Sports

Utah Utes football: Utes hold off Air Force

Comments

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:00 a.m.

What a great game! I'm glad that we'll no longer be playing Air Force every year those guys keep it close every single game. I'm glad the defense woke up when it mattered most, they kind of fell asleep in the 4th quarter.

Anyways, that kind of game was probably the best prep that the Utes could have for this week's game against TCU. It's fun to see all the naysayers proved wrong up to this point. I particularly liked Yankee Doodle's post, typifying the bitter cougar fan who predicts that a "great" team like Air Force would beat Utah and then when Utah only wins by 5, talks about the very same team as if they were a weak opponent who should've lost by 30.

It's going to be a blast this weekend at the Utah TCU game! GO UTES!!!

• What To Do Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 6:04 p.m.

Utah is just taking one game at a time. I love all the comments by the all knowing zoobs and all the predictions of Utah losing to TCU. It will be fun to see how green you all are after Utah.knocks off number 4 TCU. I can't wait for game day. Go UTES.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 31, 2010 6:04 p.m.

Congratulations to Coach Calhoun and the Falcons for a great game plan against the U. I Always love to watch AF and root for them always except for the Utah game. For whatever reason, the Falcons play their best against Utah. Again, great game!

Great win Utah! 8-0 and #6 nationally. All the haters are out in force, but nothing they can say or predict will take away our wins or our national attention! Can't wait for next week. I will be at the game. If we win, we will go to a BCS game because no other team poses the threat to our talents like TCU, ESPECIALLY the team down south! Haters: Get Used to it. If, by chance, we lose next week, we will still have a great year!

See you guys next week at Game Day!

Go Utes! Go Crimson! On to victory #9 against the toads!!

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:58 p.m.

I just hope the Utes don't suffer from big-head-itis in this next game. Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn is absolutely right in saying, "I know their defense is having another good year. So, you know, we're going to have to go out and play a perfect game."

Unfortunately, Jordan, "perfection" has not been Utah's trademark, even the year they beat Alabama. I'm sure Coach Kyle knows this, and I'm also sure he'll do his best to instill this truth into his players heads. What I'm not sure of is that Utah's "perfect game" is enough to get a win from TCU's "good game."

Don't get me wrong; I'm pulling hard for the Utes to win, but they're not only going to have to play a "perfect game" without their usual hiccup or two, it's also going to require luck! 'Cause if there's no luck involved (good luck for Utah, or bad luck for TCU) it'll be goodbye BCS till next year for the boys from the U of U. The BCS is highly unlikely to give three nods to non-BCSers.

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:44 p.m.

3genUTE

Appreciate the comments. My hope is that the 95% of reasonable people will drown out the 5% of idiots and some day we can appreciate that, for the most part, the same kids are going to both schools. The weenies that want to knock the other school down need to go away, or at least know that there are consequences to their actions.

It is Sunday and I am trying to be an optimist.

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 3:14 p.m.

Funny zoobs.

Didn't you get blown out at home by Air Force?

This game was clearly a big deal for Air Force as they threw out all of the stops with going for it on 4th downs and the on-sides kick.

Utah ran about 5 different plays in this game and appeared to be looking ahead a little bit, not to mention after 10 years of the same type of game, this just is not a good matchup for the way Utah plays defense.

This was however the perfect game going into the TCU game. A win with no bad injuries and a tough week of focused practice for the game of the year and some payback against to frogs.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 2:47 p.m.

Archie | 10:54 p.m. Oct. 30, 2010
    O'Fallon, MO
    "Veritas Aequitas...where's Chuckie from Fruit Heights? He's been MIA since BYU's first loss. Reminds me of a guy I knew...wouldn't come to church after BYU lost a game. Poor fellow must be considered inactive this year."
    ===

My brother Steve lives in MO. do you know him?

What an inane question.

===

Utah has to play TCU, ND and SDSU on the road, then BYU.

If you does that, they get respect.

They really did not look that good against a TEW less AFA last night.

If they earn the respect, I'll be the first to give it.

If they lose, will you be there to admit it?

• 3genUTE Chicago, IL
    Oct. 31, 2010 1:18 p.m.

Very nice effort, TheSpiker, and you mean well.

Unfortunately, many Ute fans have been stung "in their youths" when BYU was the better program, for year after year. Now, it's payback time.

Sure it's childish! It is a bitter in State rivalry

Feelings even more bitter because Utah bolted the conference, which and might have gotten BCS status had Utah stayed (and Boise joining). I wish that had happened in a way. I still say BYU was very foolish to go independent, we will see..

Here's the thing, most fans on either side secretly hope for the rival to beat the best teams, thus raising the State overall. But you can't say that out loud, and it is more fun to "kick 'em when they are down.

