Bingham's Harvey Langi suspended for playoff opener

• C-wood Rocks Taylorsville, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:29 p.m.

I find it interesting because the actual rule found on page 43 of the UHSAA Handbook says that an athlete in posession, use of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco will be suspended for 2 games for the first offense and 6 weeks for the 2nd offense. Ifeel that the administration at bingham should be repremanded for not following the rules of the UHSAA.

I bet if it was any other school in the state the student would have been suspended for the remainder of the season. But because it's Bingham they will not do anything.
    I think it is time for the UHSAA enforce their rules they make or get rid of the UHSAA.

• Bigdad South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 9:45 p.m.

Old Hapa, I take my hat off to your comments. They are the best on this entire board. I feel bad for the example set here by the coach, the principal, and the entire administration. The Inoke player is as tough as nails and the Miners can still win with him.

• EagleParent Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 7:09 p.m.

As a senior, 3-year starter, and a national blue chip recruit with a bright future and so much to lose, Harvey used terrible judgement and showed serious immaturity with this incident, especially after his teammate was suspended earlier in the season for robbery. I doubt Stanford will be interested anymore. Grow up Harvey and learn from this mistake so you can realize your bright future. Be grateful you're getting a second chance.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 5:45 p.m.

Well what ever people tell you, this is not news to people in the south valley. Bingham is a win at all costs type of program, and it starts at the top!

• blucougr SLC, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 1:21 p.m.

BT1984, that was perfect. well said. Punishment has been laid down and its a done deal.I on other hand am a pure football fan and want to see the best players play. So serve the punishment and move on. I'm sure Northridge is looking forward to playing the best. Assuming Bingham gets past Hunter today. Hey, I had to say that. Good luck to all!!

• Old Hapa Warm Utah, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 1:18 p.m.

I have no stake in Bingham vs. anyone. I have three boys who I have tried to raise to be honest, hard working, law abiding men. I have assumed the responsibility to be clear on what is legal, honest and ethical with them. One of my boys broke the law and sat in jail. As much as it broke my heart, I did not bail him out. He said it was the worst experience of his life and that he'd learned his lesson because he didn't belong there. Truth is, he broke the law and he did belong there, at that moment.

It's simple, actually. Every season you let parents know that NO violation of the law will be tolerated or excused just because your kid plays football. Life lessons matter, football ultimately does not. FOOTBALL IS A PRIVILEGE! It will always be my favorite game but will never be an excuse to be or act beyond the rules of society at any level.

Establish, clarify, teach, enforce the rules. There are too many boys in men bodies at the pro level who never learned the lessons from that process in their youth. Shame

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 12:30 p.m.

Let's try to be honest about our own intentions in commenting on this story.
    Bingham fans want to believe that the test was accurate.
    Fans of any other school, especially those who are still in the playoffs, want to believe that Harvey Langi is guilty and shouldn't be playing.
    Fans of other schools would prefer to see the Bingham football team disbanded, but that's another discussion altogether.
    Coach Peck has made his decision, it's his team and the administration at Bingham supports him.
    The rest of us can applaud or decry his decision but we can't change it.

• OLD_BLUE South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:18 a.m.

Old Hapa
    What would you do? How would you handle this?

• BallJunkie South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 11:11 a.m.

See below the facts on THC/Marijuana detection times.

Marijuana Detection Times
    Frequent users blood drug test (defined as someone who smokes several times per week)
    THC: 4-8 hours after smoking
    THC by-product: 2 or more weeks after smoking

Frequent users urine drug test
    THC by-product: 2 weeks to a month after smoking (3 months for extremely heavy users)

Infrequent users blood drug test
    THC: 3-4 hours after smoking
    THC by-product: 2-3 days after smoking

Infrequent users urine drug test
    THC by-product: up to 10 days after smoking

I would guess Harvey was an Infrequent user and also has a fairly high metabolism. Along with drinking a lot of water since getting busted. I'm sure that 10 days after smoking, Harvey would test clean. The test was worthless.

• Old Hapa Warm Utah, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 8:47 a.m.

Victory at what cost? As a Polynesian, I am ashamed that yet another has disgraced his culture, let alone his team and most importantly, family. I don't care what was in the test. If your not doing something shifty, why do you have to trespass in a home under construction?
    To Chris B., as a BYU fan, albeit very frustrated this year, you can have all the discipline problems. Are you proud that they fit better at the U? Says a lot. College football is not the test. Football at any level for that matter is still just a game you play for awhile, then it ends. I have a handful of friends who have played through the highest level then have to figure out what the heck to do when it's over and they're in their early to mid 30's. That's the test.
    I hope these coaches start thinking more about the future man and less about what the current boy means in their win column. Armed robbery=2 game suspension, trespassing=1 game suspension, all = relative free pass? Lesson learned...but not a good one.

