Sports

BYU football notebook: DT Romney Fuga out for season

Comments

• TAGZZ SLC, UT
    Oct. 1, 2010 2:37 p.m.

BYU Safety nearly snaps a Florida State Receivers neck and nothing was called... What goes around comes around I guess!!

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2010 3:23 p.m.

BYU takes out OU's Qback, its "good clean fun".

Nevada takes out BYU's Dback, its "an illegal play and a travesty against the spirit of football".

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Sept. 30, 2010 1:54 a.m.

Obviously the play was controverial. Most pro-BYU posters feel strongly that it was illegal, and the Nevada head coach agreed with them. But it wasn't called on the field, and officials from 2 conferences reviewed it and "ruled the hit didn't violate NCAA football rules."

The Nevada player's helmet and shoulder pads were in front of Fuga's knee, and the points of contact were the Nevada player's upper back and the side of Fuga's knee. It may have met criteria for being legal, but the play just doesn't look right.

I feel bad for Fuga, and hope he has a successfull recovery from a significant injury.

I don't feel qualified to determine the intent of the Nevada player's actions during the play in question.

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 29, 2010 2:50 p.m.

Utah, with hedgehog's, Otis's, and Sandy's support, will soon be sending out a press release supporting the decision along with an instructive video to teach future opponents the correct technique for delivering this type of block to Utah players.

• BYU, Now Serving Humble Pie Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 1:47 p.m.

From ESPN today:

"The WAC and Mountain West reviewed a low block Nevada offensive lineman John Bender delivered to BYU defensive tackle Romney Fuga in last weekend's game. Both conferences ruled the hit didn't violate NCAA football rules so no further action is required. BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall complained about the hit, saying it wasn't a "positive football play."

Otis and Hedge are pretty smart and accurate. Disagree with them at your own peril.

• BYU, Now Serving Humble Pie Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2010 1:21 p.m.

The MWC has officially looked into this block and they have just ruled that it was not an illegal block. Sorry byu fans, but Otis was right all along.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Sept. 29, 2010 12:58 p.m.

poyman,

The league has ruled that the infact the hit was NOT illegal and no further recourse is needed. I’m so sorry you “hate” Utah fans for commenting that it was an unfortunate event and that we feel bad about the set back — but to “hate: ute fans because they made the correct call on the play is…. desperate and self centered.

90% of what Utah fans comment happens to be the truth. If you can’t accept it then you should go to KSL or the Cougar Board and get what you need to hear.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 29, 2010 11:17 a.m.

@Otis Spurlock and Hedgehog...

You guys are pathetic... And, you make utah fans look pathetic.... Personally, having been a former athlete at BYU myself, I have come to expect this kind of sportsmanship or lack thereof from Ute fans....

Strength Training as "prevention" of injury for that kind of hit? That's just sadly laughable.... Maybe if you guys had a little strength training in your brain you guys might not talk like you do...

For sometime now, Utah fans have made me vigorously cheer for whatever team Utah is playing.... Max Hall has become an icon in my mind simply because he actually said what so many of us feel.

As badly as I dislike you guys though, I don't think that I could or would react the way that y'all have if one of your guys went down for the season (and maybe more, who knows)as a result of an illegal block that many think could be considered "cheap".

• Mr. Schneebly Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 11:23 p.m.

The comment regarding ligamentous knee injuries from illegal hits being preventable by improved training is simply not true.

Ligaments, tendons and bones are unable to withstand the force that comes from a flying 250+ lb. linebacker hitting an unsuspecting player from behind, no matter how much training and strengthening you do. Muscles are strengthened by training, and even then, knees are unable to handle that amount of force. Period. This is why those types of "cut" or "chop" blocks are not allowed.

I agree with the posts stating that these kinds of season- or career-ending blocks should be prevented by assesssing severe penalties on those performing illegal blocks.

