Dick Harmon: Put this U.-BYU game into the 'Amazing' file

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Dec. 2, 2010 6:11 p.m.

Watch the tape.

I'd file this one under "L-U-C-K-Y", as in "yewts got very, VERY lucky." Your (supposedly) Top 20 team just dodged a bullet from us horrible, pathetic Cougars.

See ya'll next year in Cougartown!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 29, 2010 11:11 a.m.

There used to be a comic strip called "Peanuts" which starred a character named Charley Brown. One of the running gags was to have Charley Brown line up to kick a field goal only to have his sister Lucy pull the ball away at the last second causing Charley Brown to land flat on his back. It didn't matter how many times she did that, Charley Brown always fell for it.

That is the way this series has been. You think you know who is going to win. Then somebody pulls some incredible circus play (or a series of them) and the game turns out completely the opposite of what you thought. Yet I keep falling for this every year.

I'm glad we won, but having been on the other side of having the ball yanked away at the last second I do feel some sympathy for our cousins down south. I'm not sure how we can beat this finish, but somehow I suspect that someone will find a way to do it anyway next year. Whatever it is, I'm sure we'll all fall for it just like Charley Brown.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Nov. 29, 2010 9:27 a.m.

Don't try to defend the blown call, it was horrible, both mtn announcers were shocked when it wasn't overturned. But like I said in another post, there were other factors that lost the Cougs this game, 4th and 1 comes to mind.

• Fact Check Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 29, 2010 6:22 a.m.

What do you mean, "not secure"? The ball is tucked against his chest until after the knee is down.

Blown call.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 29, 2010 12:28 a.m.

Seriously, stop looking at his knee. First off, Todd "I'm a Cougar" Christensen led everyone to believe the call would be changed, due to the knee being down. But while everyone zooms in on the knee, the Ute defenders arm is tangled with Bradley and the ball is not secure, prior to the knee touching. The knee is not the issue, the ball was not secure, watch the replay, and just watch the ball and the arms. This did not give Utah the win. Utah blocked a field goal, and scored two touchdowns. If any gifts were given, it was to BYU courtesy of Terrance Cain with an easy interception that led to 7 points. Take that away and the Amazing Heaps and the mighty Yner offense scored three field goals.......I can't believe all the whining going on....true YNERS! Luck was on the Ute side this time around in the greatest rivalry of all, deal with it, sore losers!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:00 p.m.

~ You're still here? It's over. Go home. Go!~
    Ferris Bueller

• who knows Lehi, Ut
    Nov. 28, 2010 10:56 p.m.

It hurts to lose like this. Now I know how the Utes felt so many times.

Bottom line: Utah was extremely lucky. BYU was un-lucky.

In spite of the refs, BYU had the chance to win and missed blocking one guy. One touch on him and he would have missed the ball.

I never thought it would be this close. I thought Utah would dominate. So, congratulations to BYU on salvaging what looked like a disaster season. That is real heart, real effort and real class.

Go Cougs!

• Fact Check Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 10:22 p.m.

Fact: The knee was down. Blown call.

Other fact: You still have to execute when kicking your field goal.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 9:49 p.m.

I love hearing bitter zoobies try to make themselves feel better. It happens every single time Utah beats the Y. It's always a bad call or a missed call or a Utah player's cheating that leads to a Utah win. Never mind that Utah capitalized on byu's mistakes, and what about Burton's incredible block? All overshadowed by the belief that a ref missed a call.

Funny, I don't remember hearing any Y fans whine when a similar situation led to a cougar victory over SDSU! Shoot, if it wasn't for that, the cougs wouldn't even be bowl eligible!

It comes down to this. You win some, you lose some. Suck it up and be grateful that you even get to play in the post season. Byu has had more than it's fair share than favorable calls and last minute wins due to miracle plays.

Lick your wounds and look forward to next september. Or basketball. Whagever makes you feel better.

All things said, GO UTES!!! I'm glad they showed some resolve and never gave up to pull out a win.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Nov. 28, 2010 8:04 p.m.

I think I will watch the TCU/Utah game again, if any of you would like a copy I would be happy to provide one.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    Nov. 28, 2010 7:22 p.m.

