USU, BYU football: Aggies steam to 31-16 victory over Cougars

Aggies dominate stumbling Cougars in Logan

• fyre Aurora, CO
    Oct. 5, 2010 2:12 p.m.

I agree Go Big Blue...still feels good.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 5, 2010 11:33 a.m.

Four days later and it still feels pretty darn good!

Of course students rushed the field. Having been in the bottom 10 teams for a number of years it was amazing to see USU play a complete game against the y.

Here's hoping that the win last Friday is just the beginning of a number of wins.

Go Big Blue!!!

• Wondering William West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 5, 2010 1:53 a.m.

ESPN is having buyer's remorse.

BYU's master plan to be horrible so all of the good teams will come to provo is not going to work...no one will want schedule a cream puff like them!

Gary Crowton is laughing someplace.

Don't fool yourselves into thinking you'll beat SDSU, TCU, or Utah. Consider yourselves lucky if Wyoming, UNLV, or even New Mexico doesn't find a way to win in Provo.

Jamie Hill is the first to go....Why?? All of BYU's problems are on offense; all their injuries have been on defense (with the exception of Riley Nelson). If Bronco knew what he was doing, he'd fire Anae instead. Let the circus continue.

And of course as always, more Heaps of trouble on the horizon. He is so reliable that way and never lets us down. Still struggling with that Provo pressure?? Just do what the guy before you did. Then transfer to Weber State; trust me, you will be king there.

And last of all, consider yourselves lucky. USU stopped trying after halftime. I can promise you Utah won't be that friendly.

Enjoy (not!)...

• eyeliketoreadthepaper Orem, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 8:35 p.m.

USU fans actually rushed the field after this game, which was about the dumbest thing I've seen in a while. Win a bowl game and rush the field, but to rush the field after a regular season game is just plain dumb.

• Waylon77 Logan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 12:03 p.m.

I have never had more fun at college football game in my life. After sitting through 5 years of train wrecks and last second losses I finally got to do a little good spirited razzing and it felt good. I love my Aggies, and watching them start the rise out of mediocrity feels pretty darn good.
    Anderson was awesome, I have never seen a USU defense look that good. His knowledge of how BYU operates from his time at the U was priceless. Heaps was all over the place, he had all the time in the world and still couldn't move the ball until the USU second teamers took the field (a lot of that was definitely the fault of his receivers though). My favorite part was when he overthrew that wide open receiver in the end zone when there was nobody within 30 feet of him, priceless.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 10:00 a.m.

Clearly the higher elevation in Logan affected the Y's players.

• Aggie Fan Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 9:39 a.m.

I can't stand all the Utah fans on here. By the way, hasn't BYU BEAT you 3 of the last 4 years? BYU fans are bad, but I am starting to think Utah fans are worse. They take more pride in a BYU loss, than a Utah win. Most Utah fans can't even name 3 players on Utah's team. This was a HUGE win for the Aggies. That was the funnest game I have ever been to, but reading all these Utah comments is taking away from the great game it was.

Go Aggies!

• Eddie T Baton Rouge, LA
    Oct. 3, 2010 7:41 p.m.

Cali Coug: "We are not worried, the Cougar Nation remains strong and focused. We will beat the Yewtes at the RES in November."

Wow Cali Coug... that's... a gutsy call...

• Utah_State_Fan Logan, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:41 p.m.

From where I was sitting, it looked liked Riley Nelson was talking to Coach Anderson after the game. Probably about if there was a spot open for Nelson on the Aggie roster. But it looked like Coach A smurked and shook his head saying no.

• BSU BRONCO!! Rigby, ID
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:17 p.m.

Um!! Were are all the Cougar Fans that were talking up your Freshman QB saying he was going to be better then Kellen Moore and that he was the best QB ever to come out of the State of Washington. Want to compare Moore's freshman year to Heaps. Lets see Moore went 12-1 and Heap is going to go 1-11. Funny how quick you all jump off the Bandwagon. Dont cry thou you can watch BSU beat Utah State by 40 again, if that will make you feel any better.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:50 p.m.

U R NOT Man:

What BCS Bowl have you played in?

My congratulations if you were on the Utah or Boise teams. All of their BCS games have been fabulous. My favorite is Boise, OU. Perhaps the best game ever played. I have probably watched it 8 times.

I agree BYU special teams has performed well. Punting has been strong, no kicks out of bounds....

I have not heard anyone mention Heaps run for a first down. Looked like reasonable speed. He will need to develop that part of his game.

Interested to see if Rich, Fuga, Pendelton, Nelson get the year back with a medical. Does anyone know?

Biggest weakness right now is tight end. Somebody needs to step up.

Most have written off this season, I will be a fan through it all. I am optomistic about 2011-2013.

• TizTheSeason logan, utah
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:56 p.m.

To Idaho coug. Why is it that you Y fans insist on blaming Broncos choice for two QB's. As I have watched Heaps, He is not ready and has alot of work to do to be a stable BYU QB. The fact that both Nelson and Heaps were fighting for the spot made it clear that there was not a definite/standout leader in your two highly publically touted QB's. I think Coach M knew that there was a potential trainwreck at that spot. I don't blame him for doing what he did. He had no solid contributor. To all of you that deny that is blinded by the hype and you will be disappointed for a long time. Mendenhall has a huge dilemna. I hope that he will consider developing Lark and Munns with equal consideration. They can't be too bad

• U R Not Man Until a BCS Bowl Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:29 p.m.

I thought pickle juice was suppossed to make things like this not happen.

• Northwest Reader Vancouver, WA
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:55 p.m.

Does BYU still do the HAKA?

• BBbraves54 Henefer, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:23 p.m.

it's funny how BYU thinks there ready to take it to the next level when they aren't even close to contending with bigger schools like UTAH moving on to bigger and better things. Bring USU from the WAc and place them in the Mountain West they deserve it

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:19 p.m.

A few thoughts:

1. BYU simply is not a good team right now. Special teams is the only unit playing remotely well.

2. Heaps has a LONG way to go in terms of getting in sync with his receivers and understanding the entire offense. But there is no question that he has elite tools - very quick release, arm strength, etc. I know that hindsight is 20/20 but the 2 QB thing was a TERRIBLE decision. Heaps clearly has the poise and maturity to be the starter as a true freshman. The only thing he is lacking is reps which is the one thing that the 2 QB thing prevented him from getting.

3. I have never seen receivers drop more passes. Heaps would have had 10-12 more receptions. He has a live arm but these are D-1 receivers. Catch the ball!

4. The defense is very poor and will be in real trouble without Rich and Pendleton. We have no TE. The o-line is playing like they are all freshmen.

You can still be a huge Cougar fan and call it like it is. And right now the reality is that BYU is very bad.

• BallJunkie South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:55 p.m.

BTW....I'm not a Utah fan, I'm a college football fan and moved to Utah 8 years ago from Alabama. SEC football is the real deal.

What has bothered me about BYU Fans and the football program in general is they are so smug and cocky about what they think is an elite program and a "National Championship". Outside of the intermountain area and especially in the south, little is known about BYU except that it's the Mormon school. BYU is 1-3 against SEC Teams and only beat a lack luster Mississippi State Team when they were way down.

BYU does not have the resume for fans to consider themselves a top notch program. Just look at how you have done against teams in the past 40 years that finished in the top 25. I have....the record is 8 wins - 18 losses. Hardly something to brag about.

I prefer watching Utah football because they have better athletes and have accomplished more in 10 years than BYU has is 40. Utah has a real good reputation in the south and among SEC schools. BYU is not ever talked about.

• 04BYU Sherwood, OR
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:47 p.m.

So, I know a lot of you have been waiting for the computer results from me. Well, here they are. Finally. Sorry it took so long; I apologize.

Coach 101, Mesoute, WhatToDo, WeberState&UtahFan are the only posters who have made any sense posting on this article. Good job guys. You are the guys who know how to be true fans of the game of football. Keep it up.

May I add my congratulations to a quality Utah State football team!

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:47 p.m.

THE END - and Cougar fans lived unhappily ever after...

• Glad to be Retired Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Is it Jake or his receivers?

• BallJunkie South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:42 p.m.

