U.S. & World

Dems save Senate majority, Reid; GOP grabs 6 seats

Comments

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 6, 2010 6:10 a.m.

Wildcat... why don't you do a search on "Election polls under scrutiny after missing mark" and read the piece by the Las Vegas Sun. It really isn't the mystery it seemed as this same firm who did the quoted poll has been equally wrong in the past.

Voter Fraud? Perhaps it is just bad press printing a story they knew would sell even though they knew their source was likely of poor quality. But I am sure it doesn't fit the narrative you have decided to believe.

Wow, and on the second statement about Boxer, I guess the same could be said for Florida with its huge Cuban population that largely vote conservative. How many of them are "legal". Or how about New Mexico which just elected a Republican ( a Hispanic woman no less ) to lead their state. Both of these states have large hispanic populations, and yet state wide votes went Republican.

I guess what you are saying is if a Democrat wins, something shady happened. If a Republican wins under similar circumstances, it is the voice of the people that has been heard.

Um, ok.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Nov. 4, 2010 4:05 p.m.

Pagan would have voted for Reid instead of Angle?

Gee, what a shocker....

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Nov. 4, 2010 3:55 p.m.

2 questions:

1 - How did Reid go from being down by about 4 points in virtually every major poll in the week right before the election to winning by about 5 points?

Voter fraud, anyone?

2 - Boxer won but would she have if illegal aliens were not allowed to vote? Libs will say that every vote was from a legal resident but given California's MASSIVE illegal alien problem and the ease in which MILLIONS of them can falsely obtain social security numbers, my question is, were they really all legal?

• Wildcat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:16 p.m.

LDS Liberal and happymormondem, thank you for restoring my faith in humanity! There is hope in Utah. It can sometimes get rough out there when all you hear is union bashing and the world according to Palin and Fox News talking points. The unregulated free market, thanks to the insidious greed of some very powerful CEOs, almost brings the world economy to destruction, and yet the government and unions are to blame?

Without the government intervening, the conditions could be 20% or more unemployment, a dead auto industry, etc. I have been on a private health plan and government health plan and there is no comparison. The government is the people and not the problem. It is there everyday making this the best country on earth (DoD, FDA, Center for Disease Control, etc). If goverment can't do anything right, why was the private industry scared about having to compete with a government option? I trust in our society, in our goodness, which is why I trust government.

No one ever should be esteemed as less of a Mormon for their political beliefs. Stand strong--the LDS religion needs great people like you to espouse the values it believes in!

• happymormondem Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:50 p.m.

At least someone got it right last night. Congratulations, Senator Reid! As for those of you calling the people of Nevada stupid-real classy.

I don't get the union hate. People aren't allowed to get help from the government or for that matter band together to work for their rights as employees either. It's every man for himself I guess.

Wildcat, I'm with you. Huntsman is a Republican I could actually get behind. Too bad he stuck us all with Governor Herbert.

Just remember, you too may have some good people in your ward who just happen to lean left.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 5:48 p.m.

These vial negative comments toward Senator Reid just makes me question the validity of our placards posted in front of all our places of worship saying:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ~ Visitors Welcome"

When not even good, faithful members are NOT welcome......

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 5:39 p.m.

@ The Real Maverick

I have clearly stated my issue with Reid, and any Democrat for that matter, is support for Unions. We also hate that he's just another drone for Obama. We don't love their love for big government, and we hate their ideas of the welfare state.

And, when talking about his being LDS, he's come out and directly criticized the church leaders. How's that for "sustaining" your leaders?

Sadly, I'm sure those members who love Harry Reid would also criticize the church for its involvement in prop 8. Guess it's time for people like Reid to look in the mirror.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 5:00 p.m.

God Bless you Senator (Brother) Reid!!!!

• Wildcat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 4:16 p.m.

Way to go Harry! Most powerful LDS politician! I hope Mittens doesn't run. Here's hoping Huntsman runs. He's basically a Democrat but had to run as a Republican in Utah for obvious reasons which can be observed by the mindless diatribe on these postings.

If an LDS POTUS is ever going to happen, it will be on the Democratic side where they open and tolerant of all religions. It will never happen on the Republican side, and everyone including the red meat conservatives on this comment board knows it. Harry Reid for President in 2016! :-)

• Idaho guy Meridian, ID
    Nov. 3, 2010 4:11 p.m.

