BYU football: Cougars flatten Rams on road, 49-10

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 15, 2010 10:28 a.m.

Just curious about where all the Robert Anae critics have gone. Same guy running the same offense. Let's be honest; the level of competition has gone down, so the level of execution has gone up. My impression is that Heaps is seeing the field better though, and that's a credit to Doman, but the Utah game and a possible bowl game will show much more clearly what progress he's made.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 15, 2010 8:08 a.m.

@ UtahManDan... That was a good one dude! Thanks for making me laugh on a Monday morning!

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Nov. 14, 2010 6:50 p.m.

Another impressive complete game by the cougars this time on the road! I believe the bye hit at the right time and enabled byu to correct some things and work on the passing game. Ashworth has really redeemed himself nicely after a very bad start to the season. Heaps looked sharp and the defense once again played very well. keep it up Cougars!

• HawaiianAggie Logan, Utah
    Nov. 14, 2010 6:49 p.m.

It seems like BYU doesn't have much to gloat about, considering that they are 5-5 and Utah is still 8-2. That said, it will probably be a good game when they clash at Rice-Eccles.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 14, 2010 6:29 p.m.

You're right TJ. I hate seeing college football come to an end, but it's fun seeing how recruiting, spring ball, and summer workouts are going. Next year will be different for both teams.

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 14, 2010 6:29 p.m.

Uteology | 4:54 p.m

"But the days when BYU football was producing greats like Steve Young are over."

Do you care If I pass on your judgement of football talent.

Last summer you said Peyton Manning couldn't do a better job than Alex Smith, yet Troy Smith has the 49ers winning. Is Troy Smith better than Peyton Manning, or just better than Alex Smith?

I'm looking forward to Alex Smith's next comeback to mediocrity.

All that I'm saying is your crimson glasses bias everything you say to the point that it is (and has been) difficult to take anything you ever say seriously...

As a true freshman, Jake Heaps looks as good right now as anyone (Even though the Utes tried to make the ND fresman look great too).

Just ride it out four years, and you can eat crow on that comment too.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 14, 2010 5:31 p.m.

BYU and Utah are both class programs and will both enjoy success as good teams in the coming years. It is nice to not see the high amount of no-class comments from the ususl suspects. Hope everyone remembers in the future how it feels to go from hopeless to hopeful and from hopeful to disappointed before they post some of their garbage. Good coaches, good young men and great schools. Stay high on your team and stay off the other ones backs and try to be classy. Looking forward to a great game on the 27th no matter who wins.
    On Wynn and Heaps: Reserve judgement until their careers are over. I think both will have good careers and benefit from being in good programs. I am already getting down a little knowing the regular season will be over in a few weeks.
    Gotta love college football!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 14, 2010 3:44 p.m.

Aggie Nation, Big R,

Allow the cougar fans some slack. There's been alot of trash thrown at them this year and payback has been sweet. So far the real trash throwers have'nt posted.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 14, 2010 2:57 p.m.

re: Uteology

How can you or anyone for that matter predict that BYU's days of producing a QB like Steve Young are over?

You tried to keep it civil and real for a while there, but your true RED is showing. Nice try.

• badlandscougar great plains, sd
    Nov. 14, 2010 1:04 p.m.

good job cougs, didn't doubt your ability as a team to play like you're capable. keep it up. utah still has a great team.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Nov. 14, 2010 12:25 p.m.

It was a nice weekend.

However, please note that UNM has played much better lately. If BYU takes this game for granted and comes out flat they could be in for a difficult day. Especially if there are a couple of turnovers.

Utah is a bit of a Jeckle and Hyde team. They still have a lot of talent. Whitt does not want a QB controversy. If he goes with Caine he probably has to use him the rest of the year.

BYU might be better off not facing a running QB at RES.

SDSU looks like they are for real.

