Utah

American politics are becoming an embarrassment, Jimmy Carter says

Comments

• Did I Say That? Rawlins, WY
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:46 a.m.

Obama = now the worst president evah!

Carter = a close second

• sbc Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 30, 2010 1:35 p.m.

I believe Pres. Carter is a good person and I agree with many things he has done since leaving the presidency.

With that said, though his comments about the embarrassment and the division are correct, he did nothing but make it worse with the remainder of his comments. He did nothing but blame, just like Pres. Obama, the Republicans!?!?!? Can he not remember that they have major control of the House and the Senate? They have had all the votes needed to pass anything they wanted. What the liberals (some Democrats are a lot more moderate) and Pres. Carter can't seem to get, is the people that put them in office don't want what they want. It is the American's that don't want them in office, nor Trillion $ debt.

I thought he had a little better head on his shoulders. I am a little disappointed.

• bluesman503 south Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2010 2:16 a.m.

Mr. Carter is a great American, was a great president and is certainly a fine upstanding man who walks the talk. Anybody who says otherwise is either ignorant of the historical facts or is letting their political agenda cloud their judgment.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 4:10 p.m.

Who would want to read a book to remember the sorry years of 1976-1980? 22% interest rates and inflation, phony gas shortages, Iran hostage fiasco, etc....

Carter is the SECOND worst president in American history. Top honors as THE WORST goes to Obama. Can't wait to read his book!! NOT!!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 1:42 p.m.

Pagan,

What do your tired posts about repub efforts to stop wastefull, misguided bills that don't address the problems have to do with carter?

Those bills you mentioned? They missed the point. I know you have misunderstand my analogies before, but we'll try again. If your kid is hungry, you buy him food. The bills the repubs tried to stop were like buying school clothes for your hungry kid. The clothes do something for the kid, but don't meet the need. The bills the dems crammed through, were made to look like they were doing something, but they did not address the need.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2010 11:18 a.m.

Carter was actually very effective. His austerity measures stopped runaway inflation. His Camp David Accords ended war between Israel and Egypt and still hold true. His forbearance in the hostage crisis is a prime example of patience, while all the warmongers wanted to attack Iran thus guaranteeing the deaths of our hostages. And as an ex-president he has continued to do good on the world stage instead of retiring to a lazy luxurious lifestyle as the Bushes have. I greatly admire Mr. Carter. A superb example of good character.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 10:50 a.m.

To Joe Watts - Yes Mr. Carter was/is decent and honorable, but totally ineffective as the chief executive. His embarrassing political remarks since leaving the presidency continue his legacy of incompetence.

• JustAnotherAverageGuy Holladay, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 10:20 a.m.

I'm a Republican and disagree with much of what Carter did as President, but all these comments are doing is proving that his statement on the current political atmosphere is accurate.

Until we all, candidates and voters alike, can get past the finger-pointing and name-calling, we will continue to wallow in this quagmire where nothing of significant value gets done in Washington unless I or my party can lord it over the other guy, nyah-nyah-nyah.

Time to pay attention to what Kennedy said: ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Oct. 29, 2010 9:47 a.m.

"President Carter is the most decent and honorable president we have ever had, and certainly the best ex-president we've ever had."

Ulysses S. Grant was a very decent and honorable president too. Unfortunately his decency and honesty made him an easy target for others who manipulated him for their own gain. Bill Clinton on he other hand was an effective leader, as was Newt Gingrich, but any honest person would have to question their decency. I have no doubt that Carter is a decent human being. I have no doubt that Obama is a decent human being. But just as much as a decent human being we need effective leadership. I think Ronald Reagan managed to be both decent and a good leader, and although there will never be another Reagan (and of course Reagan himself wasn't perfect), I want to believe that somewhere out there is another decent human being who is also an effective leader with a backbone. Carter is right about the way the political climate has deteriorated. I think if there truly was a decent politician who is also an effective leader, he/she would stick out like a sore thumb.