Despite Harry and Barbara winning, the clear indication from the election was that business as usual was being rejected across the country. Incumbents new and old were being tossed out from both parties (plenty of Republican incumbents were sacked in the primaries) by voters because the truthful fact is America is tired of politicians. They want someone in office who will not follow a party line to the detriment of the American people and someone who will not continue to increase taxes, increase spending, increase handouts, refuse to control the borders and on and on. The referendum was truly against both parties in the hopes of installing people in who would follow the will of the majority of America. The only way for that to be effective was to have a majority of conservatives win (which is Republican leaning) to avoid majority rule by Dems who already proved they don't care about America's will. Republicans have yet to show they care either (outside of election cycles), so the lesson to take is they had better step in line, or they individually will be replaced next cycle. The blame goes around, now start doing the right thing!

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:52 p.m.

Republicans always seem to bag on Reid. Yet, they never ever ever go into specifics for why they have such hatred for him.

Now's your chance!

Why?

What has Reid done? And please, refrain from the normal AM radio catchphrases like, "He's a socialist" nonsense.

I'm calling you guys out. Don't disappoint me. Explain, why should Reid have lost? and why did his challenger deserve to be elected. Anyone that can explain this to me will receive a cookie.

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:47 p.m.

If you look at the county by county voting, Harry won Clark County (Las Vegas) by ~60,000 votes. The rest of the state (minus two small

• wild horses Twin Falls, ID
    Nov. 3, 2010 1:09 p.m.

I would say there was some fraud going on with Harry Reid being voted in.
    Think about this one!
    I just betcha this will come out.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 1:05 p.m.

At least we will be able to hold the Republicans accountable for the damage they will cause during the next two years (we've seen them at it before, an they put the economy down the toilet). It will then be time to vote them out and put someone in who can clean up the mess they again caused.

History repeats itself. We paid the price one for Republican excess; it looks like we're going to pay it again.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:56 p.m.

re: Joe Blow

You are correct sir. MSNBC had 3 different Republican Congresspeople on last night and asked each of them point blank what government spending they would cut. Not 1 said they would touch Medicare, Social Security, Education, Defense, etc., or had a specific item they could think of to cut. Basically, they have no idea, but it sounds good to talk about cutting spending.

Campaigns are much easier to run than actually governing. Obama found this out when in his first face-to-face meeting with Behner, Behner instructed his fellow Republicans that they will vote NO on everything the President puts forward. Now Republicans who took the largest yearly surplus in history from Clinton, turned it into huge debt due to government spending on Prescription Drugs and 2 Wars, and cut taxes to win political points, won elections telling Americans they are against exactly what they did during the Bush era.

Good luck guys.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:31 p.m.

KM: unlike politics in Utah where just is no separation of church and state, Right? and outsourcing and corporate interest from policies in place for 10 years had nothing to do with the unemployment, right? I love all the righties carrying on about smaller gov't, lower taxes etc. while clearly ignoring the facts. Unless your last name is Vanderbilt or Rockefeller, the tax cuts the right espouses won't help you. I suppose we have learned from FeauxNews that if you scream something loud enough and long enough, people will believe it.

• Billy Bob Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:06 p.m.

I am an active member of the LDS faith...

therefore I would have voted for Sharon Angle instead of Harry Reid.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:09 a.m.

I have many concerns with the LDS faith...

but I would have voted for Harry Reid instead of Sharon Angle.

• Danish American Payson, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 10:54 a.m.

The reelection of Reid and Boxer just go to show how strong the corrupt Unions are. Several hundred million dollars of union money went into these races and Harrah's offered a bonus to all their employees if Reid won.

• radically_independent Orem, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:45 a.m.

This is great news. No one party can now do anything without the cooperation of a few from the other side of the isle.

And that is the bad news as well. With compromise now being a bad word in Washington, nothing will get done. Obamacare will survive, Banks and Insurance companies will be free to take chances with out risk of failure, and our troops overseas will suffer the consequences of silly budget battles.

If you thought the last two years were bad, the next two just got worse. If we really had a group of people in DC willing to work together, this would be the perfect scenario. But now instead of one party saying NO, we now have two. As long as we have a polarized political landscape, we will all suffer the consequences.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:31 a.m.

Harry Reid has already brought his state 15% unemployment. I guess Nevadans are more comfortable with 20 or so %. Apparentally Nevadans voted the way the union told them to. Watch for fewer and fewer conventions to wind up in Vegas. Nevadans apparentally want things to get MUCH WORSE!
    Also watch for Kalifornia to approach the feds. to bail them out of their sad economy. Companies are leaving the state en masse. The Dems. like to pad the way for illegal immigrants and apparentally have no intention whatsoever in making their state solvent.

• Resident Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:29 a.m.

@ Government Man,

By "good Mormon" do you choose someone who criticizes the church and its leaders. Not setting your bar very high are you?

Harry Reid is a drone. Highest unemployment rates in the nation and all the support in the world from corrupt unions. Good job Nevada. You deserve your unemployment.

