Sports

5A high school football championship: Bingham team could go down in Utah history

Comments

• lancer3622 west valley city, ut
    Dec. 1, 2010 7:24 p.m.

Mr. Razorback, just a bit of clarification, my reference towards Alta being a mediocre team was to point out that this year's Alta team was not on the same level of the Alta teams that we've become accustom to the past couple of years. My point in regards to Bingham is that they deserve all the accolades for what they have accomplished this year. But I'm disappointed that they weren't given the opportunity to measure themselves against competition on a national level. People who have been following Bingham, have been looking foward to this year's group of Seniors since they were in little league. I don't believe that their #2 ranking in the USA Today Prep Poll is warranted. They have only played one game of signifigance on the national scene and in my opinion, they performance was a bit disapointing. Kahuku is a state power, not a national power. You can't tell me that Coach Peck couldn't put together a more solid pre-season schedule than what they had this year. Heck, Alta had a tougher preseason schedule! Just my two cents brother!

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 25, 2010 12:41 p.m.

Lancer

Interesting comments on the weakness of R3 while you are blasting Alta as a weak team, which by the way finished second in R4 including a win over semi-finalist Jordan. Riverton came within two minutes of beating R4 champ LP. Why don't you consider R4 to be just as weak.

While you're at it, consider that R2 was so weak it couldn't even place a team into the semi-finals.

Let's not forget R1, besides Fremont the only other team to move beyond the first round was Northridge who did so with a one TD victory over that mediocre Alta team. Bingham then blasted NR.

Alta started the year with a very good team that choked away the Cottonwood game and challenged Bingham as well as any team this year. Alta just continued to unravel throughout the year and morphed into a mediocre team by season's end.

Some argue that 5A all-around was weak.

I won't argue that anyone was weak. I think there was some pretty good football by the top two or three teams from each region and Bingham simply stood head and shoulders above the rest.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 24, 2010 2:22 p.m.

Lancer: Each year is a different team. Meaning just because they beat a Kahuku team 2 years ago soundly, doesn't mean that team couldn't be better this year. Just as you stated this years Alta team was not as good as one 2 years ago. I don't think it's fortunate either that they were able to play the Alta team that was mediocre. They would have beat last years Alta team as well. As for the weakest region, comment. Maybe so, but that region had 2 teams in the quarter finals I believe. So can't be too weak.

• lancer3622 west valley city, ut
    Nov. 24, 2010 11:29 a.m.

Does Bingham deserved recognition as one of the greatest prep football teams in Utah's history? Definitely! Are they the best ever in Utah's history? Arguably so! But there isn't any legitimate way to measure that. So this topic will continue to be debated regardless of what we say. I do want share my opinion in regards to the comments made on this discussion board. What's sad about this argument is that we'll never really know how great this Bingham Squad was. First of all they play in one of the weakest regions in the state. Second, they were fortunate to play an Alta program that was very mediocre this year. Third, everyone had been following this particular group of seniors since they were gremlins in the Ute Conference Little League. Everyone knew that this group was special. After all the build up to this year's senior group and the best we could do was schedule a pre-season game agaisnt a Kahuku squad that they already dominated a couple years ago in Cedar City. I don't buy that.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 23, 2010 2:34 p.m.

2-12whs

Come on Uncle Ricco, give it a rest. You and your West this and I wish West could have played Bingham and some old team from West is the best. There is not any team from the 70s 80s or 90s including the great Skyline teams. I have read many postings on other articles and have to agree. The size, speed and strength of the HS athletes are just superior to some 'Tough' 160 lb linebacker who played for East in 1982. Every 5A team now has linebackers that are much bigger and stronger than lineman 10-15 years ago. That is just a fact. The Linebackers now are also faster than DBs 'back in the day'. Bingham and Alta and other 5A teams have Safeties that are over 200 lbs and run under 4.7. It is just not a contest. Trust me, I love to be nostalgic just like every 40-60yr old dude, but I have to admit, the older I get the better I was.

I was really hoping Bingham would lose, both last year and this year, but I was also realistic. They were too good and too deep.