But remember, getting kicked when you are down can generate a huge anger to jump up and fight back 3 times harder. So even though I said BYU is a cupcake, that game will be closer because of the rivalry and the PAC10 and all that has happened off the field!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 31, 2010 1:07 p.m.

TCU at Utah will be the first-ever game of two top ten teams in MWC history. Considering the game is in SLC, and how the Horned Frogs have played there, it would be a mistake to say TCU will win this in a blowout.

AFA always plays Utah tough but Utah held on and won this game. It was a road win, and a quality one. Likely this was AFA's lost lost of the season and they should finish 8-4 (5-3).

AFCoug: I get it. You were at the game. But seriously, Utah played AFA the same as BYU? You do realize that Utah won by 5 and that BYU lost by three touchdowns? You do see that AFA's scores against Utah came in short, big-play, quick strike drives versus the nice, sustained, dominating drives they had against BYU. You did see the turnover ratio was +4 for Utah; turnovers that were a FOCUS for the Utes D against the triple option? So either you are blinded by your love of the Cougs or your hate of the Utes. Your analysis doesn't sound objective, even for someone at the game.

• Rumors Fort Mill, SC
    Oct. 31, 2010 11:51 a.m.

A little perspective.

I'd much rather be an overated top 10 team then an overated 3-5 team.

I'd much rather win by 5 then lose 5.

8 and 0 is stll 8 and 0 and is beautiful. 3 - 5 is ugly.

Some people on here have said that the Utes were exposed especially on Offense judging by this game. But I'm not sure that these people watched the game or paid attention. The U changed their entire Offence and game plan for this game running the ball over 50 in order to control the clock and keep their defense fresh and keep AF O off the field. This game showed that the U can also be a ground control team running the ball. And that when they needed stops late in the game and on 4th down they could get them.

Can't wait until next week. I think the U will win but either way a win or loss to a top 10 team is no disgrace. Even if they loose having your only loss of the season to a top 10 team is better then a loosing record. :)

U=34 TCU=21

Go Utes!

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 31, 2010 11:18 a.m.

Big surprise, the jealous coogs are out today with their little brother attitudes (more bark than bite considering how bad (barely DIVIA worthy) their team is.

• SoCalUtahFanToo Irvine, CA
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:41 a.m.

USA Coached Poll just came out...Utah is ranked 6.

Woohoo!

Next Sat: No 4 TCU versus No 6 Utah in Salt Lake City.

Tune in. ESPN Gameday will be in SLC.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:36 a.m.

The TCU game will be a game for the ages, I can't wait to see the brawl. Good job Utah defense because if anything, the offense showed their flaws this week. I said this week that the only way Utah loses is if they beat themselves but in reality, Air Force beat themselves with bad ball security. Give the defense credit. Expect the TCU game to be close until the end.

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:22 a.m.

I am a cougar fan.

I never look at U articles, but being a bye week for us I am here.

First, congratulations on the win. Any win against the Air Force is a good win. They are tough young men and never give up.

Second, I am embarrassed at some of the "cougar fans" that are making stupid comments about your team. We complain constantly about the dog pile from supposed U fans on our articles. I am very disappointed to see the same stupidity and immaturity happening here.

Utah has a good team this year; BYU doesn't. I would like to be able to cheer for Utah, but the bitter U fans make it difficult.

I will be an ambassador for change and chastise the "Y fans" that are stirring this pot of hatred. Stop Now! I doubt any of you brave, anonynmous souls have ever accomplished anything in sports. If you had you would know to respect those you compete with.

I invite any true U fans that care to come on the Y articles and be willing to do the same.

Good luck U against TCU.

• Disco Vega Oakdale, CA
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:21 a.m.

An ugly win, a W is a W and that's all that matters. Keeping the ball on the ground was a move not to reveal all the power of the air attack...next week will be phenominal! Go My Utes!!

Who cares about the tds...what a waste of time and energy.

• GoodTimes Stansbury Park, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:17 a.m.

My apologies. In my previous comment I stated the Cougs were 5-3... got my numbers backwards!!! Sorry board readers.. and SORRY COUGS.

• Just Wondering... Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:15 a.m.

Just Wondering...how many one-loss teams will jump the Utes in the polls this week? And, just wondering how many they will lose by to a real top 5 program next week?

Can't wait to see it. No one really wants to watch a car wreck...but usually you just can't help yourself!

• GoodTimes Stansbury Park, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:13 a.m.

I always enjoy posts from the UTE haters. Since the TDS has become a conference bottom feeder, hoping to get scratch out a win or two against the worst of the worst they have become a bitter lot.

