Utah

Poll shows Corroon ads give boost to Herbert

Comments

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 19, 2010 5:27 p.m.

I wish Corroon would have spent more effort telling me about himself, his goals, and his plans, and would have spent less effort giving me his opinion on Gov. Herbert.

Corroon already knows what everyone else has known for a long time. He's not only going to lose the election but Herbert is going to win big time.

• Larry Willard, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 10:43 p.m.

Republicans are exactly what is wrong with Utah.

• ScottLiberty Salt Lake City, utah
    Oct. 18, 2010 10:34 p.m.

Considering that the only time people see the names of the third party candidates is in SOME of the polls. How can they ever get any votes?

What do they stand for? Why are they running? Why won't they get coverage?

Part of me wants to vote third party just because the two party system is a joke, but I wish you'd give me a balanced view of the choices, instead of just what the two lead ponies are saying.

• Gracious George West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2010 5:41 p.m.

If you go negative in Utah, you will almost always lose.

Of course, we wouldn't expect Peter Corroon to realize that since his win in the Salt Lake County mayoral election was a rare exception to that rule.

It will come back to bite him in the long run. At least he is smart enough to try and yet have a political position to fall back to when he loses.

I hope we keep Gov. Herbert around for a while. He has the potential to be one of the best governors our state has seen.

• Claydude Ogden, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 5:35 p.m.

The question that still hasn't been answered to the satisfaction of most is "Where did the state (UDOT) come up with an extra $13 million to pay off a disgruntled bidder"? The populus only hears that we need to cut back, tighten our belts, and work through the state's financial problems by doing with less. Education took a hit as well as the retirement of all State workers and teachers. Having no political affilliation one way or another (I am an Independant), I find this banter between both candidates particularly counterproductive when it comes to the real issues. And regardless of who is blaming whom, we still want to know: just where does the State come up with an extra $13 million to pad their UDOT budget for any lawsuits or disgruntled contractors in these hard economic times? And if the Gov didn't know about it...how come?

• utahshadow Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 4:54 p.m.

Stanfunky:
    Tell me you wouldn't be testy if everything that anyone else did wrong was turned to being your fault. He has given solid responses but people like you and Corroon refuse to listen. UDOT was responsible for the settlement and had nothing to do with the Governor. Herbert wasn't responsible nor did HE claim to have saved the tax payers money on it. He answered the accusations and so did the Director of UDOT. Didn't you listen? It was a UDOT decision made by Njord. Not the Governor. How much more clear do you want it? So tell me where there was no solid defense nor deflection?

• stanfunky Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 4:31 p.m.

Before anyone gets all excited about this article, remember that surveys and their results can be interpreted in many ways. I would like to see the full statistics of the survey, especially since it's such a small sample size. Herbert's campaign has been really testy about everything brought up by Corroon, without any solid response or deflection of the accusations. I would like to see Herbert come out and explain the $13 million and how he saved Utah taxpayers a costly lawsuit for many millions more, or whatever his logic was. If he does, it will give him a landslide victory and turn opinion in his favor. Ignoring it and giving soft answers won't.

• Live From the Swamp Holladay, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 3:54 p.m.

Corroon should sack his campaign manager. He's given Peter nothing but bad advice from the start. Peter is s smart guy but he is working with people who obviously don't have a clue.

• Lifelong Democrat Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2010 3:47 p.m.

RE: Guy with A Brain?

Define liberal

Wanting to raise the State's education requirements is not an idea I would consider as liberal.

Remember: Last in the nation!

• utahshadow Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 3:45 p.m.

Pagan:
    You are stating comments that are innuendos and headline grabbers. Corroon has not come clean about his own contributions because as he has said "he is following the law and doesn't have to". But since he can point fingers at Herbert, he's doing it. Well, that finger may come back at him. The Governor has been given information about Corroon that he chooses not to use because he wants to debate on what they propose in running the state. Corroon doesn't even know the BLM signed off on oil drilling rights.
    Lifelong Democrat:
    The money that was settled by UDOT (not the governor) could not have gone to schools. It is a separate fund. Too bad you believe Corroon and he doesn't know any better. He should have done research rather than sling mud.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Oct. 18, 2010 3:24 p.m.