BYU should never complain about Strength of Schedule. Look at your glorious 1984 season. BYU was 13-0 but only played 4 teams with a record above 500. Those teams were Tulsa (6-5); Hawaii (7-4); Air Force (8-4); and Utah (6-5-1). They played a 6-5 Michigan Team that finished in a 3-way tie for 4th place in the Big Ten for their big Bowl Game and beat them by a whopping 7 points. That made Michigan 6-6.

The combined record of the teams they played that year was 61-85-2. Besides Michigan, only Air Force was invited to a bowl game.

This ushered in the BCS which BYU can not crack and looks to not have the ability to do so in the near future.

BYU is a Football program that is not known for much outside of the Intermountain Area. A very lackluster bowl record. Only two wins against teams that finished in the top 10 in the last 40 years and only 7 wins against teams that finished in the top 25 in the past 40 years. Utah has accomplished more in 10 years. Facts!!!!

• LiveLifeLoud Logan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:39 a.m.

Great win Aggies! I was at the game and Jake Heaps IS a good QB. He's young and made some mistakes. His receivers dropped a lot of passes. The only really bad passes I saw him make were when he had pressure and then a total miscommunication where, let's be honest, he was just trying to make something happen in a game that was completely lost. His deep ball is amazingly accurate so give credit where it's due - the Utah State pass coverage. They played awesome. So lay off the kid. He was being asked the throw the ball 59 times for goodness sake.

As far as injuries go, quit using that as an excuse Cougar fans. Utah State had 11 starters on a team that's still building the depth that BYU supposedly has. The only reason ESPN came using that as an excuse was to sell the idea that "This BYU team is going to be fun to watch so please, please, please watch their all their games we signed for next year." THAT'S why they barely mentioned Utah State's injuries.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:33 a.m.

The way BYU is playing, BYU fans may get their wish of not having Ute fans post on BYU stories. At some point, Ute fans may not feel BYU is a rival.

But, that isn't true now. For years fans of both schools have posted on articles about the other, precisely because both sides (even if they don't admit it) feel the other is a rival worth taking serious.

As we move on and BYU goes into its scheduling alliance with the WAC, BYU and USU will likely develop the rivalry that BYU and Utah have enjoyed over the years. I many ways, as a Ute fan, I feel like something will be missing when that happens. I have trouble thinking of Colorado as a rival.

• Stockton to Malone Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:31 a.m.

I feel bad for byu fans, but you see what your self righteous attitude has done for you in this state? Utah and Utah State fans both despise you and relish seeing you fail. I, for one, would ke to warn Utah fans about falling into that same trap, things are good now, but what goes around comes around. But seriously Y fans, there is a reason utah and utah state fans gang up on you. Show some humility, take your lumps, and cut all the self righteous crap. You will be back, and you'll be on eson when it happens. Back your qb, he's young and he needs confidence, fans can help instill that. Hasta Novemeber, should be a fun game.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:16 a.m.

I think it's funny. For years the TDS fans have been spouting off about their national respect,and how great their program is despite really doing nothing since 1984. the post-season has, for the most part, been bad, the out of conference record mediocre. Sometimes they've beat pretty good teams only to fall to bad ones a week or two later. The team is just a reflection of the program, no consistency. At times, Heaps looked brilliant and others, terrible. I wouldn't be ready to throw him under the bus just yet, though. He will be a very good if not great QB if he doesn't get injured from lack of protction first. Of course you'll have to find someone decent to coach him and polish his skills. Too bad Brian Johnson is already employed.

• redandwhite Park City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:12 a.m.

Bluto you define why people hate BYU. Hopefully BYU is still in Logan recruiting coach Anderson to save BYU! Hold strong coach don't fall to the dark side.

• ConferenceofChampions Herriman, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:02 a.m.

When Bronco preaches all week to the press that "This week is not a must win" The players play with that same additude.

I dont want to hear any byu fans complain about injuries. Utah State had plenty on their side.

Utah as well has had plenty over the years.

As for Utahs schedule, we cant help it that you BYU will be another 1 win team we dominate.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:52 a.m.

ESPN has no remorse for partnering with BYU.
    I'll guarantee you this was the most watched game Utah State ever played in, why? BYU, that's why!

For you Utes who think ESPN has remorse, you don't understand the TV ratings game.

It's amazing how anxious Utes are to see the demise of BYU. Their Insecurity is so evident.

Why do you care? Are you so Jilted with being in BYU's shadow for 4 decades, that you can't let anything go?

Max Hall's comments, Austin Collies comments, Johnny Harlines catch, on and on it goes.

You Utes need to realize one thing... BYU's bad year, does not elevate you to anything.

When the dust settles this year, BYU' Name Trumps Utah AllDayLong.

BYU could have many bad years and they will still send players to the NFL that people notice and talk about.

They will still have their own Network TV deal, something Utah could never do.

They'll still have a Heisman, N.C. Outlands, DoakWalker, Davey O'Brien's, Super Bowl MVP's, College Hall of Famers, etc, and Utah?

They'll be playing on Fox Regional....Enjoy

• ricwhite Layton, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:51 a.m.

I looked back at the pre-season MWC football projections and noticed that the "experts" predicted BYU would go 10-2 this year and finish in the top three in the conference and be ranked in the top 20 nationally.

They knew BYU had new quarterbacks and some other new players, but thought they would step up and fill the holes.

Clearly that has not happened. BYU has serious issues both on defense and offense. It's amazing to me how the loss of a few key players can completely devastate a team.

I can't remember another year where the pre-season predictions were as far off the mark as they were with BYU this year.

• mosbyjim Vernal, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:49 a.m.

keep your heads up BYU! We are behind you all the way! Jake is a stellar player and will shine soon. Mark my word haters! GO BYU!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TrueAggie Layton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:43 a.m.

Re FERG: When the fans stormed the field, Coach Andersen said, postgame, that he quickly saw that he would not be able to get to Bishop Bronco. Plus, with his seriously injured neck, there was worry about people rushing up and, in their excitement, forgetting to be careful. Gary said he would get with Bronco this weekend and they would talk them. Nothing was meant by this. Don't try to stir something up that is not there.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:28 a.m.

Go ahead and gloat Utah. 30 years of living in BYU's shadow, you've earned the right, for now.

Gotta love the Utes, don't ya?

Lets see we've had the Race Card played by Utes, The Religion Card etc.

Bottom line is, Utah...

"WE Are Still BYU".

And one 5-6 or 6-6 season won't change that. Our "Legacy is Intact".

The Independence is still Intact, as is the ESPN Contract and nothing this year or next, will change that.

Take your "Little Insecure Points of Superiority", wherever you may find them, but, Remember this,

Your November is coming, as is your future Pac-10 schedules and many many 6-6 seasons in Uteville.

BYU, down at the moment, as was Oklahoma and Michigan recently, Will Rise Again.

Many good years ahead with Jake Heaps and 10,11- win seasons.

BYU remains BYU, their name is bigger than one bad year.

If I'm a High School Receiver and can catch Jake Heaps passes for 3 or 4 years, I'm headed to Provo.

Watching Heaps develop will be fun, Relax Cougs.

5 D starters lost, Unga gone, and very young players, things happen.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:17 a.m.

Higher levels of execution are needed in order to highly execute at a much higher level of execution.

• justback Saint George, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:15 a.m.

I will date myself a little but this should mean that the wagon wheel will come back to Logan. I remember going to Provo my freshman year and seeing us get beat and the wheel went to Provo. There was some dispute in that game but the final facts were, we got beat.

The next year, a bunch of the frat boys drove to Provo and went to library where the wheel was displayed and cut the chains and drove it back to Logan. The day of the game, the wheel was carrier along the sidelines, to the middle of the field and then given to BYU. The nice thing that we went on and beat them so it got to stay in Logan.

I remembered this watch the the start of the game and since most the discussion doesn't go back quite this far, I thought I would just relate some smiles from a past era.....

• WestCoast1 Escondido, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:09 a.m.

Re: MacNasty 9:26 a.m. post

You refer to your rivals as "gloating, red pond scum (that) has risen to the top of their fetid waters this time". Yet, according to your former quarterback, THEY are the ones who are classless?

• WestCoast1 Escondido, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:09 a.m.

Re: Dannysaur 7:00 a.m.

You're only half right. You carefully point out that the Utes endured "decades of awful football." That would be in the 70's and 80's. What you didn't point out is that the BYU faithful had to endure over a half century of ineptitude. In fact, from the early 1900's until the 70's, the Utes at one time owned a 40-4 lead! It is now 53-34 for the Utes.

