Utah Jazz hang on for a preseason win over Portland Trail Blazers

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 6:32 p.m.

You need to go out in the cold montana air and chill out Bald Eagle, this was a pre-season game and several players didn't look so hot, shall we get rid of all of them?

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Oct. 8, 2010 4:52 p.m.

CJ took one 3.....Made one 3......Hummmmm...... Isn't that 100%? What else do you want guys? You all complained about him jacking up 3's last year. He shot one and made one. That looks good to me!!

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 11:52 a.m.

I wonder if Jeffers is spending time with Hornacek, cause his jump shot looks awful. He has really strange form (which is why the Brewer comparison is valid)

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 11:06 a.m.

One thing I found interesting was that Luke Babbit didn't even play last night and he's not injured. Also, as far as rookie wing players go Hayward might have had the best debut out of any of them. Turner, Aminu, George, and Babbit combined to shoot 4 for 25 in their preseason debuts. So while Hayward didn't exactly light the world on fire last night he wasn't awful like those 4 were(Wesley Johnson also had a 9 point game in his debut).

• Dick of the NW Bainbridge Island, Washington
    Oct. 8, 2010 10:03 a.m.

Hey, why a headline that speaks to a FORMER Jazz player. Yes a small story line but not the main headline. Let's praise and give kudos to the current Jazzmen. Wes has forgotten the discipline that he learned from the Jazz. He now jacks up early shots which lead to fast breaks the other way. However, that is the Blazers way. The Jazz are going to be a lot better as they continue to jell. They have now beaten the Blazers five straight. Look to see the Jazz taking the NW division. Go Jazz! You've got to love it, Baby!

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 9:59 a.m.

Todd, good positive comments, hope your doing well.
    Bugoff, your right, Mathews wouldn't get the freedom to shoot nearly as much as he did, under Sloan.
    Gaines has always shown good at the offensive end, except for free throw shooting. He has a strong body, seemed to run the offense a little better.
    Can't see him pushing Price or Watson out though.
    Jeffers is a shorter Brewer, he has to show me he can shoot from the outside before I would want to keep him.
    I hope to see Thompson in the next game.
    CJ somewhat disappointing, hope he comes back with more determination in the next game.
    Fes's lack of focus in the second half showed he needs to get more serious. Hope he can keep getting PT, Coach Nisalke likes Fes and thinks he has Potential to be a decent center.
    Evans and Hayward contributed pretty good for their first games. Love how Evans plays smart, love his quick hops.
    JFFR, I agree, I think Jeffers is 6'3 at best, good hops though.
    Big Al seemed to be patient and not try to force things, didn't take too many shots.

• JazzyMan Meadow, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 8:35 a.m.

I attended the game and was very impressed by the overall strength of our starters. For those that didn't attend and wonder why Jefferson didn't necessarily light things up,I thought he ran within the offense well and didn't force things as another blogger mentioned.Also, I THINK Jefferson helped the productivity other Jazz members'games because of the attention he was receiving inside. Raja Bell didn't score much either ,but he also played well within the scheme of things and didn't louse anything up either. Jefferson and Bell will have their days. They both showed smarts and patience,taking what the defense gave them.Gaines is played better than Price and showed me he wants the job more. Hayward,other than one or two airballs and a turnover ,shows promise. Evans is definitely a quick and high jumper who can get a few putbacks in games for the Jazz,but like Fes,has bad freethrow shooting. I,unlike many of you think Miles may have a break-out year and be the best two- guard .He appears to have more confidence and strength this year. He did have trouble with the fouls though.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 8:29 a.m.

Jerry thought it was a good outing and he has been attending practices. I am sure he wanted to see how the rookies do in a game situation with real NBA players playing with and against them.

I would be concerend about the output of AJ and would say singlehandledly (get it?) Boozer would have helped out a great deal but seems we did not need him last night. Anyway Jerry seems not too concerned that AJ will get it and catch on as time goes by and that gives me more confidence.

CJ has the wherewithal to really have a breakout year. Great to have Bell on the roster, even better to have Korver elsewhere.

Preseason is fun for most except coach and rookies who don't make it.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 8:10 a.m.

I was at the game... I was really impressed with Gaines, Jeffers, Evans and Fesenko. I thought Big Al looked decent (not like an All-star yet) and Hayward looked like a talented rookie (lots of mistakes, not quite up to speed.)

Here are the things I liked best-

DWill-Bell-AK-Millsap= Amazing defense. Watching AK and Millsap pick people apart on defense was fun. Millsap also made some stunning passes.

Fesenko- I was impressed (and I'm one of Chuck Nunn's haters! :)) He drove the lane and showed he's very quick for a big guy. He still isn't finishing plays :(

Jeffers= mini Millsap. He has a nose for the ball and a tendency to do things right. Unfortunately I think he's really 6'2 (he has an awkward posture, but I love watching him!)

Gaines is a stud- But I doubt he'll make the team.

Hayward- just couldn't finish plays, but he's never played at this level so I'll give him time. I can't believe people were impressed with him, he wasn't that great.

Evans- seems smart, does things right.

