Utah

Mormon church joins forces with Operation Smile

Comments

• Jimmy James Bronx, NY
    Oct. 28, 2010 5:00 p.m.

This is really cool. I for one hope this is the beginning of something much bigger, being that I really hope to see the Church someday become a big part of the Global Health Scene. To clarify, I'm talking about more than donating money to causes like this or as they already have done with measles. I'm talking about actually training Mormons (both local and foreign) to serve as health professionals and utilizing those that already are health professionals to serve more "medical missions". I know this is already done in limited amounts, and I wouldn't expect it to replace proselyting missionaries, but nonetheless, but to do it on a large scale would be really cool.

Think about it, if BYU founded a medical school, given the Church's world wide presence due to our missionary efforts (and just sheer number of return missionaries fluent in foreign languages), transitioning to global health would be a very easy next step.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:50 p.m.

To "LDS Liberal | 1:22 p.m." wow, you don't even try to hide your deep hatred of conservatives on this one.

If you look at philanthropy in terms of dollars given, time spent, and blood donated, I hate to one again prove your totally and completely wrong.

There are multiple stuides that have proven time and time again the conservatives give more time, money, and blood than liberals do. See the book "Makers and Takers" by Peter Schweizer. Who looked at the US as a whole and found liberals to be materialistic, angry, and not charitable. He also found that liberals lie and are less honest.

His study can be backed up by the 20/20 story titled "Who Gives and Who Doesn't?" They also found conservatives to be more giving.

Again, we can see that liberals are tightwads if you read "Bleeding Heart Tightwads" in the NY Times. In that one the author was supprised to find out that liberals are tightwads.

Also, FYI, Tithing, by definition is 10% of your increase. Your Temple Covenants do not mean that you give 10% in all those boxes. You have covenanted to give 100% to the church_when_asked.

• Jocelyn South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:21 p.m.

Whoa Nellie, You are certainly are a certainly on your high horse today. This is such a good, kind story about helping others. Why do people like you always have to bash? It does not matter what faith it is behind it. It is a great blessing to these children and their families. Maybe if you gave a little more you would not be so miserable.

• Ted H Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 3:03 p.m.

Silly LDS Liberal,

You're not LDS. It's ok. We don't care, but its curious why you would want people to think you are.

Interesting that the LDS church is able to give so much money away if the great majority of the members(being Republican as we all agree) skipped over that line as you suggest.

I'm also curious where you heard that living temple covenants means giving 10% in all those boxes?

I'd love to read up on it. Thanks!

P.S. It really is ok that you're not Mormon. We couldnt care less

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 1:22 p.m.

Jeff R. | 2:18 p.m. Oct. 27, 2010
    Sheridan, WY
    I'm glad to see our tithing dollars going to a great cause.
    ==============

It's not from "Tithing",
    but that other little box;
    "Humanitarian Aid"

hint: it not in bold type, and it's the 6th line down from the top -- right between "Book of Mormon" and "Temple Construction"

It's the one conservative Republican Mormons tend to skip over the most -- since they tend to view the poor and needy as lazy & free-loaders.

I'll remind you - 10% Tithing is just the MINIMUM.
    Living your Temple covenants means giving 10% in ALL those little boxes.

• Keith43 Highlands Ranch, CO
    Oct. 28, 2010 12:38 p.m.

It's refreshing not to see people coming on here slamming the Church. I'm grateful to have the resources to be able to be a part of it.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 28, 2010 12:00 p.m.

Where the LDS Church has a world wide presence why would they feel the need to limit their assistance to just the USA? They have assisted many different countries in times of need.

Well meaning folks like Dixie Dan should be encouraged to donate to the charities of their choice if they are concerned about where and how the LDS Church focuses their efforts.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 11:43 a.m.

To "42istheanswer | 9:51 a.m. " the poor here are already taken care of. Have you ever heard of the Shriner's Hospital? That is one of many hospitals around the nation that provides care to people that cannot afford it.

The needs of our nation have been met by charitable organizations, and now they help other.

• Beam Me Up Scotty Layton, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 11:28 a.m.

The love expressed by all the donors that made this possible should inspire us all.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Oct. 28, 2010 10:03 a.m.

Great cause, and great contribution. As a member of the church, I couldn't be more proud! Re: "B-Town to A-Town," I loved your post. Thank you for your help/assistance. What a personal experience for you.

• 42istheanswer SLC, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 9:51 a.m.

