Sports

Utah Utes football: Saturday showdown with TCU puts Utes in bright spotlight

Comments

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 5, 2010 10:22 a.m.

@hedgehog 6:28

Cougar fans aren't so much "Afraid" of another undefeated Ute season as they are amused by the fair weather attitude most Ute fans have.

Sure, it's easy to jump on the Ute band wagon now. It's easy to sing "Utah Man", wear your red hats and shirts and belittle your opponents to the point of annoyance, but once your team again has a losing season or two, I promise Rice-Eccles Stadium will again go quiet just like it did during the last few years Ron McBride was head coach.

Don't believe me? Okay, tell me, does the Huntsman Center fill up now like it did when Rick Majerus was head basketabll ooach?

I rest my case.

Enjoy your season, fair weather Ute fans, but just remember, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 7:06 p.m.

Hornedfrog

You are drinkin' the Kool-aid my man. A mediocre SMU team ran up nearly 400 yards in offense on your vaunted D. An average OSU team played you tough as well. Dalton threw multiple picks in those games. It's arguable this TCU team isn't as good as last year's team...the one that choked against BSU. Fact is Utah has the athletes to match up this year and the game is in their house, not yours. You is gonna be in a dogfight my friend.

• HornedfrogforLife Fort Worth, TX
    Nov. 2, 2010 6:33 p.m.

Flying Ute,

You are right we did choke last year, a mistake that will not be made again, GP has the guys poised and remembering that as well as the missed three FG that let you guys win last time.

Funny you bring up SMU 41-24, realize a few things, SMU did play us very well, they have been our longest rival, and as you know you can throw everything out regarding stats when a rivalry is being played. Second the next five team have scored a combine 16. Thirdly, how did your boys fare in Colorado last week, oh yeah that's right they barely escaped! I guarantee there will be no five turnovers this Saturday by the frogs!

Keep dreaming utes! No way will you even really compete this week, you would have to play out of your minds. Air force showed the nation you are not that great. Also, since you brought up SMU, watch out for BYU, they played us very well, I was much more nervous in that game then I was at SMU.

We will see you on our way to the NC!!

Yes, I'm drinking the purple Kool-aid Go Frogs

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Nov. 2, 2010 6:28 p.m.

Well, well, well. My fragile little Ute haters from the south...seems you have this game all figured out.

Could it be that the reason for the early predictions is stemming from FEAR?

FEAR of yet another Undefeated season (2 in the last 3 years & 3 out of the last 6 years)

FEAR of yet another another BCS Bowl?

FEAR of a Rose Bowl invite even before the Utes join the PAC12?

Think of me as your personal Freddy Kruger...I haunt your nightmares.

LOL!!

• FlyingUte Murray, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 6:09 p.m.

Get real people. TCU choked against BSU in the Fiesta last year. That team was better than the '10 team. SMU played them great this year as far as their talent would go. TCU will get rocked and then will see who handles the pressure. Get Dalton scrambling and he will make mistakes against the Utah D. Utah 42 - 28 count on it! Doubt me? Go put money on TCU. Utah wins big! Go Utes!

• YOVERu Draper, Utah
    Nov. 2, 2010 5:17 p.m.

utah fans should be nervous. utah beats Air Force by only 5 after being outgained on the ground, through the air, etc. and getting 5 turnovers from the Falcons(2 of which took points off the board). When was the last time AF had 5 turnovers?

TCU is more physical, stronger, and more experienced that Air Force, and will not be turned over 5 times or miss 3 field goals again.

TCU 27 utah 20(if you're lucky)

• YOVERu Draper, Utah
    Nov. 2, 2010 4:58 p.m.

You must be kidding me utah fans. utah beat Air Force by 5 after Air Force outgained them in total yards, passing yards, and rushing yards, and then handed them the game with 5 turnovers(2 of which took points off the board for sure). When was the last time AF had 5 turnovers. TCU is bigger, more physical than AF. They have more speed, a senior quarterback with experience, and I don't believe they will have 5 turnovers or miss 3 field goals. TCU 27 utah 20 (if you're lucky)

• PrepSportsFan Draper, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 4:46 p.m.