If the refs don't call it in the game, and the conference has to review it later, there should be more than just viewing the tape involved. The extent of the injury to the victim of the hit AND the time lost from play should be considered when deciding on the length and severity of the penalty.

The fact that the conference officials chose to look the other way after knowing that Fuga's season is over means this kind of illegal blocking will continue...

• LV Aggie Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 28, 2010 4:44 p.m.

I thinking this will be a good game between to in state teams that just are not very good, the y becuase they are young and the Aggies because they have lost 11 starter and a coach that is on the IR!

• Recondite Holladay, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 4:03 p.m.

One doesn't seem to find a key stat on the Web, and certainly won't find it on the Wolf Pack site: JOHN BENDER (#62) led Nevada with two (not one) FLAGRENT FOULS! There was the one he was called for, the "TRIPPING" foul in the second half. Of course the guys in prison garb impersonating officials missed the premeditated WILLFUL KNEE JOB on Fuga. Once one might think unintended, twice is PREMEDITATED!!!
    -Recondite

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 3:54 p.m.

It is classy that the WP coach Ault issued a statement and truthfully calling it a clip, however, he could not be more wrong about the intent. The player #62 after the play had been replayed a couple of times on the jumbo screen, and the fans began to boo he raised his arms and taunted the crowd while nodding his head in the affirmative.

Actions do speak much louder then weak attempts at apologizing, ask Fuga.

The universe always has a way of repairing wrongs against it.

"POLY" Cougar Nation.

• cmck15 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 3:18 p.m.

Otis Spurlock-First off, none of the commentators said it was a clean hit. Second off, if you get hit like that, you can have the strongest knees in the world, and it would still screw it up.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Sept. 28, 2010 2:28 p.m.

Take the Marble grasshopper,

Spent time reviewing the youtube clip; Not sure if it was or was not illegal but it truly doesn’t appear to have been intentional. I think BYU fans are making a bigger deal out of an unfortunate event.

Move on. No ones out to get you.

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 12:55 p.m.

CALM DOWN Cougars. I just watched the video and it was definitely an illegal block, but it wasn't dirty. The ball carrier was nearby and the guy was doing whatever he could to block Fuga. Dirty? That denotes it was intentional. I don't believe it was. Illegal? Yes, definitely. It is unfortunate for sure.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 12:27 p.m.

Take the Marble, Grasshopper | 10:10 p.m. Sept. 27, 2010

Are you such a hater that you can't even read Nevada's coach's comments. He stated that a flag should have been thrown on HIS OWN PLAYER.

I feel for both players. Errors are made in sports. I hope that Romney fully recovers. I also wish the NV player and team well. They should give Boise a good game.

• JMT Springville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 7:31 a.m.

It is pretty classy that the Nevada coach commented as he did.

My guess is that Mr Romney will be a far better athlete for this. A great deal of athletics is your mind and with injuries athletes focus more on skills, etc. I'm thinking Ituli Mili who insisted that his knee injury made him a better tight end and helped him stick with the Seattle Seahawks.

• mt_cicero Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 7:17 a.m.

Watched the youtube video again. Frame at second 05 of the video clearly shows the Nevada player a step behind Fuga and Fuga running away from him when he launches himself at the knee. Clearly illegal.

• TJ2407 Springville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 7:09 a.m.

I didn't see the play so I will not comment on if it was dirty or not but something that bothers me is that I do not hear anything about BYU players getting angry about it and doing anything about it. I do not condone dirty play but but I do love when Derek Fisher thinks someone took a cheap shot at a teammate and he will commit a hard fould and get a tech foul or when a pitcher throws the ball at a player who he feels took a cheap shot at a team mate. I do not like cheap shots but I do feel that a roughing the passer penalty would have been appropriate if it was a cheap shot. Again I did not see it but I have heard it was cheap. I just wonder why if it was that no BYU player hit the NEV QB after a pass.And please don't give me the bigger man speak and don't give me all that. I just know that if it was my teammate I would have laid a hard hit on someone.

