PAC sends strong signal for Huntsman presidential run

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 7:31 a.m.

He would do well in a party that is not oriented to religion and right wing extremism.

• lookbeyond Moab, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:07 a.m.

Mitt Romney is my choice. I didn't like Huntsman as Govenor.....He is too tight with Obama and I won't support him even if Romney doesn't make a bid for the White House. Romney has a good track record, and I believe Steve Covey could help with his organizational skills to get this Country back on track from it's race to Socialism! Both men are respected in the Corporate world, and they show confidence in being able to get the job done right!!

• govtrumbull Sparks, NV
    Oct. 30, 2010 10:31 p.m.

Wasn't it Armand Hammar that John Huntsman said was his "mentor?" Yes it was. It was quoted in the Church News several years ago.

This makes me have questions about John Huntsman. Hammer knew the Soviet leaders and did business with them, his Occidental Petroleum Corp., rand the most dangerous oil rigs in the North Sea and one of his largest platforms was the worst in history as far as deaths (known safety problems cused accidents} and he had unlimited access to the Kremlin. Hammer taught John how to work with the communists. Glenn Beck says he is a great man, but what about Hammer?

• JM Lehi, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 2:06 p.m.

Another thing Obama taught us is that religion, even a questionable pastor, doesn’t play a major role in American voting.
    I’ve never believed the “hanging by a thread” comment meant an LDS President, but I’m starting to think that Huntsman would be a great influence for good in the world, and having that might be worth being blamed even more (see above comment).

Additionally, it’s good to pray for guidance, as Palin etc do, and God still speaks to His children, but Apostles etc are called to lead the Church, not the Country. Presidential callings come by vote. LDS generally feel God inspires all leaders who seek, regardless of affiliation, but God won’t go against logic or inspired Constitution, and we are to reason before and after prayer.

Hopefully someone will explain to misunderstanding Christians that, while LDS imitate original Biblical Christianity, we still accept those who don’t as Christians. We do feel philosophers creeds caused a lot of torture and stumbling, but we believe ALL good people are inspired by God, all “rewarded for works” and can be saved by grace regardless of affiliation.

For specifics search official LDS sites, or FAIR etc

• JM Lehi, UT
    Oct. 30, 2010 12:10 p.m.

I’ve never wanted an LDS President, mainly because some people already blame us for everything in Utah, imagine if they blamed us for all the ills in the world. But, Huntsman just might be the person to turn the world around.
    If Obama can overlook Huntsman’s Conservative thinking then non-LDS Christians can overlook their misunderstanding of LDS and vote for the best person.
    Hopefully, if religion becomes an issue, he’s prepared to help foster understanding.

Almost every peculiar LDS belief was early Christian, temples etc.
    It’s basic Biblical belief that God was once a "man" and is exalted. As LDS I want to shout that God the Son was born of Mary, suffered and died only once for sins (didn’t lay His body down again).

None are ever equal to God and Christ, but we agree with Jesus that those receiving the word are called “gods” (John 10), and through grace we’re joint heirs with Him to the throne.

Jesus created all things, in sky, earth, etc, all are of and by the Light of Christ (DC88) and angels etc are God’s children and Satan fell, but was among "sons" (Job1etc) : )

• LeonardL Midvale, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 10:35 p.m.

If Jon Huntsman JR Could do for The United States what he did for Utah, the country would be a much better place. I really like Mr Huntsman he gets things done, not just empty words. He is very smart an excellent leader in so many ways. If he ran for President I would not only vote for him I would love to help him in any way I could.

• madison Magna, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 10:11 p.m.

Some one asked who should be Republican leader and Presidential candidate. I think there are now a few good choices: Ron Paul, Rand Paul,Scott Bradley, Bauchman, maybe Alan Keyes, Steve Forbes, or one or two others. McCain - No; Romney No; Huntsman No. Palin No.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 8:29 p.m.

@history nut
    The only thing thats going to be history this next tuesday is the progressive democrats that have spent all of their rich dads inheritance. Now they will have to pay the death tax.
    ps. if someone voted no 20 to 600 times to stop this insane congress and president, then he has my support.

• Ken's 2 cents Salem, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:52 p.m.

I'm interested to know who all of these "true Republican" commentors would like to see as the chief executive. I can't think of someone more qualified than Romney.

Could it be Sarah Palin? I don't think I could watch her in her first debate for fear of embarrasment.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:36 p.m.

Sorry but Jowers and crowd just can't get it through their minds that Conservatives are the answer to the problems.

As has been said before, Huntsman is no different from McCain and I plugged my nose while voting for that RINO.

@History nut: can you explain why anyone should vote yes for policies that they believe will be destructive to our state and nation?

But you have it backwards, it will be the Dems who are voting No, because the Repubs in the House will be sending bills over to repeal all the unconstitutional legislation passed by Pelosi/Reid and signed by Obama.