It was a good game. I would have really enjoyed it if the score were different. I also agree that no team should put the game into the hands of the refs. One blown call shouldn't cost the game. Ouch! Congrats Utah

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Nov. 28, 2010 7:11 p.m.

Uteology @ 11:24 am

Once again you try to be slippery, but you are caught.

On your original post you said and I quote, "BYU had its best game of the season against a team with 4 or more wins, yet Utah still won."

You never mentioned an away game on your post. The wins over Washington (5-6) and SDSU (8-4) had significantly better stats for the Cougs. Only a fool would think otherwise.

I won't bore readers with the specific stats on those games (they are easy to find), but do your homework before posting and especially, stop trying to spin when your called on the carpet. Is is unbecoming.

• Rock Chalk BYU Lawrence, KS
    Nov. 28, 2010 7:06 p.m.

Ute fans, c'mon now, be honest, all of the little "Payne is still getting blocked, scoreboard" quotes sound **really really** cheesy. I feel bad for you every time I read them. There's no requirement that says you have to come up with a cute little counterpart to the "Harline" bit. It even sounds worse than the pathetic BYU fans out there that refer to your school as "tun".

Have some dignity.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Nov. 28, 2010 6:41 p.m.

REF: Rock of the Marne
    I like Utah's odd's...The PAC is nothing like it was when the two Major powerhouse teams from Arizona left the old WAC. They jumped right in and tore the PAC apart. Boy they really showed them... I mean they've done so well over all these years. Just look at all those PAC 10 Championships and Rose Bowl appearances and hey what about those National Championships they have between them. I'm sure that Utah won't have much trouble surpassing all that. Week in and week out they'll have to do mighty battle with them Huskies and vicious Beavers and Bruins and Cardinals and such. Yeaper You uteys are really going to show them big fellas how to play ball. Good Luck Utey

• Frazil man Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 5:57 p.m.

I was as surprised as anyone about the SDSU game replay. I thought that would fix the replay issues, but apparently not. Anyway the Cougs lost by 1 because they didn't settle for a FG at one point and settled for one at the end. Coaching blunder. I thought the game was pretty clean, not too many personal fouls, particularly of the uncalled for kind.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 28, 2010 5:12 p.m.

@ Parkite1, I don't know how a 6-6 team that lost badly to Utah State is suddenly going to inflict consistent beat downs on Utah. Just so you know the only team to provide beat downs in this rivalry in the last 10 years has been Utah in 2004 & 2008. I also hate to tell you that the competition week in and week out Utah will face in the PAC 12, along with the boost in quality recruiting from being in one the better AQ conferences will prepare Utah well for future meetings with BYU. Will Utah win them all, not a chance but there is no chance that BYU will do so also. Do us all a favor and learn of the history before you make further baseless predictions that only serve to make you look foolish.

• UtahDerek sandy, ut
    Nov. 28, 2010 5:11 p.m.

Hey Cougar Fans "Payne is still getting blocked, scoreboard".

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Nov. 28, 2010 5:01 p.m.

To all the whining BYU fans, get over it. BYU ended the season on a winning note even though they lost. My true and real Ute fans know that this was one that got away from BYU but, it was a great game regardless. There is nothing more valuable than having a game come down to the last play, builds character and toughness. This will benefit them next year. I liked the way they moved the ball, they just made one too many mistakes. They are looking good for a great year next year.
    GO BYU.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Nov. 28, 2010 4:56 p.m.

This is a good team...Mendenhall needs to make it a better team...and that can only be done by permanently benching the opposition's 12th man his O.C. Anae does not know when to gamble and when to ride a pat hand. Too early in the game and he tries to go from 4th and inches instead of taking the easy 3 point fieldgoal and putting us two scores up. Come on... that's basic Coaching 101. This is almost as asinine as his attempt to run the ball against UCLA inside our own 5 yd line with 7 seconds before the half. The ensuing fumble and UCLA touchdown almost cost Max Hall and company the game. Not taking the 3 points cost Heaps and company a well deserved win. Despite the bad calls... both sides had several each... that was the deciding factor...Anae not taking the 3 point field goal. I can't see how Mendenhall can live continuously with mediocracy like that. Anae just doesn't match up with the talent that he has surrounding him with this team.

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 4:07 p.m.