Being bitter and humilated over their miserable season they ridicule the undefeated UTES. Here are a couple of reminders for the 5-3 cougs.

Great teams will have close games during the course of the season. The great teams will win those games. The UTES won a close game against AFA. Take note of the word WON.

The only stat that really matters is the Final Score.

The UTES have a tough game coming up against TCU, I'll give you that. But if you have any sense at all you'll hold your comments until after the game.

Looking forward to hearing a lot of comments.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Oct. 31, 2010 10:06 a.m.

Congrats to the Utes. Next week against TCU will be a great game but Wynn was right - Utah will have to play a perfect game given the level of TCU's defense in particular.

Any Cougs still trying to rip the Utes after the incredibly different seasons the two teams are having simply lack intelligence. I would LOVE it if the Cougs were half as good as the Utes this season. Next season will be a different story but we largely need to just shut up and ride this one out with a little dignity intact.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:41 a.m.

Utah will be fortunate to beat TCU. Utah looked average in their first game vs a tough team. Without even half the turnovers they could have easily lost this game. Utah is good this year but not as good as 04, 08 teams. Wynn is surrounded by a tremendous supporting cast this year and as a result, he has a good rating. Some key graduations this year could lead to struggles in the first PAC season.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:37 a.m.

WHat does BYU have to do with anything? I wish the moderator would eliminate all the irrelevant comments.
    And the haters, why would anyone respond to them? They are trolls (i.e. people who post things just to get a reaction). Dont give them what they want.

Utah struggled and didnt look like a top 5 team, but hey, they find ways to win.

Did you see the extra effort to cause the turnovers? It was very obvious that the Utes were concentrated on getting those turnovers. Too bad they didnt come up with a couple more.

And when TCU comes to town, the special teams will be a factor, so expect a close one. AFA took Smithson and Dunn out of the game for the most part by going for it on 4th down and then pooch kicking it when they did punt. (They even did the onsides kick thing to avoid Smithson.

• SoCalUtahFan Lake Forest, CA
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:35 a.m.

Cougarettes,

Let me sum it up for you...

Then #7 ranked OU led AF 27-10 in the 4th Q at home, only saw AF scored 14 4th Q points. OU won 27-24.

#8 ranked Utah led AF 28-10 in the 4th Q on the road before AF scored 13 4th Q points. Utah won 28-23.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:27 a.m.

A laugher turned into a nail biter thanks to some spirited 4th quarter play by the Falcons. But a win is a win. Keeps your hopes in play. Beat TCU if you want some respect. Otherwise, hello Vegas.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 9:08 a.m.

I will have to say that I thought this could very well be Utah's first loss of the season as I was checking on the scores throughout the game, but once again Utah found a way to win. It seemed like a tough game against a good team on the road. You really do have to give the Utes credit because good teams find a way to win.

Congratulations to the Utes. Next week should be interesting.

• FlyingUte Murray, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 8:58 a.m.

Utah won and you have to give credit to the AF Falcons on this one. Just when the Utes were about to blow them out they fought back. They did not quit and they faced adversity over and over again with all the takeaways. They were takeaways by Utah so get that straight. Where other teams got steam rolled by the Utes, the Falcons held on and fought. I'm so grateful these guys protect our nation. Give the Utes credit for winning on the road to the toughest road game they will face this year. When you get challenged it's how you respond. Do you lay down and get steam rolled or do you fight to hold the line. Both Utah and AF faced adversity in this one and the Utes won. That game was what college football is all about. Go Utes!

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Oct. 31, 2010 8:36 a.m.

@yankdoodle
    Three top 10 teams brought their D- game to the field on Saturday. Utah, Missouri and Michigan St.
    Utah won with probably their worst performance in 3 years. It may have been hard to watch, but 8-0 is 8-0.
    Game Utah.
    BYU brings their "A" game and lose consistently. That says volumes.

• lwc61 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 7:41 a.m.

The Utes have their hands full with TCU. I expect them to lose that one.
    Notre Dame is a win, as well as the rest of the schedule.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 7:33 a.m.

Utah doesn't appear to run zone read with Wynn, or, if they call it, he doesn't read it. I saw only traps and counters last night and frankly I think Utah's offense would have been more effective in this game with Terrence Cain, who does run the zone read effectively and does a much better job of keeping defenses off balance. I am very curious to know why Utah thinks Wynn is better.

• Tom in MS Madison, MS
    Oct. 31, 2010 7:03 a.m.