• 2-12whs Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2010 10:11 p.m.

no one underestimate UT there becoming a great state for football! and if we werent great at football we wouldnt be catching attention from tip teams in the nation like Trinity. also UT teams have beat teams outa state who clam they are they are the best in nation. like West High goin to Ohio and beating a team who claimed they were the best. I congratulate Bingham on there perfect season and they will go down as one of the best but they are NOT the best. in my mind the best would have to Be a tie between West, East, and Skyline. when team accomplish half the things these teams have done then they can be considered good but Bingham still has a much to accomplish 4 championships aint enough but congrats on the win great season best of luck to harvey langi and wat ever school he wishes to go to

• JNA Layton, UT
    Nov. 22, 2010 6:06 p.m.

I have lived and watched high school football in Texas and Louisiana for a number of years and I have watched Bingham 4 times this year and I can tell you there are at least 25 schools in Texas that Bingham would not beat. Are they the best school in Utah...yes this year. In history, no way!

• TheTruth801 Bluffdale, UT
    Nov. 22, 2010 5:38 p.m.

The HS polls are like any sports polls, only opinions. 5A football, which is the best classification in the state (sorry 3A), was average at best. This does not take anything away from Bingham, but the competition was poor. Alta gave them their best game and they lost in the first round this year.

• Wolverine 04 South Jordan, Ut
    Nov. 22, 2010 5:05 p.m.

Binghamalum
    Please list the 14 Division one players on Bingham?
    They are a very good team, but honestly there is not 14 D1 players.
    Just curious.

• bullmountain Herriman, Utah
    Nov. 22, 2010 3:42 p.m.

The Truth Serum: I think it is fair to say that Coach Peck and Bingham certainly are on their way to being inside your "top program" category. 3 championship appearances in the last 5 years, 2 time defending state champs, multiple division 1 players. I agree it is not there yet with the Skyling/Timpview programs but give it time to develop and I know Bingham will be with those 2 as the greatest programs in Utah. Hopefully we will all see just how great this program will be when they show up next season. Bingham looses tons of talent but I think they are up to the challenge of developing their players to fill into all the holes they will have. Their QB for next year has some big shoes to fill. Stefan Cantwell is the real deal. He is coachable and a very hard worker as shown in his development as a passer this past year

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 22, 2010 3:19 p.m.

They did win convincingly, but not as convincingly as this Bingham team. (see above)

• Hoosier Kearns, Utah
    Nov. 22, 2010 2:23 p.m.

The Hunter '03-'04 team truly was loaded. They won and won convincingly. One thing they didn't possess was much discipline. Honestly, if this pack of Wolverines had been led by a Mike Fraser or a Chad Van Orden, we wouldn't even be here arguing today who was the 'greatest' of all time.

• Bingham 4 Life South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 22, 2010 1:46 p.m.

It takes a good program to build good teams and occasionally great teams. Its the culture of winning the right way. If there is a team that will rank in the top 5 Nation wide consistently, I think Bingham has the best chance because their program is solid.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 22, 2010 12:15 p.m.

Truth, can you comprehend the difference between "TEAM" and "PROGRAM" I don't recall anybody saying BHS had the best program.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 22, 2010 11:12 a.m.

The truth serum!
    A skyline old player who cant realize they have no done anything in 2000's besdies 05!
    the argument is not the about the greatest program of all time, because obviously it comes and goes depending on players.
    But this is a article about the best team in utah history, not program!
    Bingham has 14 Division one players, A QB who destroyed teams all year and at the U back to back years! Margin of VICTORY not high!
    Bingham cant be determined by how bad teams were in footabll this year. but if someone ranks a utah team at #4 IN THE NATION!
    24 games in a row! Lowest winning margin in a game this year, um 23 points!! 638 points, 9.5 points a game!!
    Most talented team ever in utah football.
    Good luck argueing how good and dominating this team was, not lost a game together as a group for about 13 years!! NOT BAD!!
    OH AND ALL YOU DOUBTERS! ALL LIVE IN SOUTH JORDAN UTAH!!!! they dont recruit! if you got proof go show it !
    its open enrollment but all these kids played together sine 8 years old!