But back to the present. BYU is in trouble. 1-4 and freefalling downward. The Utes, on the other hand, in the 2nd year of having to "rebuild," are 4-0 and could very well go undefeated for a 3rd time in 7 years. Much of the problem is the pressure the BYU coaching staff has been put under by both the fans and the press to start Heaps. Never has the state of Utah had a recruit with so much hype. Unfortunately, with much hype comes much expectations. It would have been better for this freshman to quietly go in when he was ready and work his way up.

• logical Meridian, ID
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:08 a.m.

BYU coaches are willing to throw this season away to keep Jake in there.
    Actually the whole team sucks. Is it something in the water?

• CdA Ute Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:51 a.m.

Key to that victory last night was that big old dude with the mullet that kept walking back and forth behind Coach Anderson. The cougs had no chance against that level of mulletude.

• TJ2407 Springville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:50 a.m.

For the last few years I have been saying that Bronco needs to stop trying to teach religion and life lessons and stop being a seminary teacher and start coaching football. He says that players need BYU and need the morals and lifestyle there but in reality he is hired as the football coach and he has really done a poor job this year. The players are not prepared to play. Football should not the 5th thing listed on the priority list if you are the HEAD FOOTBALL COACH. Football should be #1 and he is not making it #1. Just coach football and fire up your guys. He acts like he doesn't even care about football by showing no emotion and just saying we are improving. he needs to stop being a seminary teacher and start being a football coach! Just my opinion

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:45 a.m.

It's official. It's time to panic. I'm just so embarrassed I just don't know what to say. This is a group of real losers. Everything they do and say shows it.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:43 a.m.

RE: AFCoug, I hope you gain some insight as to how the Ute fans live their entire lives.

Just look at this comment board, with things like "this is just like Christmas", and "best season ever". Even though Utah's team looks good this year, and our Cougs are well, awful, the only thing that makes Ute fans happy is having BYU play poorly. Their elation has nothing to do with their own team, I actually wonder if they even know their team plays next. But I can guarantee they know BYU's schedule, and they will follow earnestly in the hopes that their next few months will continue to get better. Once again, Ute "fans" prove that their lives revolve entirely around BYU.

While I am completely embarrassed by BYU's performance these past four weeks, I will be a Cougar till I die, and I can honestly say that with the exception of the final week of the season, I really don't care what Utah does. It's actually quite sad that the only true happiness Ute fans enjoy is watching their rivals lose.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:37 a.m.

• Jimmy James Bronx, NY
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:37 a.m.

Great memory. I do remember the article that declared "BYU's receiving corps is among the 10 best in the NATION".

Wow, there has got to be some writers remorse after that one. In watching Heaps high-school highlight videos, it looks like he had better receivers then compared to now.

Also, not to pour salt in a wound, but because I think this is an excellent teaching moment, remember Austin Collies Quote?:

“When you're doing what's right on and off the field, I think the Lord steps in and plays a part; magic happens.”

So is this season indicative of BYU's "off the field" problems? Or, are BYU fans ready and willing to admit that although Austin Collie is a great player, perhaps his gospel understanding needs some more depth?

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:36 a.m.

1. Bronco should hire an anger-management coach to resolve whatever issues the players-listed-as-receivers have that led them to *refuse* to catch all those passes that hit them in their hands.(Heaps throws as hard as a baseball pitcher; maybe the players-listed-as-receivers thought they'd get an automatic walk to first base by being hit by a thrown ball).
    2. Progress: BYU averaged 15 points per game before this week -- scored *16* against USU!
    3. How times change: a month ago, I was celebrating BYU's liberation from the.mtn's obscurity; now I'm glad we can hide there -- and there's no better place on the planet to hide.

• lvrr SLC, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:35 a.m.

The Utah-BYU rivalry is now a quaint relic of the past. BYU's rival for the fore-seeable future is Utah State because of their WAC tie in. Utah's new rival is Colorado now that they are both new members of the Pac-12 conference. I'm sure Utah will schedule BYU at times in the future for local interest but the outcomes will not be pretty.

• WeberState&UtahFan Layton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:28 a.m.

When was the last time a 1-3 team stormed the field after beating another 1-3 team?

Anyway, I'm extremely happy for the Aggies. Hopefully they can transition to that 'next level'.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:26 a.m.

It looks like a lot of gloating, red pond scum has risen to the top of their fetid waters this time. So be it.

This game was in fact a system wide breakdown for the cougars. A lack of "execution" here and there just is not a satisfactory explanation.

Posters, like "Bugoff", who actually make interesting points and promote civil discussions are much appreciated. However, the BYU coaching staff's mettle is being tested and they are the ones responsible to right the ship.

The best game BYU played this year was the first game. As the ESPN commentators said last night, "This is not the BYU team we saw play Washington."

• Jimmy James Bronx, NY
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:25 a.m.

Great win Aggies! I am super glad to see that you guys showed up big last night. You guys are going places, and I hope you can either set up shop as a dominant team in the WAC, or, I would love to see you get the invite to the MWC.

BYU, I knew this season was going to be tough for you, but unless you can make some changes, it's just going to get tougher. It's not just Heaps, it not just the coaches, it's everyone. Your team has holes in just about every aspect of the game.

• buryme Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:25 a.m.

Having been born in Utah I grew up a fan of both BYU and Utah (remember Jack Gardner--that kind of dates me). I am an avid BYU fan but still continue to pull for the Utes. In fact, I was a Ute---Uintah Utes from Vernal. I would like to be able to counter much of the negative articles I read from the Ute fans, but unfortunately, this year they are pretty much spot on. We be bad. Collectively, (isn't that a term Bronco loves to use) the blame can be placed on both players and coaches. Can't wait for the JAZZ to begin playing.

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:18 a.m.

The rest of my season will now be devoted to rooting against the Utes as oppossed to rooting for BYU. Go Iowa State! AF to win the MWC!!

• ProudRedUtahAlum Holladay, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:10 a.m.

OlpuebloguyInWyo: "They are all good players. They just need to all come together ahead of time......as a TEAM!"

I agree that BYU has 'good' players. I watched a top level Division II team yesterday that also had 'good' players. But BYU is in the Division I FBS. Good players don't cut it if you claim to have an elite program and expect to win. You need 'great' players and you need to recruit them consistently. And with the restrictions Bronco has been handed in recruting, this is going to be a long term problem. Did anyone watching the game notice when they were showing the pictures of the starters, how incredibly 'white' the BYU team was? With expection of the corner backs and a couple of polynesian players, I was practically blinded. Look at us, we are 'whitey tech'. Is this the message the cougars want going out nationally? On the other hand, USU, like Utah and most other quality D1 programs, have a complement of blacks, whites, and polynesians. Heck, Utah even has a player of middle eastern decent on the squad. And with Utah's Pac-10 invite, recruiting wise, BYU is basically screwed.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:08 a.m.

Coach Anderson - "A great win against a quality opponent"...what opponent was that? A quality program, sure, but the opponent on the field last night was not one of quality. If this type of play continues, BYU will be lucky to win another game this season. Heaps will be good - maybe great - but he will not do much of anything until receivers step up. Heaps has no one to throw to. And when he does throw to them, they drop the ball.
    And yes, the play calling was lethargic, no imagination at all, but that might be because the offense (other than the line) just doesn't understand the plays yet. You would think that 4 games in to the season that everything would start to gel, but BYU has only digressed since the UW game.
    When does basketball start?

• buryme Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:05 a.m.

Please, please---just give us a glimpse at Lark and Munns to see if there might be somthing better in our future

• custer Boise, ID
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:55 a.m.

It was very fortunate that BYU had a Pac 10 team on their schedule. This guaranteed at least one victory this season.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:47 a.m.

It appears the players were listening to the press and their fans telling them this would be a walkover.
    There are no walkovers in rivalry games.
    The only walkover for BYU right now is to the lunchline for a little humble pie.

• OlpuebloguyInWyo Evanston, WY
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:29 a.m.

