Sports

5A high school football playoffs: Miners, minus suspended star, handle Hunter

Comments

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 9:03 a.m.

BT1984,

I remember those games very well. But comparing this group to either of those is apples to oranges. This group is so much better than those other teams it's not even close. If we get to Cottonwood or Jordan, then maybe I'd say anything can happen. But not this Northridge team. It would take Langi's legs to fall off, Cantwell's arms to fall off, and Smith and Fackrel's hands to drop off for this team to lose to Northridge. I stood by the Northridge coaches at the Hunter game as they were discussing ways to stop Bingham. There was about 5 of them there in all their NR gear. I overheard one of them tell one of the other coaches, "All we can really hope for is to try and keep them under 40" That attitude right there gets them beat against this team.

• blucougr SLC, UT
    Nov. 4, 2010 7:45 a.m.

@yankee doodle
    I understand your points very well, my frustration is everybody giving this team the crown before its deserved. As I said, it would be foolish to say that THIS Bingham team gets beat this year. So maybe we just switch over to the BCS system and let the computers decide who the champs are!! How about just letting the boys play, and if or when Bingham wins out they are a true champion. If you seen NR play then you know that Thompson (NR Coach) never runs up the score on anybody, so its hard to match numbers. In all honesty this is just fun to talk about, the thought of Bingham losing this year is hard to imagine.
    Sugar Bowl: Utah over Alabama....could happen, nobody gave them a chance either!
    Oh ya, Welcome back Harvey, it will be fun to watch you and your boys on the field of battle.
    Best of luck to all!!

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:05 p.m.

Gunner;

I know that it looks very good for Bingham this year but I remember 1994 and 2005. We were riding a 7 game winning streak going into week 8 at Granger in '94. Everyone expected us to blow them out of their own stadium, and they were good back then. They stomped us into the mud and we went 7-3, eliminated in the first round by Layton.
    We were 10-0 going into the playoffs in '05 with Brighton looking to be our next victim. They shocked us and had the lead late in the game. We had a good drive going when they intercepted the ball and sat on it until time ran out.
    Never discount anyone. The ball isn't round, it can take some funny bounces.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:49 a.m.

RafeM59, I've seen them both play this year, Bingham just about every game. I'd count them out completely.

• RafeM59 Roy, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 3:59 p.m.

I havn't seen Bingham play, but obviously they are a powerhouse and northridge has there hands full. But I have seen Northridge play this year and I wouldn't count them completely out. Afterall this is football and anything can happen under those friday night lights. GO FOOTBALL!!!

• KnightsFan Layton, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 1:33 a.m.

We'll put up a fight no doubt about it. Will it be enough most likely not but you never know what can happen! Im expecting it to be Bingham's toughest game of the season because we are a balanced team. The run will probably get stuffed but we have shown that we can throw the ball a bit if we need to. Good luck knights and give it all you got!

• Rapid Alpine, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:14 p.m.

I don't know much about Northridge, but I'm looking forward to the Jordan vs. Bingham game. Both very explosive offenses, but Bingham's D get the win. I hope Northridge can put up a fight this week, from what i've heard they are a great team.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 8:24 p.m.

love how all the disparaging Bingham and Langi comments get posted and those of us who have constructive comments about the actual game and responses to the bingham haters get tossed out. Thanks

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:45 a.m.

Every article about Bingham or Langi brings out the haters. I love the constant comments on all the Bingham articles about how it is the O-line and you could plug in any RB. Give me a break. I am not a fan, but have seen them a few times this year and 4-5 times last year. The line last year was much better. They have 1 returning starter, who is solid. I think he is headed to USU. The moved a D-lineman over, who is by far their best lineman either side of the ball. From what I hear, they lost 2 year starters at Center (gone to Navy), Tackle (USU) and Guard who was Mr. Utah last year (BYU) and a TE (BYU). This year's center is a converted FB and undersized, the rest of the line looks big, but a few friends I have out that way told me before the season, the worries were O-line and DBs, both seem to be doing just fine. From what I understand, their line coach is awesome.

I also know #5 would be a starter at ANY other HS, he is amazing. They are deep.

• Hov Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 1:05 a.m.

100 yards in 4 carries. Pretty amazing. Like I said more the line than the back.

• Football881 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:30 p.m.

Timp

That isnt why they won that game, its just a fact I was pointing out.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 7:58 p.m.