• The Truth Serum Bluffdale, UT
    Nov. 22, 2010 10:19 a.m.

Again. The national rankings were not popular or even considered relevant until recently, so you can't say because Bingham was ranked highest in state history so they are the best.

It is a privilege just to be considered one of the best teams to come out of the state. Is that not enough for BHS fans?

Dave is a great coach but he has a long way to go before he can be considered a Skyline type program.

Dave would need to do the following to be placed in the top programs category:

1. Play for the state championship in 9 consecutive seasons
    2. Win the state championship 5 straight times.
    3. Own an undefeated playoff record at home.
    4. Go to the semifinals 14 straight years.

Those are just a few of the records Skyline holds over others in the state. You need to keep that in perspective before you start calling yourself the greatest program the state has ever seen.

You will never see as dominant a stretch of football as Skyline put together ever again in this state.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 22, 2010 8:26 a.m.

I went and watch chandler hamilton last week because I am currently in AZ so I was impressed by them, they are very good and have a QB who is ranked top 10 in his class who is good, I have watched bingham alot this year with USA today posting alot of there games online! and the Desnews during state!
    Binghams defense can stop alot of ppl. They dont have any person playing both ways. Hamilton and that GRANT, CA school I watched on espn twice, both teams have alot of kids playing both ways!!!!
    Bingham could easily keep up with both of them and win a big hard faught battle!
    Bingham had chances against TRINITY in TEXAS playing by there rules. If cantwell started they could of easily upset that team. This year had they played maybe say in ARIZONA neutral site! oh that could of been anyones game.
    Bingham played a HORRIBLE second half against Fremont and still won 30-7!
    Bingham how ever looked so bad in the fourth quarter with all the penalties that was very bad for them and sad to see from a ALUM and a peck coached team!

• Bingham 4 Life South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 21, 2010 8:14 p.m.

Considering the experts on USA Today and their years of experience in providing National Rankings for High School Football and knowing more about the top High School Football Programs in the Nation than most of us can imagine, I am proud to say this years football team is the best ever out of Utah.

Most importantly, Dave Peck will have the best High School Football program that Utah has ever seen. Most of us talk about how well the kids do in football in the next level to determine the best team ever.

Coach Peck's mind set is how well the young man is doing in life. That is what its all about. This is why Bingham Dynasty will continue as long as Coach Peck is at the Helm. As a result, in a short while, Utah High School Football teams will be placing 2-3 teams on the top 25 National rankings every year and we all WIN!!!

Amazing what one Great Football program can do.

Go BINGHAM!!!!!

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 21, 2010 2:59 p.m.

I think Bingham has a rightful claim (as much as anyone else) to be called best ever.

It is unfortunate another 5A team didn't emerge to at least test them a little.. but maybe Bingham was just that good.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 21, 2010 10:41 a.m.

Re Gilbert AZ I agree with u. That Tinity Tx team was way good. But Texas plays college rules, most important, they allow them to cut block players. I don't think Bingham was ready for that kind of blocking. That is what makes Air Force so good.

• One Nil to the Arsenal! Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 20, 2010 11:23 p.m.

Re: Bama Fan.

Yaaa, I'm going to have to disagree with you completely. I've seen both Chandler Hamilton and Bingham play this year, and Bingham is the better team. Better all around offense. Chandler is too one dimensional, and Bingham has a better run defense. Utah football has come along way (except the Utes taking 3 steps back when they got waxed by TCU). Jordan beat a highly ranked team from Georgia a few years ago at their house. Plus, lets remember, Bingham played Trinity with Texaz football rules. Different tackling is allowed in Texas, not Utah. Trinity will not accept an invitation to come to Utah to play Bingham. They can't risk getting beat in the national polls.

• Moog South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 20, 2010 7:14 p.m.

In response to all of your pontificating and in the words of Napoleon Dynamite, like anyone can even know that

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2010 6:20 p.m.