The House will send over bill after bill that Obama will have to veto which will make his agenda on the record and show Americans that Obama truly wants to destroy the country.

No on Huntsman. No on Obama. No on Pelosi. No on Reid.

Yes on Freedom. Yes on Liberty. Yes on personal responsibility. Yes on the Constitution. Yes for America.

• History Nut Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 6:47 p.m.

He'd have my vote though I'd prefer that he come back to Utah and unseat Mike Lee who will, by then, have proved that his only accomplishment is to have voted no about 600 times.

• Bobo Magna, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 6:07 p.m.

The global elites probably like Huntsman because of his former membership in the CFR, his blind adherence to "free trade" politices, and his willingness to be a puppet for Obama.

• dogchow1 Murray, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:24 p.m.

Only one benefit for him as president. He can communicate with the new owners of our country already.

• Adver Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:13 p.m.

No Way Junior!

I would vote for Senior in a minute but Jr. in not the same type of man.

I think he is best suited for where he is now..China.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 3:40 p.m.

Based on comments here, I think two things are readily clear.
    1. He'd be a great candidate for everyone who wants a moderate. Heck, this democrat would have a hard time voting against him (assuming he doesn't take that hard right turn Romney did out of convenience).

2. I thought this state loved him? Whatever happened to that? Seems the far-right has taken hold of the party.

• VA Saint Chester, VA
    Oct. 29, 2010 3:36 p.m.

I'd really like to see a politician who ISN'T on the Council of Foreign Relations run for President.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 2:59 p.m.

I think he noticed early on that you are required to be a Republican in Utah to get elected to much of anything so thats why he ran Republican.

Tell me something he did that was "republicanish".

And having bags of money doesn't help!

The new Republican party probably WILL NOT include all the RINO's.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 2:40 p.m.

Love his dad, but this son is misguided. When he bought into the global warming scam, I was done with him!

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Oct. 29, 2010 2:09 p.m.

LDS liberal, I truly don't know why you continue to pretend to be LDS or to continue to be so critical and hateful towards the church.
    Saying he's running for President of the USA not president of the church.? What does that even mean?
    If leaving the church was such a great move on your part, then I must say that your new "religion" has not made you a better person.

• Gracious George West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2010 1:03 p.m.

While I can understand why he would be a good and electable candidate, I still believe Huntsman's faith will be an issue down the road if he chooses to run.

Regardless, he is likable and looks presidential--and he is conservative enough to get elected in Utah, yet moderate enough to be accepted nationally.

His experience in China gives him a significant background in that part of the world, and his knowledge there will be advantageous for him should he decide to run.

He will not need an advisor to speak Mandarin for him--he speaks it himself.

It will be interesting to see how his political career evolves over time in 2012 and 2016. I feel he will have a significant part to play.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 12:25 p.m.

If Huntsman aspire to be president of the US then why is he buying a house in DC? Doesn't a residence come with the job?

• Danish American Payson, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 11:56 a.m.

I say keep him in China. We don't need anymore RINOs but maybe by then he could run as his true party, Democrat.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 11:34 a.m.

Junior is just another John McCain/RINO! He had a better chance 2 years ago than he does today! The conservatives are throwing out the RINO/Types....Huntsman would do better running as a Democrat!

If John Sr ran he would get my vote, but John, JR is not a chip off the ol block!

• Ok, but Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 11:04 a.m.

I think we really need a leader with "True Grit" right now. Things like religion, color, gender,and a long line of etc, do not matter. Mitt is a business man. Unless John Wayne comes back to life I am all for Mitt.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 11:00 a.m.

Given the fact that Mr. Obama's popularity is so low, and with another year to further erode the Democrats willingness to follow him for a second term, I think Mr. Huntsman will have a great chance as a democrat challenger to him in the primaries. He is running as a Democrat isn't he?

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    Oct. 29, 2010 10:59 a.m.

This is very interesting. I would like to know the State of Utah's financial statistics after going to a four day work week for federal employees. Did it help?

I think that Mitt lost his chance with what happened in MA.

• Billy Bob Provo, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 10:46 a.m.

Definitely is not my top choice, or even near it, but he would be leaps and bounds better than Obama, or any candidate with a "D" after his or her name for that matter.

• UVmod Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 10:36 a.m.

Hey Zebedie (and others), if Huntsman's moderate politics are so out of touch with the vast majority of Americans, then how did he win re-election so easily in supposedly the most conservative state in the nation? Why couldn't the ultra-right figure out how to silence him? Face it, tea party (the right's equivalent to Michael Moore); being really loud doesn't prove you're correct or in the majority.

• UVmod Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 10:29 a.m.

I really liked Huntsman as governor; anyone who makes the extremists on left and right (i.e., half the posters here) so mad is a great guy in my book.