• WinSum Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 29, 2010 9:04 a.m.

Yes they are Jimmy....and you helped them become such...

Both parties need to clean house. The same old buddy system has worn out it's welcome. I for one, am tired of how the Dems scream the Republicans are the part of NO while they RAM things through on a strictly party vote......

We The People have had it with party over country.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 8:56 a.m.

The above comments on President Carter comments are a demonstration how politics is a rah rah, our team versus the other team and spin EVERYTHING in our direction. A call for civility is drown out by the foot-stompers covering their ears!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 8:46 a.m.

Emajor, cannot defend jimmy so you call names?

Carter is the best friend socialist dictator Hugo Chavez has; without carter vouching for a rigged election, Venezuela might now actually be free.

And of course, he supports Palestinian terrorists and gives legitimacy to north korean despots.

He should stick to building houses; I commend him for that, but his comments and positions on foreign affairs only serve to remind us just how inept he was.

• Chester Brough Providence, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2010 8:30 a.m.

President Carter told us as President, we are not what we once were, that we needed to make sacrifices in every aspect of our lives, money, employment, and his addresses were the most depressing comments in American History; he could not delegate appropriately, provided over 18% interest rates for mortgages, and terrible unemployment ratios. He could not solve vital international issues, as he was perceived as weak, and the hostage nightmare in Iran for 445 days was shameful. A man who has not supported other Presidents, but demands respect, interferes in over seas, contrary to prior Presidential protocol cannot not criticize anyone. He could not even work with TIP O'Neal, from Mass., Speaker of the House, something President Reagon did very well? Why would anyone listen to this self-centered man.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 8:28 a.m.

USAlover | 3:13 p.m. Oct. 28, 2010 -
    And that is coming from the worst President in our Nation's history!'

...I thought Obama was the 'worst president in your nations history?'

Gosh, you guys need to keep track!

Regardless I agree with Carter. Our politic's have become a joke.

Parties need to stop putting their elections...

before the needs of the country.

* 'Republicans kill Senate jobless aid measure' - By Andrew Taylor - AP - Published by DSNews - 06/24/10

Line:
    'The rejected bill would have provided $16 billion in new aid to states, preserving the jobs of thousands...'

* 'Senate Republicans again kill bill for jobless aid' - By Stephen Ohlemacher - AP - Published by DSNews - 06/30/10

Line:
    'Without an extension, 1.7 million of the 7 million people who have been without a job for at least six months will have lost their unemployment benefits by the end of this week, according to the Labor Department.'

* 'Republicans block small business lending bill' - By Stephen Ohlemacher - AP - Published by DSNews - 07/29/10

Line:
    'The bill would create a $30 billion government fund to help community banks increase lending to small businesses...'

Good day.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 8:22 a.m.

I think he blew it, but he is a nice guy, puts out great efforts with his Habitat for Humanity work and means well. I do admire his austerity examples while in the White House, unlike the current resident who imports $100/lb beef from Japan for his twice weekly bashes, and the extravagance shown by madam Speaker and her weekly jumbo jet rides (all on the taxpayers dime). They need to cut back a bit as the times aren't so good and show the right example like Jimmy did.

• Radical Moderate West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 7:47 a.m.

My oh my. Such thin skins. Look at all the people who bristled at Mr. Carter's words and then dramatically proved him correct. No call for bi-partisan solutions, only justifications and rationalizations of their own "my way or no way" beliefs. Of course the name-calling exists on both sides. I remember reading comment boards stating that the previous president would go down in history as the worst president ever. Those were no more called for than most of the comments on this board. I have been trying to raise the tone of my own comments. I invite others to do so, also. And, by the way, welcome to Salt Lake, Mr. Carter.

• Joe Watts Holladay, UT
    Oct. 29, 2010 12:17 a.m.

His decency is a sharp contrast from most of the people who have posted responses on this article.

What an embarrassment! And they hide their indecency behind anonymous labels. Oh, that the Deseret News would require identification of posters.