A liberal, negative Democrat is losing in Utah?

Good!

My faith in my home state is still intact.

Remember in November!!

• Lifelong Democrat Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2010 3:21 p.m.

I don't consider Mayor Corroon's ads as negative, but I suppose it's like labeling all Demorcrats as liberals. $13 million would have served a better purpose in the State education budget. I guess it's all about perception. I will still vote for Mayor Corroon as I haven't been able to grasp what Governor Herbert has done for this state.

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 3:18 p.m.

RE:Pagan

Point well made. So it is further to your point that this is what I want to hear more about. Stuff exactly like this. I'll say I'm only mildly active as a political participant and all that has received headlines is Rob Blago comparisons. You have communicated to me better than Corroon has and all you did was post a multi-paragraph article on here. If you follow just the general news I have heard very very little about what Corroon OR Herbert are planning to do or have done. Give me substance as you have Pagan, but stupid comparisons which mean nothing to me are not worth the paper or Mac space they are written on. That was my thoughts when I read the Blago stuff. Although I tend to lean conservative I am not opposed to a candidate who has superior ideas be they democrat or republican. Corroon just isn't giving me that.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 2:23 p.m.

Let me try this again -- I've been censored every time I posted this before.

Corroon is being blamed for being a whistle-blower, exposting ethical problems in the governor's office. That is a good thing to do. He should be praised, not condemned, for shining the light of day on what's been happening. That's not negarive campaigning in any way.

• Missus Midvale, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 2:20 p.m.

I voted for Mayor Corroon because his opponent was still slinging mudd up until the day of the election. I will NOT be voting for Mayor Corroon this time for the same reason regardless if he has stopped slinging mudd prior to the election.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 1:36 p.m.

Question | 12:37 p.m.,

You claim I am carefully manipulating the information...

and yet, I provided date, source, author, title and quote.

I apologize if you think I'm not giving 'full disclosure' in this case, but I think that has less to do with me.

Let me be clear. I care, what Herbert feels. His platform is the same as Corroons on this blended, depleted uranium...

however the fact is, 5,000 barrels of the stuff made it to Utah.

Prove I am manipulating this information.

Also, you yourself admit, more research needs to be done.

And yet, again, 5,000 barrels wait on Utah soil.

So 1) Herbert has failed at keeping this blended depleted uranium OUT of Utah. 2) We do not know if it is in 'acceptable' radiation levels and

3) I did not manipulate or craft any information that you could not find yourself.

At this point, it's all opinion. You think it's fine. I do not.

That is your opinion.

Howver the fact is, depsite the same campaign promises and platforms as Corroon....
    Herbert did not keep this radioactive waste out of Utah.

• Rainman Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 1:16 p.m.

I voted against Huntsman last time and I was looking for a reason to vote for Corroon because I'm tired of the same...um... stuff every time. But you messed it up Pete. Comparing Herbie to Rod Blagojevich just lost what credibility you had.

• Abe Sarvis Cedar City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 1:13 p.m.

Too bad we don't have a binding "None of the Above" ballot option.

• runwasatch Ogden, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 1:12 p.m.

Once again the Dems demonstrate their only true capability...personal attacks, stretched half-truths, and blatant lies.

Fortunately, most Americans have finally opened their eyes and realized what the Dems have to offer...nothing!

Mayor Peter should be ashamed. I am a life long Repub and HE HAD MY VOTE until all of the negative adds and childish tantrums.

Peter looked like a complete idiot when Herbert asked him who issues the drilling permits that Peter Cartoon was accusing the Gov of issuing to campaign donators...and Cartoon answered the govenor issues the permits. Herbert corrected Cartoon and informed that the Feds issue the permits, not the state. Seems like basic information a candidate for Gov might want to understand before making wild accusations.

