Sports

Utah Utes football: Kyle Whittingham apologizes to fans

Comments

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Nov. 9, 2010 11:18 a.m.

My only wish is that this loss would have banished hedgie, Chris B, Otis and Ernest as fast as it has NC Utes 2010. Man it's like that person never existed.

I don't have a problem with Coach Whitt, He is a quality coach. He just got beat by a way better team.

• dnsmith Salt Lake CIty, ut
    Nov. 8, 2010 2:01 a.m.

We could have had a fight against TCU had we shown up mentally.
    I saw heads down and feet dragging before half time.
    Thats something I never saw in 08
    Wynn struggled ok, pull him put in Cain get some momentum
    Let Wynn get his composure watching Cain be successful making the TCU account for his ability with his feet and making throws on the run. Then let him get back in and play the way we know he can.
    I also was dissapointed in the play calling.
    Absolutely no creativity.
    Where was the flea flicker? A reverse? Some kind of misdirection? A 4-2 fake punt. We were down and never took the initiative to rip the momentum back to our side.
    Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Anyway we have 3 more games to prepare for before the season is over.
    Take out the frustration on ND and make a statement out of them.
    Rrip them a new one and have the D shut them out.
    Repeat on SDSU and BYU

No matter what happens I will be a ute fan forever
    GO UTES!

• dnsmith Salt Lake CIty, ut
    Nov. 8, 2010 1:52 a.m.

When Whitt said they wouldnt be watching the airforce game film I knew we would be in big trouble.
    AF exposed our weak secondary that let big plays go like candy on Halloween. I guarantee TCU watched that film and were licking their chops. They burned us in the passing game on those same routes that AF did. Against AF we just got lucky our players pulled the ball out twice so we didn't pay for it
    No such luck against TCU.
    Infact we had nothing going for us at all that game. Our big playmakers all had their worst games of the season.
    We didn't even play our own game at all. When the passes were open we dropped them or threw bad passes that was all us and something we could have done better.
    Fans its never ok to BOO your own team. Thats what posers do.
    Humble pie force fed to us... Check
    Move one Learn and put this behind us.
    We beat all the same teams pretty much as bad as TCU did we just didn't take care of business when it really was on the line....

• h00plah Provo, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 11:58 p.m.

I am always get a little sad that Whitt didn't want to coach for the us at the Y. He's an awesome coach building a consistent program.

Chins up, Utes.

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 3:09 p.m.

@ HatedU

You calling Ute fans classless? You're on a Ute article to rub it in our faces! I guess you would know what classless is...

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 3:04 p.m.

I support our fantastic team win or lose.

• PJ Logan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 12:32 p.m.

I wanted Utah to win this game until Saturday morning and the Gameday crew started talking about Boise St. and U fans began the "overrated" chant. How stupid of you.

• Wild Blue Abilene, TX
    Nov. 7, 2010 11:15 a.m.

The grass isn't always greener. Top to bottom the the PWAC10 is only better than the MWC because of UNLV, UNM and WYO. (three rotate in and out of being pathetic) The top of the other conference is no better IN THE LEAST than the top of the MWC and really the middle isn't either. Please don't show me rankings lest I remind you of Utah's ranking last week.
    Utah will do extremely well in an extremely overrated conference next year.
    Honestly I was rooting for them in the back of my mind if not so the cougs could be the ones to expose them - and knock them out of a Natty Championship game. Oh well. I guess we'll have to wait our turn.

Bronco's the man.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 9:52 a.m.

The fans are the ones that should be apologizing.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Ultimately how the team peforms falls on Kyle. No need to apolgize in my mind though, it's football. Everyone has a bad day.

Are the Utes over-rated? Most definitely. Was it an embarrasing loss? Oooh how it was. Will Kwitt have his team ready to play next week? You bet!

As I said earlier in the week. If we lose this game, the Utes will congradulate TCU and bow out to let them take care of business and represent in the BCS. They are for real!

Go frogs and take to the BCS again!
    Go Utes and finish out the season strong! You can still take your frustration out on byu.

• Utiesrsocute Murray, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 9:22 a.m.

Hey ute fans, the buffet at the mgm is pretty good.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 7, 2010 9:02 a.m.