• H2OSKI Alpine, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 8:02 a.m.

Fesenko will give new life/meaning to the term hack a shaq.

Fesenko either figures out how to hit a free throw or he will NEVER be on the floor when it matters. The liability is too huge. Either that or he is literally NEVER allowed to touch the ball offensively.

Opposing teams will figure out very quickly that fouling Fess is the same a turnover because he is missing 7 of 10 freethrows.

Pathetic for a guy with his ability.

Freethrows are nothing but practice and clearly Fesenko has not put in the time to be able to get up there and get any type of automatic stroke going whatsoever.

As I said...pathetic after this long in the league and this long in Jerrys system that he does not get prepared and fill in the holes in his game.

• MR Draper, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 3:52 a.m.

Looks to be another lackluster, sloppy year from CJ...despite whatever muscle he may have put on. He's more of a liability than an asset.

• UkJazz W-Ton, Uk
    Oct. 8, 2010 2:07 a.m.

Look, I thought Wes was our player of the season last year, BUT because of THAT toxic contract we HAD to let him go. So, why oh why is the headline for this article about him ? He DOESN'T play for the Jazz any more.....

Nice to start off with a win, keep on rollin Utah !!!

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 12:47 a.m.

Was at the game. Man it was good to see Bell out there again. He will bring alot to this team. The second unit played pretty good. I was very impressed with the way Fes was helping Evans with the plays and defensive assignments. At times they seemed to work really well together.

I was very very impressed with Gordon Haywoods ball handling skills and his basketball savy.

• Viva Los Jazz Garland, UT
    Oct. 8, 2010 12:06 a.m.

Why is everyone giving Al Jefferson a pass? No, I didn't see the game but he only had 6 points for a guy who averaged over 20 points per game last year. I know our system isn't set up for him but when is the beast going to be unleashed?! Go Big Al!
    I was really happy to hear about the two rookies scoring 9 points each and that Milsap held his own, plus Deron started off well. Way to go Wes Mathews and it looks like the Jazz are off to a great start.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Oct. 7, 2010 11:59 p.m.

The guys need time to get accustomed to each other...there are a lot of new guys on the team...all they need is time...it would be a rough start...but will finish the season banging...for fes...if he does not live up to expectations...dont resign him...please...we will have Ante Tomic coming over...though he is not massive...he has better polished skills than fes...i hope they give minutes to thompson...i think he'll do good....this lineup is by far the deepest we've had...hope Hayward gets to log major minutes during the season...and be a solid contributor...and hope he'd stick with the Jazz for a long time

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Oct. 7, 2010 11:34 p.m.

To Bald Eagle: You need to understand, Fesenko has played very little in 3 years in this league. Experience wise for a mid impact rookie, he would be equivalent of 2nd season player. He showed a lot of good things that far surpassed what Greg did. Greg could hold his own in the paint against average-good centers. Fesenko potentially more offensive skills, he needs to make free throws, maintain shape and keep working to improve. At least he did not get burned with foul trouble, and is improving with judgment. This will lead to more respect from the refs...He has to do it while Okur is out. Elson to me is a big?

The Jazz played better defense from all that played the 2nd half. The 2nd quarter in particular, Portland and Fernandez unleashing the 3 balls. I realize we saw guys in those spots play minutes at that stage would not for reg season. A lot of youth.

It is not a squad short of "talent" it needs time together.

I do feel potentially we can win this divison over Denver, Portland and Ok City.

This means perhaps, a longer, happier post season

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Oct. 7, 2010 11:34 p.m.

@Kyle Bell played in Utah when they ran a different version of the system than they are now. Bell knows some of the system but not on the instinct level that is required so cuts, picks and shots are automatic behaviors.

There is probably a tendency to favor guys with guaranteed contracts. However, Gaines is a very efficient effective player. He can run the team, shoot and provide energy plus he has some muscle. I assume Price has a guaranteed contract. Does any one know if it is fully guaranteed? How about Elson?

Watson has a long record of playing 20 minutes at PG for a number of years. He can run a team.

Evan got a lot of positive talk. He can sky. He is going to be worth developing even if they send him to the Flash for a year.

Thompson did not play. How is he doing in practice?

Mathews was a total chucker. He got his points but his shooting percentage was bad (40%). He would never do that with Sloan.

The starters played very good D. I have hope for this team. AK,CJ,AJ and Bell did not score up to potential.

• cedar Holladay, UT
    Oct. 7, 2010 11:17 p.m.

big deal, wes played most of the minutes more than any blazer to show us up. most of the jazz got spotty minutes. if williams played as much a matthews he would have got over thirty.

• bald eagle Helena, MT
    Oct. 7, 2010 11:14 p.m.

Interesting Jazz team this year. A bunch of you "regulars" on here kept yipping and yapping last year singing the praises of Fesenko--what a good player he is & Sloan never gave him enough playing time. Well Fes got plenty of PT tonight and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt he's a horrid player. Wish the Jazz hadn't signed him, even if they needed him after Memo went down. He's beginning to remind me more and more of Tag--and that ain't good folks.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Oct. 7, 2010 11:09 p.m.