Why so bitter young man? It's just a game buddy. Sure this one will sting forever but the pain will subside (a little) as the years pass by. Just remember that you're a BYU fan and you're classier than this.

Sorry if I put words in your mouth. I thought it was you who predicted Utah losing out and BYU taking their spot in the Las Vegas bowl. My bad. I also thought it was you who said that the only way to restore civility to the rivalry was for Utah to win, because BYU fans are "gracious" in defeat. Was that you or someone else who made that absurd statement?

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 3:48 p.m.

@ LV Ute Fan

"Got what they deserved."

What??? What did the team do to "deserve" a bad call? Did SDSU do something to "deserve" the bad call in their game.

What sort of faulty logic is that?

Utah proved yesterday that they are certainly no better than the Cougars. When they go to their bowl game in a few weeks, they better hope not to be matched against a team as good as BYU, or Air Force, or SDSU.

You can only get lucky so many times as anyone in LV should know really well.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 28, 2010 3:48 p.m.

Attended the game with my son, enjoyed it immensely. That solid, loud sea of red is impressive.

Did not get beer thrown on me, although one fan turned and toasted the BYU corner of the stadium with his Bud light can after "the block". Wasn't so impressed with that...

By and large, Utah fans were gracious at the game. What's up with some of you guys?!?!?

Really not much else to say. I did make a prediction, and I was wrong. A little more effectiveness in the red zone and one touchdown we had to give you twice before you would take it... would have been right where I thought all along.

Congrats, and good luck! It will always be fun to match up against you, even if the next time isn't quite so cold.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Nov. 28, 2010 3:15 p.m.

How funny, wait until next year smack already. Keep living the dream, BCS is just around the corner.

@Bottom Line
    So if you agree that without the horse collar Wide would have scored, then I guess you would agree that when you don't live right on the field then the Lord steps in and magic happens.

The real bottom line:

Utah 17
    BYU 16

Go Utes!!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Nov. 28, 2010 3:13 p.m.

Why are you even talking about being robbed or refs being unfair? You make that easy kick you won the game! That simple! Make the kick!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Nov. 28, 2010 3:11 p.m.

So now you wanna be Independent and schedule top teams and get your butts kicked? Listen if you can't even win your conf (Mtn West) and go to a BCS bowl game why would you think you would be able to play with the big dogs week in and week out? I get it from a Revenue standpoint but for the sake of the reputation of the FB team and fans your gonna get killed and have 6-5 type seasons. Walk before you can run!

• Not So Common Sense Lehi, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 1:54 p.m.

All I can say is quit whining about the fumble.
    The refs had ALL the replay angles available to them and did NOT see convincing evidence he was down. If the refs on the field had ruled him down they would not have seen evidence that he wasn't. The replay refs made the right call. If there is not compelling evidence they should not overturn the call on the field.
    The outcome of the game was NOT determined by that play. A million possible things could have happened had they reversed the call, ie. Utah could have made a pick 6 on the next play. There was around 5 minutes left in the game at that point.

Utah won by playing great in the 4th quarter. BYU lost. Life goes on.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 28, 2010 1:51 p.m.

I'm glad the rivalry (as it stands) is over. I have never once in 30 years of WAC/MWC football fandom-ever--pulled for BYU. But this game was a gem and both teams played with great sportsmanship and the comments following showed the best from both sides. Coaches and players. Now--Utah has been handed a great gift in the opportunity to compete in a great conference. They will have their ups and downs, but this is nothing but positive. But the Y is not making a mistake to go independent. It's about making a little scratch and setting themselves up to enter a better conference down the road. I hope they do and the MUST do so for football in the state of Utah to flourish and for this game to mean anything. I'm hoping they do well and I think they will.
    PS-The comments by Jake Heaps show a great kid who understands sportsmanship and character. You've got a winner in this one!

• peter Alpine, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 1:43 p.m.

BYU's offense use to be fun to watch under Chow. What happened to it?

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 1:41 p.m.

Only amazing in the fact that an official cost BYU the game. Byu would have won by at least 10 if the official hadn't been blind, or more likely paid off by a Ute booster...