I agree Dan. Not that the need in these countries doesn't need to be addressed. But what about the people here in the US?

• Demisana South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 9:50 a.m.

@Dixie Dan - when was the last time you saw a child in the USA who had a cleft palate? I think in over 40 years I've only seen 2 - and both of those later had surgery. Either private insurance, Medicaid or donations virtually ensures that any child here will be taken care of. Primary Children's is not the only hospital who does charity work. Not to mention we have the doctors to do it, many of these poor countries not only don't have the money, they don't have doctors who can do it.

What we call poverty here is wealth in countries who are actually poor.

• Jeff R. Sheridan, WY
    Oct. 28, 2010 9:03 a.m.

Yep, misread it about tithing dollars, my bad. Still a great cause. And Nellie, those that call us a cult need to take a harder and my serious look at what our church does and the vast amount of resources it has for causes like this.

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    Oct. 28, 2010 8:13 a.m.

Great idea but why not start in the USA first? There are thousand of children without insurance or any means of financial aide who also need this help.

• John Adams Miami, FL
    Oct. 28, 2010 7:37 a.m.

This is an excellent example of what the Lord meant when he talked about helping the poor and needy.

Like Ted said above, we don't need government reaching in our pockets.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Oct. 28, 2010 5:05 a.m.

This is just a good thing.

A facial deformity need to be fixed and the younger the better.

Self Esteem and even Social Standing are at stake. Overall good development of the child, and being able to get the best education that they can get.

Limited at best by culture and funding to be able to go to school but being ashamed to go to school is a
    very good thing.

The Countrys that the Church chose to work with are fairly progressive.

The only way to get aid to the people with out much of it being stolen, is to bring it there yourself in the form of a service.

Good for the Church, good for the kids.

You can be a Mormon Techncrat and say its Not Tithing and be right. However in all giving and Tithing at some leval.

In the LDS Church we can more or less say where it goes. Look at the Tithing Slip.

I am always sure that 100% of any money I give to the Church is used properly, I can cannot say that of any other way of giving to include directly.

I people that help kids with medical problems.

• B-Town to A-Town Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 27, 2010 10:14 p.m.

I am a high school student who has been involved with Operation Smile for almost 3 years. I recently had the honor, privilege and opportunity to go on an Int'l medical mission to Amman, Jordan with OpSmile this last spring. As a member of the church, this story touches my heart even more, as my passion and involvement for both has and continues to change my life forever.

While 104 lives were given a second chance at life this March, over 300 were sent home for hopes another mission could be funded so a 45 minute surgery could be provided (free of charge) for their child that faces cruel judgement, social exile and many health problems from their clefts.

Now maybe they will get that chance.

In my experiences with OS, I meet hundreds of students, nationally/int'l-y.. many are so unaware of the church- I'm glad that this article shows a little light about missionary work/humanitarian work the church provides! :)

OpSmile changes lives- Kathy Magee is an incredible individual; I've met and talked with her several times. This is such a great article! Thanks DNews!

• Mary E Petty Sandy, UT
    Oct. 27, 2010 5:48 p.m.

What a wonderful gift to give these children! Thank you Brethren for your goodness and humanitarian use of these sacred funds. I have been a member of the Church for over a half a century and am thrilled we have these opportunities to share our widow's mite, our bounty, and our talents with others through such reputable and honorable partnerships.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2010 3:58 p.m.

I wish the Federal government could understand that there are people left in this nation with a heart and willing to hand out from their own pockets.

We don't need a government to reach in our pockets to give handouts.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Oct. 27, 2010 3:36 p.m.

Not tithing Jeff. Read the article. The money came from the humanitarian aid fund.

Great article about a great cause and it makes me want to donate to the humanitarian aid fund.

Gob bless these kids who need help!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Oct. 27, 2010 3:16 p.m.

Jeff, according to this article (and church policy) humanitarian funds, not tithing dollars, are used for such efforts. This article does make me want to contribute to the cause. I didn't realize the scope of the need for such surgeries.

One may question how such a large donation can be made by a cult, as the LDS Church is called by less informed people? (See today's DNews article on Mitt Romney and Nevada politics or just ask that Huckabee dude.)

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 27, 2010 2:25 p.m.

This is a noble cause... kudos to the LDS Church.

• Jeff R. Sheridan, WY
    Oct. 27, 2010 2:18 p.m.

I'm glad to see our tithing dollars going to a great cause.