A lot of BYU morons posting on here that have only watched the Utes play tonight. The Utes sleepwalked through this game. No matter what Whit says about "one game at a time" they were looking past AFA and it almost cost them. Someone said the Utes were holding a lot (and we could talk about only one chopblock being called) - well, the "block" that opened up the long touchdown run by Jefferson was a great spinaround while having a hold of the arm on the Ute player, or Jefferson would have been caught in the backfield. I replayed it several times, and it was a very clear non-call, right in front of the white hat. I've never seen this group of officials before, and I watch a lot of college football - where were they from, Division III?

• tcom2011 Fort Worth, TX
    Oct. 31, 2010 2:27 a.m.

Good Job UTES! You will never here me (a Cougar) dog you for a win. A win is a win, each and every athlete is giving their all. Way to play all four quarters and dig in.

Next week TCU will be tough, but even your friends down south showed that a good D can keep up with them for a while. With your offense and your D I think you have a shot. I think this close win will help the guys get even more focused. I currently live in Fort Worth, so I usually go BYU first, UofU second, but I have lately started drinking purple Kool-aid from Fort Worth. Best of Luck!

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 1:57 a.m.

This is NOT trash talk, I mostly cheer for the Utes but is AFA really as good as most PAC-10 teams? I doubt it. Football next season might be tougher than Ute fans expect. I believe recruiting will improve but tough going for a few years.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 31, 2010 12:40 a.m.

AFCoug | 9:23 p.m. Oct. 30, 2010

The difference between Utah and BYU is that Utah has play-makers BYU does not.

Case in point when we were beat long play we didn't give up, made a play on the ball and FORCED three fumbles.

To say Utah won only because AFA played sloppy is delusional.

BTW Utah made the plays to stop AFA at the end that can't be any lucky then a QB bouncing a ball off a BYU defenders helmet on 4th down allowing BYU to pull off a win.

@Veritas Aequitas or chuckie or Buster
    Come on now, as a BYU fan you were cheering for the Utes to lose. If not then you wouldn't be predicting that Utah: "with losses at SDSU, TCU, and BYU".

Get over the hate and enjoy some college football as Utah makes history.

TCU #4 vs Utah #6 @RES

• Deray Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 12:39 a.m.

Air Force was a trap game, we went on the road and beat them, that's all that matters. Utah wants TCU, this game was just a formality. GO UTes

• DaRwIn Sandy, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 12:37 a.m.

BYU fans make me laugh!! Thinking that they actually have a chance against Utah. Am i mistaken or did BYU lose to Utah State earlier this year?..... The Utes obviously did not have their best game ever but you all have to remember that a win is a win. AFA gave Oklahoma all that they could handle and they did the same thing to Utah. Close games prepare teams for the big games. If anyone can remember 2008, Utah barely beat Oregon State, and AFA, then they survived a very close game to TCU. And after all of the tests that they went through they dismantled an Alabama team that earlier in the season had been heavily favored to win the BCS National Championship. Before some people make comments you should remember some of the past events and think about how you must sound... A win is a win everyone! The game next week will be intense and i predict very close. But come on everyone knows that BYU will get the beat down this year especially after the comments by a certain person. caugh.... caugh.... Max Hall....

• TucsonUte Phoenix, Arizona
    Oct. 31, 2010 12:25 a.m.

Air Force has always been a tough opponent for the Utes. This game proved it once again. Air Force is a capable team and showed it on the field. Utah has never built their teams around stopping the triple option. Next week's game will be interesting because TCU has to play on the road in SLC. It will be worth reading the posts on the board next week after the game.

• C00l Br33Z3 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2010 12:24 a.m.

Sammyg:

Really? Dude you made me laugh. Yes, tonight wwas about Utah football...but YOU are the one that is making all the accusations that Utah is a weak team. Reserve your anger because your pride has taken a hit. Are you making the prediction that Utah will lose to ND and SDSU which the same crystal ball that a lot of TDS fans were using to predict their almost perfect season with Heaps? That's why I leave the foretelling of the future to prophets and apostles. Though you would had learn that at church by now!

To all those that say Utah was lucky...lucky would had been if AFA was so close to scoring that somehow they shot themselfs in the foot and not score. Not so, Utah D worked hard. Don't believe me, replay the game and really watch the game. Offense, yes very mediocre, but a good wake up call. I will be at that TCU game, won't say any predictions, but I will say this. We WILL be loud. All you say we are over rated, what does that make you with all your pre-season hype?

• Creeper51 Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:56 p.m.

Sammyg come on man do you really think that Utah is going to go down without a fight at their home. Yes TCU might win and that would mean we lost to one of the best teams in the nation. But if Utah wins what will you think of that huh?

Also Utah won't lose to SDSU and ND because both those teams aren't as good as they claim to be, they are still quality teams but not better than Utah. BYU has no chance what so ever

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:53 p.m.