Hopefully BYU can keep up the good work on defense and get more of the WR and the TEs up to speed. If that happens then BYU will be a very good team and hard for Utah to stop.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Nov. 14, 2010 11:41 a.m.

ok - here is my last "coulda, woulda, shoulda" -

Jake Heaps came early to campus and outplayed every other BYU QB during spring ball. He looked every bit the top rated QB. I understand giving everyone a fair shot but when taking spring, summer and fall into account I think it was clear Heaps outplayed his competition and should have been named the starter. The two-QB thing was a mistake and it caused both Heaps and the receivers to actually digress from summer and fall.

But kudos to the coaches and players for digging in and doing what was needed to recover and get to where they are now.

2011 is setting up to be a very nice team!

• TAGZZ SLC, Utah
    Nov. 14, 2010 10:57 a.m.

Congrats Cougars... My Utes played like crap and I am stuck scratching my head as to why Whittingham will not put Terrance Cain in... Last weeks loss was humiliating but this weeks is just heart breaking... Here is to a great game at the end of this month when we meet up as Conference Foes for one last time until we meet in different conferences... Utah Pac 12, BYU Independent!! It is amazing what can happen after you light some fire under your players aka the whole Defensive Coach firing... Great move on behalf of your team!!

Wynn looks like a lost little puppy, I was on the band wagon thinking he was the greatest but after the last 2 weeks I say give somebody else a shot... Jordan must have something against Coach Whitt that makes him keep him in the game because other than that we just look like garbage...

Once again Congratulations in turning your team around and I look forward to the great game at the end of this month...

From a Die Hard Ute Fan (TAGZZ)

• Tundra Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2010 10:46 a.m.

As happy as I was to see the Cougs clicking again like we've all been waiting for, I was really surprised (and saddened) to see the pathetic Ute showing at N.D. I was hoping last week was perhaps just a fluke that most good teams experience once in a while, but now... Imagine how the Ute players are feeling today.

My guess now after seeing how well the Aztecs have been performing lately is that they will also bypass the Utes on their way to the Poinsettia Bowl---who has been dying to host them there in their own home town. My impression is that the Cougar's "unexpected" victory over SDS was much more significant than any of us possibly realized.

All of which means the showdown between my two favorite teams in 2 weeks is now going to be anyone's guess--- and who would have ever thought that just 3 or 3 wks ago? What a dramatic way for these two fine programs to close out their participation in the pathetic M.W.C., as they both move on to much more exciting (and well-deserved) venues.

"Gotta Love It, Baby!"--- right, Hot Rod?

• dakuwaqa Snowflake, AK
    Nov. 14, 2010 9:07 a.m.

Enuf smack has already been poured on the Yewts today. Although memories of watching Johnny Lingo come to mind when her father catches Mahana up in the tree..."Mahana you ugly...shall I come up there and beat you with a stick!" The last two games,the utes have been whipped with the UGLY stick for sure.

If Heaps is playing this well now...what will Nelson's future be at QB next year????

• AggieNation Logan, Utah
    Nov. 14, 2010 8:52 a.m.

Gloating over the Ute's loss is hardly becoming of respectable Cougar fans. Especially when you beat a 2nd rate team.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Nov. 14, 2010 8:13 a.m.

@ OU812

It's called Great defense! Defense wins games!

• Big R La Palma, CA
    Nov. 14, 2010 8:10 a.m.

Wow, the poor sportsmanship that is exhibited here is amazing and yes I'm a BYU fan. I'm embarrassed by the gloating from people who are sitting in their lounge chairs eating chips and salsa watching the game. C'mon, let's all be better than that. Be happy BYU won, don't say anything about other teams and let's just hope that BYU takes care of business next week, becomes bowl eligible and then we have a great game in a couple of weeks. Stop the pettiness!

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 14, 2010 7:35 a.m.

Great game Cougars! Keep it rolling next week. For all those who are talking trash about the Utes, cool the jets-this is still the team who hung 65 on ISU and they are still 8-2. Had some nice comments from some usual Coug bashers.