@blucougr
    I have not seen NorthRidge play and I am not putting them down or anything but I am going by the only common opponents they have had,
    1. Bingham crushed Alta 49-26, NorthRidge 21-14.
    2. Bingham destroyed Viewmont 51-0, NorthRidge 30-7.
    And the only other observation I can make is NorthRidge lost to Davis, who just got hammered by Jordan. So I think it may be a good matchup but as usual I don't think it will be close, NorthRidge will not be able to stop the multiple weapons Bingham has on Offense. NorthRidge has traditionally been a pound it out on the ground team as well and we all know that spells Doomed with a capital D against Peck's Defense. Looking forward to the game though.

• Kramer Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 6:24 p.m.

To Truth Serum...Remember Harveys #'s usually reflect only playing half a game. If Coach Peck and his staff were only interested in #'s Harvey could have rushed for 2500-3000 yards this year. The o-line deserves alot of credit, they are a polished group, but Harvey is a special back and is dominate. He breaks takles that alot of less talented backs cannot, and he is a great blocker in passing situations. I look for Harvey to have a huge game against Northridge. I may or may not agree with the punishment Harvey received for his antics over the past two weeks, but I don't know the whole story either. None the less, he's a great football player and I hope he goes far.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:32 p.m.

"shows that Bingham is deep" and that "Bingham is better coached than any high school around"

Its a first round game and they were down one player. Not as big of an accomplishment as you're making it out to be.

• Football881 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:15 p.m.

What it showes is that Bingham is deep. Yes they have a good line but 2 of there linemen are barely over 200lbs. If inoke wouldnt have blown his knee out last year would have split time with harvey. He is a unbelievable back, always has been since he was little. Harvey will not lose one offer because of what happened. Bronco Mendenhall was at the game trying to get harvy to commit and if there not backing off no one else will for sure. Bottom line is that Bingham is better coached that any other high school around, there back ups are prepared.

• RobertC West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:04 p.m.

I think the only question left is who is going to bring the cupcakes to Binghams 5A Championship victory party.

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 1:09 p.m.

lp might have the dfence to slow them down. But not stop them which is good for them. And who knows jordan might be the only one to put up the most numbers to keep it close. Anything can happen and maybe lp can stop them. That would be awesome

• Love the Game American Fork, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 12:31 p.m.

I would like to see someone push Bingham to make them earn it this year. But it won't be Northridge. Cottonwood and LP have the best chance of providing any pressure.

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 11:41 a.m.

Kameron and "The Truth Serum", thank you. Thank you for proving me right when I told Harvey yesterday that he's drawing so much attention simply because he's such a high profile target. The title of this article proves it as well.
    Harvey is unlikely to lose scholarships over a trespassing charge. The same goes for the invitation to the U.S. Army All-American Game.
    The college recruiters aren't a bunch of idiots who don't know how to assess talent. There's a reason that Harvey Langi has offers from all over the country, and it's not because he simply has a dominant offensive line in front of him.
    Someone wrote in their comment the other day that the college recruiters know more than local "armchair quarterbacks" and that person was right.
    Say what you want about Harvey Langi's abilities, he'll just go out and prove you wrong.

• blucougr SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:30 a.m.

Good work Bingham, You are doing exactly what every fan expected. You have proven you are loaded and don't miss a beat when a starter is out. REAL NICE JOB!! I have watched several Northridge games this season and if I were you I would not take these guys too lightly. Northridge took fremont, the region 1 champs to double OT losing by 7, and lost by 3 to defending champs and last yrs state runner ups, Davis. They are very quiet with there success and are very scrappy. Northridge's offense is loaded with untapped talent that very few know about and the "D" is abusive. Bingham is no doubt the best in the state, but I think this MAY be a better match up than you think. It would be foolish to say any team will beat Bingham, but a good close game is expected. Best of luck to all!! What a great time of year.

• The Truth Serum Bluffdale, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:27 a.m.

I think Inoke showed Harvi's #'s are not as great as some would think. I guess it proves the theory correct. That anyone can run for big yards behind their line. That shouldn't be meant as a diss on Inoke as he is really good but a compliment on their line

• Kameron South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 6:41 a.m.

Langhi made an error of which he feels bad. He may lose scholarship offers and may not play in the Army All American game over his mistakes. The team didn't need him for Hunter and still won't for Northridge. We only hear about Bingham's offense. Their defense is better than the offense.