I have a ton of respect for Air Force. I'm so proud of the Utes for going there and handing them their first home loss of the season. Utah got complacent with their 28-10 lead (I know I did) and Air Force jumped all over them, but I can't believe how well Utah's defense responded to that adversity! Three stops on fourth down! Way to buckle down and get the job done! A lesser team would have completely melt down with such a momentum shift. I'm still smiling thinking about it.

I love the bitter, jealous rants from the BYU faithful on this comment board! It's hilarious to see how much THE University of Utah's success is getting under their skin! Keep the hate coming Max Hall fans. Just remember that it is just a game and that I love you. Good luck with your game against the other team in Colorado. I think your 3-5 team will need it. Cheers! :)

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:40 p.m.

Oh you Ute fans. Some of you are a funny, delusional bunch!

This story is not about BYU, it's not about all of these other teams winning and losing today, it's about Ute football and this evening the world of football saw how vulnerable this team really is.

Sure, it's very possible that the Utes might be a #5 or #6 but the reality is that it will be short lived and it won't make any difference at about 4:30 pm next Saturday when TCU issues a beat down.

With what was shown today, Las Vegas could very well be the Utes destiny this year and for years to come as well.

Not impressed. Highly overrated.

Kind of interesting to note that there is no chatter about an NC bid or even a BCS bowl after tonight's win. Worried?

Prepare for a smack down next week by TCU and then possibly SDSU, ND and who knows...maybe by Nov 27th BYU might get their act together.

Coach Whit looked a little stressed tonight, I wonder why? He's concerned and from what I witnessed, so should Ute fans.

Kiss your undefeated season goodbye!

• mm82 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:39 p.m.

I am kind of bugged by college game day final (or whatever it is called) and many others at ESPN. Utah is punished for beating AF by five. Yet Oklahoma not only beat AF by only 3 (if I remember right), but also only beat Cincinnati by 2, Utah State (!!!!) by 7 (if I remember right) and have a loss!!!! (granted, it was to a darn good team). Things need to change.

• mm82 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:33 p.m.

Like other comments posted, I too am a bit hesitant to declare Utah as a BCS caliber type team. However, I felt the same way about the sugar bowl team (remember oregon st., AF, TCU, and even NM if I remember right) but we all know how that ended (beat up on Alabama) and I certainly felt they were BCS caliber after that game. So even though I am currently hesitant to declare Utah BCS caliber, at the same time maybe they are b/c this season has a lot of similarities/feelings as the sugar bowl team.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:31 p.m.

After playing a wimpy schedule, the truth comes out. The Utes are not the same caliber as TCU, Boise State, or Neveda. An injured, five turn-over, beat-up Air Force team could and should have won this game. Talk about luck. As banged up as the Falcons are, the Cougars would have won this one. I'll be at the TCU game next week to witness the destruction of the ute BCS bowl dream.

TCU---38
    Utah--13

• Creeper51 Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:18 p.m.

Come on Ute Haters (I have always wanted to use that term.)

Anyway all good teams have close games. Just like Nebraska dropped a game against a not as good Texas team, and similar too Alabama lossing to South Carolina.

Yes Utah let some things slip but like some say the Cadets could be up 21 to 7 but I think Utah forced those fumbles and stopped the powerful option run

Defense look good again and the Offense stuttered at times.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:04 p.m.

Congratulations! Finally a quality win for 2010.

• Wildcat Ogden, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:59 p.m.

Great win Utah. Winning at Air Force is tough, period. It will be a fun game to watch next week, but what is going to tick me off is the fun police at ESPN already getting ready to try and boost one loss teams over Boise State, TCU, and Utah. They already tried to make a case for Alabama.

When Auburn beats Ole Miss (team that lost to an FCS team), it's impressive, but beating a previously ranked 25 team on the road won't be enough style points--what a crock. Funny when how Oklahoma only beats Cincinnati by 2, AFA by 3, and USU by 7, it doesn't matter, but Boise State, TCU, and Utah have to win big.

Watch the snake oil salesmen on the BCS standings show tomorrow. I guarantee you they will try and leap frog Ohio State back over the U of U if not all three (the Big Ten is a joke)--the talking heads at ESPN are starting to feel panic. Of course they will put a two-loss team in the championship game over a "mid-major", but it will be fun to see them try to sell it.

• I Will Be Till I Die Holladay, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:54 p.m.

sammyg: typical zoob to complain, in error I might add, about the officiating. You may have noticed that Blechen was playing with his hand completely wrapped. How then could he have grabbed the runner's facemask with no fingers available to grasp anything?

And the 3 fumbles? All 3 were CAUSED by the Utes, it wasn't the fluky woopsie "I missed the ball" kind of plays you've become so accustomed to in Provo this year.

