Dozens of DUI arrests made during 4-hour Halloween blitz

• three11stu Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 6:48 a.m.

Last year we went through a checkpoint to check for DUI's, and we did not feel that we were harassed at all. It was nice to feel that the roads were safe from those drinking and driving.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 6:35 a.m.

Re: DAVE.. you must have been one of the 1500 that were stopped. Your comment sounds like sour grapes.

I hope the UHP keeps up this strategy to take DUI offenders off the road.

• sisucas San Bernardino, CA
    Nov. 1, 2010 5:54 a.m.

There are more than 50,000 deaths on our roads each year, and MANY more traffic collisions that result in major injuries without deaths. At least half of all these "accidents" involve an intoxicated driver. This is very worthy effort, one which I wish the UHP and other agencies would invest a little more effort in.

• ego Laie, HI
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:18 p.m.

@ Dave. I think you may change your opinion if/when you have/had a family member killed by someone in our society who was excising his/her freedom to drink and drive.

My grandfather did not even get to know me or my children....

I wish that we had more "harassment". . . perhaps then my grandfather would have the freedom to live a longer life.

Thank You UHP.....please do this more often.

• LuVePacifica kearns, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2010 8:46 p.m.

If your going to Drink/party -
    Stay home smart moves good ideas

Plus for those loved ones that care
    Dont Drive Drunk alchol is bad for your Health)

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 6:59 p.m.

Thank you UHP.

And, thank you to the designated drivers and their friends who were smart enough to plan ahead.

• dave Park City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 5:31 p.m.

Almost 1500 people harassed to arrest 79. It would be interesting to know how many of those were actually unsafe to drive. My guess would be less than half. We give up liberty for perceived safety. A sad commentary. Freedom is not free.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 4:31 p.m.

Thank you UHP!!!!!!

• maidenwings kearns, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:12 p.m.

And besides tha point,no to Drink and Drive at all you can Harm be harmed or other wise.Good idea..

They Have random check points From Here to Wendover)