Let's keep the focus on UNM. Win next week and the cougs are bowl bound, which comparing to other years is not much of an accomplishment, but after a 1-4 start would be huge.

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Nov. 14, 2010 6:51 a.m.

Congrats y'all

You won't be hearing from me again. I have been humbled.

Lamentations 3:28

"He sitteth alone and keepeth silence"

• OU812 Layton, UT
    Nov. 14, 2010 1:14 a.m.

Actually this win doesn't count for the Cougars, CSU had 5 turnovers. Sound Familiar?

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 11:00 p.m.

Ute Fans AKA Hedgeee and Chris etc...

One thing to think about when mentioning this was a win against a poor team...Just remember your ranking over the past couple months was built on that same team and others with weak scheduals..

Your team was over rated and I have said it all year that your time was about up...Guess what??? its up..welcome back.. Oh there is Basketball season now..Oh thats right good luck therre as well and lets put a timer on how long till you all want Jimmy B's head on a plater.

• BYU 26 Utah 23 Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 13, 2010 10:55 p.m.

A BYU win over New Mexico next week, coupled with a SDSU win over Utah, would mean BYU, SDSU and Utah could all be tied for 2nd in the MWC with 5-2 records heading into the final week of the regular season.

BYU could end up tied with SDSU for 2nd in the MWC; Utah could end up tied for 4th with AFA.

Who woulda thunk it!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 10:22 p.m.

Congrats Cougars on another great win to move another step closer to bowl eligibility.

Great game Jake! It's nice to see you finally starting to play like we knew you could.

15 of 20, 239 yds, 4 TD, 241.4 rating, in 3 quarters

Quite a contrast to that other quarterback on the hill.

22 of 37, 183 yds, 0 TD, 1 int, 95.6 rating, in 4 quarters

Last two games:

BYU 104-14
    Utah 10-75

November 27th has suddenly gotten very interesting for BYU fans and disturbingly scary for Utah fans.

• Cougarbaseball Rifle, CO
    Nov. 13, 2010 9:56 p.m.

Where are all those people (BYU fans and Ute fans) who couldn't say anything good about Coach Mendenhall several weeks ago?

I've learned that great coaches do not focus on results (wins). Instead they focus on the process (getting better each day). When the players follow this lead, progress is made and teams come much closer to realizing their full potential. This team (young and not as talented as recent teams) is starting to come much closer to their potential. Thanks for the great coaching Mendenhall. I just wish fans appreciated the kind of coach we have.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 13, 2010 9:12 p.m.

Heaps continues to impress with incredible throws. Even when he was struggling other coaches were singing his praises.

Great game Cougs, keep working hard. That's all we care about as fans is effort. Wins will come.

One word that describes BYU football...Bronco. Great work coach. Thanks for not giving up on the season.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 13, 2010 8:27 p.m.

TCU to Fiesta bowl to crush weak Big East champion. Utes lossing final three games hurts TCU strength of schedule and Boise moves back in front of Frogs. No chance of championship game for TCU.

BYU will win out and finish #2 in the conference (they get the tie breaker over SDSU by virtue of their win) and go back to Las Vegas one more time. Who would have thought they would finish 2nd after their weak start?

SDSU to Poinsetta bowl. Poinsetta has been dreaming of having SDSU.

AFA to Independence Bowl.

Armed Forces Bowl will take Army over MWC team, since they qualify.

Utes will lose final two games and go to New Mexico bowl. From National Championship chatter to New Mexico Bowl - ouch!

• Oklahoma Cougar Alpine, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 8:23 p.m.

Great job Cougars-absolutely love to see the both the offense and defense gelling at the same time. Finally a bit of chemistry on both sides of the line!

Hated to see Utah lose to ND today. Not sure why they stuck with Wynn all day with Cain sitting on the bench.

Any truth to the rumor that Brandon Doman did all the play-calling today?

• JustintimeY Boise, Id
    Nov. 13, 2010 7:51 p.m.