Was it an ugly win? Closer than it should have been? You bet, but it was still a hard-fought well-earned win. Typical zoob, following your head coach's example - can't give credit where due. And you guys wonder why so many people, even fellow church members like me, can't stand the stereotypical Y fans like you.

• Archie O\'Fallon, MO
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:54 p.m.

I don't understand the comments crediting Utah with the win because AFA gave up 5 turnovers. 4 of those turnovers were takeaways and exactly what Whittingham has been trying to get the Utes to do. Therefore, well done on the turnover margin Utes.

btw...TCU has already turned the ball over to UNLV. Even TCU can lose the ball.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:48 p.m.

Nice try with trying to bring up the face mask there sammyg, but actually it was pretty obvious from the replays that there definitely wasn't a face mask. I was thinking that it was a face mask until the replays. Then you see that he couldn't even grab the face mask because of all the tape on his hand, wrist, and arm. And thanks to you, veritas, and others for your interest in Utah football! Glad we could win another game for ya! This loss actually makes me confident. I know for a fact that Utah will come much more ready for the TCU game. After a game like this, the Utes will be ready! All I know is that the game is going to be awesome over in RES!!! Go Utes!!!!!

• PAC Member, are U? Cougarville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:47 p.m.

@yankee doodle

Your post exposes your entire lack of game planning / strategy. Utah's plan was to run the ball, win the time of possession, and ultimately the game. Utah only threw the ball 20 times and ran 50 times.

Don't waste your time being jealous of the state's best /nation's top ranked team. Because that all your post is . . . Jealousy.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:34 p.m.

Bitter zoobs coming out of the woodwork!

Sammyg

The Utes realize that there is only one "cupcake" left on their schedule and that's byu. LOL

btw... Iowa State and Pitt both won again today. Both have winning records in their conferences. Washington got crushed again today. boo hoo coogs

Go Utes, one game at a time! TCU next week baby.

• SoCalUtahFan Lake Forest, CA
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:29 p.m.

Cougar fans,
    The bottom line...

ISU won.
    Pitt won.
    MSU lost.
    Missouri lost.
    Utah won.

Utah will move up in the polls tomorrow.

Game Day will be in SLC next Saturday when #4 TCU visits #6 Utah.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:27 p.m.

The next four games on the Utes schedule are winnable, they are also losable. Okay, maybe not the BYU game. But the Utes better take SDSU seriously if they do get past TCU. They should beat ND but you never know, the Irish might play for pride and the Y game, though not close on paper, is a rivalry game.

As for any Y fans talking smack. Please stop. I saw your school get schooled by the same team 35-14. It wasn't a pretty win for the Utes, they had it under control and then things got close. But a win is a win, and you'll need to win a couple of close ones to go undefeated anyway. Even the Cougs in '84 had a couple of close calls (Pitt, Hawaii, Wyoming and Michigan).

I'm not sure that type of performance beats the TCU next Saturday but the game is at RES so that will help neutralize things a bit.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:17 p.m.

"Balan | 8:59 p.m. Oct. 30, 2010
    West Jordan, Utah
    5 Turnover and we still beat you! This Utah team is ready for the BCS Championship game. They should jump at least 2 sports in the polls this week!"

--------

Lady, either watch the game or read the article and get your facts straight before commenting. The Falcons had the 5 turnovers, not the Utes.

----------

I know it accounted for the margin of victory, but I thought the faked field goal was a risky move, jeopardizing the health of a kicker who had hit 18 field goals in a row. It also essentially removed that as an option for a future game. Interestingly, he missed his first try after that.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:12 p.m.

Kameron | 9:01 p.m.
    "Whit was ill prepared for this game. He talked his team into believing AF was better.They were tonight. No excuses. We won but will not move up the BCS. Wynn looked scared. Need to fix some things or TCU will crush us."

===

Utash will leave this wear with losses at SDSU, TCU, and BYU.

If that was a number * team in the nation playing against a "Tew"-less backfield, then you all need to run for cover.

Fianal game against BYU... If that is all you have, be prepared for ANOTHER year of being the beat down little brother.

So far, 1-4. After Novemeber... 1-5.

How weak can you be?

And I was cheering for the Utes, but they are not that good...

Someone help me out here. Is that the number * team in the nation? Utah fans... #8???

#8???

really?

• J. Adams Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:05 p.m.

Who was calling the offensive plays tonight? Coach W. better reviews the offensive co-ordinator as well as the game tape.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:01 p.m.

yankee doodle,

Actually, Jordan Wynn went 15-for-23 with 148 yards, one touchdown. Jordan was off tonight with only 66% pass completion. To put that in perspective, it is possible that come Monday, Jordan may drop a spot from the 6th best quarterback to the 7th best quarterback. Not too bad for a true sophomore.