• Skierelmo Oakley, UT
    Sept. 28, 2010 12:58 a.m.

As a former athlete who's career was ended by a knee injury I truly feel for Fuga, and wish him a full recoverey.

But as far as dirty or not dirty, the ball was behind the block in question. Dirty? Yes! Illeagal? No. In fact, I couldn't find video of it, but a couple years ago Nai Fotu of the Utes was injured on a much dirtier play than that.... on a dirty block well away from and after a play by a BYU OL. When Utes fans called it dirty, we were told we were whiners and he was just "playing to the whistle". Now Fotu is out for another season (reinjured the same knee). And it's time for you to catch the same name calling and critisism..... Isn't kharma cruel?

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:37 p.m.

There are two different videos on YouTube and the 2nd one shows a better angle. It was VERY obvious in person that the guy was behind Fuga and just taking a cheap shot to keep Fuga from getting the runner. If you were watching the play at all, you couldn't miss it-- right next to the carrier.

A penalty on that play would have most likely stopped a drive that ended in a TD. Beside the score, it's dangerous and the Nevada coach admitted to it being a clip. Hopefully that means he will take the disciplinary action the ref's didn't.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:35 p.m.

"It was a clip. There's no question about it. It was a reaction to a screen pass and it should have been called."

Quiz for the day. Who said it? Was it Bronco Mendenhall. Was it some unknown mtn commentator? Was it Barack Obama? Or was it the coach of the Nevada football team?

If you want the answer then you will have to go back and READ THE ARTICLE. Then come back here and offer a fresh new brainless comment.

• Take the Marble, Grasshopper Lindon, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:10 p.m.

As much as it pains me, Otis Spurlock is correct. This was not an illegal block. I think it was a cheap and unnecessary block, but definitely not illegal. Good call, Otis.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:54 p.m.

I've watched the play several times. It was legal to do what he did, just like it is legal for AF, it was however extremely cheap and dirty. If I was in that position I would never have done it, besides Fuga was long since out of the play. I feel bad for the man. Knee injuries are terrible trust me I know.

• The Beagle Ogden, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:26 p.m.

Grow up people. It was not a dirty play. It happened in the field of play during a play. It did not happen out of bounds or after a whistle. I am sure the Nevada lineman feels bad about it and would take it back if he could. Football players do not want to see other football players injured regardless of which side they are on. Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:17 p.m.

Otis anf the rest of you true haters.

The block was below the waist outside the tackle box and was in the back. If you know anything about football then you know it was illegal on both counts. Take off the crimson colored glasses!

No one can justify this block. And we have further proof of the ineptitude of mwc refs!!!

That said, it did not cause BYU to lose the game and it would not have been appropriate for Y players to try to injure the clown responsible for this act, but it sure should have fired them up! Not much life shown in Provo this season from the head down!

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:07 p.m.

It was a very sad and unnecessary play. It, however, was not a "clip". A clip is a block from behind and below the waist (Back of the legs). This was a low block from the side. In High School or Federation rules this is an illegal block below the waist. The college rules are a little different and this may be a legal block, but still very dangerous.

A comment on why no official saw the play… Each official has his area of coverage. Those areas’s shift and change as the play develops. Uncovered area’s open and close as the play moves. In addition, the officials are on the field and are looking through and around players. There are blind spots. We, as officials, try very hard to get the call’s right.

I whish Rommey all the best and a speedy recovery.

• PAC Member, are U? Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 8:56 p.m.

It was a cheap, unsportsman like hit. Nevada should come out with a level of discipline that fits the act. A message needs to be sent to play the game right!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 8:31 p.m.

@Mt. Olympus

I checked it out. You do realize the camera was a side view don't you? The guy being on the left of Fuga was behind him.

It was an illegal play. The guy blocked from behind Fuga causing his injury.

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 6:23 p.m.

@ Hunt

Look up Fuga BYU on youtube.