A 5 point give for TCU is the Lock of the Century. Believe me, I am all in. I believe this will be a 2 to 3 TD game.

• HornedfrogforLife Fort Worth, TX
    Nov. 2, 2010 3:55 p.m.

I finally found a site to combat the UTES!

We still remember 2008, we missed three FG's, we gave it away! There is not a single horned frog that forgets that game. We will not give it away this week.

TCU 35 Utah 10 with your only touchdown coming in the final minutes of the fourth quarter

GO FROGS!!!

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 3:51 p.m.

worf,

"TCUs defense is better than any team in America-period"

This would be the same defense that gave up nearly 400 yards offense to SMU? They're good, but the best? That's a big stretch given their schedule. Think they'll have to prove that on Saturday.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 3:28 p.m.

Whittingham was obviously worried after the utes mediocre performance last Saturday. He knows they haven't played any good teams this year and the only two ok teams they have played they almost lost to.

He knows they will lose this weekend and does anyone not wearing crimson colored glasses.

• NORCALUTE MoTown, CA
    Nov. 2, 2010 3:14 p.m.

Utes by 10

This will be a great game...TCU will be suprised by the Ute's speed and power on the O and D lines and TCU will be overwhelmed by the Ute's depth in all positions...our Ute's will make us proud!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 2, 2010 2:42 p.m.

Davidutefan:

The utes lead 2 out of three? Remember Jeremy Kerly? TCUs defense is better than any team in American--period. The offenses may be equal--the Frogs just did'nt run up the score as much and brought in the 2's & 3's earlier than the Utes. The utes only advantage is the home field. That may get nasty. Hope there's plenty of security.

• Samwise Hobbiton, The Shire
    Nov. 2, 2010 2:25 p.m.

Home field advantage, and an awesome crowd, will give it to the Utes, as I feel the two are pretty evenly matched (at a neutral location it might be ever so slightly in TCU's favor). I am a Cougar fan, but I always have cheered for Utah when they are not playing BYU. I like the rivalry but not the hate that some from both sides bring. This Saturday, Go Utes!

• h00plah Provo, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 2:19 p.m.

This BYU fan will be pulling red all the way! Stay classy, Utah!!

GO UTES!!

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 2:04 p.m.

Balan

You are kidding me?!?!

Utah by 5!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 1:53 p.m.

Utah 20 TCU 17

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Nov. 2, 2010 1:39 p.m.

The O-line will have to play out of their minds and Wynn will need a career game. It will be fun to watch.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Nov. 2, 2010 1:30 p.m.

Utahs defense is not as bad as all these blue-bleeders are saying. Utah's offense is better than TCU's and Utah's special teams are better. TCU has a great defense but, there are 3 aspects to the game and I think Utah exceeds in 2 out of three. Also, don't forget the 12th man. RES is gonna be rockin' on Saturday. I see Utah coming out on top in a game a lot like the one two years ago however, if not 12-1 on the season and a pretty good ranking to start the first year in the PAC-12 wouldn't exactly devastate me or the program. There are plenty of teams that would sell their collective souls to be where Utah is. I can think of at least one about an hours drive south for one. You can tell by their fans comments right here.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 1:13 p.m.

I'll let jazz fan say it.
    I love the utes too, but don't think their offense has put together a good enough game to convince me they will get much done against the frog D.

Please, Please prove me wrong Utes!

• Ute out East Boston, MA
    Nov. 2, 2010 1:11 p.m.

Not So Common Sense--if the line went from 4.5 to 6 then people are betting on TCU, not Utah. I love the Utes and surely hope they pull it off but for those who think TCU is overrated you are nuts--they are definitely a great team with an amazing D--if Utah resembles how they played against Air Force we're in for a long day.

• #1 Jazz Fan Springville, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 12:38 p.m.

As much as I like the Utes,

after watching the games, TCU's doing a lot better.

The only way Utah scrapes out a win, is if TCU gives it to them.

Defense wins championships. TCU's D is #1 in the land.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 2, 2010 12:21 p.m.