By the way, what is Jake Heaps ranked? :)

• MESOUTE Albany, NY
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:53 p.m.

Yankee Doodle
    How did your team do at AFA? That's right.

Not very impressive effort from our boys, but a win is a win. I have to temper my enthusiasm for the game versus TCU after seeing that debaucle against the Falcons. You have an 18 point lead and let it go in a span of just over two minutes? Come on defense!

• Y4LYFE Provo, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:47 p.m.

Great game. Utah had to rely on lots of luck from AF to pull out the win.

Utes very beatable now that they have to play teams in the top 100.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:41 p.m.

wow. i thought utah had this one locked at 28-10. never count the Cadets out. what was the Ute injury report after all the cheap shot cutblocking. good luck next week against TCU. ABC was touting the game during their broadcast of Missouri and Nebraska. Too bad USC could not knock Oregon out. but USC did show Oregon has a very vulnerable defense and Oregon's offense is no match for Utah's defense. Utah would pulverize Oregon.

• ChrisNSuz Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:39 p.m.

Utah, taking care of their business. Next stop, Blackout!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:37 p.m.

"Utes hold off Air Force"...just barely!

Utes can be beat, AFA just unlucky this evening.

Did you see that facemask call missed that probably cost the game for the Falcons. Also a nice hold or two missed as well.

And this is what the hype has been about? Different season now that the Hostess Cupcake Preseason is over.

Utes were very lucky this evening. Period.

Were it not for AFA beating themselves with 3 receiver fumbles and two deflected passes / interceptions you guys would be in a world of hurt and in a serious state of depression right now. I suppose you might be pretty depressed anyway thinking about what's going to happen next week. TCU has your number. Smack down at RES. TCU by 14 next week.

And what about that DOINK! I bet that brought back some wonderful memories.

Oh it's going to be sweet. No amount of silly fans dressed in black or Muss hollering their lungs out is going to change the outcome of next week's game.

The Utes laid an egg in Colorado. It doesn't look good for next week. GO TCU!

Great effort by the Falcons.

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:31 p.m.

I am glad we had a tough game, it will keep us grounded. We needed this to get ready for a much tougher TCU. At least TCU plays normal football...

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:28 p.m.

This was tough, we had a 18 point lead and could have made it bigger. I wish they would have called more big passes for wynn, it seems like we tried too hard to play safe. Glad we got the win on AF's turf though.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:24 p.m.

Wow, that was a lot closer than expected. Utah's defense saved the day. They can't afford to play like this against TCU. Good win though. And Yankee Doodle, though I am not a Ute Fan, I never spat my mouth until the last whistle is blown, it makes you look childish.

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:23 p.m.

Wow only 2 comments? What happened to all the Ute fans when they play a real football team.

Just got back from the game and have a few thoughts.

Wynn is not any better than Heaps. He misses his recievers, throws into coverage and holds the ball to long.

Utah played AF about the same as BYU played Air Force. Run the ball down their throat. Get beat on long pass plays by Air Force. They did protect against the outside run better than the Y though.

Difference in outcome between this game and the BYU-AF game = Air Force could not hang onto the ball. Two long passes fumbled by their recievers or AF is up 21-7 in the 1st qtr.

Better work on that passing game Utah or when you play a team who's line can match up size wise with your O-line your running game will come to a screeching halt. After that performance TCU will liklely beat you along with ND.

Congrats on the win (you did not deserve it) and good luck against TCU (you will need it).

Not so worried about the BYU-Utah game as I was before seeing Utahplay.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:16 p.m.

Nehu ... Nehu ... where are you?

I told you Air Force would play the Utes tough and you just laughed at the thought. Do you still think the Falcons are pushovers?

I'm glad Utah won but I would have preferred a 28 - 10 win. This one was too close.

• Archie O\'Fallon, MO
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:15 p.m.

I watched SDSU play AFA in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. There is absolutely no quit in AFA and SDSU was very lucky to win that game at home.

Tonight, Utah relaxed for just a few minutes when they were up 28-10 with the ball and just that quick, it's 28-23.

Great win Utes...that was a character builder!!

This one is in the books. Time to get ready for next week.

• 3genUTE Chicago, IL
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:15 p.m.

I'm sure no one on Utah's team feels great about this one. It seemed as though Air Force used the big play all night (couldn't get the game on TV), and the Ute defense obviously needs to improve for next week. The offense will play well at home.

That being said, a win is a win, and if the Utes win next week, they have 3 weak teams to beat to round out ANOTHER undefeated season, which would be the 3rd in 7 years- must be a MWC and WAC record.