This will be one year that I will be happy to go the Vegas Bowl again. Here's hopeing for two more wins and a trip to Vegas.

• BYU_Greg South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 7:48 p.m.

Forgive me - Father Cougar - For I have sinned.

It has been 3 weeks since my last confession.

I am guilty of writing the Cougars off and thinking they would not win another game all season.

I have seen the light and ask for absolution for my folly.

I will watch some classic Cougar games and that Lavell Edwards thing on BYUTV as evidence of my complete contrition.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 7:33 p.m.

The game was almost too enjoyable to watch. Thanks for the show Jake, Luke and Company. Now focus on the Lobos.

• da bob Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 7:30 p.m.

WOW- Heaps had bullet throws all over the field. he really placed the ball on the dot today.
    Threaded coverage, great timing, not just checking down to the running back, actually went through progressions, stepped up in the pocket.

• Flame of the West The OC, CA
    Nov. 13, 2010 7:28 p.m.

Good job cougars!

• B Logan, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 6:34 p.m.

Oh Oh! Somebody learned how to play football!

• firestorm Lehi, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 6:33 p.m.

"Impressive, Most Impressive" -Darth Vader
    Great D Smokin hot O.
    Utees loose to SD next week.
    Then Loose to Coogs the week after and the Chokin Hot Red menace finishes BEHIND BYU in league standings. Can you say "Nobody gives a rip bowl!!!"

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 6:28 p.m.

Some classy comments on this article from Ute fans. It is great to see and really appreciated. I was just on the Utah article and there were alot of classless comments from Ute haters. Makes me embarrassed for all haters.
    BYU looked great today. Utes were dissappointing. It was like they were still reeling from last week. I think they will get it going by next week though.
    I am really looking forward to the 27th. Should be a great game. I am more afraid of Cain than Wynn but I think Wynn will bounce back and be a solid QB for the next 2 years.

• HIJrod Kaunakakai, Hi
    Nov. 13, 2010 6:27 p.m.

Utah Blue Devil, has it occurred to you that prior to today BYU was SDSU's only loss? They went into SD with the Aztecs being an astounding undefeated team! It was the 6th week of the season. How many games had the Aztecs played by then? Utah Blue Devil, you need to wake up to reality before you make silly comments like "beat a team with a winning record and then talk"....... What was ND's record prior to today? And? And next week the same team BYU beat will beat you! Then, the following Happy thanksgiving and Merry Christmas, BYU will crush your hopes of having a season to remember on the farewell Mediocre MWC tour! What bowl will want a former 8-0 gone 0-4 team to come to town?

• HIJrod Kaunakakai, Hi
    Nov. 13, 2010 6:22 p.m.

I foresee an amazing turn of events in Utah this college football season. Utah, you had many fans like me pulling for you to be in the BCS again this year. In August I predicted the cougars would start off 1-4. Sure enough they did! Then, things started to turn around for them. I never imagined it would come so full circle in such a short time. Up north of happy valley it seems like a reverse event is occuring. I foresee the once BCS bound Utes finishing the season with 4 straight losses! Tcu was a bitter disappointment. I was scoffing the national media. Notre Dame, when the season began looked like an easy victory. As well as SDSU played against the team that beat you last week gives me confidence that SDSU will be Utes 3rd loss. And, to finish the season and farewell to the game being more than bragging rights in Utah BYU will defeat the Utes! Thanks for coming Utes! Kyle, please never let me down again! When a BYU fan cheers you need to perform!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 6:10 p.m.

Nice game Cougars!

BYU is making some very positive strides and is turning into a competitive team within the conference, but lets not crown them national champions just yet. There is a lot of improvement to be made, and this team certainly has a lot of potential.

