Deray, that's why he plays the #1.

Sure, he can shoot like a #2, but that's not his position...

But combined with a few minutes with a backup #1 and Jimmer would provide a fast small two-guard, because, you are right, he could play #2. Anything to keep him on the floor in the NBA.
    ===

If Jimmer wore Red, would you kids hate as bad?
    ===

We all know Jimmer will go high in the draft, and will have a nice NBA career.

Why pretend otherwise?

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Dec. 6, 2010 5:30 p.m.

Wow, Hedgehog! That was a surprising comment from you. Keep it up ... I think I like basketball Hedge. :)

WasatchReb,

If he continues to be double and triple teamed, his stats probably will dip. Hopefully, everyone around him continues to step up. It would be nice to make it a costly move to commit more than one player on him. Of course, it'll be a costly mistake not to. Either way, it makes for a fun game to watch.

I enjoyed this article with all of its multi-media links.

• Deray Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 5:21 p.m.

Jimmer will do great in Europe some place next year. He's undersized, and doesn't have the height, or the athleticism to play the 2 in the NBA.

I thought the music video had nice home video footage in it, as for the music, I think dueling banjos would have been more appropriate.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 5:23 p.m.

JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt | 12:56 p.m. Dec. 6, 2010
    Beverly Hills, CA
    "Jimmer is no Danny Ainge."
    ===

Serious, ya think?

Because Jimmer plays the #1 position, and Ainge played #2 while Steve Craig played the #1.

Sorta like saying "Jimmer is no Greg Kite".

Take it deep, understand the game there JJJS...

I'll bet you never go out, because people always shout...

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 6, 2010 5:03 p.m.

I see a little D-Will and Koebe in Jimmer.

I beleive he might be the best basketball player to ever play the game. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply a BYU hater.

• killerbees Queensbury, NY
    Dec. 6, 2010 5:01 p.m.

1 other thing. Vermont is a solid team. Kemba Walker scored 42 against Vermont and is having a spectacular year. This game should tell a lot about where Fredette stands. If he can match what Kemba did it will prove where he stands against higher caliber teams this year. Then BYU has Arizona (a much better team than he posted 49 against last year, but still he had 49, did I say 49! and there were nearly 3 minutes left in the game!!!!), UCLA...... those games will prove more then the teams BYU has played to this point. He has not had to step his game up where inexperienced and weaker BYU players will struggle. Just watch what happens and then remember killer bees told you so!

• killerbees Queensbury, NY
    Dec. 6, 2010 4:37 p.m.

Firstly, you cannot compare Fredette to Ainge, Div I basketball is much different now. Secondly, Fredette is still having a great year, he is being closely defended and when teams do not guard him with duel effort he will dominate, he is getting the job done, would like to see his assist up, but team mates miss alot of easy shots off his passes. Thirdly, he's not getting minutes, with BYU's current schedule he doesn't need to play all the time. Too bad really, it's impacting his scoring. He will step it up aginst better teams and will still have a run at National Player of the Year. What will hurt BYU in the tourney is their lack of big men. Fredette's best this year is still to come, starting with 40+ in Glens Falls, NY!!!!! He is way ahead as MWC Player of the year. No one is close. His stats will improve as the year goes on, they did last year as well, he will settle down!

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 4:27 p.m.

@JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt

Clearly you love Danny.

You have no idea what the future holds for Jimmer. Don't act like you do.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 6, 2010 3:57 p.m.

Jimmer is not a legend and a leader, Danny Ainge is.

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 3:40 p.m.

I just hope BYU doesn't get to happy with their play so far. Vermont will be a road test, and Arizona will be another tough matchup. Depending on which UCLA shows up, that could be another tough game. When Jimmer gets the pressure, let's hope other players continue to show up.

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 3:37 p.m.

I think it would be difficult to compare Danny Ainge to Jimmer Fredette. Both are great ball players and both are playing under very different circumstances than the other, as well as different style.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 1:54 p.m.

"Jimmer is no Danny Ainge."

True, Jimmer is unique, but there are things that Jimmer does that even better than Danny Ainge.

Jimmer's crossover dribble and his ability to score in the paint against much bigger players are unique to Jimmer.

Ainge didn't have the 3-point shot in college, but Jimmer has longer range than Danny.

It remains to be seen whether Jimmer can put this team on his back like Ainge did and carry BYU deep into the playoffs, but the fact that other teams are starting to double- and triple-team Jimmer shows just how dangerous a player he is.

If his teammates step up and hit open shots when Jimmer is mobbed, BYU is going to have a VERY good year and could have a long run in the Big Dance.

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 6, 2010 1:02 p.m.

WasatchReb is just jealous and embarrassed that the real "circus" is up on the hill.

The Utes haven't had anybody even remotely as exciting as Jimmer in their program since last century.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 6, 2010 12:56 p.m.

Jimmer is no Danny Ainge.

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 12:36 p.m.

@ WasatchReb

That may be true, but so far when people are double and triple teaming Fredette, other players are coming up big. And, I don't so much think they're doing it for Fredette, but for the people he's influenced. Haws is a good complementary player, but even he is no Fredette.

• WasatchReb Provo, UT
    Dec. 6, 2010 11:39 a.m.

This is all great an all....but reality is, until "superman" can get his team far into the NCAA tournament, he really doesn't deserve the moniker. There's no doubt he's a great individual talent, but one of the best players BYU has had in the past 20 years (my opinion, Tyler Haws) is on his mission this year. You see Jimmer's stats dipping a bit this year, and its directly related to that. If BYU couldn't win the MWC, and barely won a game in the NCAA tourney with Haws, I fear they'll just be a Fredette circus this year, and not much more than that.