I wouldn't apologize to fans who boo college kids. I wasn't at this game, but it really saddens me because I used to be so proud to sit in RES among real Utah fans. Not only was our team exposed a bit, but the nation saw the worst of our fans and they really seemed like fans who didn't deserve a top 5 team. Came out in force, yes---but they booed their own COLLEGE players and specifically targeted Jordan Wynn. If this kid were to despise Utah fans for the rest of his life, I wouldn't blame him.

• Y4LYFE Provo, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 8:53 a.m.

Vegas would select BYU over utah, that'd be funny to see that happen again.

• Y4LYFE Provo, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 8:51 a.m.

He doesn't need to apologize about the embarrassing home loss while being more concerned about using other schools traditions. He should be more concerned about BYU playing better at tcu and that now they have REAL competition coming up.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 8:37 a.m.

Kyle Whittingham is a stud. Jordan Wynn is mediocre and the team has played a bunch of cupcakes. They were exposed plain and simple to be imposters of a top 5 team. They should fall to the 15-20 range, but even that won't last.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 8:28 a.m.

Kyle is great! He ranks with all the high-class coaches there have ever been. But his team this year built an eight-one record on a house of cards in a desperate attempt to get to the BCS another time before leaving home to go live in the cold, hard world. Obviously the team is far from being the one that beat Alabama in 2008.

Coach said the game wasn't as close as the score would make it appear. Well, the 8-1 season record so far makes the team look twice as good as it is. Going to the PAC-12 will make the Utes long for the "good old days," and the "automatic-qualifier" status won't seem nearly so sweet.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 7:47 a.m.

Coach Whit is a class act. TCU is just a better team than everyone expected. Rather than criticize the utes, hats off to TCU and Gary Patterson.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 7:27 a.m.

Could this be a taste of things to come when the Mights Utes change to the Conference of Champions? To all the ute-trolls out there, what happened to a huge win and on to the National Championship? I guess it will remain in the National Championship win column BYU =1 and Utah = 0.

Good luck with trying to get there while in the Conference of Champions. NOT!

Where have all the Ute-trolls gone? Gone to hide under rocks. I predict that there won't be too many of them at work this whole next week. They will be in their parents basements crying in their pillows and not wanting to face the world.

• NewMexicoUte Albuquerque, NM
    Nov. 7, 2010 7:14 a.m.

HatedU, TJ is right, you are not better than they are. As the saying goes, "hate breeds hate..." Be the difference maker from other bad Utah fans and don't kick the dog when he is down, that would make you a much better BYU fan who I would respect than a bad Utah fan!

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Nov. 7, 2010 7:10 a.m.

I really like Coach Whitt and wish him the best. Utah is lucky to have him and better do whatever it takes to keep him. Besides, he's a Y alum.

• Kameron South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 6:52 a.m.

Fix it Kyle. End it strong. That was embarassing to team, university, the fans and Pac 10. You did not have the guys prepared 2 weeks in a row.

• poopsydoodle South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 6:42 a.m.

Any team would be ecstatic to go 11-1 (yes we will win out). I am a UTAH fan and will cheer them on through thick and thin. The uniforms and the support of the Wounded Warrior Project is awesome. Put this game behind you and take care of business the rest of the season. All the pressure is off.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 7, 2010 6:27 a.m.

I am no Ute fan, but what does Kyle have to apologize about. The man is an excellent coach. How many times of our Cougs been on both sides of a "rolling game". Some days, just nothing goes right. I just hope TCU gets its chance to play for the National Title. I think they are "that good."

• Jrifkin48 Fayetteville, NC
    Nov. 7, 2010 5:54 a.m.

No surprise of the blowout. Utah's #5 ranking was very generous and the TCU blowout discredits the program...much like BYU's #7 ranking last year before the FSU loss. However it looks like the BYU vs Utah game this year is going to be competitive after all! And Whittingham is a great coach and I don't think the U has enough money to hold him with programs like Tennessee lurking. Heck, BYU ought to demote Mendenhall to DC and hire Whittingham as HC.

• KC UTE Aurora, IL
    Nov. 7, 2010 5:47 a.m.

Y fans are going to come out in force because misery loves company and they are having a miserable season. Ya, Utah got rocked yesterday by a great TCU team. But I'll take 8-1 with the 1 loss to the 3rd ranked team in the country than 4-5 record right now. BYU will be 6-6 at best and sitting home during the holidays watching the U extend their bowl game win streak. Whittingham is a great coach and we'll support you all the way!!!

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 4:42 a.m.