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 7:06 a.m.

Wow, it is amazing all the Bingham haters. Next thing they will be saying is that it was not his urine.

I hope that Langi figures it out before it is too late. Dude, look no further than your older brother. You only get one shot at this, if you blow it, you will have a lifetime of regrets.

Good luck to the teams that play the Miners with or without Langi, they will need it.

• KnightsFan Layton, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 1:53 a.m.

It would not show up in a test if he took it 11 days after it happened. It stays in your system for a week tops, especially if you are trying to flush it out of your system by drinking liquids. And how legit was this drug test? Was it just bought and he went home and took it or did he go in and take it at this place? And even if he didn't smoke he was still trespassing which is a misdemeanor if you are 18, Is there no consequence for that? And honestly when the cops show up who panics and says yeah I was smoking if you werent? Sounds really fishy to me, twice in one season there has been legal issues with Bingham, I know Peck is a classy guy and runs a great program but how bout some discipline? They could probably win it without him and the D-Tackle anyways.

• Football881 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 11:28 p.m.

He took the test the day after coach peck found out,and I deal with drug tests daily at my work and if he smoked 10 days prior it would show up in the test he took for sure. Some of you people have no clue.

• 4winns South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2010 11:22 p.m.

Hey, info man, I'm no expert on drug testing, but I did spend 4 years in the service, and we were randomly tested for all recreational drugs, my understanding was they all show up for at least 30 days no matter what you do to try and purge them from you system. That was in the 80's, I'm sure the tests they have now are even better. Just FYI for all the Bingham bashers looking for what ever excuse you can find to slam the school and coach's. I have a kid on the team who came home at the beginning of the week with the news from coach Peck that Harvey was done for the year. It was only after he passed the drug test that he reduced it to a 1 game suspension. Peck is as honorable as they come, and worries more about the kids in his charge (even the ones that do dumb teenager stuff) than what any of us think about him.

• Alwaysright Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 9:09 p.m.

We all make mistakes, everyone reading this has made mistakes.

The important thing is you learn from them. Don't make the same mistake again. Walk away from ANY negative influences, and make no mistake Weed-Dope or any elicit drug will take you the wrong direction.

Select the school that will give you the best future, don't worry about any local schools, do what's best for you!

• Kameron South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:51 p.m.

Get some new friends. These are not good friends. You embarass yourself, your family, your team and the best high school in Utah. Grow up! Everything must have come too easy. It can be taken away just as easy. Use this mistake to make a positive change.

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:50 p.m.

You're right about one thing and one thing only this blog really doesn't have anything to do with Utah or BYU. If you still think you're correct check the record and history books.

• SojoMP South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:40 p.m.

weber state12 -> bone up on your knowledge. UHSAA and district involved and would not have suspended them at all. Never missed a single game. Bingham coaching staff has higher ideals and expectations from these young men, doesn't mean they hold their hands, just hold them accountable. Seni missed his two games that he wouldn't have missed at most high schools in state. Harvey, if I know Coach Peck, will miss his two now. Know the facts, before you attack the program.

• PrepSportsFan Draper, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:33 p.m.

So the kid admits to using pot for peer pressure.... I'm sorry, this just doesn't pass the giggle test. Incredible stuff out there at Bingham where winning is certainly #1 at all costs. Wowser.

• weber state12 Kaysville, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:14 p.m.

Thats two players this year that has got off easy. Quality program they're running down there....

• The Truth Serum Bluffdale, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 6:40 p.m.

So he had a week to go in and test. hmmmmm

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 6:39 p.m.

Usually peer pressure would have him not admit to using the drug.

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 6:38 p.m.

Harvey is luck he doesn't play for San Juan he'd be done if he did. Last year a San Juan basketball player came clean on his own about smoking marijuana, wanting help and to take care of the problem. For his straight forwardness and courage to get help he ended up losing his senior year of basketball. If I'm not mistaken every USHAA athlete signs a contract saying they'll abstain from alcohol, drugs, and tabacco. It also says if they break that contract they will lose their eligibility for the remainder of that season.

Good kids make bad choices but still should have to take responsibility for their actions.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 6:05 p.m.