You will see that the guy is in FRONT of Fuga the whole time. How is it a block in the back when he is in FRONT of the guy?

• Sensitive Steve West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2010 6:15 p.m.

I will take the high road and ignore all of the bitterness coming from so-called fans.

It is normal to be in denial, I suppose. Perhaps those fans will need it when Utah annihilates them in November.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 5:58 p.m.

All the Utah fan's that think it was a legal hit stop it!!! even Nevada's coach said it was a clip.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 5:34 p.m.

Very sorry to hear about Romney. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 5:02 p.m.

@byu_num_1 | 3:32 p.m. Sept. 27, 2010

To be a block from behind does not mean you have to be directly behind the player. In this case the hit was made from the side but he was clearly a step behind as Fuga was already past him when the block was thrown.

• JJ Morales Earlimart, CA
    Sept. 27, 2010 5:00 p.m.

It was clearly a dirty, classless play. How could the refs miss it? Then again, the refs did miss a few calls in Saturday's game. The WAC should suspend the Nevada player for 3-4 games to send a message.

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 4:44 p.m.

And to reiterate I do not at all agree with that "aiming" being good sportsmanship but I do expect it will happen. Technically Nevada had no bone to pick with BYU and they took a cheap shot, I think Red is pointing out you can expect more of the same from the teams who do have "a bone to pick."

Wyoming
    SD State
    New Mexico

Teams that have nothing to lose because they know they probably won't win the game anyway.

Fair? No way but I think it will happen too Carman.

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 4:40 p.m.

RE: Carman

I think you missed the point as what red was saying was that yes BYU will meet its obligation but not without having a target on their back, not without having to lose a guy or two or three to cheap shots because teams are "aiming" for you.

But enjoy the ESPN contract.

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 4:37 p.m.

@Sensitive Steve

No one is making excuses for the team's performance. Fans are mad that not one single ref saw what happened to Fuga and that he's now out with a season-ending injury with no action taken against the player who caused it. There is a BIG difference. This has nothing to do with how the team is performing. We know the team is not that great this year, so that isn't the argument.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 4:34 p.m.

@Otis Spurlock | 10:47 a.m. Sept. 27, 2010

Strength training? Are you kidding me? You think that would have made the difference in Fuga avoiding injury due to an illegal chop block from behind. That kind of block will blow out a knee every time. I don't care how much strength training you do. The second I saw the block I knew his knee was blown. Heck, by the way the entire BYU side line reacted, they knew.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 4:28 p.m.

Speaking from the point of having suffered a carrier ending clip that blew out three of the four major ligaments ACL,PCL & MCL it does not change the out come of the injury whether it was intentional or not the damage is irreversible and the life long problems are now in motion.

Wrong place wrong time, need to be quicker on your feet, um whatever you non sufferers try to come up with it does not change the fact that Fuga has suffered a life altering injury and his knee will never be the same.

When he is in his 40's he will be getting a Total Knee Replacement. Well that is if the Government health care plan allows him to.

"POLY" Cougar Nation

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Sept. 27, 2010 4:21 p.m.

what was even more disgusting than the dirty play that took Fuga out was that no BYU player was man enough to take one of Nevada's players out.

BYU's defense should've drilled Nevada's QB until until he left the field on a stretcher. Way to stand up for your teammate boys...

• Wldflwr Lehi, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 4:04 p.m.

@SensitiveSteve - What are you talking about? Give me an example of excuses that we are making. This is a re-building year year for BYU and we have a lot of inexperienced players...no excuse, just fact. Show me one post where we are blaming our poor start on injuries or on the Nevada "scapegoat"
    You go on to say "I think BYU needs to just stop pretending to talk about being something they're not." Just what are we talking about being?
    "And I think the fans need to wise up to the reality of this team's inexperience and lack of depth." We have been aware of this reality for quite some time now and the majority of us have accepted this fact. Glad you are now just coming around to the reality of what BYU fans have known for awhile now. Now try to post something relevant and something we don't know already.