Thanks to the Ute fans who came on here for congratulations. I was honestly surprised to hear about the Notre Dame loss. But hey fellow Cougar fans lets not get cocky. We still don't have a winning record yet, and Utah is still 8-2. It is looking more and more like the rivalry game could be another epic, close matchup. Let's wait until next week. San Diego State looked pretty good against TCU today. It will be interesting to see how things go with Utah and SDSU next week.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 6:03 p.m.

2 Things we learned today.

ESPN is loving the contract with BYU.

PAC-12 wishes they could go back in time and invite a real team. Utah and CU in the Pac-12 oooooo what a scary addition.

Hey McFly? You busy? LOL

• SouthBendCoug Granger, IN
    Nov. 13, 2010 5:54 p.m.

I feel sorry for the Ute faithful that showed up today @ our stake center for a broadcast & then rushed off to see their team humiliated in the rain. Did the team really think they could just roll over the Irish? ND stadium is a tough place to get a win which the Cougs better remember when they come to play in 2012. The passing game is all about timing and rhythm, looks like Heaps & crew are coming into their own. It would be great to see the Cougs win out & set themselves up for the next year.

• AZ Dave Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 13, 2010 5:48 p.m.

Who said I was a Ute fan?

• fyre Aurora, CO
    Nov. 13, 2010 5:43 p.m.

I am amazed at the amount of comments about the Utes in this blog already... How about "Good job Cougars".

I wanted the Rams to win but you clearly outplayed them and are now close to bowl eligible. Which I never thought would happen this year when I watched you at Air Force.

• Old Cougar Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 5:32 p.m.

The "MO" brothers, "POS" and "NEG" are going to really play a big factor in "the" game in two weeks. If Utah falls to SDSU and BYU wins big against NM, the game at RES will prove to be very interesting.

My feelings are definitely with all players who work so hard. All of us have experienced the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Too bad that everyone cannot win all the time.

Congratulations, Cougars. Three more wins this season could mean an 8-5 year, against some very good opponents, much different than the dismal 1-4 record which started.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 5:00 p.m.

Looks like the youth is getting better - helpful that the opponents are weaker too, have to admit it. Most of those losses were to pretty good teams. I'd love to see a rematch with Utah State though, that one still has me shaking my head. THIS team for BYU would probably beat them. THAT Y team earlier didn't have its head screwed on straight. Too bad, but better late in the season than never.

Sorry to my Ute friends, the magic has worn off, but I think Utah still probably wins their last 2 + bowl game. But they need to wake up quick.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:54 p.m.

Mountanman | 4:29 p.m. Nov. 13, 2010
    Hayden, ID
    Jake Heaps looked awesome today! BYU football is back!

That's what I thought of Wynn and Utah football against the same cupcakes only for reality to hit me across the head over the last two games.

I think BYU is better today than it was at the start of the season. But the days when BYU football was producing greats like Steve Young are over.

• BYUBrasilFan Kearns, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:36 p.m.

Very impressed with Jake Heaps and the offense today! The defense is looking good still.

Where is hedgehog? Earlier this week Hedgehog praised Pete Thomas and said Heaps could not even compare. Hey hedgehog, what do you think now?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:34 p.m.

Chris B. and hedgehog, etal:

The silence is deafening!!!

Mr. Wynn had his nose buried in the turf, and Tommy Rees looked like a Heisman candidate. Your so called "top 10" team is nothing more than a below average unit.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:31 p.m.

Uteology That was a class comment. Nice to see a little sportsmanship on these comment boards

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:29 p.m.

Jake Heaps looked awesome today! BYU football is back!

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:23 p.m.

Go Cougars!

Player of the game is Ashworth! Talk about some amazing receptions!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:17 p.m.

It is a fine day.

BYU seems to have WRs who are catching the ball. The tight ends started to get involved. Strong performance by both the running and passing game.

Heaps is playing well and Anae has some flexibility in calling plays.

The Utes (I watched the game periodically) scored only 3 points on an independent 4-5 team with a true freshman QB. They scored 7 against TCU.

BYU's defense might be able to stop them with the right game plan.

