Sports

Utah Utes football: Jordan Wynn eager for another crack at TCU

Comments

• RunningUtes Lehi, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2010 4:36 p.m.

pretty sad that TCU fans are making fun of Utahs schedual... oregon st = pitt / iowa st almost = baylor. other then those 2 games, both teams have played creampuffs... dont go fooling yourselves TCU fans, cuz youre on the same lvl of SOS wether you want to believe it or not.

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 2:21 p.m.

How about if the Utes win? All the Coug's stay off the Ute blogs until the end of the season! Then you can come back and get a good pre-game roasting from all us Ute fans! And then after the rout the Utes put on the Coug's you can all prep for hoops, where you have the upper hand.

• QD Murray, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 12:28 p.m.

I came on and thought I would comment and say good luck Utes from an avid BYU Fan. Instead I read the comments and got irratated at stupid Ute fans and embarrassed by stupid BYU fans. Grow up and recognize the accomplishments of both programs.

That being said..... Good Luck Utes.

• TJ2407 Springville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 12:21 p.m.

How is Jordan Wynn 0-2 vs ranked teams when Pitt was ranked when he beat them? Wouldn't that be a win vs a ranked team? Also if utah keeps beating up on patsies and they beat Air Force then that makes AFA a patsy and didn't they beat up the Y pretty good this year? And Wynn was a true freshman last year when he lost to the Y so when Heaps loses this year don't use that excuse as say he is young. Utah was in that position last year. I can't wait for this game against TCU. It will be a great game. And there is no way the Y should even be in the game at RES but since it is a rivalry game it should end up being a pretty decent game. Hopefully it is not since the U needs style points and a big win would be great.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 11:49 a.m.

So much garbage being spewed by those with no class on both sides of the fence. I wish someone would tell me where they got their crystal ball so I could know what was going to happen each week. But wait; no one seems to have one that works. I could probably just use my fishbowl. The no class crews were wrong about BYUs games with Miami and Oklahoma etc. etc. and they were wrong about Utahs games with Pittsburgh and Alabama etc. etc. My prediction(because I don't know for sure) is that TCU will win this Saturday. Both teams are very similar to what they were last year. I think it will be closer than last year because it is in SLC but I predict TCU 35, Utah 24. I would not be surprised to see Wynn struggle against this defense which is much better than anything they have seen this year. TCU's offenxe is substantially better than any seen by the Utes this year also. I will be pulling for the Utes but they will be fortunate to win.

• bigdaddy Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 11:30 a.m.

@Utefan
    "No....Ybu did not WIN a National Championship in 1984, they were VOTED the National Champion...there is a big difference."

Silly bitter Yewtfan. You have to resort to arguing semantics because you have no leg to stand on. I don't know if it occurred to you, but the polls that factor into the BCS rankings are all determined by VOTING. Whatever team ends up #1 in the final BCS polls gets there because of VOTING, and rarely does the top 2 teams play in the BCS title game (I'm not talking top 2 in rankings but rather actual talent and ability. USC got passed over in favor of Big 10 and SEC teams several times in the past decade but would have killed either one except the voting kept them out).

Wow. It really does bother you that in spite of all your very recent success with BCS bowl games, BYU still leads you in the uber-important category of National Championships. BYU 1, Utah 0.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 10:48 a.m.

@NC UTES 2010
    As will I when your guaranteed predictions flame out.
    Just making my predictions known just like all you Utesies do on EVERY BYU article. So we'll see.

• bigdaddy Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 10:33 a.m.

It will be interesting to see if Utah's strategy of scheduling a bunch of cupcakes will hurt them or haunt them in this game.

On the one hand, because they've played a bunch of patsies they're pretty well rested and have few injuries to deal with.

On the other hand, the cupcakes week after week haven't put up much of a challenge and so all of a sudden being thrown into the Lion's den vs. the #1 defense in America they may not be ready again. This happened to them last year when Utah played a cupcake schedule leading into the TCU game and the BYU game. Utah wasn't ready to compete on that level. They can't always rely on lucky breaks to fall their way (like in 2008).

• Beef_Sister Provo, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 10:24 a.m.

Jordan Wynn is a class act on and off the field. One of the highest ranked quarterbacks in the nation right now and he has only played in 8 games. Impressive.

I love to read about great football players when you find out that they are great human beings also and that they have their priorites straight. Jordan Wynn knows that the real heroes in life are not found on the football field, but in what they do off the field and how they live their life.

Thanks Jordan, for being a great example to our youth.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 10:19 a.m.

@ sammyg

What TCU team did you watch last year? This year's team is very good but their defense isn't as fast as it was last year. And, I can't believe I'm about to resort to the byu fan's favorite argument, but who have they played? You'll say Oregon state or Air Force, but their records are just as bad as Pitt's or Iowa State's!

On paper, TCU has the best defense in the nation, but Utah is going to bring an offensive attack that TCU hasn't had to stop because, plain and simple, no team that they've played this year has had the offensive talent and power that Utah has.

This is going to be a great game. GO UTES!!!