• mr. j Cottonwood Hts., Ut
    Sept. 27, 2010 3:41 p.m.

The injury was unfortunate but i don't believe there was bad intent. Fuga had a beat on the ball carrier and the lineman had only one way to block him. To avoid getting a clip he tried to dive in front. Bad luck that the guy was a 325 pound o-linemen who was too tubby to get out if front of Fuga's knees instead of to the side of them. If he was more athletic he would have gotten out in front and tripped Fuga sparing his knees. Legal. Dirty? You be the judge. I say he was being stupid but he was just trying to play football.

• byu_num_1 Holladay, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 3:32 p.m.

It is too bad Fuga got injured, but I do not see anything in the rule book that says the play is illegal.

What rule did this violate?

It definetely does not violate chop block, because only 1 guy was blocking Fuga.

It also does not violate clipping:
    ARTICLE 1. a. Clipping is a block against an opponent occurring when
    the force of the initial contact is from behind and at or below the waist
    (Exception: Against the ball carrier) (Rule 9-1-2-d).

The block was NOT from behind (if you think so please watch it again).

Please someone look up the official rule book (as I have) and find where it violates any rule.

Sorry Fuga got hurt, but from what I saw this was perfectly legal.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 3:15 p.m.

That's because his name is "Romney". All Romney's are out of it.

• Sensitive Steve West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2010 2:58 p.m.

All BYU fans want to do is make excuses for how poorly the team is performing.

Injuries are not going to serve as a cover for the losing efforts. People are always going to look for a scapegoat in these situations, and the scapegoat here so happens to be the Nevada player that was trying to contribute to the game.

Please do not make this out to be some "unfortunate problem."

Let's be honest about this: BYU's team is not what it was cracked up to be before the year started, and even after the Washington game.

They didn't deserve their preseason rankings, and they are not strong mentally to deal with the intensity of the competition they are facing.

They may have a tough schedule, but no one seems to be making excuses about it. That is commendable.

But otherwise, I think BYU needs to just stop pretending to talk about being something they're not.

The more the injuries pile up, the more BYU's bowl chances will be threatened.

Accept it.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Sept. 27, 2010 2:33 p.m.

BleedRed

All teams in the top 14 can be considered for BCS bowl games. BYU and teams in the MWC will have the same opportunity for a BCS Bowl invite.

You are confusing the goals of the Utah Athletic Department with those of BYU. At no point has any representative from BYU announced that they are leaving the MWC to increase the liklihood of a BCS invite. BYU's repeated goal is to increase visibility and exposure.

BYU's move to independence is about leaving the mtn. TV network. The MWC was a good conference for BYU. It remained their best option, except for the TV deal.

BYU is very fortunate that their worst recent season falls in 2010. They were able to negotiate a TV contract based on the previous five years, and they should be going strong again their first year in independence.

BYU (like Utah) will fulfill all obligations to the MWC and the mtn. Network. Please do not insinuate otherwise.

• y be good when U CAN BE GREAT! Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 2:32 p.m.

Sorry byu fans, it sucks to lose a player for the season, but if you pause the play you see Fuga's left leg hit the back of #62, it wasn't from behind, and it was from the side, which is legal because he wasn’t engaged.

Now, you need to protect these guys’ knees, but as the rule stats today it was a clean block, just like AFA does, you may not like it, but it is clean!

Regarding how the refs “zebras” missed it, well it was either a clean play or....it was the same way your safety rips a FSU player’s helmet off by the facemask 10 feet in front of the official and there was a no call!

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 2:23 p.m.

Does anyone know which knee he blew out? He got hit on the left side but when you watch him walk off the field, he is favoring his right knee. Watch it back, you'll see it.

Conspiracy theory: BYU saw the season collapsing after the AFA game so they staged a shoulder injury to Nelson and a knee injury to Fuga so they could have a scapegoat. Neither of them are actually hurt, it's just an excuse for a poor season.

