Sports

Utah Utes football: ESPN's 'GameDay' coming to SLC for TCU game

Comments

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 5:54 p.m.

3gen Ute is right — The rivalry would be a lot more fun if BYU had a better season. It's no secret most Utah and BYU fans have some respect for one other. But; the obnoxious fans are just so loud it is hard not to add fuel to the argument. The truth is that the typical fan has more fun secretly routing for both teams except when it works against them. My BYU season ticket holder neighbors drove with my family to the Fiesta Bowl in 2005 and they returned the favor inviting me to Dallas for the BYU/OK game. But, even with all the secret love, I still hate Max Hall and the Cardinals...and I hate the Mountain channel. I'm so glad both teams left the MWC.

• 3genUTE Chicago, IL
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:27 a.m.

For all the bitter trash talk that goes on, almost every fan of either BYU or Utah secretly hopes the other team will win big games when it isn't the annual game or a fight for the conference crown.

This year is more acrimonious than usual from both sides, I believe, because Utah ended the conference rivalry (and took a step up not offered to BYU) by joining the PAC10.

I am happy to see Utah get to play in a BCS conference, but I can't help wishing the MWC would have expanded to 12 teams, (including Boise & Nev), and demanded an automatic BCS berth.

That would have formed a regional conference centered in the mountain west, with 5-7 top flight football programs each year. Regional pride means something!

Too late. Utah must stay consistently strong (or be a .500 team), and BYU will either magically step it up or fade quickly to a hit and miss "Mormon" football program known primarily for having it's own TV network. The "independent" model hasn't worked well for years, ask ND!

• Ute Fan In Utah West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:48 a.m.

I will be there bright and early for GameDay! I fully expect my voice to be out for the next week after this game, and if it isn't than I didn't cheer enough! Go UTES, the MUSS will be there with ya!!!! Let's get some revenge for BYU and take down #3 TCU!

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:13 a.m.

@ Dave

Good man.

I'll be there, I'm hoping to get a hug from Lee Corso haha.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:08 a.m.

Hey VegasYewty,

Serious question here - what would your reaction be if byu were in Utah's position? Just curiosity on my part. Something similar to what Dave said?

I do think the yewties will take care of TCU. Both good, but I think the yewties have the better team this year and with the game in SLC they'll pull this one out.

• TAGZZ SLC, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:53 a.m.

I will definitely be there for College Gameday... You will see me taking out the person waving the Washington State Flag... JK, Has anybody else noticed that Washington State always has a flag waving in the background at all College Gamedays!!

Go Utes, Cannot wait to be standing with my MUSS cheering on the Utes!!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 7:14 a.m.

This is not an ESPN game. It's on CBSC. This is respect from ESPN at it's highest!!!

• Archie O\'Fallon, MO
    Nov. 1, 2010 7:12 a.m.

Dave from Taylorsville | 2:19 p.m. Oct. 31, 2010
    tcom2011 | 1:57 a.m. Nov. 1, 2010

Thanks, great advice. Let's get to work Utah fans!!!!!!!

• tcom2011 Fort Worth, TX
    Nov. 1, 2010 1:57 a.m.

AS a Fort Worth guy and a BYU fan I have to join with Dave. GO UTES!!! I have always cheered the U second, but this will be a fantastic game.

Only tip, after attending many games in Fort Worth, realize those players never play in front of a loud crowd, theirs is very small. When BYU or Utah comes in town the opposing fans are nearly 1/3 to 1/2. So get loud, get crazy and knock em dead!

Go Cougs! Go Utes! Bust into that NC!!

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:27 p.m.

You're dreaming if you think the Utes will win by 30 when they could only win Air Force by 5. They definitely have a good chance of winning, and if they do, it'll be by no more than 2 or 3 points.

• Smack Jefferson City, MO
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:32 p.m.

Utes by 30.

Go UTES!

• Oklahoma Ute Oklahoma City, OK
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:06 p.m.

Wild and Crazy.

Just saw the BCS standings. Give me a break! I will take a TCU, BSU, or Utah against any of the other top-10 teams. Yet those teams don't control their own destiny. Bring on the playoff!