... and UNLV

• I Bleed Blue (Boise Blue) Twin Falls, ID
    Nov. 4, 2010 10:19 a.m.

This will be a fun game to watch. I would love to see the Utes play Boise in a BCS Bowl this year. Gotta love Jordan Wynn. Top ten quarterback as a sophomore. SportsCenter was talking about the best non-BCS quarterbacks this morning and they had:

Kellen Moore (Boise) as number 1

Jordan Wynn (Utah) as number2

Andrew Dalton (TCU) as number 3

Collin Kaepernick (Nevada) as number 4

Zach Collaros (Cinnicinati) as number 5

I would love to see Utah and Boise meet in a BCS Bowl. Jordan Wynn vs. Kellen Moore would be a really fun game to watch. Good luck Utah.

Go Boise!!

• NC UTES 2010 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 10:01 a.m.

Yankee Doodle,

I'm going to remind you about your wrong prediction EVERY TIME YOU POST from here on out.

Utah 34
    tcu 17(if they're lucky)

I think Whit will pull out a trick play or two to catch them off guard, the defense will create 2-3 turnovers, and the Utes will roll to a relatively easy victory compared to what people think

Mark that down Yankeed doodle.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 9:43 a.m.

What has Wynnie done against real opponents? Is he still the #6 ranked QB in the nation there Ernest T. Bass?
    He's 0-2 against ranked teams. yeah he can beat the patsies. We'll see how great he is this saturday.

Hey NC UTES 2010 Mark this down. I guarantee the Utesies lose by multiple TD's this saturday and are nowhere to be found come NC time!! Booo yahhhh.

Hey hedgie, what NFL team does Brian Johnson play for? I also guarantee to the millionth degree that Wynnie will NEVER take a snap as QB in the NFL.

Well said Sportsfan, well said.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 8:53 a.m.

Note to Jordan Wynn: Pam from "The Office" called. She wants you home by 6 p.m.

If Wynn had wings, he could be Jim Halpert.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 8:52 a.m.

"It was a fluke that the leading contenders all lost and the COUGARS won by default."

Isn't that exactly what Utah is hoping for this year -- that Oregon and Auburn and Alabama and Oklahoma and Ohio State and Nebraska will all finish with two losses so that Utah can sneak into the Bogus Championship Series title game?

Ask any of the math gurus who run the computer rankings -- any system that doesn't take into account scoring margin is FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED.

You just don't get it. The system is rigged to prevent the non-AQ teams from ever playing in the championship game.

The system for deciding a national champion today is the same as it was 30 years ago, except for adding flawed computer rankings to determine half of the championship.

Until we have a true playoff, NOBODY will ever WIN a major college football national championship. It's still decided by voters and flawed computer formulas.

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 8:48 a.m.

Why has an article on Wynn become a BYU bashing? For this purpose{Ute fans with no respect for anything but Ute sports), do I no longer root for the U. My job puts me in face to face contact with hundreds of people each day and MORE than many feel the same way I do. To come on line and attack a seventeen year old kid is below no class.

• NORCALUTE MoTown, CA
    Nov. 4, 2010 8:38 a.m.

Can't wait for the game Saturday...it will be tough, but the Ute's will prevail and will show the nation how deep and serious this Ute organization really is; the win on Saturday will have an colossal effect on NCAA football for years to come...Utah is that good. There will be no more talk about respect because Our Ute's will have earned it...like all great leaders.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 8:26 a.m.

Don't worry Cougar fans. After Utah beats TCU and is set to play in the Rose Bowl, we'll once again accept BYU fans putting on Utah gear and traveling to another Utah BCS game.

We didn't hold that against you in 2004 or 2008, and will not in 2010. We all know this is the only way BYU fans will ever experience a BCS bowl game.

• Tequila Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 8:23 a.m.

It's payback time for Jordan and the Utes. Just pick up where you left off last year after the first half last year and you'll be fine. Go Utes....Go hard and embarass them.

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    Nov. 4, 2010 6:57 a.m.

Real National Championships:

BYU - 0
    Utah - 0
    Alabama - 0
    Florida - 0
    Notre Dame - 0
    USC - 0

Can't have a "real" national champion without a playoff. As a Y fan, I enjoyed '84, but even then I knew it was akin to a figure-skating competition where the other competitors all bit it trying a triple-axle and BYU stayed vertical.

There exists no logical reason the Utes weren't as worthy as USC in '04 or Florida in '08, but it doesn't matter, does it? If I was an athletic director and my team finished undefeated, I'd be printing up "National Champ" t-shirts and banners, ordering rings and trophies, and holding a parade. It's all illusory anyway. It's a pageant. BCS doublespeak and fatally-flawed "surveys" supporting its unsupportable position are an unfunny joke.

I hope our feisty little brother up narth takes out TCU, but even if they run the table they won't be a "real" national champion any more than Colorado State will be. Begging for votes just shouldn't be part of an championship equation . . or at least should be a very minor part.

• TJ2407 Springville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 5:37 a.m.