Ok, that was a joke so don't get all uppity on me BYU fans. Whether it was from the side or behind, it was a cheap shot and the player should be suspended for at least a game.

• RS Holladay, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 2:21 p.m.

Fuga was clipped outside "the box". It was therefore an illegal block, not because it was in the knee. The refs just missed it, amazingly.

However, why won't the NCAA change the rule regarding blocking below the waist? It seems insane to me. How would it hurt the college game to simply change the rule and make it the same as high school? I am suprised there isn't more push for that.

• carman Midland, MI
    Sept. 27, 2010 12:41 p.m.

To BleedRed:

Thanks for going way off topic after your Fuga comments. Response to your off-topic, bubble-headed points:

With respect to loss of the automatic bowl game, are you referring to the BYU bowl in Vegas? Not much to give up, is it? And no conference championships!? This is the only slight downside to leaving the MWC. And it is only slight. An MWC championship gives a team something to play for when the early season, non-conference games go poorly. But the MWC isn't well respected anyway and the TV contract with the mtn is more than onerous. There are positives and negatives to leaving.

As for the contract thing, your morality tilt is funny. BYU will meet its obligations to the MWC, you don't have to worry about that.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 12:34 p.m.

It was not a dirty block or illegal. And Otis is right.

• steel Murray, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 12:18 p.m.

In highschool football you cant block below the belt outside the box,in college you can.That being said was the defender close to the ball carrier?I dont know,I didnt see the play.I see Air Force cut block down field, all the time.It's to bad this kid got hurt.

• Batman South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 12:16 p.m.

I am no referee, but those of you claiming it was a legal block are up in the night. You cannot hit a guy below the waist from behind. You can hit them in the back in the box. You can go low from the front, or chop block, but not while the player is engagged with another blocker. Bottom line is that it was a clip, low from behind, and not a legal block.

At least I believe I am 95% correct.

• BleedRed Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2010 12:15 p.m.

BYU fans wonder why everyone is against them. Go back and reread “mtseatss”, he is spot on. I agree the Fuga hit was uncalled for, nobody wants a player hurt, I hope Fuga returns. Y fans should be enraged with the independent decision. I don’t think Holmoe thought it through. I hope you didn’t break your contract with the MTW which does not represent well our teachings. If BYU has a couple of mediocre season your programs down the tank. What can you offer top recruits? Zero Championship conference titles, zero automatic Bowl bids, (Notre Dame has to place in the top 8 to receive a BCS invitation) The Y has no agreement in regard to that with the BCS. The only thing you have is an ESPN TV agreement which may not last long if the games aren’t exciting. Coach Edwards built a great program, I hope its not ruined by a stupid decision. Your work is cut out for you, you have a target on your back this year and I hope my Ute’s and the Coug’s play straight up clean and hard this year. Good Luck Fuga.

• Maverick/Goose Blue Orem, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:50 a.m.

I feel really bad for Fuga. Not only for the physical pain but losing his season. If it wasn't such a punk play it wouldn't be so hard to swallow. Injuries happen in football but not like this.

Almost as bad is sharing this State and comment board with those who are so blind by hate that they can't even admit when something bad has happened to a Cougar.

Go Cougars! Even if we are 1-11.

• Rob of NV Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:36 a.m.

The illegal block was obvious. What is interesting is the same NV player, #62, who injured Fuga got flagged for a tripping personal foul later in the game. This player resorts to dirty tactics when he cannot do his job. Coach Ault should suspend this player for the rest of the season, unless this sort of activity is condoned by the UNR Coach and his staff.

• Roboto Magna, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:36 a.m.

One game suspension? It's football people get hurt if you play ball long enough you will be hurt. It's a fight out there if you don't keep your head on a swivel then you are going to take hits like this. But byu fans demanding a suspension.... get real

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:35 a.m.

