Sports

Utah, BYU football: Brothers sit on different sides of rivalry — almost

Comments

• rford28213 Draper, UT
    Nov. 26, 2010 7:24 p.m.

Austin: No brainer!! Blood is thicker than water!! Wear BLUE and cheer for big brother in the MUSS!! See who you're friends really are!! GO COUGARS!!

• NT Springville, UT
    Nov. 26, 2010 5:05 p.m.

I attended both schools. As a Ute I cheered for the Utes, but could not understand why *many* Ute fans seemed more interested in celebrating a Cougar loss than they did a Ute victory. Until I was a BYU student I wouldn't cheer for BYU - but I would not cheer against them (unless, of course, they were playing Utah) - like many of the rabid U fans.

Now, I cheer for both. Nothing is more aggravating to my Ute fan associates than a BYU fan who also roots for the U.

I just wanna see a well-played game with GOOD sportsmanship (including fans) - a game that goes down to the last possession.

• Tami Herriman, UT
    Nov. 26, 2010 2:21 p.m.

Interesting how many of the U coaches learned at BYU. Austin, figure it out and change schools while you're young!

• gnrl39 South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 26, 2010 9:22 a.m.

I have wanted BSU to be in the same conference as BYU, Utah and now TCU. That would have been great.
    But things change and I wish Utah success in the PAC 12. BYU fans across the country will now have the opportunity to see the Cougars more often on ESPN. I suppose TCU will soon be gone also and I'll be left with BSU dominating the Mountain West Conference. So, I root for all of the Utah teams unless they play BSU and so far I've never been disappointed with the results of those games.

• Maverick/Goose Blue Orem, UT
    Nov. 25, 2010 11:48 p.m.

I understand completey. If I had a brother play for the u I would want him to succeed but NO way would cheer for those people on the hill.

Go Cougars!

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Nov. 25, 2010 11:16 p.m.

Why does this guy even have a conflict? I basicly hate ute fans but if one of my sons or brothers ever were to play for the u I would immediately be a fan. I don't even understand how anyone would ever feel a conflict in a situation like that one. It's your brother. Do you think Kyle Whittinghams brothers are conflicted? Hardly and they all actually played at BYU.