I just hope that if he runs, he stays who he is. Seeing successful moderate Republicans like McCain and Romney pander to the ultra-right makes them look like hypocritical politicians. Of course, so does Obama trying to pretend to be a moderate.

Republican party politics being what they are, however, Huntsman's moderation & Mormonism will still prevent him from being nominated. How about an independent VP? Bloomberg/Huntsman 2016!

• zebedie Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 9:55 a.m.

No! Never! We need patriotic, freedom loving candidates, who support the Constitution! This PAC will be comprized soley of Washington beltway elitists. Even tho Jr. aligns himself with the Republican party, he is actually a Progessive. We need to start now to organize and develope oposition to any campaign Jr. is a part of! I guarentee Jr. will start making conservative promises and speech! At least Harry Reid is open about his Liberal/Progressive ideas.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 9:20 a.m.

I agree with those who essentially are saying they feel this Huntsman is not the one we would vote for...though I suspect non-LDS moderates, even some conservatives would see him as more electable than Mitt...this Jon is just too ambitious, claiming the right motives, but at core, just wanting to be President.

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 9:12 a.m.

@Emajor - McCain was never a strong conservative. He tried to leave his own party!

I think Huntsman would do an adequate job as Secretary of State, possibly Commerce. But, I think Romney is slightly more qualified at playing the politics game. He was a republican governor in the most liberal state in the country, so he obviously knows how to work both sides.

Frankly though, I'm not impressed with either one of them. I always thought Mike Leavitt would have made a good president.

• zebedie Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 9:06 a.m.

Jr. is just another Harry Reid without the beady eyes, pinched face, and D after his name. Jr. is not a Conservative, he is a Progressive!!! This PAC could ONLY be supported by Washington beltway elites. They are totally out of touch with the vast majority of the American people! We need to start developing a strong and organized oposition to Jr.'s future candidacy!!!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 9:03 a.m.

Jon Hunstman Jr. would be the first Republican I could vote for since Ronald Reagan - which would be 32 years ago.

He would be running for the President of the United States of AMERICA -- not the President of the LDS church .... for crying out loud, get over it!!!

You ultra-puritan Conservatives need to wake up and deal with reality and the rest of America,
    ALL of America.

Ambassador Huntsman is moderate RIGHT - just where he needs to be to BEST represent all 307 million of us.

I'm sorry if he doesn't reflect your little imaginary bubble world of quilting and Home Teaching, were drinking a Diet Coke or having 2 piercings per ear are considered a criminal offense.

That is called extremeism, and the Prophets have warned over and over again that extremeism is the worst possible offense in society.

• madison Magna, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 9:00 a.m.

The fact (simultaneously sad and hopeful) is this:

"The Government that is ahead of the peple will inevitably be dragged down to their level as the Government that is behind them will in the long run be dragged up.... The noble people will be nobly ruled, and the ignorant and corrupt ignobly."

Samuel Smiles: Self Help: 1859 (Chapter One)

Of course a struggle is always involved between the corrupt and the noble. The solution for now is, I think, States' rights over federal intervention. If we could only accomplish that, the feds would be greatly restricted in the harm they can thrust upon individual states.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Oct. 29, 2010 8:57 a.m.

Here is my ideal candidate and I'm not sure one is out there who fits the bill:

1. Balanced budget - even if it includes some strategic short term tax increases along with serious budget cuts. Willing to endure balanced pain to get our financial future back on track for our children.

2. Absolute transparency in political donations of both individuals and organizations. No dollar donated without public identification of the source.

3. Social moderation. Allow states to decide issues like gay rights and legalization of pot without federal intervention regardless of outcome.

4. Moderate, reasonable, thoughtful, collaborative and able to actually solve problems without extremist rhetoric and behavior - a little like both Reagan and Clinton were able to do.

Is there any politician out there that fits this profile?

• Hubble65 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 8:27 a.m.

The good news is that the ultra conservative base in Utah doesn't impact national politics. The better news is we need people who can govern from the center and poll after poll shows that is what the majority of people want in this country. Obama's problem is he went left, far too left of center and now he and his party are going to pay for it. We'll see how the next group governs as well. Huntsman did a fine job during his time here but part of that is we had record income. He bailed before the truly hard times hit. So in a way, he is unproven. Yet by 2016 this recession will be over and we should be back on an even keel so Hunstman will look even better then. Yes, I could see it happening.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 8:05 a.m.

Huntsman would certainly be better than any of the other Republicans being considered at this point. Winglish (6:33 a.m.) is absolutely correct in his comments and assessment. Huntsman is the ONLY Republican potential candidate that I could support.

• TaipeiModerate Provo, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:51 a.m.