Game Day is going to be huge! I drove down to TCU for last year's game and left with my tail between the legs. TCU is tough, but we got them at RES this year and I think it's going to be close. I'm not predicting a win, but I'm sure hoping for it.

Win or lose--Great times ahead!

Go Utes!

• Brettski2024 Concord, CA
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:01 p.m.

Wow! Great news for the Utes! Don't be surprised if all the ESPN announcers pick TCU. I will be cheering the Utes on this Saturday. Go Utes!

• jw Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 8:46 p.m.

why has the meaning of "championship" been so lost in college football...

In this article it reads in the very last line "during Utah's 2004 Fiesta Bowl championship season"

The Fiesta Bowl is NOT the championship, hey, even the national championship is not really a "championship" because that would imply the two best teams are playing for the number one spot, but we can never know if they are the two best teams because of our BCS system. So quit using the word championship until we have a 16 team playoff with no automatic qualifiers, and hey we will even call the team that wins it the national champion and give them a trophy that means something

• Not So Common Sense Lehi, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 8:31 p.m.

This game is huge.
    #5 Utah vs. #3 TCU.
    This is the biggest game played in the history of the state of Utah. It is the first time that 2 top 10 teams have played head to head.

Its a BLACKOUT game. Remember to wear your black.

Utah can win this game. Whitt needs to keep these guys focused this week.
    GO UTES!!!!

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    Oct. 31, 2010 7:07 p.m.

Things are contining to fall Utahs way. Another close win over TCU could set them up for another great season like 2 yrs ago.

Good luck vs TCU and Patterson.

• Kameron South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 6:49 p.m.

There will be 5000 fans at the set of game day. It was a riot back in 2004. Let's be loud and proud. Cheer on our team to a great victory. Great lead in for the Pac 12. Win or lose, this has been and is still a great season.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Oct. 31, 2010 6:33 p.m.

Great to see ESPN's game day crew in SLC. Great exposure for the Utes and TCU. I think I will watch this one. What happened to the MTN network and the lock they have on MTN West games?

I wish the Utes well in this game. Would love to see the winner in a BCS title game.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 31, 2010 6:24 p.m.

Go Utes!

• InUtahButNotOfUtah South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 6:14 p.m.

As a Texas fan living in Utah, I say way to go, Utes! It's been a pleasure watching your team this year. I can't say the same about the Longhorns this year! ;-)

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 31, 2010 5:34 p.m.

Thanks Dave - you are indeed a class act! We truly appreciate it!

I will be there for Game Day and for the game. Flying in Friday afternoon!

Can't wait! Win or lose, it should be a classic!

Go Utes!! Beat the toads!!

• iRSLfan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 4:45 p.m.

coooooooooooooooooool. That is great anyone going to go hang out at the gameday set? I'm thinkin about it

• ManBearPig Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 4:25 p.m.

7:00 AM... Dang! I'll be there for kickoff.

• DeKalb Genoa, IL
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:59 p.m.

I wish I could be there. I am considering flying out just for Gameday!

• Wldflwr Lehi, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:50 p.m.

Can't wait to see which mascot head Corso will put on!

• Oh, please! Southern, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:22 p.m.

Go TCU!

• GO-U slc, ut
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:11 p.m.

The SEC and is cringing with this exposure!! It's pinnacle! Utah vs. TCU national audience

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:10 p.m.

Great news for Utah...hopefully your Utes fare better than we did in Provo last year when TCU came in and walloped the Cougs. I'm not sure Utah will win it, but they look good enough to stay in it, especially if you guys in the stadium keep it crazy loud for all 4 quarters.

• GO-U slc, ut
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:07 p.m.

Dave!! That's a class act leaving that comment it is good to see it, gone lately is the bashing that once was on both sides Ute/Cougar...let's see how far they go!!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 2:37 p.m.

TCU will probably be the favorite in this game, despite being on Utahs turf.

Utes will make lots of believers.

Too bad the game is still on CBS-C, or even more people would see the game.

• Dave from Taylorsville Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 2:19 p.m.

If I'm the first to comment here. . . great!

I just wan to say, from one loyal BYU Cougar . . .

GO UTES!!!

The day will come again when we are "on the hunt" again. But this is your day, your season. Take it all the way to the top! Don' t let them horny toads get the best of ya. . . Squash em Utes. Squash em!!!