Even BYU (with the horrible year they've had) only allowed TCU to post 31 points on them.. and it was an away game. What gives Utes? You lead us to believe that you were better than this.

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    Nov. 7, 2010 4:21 a.m.

Tough loss.

I've got to say that I really dislike it when fans boo their own team like that. This kids don't get paid to play. They want the win at least as much as any fan in the stands. They are giving everything they have out there and then they get booed?

Haven't been to any BYU games this year, but I hope that no one is booing them.

I look forward to the annual rivalry game.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Nov. 7, 2010 4:18 a.m.

Tough loss to a seemingly great TCU team. I hope that a road win against a strong Utah team will generate a few more first place votes.

As a BIG BYU fan I have been impressed with Utah's season and this loss is a setback, but a victory next week against Notre Dame and then another against San Diego State will setup a final MWC loss to BYU.

Here's my future dream for the breakup of BCS and a national cry for playoffs. Utah wins the PAC-12 finishing the season with one loss and playing in the Rose Bowl. Boise State winning the MWC undefeated and playing in the Fiesta Bowl. TCU going undefeated and playing for the national championship angainst an undefeated indepedent BYU and of course BYU winning 57-0.

That should get everybody's attention.

It's just mindgames.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 2:36 a.m.

HatedU
    You called Ute fans classless in the middle of that post? You are no better than they are. Most Ute fans have class. There are a few who post on these articles that are on your level.
    Whittingham is a class act and I would love to see him at BYU again someday. Bronco doesn't want to coach another 19 years and I hope he gets the AD job and goes after Whitt. I doubt they would get him because Utah knows what they have and Whitt loves it there.
    Grow up

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 1:02 a.m.

Yes sammy g is enjoying rubbing in the loss, but I also see two positive and very classy comments from byu fans about utah, even after this embarassing loss.

I wonder how the comments will play out next time byu loses and utah wins?

• HatedU springville, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 1:08 a.m.

Wow did these ute players go out and make the state of utah look sooooo bad.

Kyle is a great coach.
    Wynn is average at best.
    Booing ute fans are really just Y haters.
    What a bunch of classless fans the U has.

Watching their faces on TV was sooo great.
    How does that one taste ute fans???

• Gdot-aka-whitelightning Roberts Ranch, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 12:29 a.m.

I would apologize too. That was embarrassing. Made Utah football look ridiculous.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 12:14 a.m.

Coach Whittingham,

You have nothing to apologize for. Your schedule is what it is, and you haven't been challenged yet. but Utah is a good team. Just not a #5 team.

You have outcoached many coaches, but sometimes the players have to do what they can within the limits of their own physical abilities.

You made good decisions today.

==The good days, they come around, but they never seem to last. Then the bad days... They come around, and kick the good days, right to the curb.

Keep it up coach. You have built a respected program. This memory will fade.

Thanks for all the good memories that are there.

Your efforts are appreciated.

Signed,
    A Sportsfan

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 12:05 a.m.

TCU was amazing. Sorry Utes. Pick up the pieces, watch the game films and figure it out. Then come out next time and get back on that winning streak. Some days all the parts just don't fit together right, and apparently today was one of them.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 7, 2010 12:04 a.m.

Kyle Whittingham is a class act and a great coach. He owns up when there is a problem and makes the needed corrections. When he played for the Y, he was the leader of the defense and a big reason we had so much success. Utah is very, very lucky to have him.

• ATL_UTE Atlanta, GA
    Nov. 6, 2010 11:59 p.m.

Whatever we do from here on, Beat that TDS!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 6, 2010 11:43 p.m.

That's sad and that picture is even worse.

What was to be the 'greatest moment in Utah football history' is now the biggest goose egg.

Wow, who ever said 'the bigger they are (in their minds), the harder they fall' was right. Hype is one thing but this baby was whipped to a frenzy and this cake just fell flat in the oven.

Last week was a word of warning and this week we see the reality. Next year ain't going be to any better.

Well for sure better quality teams will not hurt the Utes next year but the reality is that it won't be a 'cupcake' walk either. Curb that enthusiasm or rather the hype, it can blow up on you and make a real mess, like today.

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Nov. 6, 2010 11:33 p.m.

We're with the Utes in good times and tough times. A new win streak begins next week!

• kreese Taft, CA
    Nov. 6, 2010 11:32 p.m.

Some days, things don't go well. TCU looks to be a very good team. Whittingham is a good coach.