Enjoy your ranking Utes I suspect it will be a long time before you are EVER ranked in the top 25 again. Next year BYU will revenge this officiating lose and blow you out by at least 28 points ! I suspect the TRUE Holy War will become the yearly match-up between BYU and Notre Dame which undoubtly will happen. BYU will continue to smack the Utes for awhile until the rivalry dies off like the Utah/Utah St. one did. Yep BYU and independence will bring HUGE National respect while Utah slips into mediocrity. Remember these words Utes because they will forever haunt you starting next year...

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 28, 2010 1:21 p.m.

Veritas Aquitas, well said.

regarding the U QB "controversy": I could see putting in Cain for one series just to get Wynn motivated and to mix it up. No way, after the first pick, should he have gone back in. Sure had he gained them some yards or possibly a score, but he turned the ball over---something Wynn didn't even do in the first half. Cain's second pick nearly cost the Utes the game.

Wynn would have been just fine if the Utes could have got the running game going sooner. It was almost too late by the time they did. While he wasn't as sharp as Heaps, Wynn still did just enough to win. For that, he will remain the starter for the bowl game.

Speaking of bowls, the Vegas bowl is a solid bowl and a second place MWC team is a good fit. Now had TCU been snubbed by the BCS (had Boise won Friday) and a 12-0 #3 ranked TCU relegated to that bowl, that's another story.

Of course, it's possible the LV bowl snubs the Utes and tries to get Notre Dame to avoid a Utah rematch...

• Nostradamus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:58 p.m.

Uteology 3...Bottom Line 0

Nicely done Uteology.

With that said, I agree with the comments these teams looked closely matched on the field...although (and yes, I am biased for sure) the Utah Coaching looks better.

BYU does have a pretty good freshman QB in Heaps...but, he is a long way from great. Head to head I didn't see much more in Heaps than Utah has in Wynn.

2011 will be interesting. Utah has work to do to complete in the PAC, but recruiting looks good and although it may take a couple years...Utah will continue to improve. BYU should also improve, they have a strong market brand.

As for now...Utah can relish in the win because last I heard the score was 16-17 for the good guys.

• Texas Ute Fan Austin, Texas
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:57 p.m.

yarrlydarb | 9:19 a.m. Nov. 28, 2010
    Ogden, UT

Utes:10-2 & ranked #21 in the nation by AP

BYU:6-6 and unranked

Sorry, BYU is not as good as Utah this year.

Wynn, who runs hot & cold, was just running cold yesterday.

• UtahDerek sandy, ut
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:32 p.m.

The game from a real Utah persepctive.
    All I've heard is how ByU got screwd. Yet Byu benefitted from questionable calls as well
    1. Wide horse collar, he ws on the way to six when that tackle was made.
    2. Mahina juggled catch clearly was out of bounce
    3. Blechen helmet to helmet mahina actually leaned in too him drawing the helmet to helmet.
    If your going to be made at anything, be mad that you didn't have better FG protection. Payne is still getting blocked, Utah must have been living riht this year.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:20 p.m.

Unfortunately I am not the only person who lives in Fruit Heights, so ask FAYM their own questions. BTW, do you know a guy named Bob in Ft. Worth?

You and Hapa are both missing the point with Heaps.

I'm not comparing him to Wynn, because I have never had a reason to compare a BYU QB to a Utah QB. They recruit different type players for different systems.

But if you don't see something special in Heaps, you haven't been watching him long enough. Hapa, was BYU stopped in the "Red Zone" by Heaps, or Anae?

UtahManDan | 8:03 a.m.
    I have never made a prediction on a college football game. I have mentioned trends, and have watched the other games in conference and talked about what teams need to do to overcome those teams. I have never tried here, or personally, to predict the outcome, so don't go there.

Congrats again to the Utah players.

Utah fans, booing Wynn, saying mark it down, making things up (Dan), selective stats (Uteology), have never had my respect.

Commonsense Ute fan (my Ute buddies) have all of my respect.

Good luck in the future.

• Chad S Derby, KS
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:13 p.m.

Ah yes, the fumble that wasn't. Great job with the block, but it never should have gotten to that point.

@LV Ute Fan, any number of message boards have a freeze frame shot of the knee down, ball firmly in possession. No fumble.

It was wrong against SDSU (it's debatable that it cost SDSU the game) and it was wrong against BYU (clearly cost BYU the chance to hold the ball and prevent a go-ahead Ute TD).