NC UTES 2010. I would not be suprised to find 2 one loss teams ahead of Utah at the end of the season. They have done it before and will do it again. They actually put a 1 loss and a 2 loss team in the national championship game ahead of an undefeated non aq team. Don't be suprised. I do not think and non aq team will ever win the BCS championship and that is because why would the BCS give the BCS championship to a non BCS school? They wouldn't. I am cheering for the Utes all the way and I am stoked for this game but I am not expecting a national championship until Utah is a BCS school

• Utefan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 4:23 a.m.

No....Ybu did not WIN a National Championship in 1984, they were VOTED the National Champion...there is a big difference. The mediocre 1984 team barely beats a 6-6 Michigan team...under the currant BCS regulations neither team would have played for the National Championship. It was a fluke that the leading contenders all lost and the Y-ners won by default.

Their National Championship is mythical at best and really a pathetic commentary on the state of D1 football in 1984. My bet is that either the 2004 or 2008 Ute teams would CRUSH that 1984 team.

That said...GOOOOOOOOOO, UTES!!!

• Brettski2024 Concord, CA
    Nov. 4, 2010 12:49 a.m.

Lets get things straight, the biggest win in history was vs Alabama.. this game is huge though

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:09 p.m.

utefan56

"looking at these posts I wonder if BYU fans will ever stop bringing up the same worn out comments...."

Obviously you didn't look at the very first post or you would have noticed that it was a Utah fan who started the conversation by taking the same kind of backhanded slap at BYU's national championship that we've heard from Utah fans a million times.

As long as Utah fans continue trying to minimize BYU's significant accomplishments, BYU fans will continue showing just how weak those arguements are.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:40 p.m.

Congrats, Jordan Wynn. Do use proud on Saturday. ESPN and Rivals both have you ranked as one of the top ten quarterbacks in the nation. Great job this season! Go Utes!

• meet me in the MUSS Sandy, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:52 p.m.

Everyone hating on the Utes: This IS a scary game. BUT the Utes have surprised me in so many situations, that I can't help but be optimistic. I am moving up band practice from Sunday to Friday because I will for sure lose my voice on Saturday night in the MUSS. Go Utes!! I know you can do it, show everyone how good you can be!

• utefan56 st george, utah
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:38 p.m.

snoops......looking at these posts I wonder if Byu fans will ever stop bringing up the same worn out comments....yes, we all know your team won the NC in '84....and for the 1000th time....congrats!
    so ....Maybe its time to stop dredging up what the cougars did a quarter century ago ....and talk about what they have done lately...like this year, which unfortunately isn't much.My hunch is you should brace yourself for a lack luster ending to they're season....No they probably won't go to a bowl game....And no they won't beat Utah at RES...you would have to be the village idiot to think otherwise....as for heaps...he better hurry up ....cuz his performance is gonna find him a seat on the bench...according to AP article...released today....sorry to burst your bubble !!.....GO UTES!!!!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:29 p.m.

Reality will set in. There has been just two decent teams on the schedule and the utes were lucky to win those. It's unbelieveable how fans see a national championship after victories over teams like San Jose State, UNLV, and New Mexico. TCU is better than decent. I'd hold my applause and predictions till Saturday.

TCU 38
    utes 13

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 6:47 p.m.

Real National Championships
    BYU 1
    Utah 0

How many BCS wins does it take to win a national championship?

How many national champions haven't finished higher than #2 in any of the polls?

What are the chances of NC UTES 2010's prediction coming true?

After Saturday, the answer to all three questions will be the same.

Heaps will be an All American by the time he finishes his career at BYU.

Wynn will finish as another above average quarterback at the U.

Mark it down!

• Archie O\'Fallon, MO
    Nov. 3, 2010 6:41 p.m.

Great story about a great kid. So glad he chose the Utes. Talented team + talented coaching staff = a top five team.

Go get'em Jordan...GO UTES!!!!!!!!

• Grandmother Toni carlsbad, calif
    Nov. 3, 2010 4:53 p.m.

He looks just like his great grandfather!

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 4:49 p.m.

Bottom Line...Wynn will be entitled to another learning experience this Saturday.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Nov. 3, 2010 3:52 p.m.

Great story on how a QB learns and gets better game after game.

A much different story would need to be written about heaps.

If heaps was on a NFL team, he would have been cut by now.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 3:50 p.m.

Wynn is a nice kid and good QB.
    He will lead Utes to the greatest victory in Utah's football history.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 3:32 p.m.

"It's going to be a lot of fun Saturday."

You betcha! This is a better TCU team than last year and they are going to show you what Texas football is like in RES.

Everything is BIGGER and BETTER in Texas. Just ask them. So just expect a bigger and more physical beat down than last year and relish the last moments of your inflated ranking.

TCU by 14

• NC UTES 2010 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 3:19 p.m.

I stick by my prediction WEEK ONE that the 2010 national champ will be the University of Utah.

I think Auburn and Oregon will each lose one game. We'll jump Boise after this weekend.

Sure - the BCS will want to put a 1 loss team ahead of Utah - but they won't put 2.

Utah 34