At this point there is no reason to believe Utah is any better than last year. However, BYU is probably not yet better than last year.

BYU needs the TEs and the rest of the WRs to step up.

Beat NM, treat Utah like a bowl game and see where BYU goes for a bowl game.

Utah is looking very beatable but is still a dangerous team.

The Utah trolls are a laughable farce.

The Utah team is still a very decent but likely unranked team.

The BYU progress is heartening. They know how to win. Now it is a matter of execution and a few breaks.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:15 p.m.

I've never seen a BYU team with such a turn-around in the same season. They've really made leaps and bounds in a few short weeks.

I just don't get Utah. That should have been an easy win for them. ND is not good this year. That dilutes the quality of win for TCU last week and probably this week, thus diminishing their chances for NC game.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Utah and BYU starting to show their true colors. I'm almost thinking that BYU might be the better team come Thanksgiving weekend. Go Cougs!!

• Over the Top Rigby, ID
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:11 p.m.

What does BYU have in common with Notre Dame? Both were 4-5 going into their respective games today. And both got solid wins!! (What? A 4-5 team beat Utah????) I sure am looking forward to Nov. 27...but first NM.

• AZCoug Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 13, 2010 4:10 p.m.

Great game today Cougars! I thought Utah would lose a close game. Sad to see them play so poorly though. I still have respect for the Ute players and coaches. I am curious about the Ute fan reaction and predictions for the remainder of the season.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:52 p.m.

@AZ Dave.....the difference is we were supposed to lose to everyone else, don't you watch what your UTE compadres post? Utah on the other hand was supposed to win the 2010 NC. Two teams going in an opposite directions and if they don't get it together, they will continue next week. San Diego State is not going to just lay down and give it to them. Great game BYU, good to finally see the team starting to jell. Gives me a good feeling about next year.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:50 p.m.

My hats off to BYU, I thought you would win but didn't think you would beat them that bad.

Looked impressive again, today. Bronco has both sides of the ball in sync. Again congrats.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:46 p.m.

Stay on target boy's, learn from the past and build your future.

Utah is still rollin in self pity, they do not have short memories of last week, it has shown up here in Indiana.

"POLY Cougar Nation

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:45 p.m.

Another Double-Double...BYU wins and the Yewtes take a dive. Is it possible to have a third weekend of double-double happiness? I have picked SDSU to win by 2 points.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:41 p.m.

azdave said
    "Congratulation on your last 3 games. Their combine record of 6-24. Cream of the crop in the MWC "
    so you said cream of the crop.........problem is this is the same group that the utes beat or am i wrong in my thinking.....by the way ND 28 da utes 3 what excuse do you have for todays game wasnt ND a bad team that also beat Pit and playing with a freshman quarterback

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:37 p.m.

@AZ Dave
    Looks like your Utes are losing to a 4-5 ND team that got beaten by Tulsa last week... hahahaha crow taste good huh?

• BYU Student Provo, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Yeah, well at least we can see how the Utes got their record, eh? Now that they're playing real teams, it's getting embarrassing. 10 points over the last 2 games? Wow, impressive. Especially since Notre dame is such a powerhouse. Poor national championship-bound Utes. You're doing great! Ha ha ha!

Meanwhile, Heaps passer rating for today: 242. Beautiful throws. We had a couple mistakes, but boy did we pound those guys. Felt kinda bad. But awesome. And where did Ashworth come from?

I have a feeling Thanksgiving weekend is going to be a blast.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:22 p.m.

BYU is looking like Utah to start the season and Utah is looking like BYU to start the season. ND and CSU both have similar records and BYU destroyed their team on the road.

• AZ Dave Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:18 p.m.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:17 p.m.

You have to respect Bronco for not running up the score. Over a minute left and only 5 yards for a TD, yet he has the QB take a knee. Same thing last week. BYU could have scored far more if they wanted, and could have shut out UNLV and CSU, but didn't.

