Sports

Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward looks to upgrade game — not car

Comments

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Sept. 30, 2010 8:43 p.m.

i didn't booed Gordon Hayward when he was drafted...i was just happy that the draft started...and before the draft took place...i had looked up the players for the top 15 spots...read some scouting reports as well...but i know its not enough to base a player from...but still im excited about his potential...i hope he plays for Utah till the end of his career...this kid is a keeper...

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 2:02 p.m.

@Jazzman72

you must not remember Stevenson too well. Defense is what got him on the floor eventually. League-wide he is known far more for his defense than his offense. Just wanted to clear that up.

I was one of the ones who booed like crazy when we drafted Hayward on draft night. I actually got up and left, I was disgusted. But, i have liked him so far. Man, I cant wait for the season. Jazz are going to be awesome!

• Jazzman72 Springville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 12:54 a.m.

The key will be his defense. That's what endeared Matthews to Sloan. That's what CJ continues to struggle with. The Jazz have had some pretty good offensive wings over the years, (Stevenson, Pavlovic, Almond, etc.), but they couldn't play defense to save their lives, and now they're gone. One dimensional players don't make it very far.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    Sept. 29, 2010 4:24 p.m.

Like the comments about Hayward adding weight gradually. Anyway, the guys who HAVE to gain weight are the kind that can't adjust their body in air, the kind that don't fake real well. Hayward can do both of those things well already. He is still going to get slammed a lot going to the basket, but from what I saw of him so far, he's up to it. He's one tough kid who loves to play basketball.
    I remember so many Jazz bloggers bemoaning his shot too after he was drafted, just looking at one year's 3-pt. percentage. You're gonna love this guy's stroke if you haven't seen it yet. He already shows more consistent balance than CJ getting off his shot, although I know we are all hoping that CJ is going to keep improving, too.

• SoCal Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Sept. 29, 2010 4:08 p.m.

@ Rational Yes it is hard to add weight in the weight room. The guy is young and most likely has a high metabolism burn level. The only way to add weight is 1) to wait until his body matures or
    2) to use PED's.
    @ BillM75 you're right. Gordon already has many people helping him to get stronger and bigger.
    But, it won't happen quickly.

The bottom line is that Mental toughness is as good as physical toughness. How many "Big Guys" are there in the NBA who won't mix it up in the paint with other "Big Guys"?

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 1:55 p.m.

@Rational

Really? Who are you to tell him to hit the weight room? The kid is an elete athlete, he made millions of dollars because of the way he takes care of his body. He has dozens of athletic trainers and dietitians available to him.

But I'm sure he'll enjoy your advice too.

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 1:52 p.m.

Don't worry about adding weight, just keep getting stronger and the lean muscle mass will come when the tendons & ligaments are ready for it. Kid's still only 20 and will fill out, just look at CJ, much bigger now than last year.

Big puffy Boozer bodybuilder muscles are what lead to long stints on the DL with "strains", "pulls", and "the doctors are still trying to figure it out's".

LOL "Buy American", I bet that Accord was assembled in the US and most if not all of the parts were fabricated here too.

I too was not happy with the pick of GH, but it's looking better every day, esp once we picked up Jefferson. Ed Davis is already injured for Toronto.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 12:24 p.m.

--------

It's not hard to put on weight in the weight room, Gordon. Hit the iron.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 11:38 a.m.

Re Viva:

I also was not happy on draft night, I would have described my state that night as despondent. Picking some no name Jeremy Evens didn't ease my frustration either.

But after seeing how efficient he was in Summer League I began to change my mind. Then the Jazz pulled AJ out of a hat and all the sudden getting Hayward seemed like a great pick, Greg Monroe who?

Picking Evans is beginning to look more and more genius every day as well, and this could end up being a great draft for Utah.

We're about to find out just how good these guys are, but I'm so glad we didn't draft another project PF/C who would take 4 years to develop.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Sept. 29, 2010 11:04 a.m.

'"I tried to add some weight (over the past three months), but sometimes it's hard to put those pounds on," Hayward said."

Should have gone to Malone's boot camp over the summer.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 10:56 a.m.

Initially I was not thrilled with this draft pick. Mostly because I didnt know very much about GH.

Now I am actually very excited to see what he can do and Im very happy the Jazz drafted this 'type' of player and person. Go get 'em, Gordon!

Go Jazz!!!

• Viva Los Jazz Garland, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 10:41 a.m.

You've gotta respect anyone who gets could get any car he wants but plays it safe with an Accord. Steve Young drove an old Oldsmobile when he was a rookie in the NFL.
    I was impressed with some of his moves in summer league and his all around stats were amazing. He only had 9 points per game but also had rebounds, block shots, steals, assists. He should be able to contribute off the bench - he's a lot better than I expected. I'm not booing him like on draft night.

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 10:30 a.m.

This kid reminds me of a young John Stockton, and look what happened with that. Looking forward to watching him over the years. I think he'll contribute sooner than many expect. Honda Accord...I love it.

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 7:53 a.m.

really excited to see what this guy can do. Best of luck Gordon!

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 29, 2010 6:57 a.m.

He shut a lot of fans mouths during his summer camp. I see Gordan as being a guy who will do a slow burn toward becoming a strong defensive player. Here's to a great rookie season! Go Jazz!

• Draft dumbie Farmington, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 11:48 p.m.

Goooooooooooordan!