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:05 p.m.

1- Blechan's was not a legal hit as he catupulted himself into the receiver. By the way, the receiver caught the ball which was incorrectly ruled incomplete.
    2- The Wide horse collar. I'll give you that.
    3- The bobbling to me showed ball security as he went to the ground. A 50/50 call. Todd Christensen called it a catch and James Bates said no catch.
    4- The fumble both guys and everyone knew that was just a plain bad call.

Nonetheless, both teams were way too conservative and BYU had a 100 chances to win, Utah had 1 and got it.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:49 a.m.

@Bottom Line

Here are few of the calls BYU got away with:

1. Horse collar tackle saving touchdown on Wide
    2. Blechan's legal hit on Hahin which caused a TO that was ruled illegal
    3. Bobbling no catch on a 3rd down that lead to a BYU field goal

If I missed something I apologies.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:34 a.m.

"Bad calls both ways" is a statement made by someone who just got away with one. Also, no BYU fan ever said that DiLuigi didn't fumble so get over it. Also looks as if the Utes got favorable calls down the stretch against SDSU so the football gods are shining on Utah. To even compare a horse collar with a turnover is just foolish...give it a rest.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:30 a.m.

Uteology - You are a dreamer. Horse collar???? are you serious. BYU's best game...thanks for your couch analysis.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:24 a.m.

@MacNasty 9:38

Okay Mr. Reality, I'll make it easy for you and do the research all you have to do is pick the 4+ win team you played better against:

A) @AFA 34 BYU 14
    B) @FSU 34 BYU 10
    C) @USU 31 BYU 16
    D) BYU 24 SDSU 21(SDSU still waiting for a forfeit)
    D) @TCU 31 BYU 3
    E) @Utah 17 BYU 16

Against SDSU like in the Utah you had a great game plan to run the play clock down to slow the game for your freshman, with POS:

BYU 45 minutes
    SDSU 15 minutes

But in those 15 minutes SDSU had 270 yards so BYU should have dominated the game, but you did not.

So, unless I missed something the reality is the game at Utah was your best road game against a four or more win team.

BYU is headed upwards?

According to Scouts the mid-majors class rankings are:
    BYU 46.67
    Utah 68.22

NFL talent drafted the last two years:
    Utah 11
    BYU 4

Reality shows future isn't as bright as you think since your not developing the same talent like you were.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:20 a.m.

Congrats to the Utes. I hope you do well in the PAC 12. Quality program, coaches and kids.

BYU has a very bright future. Heaps will only mature and improve with reps leading up to a bowl and then being the man through spring and summer. We have some great young kids on both sides of the ball who will only continue to improve as well. Apo, Q, Van Noy, TEs, etc etc. It will be fun to see how much these young kids can improve in the off season. This should be a very good Cougar team next September to kick off Independence.

We need to bring in some JC kids to shore up the losses in the defensive backfield but otherwise we are looking very solid across the board for next season.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:11 a.m.

Fun game. Too many of my fellow Y fans are whining about refs though...BYU should have won the game anyway, but made too many mental and coaching mistakes. How does Bronco pull a Crowton-vs-Boise and play for a 40+ yeard field goal to win it? That is leaving way to much up to chance, and you paid for it. Terrible blocking.

Still, I am happy to see how this team turned the season around. Great job - the future looks bright. Congrats to the Utah fans, your season is not the dream it could have been but you won enough to make it a season to be proud of.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:10 a.m.

What an awesome game!

The fumble call was questionable in my mind but as it has been stated before, they must not have had enough to overturn the call on the field. There were calls blown all game long, and both ways. Diluigi had a block in the back no call and the horse collar on Wide was clearly missed.

Thanks to all the cougs who can take their medicine and congratulate the Utes.

Oh yeah, and to those that can't, all I have to say is .... 2 out of 3 baby!

• My2Pence Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 10:17 a.m.

Congratulations and the Utes and their fans. What a great win for them, and the rivalry.

For Cougar fans, I read this once...

"Of course, there are worse things that can happen in life than losing a game, but we all know the pain we can feel after a difficult loss, or even the joy we feel after a great win. This game is one of joy and pain. If you want to feel the joy, you must be willing to suffer the pain; This game is not a matter of life and death -- it only feels that way sometimes!"