• Candidate Jackson Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 11:29 p.m.

Sorry about the misspelling. "Hatered" should be "hatred."

• Bobo Magna, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 11:23 p.m.

Carter's blind faith in liberal orthodoxy led to his failure in office, just as it is in Obama's case.

• Candidate Jackson Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 11:20 p.m.

George Washington weighed in on this long ago. In his farewell address, he said, "Let me . . . warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party generally. . . . It is a spirit not to be encouraged."

At times, I wonder if we should do away with political parties. They do engender hatered. Democrats often see no good in Republicans and Republicans often see nothing good about Democrats. We divide in two and come out fighting.

-- John Jackson, candidate for Utah House District 41 (stretching from Herriman to Sandy

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 10:35 p.m.

Yes, Mr. President. The embarrassment began with your presidency and has continued with your mindless forays into politics since leaving the White House. Stick to building houses for the homeless.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 10:14 p.m.

444 Days of Americans held hostage by Iran under Carter. Embarassing? You bet, and the root of many of the problems we confront today.

• B Logan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 10:14 p.m.

Is Carter for real? I can't believe the hypocrisy!

From 2007, Carter commenting on Bush's foreign policy:
    "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history" How is that HELPING during a time of war? Bush made some big mistakes, but at least he the guts to stand up to terrorist thugs.

I can't understand why Carter can't accept the fact that he had a lousy term as President and the people got rid of him. Go away.

• Earl Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 9:38 p.m.

Carter was one of the worst presidents ever...except for the rest of them. Mark B had it right. He was not a warmonger like the others, and he was brutally honest at times, unlike just about every other president. You can't blame him for the economic problems, either. They started with Johnson, increased with Nixon and Ford. The man who raised interest rates was not Carter, it was Paul Volcker, head of the Federal Reserve. By doing that, he stopped inflation and prepared the groundwork for another boom under Reagan. Carter did the necessary dirty work, Reagan got the credit. One day, people will recognize his greatness. He's one of the most honest men to ever occupy the White House. The world would be better if we had more like him there.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 8:35 p.m.

What a bunch of children on this discussion board.

• patriotandmore Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 8:16 p.m.

I have to agree with Jimmy on this one. And, he was a better president than the community organizer is. But, that isn't saying much.

• CJ Murray, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 7:32 p.m.

How well I remember my college days when I ignorantly believed the "hope and change" nonsense that came from this farce who turned out to be the worst President in history so far. I campaigned for him and thought he was the answer to all of our problems, what a disaster he was!
    Reminds me of our current disaster in the White House. The only bright spot for Carter is that our current "hope and change" imposter is going to take over the "worst President in history" title convincingly and leave no doubt when he is done.Carter should thank him.
    Speaking of how nasty politics have become Jimmy should look no further than his own party who are already accused of voter fraud in several states just a few days before the election. I can't believe anyone would spend ten minutes talking to him or one dime on his worthless book.

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 7:27 p.m.

Nice guy. Terrible President. I dont know where people get worst President in history from. What about FDR and Woodrow Wilson? Carter is nowhere close to those guys. He was very uneducated about being President like Bush and Obama who I would also rank worse than Carter. The curruption is much worse now than it was than. Too bad we dont have anther Ronald Reagan. I'm LDS and I would never vote for Mitt Romney. That dude is no Reagan. I would vote Sarah Palin in a heartbeat over Romney.
    Sarah Palin is the only real Libertarian minded Republican out there.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    Oct. 28, 2010 7:03 p.m.

If Egbert has information about secret ops or dirty tricks led by Walter Mondale, I'd sure like to hear about them. The fact that Mondale and Cheney held the same office means nothing by itself.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 28, 2010 6:56 p.m.

With all the negatives being thrown at Carter by the right-wingers on these posts, you'd think he was currently running for office...

• Jay_ Seattle, WA
    Oct. 28, 2010 6:46 p.m.

'ol Jimmy is perfectly qualified to speak on embarrassment in politics! Wasted presidency then; repeated futility today.