Peter is done, the election is over long before the first vote is even cast.

First Rocky, now Peter. If I were a democrat in this state, I'd be wondering if the gene pool isn't getting very shallow among dems!

I am impressed with Sam Granado...maybe at least one dem will get a vote from me.

• DMH Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 1:05 p.m.

My biggest problem with Corroon is that he keeps saying that he has a 10 year plan to improve education, but I have yet to hear what is in this plan, and in the meantime, he is accusing the Governor of not making education a priority. This accusation is completely false since the Legislature sets the education budget and it takes up over two-thirds of the entire State's budget. The only way that we are going to get more money for education is for the Legislature to either raise all of our taxes significantly, or cut other programs significantly. Since the general population doesn't like either of these approaches, what do you expect them to do? Utah is actually doing better than most states in the nation, so we should proud of what our government has been doing so far, because it could be a lot worse.

• Milo P Otis West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 12:54 p.m.

No one called me and I voted for Peter.

• Question Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 12:37 p.m.

Pagan,

You didn't fabricate what you posted. But you parsed VERY carefully the entirety of the information out there to exclude anything that didn't make your case and carefully avoided well known statements where Governor_Herbert made it perfectly clear that he also doesn't approve of accepting "blended_waste" or accepting higher levels of radioactive waste.

It was a good spin, but if you pretend it represents the whole subject... it falls flat.

Fact is... Herbert has basically the same position as Corroon on accepting higher levels of radioactive waste.

We can debate the depleted_uranium_shipment, but the fact is... Gov Herbert was instramental in blocking it (after learning it may not actually be level-1 waste after all).

That topic needs more research before we decide if it's really level-1 (the lowest commercial level of radioctivity). If not... it's not acceptable.

Corroon said... "This is just a snapshot in time, and there's a lot of things that can happen in two weeks and we're still getting our message out."

I hope the message is more than the "Herbert steels from kids, he stomps kids brains out and eats them" balony campaign so far.

• Ed Meyer Kanab, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 12:27 p.m.

For me, character is perhaps the most important thing I look for in a governor. Look at the ads and form your own opinion regarding which candidate has the greatest degree of character... then vote for him.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 12:22 p.m.

Corroon is a liberal....and if we have learned anything from Obama...it is that LIBERALISM FAILS!

I will never vote for another liberal...ever!

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 12:20 p.m.

#1 lowest per pupil what we spend

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    Oct. 18, 2010 12:07 p.m.

As a Republican (a former county chair), it would be hard for me to vote for a Democrat as governor of my state.

But if the Republican incumbent had received over $80,000 in campaign contributions from a contractor that was awarded a billion-dollar road project on highly subjective criteria, had personally met with that contractor twice, and later claimed to have no knowledge of a $13 million payment to keep the second-place bidder quiet, I would be forced to conclude my party had held the governorship for way too long.

As a Latter-Day Saint I always want to believe the very best about anyone...especially members of my own church. I'd like to believe Utah government was above corruption.

But as a former GOP gubernatorial campaign aid assigned to investigate corruption in UDOT way back in 1972 under Cal Rampton, I have to tell you Utah governmment stinks to high heaven. It did than and it does now. That campaign refused to go negative for fear Utahs would not believe the truth.

Shades of the Salt Lake Olympics corruption before Romney.

Utah government is no positive advertisement for the GOP or the LDS Church.

• Walt Nicholes Orem, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 11:39 a.m.

Someone in the Corroon campaign - a trusted advisor of some sort I guess - gave Mayor Corroon the advice to go negative. Whoever they are, they should now be fired. If the Mayor fired that person publicly, and apologized for the damage that was done I think he could pick up 15 points in the polls. (I think that the people are just looking for ANY excuse not to vote for Herbert.)