You could see it before the game even started. Even from my vantage point on the east side with the sun in my eyes. There were no "team" warm-ups as a whole team by the cougs. They never do. It is always the wr's warming up, the qb's warming-up over there, the lineman over there, etc. and then that is it. The head coach needs to bring the entire team together after initial warm-ups and get them pumped-up on the field together, as a team. All of them lined-up, dress right dress, with the team captains leading from the front. USU did and they showed their fans that they were a team and were ready to play. It was obvious before the game started that the "team" came with no heart. These losses are not about anything but the team, coming together as a team, with clear leaders on the field. They are all good players. They just need to all come together ahead of time......as a TEAM!

• SoCalUtahFanToo Irvine, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:25 a.m.

They should hang a sign outside BYU football department..."Pardon the poor performance while we are rebuilding".

Okay --enough.

Let me be the first Utah fan to extend an invitation for BYU fans to switch over and watch Utah football while your team is rebuilding --you may enjoy watching how football should be played.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:20 a.m.

This maybe one of the worst BYU teams that I have seen in 35 or 40 years....

The Offensive scheme is the weakest that I have seen at BYU ever and I am a student/athlete going back to 1070....

And the weakness of the offense is rivaled by the weakness of the defensive scheme which is on the low side of average even for BYU teams.... Who are notoriously poor.

Anae is a terrible OC and the DC isn't much better.... Mendenhall likes to brag about how Football is the third or fourth highest priority in the player's lives.... Trust us, it's showing....Our coaches and AD are sadly mistaken.... The move will be a giant step backwards.

I had to change the channel last night and watch baseball we were so bad.... Occasionally I would grimace and surf back to the game.... But if we think that BYU is going to get more exposure around the country as an independent when we are putting performances like last night, or last week, or the week before that out on the field... Our C

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:14 a.m.

Well, I guess BYU's officially in a rebuilding year. Some thoughts;

- Having Unga get kicked out of school was a bad omen. How bad does BYU miss him?!

- Heaps is a freshman and will take his lumps. I predict he will be much better next year with some experienced tight ends.

- Diluigi is shifty but can be tackled with one finger. NOT a short yardage back.

- Anae is a very mediocre play caller. Time to make a change at offensive coordinator

- McKay Jacobsen will be much better next year after he sheds his mission legs.

Only one thing left to play for this year - BEAT UTAH!!!

• redandwhite Park City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:03 a.m.

A team of BYU's stature should just reload from year to year. So the coaches are at fault dropping the ball recruiting. Utah was "rebuilding" last year and the Cougars were quite proud of beating us. Utah had no terrible drop just reloaded. That to me is the difference in the two programs right now. Whoever recruited this BYU team failed.

• imanaggie South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:55 a.m.

Great game Aggies! I couldn't be happier for the program and coach Anderson. This is a win that we can build on. GO AGGIES!

• What To Do Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:49 a.m.

USU won! That is all that needs to be said. Coach Anderson out coached Bronco. The players for USU out played the BYU players. There is no question who was the better team USU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• weaksauce Logan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:47 a.m.

haha hahaha haha oh my side hurts from laughing! let the byu excuses roll. i mean it's not like the have the number 1 qb recruit in the nation or anything, uh, or wait.... i don't even know if they belong in the wac now. enjoy independence bougars! look forward to teams scheduling you as the cupcake easy win in the future! at least you have your own tv channel notre dame of the west. maybe you can get regis to root for you. he's stuck by ND all these years and they're horrible too. Go Utes in the 12PAC, and especially go AGGIES!

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:46 a.m.

I've been dishing it out all season on the utesies and will continue to do so, this game hasn't changed the fact that they still have a cream puff schedule and haven't proven they can beat a legit opponent. Now we do know for a fact that the Y is awful. Bronco needs to be held accountable for a 1-4 start. If Pendleton and Rich are indeed out for the season that is sad but they must be feeling a little relief inside not having to play on such an atrocious team

• Disappointed Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:46 a.m.

HELP WANTED: Football Coach, Little league, or maybe high school experience a plus, but no experience is necessary.

Call Tom Holmoe-BYU

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:33 a.m.

This is the same coaches that beat Oregon and Oregon state as well as Oklahoma guys so it isn't coaching. It isn't scheme either. BYU has led the nation in offense with this same scheme. The problem is the simplest of all - no talent. That's right - no talent. I will say that you can blame the coaches - mainly Bronco - for poor recruiting but even then that might not be his fault either becuase I have the feeling his hands are tied as to who he can recruit these days. BYU administration has to make a decision - go back to recruiting Cougar football type players of the 80's - 2006 and turn this thing around or be content to be a laughing stock of college football (where you are now). 650000 fans aren't going to show up to watch this embarrasing product so something better change... and fast...starting January this year on the recruiting trail!!!

• Jeff R. Sheridan, WY
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:32 a.m.

Cougars had no emotion tonight. Look at how Anderson got his team fired up on the sideling. The BYU sideline just looked like a bunch of motionless robots trying to figure out what just happened. 2006 and 2007 there were emotion on the sideline. Anea, get your butt back in the press box were you belong!

• Jed Charlottesville, VA
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:26 a.m.

Go Aggies, Go Aggies, hey hey hey!

• Te Amo Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:09 a.m.

Well BYU finially normaled up to the good old days before Lavell. I hope it lasts 22 years.

• MESOUTE Albany, NY
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:08 a.m.

Great win for Coach Andersen and Logan State. But come on my fellow Utes, back off the cougars. We know how they feel and it is not pleasant. . . does last season's Utah basketball season come to mind? It is nice when your rival is losing but not like this. Have some sympathy, we all know the cougars will be back in 2 years so let's all stop with the teasing. In the meantime we have a lot of games aheafd of us. Plus, we should want to cougars to be relatively good, it is good blood for the rivalry.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:07 a.m.

Hey Bronco, how about showing a little fire and being a coach instead of just blowing sunshine? What a pathetic bunch of underachievers!
    Embarrassing, just plain embarrassing!

• BleedRed Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:06 a.m.

When you’re living righteously on and off the field, Magic happens.

• Dannysaur Lansing, MI
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:00 a.m.

This is a BYU fan who will state without hesitation that USU controlled us from beginning to end. As far I know, there has always been a rivalry between these schools, but this rivalry certainly won't replace the BYU-Utah rivalry. In all overmatched rivalries, the little guy always wins sometimes -- that is to be expected. USU should enjoy their deserved win. They played good football against a BYU team that looks to be the worst in decades and walked away with the win. Truly, good for USU.

It's also been refreshing to see some Utah fans actually write some intelligent comments. Indeed, this season is not the end of BYU football, as many Utah fans say it is. My guess is that the sensible Utah fans who recognize that this season hardly typifies BYU are the same Utes who lived through the decades of awful Utah football that only saw two top-25 rankings in team history before 2003. They seem to recognize the wisdom of not insulting a storied-program having a bad season (Notre Dame, UW, others).

BYU needs to focus on catching the ball, making tackles, and not giving up stupid special-team plays.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:55 a.m.

What a great game for Utah State! Congratulations Aggies.
    BYU will regain their feet.

Go Cougars!

• Coach101 Houston, TX
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:44 a.m.

I am a BYU Alum., fan for years, etc. USU executed well, out played BYU in every category last night. Congratulations to a program that is on its way back and I expect it not to take another 10 years to beat BYU again. In my opinion, they (USU) have one of the best coaches in the nation who knows how to get the best out of his players. Congratulations to USU football and its fans. They have waited a long time for this.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:30 a.m.

This is like Christmas. I'm buying a tree and putting it up with blue ornaments with logo's of Nevada, Air Force, Florida St. and every team that continues to beat the Y this year. My favorite season ever!

• Gordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:09 a.m.

Good Job, Aggies!! Congrats to Coach Anderson and his staff for preparing a good game plan and his players for executing that plan! Victory is almost always sweet!!

But how much hope can you create when the team you beat is 1-3 and has one of the lowest rated offenses in D1 football?

Some kids are great college players but can make it at the next level as a pro. Do you think that Heaps, a great high school player, might not make it at the next level -even what at a school that used to be known as Quarterback U? Could be!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:14 a.m.

As I predicted, BYU always loses when it's on ESPN. Not sure the correct message is getting out with the "exposure" "project".

Kewgs will need to come-up with a differnt list of excuses that doesn't include SOS.

The tds problems go way beyond "rebuilding", this team is a mess and bronco must be fired.

• TJ2407 Springville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:12 a.m.