• Embarrassed in Seattle Redmond, WA
    Oct. 28, 2010 6:45 p.m.

During Former President Carter's term, I worked as a general contractor. Mortgage interest rates rose to over 20%. Home values tanked and Savings and Loans were closed down wholesale. Families lost their homes, their livelihood and some all that they had. Does this sound familiar. In 1983 I built a home in the Oregon "Street of Dreams", similar to Utah's "Parade of Homes". There were 13 homes and 10 of the builders had to file for bankruptcy. Some of us remember the politics of that president and the businesses and the families that were devastated by the government choices. Yes, some people earned high interest rates on CD's. That is because no one had any money to buy them. But everyone else paid 18-20% interest on their mortgages. There were no ARM's during that time. It was a disaster.

• md Smithfield, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 6:17 p.m.

Carter is the expert in embarrassment. His entire presidency is one. And, Obama is much worse than the peanut boy.

• Barack Obama Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 28, 2010 6:15 p.m.

I do agree about all the negative campaigning but that's what has been shown to work unfortunately. If it didn't, politicians wouldn't do it.

• Ridgely Magna, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 5:54 p.m.

Wow, I can't believe the venom in some of these comments. Say what you will about President Carters brief term in office, but as a Statesman, Humanitarian, and frankly one of the most Christian role models I can think of, he doesn't deserve this kind of mudslinging.

• rustopher West Valley City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 5:45 p.m.

Actually I have to agree with Egbert. Carter appears to be a stand up kinda guy. But the comments about those "mean" Republicans not helping out is strange. For the past two years haven't both houses of congress been controlled by Democrats? That being the case couldn't he just get everything done he/they wanted?

He is right though, politics sure seem to be much more abusive as the years go by.

• Billy Bob Provo, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 5:44 p.m.

Well, at least this is a topic Jimmy should know a lot about, seeing as he has a lot of experience with being an embarrassment himself.

• David B. Cedar City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 5:36 p.m.

It's a coin flip here. Who will be deemed the 1st and 2nd worst president in american history.Will it be Obama #1 or Carter at #1.Anyway You can't blame republicans on anything in the last 20 months.The dumbocrats have had complete control.

• EgbertThrockmorton Layton, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 5:36 p.m.

I think Mr. Carter's charitable activities since leaving office have been OUTSTANDING, much more than any other Democratic Party member. While I disagree with what he did in office, he is certainly an "expert" in political embarrassment. Mr. Carter needs to be remembered for his long charitable actions, instead of his tenure in office. Kudos to Mr. Carter and Mrs. Carter for their "retirement" activities. For the uniformed that "think" Mr. Carter's Vice-President, didn't have a "bat cave", they apprently are not students of history at all. Mr Mondale was the Democratic predecessor/Bat Cave-Commandant to Mr. Cheney's antics. Revisionist history can't be disguised as anything but the tripe that it is.

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 5:29 p.m.

I really think Carter was a mediocrer president at best, and what he's said about Israel lately is just inexcusable.

But I have agree with President Carter on this one, but only to an extent. I do agree that sometimes, the negative personal attacks are over the top in modern elections...and both sides are guilty. However, I think he falls too easily for the fallacy that the left loves to accuse we conservatives of, i.e. pining for some mythical "good ole' days" when everything was polite and gentlemanly in politics. In reality, such a time has never really existed in America - our politics have always been pretty rough & tumble, I think partly by design. In the 1800's people were occasionally beaten into hospitals on the floors of Congress! That hasn't happened in awhile...

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    Oct. 28, 2010 4:58 p.m.

Carter and Ford didn't lob exploding shells at each other in their'76 campaign. He didn't lie, didn't lead us into a useless war, did not generate deficits nearly as large as his successors, helped bring at least SOME peace to the Middle East, and has consistently showed a Christian attitude over a long period of time. He even went against his OWN church to insist that Latter Day Saints are Christians. Yes, his administration had problems, too, but at least his vice president didn't use the office as his own personal neocon Batcave.

