Sports

Choose your game: State's fans blessed with sports choices

Comments

• Ute Fan In Utah West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 8, 2010 2:48 p.m.

Utah would be perfect if we had NFL and MLB. I'd support new Utah teams if we got them, but I already have my favs.

• carpediem Holladay, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 9:27 p.m.

I guarantee Utah could support an MLB or NFL team contrary to what many people believe.

• iRSLfan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2010 2:45 p.m.

wookie and higv
    I'm having trouble believing you even read the article. there are 5 MLS teams that out attendance their NBA teams. RSL in their last 3 games averaged over 20,000 fans that's more than ESL even holds. It's pretty evident how much soccer is growing. Just a couple years ago my neighbors would try to tell me how stupid soccer was now they are season ticket holders along with my 3 other neighbors in the circle we live in. Soccer will pass Basketball and Baseball in popularity in the USA. If you look at last seasons NBA finals TV ratings and compare it to the world cup TV ratings you will see what I'm talking about. 3 USA games had more viewers than any NBA finals game. The world cup final(spain vs netherlands) had higher ratings than any of the NBA finals games. Also you are seeing improved MLS tv ratings on ESPN and more MLS highlights on Sportscenter than ever before. It's only a matter of time.

• hedgelog Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 6, 2010 6:33 p.m.

Glad I chose to listen to u get pounded and rolled. Good thing for u it wasn't on real tv.

Get used to it, you will set whipped like this several time next year, starting with usc!

• Nussdorfer AC Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 6, 2010 9:22 a.m.

If the football games conflicted, I would still attend the RSL game. As they don't, I can watch all of them.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 6, 2010 8:17 a.m.

Anyone who's paying attention realizes that you can go to both the Utes and the RSL game (like I am).

• TheWorldAccordingToMe holladay, ut
    Nov. 6, 2010 7:49 a.m.

Was this article written by RSL's media relations office? It's entirely possible for the woman in the article to do both the football game and the soccer game, as there will be about three hours in between.

And while it's way off the radar tonight, I know people doing the BYU/RSL or BYU/Jazz doubleheader.

I'll be doing the Utes/Jazz doubleheader while getting text messages from the RSL game.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Nov. 6, 2010 7:34 a.m.

I had a teacher that thought Soccer was the greatest sport invented. Our local High School even had Soccer and not football. Small school. Enrollment went up and eight man football came back. Soccer is very popular as a player sport for young people. In this country however I don't think it will be a popular spectator sport. I enjoy playing it. Not too in to watching it though. Maybe American Culture.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Nov. 6, 2010 5:31 a.m.

What about the NFL, NHL, MLB, Tennis, Golf.

There are no major sports for those that like most of the other sports. (there are some good senior PGA events in Utah, but thats it for golf)

There are some great winter sports, but Utah is very devoid of options as fans for sports.

And the MLS team, although one of the elite team in the league, doesnt have a lot of support from fans. So I guess the Utah citizenry shouldnt be upset there arent more sports options - and also shouldnt be tricked into thinking that their state offers a good option for professional sports.

• three11stu Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 6, 2010 2:12 a.m.

I will be at the RSL game tonight. Can't wait. I wish that I had tickets to the Utah vs TCU game, but we will be watching that from home, and then heading to the RioT to see RSL into the Conference Final