California, same thing. Lived there, worked for the carpenter's union in the regional council office. Watched ol' Jerry Brown get his check from them as a "charity" write off. Worked with the books. These guys are corrupt. Members loosing their houses and pensions and more...yet they have pocket change to give to a pathetic arrogant politician. They made us all come take a picture with him, he could careless about any of us, he just wanted the money so he could leave.

Oh well, the unions don't breathe without government (our tax) money so I can see where they might consider this an investment. Try to get some more bailouts to give them work.

I've had my eyes opened from the interior of the union and I will not support them or their corrupt leaders.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:24 a.m.

Those of you out there interested in budgets (both national and familial) should already know that with Obamacare (which is Romneycare) fewer Americans will be declaring bankruptcy after a trip to the hospital.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:19 a.m.

Some of you voted for Sharon Angle and are calling out the Reid voters for being ignorant?

Let me guess. You also prefer Christine and Sarah?

Yes, this election is about status quo.

You watch. Nothing will really change

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:19 a.m.

I can not believe Barbara Boxer and Harry Reid won? What planet are those in Nevada and California living on? I just don't get it??? I don't live there, and I didn't vote there, so I guess they want Obamacare and they want high unemployment? They like the free pay checks I guess? I collect Social Security Disability, believe me I am grateful for it, but I wish I could do anything to collect it a different way. A better system.

• cocosweet Sandy, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:11 a.m.

KM : The worst unemployment rate came primarily (though not entirely) from the housing crisis. That was caused by :

Greed
    Lack of regulation
    People forgetting history (anyone remember the 80's housing market crash?? Unemployment exploded, gold prices went up astronomically and it took time to recover)

Stop blaming just one party or person. It is a complex inssue and only simple minds think there is a simpleton answer.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:04 a.m.

Obama and Reid have cut taxes. This is true and we in Utah are behind Senator Reid all the way. Government can't create jobs so I don't know what any tea party person newly elected plans on doing in Washington D.C. The role of the corporation is not to create jobs, but to maximize profit, and guess what...... corporations right now are making record profits and sitting on a ton of cash. There is a lot of good in America right now.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:31 a.m.

Nevada and California voters... status quo you can believe in.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:17 a.m.

Nevadans are crazy! This is the guy that has given them the worst unemployement rate in the country. Were it not for the communtiy organizing unions, he would be down the road. Way to go dems for making a religion out of politics.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington DC, MD
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:07 a.m.

The only thing Democrats and Republicans provide is the illusion of change.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 6:41 a.m.

What Reid stands for is a disgrace to our nation. Big government is the people's problems, not their solutions to anything.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 5:42 a.m.

I don't care all that much for Reid. But seeing comments like those from wer makes me happy just out of spite that Reid won. This has been an ugly election, with a lot of hot heads spouting off whatever first comes to mind.

• TMR Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 1:14 a.m.

What a relief! It was difficult for me to envision reasonable Nevadans voting Reid out of office, but it has been a close call until tonight. He is a good person, with solid political values, and an effective leader.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:21 a.m.

I would rather he stay in office then Polosi. The Senate is going to be much more equal in numbers and so there will not be the overbearing that there was before. But the people have made a statement and it is to both parties, they are on notice.

• Government Man Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Good Job Harry. It is good to have a strong Mormon in charge of the Senate. Keep up the good work and our prayers go with you. Keep up the good fight.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Dumbest voters in the US.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Nov. 2, 2010 11:17 p.m.

This is one of the more depressing stories. The only one that is worse than this is that California voters elected the arrogant Brown as governor.

Harry Reid has sold out on too many issues. What did it for me was his vote against first admendment protections in the hate crimes act.

I also think that his campaign's attempt to malign his opponant based on something her ex-pastor said months after she left his church was one of the dirtiest actions of any politician.

Reid has now become responsible for the ugly injection of religion into politicis. To try to hold Mrs. Angle in any way accountable for his ex-pastors outburst was the stupidest thing of the entire campaign anywhere in the US.

• Phill Provo, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 11:14 p.m.

Congrats Harry ! :)

• Lorenzo North Ogden, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 10:56 p.m.

To bad for the country. I wonder about the people of Nevada voting for this particular person who has been so instrumental in providing the leadership which has prolonged the ills of the country. Sad!!

• Moderate Thinking Fairfax, VA
    Nov. 2, 2010 10:56 p.m.

A nail biter, but I am happy that you came out ahead in the end Harry! Since the Democrats retain control of the Senate, there is nobody I would rather see than you at the helm.

Congrats to the Republicans with their wins in the House! I think it's always best for the President and the House majority to be from different parties. Separation of powers, checks and balances, and all that good stuff.

• verlo Logan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 10:48 p.m.

Absolutely the biggest disappointment of the night.