• LV Ute Fan Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 28, 2010 10:08 a.m.

For all you TDS fans who are wondering why we have instant replay, so is SDSU. The same TDS fans that thought that was ok, are now complaining about a call that didn't go their way. Too bad! Seems to me you got what you deserve. BTW it's not as clear as most of you are saying, there was obviously not enough evidence to overturn the call.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 9:53 a.m.

RE bulldozer

I agree, however the game was decided by mediocre play calling that stalled a true freshman QB in the red zone 3 times settling for field goals. Instead of 21 points the "Y" had 9 that is letting another mediocre team hang around and decide the game by a tremendous play off the edge to block an easy chip shot for the win.

Anae has got to go bye bye and soon.

"POLY" Cougar Nation

• paul judd Preston, Idaho
    Nov. 28, 2010 9:49 a.m.

I do not feel bad that the Utes won. I have hated the Utes for years. After last conference talk by Pres U on sportsmanship. I determined to tone it down and I have done that. Both fans seem to be more civil this time around. It was more enjoyable this time around. Yes the refs blew that call however it was Anaes extremely poor play calling that cost us the game. Hard to watch the Cougs run it right up the middle 3 plays in a roll. Great defense by the Utes. One last thing Utes. If we are such a bad team why are you so excited over being such a poor team. Seems like after all of our close wins you finally got one. Maybe it is Karma's way of balancing things out. It is less heated by one person. I finally let it go and toned it down. I enjoyed the game if not the outcome

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Nov. 28, 2010 9:38 a.m.

Uteology @ 7:24 am

You can dream on about the Cougars having their best game, but those who live in reality know that simply is not the case; far from it.

The Utes and the Cougars were evenly matched yesterday, but the big difference is the future. The Cougs are headed upwards, the Utes are going the other way.

Like trouble, luck comes in threes (AFA, SDSU, BYU). Hope you enjoy the Las Vegas bowl (you know the one the Ute fans maligned so much). Your team better be prepared because Lady Luck will not be sitting on your sidelines; like Elvis, she has left the building.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    Nov. 28, 2010 9:26 a.m.

I really wish writers would stop calling it a fumble, especially Mr Harmon. The ball was ripped from his arms long after his knee was down, that much is perfectly clear.

Many keep saying that BYU shouldn't have let Utah back into the game. While there is a point there, ultimately BYU did make the huge defensive stop that was needed only to have it blatantly cheated away from them.

Of course there were questionable calls both ways, that's the game, but none were as blatantly wrong, obvious, and crucial to the game as the knee being on the ground long before the ball came out.

Amazing game? definitely
    Tainted game? Absolutely

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 9:19 a.m.

It was a great game, full of as much excitement as there has ever been in the rivalry.

CONGRATULATIONS UTAH! Good luck in the LV Bowl!

That said, here are a few facts to keep in mind about this past season and the next:

1. Utah has a good team but was definitely overrated.

2. BYU is as good as Utah and was definitely underrated during the season.

3. Without the lucky breaks this year, Utah may well have been a 7-5 or even a 6-6 team.

4. Wynn hasn't achieved his potential and will surely improve for 2011.

5. Heaps, although not achieving all that he wanted, has proven to be as good a freshman QB as any who has attended the "QB Factory."

6. Unless Utah and Wynn make significant improvement in 2011, the Utes will probably end up in the middle of the PAC-12.

7. The Cougars in their independent role have an excellent opportunity to play before a significantly larger national audience, potentially producing just as good a chance for a BCS bowl appearance in the 2011 season as the PAC-12 Utes.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 8:50 a.m.

Mediocrity is now being hyped! This was a game for parents and family to cheer for.

It's like going to a High School play and saying " That was good " for a High School play.

Really, Heaps again choking in the Red Zone, and Anae keeping it real with I know lets run a Dive on First Down, and Utah unable to do anything offensively. Pathetic performance for the Utes who on paper should have handled these guy's.

Yawn, yawn, yawn.....

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 8:50 a.m.

As they say in NASCAR who is the lucky dog. UTAH. Hope this does not make the DNs censor nervous!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 8:47 a.m.