This Cougar fan wishes the Utes well this Saturday. TCU choked on the big stage last Fiesta Bowl. Until I see TCU win in the national spotlight, I will go with the Utes.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 2, 2010 12:02 p.m.

What has TCU done in the past few years to give anybody an idea the utes could win this? I just hope the fans use proper conduct and don't shame the state of Utah.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 10:46 a.m.

The beat down cannot happen soon enough. Top ten whatever.

• utez124 murray, utah
    Nov. 2, 2010 10:29 a.m.

"utah isnt fast enough, strong enough, or good enough to beat alabama", "tcu is too good for utah, they have too much depth, speed, and talent for utah". hmmm sounds too familiar, tcu is not the team they have been in recent year, dalton does not look as efficiant as he was even last year. why isnt utah that "great"? seriously people continue to underestimate utah and their potential and drive, most of the players on this utah team took oregon down to the wire last year at oregon, this utah team put a beat down on a big 12 school this season who also put a beat down on texas this year. the players on utah's team have been down the road and know what needs to be done to win on any given saturday, or thursday in 08'.so go on all you nay sayers, keep shunning utah, if utah isnt that good of program then why are they heading to the pac starting next season? Utah WILL win on saturday, not one doubt here, and you shouldnt doubt either. unless you love eating your crow.

• U of U Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:39 a.m.

I have to admit, on paper I think TCU definitely has the edge. I think Utah has a few players at a few positions on defenses that are just too inexperienced. They are good players, but haven't proven to me that they can hang with TCU.

Still, the game is not played on paper. Anybody can win this one. And, even though I did not like the overall Ute performance against Air Force, I did like the fact that the Ute defense was going after the ball - I think they take that into this game against TCU and possibly force a few turnovers. That would be the only way, I think, that Utah can beat TCU.

Go Utes!

• Just Wondering... Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:14 a.m.

"This is going to be one of the biggest games anyone will see this whole season," said Utah center Zane Taylor.

Unfortunnately, most of the "anyone's" won't see this game on CBS-C...GameDay is always fun though?

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:13 a.m.

If Utah always "gets up for the big games" how do you explain @TCU in 2009, losing 3 of 4 to BYU and finishing third or worse in the MWC every year but one since 2005?

• sledhead Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:10 a.m.

Our Utes are good, but not that good. They have tripped their way through several games this year.
    The only reason we might pull this game off is that it's a home game. I still believe TCU will pull out with the win. I hate to admit it but they are a more consistent, solid team.
    As far as our fans, many (too many) are a real embarrasment. A bit more maturity would make for more enjoyable games. GO UTES!

• Anthony likes Utah Sports West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:08 a.m.

Sorry to hear Utah'95. At least take your son to GameDay! I'm gonna be there at 6am!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:04 a.m.

I want to be a Utah fan. I have decided to dress like the football team.

Dress in black.

Braid my hair.

Get some tattoos.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:52 a.m.

3 QB sacks, 2 interceptions by Wynn, 2 fumbles, total of 4 turnovers by the Utes. Ouch!

TCU by 14.

Kleenex, hot chocolate, scones, and a shoulder to cry on for my devastated and depressed Ute pals on Saturday evening.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:35 a.m.

Sorry to disappoint, but it will be TCU by 10 points.

• WVCOG West Valley City, Utah
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:13 a.m.

Hey cougar fans . . . . good luck against the mighty rebels this week! Is the mountain going to be there to hype up the huge match-up?

• BigYak14 Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 2, 2010 7:28 a.m.

sorry uties ... no chance. TCU 31, Utah 17

• FreeMan Heber City, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 7:01 a.m.

Even though I'll be at the BYU v UNLV game, I'll be cheering for the Utes. Good luck. If you bring your A game, you'll win. If you don't, you won't.

Good luck Kyle.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Nov. 2, 2010 4:07 a.m.

You guys want to hear something sad? I believe this is the biggest football game ever played in RES, and I won't be able to see it. I will be taking my eight year old son on his first campout!

Maybe I'll get lucky and come down with the flu or something...

• NC UTES 2010 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 12:04 a.m.