It was a legal block

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:27 a.m.

Otis,
    You know less about the knee joint then about what happened on the play. This has nothing to do with strength training. The ligiments will tear on anyone that is struck from the side or rear and is fixed to the ground.

No even a Utes' knee could have withstood that blow.

• WindowSeat Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:14 a.m.

Hey otis just so you know no amount of strength training will help your knees like that. There are no muscles in your knee. and secondly the mountain does not have experts that work for it. That was a dirty shot and I want blood!!

• Rainman Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 11:07 a.m.

I agree with carman. There needs to be some kind of consequence. Like happens in the NBA, there should be a review after the game if a ref misses a call to determine if punishment should be given out. The guy should be suspended for at least a couple games.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:56 a.m.

Cheap block for sure. Did not need to happen. AFA does this all the time too. Most teams that focus on the run will use it to their advantage.

Get well Fuga!

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:54 a.m.

If the refs on the field are charged with making calls and miss an obvious call,

Then the ref in the box is equally responsible, if not more so, and should have the authority to make that call off a replay.

It is inexcusable that this shot was not penalized!

If I was a ref, I'd lose sleep over this one.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:47 a.m.

Big_Ben,

You are about as big of a UTE fan as I am a fan of byu. Almost all of your posts are anti-UTE. All I said was there are experts out there that feel this block was legitimate and not illegal. I agree with this assessment. Strength training is the key here. With more strength training (and less pickle juice) these types of injuries would be less frequent.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:28 a.m.

Die hard ute fan. That was a garbage play. I apologize for Otis Spurlock, he is an embarassment to ute fans. Cheap shot through and through. I hope the Wolfpack loses him for as long as BYU loses fuga. ridiculous.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:19 a.m.

Chop blocks should just be made illegal. There is no valid reason for them in the game and they should go. Airforce might lose every game without being able to use them but it would sure save a bunch of knees.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:16 a.m.

A dirty play that changed the course of the game. The refs should be relieved from duty...oh wait, they'll remain in the MWC and BYU won't have to deal with them after this season!

• cougs-r-great South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:09 a.m.

If there is an attorney out there who is a BYU fan he needs to talk with Fuga and sue the guy and his coaches for personal damages. I am not one for suing but in this case the coaches saw the replay and new it was cheep, he should have been pulled right then. Hans Olsen said that type of blocking is taught. We as fans cannot go do a Tanya Harding on this player but it could set a precedence in the game of football that if you cheep shot someone your gone just like any other sport.

• coachcarter Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 10:07 a.m.

The hit on Fuga still makes my blood boil, and I'm a die-hard Ute fan. I was at the game and the play happened right in front of me. It was such an obvious cheapshot, I could see it plain as day from the 4th row. Hope this type of play isn't what the UNR program is all about. Eat your heart out Louks lol. Go Utes, and until November, Go Cougs

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:58 a.m.

What makes it worse is that it was a cheap shot in the wide open field that the blind refs wouldn't call even though they saw it 6with 60,000 other fans.

• ByuFan Randolph, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:56 a.m.

Hey factcheck i agree with you what the heck channel was Otis watching, must not of been the Mtn.
    What a cheap shot wake up Otis

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:50 a.m.

I just went and watched the play on youtube since I had only seen the replays they showed at the stadium. The guy throws himself from behind right into Fuga's legs. He ends up rolling up the side of Fuga's leg and obviously shredding Fuga's knee.

If thats not dirty than I don't know what is. Eye gouging and biting are about the only things I can think of that are worse than that.

I've never seen an entire sideline react like they did to that play. It seemed like every BYU player and coach saw it, but all the refs somehow missed it. It seemed like all the coaches came running out onto the field screaming at the refs before the play was even over.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:45 a.m.

That play angered my greatly. Not only should there have been a personal foul 15-yard penalty, I think the player should have been kicked out of the game. It was an obvious no-no, and he got away with knocking a player out for the whole season.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:44 a.m.