As far as comparing Herbert to Blago - that was just stupid. In fact, it reflects the slash-and-burn of Chicago politics. It is Corroon's advisors, and not Hebert, that are doing things the "Chicago Way." I wonder if Corroon got any of this advice from the national party?

"All politics are local" Tip O'Neil used to say. Corroon needs to campaign the Utah way - whether he likes it or not.

• Digbads South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 11:16 a.m.

Corroon has solidified his position in my mind as a mudslinger. That, combined with his weak ethics displayed by the semi-legal police tax make me really want to work to make sure someone else is elected as our next County Mayor.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 11:11 a.m.

Corroon had two things working against him; he's a Demo. in a VERY DOMINANTLY Republican state.

He raised taxes....(fees).

Now he can add a 3rd thing: He runs negative campaign ads.

• holybovine Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 11:11 a.m.

Fact: Negative campaigning NEVER works.

Hanksboy - I agree with you. Corroon has OUTED his character.

I have directed 3 landslide winning campaigns even when the candidate had dropped in the polls below his opponent. Sadly, the way Corroon's campaigning is going now, he's going to lose. I'm a democrat who wants a democrat as Governor, but not this way, not when Corroon is playing this way.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 10:39 a.m.

‘Matheson, Corroon oppose Utah accepting blended N-waste’ — By Amy Joi O’Donoghue — DSNews — 10/17/10

‘Herbert's spokeswoman, Angie Welling (sic) also added that if standards cannot be met to ensure the health and safety of the public, the depleted uranium that has arrived in Utah will be moved elsewhere, according to an agreement brokered with federal regulators.’

Herbert has allowed 5,000 barrels of blended, depeleted uranium waste into Utah. His 'defense' is that more has not come.

And yet, we are unsure if it is even safe.

Corroon has been against it.

This may sound like mud slinging.

However, I have not fabricated any of this. It is all based on facts, printed by this very paper.

Vote as you like. Research the canidates.

I know were my vote goes.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 10:38 a.m.

The fact is simple, when you can't beat a Conservative successful platform, the thing to do is slander the candidate. When that backfires, YOU WIDEN THE GAP, then you lose even worse than you would have otherwise. Too bad!

• dave31 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 10:33 a.m.

I listened to the debate between the two candidates as they discussed public school funding. Coroon had much to say about Herbert's alleged failure to properly fund education. Unfortunately, Coroon neglected to mention what he would do to rectify this. Will he increase our taxes to do this? If not, what existing programs would he eliminate in order to put more funds into education? It's easy to criticize, but much more difficult to suggest a solution.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 9:55 a.m.

How can two men with the same political beliefs, but from different political parties run against each other? Make a fuss and hope something sticks!!

• Wasatch Al West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 9:46 a.m.

Do you remember when Herbert implied that Corroon was trying to destroy the LDS seminary program and that his children attend "Catholic" schools. Isn't Herbert playing the "religion" card? Herbert seems to be in over his head as governor, even letting UDOT pull off the $13 million dollar giveaway with little oversight. We need a stronger governor.

• dumprake Toquerville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 9:42 a.m.

Plus...Corroon is a Democrat, and because of what the Democrats (Obama/Reid/Pelosi/Matheson) have done to this country, I will never vote for another Democrat--ever! They should all be ashamed of themselves.

• UteExpat London, United Kingdom
    Oct. 18, 2010 9:04 a.m.

This isn't specifically a comment on this race, but I do wonder why the Des News continues to use Dan Jones and Associates for its own polls when Dan Jones is retained by one of the campaigns it is reporting on. Are you not worried about conflicts of interest? I know campaigns well enough to know that pollsters are not independent parties viewing the state of the race. They have agendas, too. Let's say the negative campaigning was working. Wouldn't Dan Jones (Herbert's pollster) have an incentive to make Caroon's camp think it wasn't working? or to make people who are responding to Caroon's negative campaigning think that their neighbors are not? I wish the Des News would find outside pollsters for races when Dan Jones has taken a side.