Well on our way to the 2010 national championship, as I predicted 2 months ago.

TCU is good, but we all know Utah gets up for and almost ALWAYS wins the close games(with the ocassional blip against byu as we painfully know).

0% chance tcu leaves salt lake with a win.

It's happening - MARK IT DOWN - Utah is the 2010 national champ.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:56 p.m.

Is CBS C the spotlight. Who even has it. What happened that one of the best games of the season missed regular programing. BYU TV should air it in high def. with commentaries!!!. they have the capability. This is sad.

• Th Tooele, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:54 p.m.

Tarheel Ute...

Great points. Hey I was at the game Saturday as well. I was very impressed with Air Force and the game plan Troy Calhoun put together for Utah. He had a plan to win Saturday whereas I felt KWhitt changed everything Utah does. That said, it'll be tough for Air Force to hold onto Calhoun. The guys a great coach.

As for Saturday, I think Utah will be fine. TCU is a great team and Utah will have to play one heck of a game to win. But, they are capable of winning and winning big.

Go Ute's..... Take it to the Toads

Utah 27 TCU 17

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:02 p.m.

Back in Missouri in the good ol' days, if you were "in the spotlight" you were a deer and got often got poached!

We shall see if the Utes can stand the heat of the spotlight on Saturday. It will be a great day for football in Utah no doubt but I fear for my dear Ute pals.

I'll be here waiting for you with Kleenex, some hot chocolate, scones and a shoulder for you to cry on! ;>D

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:30 p.m.

This game certainly can't be the biggest game in the history of a state whose sport history contains the 1997 and 1998 Utah Jazz teams. It can be argued that it is the biggest football game, but not biggest game ever. Besides, did you know that multiple times these past few years, a no.1 and no.2 ranked football team have played for the national title in SLC? Well, Snow College isn't doing as well as usual this year so they may not be challengers, but they are usually pretty good. ;)

Anyway, as for the game on Saturday, I believe the Utes can win. The Ute's side has been demonstrated many times already (ex. "Utah will win if they played like they did against ISU, etc.), but have you thought about TCU? What if they bring their A+ game? How will they treat the game? I expect them to come ready to play, and they have more at stake than the U does (they already beat BYU, and BYU could still beat Utah-- it's a rivalry, so don't count on automatic wins there). I think TCU will play with heart and win.

• youtes taylorsville, utah
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:22 p.m.

Although I used to be a Y fan, I am now a true-blooded U fan. I think Utah pulls off this win as time expires, or in overtime. Utah 27-24.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:11 p.m.

I'm gonna guess Corso puts on the Horned Frog.

But he's been wrong plenty of times.

Go Utes!

• Not So Common Sense Lehi, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:56 p.m.

Interesting about the Vegas line being at 4.5.

I looked this morning at it was TCU by 6.
    Tells me people are betting Utah so far.

At any rate, this IS the biggest game ever played in the state of Utah.
    Utah can certainly win this game.
    I'll be there in BLACK.
    Go UTES!!!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:50 p.m.

Nice "College Gameday Live" today on ESPN. Mostly on Utah - TCU. Good interview with coach Whitt.

Go Utes!!

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:35 p.m.

I think history will play itself out this Saturday. TCU, Andy Dalton, et al, have a history of coming up small in games like this. I wonder if Coach Patterson will take note. If he doesn't, Utah should win.

If the rest of the season were to go perfectly however, TCU beats Utah, BYU wins out going to 7-5 and maybe goes to a bowl game that they win for momentum going into next season.

As a BYU fan I would like to point out that TCU has a tackle dummny with a Y on it, so they recognize that traditionally the MWC championship, like the WAC championship before it, goes through BYU, not the U. That is not to take anything away from Utah's great season to this point. I think they have an advantage on TCU because they have played a few tight games. If this game is close, Utah will win.

Oh, who to root against this week! What a dilemma!

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 8:45 p.m.

Balan writes:

"I personally cannot stand Ute fans. I believe they are the most arrogant, uninformed, hypocritical fan base there is."

That's quite a strong, prejudiced opinion, hardly in keeping with the teachings of Christianity. ;)

• tripletiote Clovis, CA
    Nov. 1, 2010 7:47 p.m.