I picked BYU to win this game but the just got manhandled. USU was missing 11 starters and they just outright beat BYU. I give credit to USU. Sure BYU did not execute and played out of position all night but I credit a lot of that to great coaching and effort by USU. They won the game. BYU did not lose it but USU won it. I looked at the schedule to start the season and thought BYU would lose 6 games. I am starting to think they will lose more. Someone commented that they thought Heaps did a godo job moving on from the dropped passes and just went on to the next play. What he should do is get in his receivers' faces and let them know they are letting the rest of their teammates down when they drop the ball. He needs to step up and show them that he is the leader and dropping passes is not acceptable. I think that after he committed to BYU he was dropped from the #1 QB ranking and who ever did that knew what they were doing. He is not that good

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:43 a.m.

It's also been kind of fun to see how quickly that loss to Utah State crushed all optimism by cougar fans. It's gone from "9-4 season!!" To "I can't wait for next year" just like that! Stand by your team cougars. The aggie fans have had to do it for a looooong time.

• Liman Ogden, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:37 a.m.

What a pathetic bunch of comments. How about a little respect for the Aggies? They came prepare to play and played a great game.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:34 a.m.

Ouch cougars. A 15 point loss to Utah State? I knew that byu was bad this year, but come on, Utah State? Really? Out of all the teams on their schedule, they couldn't even beat the lowly Aggies? That's embarrassing. I can't even imagine what San Diego State is going to do to the zoobies next week... Great game Aggies!!!

• Wildcat Ogden, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:04 a.m.

Congratulations to the Aggies. The diehard fans have been waiting a while for this. I have a question for everyone. Does this mean USU wins the Beehive Boot this year? Since the U of U and USU don't play each other this year, they can both finish 1-0, and I thought the tiebreaker goes to the team who hasn't had the trophy last. I thought it was between all three teams; anyone know? At least they have the wagon wheel back.

It's too bad USU didn't play the U of U this year. I still think the Utes would have the edge (really would depend on what team showed up the team that lost to San Diego State 41-7 or the team that scared Oklahoma), but it would have been a lot more competitive than the San Jose State game Utah played. If Turbin wasn't injured, the USU team could maybe have a one or two more wins at this point. Maybe this is the spark USU needs to turn the corner. Good luck!

• THEeyepatch Murray, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:17 a.m.

Like I said when BYU announced their back door way towards independence, "BYU will have a bigger target on their back's then the UTES will this season." I like being right.... AGGIES WIN 31-16, NICE.

Though I picked BYU to win this game, sometimes being WRONG isn't so bad.

• Ogdenite Lincoln, NE
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:59 a.m.

I watched the third quarter in a shoe store in Lincoln, Nebraska. At first I didn't believe that BYU was actually losing that badly, but then I watched them play for a few minutes. Wow. A few questions. Why does DiLuigi play wideout? Does he enjoy eating ravioli and cannoli? Does he have hands to catch the ball with? Is Utah State actually a decent team, or is BYU so bad that they make the Aggies look good? Good move for Utah, ditching BYU and the MWAC. I didn't even enjoy watching BYU play tonight.

• BYU Student Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:32 a.m.

This is atrocious. I never thought that we'd go from 11-2 to 1-4. Never. I thought we were going to win this game, that an extra week of practice would help Heaps connect with his receivers. And I still think Heaps will be good. I know what my GPA was like as a freshman, and how unprepared I was to be a college student. But with time, I've learned what it takes, and it turns around. Heaps will do it. His receivers aren't doing him a lot of favors.

Ashworth needs to be fired. He looks like he's not even trying out there.

The coaching is very suspect at this point. I miss the first couple years. It feels like Bronco has lost his fire, his desire to bring the team to its glory days. I don't know what to expect for the rest of the season, but after 4 performances in a row like this, I don't expect much. The worst BYU football team I've ever seen. I don't normally question coaches, but, you don't go from ranked to atrocious just because of new players.

• Jazzman72 Springville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:53 a.m.

They're a young team. They'll take their lumps and get some experience this year. Next year they'll have a bitter taste in their mouths, and a lot of motivation. Every program has down years. BYU has been spoiled to have a string of good years.

• Urpo Sherwood, OR
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:48 a.m.

Well, now that I have given some time for everyone to make comments, I am here to make sense of this whole thing for each of you. Thanks for waiting for me.

Utah State has a better team than BYU this year.
    Utah appears to have a better team than BYU this year.
    BYU has lost 4 in a row this year.
    Each team has lots of fun ahead of it this year.
    Fans are having a great time watching great games this year.

These are the facts. Nothing more can be said. I am checking out till next time.

• Bronco Loco Henderson, NV
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:46 a.m.

BYU wanted to go independent so they can get more exposure? Boy, did ESPN really expose BYU tonight! I bet ESPN is now having second thoughts about signing BYU to the network. BYU is possibly staring at a 1-6 record after the SDSU and TCU game. What a way for BYU to go out. Definitely not going out with a bang!

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:43 a.m.

Heaps is nothing but Heaped up Hype. The rebuilding year excuses is a white wash, a potential bail out talking point.

The coaching staff can no longer use the Nelson / Heaps duo qb rotation as a scape goat. I wonder what the spin doctor comments will be this week. Wow loosing to another WAC team, this looks like a 1 & 6 record after next weeks home game with SDSU who rolled over USU, ugly, ugly football.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:42 a.m.

@Otis Spurlock

Utah has the top 3 QBs in the state. All three would be starting at BYU.

Heaps is okay, if you take away all the hype. BYUs defense is the real problem, now that's 7 games they have been blown
    out since 2008.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:31 a.m.

Prediction ? Never made one nehu. I knew that the Y would not play well, there was never any doubt about that. The Karma of not keeping your word to players has come home and has settled in with the boy's from Provo.

From the goofy duo QB to starting a true freshman has produced the worst BYU team since 1973.

So prediction I never made one especially with the "Y" winning. I loved the out come.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:20 a.m.

BluCoug | 11:49 p.m. Oct. 1, 2010
    Provo, UT
    Wow, nothing but broken ute records. What a bunch of pathetic posters.

I think Cougar fans need to reassess their lives when they get on the internet and defend their team by calling other people losers on the internet. Says a lot about you. We will give you a pass, I would be frustrated if I supported a team that lost 4 straight.

• 9er4life Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:14 a.m.

I thought this was going to be a boring weekend with the Utes at a bye. But what a spanking by state. Real proud of Coach Anderson and I'm thinking this wins help him with his recovery.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:14 a.m.

Think of it as tithing. You have to give us a win at least every ten games.

Actually you have to give the Aggies some credit. I was at the game and it was amazing. USU controllecd both sides of the game from start to finish. Borel was clearly the most experienced qb on the field and the Aggies actually finished 4 quarters. Well done.

Go Big Blue!!!

• Terry Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 12:03 a.m.

Heaps is not ready start. Maybe they should give Lark a chance at QB. Receivers are the worst I have ever seen, one bad game dropping balls that hit you in the hands/chest is understandable, doing that EVERY game is UNACCEPTABLE! My 6 year old catches more balls I throw to him then they do!

Coaching and play calling is horrible! They are taking steps back, not forward! Preparation is sub-par, Bronco needs to put football 1st and show a little emotion! He admits football is like 10th on his list of important things! That does not work for a coach that wants to win and inspire his players!

In short, This is THE WORST BYU TEAM IN MY 38 YEARS OF LIFE! BY FAR THE WORST OFFENSE I HAVE EVER SEEN! BYU is lucky they have New Mexico, Colorado State and UNLV on the schedule or they would have gone 1-11 this year! Way to leave the MWC on top and enter independence/ESPN on a high note! PATHETIC!

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:49 p.m.

Wow, nothing but broken ute records. What a bunch of pathetic posters.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:42 p.m.

Another quality game by the byu team.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:40 p.m.

We are bad. Very, very bad. I think there is more speed and athleticism on a lot of 5A high school teams.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:31 p.m.

This has taken everyone by surprise. At the beginning of the year, I don't think anyone thought BYU would be this bad--not even you yewt trolls. I'm not buying the "youth and inexperience" line. Good programs just don't go from being quite good for 3 or 4 years to this bad. Even past "rebuilding" years for BYU won at least half of their games. You can talk about the coaches' and players' intensity level, the play calling, duel QB system, inexperience, . . ., but the bottom line is BYU lacks speed, talent, and athleticism in every facet of the game. Recruiting? Preparation? Conditioning? I don't know, but some time the coaches have to step up and take responsibility for this inept football team. I appreciate the optimism from some of the byu fans, but the byu team I saw tonight won' t win another game this season. In light of all that has happened this summer, this is truly embarrassing. . . .