In his situation, having a team with a horrible start to the season, I probably would have run up the score just to show the nation that my team isn't as bad as the record indicates. Kudos to Bronco for being classy.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:15 p.m.

Feels like 1977... knocking out CSU and the U getting whooped.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:15 p.m.

To quote some of our Ute friends-

"Good luck Rams!

Even cupcakes sometimes get to play cupcakes.

Rams by 14!

Turnover Heaps will throw 2 picks and fumble once, pass for 70 yards and proclaim himself the frontrunner for the Heisman."

"Cougars have to win today in order to keep the bowl dreams opened. Question is, which bowl game are they worthy of, I don't recall a bowl game called "THE REFS HELP ME GET HERE" bowl.

CSU wins today, Heap points fingers at his Center!"

"I'm sorry cougars. There was too much gloating his last week and you're going to pay for it today. I hate to say it but I fear you are on the wrong side of the "pride cycle"...again. It's time to be humbled.

CSU 31 - BYU 16

...and it won't even be that close. "

Hmmmm.....not going to gloat, taking the high road.

Heaps played like a champ today, felt like I was watching Max and the boys playing last year.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:13 p.m.

Yawn..... the Y beat a team who has been blown out but just about everyone - a team that is truly bad. Big deal. When you can beat a team with a winning record then you might be able to say something.

Until then, sit back, enjoy the win for what it is... and see if you all can improve next year.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Nov. 13, 2010 3:07 p.m.

Heaps looked like a seasoned veteran in this game, he is starting to put it all together and I am excited about the future after the last two games.

• Balan West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2010 2:46 p.m.

A couple of weeks ago I commented here that the coaching staff had no confidence in Heaps and that they should consider redshirting him to give him an opportunity to mature.

My apologies to first, the coaching staff. They do know what they are doing. There is a very good reason why they are on the field on Saturdays and I am sitting in the stands. And two, to Jake Heaps who is going to just fine (great??) as a BYU quarterback.

I realize BYU still has a long, long way to go, but they appear to be well on their way.

Go Cougars!

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 2:38 p.m.

Another Great Day! The over-rated Utes getting BLOWN OUT again as the BYU Cougars blow out their opponent again -- wooohoow! Yep the Utes who are not a top 25 team and are getting another dose of reality. Pitt and AF should have beat them and now 2 loses in a row and 2 more to go. Yes indeed both SDSU and BYU will smack the bogus Utes as well. Enjoy the 8-0 start Utes because it will NEVER happen again! Utes will land in the middle of the PAC-12 for years to come. Provided TCU shakes off the early shock I predict BYU will finish 2nd in the MWC and go to another Vegas Bowl. Go Cougars and LOSE UTES!!!! Wooohoow!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Nov. 13, 2010 2:27 p.m.

Through 3 quarters, BYU has failed on a 3rd down conversion just once, but was able to pick up the conversion on 4th down to keep the drive going.

They have punted a total of ZERO times; with the only drives NOT resulting in touchdowns failing because of fumbles.

They've had just 2 penalties for 23 yards.

Last week, as a Cougar fan, I was rather optimistic after the pummeling of UNLV. But that optimism was tempered by the facts that A) they were playing at home; and B) it WAS UNLV. Now seeing them pummel CSU on the road makes me think that this team is FINALLY putting it together. They should beat New Mexico next week to become bowl eligible, and then we'll see what happens against the Utes.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 2:25 p.m.

Another banner day for football for Cougar fans!
    Cougars handling the Rams quite well at the half.

And as the scale tips in favor for BYU it sinks for the Utes. As I predicted the Irish are ahead at the half.

What's up Ute fans? This has got to be very disturbing to witness.

• Dave from Taylorsville Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2010 2:24 p.m.

BYU Cougars and Utah Utes. . . two programs going in different directions.

As much as the UNLV game boosted the Cougs, the TCU game took the spirit out of the Utes.

Heaps is coming into his own. They are mixing up the play calling and the young players are getting seasoned.