I'm a huge Ute fan and was a member of the MUSS for 4 years starting in '04 after a mission. I don't think this is the biggest game in the teams history. Winning this game doesn't even guarantee a spot in a BCS bowl. We've still got BS ahead of us.

This is a big game, and it would be great to win. It would be nice to go to a BCS game. It would be nice to go the national championship game too. Can the Utes win this Sat? Sure, they can beat anybody, and usually do in big games. However, I am preparing myself for some disappointment. I want to remember that not everything rides on this.

We have many years ahead of us to get to an NC game the way everyone else does. If not this year, why not next year when our starters have more experience? If the Utes are as good as we think, they don't have to play Cinderella anymore and depend on the kindness of strangers. Still, a little excitement for old times' sake is a lot of fun. GO Utes!

• Nostradamus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 7:16 p.m.

Balan - big generalization, but I understand...BYU fans can be equally hard for some of us Utes to handle. However, thanks for the prediction - probably better than mine.

With that said, I got Utah by 10 (although the vegas money has TCU by 4.5 to 5.0). It will be intersting to see if Utah opens it up on offense...defense should keep us close.

Fun time to be a Utah fan...GO UTES!

• utefan56 st george, utah
    Nov. 1, 2010 7:07 p.m.

nicely put ...Tarheel!

• Tarheel Ute Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 1, 2010 6:00 p.m.

After watching the game at the AFA stadium, and later at dinner with the AFA cadet we sponsor I was asked to justify why I thought Utah was not over-rated - certainly considering the Utah's uneven performance earlier that day.

Trying not to be overly arrogant, uninformed or hypocritical, I responded simply that by next Saturday we should certainly know - whether Utah or TCU, another team considered over-rated by the BCS mafia and others should be considered elite proportionate to their current ranking.

It’s only we fans and sports talking heads, who have these conversations. Utah’s players the coaches can only play their scheduled opponents, albeit scheduled years in advance. We would hope that Pittsburg, Iowa State, Wyoming, AFA, stronger programs in past years, prove competitive to suppress the Utah’s naysayers. But naysayers and their arguments, just like those used to downgrade BYU’s past hypothetical championship and spectacular teams, can only be proven or disproven on the field. And at least on Saturday, Utah or TCU will win, and hopefully be given the due respect.

But even then, I am not holding my breath.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 1, 2010 5:28 p.m.

This is the biggest game ever at RES! Coach Whitt will keep the team grounded and focused.

Keep to the game plan and don't make the mistakes and we have a great shot at 9-0! Can't wait for Game Day and for the game!! Got my tickets!

Go Utes! Beat the toads!!

Balan: thanks for your well wishes for the team. I won't take your opinion about us Ute fans to heart! Many of us have the same opinion of Y fans, so we'll just call this one a draw!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 4:27 p.m.

Balan

Right back at ya!

I think your quote "arragant, uninformed, hypocritical fan base" was taken directly from bronco talking about byu's fan base. Right? lol

That said, I agree with you on the score.

• Balan West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2010 4:12 p.m.

However, I respect what the Utah football team has done over the past decade or more. They have excellent players, great coaches (heck, half of them were BYU players) and most importantly, they find a way to win the big games - something my team has struggled mightily at. There is no question in my mind that they have now achieved the title of "most dominant football team in the State of Utah". They have earned it and they deserve it.

So, although I believe TCU is the better team, and believe me this hurts, my prediction for the game on Saturday is Utah 27 TCU 24.

At least we have BYU basketball to look forward to! Go Cougars!

• SoCalUtesFan San Diego, CA
    Nov. 1, 2010 4:05 p.m.

No question about the spotlight will be on Utes this Saturday.

A win will gain much respect for Utah which it lacks even though Utah is ranked #5 in BCS.

This game is the most important game in Utah history. Period.

Play tough & smart football. Keep your composure.
    And win.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 4:05 p.m.

As a BYU Cougar fan, I am excited for Utah and I will be wearing red that day! 2 great teams playing a great game! Go Utes!