This was as bad a hit or cheap shot as they come. In football, one of the cheapest things you can do is hit a player in the back of their knee. There are several rules about blocking at the knee level. The player who did this was also flagged for a personal foul later in the game for tripping, again, a potentially dangerous type of "block".

But what is equally frustrating to me is that nobody on the BYU team took it upon themselves to take care of the situation. It is like in baseball when a pitcher throws at a batter, the opposing pitcher, if he has any fire to him, takes the mound in the next inning and throws at the first batter that comes up. This is part of the problem with this BYU team. A lack of fire! Once they saw that the refs weren't going to flag this guy for the obviously dirty hit, then somebody should have taken care of it on the field, between the lines, by drilling that lineman.

C'mon Cougs. Man up and fight! You cannot just walk away and let things like that happen!

• VegasCoug Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Such a dirty play that led to this injury... infuriating!

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:26 a.m.

Hey Otis... you 'agree' with the tv commentators. You are not talking about the Mountain halftime show I guess. There was a pretty heated discussion. One dude was livid and thought it was as dirty as it gets. The other guy sort of agreed, but said he did not think it was intentional. So you must have been watching something else.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:19 a.m.

Good luck to you, Fuga. I hope you heal quickly and well. The Cougar Nation is cheering for you.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:14 a.m.

He will be missed. Best wishes on a speedy and full recovery. Can't wait to have him back next season.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:13 a.m.

I feel bad about the injury. Injuries are always bad. However, I have to agree with the t.v. commentators from the Mountain who watched this play over and over in slow motion. It was not a dirty block or illegal. Maybe more strength training would help prevent these types of accidents and injuries.

• carman Midland, MI
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:12 a.m.

I saw the illegal block during the play. It was low and from behind - inexcusable. There should be zero tolerance for these types of blocks. A rule that hit a player with an automatic 3-game suspension for this type of block, with a full season suspension if deemed egregious, would end this type of behavior. It would make offensive lineman and backs think twice before making a desparate play such as the one saturday.

Even if a penalty is not called on the field, these suspensions should be available based on replay or film review. It is not right that a player work as hard as these players do, and lose a season of play and have an injury that will follow them potentially for life, not because of misfortune or accident in a contact sport, but because of blatently poor sportsmanship, carelessness or even malice. Don't get me wrong, I don't know if the Nevada player meant to injure Fuga or make an illegal block. But I guarantee that block would be much less likely if a stiff penalty awaited the offender.

• Common Cents Lehi, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:04 a.m.

Feel terrible for Fuga. Great kid. Tough when you get hurt from a no call lime that. Lost key player for season, no 15 yd penalty on 3rd down, and it resulted in a score for UNR.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:03 a.m.

The Nevada player should also lose his season for the cheap shot that hurt Fuga! This type of play should be dealt with harshly! NO excuse. None.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:02 a.m.

Fuga was was clearly fouled by an illegal 'dirty' block below the waist. How many eyeballs do we need from the zebras? There are six or seven officials and the play was out in the open field. How can someone miss something like that? That Nevada player should have been flagged and ejected from the game. It was intential. Shame on him and the clueless officials.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:02 a.m.

Is this the guy who was injured by that cheap chop-block?

• VenezuelanCoug Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 9:00 a.m.

No, he did not "injured his knee", it was a cheap shot that "injured it" for him.

• BleedingBlue@theU Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 8:57 a.m.

Best of wishes to you Fuga! That was a dirty hit, and it is hard to see injuries happen like that. Heal well, heal fast, we are pulling for you!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Sept. 27, 2010 8:56 a.m.

This injury is even more sad considering that happened on such a dirty play. I don't know how the refs missed it. I hope the other player finds a way to apologize to Romney. Putting your helmet into somebody's knee is despicable, especially outside of the tackle box and coming from behind.

I hope he makes a good recovery and is able to come back next year.