It is unfortunate BYU can't provide a better last game for Utah, who will have to be satisfied with another low tier BCS opponent, since BYU and Notre Dame will be considered cupcake wins.

Poor Yankee Doodle from Layton, must be embarrassing to have to sit down and shut up after that silly rant.

• 3ULLS3Y3 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:14 p.m.

And what loss would that be, yankee doodle? When I looked at the final score, it said Utes 28-23 Air Force. Final. Final score. Utes win. 8-0. Meaning they didn't lose. No loss. 8 wins, 0 losses. Undefeated.

We got lucky, glad the D shut down AFA in the last 19 seconds, it was a nailbiter!
    So excited for TCU next week.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:14 p.m.

Congrats on the win Utes, but TCU will not be so kind in the turnover department.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:13 p.m.

@yankee
    You do know that a football game is 4Qtrs?

I am willing to bet you would love it if Heaps had these numbers:
    Wynn 15/23 148 1/1 @AFA

As a Ute those are medicore numbers, and that INT was even worse.

Utah fell a sleep in the 4th, but give credit to AFA for making big plays to get back into the game.

Overall I am happy we won, but disappointed on how the team started and finished the game. We can not play like this next week or we will get smocked at home.

Go Utes!!!

• Hotrod Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:11 p.m.

I'm not even suprised that a BYU fan comments first on a Utah related article. Your cougars not interesting enough? Also vote Morgan Philpot for Utah's Second Congressional District.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:08 p.m.

Hey yankee doodle,

Remind me how the Y did against Air Force?

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:07 p.m.

re: yankee doodle

AFA is tough.
    Oklahoma only beat Air Force by 3 points in Norman, and afterward Oklahoma was ranked #1 in the country.

• uteowl Sunnyvale, CA
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:04 p.m.

yankee doodle - you are a funny, funny zoob. Still undefeated. And I hear Heaps tried throwing some sodas to his receivers on the bus after one of your games and they dropped them too.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:03 p.m.

Utes won-- A W is a W.
    By the way yankee doodle... How's dem Cougs a doin' down south????

• Kameron South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:01 p.m.

Whit was ill prepared for this game. He talked his team into believing AF was better. They were tonight. No excuses. We won but will not move up the BCS. Wynn looked scared. Need to fix some things or TCU will crush us.

• Midway Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:01 p.m.

Utah fan here.

While this was just one game, I wasn't overly impressed with Utah. While they certainly are a very good team, I have decided they are not BCS material.

TCU will beat Utah by 10 or more next week.

Las Vegas bowl this year.

• NewMexicoUte Albuquerque, NM
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:01 p.m.

yankee doodle, 8-0 baby! Short and sweat! Right back at ya!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:01 p.m.

great test. Air Force came in with a great game plan for the first half, only the turnovers neutralized that.
    The second half, there was one lucky AF touchdown on a blown coverage, but overall, the linebackers and D-Line were VERY solid the entire second half.

A couple bad play calls on offense. Hopefully we can learn and improve. I think we needed a close game to get us back to reality.

Good to get the win over a very capable team. Jefferson looked great until the 4th Q.

Go Utes, lets keep on movin up

Big showdown next week!

8-0

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 8:59 p.m.

Way to go, Utah!!!! On a day when many top ten teams lost, it was great to see you dig down and win this game. You are class all the way!!!!! 8-0 is a beautiful thing!

• Balan West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2010 8:59 p.m.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Oct. 30, 2010 8:59 p.m.

Good call yankee doodle..... Go Utes! Way to win it through adversity! Even top teams will have tough games that they struggle through, but the best teams win those, too! One proud Ute fan here!

• UteExpat London, United Kingdom
    Oct. 30, 2010 8:56 p.m.

As usual, a Cougar posts first to the Ute board. I'm glad the Utes ground it out, particularly so Yankee from Layton can go eat his crow!

I, for one, am glad Utah doesn't have to go to AF again unless they want to. The Cadets are a tough out on your best day. Ugly, but nice, win Utes!

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Oct. 30, 2010 8:56 p.m.

Hmmm...a win is a win!!

Great job Utes!

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 8:54 p.m.

Whew!

We got it done! Great defense at the end!!

• ryansutes South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 8:51 p.m.

Good to get out of there with a win. Utah is lucky to win this one. Glad they got the turnovers finally. Every great year needs some luck. Any win is a good win.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 7:43 p.m.

Hey, Chris B, Hedgie, Ernest T. Bass and all Utesies.
    What's us with the #6 ranked QB in the world? Not even a 100 yards passing and no TD's
    OVERRATED!!!!! OVERRATED!!!!!!!!
    Can't wait for this loss. ahhahahahahaha