I didnt go to the game but nice win! It looks like the Jazz didnt defend the 3 point line, perimeter and transition defense have to be a focus going into this season. I kind of excpected better stat line out of AK and Jefferson, what happened?

• mulrich Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2010 11:04 p.m.

Price has a guaranteed contract worth $1.4M this season. If we cut him to sign Gaines we still have to pay all or Price's contract, plus Gaines, plus luxury tax for both salaries. Gaines contract would be worth about $1M, so total cost to sign Gaines and cut Price would be $5M. Keeping Price costs about $3M. With all the other quality players fighting for a roster spot there's no way we take 4 PG's into the season.

I'm not sure who is better between the two (I haven't seen any scrimmages or games this season), but I'm not sure how much the Jazz would be willing to spend for a third string point guard. An additional $2M for a third string guard that is probably only going to see garbage minutes in 15 games this season is pretty steep.
    Gaines had a good moment or two last season (and a bunch of bad moments), but he would have to really shine this preseason to justify cutting Price.

Odds are we cut Gaines but keep him on the Flash, then call him up if one of our guards gets a bad injury.

• Chuck Nunn Logan, UT
    Oct. 7, 2010 10:54 p.m.

Jefferson did OK. Not awesome, not bad. but since it's the first game of preseason and he's new to the system, I'm giving him an A. D-Will and 'Sap looked great, no worries there so far. Young guys let the Blazers back in, but Rudy Fernandez can flat out shoot the ball, and you have to cover him. Evans showed a lot of hops and hustle, I'm converted. Gaines made a good case for staying with the team.

Fesenko? Well not even I can defend the pain-inducing free throw shooting. But his minutes in the first half were pretty good. Second half, he was ragged, and he'll have to improve on staying focused for the entire game. The haters will be on in a minute to bash him, but I think you have to take the good with the bad, especially after the first preseason game, and now that coach has seen everyone perform against someone other than each other in practice, adjustments can be made and players know what they need to work on.

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• carpediem Holladay, UT
    Oct. 7, 2010 10:32 p.m.

Gaines played well in the scrimmage and in this game which makes you wonder if he is going to have a good year, but man I would hate to see Price go, If I had to choose I would pick Price because I think he runs the offense better than Gaines, provides energy sometimes, and is a good presence in the locker room. I would seriously evaluate Watson before automatically cutting Price or Gaines.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2010 10:31 p.m.

What the real headline should have been was the Jazz's starters outscored the Blazzer's starters by over 20 points. Wes played well but he also played 38+ minutes, which is ridiculous for a pre season game.

Gordon Hayward led the Jazz in minutes with 28 and played pretty well. Evans also had a good game and is an absolute 100% lock to make the team.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2010 10:26 p.m.

Who saw it? I want more about Jefferson?? How many minutes?

Bugoff- Bell learning the offense? He probably knows it better than half the players who were here last year.

I can't wait for the regular season!

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2010 10:22 p.m.

I loved how Hayward and Evans played, hope they will continue to get PT and be able to contribute.
    Looks like it could take Big Al a while to get in shape and get adjusted to the Sloan system.
    Milsap played well, he should have a slightly better season.
    AK, shot poor but used his intangibles to have an impact.
    CJ, OK but barely.
    Fes played well the first half, not so good the second half, needs to stay focused.
    Should be an interesting season.

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2010 10:15 p.m.

I'm hearing more and more about Jeremy Evans. Starting to get really excited about that kid's potential. Sounds like he may be earning that roster spot.

Even though it's just preseason, great job on the W Jazz.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Oct. 7, 2010 10:06 p.m.

Evans, Gaines and Jeffers made a decent case for making the team. Watson is a true PG who runs the team first.

It is only the first game but I think it would be a mistake to let Gaines go. He can play 2 as well as PG. His foul shooting is still a weakness but his other skills make up for it.

AJ and Bell are still learning the offense but will come along. Millsap is going to do really well. Fes had some good moments but still can't hit a foul shot. Hayward is coming along.

11 steals and 7 blocks are impressive. The starters throttled POR. The second string was sporadic but not bad at times.

This team may be able to play defense.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Oct. 7, 2010 9:59 p.m.

Good performance for 1st game. Wes Matthews you knew would be extra focused to have a good game. If he can do that every night for Portland, more power to him.

Andre Miller the "enigma" did nothing as normal...

I liked Gordon play and Evans, hustle, the boards and aggression. Dwil is DWIL. Milsap was outstanding.

I give credit to Sloan for using 4 points and all seeing action. It is going to be a fierce battle for the #2 and #3 spots. All had theyr'e moments. Watson gets the key rebound on miss up 2 in final seconds, and then the clinching foul shots.

Gaines played well. I still say if this guy makes his free throws, I keep him and unfortunately would have to cut Price, because you know Watson stays.

Fesenko had that spin move could not finish, played better in the 1st half and appeared in better shape, the block and some boards and nice drive.

Unfortunately, he regressed in the 2nd half and -17 for game he has to improve to get the quality minutes he needs.

The concern as "always" even in winning. "jer" system allowing "3s" open. Portland Buried "9-17"