And, for the record, I am a Republican and don't have any gripes against Dan Jones and Assoc.--I just wish we had more independent reporting.

• itsaconspiracy Provo, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2010 8:53 a.m.

I thought the Rod B. comparison was about as mature as an elementary school ground scuffle. Sometimes I just wonder at the intellect and wisdom of our politicians, especially someone like Corroon. Most of us expect a lot more than that.

• regis Murray, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 8:48 a.m.

Gary Herbert may not be impressive, but he is effective. Give me a workhorse over a showhorse any day.

• LifeLongUtahn Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 8:45 a.m.

Two weeks is a lifetime in a political campaign, my hope is that both candidates will continue to reach out to the genearal population and inspire participation. It is hard to inspire when mud is being flung, the electorate is disillusioned by politics that lack hope and vision.

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 8:33 a.m.

I was very open to listening to what Corroon had to say because frankly I have not been over impressed with Herbert but, for better or worse, I do prefer a candidate who sticks to the issues. Comparing Herbert to Blago is in my opinion ludicrous and even if it wasn't, tell me what you believe Peter, tell me what you are going to do. So far all you have said is what is so wrong about Herbert but that says nothing about what is so right (or left) about you.

Stick to the issues, very simple. It is a bit refreshing that the negatives haven't worked because there is nothing more lame than when both candidates engage in total negativity as we don't learn anything about what they are going to do.

• Ex-Pat of Zion Lititz, PA
    Oct. 18, 2010 8:14 a.m.

Double standard in Utah (and elsewhere) still going strong. I don't agree with negative campaigns, but the right is waging a no holds barred assault on the democrats.

The new republican (doesn't matter whether in or out of the Church)reminds me a lot of the king men. Leaders on the right are not doing a thing to help the "chief judge" and "glad in their hearts" at the failing policies.

The excuse "we're doing this to protect our children's future" is lame. First, what you ARE teaching them is a lack of respect for authority. Democrats aren't immune (re: Rocky)either, but remember when your kid snaps back at you the source of that education. Second, living on the edge with respect to spending (democrats)or natural resources depletion (republicans) robs your children of a secure future one way or another.

Admittedly broad generalizations, but the net so cast is, in my opinion, representative.

• GuitarGuy Layton, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 8:13 a.m.

They are both terrible candidates, IMO. What a sad state of affairs we are in with regard to our local politics. I intend to vote for the independent candidate purely on priciple.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 8:11 a.m.

I have to agree that the negative tone in Mayor Corroon's advertisements where a turn-off. I use to respect the Mayor as the Mayor. He seemed fair and was doing a good job. In his run for governor his innuendos could not be proven and make him seem like just any sleazy, desperate politician. I no longer hold a positive opinion of the Mayor.

• Cats Provo, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 8:09 a.m.

Going negative is the act of a desperate candidate.

I just don't understand why he wants to ruin his reputation for future races. He has no chance to win this and he's just causing everyone in the state to lose respect for him. He has to look ahead to his future and he's wrecking that by these stupid ads.

• Norm Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2010 6:19 a.m.

I and many friends had a interest in voting for Mr. Corroon but as mentioned the negative comments changing many votes. The plus side of Mr. Carroon was his stand on illegal immigration. Had he addressed this with a clearer message of what he would do if elected he may have gained more votes. He runs a tight program which I like, he has mentioned his concerns on illegal immigration which he out-lined a more definitive direction. Our current Governor has gone the same direction most politicians are doing which IS nothing trying to pacify the voters to be re-elected. Instead of caving into the illegal propontents who push for illegal immigration we need people who stand up for the law and the country. We are weak and looking at our current Governor and elected offcials State, City and in Washington we are in trouble. Why is it so hard to follow the law of the land. We don't need to cater to people who break our laws, but we do and they are getting stronger while we pay with giving them benefits some of our citizens fail to get. We need leaders who represent AMERICANS.