• ida-coug Pocatello, ID
    Oct. 28, 2010 4:55 p.m.

Mr. Carter needs to realize that the hate runs on both sides of the isle. I would bet it you asked him what needed to be tuned down. He would say that it only comes from the right. All I have to do is think of some of the hate that was spewed and is still spewed about pres. Bush. "oh but that's okay". Disagree with the current potus and you are a racist. If you disagree with a "certain party" then you are an evil "hate monger" Politics probably aren't much different than 30 years ago. We just have a much better outlet to hear everything that is said. Mr. Carter would rather have me compromise my principles just to get along with the leading party. Sorry, won't happen. Mr. Carter is probably a good man with principles but he was still a lousy president. I don't vote for someone hoping that he will compromise when he gets in to office.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Oct. 28, 2010 4:49 p.m.

Carter says our "current" politics is embarrasing?

Doesnt' he realize that many of us were "embarrassed" when he was in office?

Carter: Nice guy. Horrible president.

• Murray Dad Murray, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 4:42 p.m.

Exactly, justaguy - hiding in anonymity behind a username, lobbing judgements is easy.
    Offering possible solutions - not so much.

• justaguy Out There in, WI
    Oct. 28, 2010 4:26 p.m.

The fact that most of these posts focus on Carter's presidency just proves his point, missing his point completely. This country can't fix its problems as long as the condition Carter describes prevails. Its easier to rag on someone that to put forth solutions. And it takes courage not found among many candidates to implement solutions that would really work on our real problems. What a sad state of affairs.

• Utah Observer West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2010 4:24 p.m.

I can't believe people still have overriding negative thoughts about President Carter. Though he may not have been a great president, he has done more since then to gain the respect of many in the nation and the world. Thus, the hundreds of people who came to the book signing. Too bad there are still extreme partisan people in Utah who can't give him credit for the good he has done and continually dwell on the negatives. Welcome to Utah, Mr. President. And Dick Cheney, you are most welcome too.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 4:24 p.m.

He should stick to building houses for the poor. He is pretty good at that.

Other things, not so much.

Congratulations, however, on no longer being America's worst President.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 4:15 p.m.

He's only "embarrassing" because his party is losing.

It probably will cease to be "embarrassing" if/when his party ever starts to win again!

• newsy Richfield, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 4:12 p.m.

uhhhhh! Mr. Carter, YOUR administration was the real embarrassment. By the way, Pres. Obama is currently the president and this is NOT an embarrassment?

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:59 p.m.

It takes an embarrassment to know an embarrassment.

• belgie Tualatin, OR
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:53 p.m.

I can't believe that I actually agree with Jimmy Carter on something.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:32 p.m.

Carter ought to be feeling pretty good...he didn't die known as the single worst president in history?

He will die known as the 2nd, thanks to Obama!

• Mr.Reality Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Take a hike, Jimmy.

• MajMarine Providence, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:28 p.m.

"Americans don't realize how dramatically our political atmosphere has gone downhill," Carter said.

Actually, we do.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:27 p.m.

I agree with Jimmy Carter on this 100%. I have to wonder though if he would include all of the names that Sharron Angle in Nevada has been called in his assessment.

• sniggy Payson, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:24 p.m.

However you could get 19% interest on a 1 year CD while he was in office. Now you get 1%. I'd vote for Carter if he'd run just to get rates up. I respected him as our President but thought he blew it overall.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:13 p.m.

And that is coming from the worst President in our Nation's history! That's sayin' somethin'!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:10 p.m.

Embarassment? That is Carter calling the kettle black!

In Sunday School a couple of weeks back the teacher asked for some inspirational people...someone said "the Savior", another "Pres. Hinckley", then another quipped "Jimmy Carter", To which I added, "Dick Cheney"....the brother still hasn't spoken to me!

• Digbads South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:00 p.m.

Its nice to have Carter around to remind me of the worst days for America--his time in office.