• NevadaUTE Carson City, NV
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:22 p.m.

Didn't have to wait long for the excuses!!

BYU is struggling for several reasons:

1) Young and inexperienced
    2) Injuries
    3) Rebuilding, trying to replace key players and find an identity
    4) BYU has played opponents with a combined record of 13-7 (tougher then Utah's)
    5) One of those teams undefeated and two that have only 1 loss

Seems like the Utes faced these same things during their rebuilding year and still won 10 games. And for Pete's sake, BYU got dismantled by a 1-3 Aggie team! The season for Zoobs went from NC dreams; to BCS dreams; to maybe a last conference title; to we're rebuilding; and now finally you have this list......

• JNA Layton, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:17 p.m.

BYU will go 1-11 this year. I honestly think its possible they will lose to New Mexico. They are definitely going to lose to SDSU, Wyoming, get crushed by TCU and Utah and lose to UNLV. This team is a disaster!

• Nate J. Farmington, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:16 p.m.

I've never been really impressed by coach Bronco and crew. They've done a good job but my single complaint since Bronco took over the program is the lack intensity.

BYU coaches rely too much on teaching fundamentals and "execution". I observed the different coaching styles during the game tonight and it was night and day. Bronco stood there with no emotion on his face and and coach Anae calmly talking his players who just blotched a play. Even Bronco's attitude prior to the game was pathetic; commenting that this game wasn't that important. That it wasn't a deal maker. What kind of message dose that send to your players? It doesn't light a fire in the belly that's for sure.

As I observed Andersen and his other coaches they all were just fired with emotion and letting their players just have it if they made a mistake. I'm sure Andersen was getting on his players all week about the need to win this game.

Even with injuries BYU has more "talent" than USU. But it was obvious to me that the intensity problem at BYU is coming back to bite em.

• kdm Sandy, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:13 p.m.

Why do they keep waiting until the game is over before opening up the offence? Congrats to Utah State. You looked good. Played with more desire and heart than BYU.

• Hopeful Aggie Logan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:13 p.m.

I don't think the Ags are getting enough love for that win. BYU had errors and injuries, but we got them 31-16 (31-3 without the help from the zoo animals wearing stripes.) No Turbin, no Morrison + others. Here's hoping for more of that. Everyone talks about how bad BYU is, how about how much BETTER State looks! Still a long way to go, but that felt SOOOOO good!

• PAC Member, are U? Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:12 p.m.

Ok, so the tds isn't going 10-0 or 9-0. I hope Heaps comes out and promises "8-0." I know he can do it!

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:12 p.m.

It is so funny how some think this will now become a rivalry. When we trade wins every other year like BYU and Utah does, then we can call it a rivalry. BYU will rebound, they have a lot of growing up to do and the rebound won't be this year. All Utah fans who thinks this is the demise of BYU are just delusional. I can remember 3 decades of horrible football by Utah. I bet BYU doesn't go decades or even more than 2 years of losing seaons. This was an alround loss by the team, not just one individual. I will say that the recieving core for BYU stinks. They dropped so many passes it wasn't even funny but, BYU couldn't even run either. It's alright though, you can't dominate a team forever. This was not an upset win, BYU stinks and Utah State played a better game. They only upset the name, not the team. If USU were to beat BSU, now that would be an upset.

• mountains101 Denver, CO
    Oct. 1, 2010 11:02 p.m.

I'd pile on, but it was 31-10 late... no need for me to grab a shovel, BYU buried itself already...

Putrid team... and with the future games on the slate in the years to come, how will this team ever make a decent bowl game?

Great to have "coverage", but who wants to watch this team?

• Chase Saint George, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:58 p.m.

"3) BYU really belongs in the WAC"

Byu really belongs in region 7.

4 years of feast, how many famine?

This is making me sick!!

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:57 p.m.

Heaps will be a good QB with a little more experience and some solid WRs and a good RB.

The kid shows speed and a great arm. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up going down as one of BYU's best QBs. Certainly better than Max Hall.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:56 p.m.

U fan here and I'm not a BYU hater (just a simple, honest BYU disliker...) This thread should be giving a lot more credit to the Ag's and to Coach Anderson. This is a team that has played horribly over the last couple of weeks, had a great week of practice and came out smoking. I think a lot of teams would have had trouble with them tonight and would have came out pretty banged up as well. Rally around this coach and this team, Ag's. You have a bright future. I would LOVE to be in Logan tonight!!!

• kennyb Park City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:56 p.m.

I'm with Mickey from Houston. The Cougs stunk tonight and stink this season, but they know it. Tonight belongs to Aggie fans, let them kick sand after all of these years. Utes should stick to extolling our virtues and leave the trash talk to losers. It is absolutely true that ESPN rues their purchase, but "buyer beware". My hat's off to the Cougs for making the sale.

• RealityCheck Sandy, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:54 p.m.

Look for BYU to also lose to SDSU, TCU, Utah, and possibly UNLV. Are there any recruits still considering BYU or have they all abandoned the sinking ship?

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:46 p.m.

Relax Cousins, its going to be OK.

In a perfect world Jake Heaps would have had a year to be understudy to a Senior quarterback and learn the offense before he had to run it under pressure. Or at least he could have been understudy for 8 games like Jordan Wynn. Instead he's pretty much getting on the job training and its pretty rough.

Think of this year as an investment. It will start to come together and you'll have some great years with this kid.

A Ute Fan.

• Cougarbaseball Rifle, CO
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:43 p.m.

Are the only people who post on this Utah fans and fair-weather fans? Yeah, BYU has been really bad the past three weeks, but it isn't all the coaches' faults. It's a team loss which comes down to the lack of execution and preparation which is both the players' and coaches' responsibilities. Everyone in the program needed this game as a wake-up call. No more false security believing that the problems were all based upon a tough schedule. The Cougars team (players and coaches) need to go to work and eliminate the miscues and poor decision-making.

Each defensive player needs to focus on doing his job and getting to the right gaps. It also wouldn't hurt to blitz more.

On offense our QB's need to see the field better and find the open receiver instead of always throwing to covered receivers or trying to throw the ball way down the field for incompletions and wasted downs. Heaps also needs to use more touch on the short throws instead of trying to knock his receivers off their feet on passes that are only five to ten yards away from the QB.

• Joe Moe Logan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:39 p.m.

Kudos to the Aggies for working so hard and coming into this with HEART. From the first play they were in it to win, and you could tell. They pretty much hit on all cylinders. Very few major errors. Very hard work.

I did find it interesting that ESPN put up chart of BYU impact INJURIES this season, maybe as if to kind of help explain why they were being handled, but didn't put up a chart next to it of USU's impact injuries, like Turbin and Morrison. Or maybe I just missed it, I don't know. It is pretty sad to see so many injuries, though, period. And BYU with a couple more tonight? Too bad. They need all they can get to pull out a winning season, looks like.

And while HEAPS is pretty good for a freshman, it's becoming pretty clear that he wasn't ready for primetime. He'll be really good in a year or two, though. Maybe this is a rebuilding year.

Hey, RILEY, want to come back to USU next year? Maybe?

• UteMiguel Aliso Viejo, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:39 p.m.

"This is going to make it tough for TCU to make the NC game over Boise State." Jarvis, I don't think TCU was hanging its NC hopes on BYU having a solid year. TCU does have another top 15 team on its schedule though.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:38 p.m.

I hate to dog-pile. But I have to ask ONE question. Are you ready to stop mocking our basketball team now?

Good luck Cougars.

• B Logan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:38 p.m.

It is like sweet rain falling tonight in USU's college football desert. Nice win. They dominated.

Having said that, I am convinced that most of the people who have posted here tonight are either A)Trolls B)Fair-weather college football fans or C)Clueless about the game.

Yes, BYU is going to have an awful year. And no, they are not going to a bowl game this year. Keep that in mind, fellow Aggie fans. We just beat the worst BYU team in 35 years. Nice, but expected for a program on the rise.

I don't get why anyone would criticize Bronco Mendenhall or Robert Anai. They have a 50-19 record over the past 5 years. For those of you who think this spells the end of BYU, wake up and get serious. They are going to make some big waves in the coming years in the college football world.