William A:

Mitt Romney worked his way up to CEO in Bain and Company consulting (a meritocracy if I've ever seen one). He then founded Bain Capital... I think he has accomplished a lot without his father's help.

• dumprake Toquerville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:47 a.m.

Huntsman is the way wrong kind of person we need as president. He is a liberal, establishment, keep doing things the same way, kind of politician. I would not support him. What is needed is a strong constitutional, anti-establishment, non-career politician who will oppose all the secret combinations who now run this country.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:36 a.m.

Obama was brillant by sending this candidate to the far side of the planet. Thus effectively guaranteeing himself another 4 years in 2012.

Our party has no other alternative that will beat Obama. Sarah is busy stirring up mud and being a tea party supporter one day and a GOP the next. Have we ever had a female Dan Quayle before?

Romney is a proven failure and Huckaby is waiting in the wings to again spoil his shot.

Had Huntsman been here he could have been groomed for his shot in 2012 but now he willhave to wait til 2016.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:25 a.m.

Put me down in the pro-Huntsman camp as well. I have had enough political extremism, enough of people thinking their political wing is fighting some kind of holy war, enough belligerent devotion to party line.

John McCain was a reasonable conservative before the 2008 election. But as a presidential candidate he became more extreme to appeal to the fringe elements of the right wing. Everything reasonable and appealing about the man disappeared. The addition of Sarah Palin to the ticket pretty much nailed that coffin, and rightly so.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:13 a.m.

He's not even on the long list. Mitt's resume would win every time, but people can't get past the LDS part. And there is absolutely nothing Romney can do to remedy the situation.
    Huntsman is a lesser talent and lesser known.
    Plus, he has gone over to the dark side by working for Obama/Clinton.
    He might appeal to the young voter with his rock group/dropout resume.
    In short, he's got strength in all the wrong places.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:07 a.m.

Never! This guy is just too out of touch with our Founders' principles. I'd never consider voting for him for any political position again. Like Romney, he's too much for big government, which has always been the problem, not the solution to this countries sinking ship. I'd rather die fighting against what these progressive promote than to live under their oppressive agenda.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 6:33 a.m.

He'd have my vote! I thought Governor Huntsman was just excellent. He governed moderately and has good common sense. The nut job extremists in the far right wing don't like him and neither do the crazy extremists in the far left wing. Perfect!!!

• JMT Springville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 5:25 a.m.

William A hit this on the head. He shares the worst possible traits of both "W" Bush and Obama. He supports debt spending, he STRONGLY supports cap and trade, in fact he supported the Kyoto Protocols when 95 Senators voted No, to include the most liberal, "Green" Senators in the country like Boxer, Schumer, Clinton, etc. He is further to the Left than these zany leftists. How can you be further to the left of them???

The good thing, if he does run, it gives me an excuse to take a year off of work and do everything I can to see that he loses. I would rather have Obama in for three terms than Huntsman in for one.

Holy cow does this make me sick! And his sun tan is worse than John Boehner's if that was even possible. What the heck is he doing that he gets a sun tan like that?!

• Summerdonna HB, Ca
    Oct. 29, 2010 3:09 a.m.

No way!!! I would never support this man and I am a member of his same faith!! No if his father would run that would be a different story!

• William A Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 1:03 a.m.

This is great, awesome, excellent. Because what we really need is a president who shares all the worst, unconservative beliefs of that great GOP success story, George W. Bush (another go at amnesty, anyone?) and who is exactly like Mitt Romney in most respects - Mormon, the son of a prominent businessman, etc. - except for the part about having any real accomplishments of his own.

Go get 'em, Jonny.

Realistically, my guess is that Jon Jr. is trying to set himself up to be the next Secretary of State. Surely he understands he has no shot at the presidency?

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 12:40 a.m.

I agree with DN Subscriber's opinion of Huntsman as a presidential candidate, however it should be noted that if Huntsman chooses to run it will be in 2016. Even if nominated he would not face Obama, who will be running for reelection in 2012.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 10:03 p.m.

No, no, a thousand times no!

Huntsman is a nice guy, with good hair, and while a great ambassador, he is not presidential material. He would be great as Secretary of Commerce, or some similar position but not as leader of our nation!

The beltway elites and country club crowd may like Huntsman, but he proved in Utah he is not a conservative, and just another big spending, big government "moderate."

The squishy RINO wing of the Republican party learned nothing from 2008. The Republican base will never again suffer through a Presidential campaign trying to pretend they have any enthusiasm for "moderates."

McCain lost in a landslide and would have fared far worse if the base had not turned out to vote for the conservative part of the ticket, instead of just staying home.

Watch the election results on Tuesday, and then tell us that we "must pick a 'moderate' in order to win elections. That is just not true, except in the minds of the moderates who are complicit in many of the problems we face today!

Nominating Huntsman would ensure the reelection of Obama.