Good Call in Portland from the WOLF !
    It seems to me like you have the wisdom to recognize the game for what it was.. a white knuckled exciting game.
    I get's old reading the tripe of the if's and but writers.
    I particularly liked your final statement'" Both teams have reason to be proud. But suggestions that one team is far superior to the other, or even that one significantly outplayed the other today, is nonsense."
    As for the replay and fumble recovery BYU fell on it's own sword. Somewhere today Brady Hoke of San Diego State is smiling.
    Utah just happened to have enough gas left to make that 4 seconds in time put a "W" into the history books.
    My hear felt thanks go out to Burton and his desire to follow the coaches instructions and the extra time that they took into the film room to expose the Achilles Heel of the the kicking game-- that observation alone set up the block of the decade.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Nov. 28, 2010 8:28 a.m.

Two comments I did not make in earlier post. This game could have been won by BYU if they had only scored more points!

Utah would have lost if BYU had scored more points!

That being said:

Great game and hats off the the die-hard Utes. They never gave up and like the SDSU game, caught a couple of breaks and won.

Likewise, BYU fought like mamma cougars, but were held back by an over-conservative OC who played not to lose.

However, if Heaps had folded or threw a couple of pics in the endzone, we'd all be complaining that they should have protected Heaps more.

I think this was a great game and I'm looking forward to the new era of BYU independence and Utah in the Pac12. I'll be rooting for my Dawgs to pound the Utes every time and for BYU to look good against the more national teams on their schedule.

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 8:03 a.m.

You are .500 on your predictions for Utah the last 4 weeks (same for sammyg). That's pretty good. Ironically it's the same percentage as the Utah fans who predicted that Utah would win out. That puts you and sammyg on their level...along with flipping a coin. Impressive. You two really know the game of football! Where is sammyg by the way? Has anyone seen him? Now that it is the post season and he is officially rooting for Utah, I'd like to raise my Twinkie with him to toast the bowl season.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 8:03 a.m.

Too hard to put in the amazing file, but I do have a tainted file where it fits. Not sure why we have replay at all. They can't seem to overturn any calls.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Nov. 28, 2010 7:24 a.m.

Amazing is...

A) Utah played another horrible game (3 of 4)

B) BYU had its best game of the season against a team with 4 or more wins

yet Utah still won.

@Veritas or FAYM or whatever you go by

Heisman Heaps matched Wynn's numbers. The difference we yanked Wynn out of the game because he played horrible.

BTW... I think everyone will agree that the worst no call of the game was when BYU horse collared Wide in the open field saving a Utah touchdown.

• Bulldozer Thayne, WY
    Nov. 28, 2010 7:02 a.m.

What was amazing about the game was who decided the out come. I am sure that neither team won or lost the game. The team in the replay both had the biggest input on who won and lost. I am a fan of both teams and it makes me sick to think a bunch of young men can play that hard only to leave the decision of who should win to a group in the replay both. I would rather see a bad call made by the referees who have to make the calls in real time then someone who is using replays and still getting it wrong. BYU has been on each side of this issue this year and the Mountain West needs to improve the quality of the replay booth.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Nov. 28, 2010 6:36 a.m.

Can't blame the refs for this one. Yes, there were some questionable calls, but BYU should never have left the game in the hands of the refs. Get out of the way of the punt - hold on to the ball when you intercept it. Kick a field goal and go up by two scores when it's fourth and one. Pick up the fumbled ball - pick off the three passes that hit our defenders hands. There were lots of opportunities for the Cougs in this one and they just couldn't pull it off. Congrats to the Utes.
    But, BYU has a lot of positives to take from this game. BYU has something special in Heaps - a freshman QB with that poise? Very hard to find. Quezada and Hoffman will mature and do good things for BYU. Van Noy will mature and become a force on defense. We're losing alot in the secondary next year, but we've all been hearing good things about some of the new players coming in to the secondary, so it's going to be an interesting year next year. And we still have a bowl game - go Cougs!

• Jimmy James Bronx, NY
    Nov. 28, 2010 6:16 a.m.

I don't know, that was a pretty ugly game (especially for the Utes).

However, maybe this was the right way for the MWC rivalry to end because now fans of either team really can't talk smack.