• Oregon Ute Hermiston, OR
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:29 p.m.

Don't get down Y fans, you lost to a good Utah State team. Coach Anderson has the Aggies going in the right direction. By the time the end of the year comes around the Y will look much better. You just need a few wins to get over the hump. I just hope one of those wins doesn't come against the Utes.

• FlyingUte Murray, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:23 p.m.

To my fellow Utes. It's over! The rivalry is now Utah State vs BYU. It's been fun Cougars. Congratulations to The Aggies on a nice win!

• Laser North Liberty, IA
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:23 p.m.

Cougars WE ARE CHEERING FOR YOU!!! We know you have work to do but you will do it!!! Bronco has given us 5 great years, as fans we will give him all the room he needs to get his team crushing opponents again.

Never give up Cougars!!!

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:22 p.m.

Pendelton (Junior), Rich (Senior), Fuga (Junior). Presuming all injuries are season ending, do any guys get a medical red shirt 4-5 games into the season? I am a little hazy on the rule.

Quezada had some solid carries. Good to see the freshman getting some touches. Falslev had a great return.

Anyone have a speed camera to figure out how fast Heaps is throwing the ball? Curious to know why so many balls are being dropped (other than the number of throws). Put a bigger motor in the Jugs and tell every offensive player to catch 20,000 balls before Fall.

• Archie O\'Fallon, MO
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:20 p.m.

BYU's Top 10 Accomplishments:

1- Consecutive 10 win seasons ends at 4
    2- Heaps still thinks he's the greatest gift to BYU football EVER!
    3- USU had 11 starters out with injuries yet they clearly had the advantage over a team that doesn't know who their starters are...yet
    4- Heaps talks too much
    5- Heaps has now played 5 (count'em FIVE) games...true freshman? Yes. Best in the country? NO!! - - talks too much. Collie, Hall, and Jorgensen are proud of him
    6- Anyone remember the article Dick Harmon wrote in August where he claimed BYU's receiving corps is among the 10 best in the NATION?? Another great call, Harmon...so good at helping set expectations at a realistic level. Tell us again your complaints about Utah going to the PAC. Remember your Hall-like rant on your ESPN call in??
    7- How many dropped passes tonight?
    8- How many missed tackles tonight?
    9- Blown coverage on special Teams...who took over special teams this year?
    10- BYU firesides are the best!

Well done, Aggies...well done, indeed!!!!!!!

• statman9 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:20 p.m.

BYU is struggling for several reasons:

1) Young and inexperienced
    2) Injuries
    3) Rebuilding, trying to replace key players and find an identity
    5) One of those teams undefeated and two that have only 1 loss

BYU will continue to try and improve in their hard times with key injuries and these other problems.

• the longview North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:18 p.m.

BYU - Utah State is a great revitalized rivalry now with Utah in the PAC 12 and BYU's new strong ties with the WAC (as they fill out their independent schedule).

This can become a great rivalry that could really give Utah State a shot in the arm. Here's to many more great games between these two schools for years to come.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:17 p.m.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh smack, when the Yanskster starts reaching for the rip cord you have to be worried!!

Guess we can put the old SoS argument to bed now.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:16 p.m.

There is one positive to come out of this loss. There should be plenty of tickets available for the rest of the season for those so inclined.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:14 p.m.

I think the real problem is Jake Heaps. He is clearly not ready to play as a freshman. Last year, when Jordan Wynn played as a true freshman, he was sooo much better, accurate and stronger than Heaps. Bronco probably should have redshirted Heaps. Oh well, it's good to know that the Utes have the best quarterback (by far)in the State of Utah. Wynn is currently ranked as the 23rd best quarterback in the nation. Jake Heaps now sits at around 114. Not a good sign and not a good start.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:10 p.m.

defense is really bad offense is really bad special teams you know, anyone notice that the o coordinator and qb coach booth on the sidelines who is calling the plays. anyone in the booth. Never seen that before

• Ferg Draper, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:08 p.m.

Did anybody else notice Coach Anderson made no attempt to meet Bronco after the game to shake hands?

Maybe he just thought there was too much going on with fans rushing the field?

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:03 p.m.

Wow, that was a sad game. The end score was 31-16... but it wasn't even that close, if it wasn't for a last minute score. I had a little more faith that BYU was going to lose a close game.

I think that the players need to show a little more heart and soul and get into another game this year. If they don't MAJORLY step up, they will get pounded in the next 2 games against SDSU and TCU.

Hopefully they can win against Wyoming, UNLV, CSU, and UNM. Please, I'm begging all of the players to step it up and win. Too late for OOC games.

I don't see this team having a winning record this year. Sorry, this breaks the 10+ win top 25 streak the fans keep raving about.

• Archie O\'Fallon, MO
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:02 p.m.

All the credit in the world to Coach Anderson. How can he have 11 out with injuries and still put together such a dominating performance. Yeah, BYU is horrible but USU's corners play extremely well and the defense shut down BYU's running game.

Congratulations Coach "A" and the entire USU football team. Way to represent on ESPN!!!!

• Northern Logan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:01 p.m.

Its a good thing that BYU's MVP tonight was the ZEBRA's, you can attribute both BYU Touchdowns to them. Otherwise it would have been 31-3

GO AGGIES!!!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:01 p.m.

Worst BYU football program since I have been alive.

This is going to make it tough for TCU to make the NC game over Boise State.

• International Cougar Fan Tacoma, WA
    Oct. 1, 2010 10:00 p.m.

BYU is playing terrible, there is no question about that. But Bronco has a better record against Kyle. Bronco 3 Wins to only 2 for Kyle. What if this lousy BYU team beats Utah? 4 wins Bronco and only 2 for poor kyle.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:58 p.m.

Some observations. I will try to keep it positive.

1. BYU's offense will not work unless the TEs are functioning well. If they do not get open and catch the ball the defense can concentrate on the RBs and WRs. BYU's offense ran somewhat well when the TEs actually made a couple of catches.

2. BYU has never had a defense. Not in 4 decades. That is a recruiting and a coaching problem. BYU needs more speed not just experience.

3. There was NO pressure on the QB. That allowed Borel to cut up the secondary.

4. 1/2 of the time, Heaps ignores or does not see wide open receivers and throws to the receiver he decided on before the snap. He is getting the ball out quick but not going to the most open receiver.

5. The receivers are dropping balls they should catch.

Without the TEs, the play calling is very predictable. The running/short passing game can be stopped. The long pass routes can be covered.

Get ready for SDSU. Maybe some of the problems will improve.

There were some good plays from time to time.

• treecaps22 Charlotte, North Carolina
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:57 p.m.

#1) Terrible, terrible showing by our receivers. #2) More crossing routes and less fades and streaks! Our receivers do not run good fade routes - they run slants and cross routes. I'm tired of fade routes to 5' 10" receivers.

• Jeff R. Sheridan, WY
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:55 p.m.

Well, that was a spirit breaker. The Defense didnt show up, add losing Rich and Pendleton and you have a reciepe for a bad season. Injuries, DROPPED PASSES (counted 14 tonight!), and just no will to play. I praise Heaps in that he didnt get angry with all the dropped passes, after each pass was dropped, he just clapped his hands and got on with the next play. The o-line is huge but couldnt move their way on a bunch of middle schoolers. The D-line was missing fuga more than ever tonight. #49 J Wagner was a stud and needs to be the starter, I dont know have many times I saw him in the backfield. Overall, bad loss to stomach! Even in the Crowton years we beat USU, now i dont know whats worse, the bust of G Crowton or this anemic BYU team. 5-7 is looking good right now. SDSU is going to test BYU again next week and it seams like it doesnt get any easier the week after with a trip to TCU. 1-6, or 2-5 after TCU? Either way, its a bad transition year. Heres to 2011!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:49 p.m.

Gosh ... and just when things were going so good.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:48 p.m.

I think BYU will become the first team in history to lose their bye week.
    Anyone have Crowton's number, maybe we can lure him away from LSU.
    Every team on this pathetic team's schedule is licking their chops.
    This season won't end fast enough.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:48 p.m.

