Sports

Utah Utes football: Squad focused on Cyclones, not high ranking

Comments

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Oct. 4, 2010 9:16 p.m.

Iowa State: The 11 th Best team in The Big 11. Hmm tough game or what? Maybe no more Helium in the big red balloon?

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 4, 2010 7:39 p.m.

IA Cougar: see you at the game. I'd be more than happy to have you cheer for the Utes with us.

Chris B: Hope you're right. Again.

• IA Cougar West Des Moines, IA
    Oct. 4, 2010 7:07 p.m.

I read this article with interest as I will be attending the game. Thought maybe it would be a good time to bury the hatchet and cheer for Utah...I am from that state! Then I read the first two comments on this Utah article intent on slamming my Cougars. NOT classy, folks. We're having a very bad year. Every Cougar knows it. So enough of that. Trust me, I will be wearing Red this Saturday night. Wearing red pains me greatly but with ISU and Utah, it's hardly avoidable. Question is: Which team will that red be for???

We're all on the same team, right???

• Dave from Taylorsville Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 5:54 p.m.

I came to read a great Utah Football article and some good comments by Ute fans. Instead, the first two comments had to shove salt in the BYU wound. Most Ute fans are pretty good, some are classless.

Still, this BYU fan says GO UTES!

• umanami Draper, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 4:11 p.m.

Re: Arynen | 8:57 a.m. Oct. 4, 2010

You felt like you had to make the comment you did? Who has the complex about where their program is at right now? Hmm interesting. I can assure you that the team itself is focused on the Cyclones; fans, well they are enjoying the epic fail from TDS. Ute fans suffered years of abuse at the hands of zoobs when TDS was up and Utah was down. The chickens have come home to roost. Enjoy reaping what thou hast sown. Go Utes, to the PAC12!

• 42istheanswer Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 3:20 p.m.

It'll be tough, but I am sure the Utes will pull a win out. Especially if they fix the miscues from the earlier games.

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Oct. 4, 2010 2:34 p.m.

Does anyone know what Dish channel the game might be on?

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 1:56 p.m.

Utah will pull away in the second half. TT had two key turnovers late in the game that led to ISU touchdowns. Short fields for most offenses means bad news for defenses. I think our run defense will slow down the ISU offense by making some key halftime adjustments. Utah wins by 3 touchdowns.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 4, 2010 1:40 p.m.

Thanks for the good wishes Panama! Truly appreciated!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 4, 2010 1:38 p.m.

Whitt is a brilliant coach who does not let his teams outthink themselves on big games. The lone exception in the last three years was the Holy War last year when Wynn was overwhelmed in the first half, but then came back to tie it up. Whitt will not let his team get a big head and think this will be an easy game. I have all the confidence in Whitt and believe the only game we fans need to worry about is the TCU game and MAYBE Notre Dame.

Go Utes! Go Crimson!

The future is bright, the future IS Crimson!!

• Muss Man Draper, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 12:52 p.m.

@Arynen,

Not only are you reading a Utah article, you're commenting on the comments regarding a Utah article.

What, the train wreck down south not interesting enough for you?

• uteowl Sunnyvale, CA
    Oct. 4, 2010 12:32 p.m.

Deep in my heart this game - which it seems most everyone else had written off as a auto win - troubled me as a trap. This past weekend convinces me that it will not be as easy as many expected and I hope.

We've been excellent after bye weeks and it should continue, but may not be one of the blow out wins we've grown accustomed to.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 11:02 a.m.

Finally, the Utes will have some competition. We'll see how good the Utah Utes really are. If they win, they will probably keep their top 10 ranking, & may go up one or two places, depending on what teams above them do. If they lose, they will drop. If they lose big, they may drop out of the top 25 altogether. Good luck Utes, from a BYU fan.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Oct. 4, 2010 10:15 a.m.

From everything I’ve read, Tex Tech is more so a putrid defensive team as opposed to ISU is a good offensive team. Reports say the Tech “team” played uninspired football (sound familiar kewgs?) and the coaching staff might be in trouble (sound familiar kewgs?).

My biggest concern in the Utes offense coming out flat due to the extended time off.

• FlyingUte Murray, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 9:53 a.m.

We may start out slow which seems to be the norm except for SJST but then when we get our backfield cooking and our "D" stiffens it's all about going downhill and downfield. The test will be to see what the Cyclones do if the run is shut down like we did against the Pitts Heisman back. Go Utes!!

• coachcarter Cedar City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 9:48 a.m.

UTAH 35
    IOWA STATE 17

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 9:34 a.m.

This will be a nice test. I think we win, fairly comfortably, but we have to be on top of our game. Iowa State has a suspect defense and frankly, I think Jordan Wynn will be able to pick apart their defense fairly easily. We need to be ready to stop the run. Cant wait for saturday! GO UTES!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 9:29 a.m.

Iowa State 10
    Utah 37

• UteFan01 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 9:07 a.m.

@spots fan

No it is only included in the premium sports package on comcast.

It's channel 617 for DirecTv customers

• What To Do Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 9:03 a.m.

This will be a great test for the UTE's. It is always hard to come off a two week rest. I expect to see the UTE defence ready to go. With Iowa State two running backs our 11 guys up front will get a lot of playing time and if they hold the UTE's will win!

Go UTES

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 8:57 a.m.

Utes are focused on the Cyclones, but the first two comments are about BYU. Top 10 and still have a complex? Interesting.

• jotab Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 8:30 a.m.

to sports fan
    FCS is in the sports and entertainment tier on Comcast about channel 263, it won't be on FSN Utah as of now.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Oct. 4, 2010 7:38 a.m.

Iowa St. is good I am excited to watch this game. The Utes defense is very solid this year I am not worried about them doing what they did to Texas Tech.

• sports fan Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 7:13 a.m.

do we get Fox College sports in the basic comcast package. will it be on FSN?

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Oct. 4, 2010 6:59 a.m.

Top-10 means nothing if Utah can't continue to win.

But I must admit I like it very much!!!

Go, Utes!!!!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 5:43 a.m.

Iowa State appears to have found their rythym and will be a tough opponent, especially given that this is a road game for the Utes.

Utah will come out fired up and will put on a defensive show that will take the crowd out of the game.

Cant wait to see Smithson fielding punts after those 3 and outs!

Go Utes!!

• Ute Fan in MS Southaven, MS
    Oct. 4, 2010 5:15 a.m.

To MESOUTE:
    BYU is ranked, right where they should be, just below USU.
    Good game Aggies, hope this is the game that get's your program turned around.

• MESOUTE Albany, NY