BYU can't say much because of the final score, and Utah can't really say much because lets be honest, if it wasn't for some very lucky breaks we would be on the other side of the scoreboard.

Lets hope that next year it's an offensive shoot-out with the score something like 57 to 50. Now that would be an amazing game.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Nov. 28, 2010 5:57 a.m.

Forget the Blocked Punt....Forget the reviewed fumble that clearly showed that the reciever was down before the ball was ripped out of his hands. Forget the the role of the men in stripes. There were bad calls on both sides of the ball. However...Robert Anae owes this team an apology for making the biggest blunder of his career. Leading 6-0 early in the 3rd Quarter with an easy opportunity to put 3 more points on the board he alone is responsible for not taking the 3 points as it turned out that he should have. This by far, overshadows the desasterous attempt to run out of a deep hole inside our own 5 yd line with 7 seconds on the clock before the half in the UCLA game several years ago. Rule number one is Never take points off the board and Rule number 2 is you always put points on the board when the easy opportunity is there. Robert Anae gambled way too early in the game and despite everything else... including the blocked punt... he lost on that one pivetal play. This is a great team but this is not a great coaching staff.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 5:30 a.m.

Utah wins by one on a pair of lucky dimes? Thought this was supposed to be a blowout?

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    Nov. 28, 2010 4:03 a.m.

Another classic.

If I were a Ute fan, I'd be concerned about the apparent lack of confidence in Wynn in a tough game. BYU defense played very well into the 4th where it too many breaks went Utah's way.

Who will be Utah's QB in a bowl game?

• R.Burgandy Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 27, 2010 11:58 p.m.

What a game! BYU usually plays well against the Utes in SLC for 3 quarters, then can't seems to close it out in the 4th quarter for some reason. Where's Mo Rivera when you need him! BYU most likely wins the game if they kick the field goal in the 3rd quarter and gets a correct call on the bradley fumble.(I thought that is why we have a replay booth)Anyway, congrats to the Utes as they fought thru some bad breaks of their own to overtake the Y and win the game. Good luck Utah next year in the PAC 12 and good luck to the Cougs next year as they go independent. It's going to be great!!!

• Wolf Portland, OR
    Nov. 27, 2010 11:55 p.m.

I think the chest-pounding from both sides of this rivalry is getting absurd. As Dick points out, this has been an incredibly close rivalry for more than a decade. Very little has separated the teams. Consequently, an insult to the other team insults your own. For example, those who suggest that Utah will be a poor PAC team, unintentionally, but logically, suggest that BYU would also be a poor PAC team. Neither team is far enough ahead of the other (either now, in the recent past, or the foreseeable future) to credibly argue that one team's fortunes in another setting would vary significantly from the other team in the same setting.

Also, it is a bit premature to argue that Heaps is headed for greatness and Wynn is headed for failure. That may be true, but remember, Wynn played a great game against BYU last year as a freshman - most thought he outplayed Max Hall. Heaps may continue an upward trajectory, but that is far from certain.

• eyeliketoreadthepaper Orem, UT
    Nov. 27, 2010 11:40 p.m.

I won't be putting this in the "amazing file" because this game wasn't amazing. The refs blew this game. It was clear as day that the knee was down. It didn't help that BYU settled for a field goal instead trying for a touch down. How about the Ute players pushing the BYU kicker around after he was blocked? Really classy, Utes. Their own coach had to stop them from acting like bullies.

• Basketballogy Orem, UT
    Nov. 27, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Make no mistake: I am definitely a big BYU fan, and I have to agree, that was one heck of a game! Wow.

Hats off to the Utes for never throwing in the towel and fighting to the last second. There shouldn't be a sports fan alive who can't admire that.

Good job, Utah.

See ya next year! :-)

• FAYM Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 27, 2010 11:16 p.m.

Ute Fan: Son, you're looking at a legend.
    Child: I guess a legend and an out-of-work bum look a lot a like, daddy.

Let's see what you can do in the pac before we start talking legends.

St. Heaps, now, theres a legend....

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 27, 2010 11:12 p.m.

Nice game Utah Players.

It will never be the same until the PAC allows you to play in November.

But, until September, you have scoreboard, but BYU has Heaps.

Dream about that for awhile.