Not sure I agree with you BamaFan. I am not a Bingham fan by any streth. (binghamalum thinks I am a parent or something LOL)

You say Utah's best could not hang with states like Florida, TX, AZ and CA... I will give you TX and FL, but only a handful of teams, maybe 3-4 teams that could hang with Bingham. You bring up Trinity, the powerhouse 5A team. They have won the highest division of TX football like 3 out of 5 years and are #1 in the country in most polls.

A few years ago Alta played Grant HS, who is considered the top CA team and top 10 in the country several times. Alta beat them one year by 20. The next yeat they went out to CA and lost by 7 only because they had 6 turnovers. Grant won the CIF championship that year and blew everyone out....except Alta.

I grew up in AZ, and our teams WERE better than UT, but not now. Granted that only a couple of teams could hang with other states, but the top 2 or 3 would beat all AZ teams.

• BamaFan Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 20, 2010 5:17 p.m.

I agree with "The Truth Serum." The talent in 5A this year was not as good, top to bottom, as in years past. However, based on their accomplishments, you have to put this years Bingham team in the argument with the Hunter and Skyline teams. That is all it is though, opinion for the sake of argument. The true determination will be how these highly local recruited athletes from Bingham, fair at the next level.

I also have to disagree with Peck a little when it comes to Utah football overall. I watch a lot of HS football and I can tell you that Utah's best couldn't hang with the top schools from states like Florida, Texas, Arizona, California etc. As good as Bingham was this year, they still would have lost to a Trinity team from Texas or a team like Chandler Hamilton from Arizona. Utah football has a ways to go before they are mentioned with those states.

• LV Ute Fan Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 20, 2010 4:38 p.m.

I watched the game on the D-news, and I was not impressed. People are saying Bingham is the best ever? Really? The best team ever lost the second half!

Best team ever? I don't think so!

• The Truth Serum Bluffdale, UT
    Nov. 20, 2010 1:46 p.m.

BT1984. We seem to agree to disagree quite a bit on these boards and its nice that you are a fan with some perspective. It's way to hard to argue Bingham as being the best in state history. It's also too hard to argue that they aren't. Even comparing average margin of victory is hard because of the running clocks, the fact that coach peck admitted to running up the score because of the national polls etc. There are some games Bingham could have named the score and it could be said that the other teams you mentioned could of as well. Stats can be meant to say whatever you want them to in order to validate a point. I think 5a on the whole was very weak this year with bingham being much better than everyone else. It doesn't take away from binghams accomplishment at all too say that. I think Bhs fans are looking for everyone to annoint this team as the greatest ever because that's what they have been telling themselves since gremlins. They should be proud that they will be considered among the best teams to play in Utah

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2010 10:58 a.m.

Bingham success can be attributed to the fact that they had great class of young men this year and also that many teams did not!

As for greatest teams ever..... I like Hunter 2003 and Alta 2007(defensively the dominated everyone)......

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 20, 2010 9:58 a.m.

I'm not going to convince anyone who's already made their mind up on "who's greatest". Some argue that players from past teams have done well in the college and as pros. These Bingham players have yet to play in the college or professional ranks so we can't say how they'll perform in either..
    Only time will tell.
    Bingham 2010 (13-0)
    Scored: 638 (49.1 per game)
    Allowed: 123 (9.5 per game)
    Average difference: 39.6

Hunter 2003 (14-0)
    Scored: 567 (40.5 per game)
    Allowed: 134 (9.6 per game)
    Average difference: 30.9

Skyline 1999 (13-0)
    Scored: 540 (41.5 per game)
    Allowed: 150 (11.5 per game)
    Average difference: 30

Timpview
    2006 (12-1)
    Scored: 344 (26.5 per game)
    Allowed: 77 (5.9 per game)
    Average difference: 20.6
    2007 (13-0)
    Scored: 545 (41.9 per game)
    Allowed: 92 (7.1 per game)
    Average difference: 34.8
    2008 (13-0)
    Scored: 504 (38.8 per game)
    Allowed: 156 (12 per game)
    Average difference: 26.8
    2009 (11-2)
    Scored: 542 (41.7 per game)
    Allowed: 180 (13.9 per game)
    Average difference: 27.8