Re: satch | 8:53 p.m. Oct. 1, 2010
    Lehi, UT-- I'm a big Cougs fan from afar, and I couldn't agree more with Sath's comments. Good points; the same I was thinking of. Coaching has been very suspicious this year, starting with the crazy QB rotation and how a "starting QB" was muffled the first 3 games of the year. Y fans, we can pretty much kiss being bowl eligible (6 wins) good bye. Not the world will not come to an end. This is a much younger, ill-prepared team than I thought it would be. Jake will be that much stronger next year-- don't pin this all on him! But, can any of the DN reporters please be much, much more critical of the pathetic defense? All I read about is Jake and the offense. The defense, particularly front 7, has been terrible. My last wish is to PLEASE turn things around to beat the dreaded Aztecs, but the inability of the D to stop the run, I'm got my concerns! Let's go Cougs!!

• Rise & Shout 4 the Cougs! Sandy, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:46 p.m.

Football season can't end soon enough! Put me out of my misery!

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:43 p.m.

We are not pathetic - we are entertained! Finest for free!!!

Umm.....yeah, not the "difficult" schedule.

Really, what has happened? I am a Ute fan but have always had respect for BYU as a football program. This is bad, real bad. Something is wrong. My theory is recruiting is not going quite as well as we are lead to believe. If they are going to recruit on character(honor code viability), that is great and their right to do so but, call it what it is.

From a Ute fan - good luck the rest of the year, it appears that you will need all that you can get!

• PAC Member, are U? Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:41 p.m.

Wow. I knew the tds' season was going to be bad, but I didn't know it would be this bad!

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:41 p.m.

Does Coach Anderson always coach from the middle of the field?

So when do the Jazz start playing?

BYU/Utah game should be fun. BYU has nothing to lose and who knows? Likley thet get anothr spanking though.

If Heaps is the future the future is not to bright.

With Rich out the D is in huge trouble. Not that they weren't before that.

Until the offense scores 30 points BYU continues to lose. They may score 30 against New Mexico at the end of the year.

4-8 is looking mighty good about now. That might translate to 6-6 next year.

I'm looking forward to the Armed Forces bowl...in 3 years!

Bottom line is BYU is bad. Very bad.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:40 p.m.

We are NOT good and Jake is NOT ready.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:36 p.m.

Nice game for the Aggies... not so for BYU. Mendenhall really needs to to look at the coaching on both sides of the ball. You can't blame all of this on the players. The O.C. is too run oriented. He does not have the designed plays to run this group of players. His passing plays are stagnated and inaffective...thus too predictable. The simple fact is that this is an offense that should be using a lot more multiple crossing routes and spreading the defense more. The talent of the players is not the problem. The Coaching is ...Especially on Offense.

• John Stewart Pill Vienna, VA
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:35 p.m.

Hey the game's over. How 'bout an updated headline. Thanks. You ARE the main BYU reporting outlet, are you not? Let's give 'em some love! :)

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:34 p.m.

Well karma came back around!!! To beat the Y feels great especially after Big Hapa's prediction. Big Hapa my Kaysville brother you still don't think there was a little karma there, really? Great game by the Aggies.

No hate just objective observance Heaps is not that accurate in my opinion. No pressure but he couldn't hit the open looks. There were a few drops but if Heaps is the future, scary.

Go Ags!

• NevadaUTE Carson City, NV
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:32 p.m.

Alright, I've posted on BYU articles precious few times as zoobies have let us know repeatedly that Ute fans can't do that. Those same zoobs, though, have also blamed their ineptitude on their "tough" schedule and the Utes 4-0 start on their weak schedule. Well, zoobs, tonight was your night...you played a 1-3 team and according to ESPN you were "thoroughly beaten". What's the excuse now?!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:31 p.m.

Hey ESPN: you know that feeling you have right now? It's called "buyer's remorse".

• Curtis Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:24 p.m.

Holmoe's is a genius and his plan is working perfectly, tank a season so that as an independent other team's will schedule BYU.

• rickski13 salt lake city, utah
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:23 p.m.

did you see the way jake heaps owned the aggies on the last drive!!!!!!!!!!!

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:21 p.m.

Oh just wait.... now there gonna go 8-0 now huh??.... way to go USU how sweet this is so let's cherish it!!!

• Jim Marshall Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:16 p.m.

Fire bronco!

• Mickey Houston, TX
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:15 p.m.

It's funny that this is BYU vs Utah St. game and the majority of the comments are from Utah fans? Really guys?! BYU might have a pathetic team this year, but YOU GUYS are even more pathetic.

• SoCalUtahFanToo Irvine, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:14 p.m.

Which Gary is happier now, Andersen or Crowton?

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 9:10 p.m.

Did Ty Detmer just call Tom Holmoe?

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 8:54 p.m.

Your right, that last interception was so Max Hallish it's gotta be the defenses fault.

• satch Lehi, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 8:53 p.m.

WoW. I am a BYU fan, but I am confused. Good programs have up and down years, but they don't go down like this.

Watching this game. Not much coaching/teaching on this team.

Defense: Poort scheme, average team effort, bad tackling, and bad coverage. Can BYU make a 3rd down stop? BYU weakness is right down the middle- no LB to be found.

Offense: I like Heaps arm, but he is VERY inaccurate. Who was 2nd pick too? BYU needs to go back to 1927 to find this many dropped passes. The offensive line is big but can't move the line anywhere??? Once again, not much coaching going on.

Bottom line: bad preparation. I'm disappointed in the coaches this year. You shouldn't have this much a fall in a good program. Jaime Hill- whew, wow. We need the old Bronco that had his defense flying to the ball. I don't see that anymore.

Offense (first half), can we run a play more than 5 yards? Wow.

• AZ Dave Chandler, AZ
    Oct. 1, 2010 8:50 p.m.

Quick Tom, Call the WCC and see if you can play football

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 8:45 p.m.

That flee flicker play was awesome!

Spanked by 2 WAC teams! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

USU has been toying with the byu defense all game. They are terrible!

I really hope the coogs can beat NM and CSU.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Oct. 1, 2010 8:44 p.m.

Is it possible that BYU is the worst team in the nation?

• Elgabacho Washington, DC
    Oct. 1, 2010 8:40 p.m.

BYU's defense has been the problem this entire season. Quit worrying about the QB and start worrying about the defense.

• Ferg Draper, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 8:16 p.m.

Too many dropped passes.

Too much DiLuigi on 3rd down.

Give Utah State credit for dominating our defense.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 8:15 p.m.

Third bcs for utah. 3-9 season for byu. Could this season be any better? Should be tough choice for future recruits. Not!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 8:12 p.m.

Tds is the worst team in college football! Go aggies I am loving this! New mexico will even beat byu mark it down!

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Oct. 1, 2010 7:54 p.m.

Just wondering if this is the start of a new rivalry between BYU and USU, with BYU having a scheduling alliance with the WAC starting next year.

Will BYU's main rival be USU as opposed to Utah. The first half of this game indicates that the Cougars should not take a win over USU for granted. Not to say it is over for the Cougars, but USU fans should be happy now and I can envision a BYU-USU rivalry in football, like there is in basketball.

• duke5 vancouver, wa
    Oct. 1, 2010 7:50 p.m.

Game isn't even over and its the same old story. I guess Bronco has not been reading that the Fat Lady has already sang! Bye bye Bronco.

• Anti Bush-Obama Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 7:47 p.m.

ESPN is probably having buyers remorse when BYU is getting embarassed like this. If they don't win this one, they will might win 2 more the whole year.

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Oct. 1, 2010 7:47 p.m.

BYU's bowl eligiblity is very tenuous right now.

• Nafe Farmington, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 7:47 p.m.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 7:46 p.m.

Utah State 1-3 on the season has 24 points at the half.

BYU ... well they have some first downs. I think about 5.

at the first of the season I predicted a 3-9 season for the Y knowing they had no talent. I take that back ... 1-11 sounds more realistic.

Worst record, worst team , wost coaching and recruiting since the early 1960's at the Y.

I'm sure Bronco will tell us the team is progressing after the game. What you ya think .. 42 - 10 for a final score??

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Oct. 1, 2010 7:44 p.m.

1) BYU did not show up and was not well-prepared
    2) Offense, defense, special team: all have issues
    3) BYU really belongs in the WAC

• Jute19 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 7:44 p.m.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Man cougs are terrible this year.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 7:43 p.m.

Oops, I picked Utah state by 3, now that its half time, can i change that to 30?