Cris B.--
    This has nothing to do with byu vs. utah. But since you brought it up, there is a huge difference between a team and a program. Look at the top 10--TCU, Mich St, Mizzou, Utah and Wisconsin are NOT top ten programs. Compare the program, not the team, with Florida, Texas, Ohio St, USC, LSU, etc. Utah is not a top ten program. And as for BYU-- Go ahead, right on here, name me 70 programs that are better than BYU. By about 35 you'll be looking pretty foolish, because BYU is AT LEAST a top 25 program. You utes crack me up...

• Particulars of no Consequence Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:49 p.m.

Highly unlikely that anyone will beat Bingham this year, but I would have much more respect for Bingham's coach, principal, and football team if they would do it without Langi and Fauonuku.

• johnny pigskin Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:33 p.m.

As good as he is, Bingham wins the whole thing easy with out him! He will look good in Red?!?!

• OgdenPA Ogden, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:32 p.m.

I do not remember the specifics, but as I understand it, 10 days later the urine test would be negative unless he were a regular user of the drug. So..he could still have smoked that night and expect to have a negative result.

• Info Man South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:27 p.m.

10 days later and whole lot of water will help clean out the THC . Should have gotten a hair sample.

Maybe he didn't smoke it but it sure sounds fishy.

Not the smartest decision. Hope he learns a valuable lesson.

I played ball with a kid who would have had a great carrier in baseball....he never made it to college. Started out smoking pot and drinking- ended up in prison.

Be smart Harvey and choose better friends. You have way to much to loose.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:26 p.m.

Idiot Harvi!
    Really???? you got 4 weeks to go in a season that all you and your TEAMATES have worked so hard for, I have hung out with harvi before, good good kid, but agree he has some people in his life who shouldnt be, and that is a bad influence on him, he is clean according to the test, but common dont be hanging out with kids who happen to be smoking the stuff. Dont make the mistake any athelete, charish these times, anderson from bingham got kicked off lastyears baseball team, good thing coach sato was not in charge or he would not care.
    Bingham kids need to figure it out, and stop hanging out with kids on the west side hood area. But sadly that is where all the talent in utah is! ha GO MINERS

Will not affect them other then not being able to dominate someone, there running backs are all good and you still have a MOBILE QB who oh ya can throw!

Go miners!

• OLD_BLUE South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:14 p.m.

Hey Moog I thought your name was Robert Craig. At least thats what it says on the other newspapers blogs. Your not a Bingham fan, your just another trouble maker. That being said I find it truly sad that all of these youth just don't get it. They have all this talent and oppotunity and they just toss it away. The other thing is I have a hard time believing that it only happens hear in South Jordan. Makes you wonder how prevalent the problems are statewide.

• RobertC West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:14 p.m.

A very bad choice made by a good kid. I think sufficient consequences.

.Bingham will win the championship.

• mtseatss Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Wise up Harvey, make better choices - especially your friends and perhaps we can look forward to seeing you play up on the hill in red with the potential to play on Sundays.

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:08 p.m.

wow. That's good that he's clean. But I know ur gunna get scared when the cops show up. But saying something so bold like that? I just wonder why the cops said it smelled like it? But tests are very accruite. Good for him.

• Muss Man Draper, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:05 p.m.

Harvey deserves credit for testing clean, admitting his mistake, and submitting a very sincere apology.

Who among us never trespassed, in one way or another, while in high school?

Best of luck in the post season, Harvey! We'd love to see you in red!

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 3:57 p.m.

Clearly just a kid who's learning about life.

Best of luck to Harvey whether he goes to Utah, BYU, or wherever. I'm sure he'll be fine and continue to be a great football player.

• Moog South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 3:57 p.m.

ouch... Thats gonna leave a mark. Harvey should not have been there. He did the wrong thing. There is no excuse for it. He will be punished like any kid on that tteam sould be. No special treatment.

...That being said...

...Bingham is still going to win the championship and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. Bingham is the best Utah High School football team ever! That is the way history will remember them. No amount of whining is going to stop it. Bingham will be #1. Bingham works harder, has better coaches and a better group of good kids than anyone else. 2010 5A State champs. It does not matter what you say. so get use to it detractors and whiners...

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 3:51 p.m.

Tough choice ahead

Top 10 program in the nation
    Proven winners that get up for big games and big SEASONS,
    Best coach in the state
    No worthless rules
    Coach that knows football is #1

Bottom 50 program in the nation
    Coach that thinks football is #6 priority
    Students who part time as players
    Team who's fastest guy runs a 4.9 with the wind behind his back

Tough Choice!

Can't wait to see ya in red Harvey!